Dreadnaught IPA - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,784
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

An Imperial India Pale Ale with an intense citrus hop aroma, a huge malt body and a crisp finish.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev -11.6%

22oz bomber poured into a chalice.

Many thanks to Tizzod for sharing this on my Midwest visit.

Pours a dark orange-amber with small head that recedes to a ring with little lacing--typical ADIPA color.

Aroma is a sweet and aromatic hoppy mix, grapefruit and pine, but cooked, mellowed, a hint of funk. Creamy mouthfeel from the high ABV and soft carbonation.

On the palate there is a sweetness and slight funk that may hint at some poor transport or storage in its history. However the roasted pineapple, smoothly bitter finish balanced by this swetness, and the funk is actually pleasing and complex rather than being a distraction. Other 3F products brought from Chicago showed no spoilage so I can believe that this is the effect the 3F were going for. A mellow, sweet, highly aromatic DIPA that is a nice example of the style. The sweetness and high ABV detract from the drinakbility a tad for me but I usually like IPAs more than DIPAs.

4.35/5  rDev -1.4%

First and foremost, this is a great beer but I do believe there are better DIPA's out there...I've had a few I thought were better already.

Pours a dark amber with a near inch thick head and nice carbonation. Sticky lacing after the head dwindles to a thin, staying layer. Smell is somewhat muted and this isn't too cold. Big spicy grapefruit citrus...very interesting for sure but not as strong as many others, though still lovely. Taste is big on juicy citrus hops with a little bitterness but there is still a great use of sweetness and again a little spice with the malts. I don't find it to be overdone on either side, although it is different. I love the mouthfeel of this one. Sticky, creamy, tingly, everything that reminds me of an exceptional DIPA feel. Nice drinkability, this is one that I can handle on almost any day and offers something pretty unique to the world of DIPA's. I probably won't get to try it again any time soon but very recommended and one I'll probably keep on my wants list...

Thanks goes to jmp30 for this treat.

4.53/5  rDev +2.7%

Bomber.

A) Very clear, surprisingly so. Nice orange/amber/copper color. One finger head that laced the glass nicely.

S) Huge hop and citrus fruit aroma. Mango and peach come to mind.

T) Big and rich. The complexity is nice. Again, I do taste mango alongside the full hop character.

M) Good like other DIPA. Not over the top in my opinion.

D) I'd drink this all day long if it wasn't so freaking expensive and hard to find here in So Cal!

4.03/5  rDev -8.6%

Appearance: Orange-gold with millions of hop or yeast particles in suspension, good carbonation, nice head and lacing.

Smell: Not as strong as I hoped, but still a nice citrus aroma.

Taste: A very nice balance of malty sweetness and citrus hop kick. Not overly bitter.

Drinkability: Quite tasty and not dehabilitatingly strong. If that's a word.

Another beer I brought back from Milwaukee and one that I knew I "must" bring back. I thought it was very good but not quite up there with my all time favorite DIPAs. Maybe I got an older bottle, but I'd still recommend this one.

4.5/5  rDev +2%

Enjoyed this on draft at the Clark Street Ale House in Chicago for $6 for a snifter. Man oh man, this one packs one punch of citrus, mainly grapefruit. Nice orange with a half inch head that stays in the glass, notes of light hops. Cannot tell the alcohol content in this one. Refreshing, complex, and satisfying to the last drop.

4.45/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Another impressive Three Floyds brew that I got thanks to StoutsNIPAs.
It is bright golden, almost orange with a light, off-white head.
The aroma is quite impressive, hoppy and flowery, very powerful but still quite pleasant, and it lasted throughout this big bottle.
Smooth and creamy, it is, as expected, heavily hopped, but still shows a nice balance as is quite obviously a nice trait of Three Floyds. Hoppy and bitter, it alternates with some maltiness that can even (if rarely) be a little sweetish. Additional flavors include earth/buttery, lots of fruits but almost never a noticeable alcohol.
Very easy to drink, and different than other reviewers suggested, it went nicely on a very hot day.
Keeping in mind I am not a very big fan of hops, this is some brew that deserves many repeats.

4.7/5  rDev +6.6%

Served at 50 degrees F.

Glowing copper apricot edges around a burnt sienna body. Sticky, smallish, glass-crawling, dirty off-white head. Juicy, resinous, sticky, pungeant, funky, ripe hop aromas mix with equally juicy butterscotch, Juicy Fruit gum, caramel, and cookie malts. Nicely balanced and I really like the Columbus-smelling hop funk.

Toasted malt leading edge. Juicy, herbally bitter hop flavors quickly emerge. They become funkier and more pungeant and very delicious! Sweet, sticky, fruity malt bursts forth. Pineapple and other tropical fruits with a butterscotch/caramel foundation. Resinous, piney, numbing, delicious bitterness reclaims the finish. Warming, with lingering sugary fruit sweetness and numbing bitterness. Fantastically well balanced and does not disappoint! Full-bodied and syrupy with a gentle creamy feel. Great stuff! Thanks mynie.

3.48/5  rDev -21.1%

An amber, orange beer with a thin head.

Smell is filled with citric fruit, grapefruit and oranges. The malt balances this and gives the beer a sweet, biscuity malt smell.

Taste is bitter, tongue numbing bitter and has strong citric notes of orange zest and grapefruit, not sharp or anything. The hops are also not very aromatic, meaning resinous or piny.
To balance the high bitterness there is a strong malt backbone, which is sweet and sticky, appears to have a lot of dextrines in there. This really inhibits the drinkability in a strong way. Although this beer is balanced, I feel that either the hops and the malt are overdone, hops are too bitter and malt too sweet and full-bodied. I can't help to think there are better examples of the style that are over the top.

Thanks to dogfooddog for this beer!

4.45/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours out a cloudy amber yellow with three fingers of white suds. Not a lot of lacing occuring here.
Smell is wonderful.Cherry and orange and grapefruit and lemon zest. Nice hops along with a strong yeast and sugary malt.
Very clean taste here but the smell is much better than the taste.
I am getting sour cherry and grape and a sugary sweetness that is simply perfect. This tastes great.
Mouthfeel is a little oily but the aftertaste is complex and very nice.
The only time I can detect the alcohol is after the beer is down the gullet I can feel a warmth past the back of the throat.
Very nice and different from anything I have had so far.

3.8/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

It pours a hazy orange with a slightly thick foamy head. Sorry, but I.P.A style beers don't look that great, especially when you compare them to any stout out there. Though, they do look a whole lot better than your average peepee yellow lagers.

Smell is pretty citrusy with no hint of alcohol. Pretty suprising when you consider the high alcohol %.

Taste starts off like most I.P.A's, but then the high alcohol content kicks in and your mouth starts warming up. The downside to this beer is that it wasn't complex enough for me. It started Citrusy, warmed up, and then became slightly too bitter at the end. It's almost one dimensional, when you compare it to St. Bernardus ABT 12.

Like I said before the alcohol really warms up the mouth, and I prefer that in my beers, as long as it still goes down smooth afterwards, which IMHO this beer did not.

When it comes to drinkability it's too subjective. I personally would drink this again if someone else bought it. I myself did not like this beer enough to warrant a second purchase.

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

The color is an amber-light reddish orange. It has a good strong hops smell with fruit and nut in it. This beer is all about the hops. It does a much better job that so many other microbrews looking to push all the hoppy goodness they can. It’s bitter but doesn’t have that tree bark bite that usually goes hand in hand. Good stuff but expensive.

4.7/5  rDev +6.6%

This beer by Three Floyds is all that an IPA should be and more. Dreadnaught pours clean and golden with a light white head and a bit of lace.

The aroma is splendid. Fruity, bitter, and earthy with a blusterous hoppiness. Awesome, with hints of lemon and pine.

The flavor is that of pure unadulterated hoppy goodness. Bright and bitter with a massive blend of fruit and hops. The finish is a bit sweeter and smooth with notes of pine, lemon, and orange. Fresh and aromatic.

This beer initially coats the palate with an appetizing bitterness but finishes clean due to a nice tight carbonation. This beer is literally chocked full of flavor.

4.28/5  rDev -2.9%

I have waited long enough! I got this in a trade with akorsak, so thanks!
Poured a nice deep orange color with a small head forming that left a thin film to hang around.
Aroma- let us see, full-on hops, not pungent but very rich with grapefruit and other citrus notes with a very subtle piney aroma.
Mouthfeel- Great hop bitterness that is intense and then lets the malt come through just a touch before giving a very citrusy-piney finish. Nice thick resinous mouthfeel. I pretty much tasted mostly grapefruit and I thought of Simcoe hops. This was worth the wait and this one is a solid hop bomb! Cheers,
Joe

3.43/5  rDev -22.2%

Three Floyds Dreadnaught Imperial IPA
22 oz bomber
Medium pour in a tulip glass
Recent brewing, braved 05/07

Poured a clear amber orange with a small mostly diminishing white head.

Smelt of strong pineapple and citrus, and moderate caramel, apricot, light banana.

Taste was upfront strong sweet mango apricot and oranges with a bitter grassy and spruce hops followed by a strong bitter moss and dry leaves yeast on a moderate finish.

Palate was creamy, lively carbonated, medium to full bodied lightly cloying and strongly astringent.

Overall, a rich malty sweet IPA loaded with fruit flavors and a generous hop bite. Not a personal favorite though, it was fairly hard to drink a whole bomber.

4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured into pint glass. Dark Orange in appearance, almost rusty. At first, the beer showed a nice fothy half inch white head which later turned to mediocre lacings.

At first smell, a pleasant piney and hoppy sent were notcied. Also, some citrus, lemons and oranges maybe grapefruit. Spicey undertones, caramel, coriander and something meaty, maybe pork?

Nice punch of hops, that is well balanced with the malts. Starts off bitter and finishes sweet with caramel flavors. Alright mouthfeel, decent carbonation. Maybe a little alcoholic. Overall; a well done IIpa, but no five.

2.75/5  rDev -37.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I was very excited to try this one. However, I got an old bottle that had started to oxidize. There was no hops in the nose; only a sweetness dominated by wet cardboard. The appearance was clear and the head formed nicely but fell too quickly. The flavor had some good hop flavor, pale malt sweetness and pineapple type goodness. But the staleness was prominent and could be tasted around but was still disappointing. Anyways, I am adding this one just to let others know that there are stale bottles of this on the market; so buyer beware.

I still appreciate the trade with mcallister for this one. It is hard to know how fresh the beer is.

4.4/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured in tulip, finger head with lacing. Color is bronze and thick. Pungent aroma of orange, wood, lemon. Sweet, pine taste with a nice alcohol kick that leaves a pleasant touch; excellent malt & hop balance.

A fantastic Imperial - two of these bombers could be fatal. A great way to start any night.

4.53/5  rDev +2.7%

Purchased at the brewery, should be the latest batch.
Served in a 3F imperial pint glass.

Pours a glowing peachy orange, light haze due to bottle conditioning. Around one or two fingers of bubbly foam that settle to a skim in time. Lace rings the edges.

Aroma of pineapple, orange marmalade, sweet resiny hops, and pale malt. No hint of harshness, very inviting.

Hops figure big into the picture, but not to a level that rearranges your face. There's nice balance here, and a fine silky texture to the brew. A low to medium level of viscosity. The understated sweetness of the malt & sugars counter the slight astringency of the load of hops, which makes for a very pleasurable experience. ABV is imperceptible, which could be dangerous.

First thing that hits the palate are the hops, followed by burly malt with a touch of sweetness. Aftertaste is dry and resiny in the back of the throat.

This is not the intimidating hop bomb that I first pegged it as. It's an approachable Imperial IPA, that deserves it's place in the upper echelon. Also damn tasty, i'll be looking for this on tap during the summer.

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

The beer pours a nice golden color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It's balanced wonderfully with loads of malts and hops. The hops really call out to me. I've waiting to try this beer for a long time. The taste is awesome! It's smooth and malty with a huge hop explosion. It goes down easy and finishes bitter, but with a balanced malt taste as well. It's high in alcohol, but not warm in the finish. It's huge with hops, but not overbearing. The malts are there, but the bill is not too complex. This is a beer done to perfection. The mouthfeel is great. It's a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is the best Imperial IPA I'v ever had; period.

4.63/5  rDev +5%

Went to Chicago recently and came across this highly-praised brew at a little beer store outside of the city. I had to see what all the hub-bub was about.

I'm not that impressed with the appearance. Creamy white head that dissapated quickly with little to no lacing. The color, however, is a really nice golden amber with orange hues. Looks warming.

Huge hoppy smell, grapefruity, citrusy hops. Gets me excited to taste it!

Taste is outrageous, and very much on point for a DIPA. Hop overload, smacks your palate with a HUGE punch at first. Not offensively bitter tho, as it finishes a bit sweeter than I was expecting. The malts hardly balance the huge hops, but they make their presence known with the sweetness at the end. I'd recommend this to every hop head around. Thick but not too thick, and quite properly carbonated. A great beer for chilling out on a spring evening :)

I'd give it a higher drinkability if it were cheaper, and a tad lighter. I've drank half a glass and am already feeling the effects :)

All in all, it's a great beer, if not a little pricey. Worth the hype? I'm willing to buy it again!

A good, but overrated beer.

Nice head and retention, poured into my tulip glass/

Smell was malty (caramel mainly) and hoppy. Not that in your face, though.

Taste is malty and hoppy. A little too malty for a double ipa, but balanced nevertheless. I thought this beer was about 8.25% alcohol. Slightly deceiving.

Mouthfeel is decent, clings fairly well, but nothing spectacular.

This beer is easy to drink, and I could make a session out of it. However, there are better DIPAs out there.

4.45/5  rDev +0.9%

This review has been edited after I've tried this a second time...

S--Creamy orange and lychee fruit. I must say that I've never seen lychee fruit used in describing any beer. Perhaps I'm the first? At any rate, I feel rather pretentious for even mentioning such a flavor....

T--Somewhat thick, very hoppy but the hop flavor is interestingly balanced with fruit.

M--Extremely smooth; excellent balance of thick and thin.

D--Price limits the drinkability....I now realize this is my third review and each time I've criticized the price of the beer. I'm really not some fanatic in this regard, but in these cases I feel it's a strong factor--I can think of one other beer in this style that I like just much, which costs a good deal less. Still, there is no real criticism I can give to this beer otherwise....

4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a nice light copper color, with a nice white head.

Aromas are candied, sweet, pine like, and with a bit of a citrus grapefruit like smell.

Taste is bright up front. There is a creamy malty backbone that is really apparent. Finish is crisp, bitter, and tart. The hops show up nicely on the finish. A pretty well balanced DIPA.

Mouthfeel is excellent. This one sits nicely in the mouth, full and very well rounded.

Overall, this is an extremely drinkable and well done DIPA. There are others that I prefer in the style, but this is still a top notch beer, and well worth the high ratings that it gets.

Got to try this again thanks to brandoman63.

this pours a nice, thick, orangey light amber with just a slight haze. just looks big and menacing in that little bowtie at the pub or a tulip at home. off-white creamy, beautiful head and persistent lacing. aromas are huge and upfront, with the citrusy sweet hops (like fresh orange blossoms) dominating along with some fresh bread dough, honey, pine, and floral notes. prominent sweetness at the beginning is eventually overtaken by the huge, but smooth hop bitterness in this beer. absolutely refined and not in any way rough around the edges like some other ipa's or dipa's. balance is superb. super long finish, only at the end of which is the faint warming alcohol (hidden in the aroma and taste)kick noticeable. huge bodied and viscous. dangerously drinkable. the best dipa i've had, hands down. note: i have had a light-struck bottle or two wherein some fishy aromas have developed. make sure it's fresh and not light-struck...just go to the brewery if possible.
i've had many special moments with this beer and could go on and on.

4.22/5  rDev -4.3%

Dreadnaught proves, to my delight, that the West Coast does not have a monopoly on the DIPA style.

Pours a slightly hazy deep orange. Minimal head that vanishes quickly. Aroma a very thick, rich sweet grapefruit. I had an Alpha King before this, but this is something entirely richer.

Taste follows perfectly, and perfectly to style. Juicy fresh hops are the star, but there's an appropriately thick base of sweet malt. Silky and dense, but not viscous. Finishes bitter.

This is a huge beer, but ultimately not unbalanced. It's not easy to create something of this level of quality.

I find most DIPAs just too much of too many good things, and Dreadnaught is no exception, but this one ranks with the best of what California produces. Although California's top DIPAs retail at $5 a bomber, not $10 like Dreadnaught...

Dreadnaught IPA from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub