Dreadnaught IPA - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

Wants: 1,774
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

9.5% ABV 99 IBUs - A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavor is both smooth and memorable.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dreadnaught IPA Alström Bros
4.97/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured from a firkin on Dark Lord Day at the Three Floyds brewpub..

A hophead's dream. That pretty much sums it up.
The flavors are perfectly blended, and the bold grapefruit & pine hop taste is just nothing short of incredible.
Easily one of my favorite all-time beers. Three Floyd's hop monster never disappoints. I felt blessed to try this beauty on cask.

hero27, May 15, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer pours a light orangish peach with some slight shades of brown. The head is a buttery light yellow egg shell film that left some very attractive strands of lace.

Smells like a walk through a pine forest after the rain. There’s also a little mandarin orange here as well. The fresh hops oozing out of this one really have my attention.

The flavor really caught me off guard. I was expecting a big hop punch in the mouth like Alpha King, but instead, I get a sublime doughy oats and honey malt that transitions into a crisp pine bough dryness that rides on top of the malt. There are also some sweet hints of oranges and peaches along the sides of my tongue. The bitterness of the hops in the finish is effortlessly blended into a toasted oat with a touch of fruity sweetness that lingers on a little too long.

The mouth feel is silky smooth and a little heavy with a great micro carbonation that gives this beer an terrific body.

I’m diggin’ this one. The smell is organic and fresh, the taste is subtle and supreme, and the mouth feel is right on. 9.5%? I wouldn’t have believed it had I not seen in on the site. I’m glad I caught that. Now I can try to pace out this bomber!

DarkerTheBetter, May 13, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +0.5%

Light copper color with rose hues. No real head formed at all from the pour, although it appears there is nice bubbly carbonation present. The sweet citrus hop smell is evident long before I even get my nose near the glass. The aroma is truly an intense floral, grapefruit hop experience. The flavor is bright and malty up front with more citrus hop flavor carrying into a rather clean finish. Not that bitter really. The alcohol also is well disguised. Light to medium in body, the carbonation feels subtle, but overall the mouthfeel carries a silky smoothness which is nice. Drinkablilty is great for this brew, even if it is a strong one. It wasn't the amazing experience I had expected, just a slight stronger version of the already good Alpha King in my opinion...

bennetj17, May 08, 2006
4.28/5  rDev -2.9%

Appearance is deep golden and clean and clear, the head has fallen and almost dissapeared, but leaves a good strong lacing.

The smell of cascade hops hits hard and leaves a slight fruity sweetness behind. Fruitiness reminds me of banana. The hops are a bit piney, but not off putting. The smell after a while turned to heavy grapefruit.

Taste is piney cascade hops with a definite grapefruit in the nose. They blend together well.

The mouthfeel is smooth and carbonated well.

I enjoy drinking this and will look forward to more once in a while.

Erdinger2003, May 06, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

An amber/orangish color, with a small head that forms and slowly laces down the glass. The aroma in one word, WOW! There is so much going on in the scent of this beer, citrus (mostly lemon and grapefruit), pine, floral, and earthy aromas. Man that is alot to take in. The taste has a good malt flavor right at the beginning, then the hops take over from there and dominate the flavor to very end. In the mouth it is very nice, it evenly coats the palate and the hops leave a nice dry finish. This beer is more drinkable to hop heads, not what I would call a good starter beer. This beer is truely a wonderful beer.

cameraman, May 04, 2006
4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured a nice translucent, orange color with medium-high carbonation and a white, soapy head that left behind plenty of lacing. The beer appears bright and brisk in my pint glass with a soft mellow texture...very appealing. I detect aromas of grass, pine, and hops. The taste follows the smell with a dry, bitter core that is dominated by hops (as would be expected). Flavors of grapefruit and citrus also come out; crisp and juicy. Good texture, but a bit too slick for in my opinion. Easy to drink despite the high ABV.

jaluria, May 04, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +6.6%

Have had this numerous times on tap, and had to give it a shot on cask. It was less carbonated, little head to be seen, but you could see an oily slickness on top of the beer. The smell was sweeter than regular dreadnaught, but extremely pungent with the piny and fruity, citrusy hops. The mouth was sweet, an almost sugary bread like flavor with a dry finish that is followed by heavy hops, mainly citrus and some pine. Very good on the cask, it's a shame I may never get to drink it like this again.

HoboAGoGo, May 01, 2006
4.95/5  rDev +12.2%

Tried this firkin style at Dark Lord Day. Bright caramel golden hue. Very little head, with slight lacing.

Monster citrus aroma, enormous in the grapefruit, with spectacular hop aromas. Nice malty backbone, with lemon, orange, honey, and some mellon notes.

Absolutely fabulous. Had this draught last night at the 3 Floyds brew pub and the firkin is superior. Gian grapefruit flavors, velvety on the tongue. Nice floral hop tastes, good malt, citrus, delicious.

Drinkable all night and day just not enough to go around. If one of you local brew pubs get's this cask drive an hour or two to try it. Awesome!

mcallister, Apr 29, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +3.9%

22 ounce bottle. Dreadnaught pours out a clear orange color topped with a large head. Nice lacing. Bubbles appear to rise quite slowly. The aroma is a barrage of hops. There are notes of peaches, pine, and citrus. Very fresh smelling. The flavor is a big, oily hop flavor that lasts long after you finish sipping. Lots of fruitiness, especially peaches, oranges, and lemons. Although this beer is very bitter, a sticky sweetness comes through at the finish. Alcohol is deceiving. I wouldn't have guessed it to be as high as it is. This is a fine ipa, well worth the praise given it.

beveragecaptain, Apr 27, 2006
4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

Clear amber body with big frothy off-white head. Masive citrusy, piney hop nose, lots of sweetness as well, caramel, biscuit, candi sugar. Initial flood of citrus, orange, grapefruit, mango, apricots is followed by lots of sticky sweetness, caramel, sugar, toffee. Incredibly juicy. Finish is medium length with a touch of bitterness and lingering sweetness. Mouthfeel is soft and smooth. Very nice beer, quite a unique taste. Would like to see this in a 12oz. bottle as the sweetness gets a big overwelming after 22oz.

artusory, Apr 18, 2006
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 22oz. bomber into a snifter glass.
No freshnees or batch date.

Pours a nice bright, glowing orange color. Slightly hazy. Half inch off white head, fades quickly, leaving some pretty good sticky lacing.There is a slick, oily feel to this beer. My favorite part of this beer is the smell. Very aromatic, lots of citrusy, piney hops, maybe some tropical fruits. Fantastic taste, nothing but hops up front, but there is a good sweet malty backbone to balance the taste. The piney, citrusy flavor is awesome and refreshing. Decent carbonation, and full bodied. Syrupy texture. I could drink this beer all day. My favorite double IPA by far. I really wish they would distribute Three Floyds to Michigan!!

BigDaddyWil, Apr 18, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bomber. Pours with a big head. Great carbonation. Crystalline amber offset with chunky blobs. Better to let it settle.

Piney hops overlays some other fruity aromas. The Three Floyds website says that it's mango and peach. I don't notice those particularly, but whatever it is, it provides a nice interlude in the hop explosion.

Flavor starts with a smooth malty base, but not cloying and just enough to attempt a balancing of the hop waves. Some citrus flavor and a little bit of bubblegum also noticeable, but the dominant feature is pine. Usually I hate piney-hop flavor, but the brewers have managed to make their voodoo work this time for me. Likely other non-piney hops in there mitigate the effect.

Rounded, balanced and smooth mouthfeel. Partly due to solid carbonation, partly due to crisp hop bitterness, the finish scrubs the palate and preps you for another sip. Alcohol barely noticeable.

Price was a little high, but that might have been the store. Factoring the alcohol content and the amount of ingredients that probably went into this, the price may not be that out of whack. Solidly drinkable and certainly something hopheads will love.

longarm, Apr 16, 2006
4.22/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured a cloudy orange with a little head that faded to a light filmon top. Smelled very citrusy and tasted of sweet lemon and ornage zest. Mouthfeel was a little thick but acceptibly so, considering the ABV. Overall, the beer is very drinkable but a person better be careful with this one since the alcohol seems fairly well hidden.

"Cerevisia Supra Omnia"

nflmvp, Apr 15, 2006

Pours a bright hazy amber with a thin but persistent head that disappears just a little too easily. In a Duvel tulip, it looks like a slightly darker Duvel. Aroma is massive and floral, bright sweet oranges and piney hops. I'd wash dishes with it.

Taste is a light, toasty malt with some serious hoppage. More bright hops, fruity sweet, biscuity, candy sweet, mandarin oranges or tangelos. Some earthiness, bits of a fruit garden, honeysuckle flowers, something soil-y and loamy about the flavors. No trace of alcohol, any tastes have been run out of town by the hops. Finish is bitter and lingers, mmmm, it lingers.

Mouthfeel is medium, very smooth, slick and oily. You don't so much drink it as slide it down your throat. Finished a bomber much too quickly. I've suffered through a lot of over-the-top hop bombs, but this is the best use of hops I've ever encountered. I originally went just a hair short of a perfect score, and debated it internally for days. But I have to relent and upgrade this to my third all-5s beer. It's just flawless.

assurbanipaul, Apr 14, 2006
4.78/5  rDev +8.4%

I have been trying to get a Dreadnaught for sometime and was able to get a hold of one at a Mirco - Six pack shop. My expectations were very high and I was worried I'd be dissapointed. It poured a nice copper color with a orange tint and a nice white head. The aroma is awesome and powerful. Hops, Hops, Hops. I waited all day for this taste and it was more than I expected. Super hop flavor just exploding in your mouth with a surprisingly smooth finish. Not real bitter, just right. I being a hop head could drink this all night and everyday, but it is a special beer and needs to be reserved for special occasions. The best beer I ever had!

brewnut11, Apr 13, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +6.6%

Thanks to highclassdrinker for this one. I think I came out on the good end of this trade.

This poured out a lovely glowing amber, with a half finger head made of large bubbles that subsided rather quickly. Over a short period of time the head disappeared completely... that's the only thing I found detracting about the appearance.

Aroma was rich pine and citrus hops, lots of hop resins, pineapple, and some firm medium malts underneath. Complex.

Taste... wow, how do I describe it? A hop bomb in my mouth! MAJOR bitterness, huge pine and citrus flavors, some pineapple, a firm malt backbone, and some long lingering bitterness on the back of the tongue after the swallow. Tremendous.

Mouthfeel was slick and a little oily, quite chewy, a little astringent. Really good.

Drinkability is excellent. I could have another... not easily, but I'd be willing to try.

connecticutpoet, Apr 12, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours a nice, deep orange with a small head that goes away fairly quickly. Leaves thin rings of lacing. Aroma is fresh floral, grassy hops. Taste....yummm....delicious. Grassy, citrus hops shine through every sip. A little piney as well with just a tad of sweetness before the slight alcohol sting kicks in. Full bodied and a bit slick from the hop oils. Excellent brew. I could drink this one...and another...and another....

Imstillthegman, Apr 11, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +2.7%

I have to start by thanking David from The Publick House for hooking us up with this beer. Thanks dave. :-) (from Paige and Tanya as well)

This beer poured a peach colored amber/orange body with a small white head.

Nose was in your face. Waves of fruit, big citrus peel and intense resiny hops. Slightly floral and overall just very inviting.

Medium to full bodied. An oily hop resin swims in ever wave of this beer. Very fruity hops; oranges, peaches, apricots, lemons, limes, mangos. Dare I say, a fruit cocktail of fruit flavors. Very bitter from start to finish, never so overpowering as to be annoying, but this ain't short on hop bitterness. As for malt, it's a bit bready, almost in a wonder bread type softness. A slight touch of caramel sugary sweetness as well. Alcohol is present but really only adds a touch of warmth. Ends with a long lingering bitterness.

Right up there with Great Divides Hercules DIPA as one of the best hop monsters out there. Not sure which I like better, but... just an amazing beer.

taez555, Apr 09, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +7%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass.

Looks a non-transparent orange with little head and some sticky lacing. Smell is great. I could smell the piney hops with the glass still sitting two feet away from me. After getting a little closer to my nose, I picked up some sweet fruity malts and those blended perfectly with the abundance of hops. Taste is excellent. I'm usually not a piney hop fan, but Three Floyds pulls this off with perfection. The malts are also kicked into overdrive, and like the smell, blend perfecty for a great taste. Mouthfeel is nice, but I feel it would have been helped with a little more carbonation. Other than that this is a full, chewy beer that I'd kill to be able to purchase locally in Northern California. We here on the West Coast like to claim that we are kings of the hopped brews, but Dreadnaught reminds us that there are breweries in the Mid West that can easily make the same claim. Wonderful job guys. It has been a pleasure to drink this ale.

SethB2, Apr 09, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +9.5%

22 oz bomber.

Clear amber in color with a thin off-white head. Strong, lovely aroma of grapefruit, lemon, and sticky, piney, layer upon layer of hops.

Wow. I mean, wow. Bright, piney hops, super, super hops, citrusy, sticky, and wonderful. This is freakin' awesome - that's all you need to say.

RockyTopHeel, Apr 08, 2006
4.88/5  rDev +10.7%

It’s all been said about this one hasn’t it? I’ve been pondering what I could add for several days but I’m drawing a blank accept to say that his beer lives up to the hype. I am no hop head, but Dreadnaught works on a level beyond its insane IBU. It is crafted so cleverly as to be one of the most balanced and drinkable beers I have put to my lips. For a beer with these ABV and IBU ratings to be so stable and equalized in every way is astonishing to me.

I once saw a John Clease documentary called “Face,” which contended that humans define beauty in one another based first and foremost on symmetry. If that is the case then Dreadnaught is the Elizabeth Hurley of beers. It is perfectly symmetrical in every way. Each quality is proportional to the next.

In the aroma, notes of bristlecone pine, juniper, mountain flowers, sage, and nearly every citrus fruit imaginable all come together defining the Double IPA aroma. Taste is shocking, for the full force of each individual aroma assaults the tongue with the power of a platoon of trebuchets. The citrus, sweet at times, is controlled by bitter hops, and vice versa as they both steer the overall direction of the beer toward shear bliss.

As I was drinking the Dreadnaught the other night I began to humming a tune. Until my girlfriend said something, I didn’t even recognize what I was humming. It was an old Fred Astaire song, “Heaven, I’m in Heaven…” That’s what the Dreadnaught did for me.

DaPeculierDane, Apr 07, 2006
4.25/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bomber. Poured cold into pint glass. Small, good retaining head.

Smell is very floral, fruity.

Taste immediately hits you with the hops. Almost a perfume of bitterness and alcohol. Malt presence is their, just not very detectable.

Mouthfeel is thick , good carbonation.

Drinkability is alright for something this aggressive.

shroompod, Apr 02, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance: Pours a clear medium amber color with a bubbly light beige head; retention is not great and there isn't that much lacing

Smell: Tremendous Cascade presence with a very piney resinous aroma that has citrus and mango touches as well

Taste: Starts with a sweet and piney flavor; after the swallow, some serious bitterness kicks in, with subtle hints of mango, apricot and citrus fruit; the finish has some residual sweetness to it but the bitterness wins at long last

Mouthfeel: Thick and syrupy; with plenty of carbonation; warming alcohol wafts up after the swallow

Drinkability: Powerful and challenging, this is one fine Imperial IPA

Thanks, alaskaiscold

brentk56, Apr 01, 2006
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle Pours a hazy golden with a creamy off white head. Head fades but produces some quality lacing. Has a great hoppy aroma of citrus and spruce. A nice medium body with good carbination. Has a slick texture. A big duration with a great finish.This is a solid beer. Very hoppy and robust. Really sits on the tastebuds for some time. Has a strong bitterness that starts slow and revs up to a wonderful ending. This is real good stuff, I wouldn’t recommend a 12 oz bottle, you’ll just want more.

Birdiebeagle, Mar 31, 2006
4.28/5  rDev -2.9%

Bright and cloudy reddish orange with a large tiny-bubbled head which ultimately falls to a thin table and solid ring. Smell is citrus with smoked almonds backing it all up. The taste is a creamy hit of hops and oils. There is an alcohol burn that starts midway and peaks in the finish. This has a great mouthfeel, quite full for such a hop monster. I can finish a bottle, but anything more might be overkill.

pentathlete, Mar 31, 2006