Dreadnaught IPA - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,809
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001

An Imperial India Pale Ale with an intense citrus hop aroma, a huge malt body and a crisp finish.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros

This is the king of IIPAs. Hands down, no questions asked.

Pours a super hazy orange, not much of a head but no matter....

This thing assaulted me with its citrusy hop aroma 2 seconds after I cracked it open. Unbelievably citrusy aroma, pineapple or peach or something.

This is just over the top hoppiness here and I love it. Juicy citrusy hop flavor all the way. You know what you're getting when you open this and it doesn't disappoint.

Fabulous all the way around here. Too bad I didn't get a case. Got 5 left and was thinking about trading some but not sure I can get rid of this.

4.63/5  rDev +5%

22 oz bomber

A: Deep orange/copper color with about 1 finger of creamy white head. Head doesn't stay all that long, but long enough to look good in the glass. There is a slight haze to the beer.

S: Soft hops. Flowery/piney hops aroma is very pleasant and not overpowering. Also, there is a backbone of malt aroma. Very complex and inviting.

T: Wow! Perfect amount of maltiness and hoppiness. Starts out sweet and fruity and finishes very clean and citrusy. Not overly bitter like some DIPAs. The lingering taste reminds me of grapefruits. Complex and wonderful. Again, wow!

M: Great body and mouthfeel. Full but not syrupy. Carbonation is balanced.

D: I could definitely have a couple more.

Overall, probably the best D/IPA I've tasted. Pick one up if you can.

4.85/5  rDev +10%

Pours a hazy orange with an inch or so white head that quickly dissipates. Looks good, but not great.

The aroma, and the taste, are excellent. A pine/malt backbone, tons of delicious sweetness from mangoes?papayas?apricots? and a host of other fruit all layered with a bitter grapefruit hop aftertaste. Mouthfeel is just thick enough.

Great, if I had this available locally, I'd be buying it regularly.

4.45/5  rDev +0.9%

A 22oz bomber, delivering a keg's worth of taste...

A – Poured a very hazy orange color. Not much head, leaving some bubbly patches on top.

S – About as rich and aromatic as any IIPAs I’ve tried. Plentiful malt characteristics come through the strong hops. Scents of toasted grains, grapefruit and fir.

T – Again, the word rich comes to mind. A very well balanced malty roundness really grounds the intense hops. Very bitter at the finish. Some notable tastes of grapefruit and conifer sap. Truly a balanced flavor with a sweet full maltiness and a cutting bitter hoppiness.

M – A smoother fuller beer than some, it has an oily quality with a little dryness from the alcohol. Again, an interesting balance of full and light, thick and thin.

D – I find this beer very well balanced and flavorful. The fullness and alcohol demand that this beer be sipped somewhat lightly, leaving it less drinkable to the weak-of-palate.

4.4/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Reviewed from notes

A - Deep orange with nice white head

S - Big hop scent (citrus, floral and pine) slight bit of sweet malt.

T - Big citrus flavor with some pine resin. Nice carmel malt backbone balances this out very well.

M - Creamy and full bodied

D - This is a sipping beer, but a very good one

Overall, one of my favorite IIPAs. Just really great hop flavors which FFF does so well, but still balanced out superbly.

4.1/5  rDev -7%

Orange gold in color with almost no head, probably due to 9.5% alcohol. It has visible yeast from bottle conditioning. Taste is overdone in way that I am quite fond of. Lots of sweet malt, lots of hops some sweet fruitiness. The more I drink it the more I like it. It’s a little light on carbonation but has a nice sticky mouthfeel.

4.83/5  rDev +9.5%

Snagged a bottle of this at Sam’s in Chicago while at home for an interview. Been wanting to try this bad boy for quite a while. Drank from my Bear Republic Red Rocket Ale glass.

Appearance- Pours a reddish orange with terrific clarity and a nice big fluffy white head. Leaves a spotty cap and big fluffy collar. Crazy amount of huge sticky lacing that doenst want to let go of glass.
Smell- Whoa! Big apricot and pineapple citrus is huge. Definitely the biggest burst of citrus I’ve ever smelled in a brew. Doughy and full of malty goodness. A bit of alcohol but not all that much.
Taste- Wow, I honestly thought this thing was going to blow my taste buds off with bitterness, but it’s really nicely balanced. Apricot, pineapple, mango, and even a bit of raisin. Slightly sweet with a toffee like malt backbone. Sweet but not cloying, bitter but not ridiculously numbing. The alcohol is hidden pretty well and it finishes with a lingering fruity bitterness.
Mouthfeel- Full bodied. On the verge of being syrupy, but manages not to be. Medium carbonation that is spot on.
Drinkability- Well the $11.99 price tag really knocks the drinkability down but this is a terrific brew. Crazy balanced for being as big and bitter as this thing is. Three Floyds has managed to brew yet another winner. Super tasty stuff!

4.83/5  rDev +9.5%

This is my favorite IPA. I heard a lot of hype about it and it lives up. It exceeds. It's almost worth a roadtrip to Milwaukee or Chicago (the nearest distribution that I know of to MN).

A: Hazy orange-amber. Plenty-o-head, but not perfection.
S: Pine(apple), Citrus, Hops, you know...but something tropical, too.
T&M: Comes on strong like a hopbomb should, but what's that? A nice malty backbone, too? Oooh yeah. Drying, drying, no burn. just yearn.
D: Where did it go?

A BONA FIDE MUST TRY, even at its high price!

3.93/5  rDev -10.9%

I had high hopes for this expensive beer, which is locally available in bombers. I was let down. I like bitter, but the bitterness of Dreadnaught overpowered the taste, as is true of some other over-the-top double/imperial IPAs. I want to have enjoyed this more than I did, but the taste just wasn't there. If it were a bit cheaper, I'd give it another try to be fair.

4.58/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from a bottle a warm hazy apricot color with a light off-white head and not much with the lacing.

The aroma is incredible with lots of malts, apricots, caramel, and citrusy hops in the background.

Taste is a beautiful combination of sweet malts and citrusy hops. The alcohol comes out to say 'hello' but doesn't overpower.

Medium mouthfeel with an oily slickness to it. Carbonation is very light.

What a beautiful beer! I haven't enjoyed a beer like this in a while.

4.85/5  rDev +10%

Bowtie on tap from the brewery.

Pours a golden orange/amber hue. It has a medium dark off white head and left sheets of lacing from the top to the bottom of the glass when I was done with it.The floral bouquet on this beer is just about the best I have ever smelled before. Heavy pine and grapefruit scent with slight scents of orange citrus and more hop resins. The first taste is all hops. This is so well balanced because the hops are not overpowering or overly bitter but fresh and provide a unique flavor. The malt is a perfect balance to go along with the heavy hop bitterness. Sweet caramel notes also come into play as the beer warms. The mouthfeel is very heavy and coats your entire mouth and throat on the way down. The drinkability is very high for me. It's bitter, but not so much that I don't want to keep on drinking this.

4.55/5  rDev +3.2%

Great beer sent my way via westweasel in a nice trade – salud!

Hazy amber pour, ivory head died fairly quick – but what the hell can you expect from this big booze bomb.

Lip smacking citrus aroma with a touch of prickly pine tossed in for good measure. Woody and resinous quaff, not as west coasty as I imagined – but still presents some orange and spice for an extra kick.

Stuff drinks like a dream, I’m only sipping, but this bomber is disappearing at an alarming rate! The big alcohol is nowhere to be found. Tasty, you have to try one.

4.85/5  rDev +10%

Poured into bowtie glass at the Three Floyds Brewpub in Munster, IN.

Appearance: Pour was deep orangish with a slight reddish hue with a beautiful hazy quality. Head was good and quickly dissipated with some lacing on the glass.

Aroma: A godsend. The smell of apricots and mango's. Some piney hop notes. I couldn't get over how wonderful the hops were. Some malty and a trace amount of alcohol.

Taste: This is probably the best IIPA I have eve had. Flavor's of hops and malty. Balance is perfect so that it is not overpowering as many IIPA's can be. Alcohol character is well disguised and I was surprised to later learn that this beer was 9.5% ABV. Bitterness is not lingering. Retro-nasal hops aroma makes burping fun.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is good. A slight drying from the hops but negligible alcohol burn in the finish.

Drinkability: This might be the best thing about the beer. The balance of hops and malt and sweetness and bitterness just flowed. I could have sat and drank this beer all day (I wanted too). I can't say enough about it. Its the best for a reason. It hides lots of aroma, taste and alcohol in the most enjoyable package ever.

I love it.

4.6/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer is not normal

It pours a clear warm orange. This beer's color is an exploding star in the brilliant brewniverse.

Sticky smells of malt, tree resin, hops, and alcohol waif through across time and space.

This beer is so smooth I did not taste the alcohol until the third sip. It has that great citrus/pine resiny coating on the back of the tonuge/palatte, a DIPA should have these days. Big beautiful Telly Savalas malt bill. Odd flavor of the beer: a creamy DIPA. Pliny certainly aint creamy. This is a beer I wish I brewed.

MMM...

4.22/5  rDev -4.3%

One of the best of the style for sure and maybe one of the best beers i've had period!
A burnt orange / copper color with little head and lacing. Clear and clean, not much carbonation.
Sweet malts with the always present grapefruity and pine tones but blended together nicely to make a great smelling brew.
Fantastic mouthfeel, thick and full ,coated the mouth nicely and left a resin on the lips- nice.
Great taste ! Drinkability in my opinion is high based on the flavor but this is potent stuff- not an all day affair - drink with care- and of course share only with those who will appreciate this tasty treat!

4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a clean orange-ish copper, with a tan head. Aromas of a balance between grapefruity hops and a sweet malt. In the taste, a sweet malt and dry grapefrutiy hops. A hoppy, yet smooth mouthfeel and a grapefruit hop, bittersweet aftertaste. Big hops, yet balanced. Not too bitter in the mouthfeel. A fantastic double IPA.

4.83/5  rDev +9.5%

I got this bottle in a trade with autumnaldave. Thanks Dave!

This pours from 22oz bottle a clear medium gold with a small and fast shrinking head of foam. There's some spotty lacing that hugs the side of my glass.

The smell is huge on the hops with grapefruit and some floral notes and I can just smell a bit of malt hiding in the background.

The taste on first sip....wow, it sure fooled me. Yeah, the hops are what I first noticed and they're powerful and tasty with grapefruit and some pine but the malt holds its own here. Wonderful caramel malty goodness that gives the overall tasting experience a so darn balanced flavour that it leaves me shaking my head. It finishes slightly bitter but the aftertaste leaves a nice malty taste that lingers on for quite some time. And...where the heck is the alcohol?? It's not noticeable in the taste at all and there's just the slightest bit of warming after the swallow. Well done!

It has a medium bordering on full mouthfeel and the carbonation is lightly done. What a sipper! I'm pretty sure that this is the best example of the style I've ever tasted. I've had samples of Dreadnaught at the last couple of GABFs that I attended and thought it was something special. This bottle proves that I was right. Thanks mucho again, Dave, for a most enjoyable drinking experience!

Bottom line: If you like your DIPAs to bring both the hops and the malt to the table, this one is for you! It's an amazing brew!!

4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

Purchased on 3/5/07 at Warehouse Beverage
Pours a cloudy thickish orange/amber color with some white lace pools and sticky ring. Aromas of prune, general tropical fruits, big floral and herbal hops, pineapple, caramel malt, and slight estery alcohol. Hops offers a big herbal spiciness and pine oils that are softer than expected. Citric fruits with a mellowed acidic bite. Burnt caramel, prunes on the tart side, and big sweetness...candied sugar with flashes of honey. Finishes with some larger pine notes, herbals again, spicy, and dry. A nice weight to the mouth on a silky smoothness that leaves a little slickness on the palate. Carbonation diminishes to allow just a nice crispness. Alcohol heat is largely unnoticeable...dangerously drinkable. Some of the bright hop flavor might have been lost in the aging but enough remains and lends to a nice richness and balance. A tad pricey at $11 for a bomber.

4.88/5  rDev +10.7%

Thanks to my friend Jonathan for this sampling. Served in a University of Michigan glass, Go Blue!

A: Medium/light amber with a captivating cloudiness. Pours with thick, pure white-lace head.

S: Very impressive. Layers of hops, floral aromas, sweet hop oils, citrus and a malty sweetness.

T: I think what is most impressive about this beer is that even with an insane amount of hops there is still a balancing sweetness that is well delivered with the high alcohol. The finish introduces a citrus flavor along the lines of a mildly sweet grapefruit. Captivating. The 9.5 alcohol content creates a warming sensation that does not quit. An IPA Winter Warmer? You got it.

M: Very smoothe and mouth-filling, oily but light.

D: So much flavor and complexity you will want more but the high alcohol will limit you to a couple.

Best American IPA? Got my vote. Admittedly I am not the biggest fan of IPA style beer but I have to say that if more of them had half of what this beer delivers, I would be. An analogy? Dreadnaught is to other American IPA's as a cup of french press Italian roast coffee is to police station decaf. You have to try this.

4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

22oz bomber. No date coding. Thanks Tangfoot!

A: Hazy orange amber. About a finger's worth of foam that died pretty quickly, but is leaving some nice lace.

S: The smell is GREAT. Equal parts citrus and sweet caramel. Lovely!

T: Tastes good, but doesn't seem to be as intense as the aroma. I'll re-evaluate as it warms up a bit. I can taste honey and caramel, piney hop resin, and some bitter citrus. Can't even taste the alcohol.

M: Smooth, mouth-coating oily goodness. A little sparkle of carbonation in the middle.

D: Very drinkable. My first FFF beer, and it seems like they're living up to their hype.

4.13/5  rDev -6.3%

Purchased at Lone Hill Liquors.

A – The beer poured a dark, hazy orange color. Not very much head, but that could be because the bottle may be past it's prime. Great lacing.

S – The beer is very aromatic. The fruity hop profile is very evident. I'm getting mango and peach.

T – The beer has a very malty backbone, which makes sense given the high ABV. This beer is screaming Simcoe, Centennial, and Cascade hops. The taste is very floral. This is most certainly a hopbomb, but it doesn't scream bitterness to me. Nonetheless, I find the taste to be very pleasant.

M – The beer is medium to full bodied. Very rich for a DIPA.

D – The ABV is very well hidden in the maltiness of the beer. This makes this one very drinkable. However, since it is FFF and I live in California, there are plenty of substitutes for this beer at a much cheaper price and more in line with my idea of what a DIPA tastes like. Nonetheless, this is a solid beer and I definitely recommend trying it, but not giving up an arm and a leg for it.

4.72/5  rDev +7%

Poured into a La Chouffe tulip.

Aside from my remaining bottles of Dark Lord, this is the last beer I have from DLD '07. The memories of that day may sway this review a little bit, but I have been nothing but impressed by anything 3F that I've had the pleasure of trying.

Pours a totally opaque orange to amber color with a feathery white head that sticks around and leaves a ton of lacing on the glass. There is a noticeable amount of pine in the nose, some citrus, and a distinct sweetness. Citrus sweetness and floral bitterness gives way to a balancing sugary sweetness for a very complex flavor. Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy with a good amount of carbonation. This is an excellent DIPA. I could easily drink this all night. Highest recommendation.

4.43/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Pours a hazy, bold orange with two fingers of foam. Active carbonation is present. Solid lacing on the glass.

S: Lots of citrus hops in this one. A bit of floral hops and some pine. A hint of sweetness is mixed in there too.

T: Damn, this is amazing. Incredibly well-balanced for a DIPA. the hops are huge, with tons of citrus flavors dominating the front. A huge caramel malt backbone balances it out wonderfully. The alcohol is present, but barely noticeable. Incredibly balanced.

M: Smooth, creamy, with a crisp finish.

D: This is a very drinkable DIPA. The taste is fantastic. Highly recommended.

4.28/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a New Belgium globe glass.

A: Pours a deep dark orange color with a thin white head.

S: Lots of citrus and floral accents along with a bit of pine.

T: Loads of citrus, most of it sweet in the form of candied fruits. A big sweet caramel malt base to go along with all of the hops. The 9.5% pops up every now and then although it does a decent job of hiding it. This is a big beer in every way: hops, malt, viscosity and alcohol.

M: A very interesting mouthfeel. It's thick, viscous, creamy, and loaded with slick hop oils.

D: A very good DIPA, although very different than the west coast varieties that I'm used to. It's definitely a sipper due to the thickness and the alcohol.

4.4/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a GREAT DIPA! Seek it out. Go for it.

It was delivered in a 12 oz bowtie glass at the FFF brew-pub. Minimal head over a coppery colored beer. Lace nice and pronounced as I drank.

The nose was subdued, but I could get a whiff of the floral/ citrus hops.

The taste: Very Nice! Very pronounced floral/citrus hop blast with a nice caramel malt sweetness to balance this out. Even a diacetal buttery taste to give it some creamyness.

Mouthfeel: Robust, creamy, smooth, rich.... everything I want in a DIPA.

Drinkability: Excellent beer to cap off my evening at FFF. Certainly a sipper.... but fantastic for a DIPA.

Dreadnaught IPA from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.