Alpha Kong - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Alpha KongAlpha Kong

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  15.00% ABV

(Beer added by: orbitalr0x on 03-13-2005)
Reviews by davod23:
davod23

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from the bottle into a Bruery tulip. This is my first time having this for almost two years, so I'm interested in seeing how it is drinking these days. I remember that it blew me away when I first had it.

The pour is a burned orange color, like the sun slipping under the horizon on a clear day in Santa Monica. Golden highlights are evident, but the deep orange is predominant. Enchanting, really. An off-yellow head forms and fights vainly for survival, but with a beer of this strength it doesn't have much of a chance. I admire its tenacity though. Clarity is great - this is a beautiful beer.

Smell is very nice. Sweet aromas of banana, bubble gum, and a hint of clove strike me first. As the beer warms, more candy aromas come out, predominantly butterscotch.

While bananas hit me first in the aroma, the taste is all candy up front. Butterscotch, English toffee, caramel, with dried fruit and banana dancing in the background. Booze. What kind of candy is Werther's Originals? It has a lot of that kind of flavor. Clearly this beer is quite sweet, but I don't find it terribly off-putting. The sweetness is not overbearing and the flavors are well-integrated. Long, warming finish.

Mouthfeel is pretty damn good. Sticky, thick, but with enough carbonation that it does not feel heavy or weigh me down.

Drinkability is a tough one. Considering the strength and sweetness of this brew, it's dangerously drinkable. That said, it's not a beer that I can really drink a lot of, certainly no more than a single bomber on my own. But... man... 15%? This is just a beast, and I will review it with that in mind.

Really great beer, very unusual (a Belgian sextuple?) and tasty. I don't know why they stopped brewing this one. Perhaps they will revisit it again in the future. I have two more bottles sitting there waiting for me which I look forward to drinking. This beer is a few years old at this point but I think that it will be fine for years to come.

Highly recommended.

08-23-2010 01:32:48 | More by davod23
tectactoe

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

06-16-2014 12:20:45 | More by tectactoe
orbitalr0x

4.28/5  rDev +4.4%

Alpha Kong Belgian Style Strong Ale, labeled as a Sextupel, sampled on-tap at Three Floyds on 3-12-05. Comes off the tap with a big viscous pour that leaves a nice big dark amber body with a khaki head on top. Aromas of some sweet candi sugar, nice yeasty profile and hints of banana and light fruits.

First sip brings a big blast of maltiness along with banana flavors and hints of fruit. Belgian yeast with a big full flavor that coats the palate. A hint spicy and well balanced overall. The 15% is incredibly well hidden in the flavor. Quite an interesting departure from the big hoppy brews for Three Floyds.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy...big and bold. This was served as a half pint...and rightfully so...the alcohol is deceptive and one could easily go over the edge drinking this. Three Floyds doesn't fail to impress...check this out if you happen to stop by the brewery.

03-13-2005 00:59:32 | More by orbitalr0x
merlin48

Kentucky

3.05/5  rDev -25.6%

Bomber pours a radiant pumpkin orange body that almost looks like iodine. Small almond head quickly falls to a cap with a few flecks of lace. Aroma is bubble gum, creamed bananas, and airplane glue. Very phenolic. Medium body, restrained carbonation, and an intense alcohol burn. Whoa! This is hot. Taste is a bit fusel. Candy sugar, green pears, faint bananas, and dominant alcohol. This is remarkable for being the first Three Floyds brew I don't like. This one is an alcohol bomb.

10-15-2007 14:03:57 | More by merlin48
ohmybock

Georgia

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

I just picked this one up in Chicago at $16.99 for a 22oz bomber...ouch! A little voice inside my head kept saying, "don't waste your money", but I went ahead and bought one anyway. (I love hoppy beers, but I haven't been too excited about the other hoppy, and/or high-gravity, and/or expensive 3F beers I've purchased.) Additionally, I had previously read some reviews about this one which made me think I might not like it.

Well...It turns out I like this one a lot!

The first thing I noticed was that there was very little "phhhitt" when I popped the cap. Carbonation is low with this bad boy. That’s too bad because more carbonation would certainly help cut the thickness of this brew and improve it. Next, I noticed the aroma which heavily consists of spices (think clove) and bananas. The aroma (and the taste) remind me somewhat of a potent German wheat beer. However, AK is much thicker and sweeter than any German wheat beer I’ve had. Could this be a quadruple weizenbock? If you like the flavors found in weizenbiers or weizenbocks, try this one. There’s a nice, clear, amber color to the beer, but there’s no head (which corresponds with the low carbonation). There’s a bit of hot alcohol character mixed in with the flavor along with an alcohol bite in the finish, but for a beer of this strength, it’s surprisingly drinkable...at least in small sips. The malt and spiciness dominate in this brew with hops taking an almost indistinguishable backseat. I read some other reviews that claimed this beer is sweet and syrupy. That’s somewhat true, but it’s not as over-the-top sweet as a fresh Samichlaus, Thomas Hardy, or JW Lees Harvest (none of which I like when they’re fresh), and it’s nothing like the sickly-sweet Beast Grand Cru and Samael from Avery which went down my drain. However, AK does remind me a bit of Avery’s Reverend, but with a more evident alcohol character and burn. Even though AK is on the "sweet side", I still find it totally drinkable as it stands today. Still, if there was more carbonation, this beer would be even better.

Well, it’s nice to see something quite different being produced by 3F and also something that I (surprisingly) enjoyed a lot. I still think the price doesn’t fit the contents of the bottle, but unlike most other high-priced 3F beers I’ve had, I might actually revisit this one in the future. Until then, I’ll be content drinking The Reverend at 1/3 the price of AK.

12-15-2007 22:42:49 | More by ohmybock
jeonseh

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Had this on tap at 3F brewpub on 1/10/08.

A- a deep golden amber/orange color that represents maybe what I would call a bronze. The color itself was rather attractive but there was really no head on it at all. I am beginning to think that the lack of head is a feature of on tap beers at 3F. It seems that they try to max the amount of beer in the glass so they give you no head. I think they should just buy bigger glasses n give us some more foam.

S - Super fragrant. The smell is a ton of large notes of mango/banana and clove. Very sweet smelling and hard to not notice the sweetness of this brew. Love how the smell just comes off of it so that there is not a huge struggle to tell if there is anything there at all.

T- A sextuple and with that comes some super sweetness that at first hits the tongue. Tastes a lot like a candied banana dipped in caramel and mango sauce. It actually also kinda had the taste of your normal pink bubble gum too. After this shocking sweetness, the beer becomes a bit spicy and almost think that I taste some pepper in it. Also, can definitely taste the warm alcohol in this one which is expected given the high ABV. However, don't find this overpowering at all but instead think that it actually adds something to the beer that is a bit necessary to offset the sweetness. A very big beer and pretty good overall the only downside would be that it is kinda sweet.

MF - very sticky in the mouth at first with a low amount of carbonation that comes in later as the flavors and warming character of the alcohol hits the mouth. I think that the mouthfeel matches the character of the flavor and I really like when a beer does that. Also, the higher alcohol flavors leaves the mouth with a warming, numbing character to the mouth.

D - A very good beer on the whole but I definitely could not drink more than one beer. The high alcohol of this one and the super sweetness makes it such that I could never really have more than one of these guys. This is definitely a beer that pushes the limits but it does so in a way that makes it good and not overbearing. Another quality beer from 3F.

01-10-2008 20:35:54 | More by jeonseh
rhoadsrage

3.43/5  rDev -16.3%

1year old 2007 brew
(Served in a tulip glass)
A- This beer has a crystal clear golden-reddish body with a slow carbonation of tiny bubbles and butter cream colored head that last for a bit.

S- Smell is circus peanuts, ether,dried apricots with faint notes of pears and caramel apples as it warms finish has a hint of cheese.

T- taste of soft fruit hints with a bigger sweetness that increase as the beer warms. There is a big boozy flavor that has a hint of red wine that lead to a bigger alcohol bite in the finish.

M- This beer has a light crisp fizz to the medium mouthfeel and a big alcohol burn.

D- The aroma has improved a bit but this beer is still a hot alcohol bomb with a big sweetness. There was no sediment in the bottom so I don't think this beer has any hope of aging out any of the heat.
---
(Served in a tulip glass)

A- This beer has a reddish-brown body with a big carbonation of big bubbles in a crystal clear body. There is a thin off-white film that soon fades to a few bubbles around the rim.

S- The big smell of banana is followed by a big fusel smell of fingernail polish remover. There is a soft note of circus peanuts and a laffy-taffy quality to the bananas.

T- The big taste of bananas has a bit of clove spice and caramel malt to follow. There is a big fusel alcohol flavor that covers all other flavors. There is a soft caramel note and white sugar hint along with the circus peanuts hint.

M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with a big fusel alcohol heat that burns down the throat after each sip. There is a thin texture to the mouthfell also.

D- This beer has a big, huge hot fusel quality to every aspect of this beer. I like a big boozy beer but this is to much. The flavors buried underneath are quite nice and I will give this beer another shot in a year and two.

10-23-2007 02:20:57 | More by rhoadsrage
acurtis

01-09-2012 00:00:57 | More by acurtis
GratefulBeerGuy

New Hampshire

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

22 oz. bottle > Chimay goblet

This is a vibrant, deep clover honey color with red and oranges hues. Mesmerizing tiny bubbles stream to the top in perfect single-file lines to create an 1" tan colored crown that falls very fast and pretty much evaporates.

amazingly sweet nose, candied fruit's in the malt, sugar coated dates with spicey wheat. Very pleasant. Assorted berries, clover honey, ripe red grapes and....yep, gummy worms. Big, boozy, vodka-like heat.

This is a serious attack on the palate. Massive full bodied malt slickness with a sugar daddy-sweetness and the biggest candied fruit flavor ever in a beer; it's like driniking a bag sugar coated dates and rainsins. The yeast is herbal and earthy with a slight hint of hops. Clover, honey and a tart bitterness...then comes the deep, warming heat that you can feel all the way down. A smokey wood finish and a lingering mostly bitter earthiness gets mellowed out as the temprature goes up. It get's even boozier as it mellows but it's full, thick body feel makes it work.

This thing is a real experience, I actually finished the 22 oz's myself and I was pretty buzzed half way through! Watch out, it's a hefty, intense buzz after the bottles gone. "Sex Tupple" indeed!

07-24-2008 21:55:16 | More by GratefulBeerGuy
dirtylou

Washington

3.78/5  rDev -7.8%

22oz bottle, obtained from the brewery about 16 months ago, shared with a few during the nfl playoffs

appearance: poured into a pint glass, clear amber body with virtually no head...darker than you would expect from the style with a lot less lace - this beer certainly streches past the boundaries of the style

smell: strong alcohol, buttery biscuit, candied sugars, honey, sweet caramel, cinnamon and spice, brown sugar, yeast

taste: candied sugar, brown sugar, heavy dosage of booze, buttery. Sweet and fruity - apple, passion fruit, banana and peach. thick malt core with a fiery alcohol presence. this bomber would be near impossible to consume in its entirety without some assistance - interesting but off-style and a bit over the top

mouthfeel: smooth but fiery

drinkability: rough stuff

01-04-2009 19:30:11 | More by dirtylou
prototypic

3.8/5  rDev -7.3%

Bottle courtesy of lightindarkness. Thanks dood.

Appearance: It pours a very hazy, golden brown to copper color. Head is honey colored and stands about a finger tall. It fell victim to the high abv hit job really quickly. Little to no lacing remaining.

Smell: The nose is simply above average in just about every respect. It's not very strong and is pretty limited in its range. There's a very sweet pineapple and banana aroma that lingers throughout. Malts are notable. There's a distinct sugary smell to it. Spices are present, but a little subdued. Alcohol is noted, but not that strong. There's a little cinammon and perhaps some nutmeg. That wraps it up and it was work to get there.

Taste: The flavor profile is actually good. Better than I expected from the nose. It's very sweet and sugary. Malts are sweet and give it a nice base. Citrus pineapple and a distinct banana flavor blend pretty well. Cinammon and light nutmeg spices give it some character. Alcohol is definitely noticeable in taste and warms on the way down. I was expecting it to some degree, but it's not as pervasive as I imagined.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's medium bodied, lightly carbonation, and actually has a very smooth, creamy feel. A little more carbonation would be good, but it's very smooth as it is. Drinkability would be good, but at 15% abv, it's too strong. I was actually a little reluctant to crack it open on a weeknight.

Alpha Kong's a pretty good beer that could definitely be improved with some work on the nose and a little more carbonation. The abv could probably be toned down a decent bit. The high level doesn't really add anything. But, it's not normal...and not intended to be.

07-15-2008 01:12:27 | More by prototypic
Gonzoillini

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

12-30-2012 02:54:31 | More by Gonzoillini
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

Got this from joe1510, cheers Joe!

Pours an orange-hued caramel with a pinky of sand colored head. Makes some great noises, Fred Eckhardt (sic) would be pleased! A bit of lacing & zero head retention

S: Bubble gum, dark candi sugar, apricots. Bubble gum faded after the initial rush,

T: Figs, apricot, bananas, dryness & booze up front. Booze warmth tones down as this warms, more candi sugar, a bit of caramel, some green apple & some red wine qualities, some cinnamon, & some dryness. Finishes with tangerine, bananas, sweetness, a touch of Amaretto, dryness, oakyness, & some caramel. Works for me!

MF: Medium bodied with stickyness & syruppy notes, skews fruitty

Drinks very easy for the ABV & style, another winner from FFF! Love the complexity

06-19-2008 06:42:53 | More by russpowell
SammyDavisJrJrJr

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

I can't say I've ever tried a Belgium style offering from this brewery, and although I love pretty much everything they do, this could be very different and interesting... Into the Atomium goblet...

A - Amber body with a tab bit of head poking through . No retention.

S - Tart cherry seems to dominate the aroma, with lots of alcohol and a healthy malt back bone. Notes of coriander, vanilla, and strawberry also present. Good, powerful and complex without anything really feeling off or muddled.

T - Tart cherry and alcohol again noted at the entry. This smoothly melts into sweet malty strawberry flavored goodness. Prickly alcohol at the swallow, which lingers in the finish, along with some hop balance, spice, and strawberry notes. Definitely some interesting things going on here.

M - Ridiculously silky-smooth mouthfeel, and very thick body makes me a happy boy...

D - Damn, this is real good, wish I had another bottle to age... well, next year I'll know better. I definitely noticed the alcohol, but in a good way.

11-26-2007 05:48:40 | More by SammyDavisJrJrJr
bashiba

Iowa

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured a deep shade of reddish copper with a light tan head, lots of bubbles running through it the entire time.

Smell is candy sweet and fruity with a strong bit of banana and toffee.

Flavors are intense with a big sweet candy flavor, some nice spices with pepper and cloves being noticeable, a small amount of alcohol flavor breaking through along with hints of apples, bananas and pears. Just a bit of tartness and bitterness of the hops and yeast trying to even out the sweetness, but the sugar overpowers it.

Mouthfeel is warm, thick, and oily.

Pretty drinkable giving its high ABV, its like and Imperial Tripel, still a pretty good beer even though its a bit over the top. Kind of reminds me of a good port in its complexity and sweetness, would make a great dessert beer.

10-23-2007 00:52:25 | More by bashiba
shbobdb

2.85/5  rDev -30.5%

This beer is certainly a technical accomplishment, but like a lot of technically difficult beers (such as: Bud/Miller/Coors Light, Triple Bock, 120 Minute Ale, ect.) it isn't terribly interesting to drink.

The beer pours a deep red-gold, with almost no head. What little head there is, manages to form a nice right around my chalice, but I can't say I'm terribly impressed.

The beer's smell is awkward. It is as though it can't decide whether it wants to be a Tripel or a weizen, so it splits the difference. Lots of clove, candy-corn, banana, and a hefty dose of booze.

The beer's taste maintains the awkward medley found in the nose, but a deep honey is added to it. That's it. Just honey. A blast of alcohol prevents the beer from beng cloyingly thick, but it is still quite sweet.

The mouthfeel is neither thin nor thick. That strange Belgian neither-nor. I don't much care for it myself, but I can't penalize it for being vaguely in-style. But it is "in-style" in the way a lot of American Belgians are, that is to say, a vaguely offensive mockery of the real thing.

Drinkability. Well, overall this beer tastes like a lot of sub-par American tripels. You know, they have a strong yeast presence, are overly sweet, and don't really come together. It isn't a terrible beer, but at around $20 a pop, I really wouldn't recommend it except for the most die-hard Tripel fan.

I mean, I get it. We have massively malty beers like British Barleywines. Those have been pushed to the extreme, right? We also have massively hoppy beers. Those have also been pushed to extremes, right? We also have yeasty beers that have been pushed to extremes, Tripels and Quads are those beers. But FFF decided that they were less of an "extreme" form of brewing and more the norm, so they would supersize them. Why? It is like an Octoplebock. Why?

01-25-2008 01:04:43 | More by shbobdb
scootny

3.79/5  rDev -7.6%

Pulled this one out of the beer cellar as I reflect on the past year and need a little strong ale to loosen up. It's a lovely color. a ruddy amber, mostly clear but a bit of sediment in suspension. Light tan head and a hint of lacing. Nose carries lots of alcohol, toffee, fruitcake, and faint banana. A bit of the Belgian yeast esters. . LOTS of booze. Taste is sweet and alcoholic. Given the insane ABV however quite smooth. A fair amount of light pilsner malt and fruitiness from the yeast with an overall sweet candied fruit profile to the taste. Notes of sherry and a brandy like finish that show a surprising amount of hops and dry leafy bitterness. Full feel is lovely with a touch of light syrup and slickness. Mild carbonation. While boozy it still goes down easily and really lights up the palate with all kinds of foods like white bean hummus and various cheeses and smokey and roasted meats and veg. Quite a nice beer though I am a little surprised by the amount of heat after all this time. Maybe the hops hid it more when fresher. Nonetheless a lovely brew.

01-09-2014 06:31:28 | More by scootny
Beertracker

Oklahoma

4.18/5  rDev +2%

Listen! What's the hell is that? OMG it's Alpha Kong here to destroy!!! AK pours up with a light carbonation that creates a tannish-white head that dissipates slowly under a barrage of alcohol, but manages to cover the deep copper-orangish amber body. The sweet candied caramel character almost completely dominates the aroma with hints of allspice, dried herbs and orange blossom honey underlying a noticeable alcoholic warmth. The flavor starts off quite fruity with an expressive caramel maltiness that shows hints of brown sugar, hot caramel apple, buttered rum & toffee/treacle. There's a slight astringent nuttiness (Brazil nut) in the finish that's marked by a slight bitterness which helps to bring balance to this chewy full-bodied barley monster. This self-described "sextuppel" is sure to please a seasoned beer connoisseur, but definitely NOT a beer for the uninitiated. I recommend sharing this Belgian-style Strong Armed Blue Beast with your friends, because handling him wholly could cause temporary blindness. Long live the Alpha Kong from Munster!

CHEERS! Beertracker

04-19-2010 18:54:29 | More by Beertracker
GRG1313

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

06-08-2014 03:48:04 | More by GRG1313
alleykatking

4.43/5  rDev +8%

This beer has to be one of my favorite offerings from FFF

A-Poured into a pint glass. Deep amber color pours out a little thick to my eye. The ABV on this I think keeps there from pouring a head no matter how hard I try. The lacing on this too is almost non existent.

S- While I was pouring this all I could smell was bananna. I let it sit for a couple of minutes to give it some time to calm down and when I came back although I still smelled the bananna I also picked up some hints of malt and cloves. Also, a little sugary smell (sweet) and of course an alcohol smell.

T- First off let me say that once this beer warms up you can taste more of the alcohol to it and less of everything else. On that note..it had a sugary bananna bread taste to it. While it was still cooler the alcohol didn't really come through like it did once it warmed up. This is an amazing beer.

M- Big, thick, heavy mouthfeel I thought. It packs a little kick with it but is still not over the top as with some beers.

D- I know I hear most people they couldn't drink a full bomber but I have almost always drank this one by myself the many times I have had it. I have had two before in a row and wouldn't suggest that but hey when you like a beer you like a beer right??

04-19-2009 20:55:58 | More by alleykatking
akorsak

3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

A 650 mL bomber courtesy of Autumnaldave. Long may he reign!

A: The ale is a ruddy brown color, hazy with a port cclor. Little head arose on pour and it now little more than a white band at the edges of the glass. The beer is much darker than paler.

S: The aroma is loaded with candi sugars and spices, including cinnamin and nutmeg. I was expecting an absolute malt bomb (it is labelled as a sextupel ale), so the restraint and spice profile are quite welcome.

T: The ale reminds me of a biere de Noel, strong on both candi sugars and spices. The first sip reveals a yeasty dryness that I'd normally mistake for St. Bernardus 12 or Rochefort 10. The delicious depth of raisins, candi sugars and plums is intoxicatingly good, both flavorwise and strengthwise. The trademark amarillo hops of FFF are gone, which is fairly surprising when even the Irish stout is a hop bomb. Their absence is not missed and the depth is quite impressive without them. This is a true grand cru offering.

M: Spicy with a great Belgian yeast finish. This beer would taste awesome on a cold wintery, snowy day.

D: Hot damn, 15%? You'd never know it while sipping it but this one is gonna hurt in the morning. One bottle, shared with another would be perfect.

07-04-2008 02:33:08 | More by akorsak
Magery

Kentucky

11-16-2011 02:11:21 | More by Magery
naproxen

District of Columbia

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

Obtained in an awesome trade with Blanchette (many many thanks)

I think I could have let this sit another few months as it is a bit hot on the alcohol, but i've been waiting awhile to try this...

A- poured a very hazy dark amber into the glass, not an impressive head retained at all

S- besides alcohol (no surprise there) the upfront nose is a sugary banana and something else candy-like, bubblegum maybe?

T- following in suite with the aroma, this is one sweet yet boozy beer. There are traces of banana, raisin, and pear that I could pick out but the alcohol does cut it down a little.

M- i was not surprised at the heavier feel of this beer given its hazy appearance and high abv. It kinda leaves a residue in the mouth that is sweet burn.

D- oh, oh it's tasty and was well worth trading for. The high abv however packs a punch, this bottle is worth sharing (or not, i definitely didnt)

03-21-2008 00:47:08 | More by naproxen
emerge077

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

03-02-2014 00:40:37 | More by emerge077
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.53/5  rDev -38.3%

Bottle courtesy of iconoklaztor: Poured a deep copper color ale with a small foamy head with minimal retention and no lacing. Aroma of sweet malt is totally dominating. Taste is also dominated by sweet malt with some candi sugar notes. I couldn't detect any fruity ester or dry fruits elements or even some toffee notes. The whole taste spectrum is dominated by sweet malt. Medium body with low carbonation and no apparent alcohol. I thought this was really one-dimensional and would have expected some complexity- I don't get why this is arte so high.

03-06-2008 19:18:38 | More by Phyl21ca