Alpha Kong - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Alpha KongAlpha Kong

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  13.00% ABV

A very complex Belgian sextuple, sweet with caramel notes.

(Beer added by: orbitalr0x on 03-13-2005)

enelson, Nov 16, 2011

bespin15, Dec 05, 2011

Pellinore1, Dec 03, 2011

MarkIntihar, May 30, 2012

stakem, Nov 15, 2011

denimdemon, Nov 15, 2011

spycow, Dec 13, 2011

EseLocoSS, Nov 07, 2013

This is one of my top Three Floyds beers. I have enjoyed in on tap in the past, and finally had to make the trip to Chicago Binny's to buy the last up. Cracked open a 22 oz. and poured it into a snifter. Sweet smell of candy and banana on the nose. No head. Reminds me of a liquore in many ways. Very delicious. The initial taste is sweet and syrupy, and then it goes into yeasty,clove-like flavor followed by a sweet banana finish. Alcohol presence is not hidden at all. Very warming to drink. The banana flavor is out of this world. One of the greatest beers ever made, and definitely an after dinner drink. One bomber will get you buzzed.

rivertrance420, Sep 23, 2008

WOLFGANG, Jun 30, 2013

Irishmafia, Mar 24, 2013
4.88/5  rDev +19%

Shared this bad boy with two other BA's. Poured from bomber into snifters.

A: Golden orange with no head. Slight lace clings to side of the glass. This beer has a beautiful Tawny Port appearance.

S: Apricot/ Carmel/ Toffee/ Burnt Sugar/ Boozy

Taste: The apricot and toffee really come out on the palate with a nice warming alcohol feel on the finish.

MF: Port like. Silky and full body, coats the mouth very nicely.

Drink: For 15% abv this goes down easily. Each sip of this brew begs for another.

Overall:
A fabulous beer and a rare treat to savor with friends. As this beer warms the complexity grows. I could not keep my nose of the glass. For those lucky enough to have a bottle of this, it will continue to age beautifully. Cheers!

TriGuy20, Jan 02, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +16.6%

On-tap @ Three Floyds Brewpub...

Listed on the beer menu as a Sextuppel. Artwork on the tapper is very cool (as always from Three Floyds)

Shiny reddish/orange color. Aroma is mostly spices, yeast, sweet malts, and mild fruits. I really did not get my hopes up for this one, as I didn't think an American brewery focusing on hops and extreme American styles could pull this off with much success.. I couldn't be more glad I was wrong. The taste has the Belgian flair that you can easily pin down, but with a great fresh spice taste and a big-time sweetness that I swear has a life of it's own. Rumor has it this beer's huge sweetness comes from rare imported sugar from East Indonesia..at least that's what they told us at the brewpub...but whatever it is, I've never tasted it in a belgian. The alcohol is very well hidden, but can be sensed by the nearly instant intoxication after a few sips. Mouthfeel is full and carbonation is quite low. This baby slides down as easy as a 4% pilsner..absolutely no agressive/harsh tastes..just sweet, spicy, perfection.

Truth be told, American brewers can (and have) beat many Belgians at their own game..this is one clear example. Don't get me wrong..i love a good true Belgian (from there) just as much as the next guy, but I simply cannot think of a beer at 15.5% that can top this killer.

I'll take Alpha Kong over King Kong any day..a couple big glasses of this, and Kong would be passed out in the corner.
Damn, I love when breweries have the balls to come out with insane beers like this, because when they pay off, they're simply incredible...and this one is.

hero27, Dec 09, 2005
4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

sketcher6773, Oct 19, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

Bakker, Jan 19, 2013
4.68/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Coppery and clear with a very small white head with barely any retention.

S- Lots of bubble gum, cotton candy, banana, and vanilla. The alcohol is barely noticeable. Smells amazing.

T- Same as the aroma. The alcohol is noticeable but is not hot and blends really well with everything.

M- The stickiness and creaminess of this is great. The alcohol does not thin this up or cause it to be harsh.

D- For the ABV, this is killer. I was expecting a boozy mess, but this is excellent. A little pricey though...

david131, May 17, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +14.1%

22 oz. Bomber, thanks alleykatking!

Looks like an unfiltered apple cider, a dark golden color and very hazy. Smells like bananas, a little yeasty but mostly bananas and some alcohol. Tastes sweet, alcohol, and bananas. Honestly, I taste Now-N-Later banana candies, very delicious! Mouthfeel is good, the carbonation is still holding up for being aged a year or two, feels good! If you can't tell, I really like this beer and it is unbelieveably drinkable for a beer of this ABV (15abv I think?). Great beer, please brew this again!

Lukafer, Apr 16, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +14.1%

A- Poured Dark copper with a good half inch of head that left a nice lacing on the glass.

S- Sweet and fruity. Some toffee in there too.

T- Wow, very complex, but not Complicated. Great bitterness at the end that stays with you. Plus the hop burps for the rest of the night tasted just as good.

M- One word - THICK. Good carbonation.

D- Every part of this beer compliments itself. I don't know how many you could have at one sitting... judging by the ABV maybe 2-3 at most. I will definately be hitting up the brew pub for another very soon.

BigTone, Sep 05, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +13.4%

Nice head and decent retention. Nice amber color. More color than the average belgian strong pale ale.

Smell is of cloves, coriander, and orange peel. Typical of the style.

Taste is awesome: I love la fin du monde. Well, I did at first, but I'm not in the mood for it much any more because it's clovey. I think it might be a seasonal thing. This beer is so balanced and awesome, it makes me crave more belgians. I wish I had more than the one sample from DAVID EDDIE! (thanks). The flavors are so balanced. The orange peel and coriander are balanced perfectly by cloves and caramel malts. I wonder if the yeast strain toned down the "over the topness" of some belgian strongs that have turned me off this season. I'm glad I finally cracked this bottle. I did not even notice the 15% abv. I thought it was about 8%/. This tells you that candy sugar wasn't simply added to boost the abvs as a shortcut.

Mouthfeel is crisp and clean.

The most drinkable belgian strong pale ale I have ever had, not to mention it's 15% abv! Holy shit. 5+++ on drinkability.

jasonjlewis, Dec 16, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into the snifter in the brewpub. A reddish clear color with some gold, a light tan head thinly graced the top. Nose was of alcohol, plums, cherries, bannana, biscuits. The beer can only be taken in small sips, but not so much that it is difficult to drink. The fruits again take over the palate with more of the earthy grains and biscuits, sweet biscuits, with a heavy tongue of alcohol. It was good, and it was also good that I wasn't driving. It was one I'd have again, but be cautious about it.

HoboAGoGo, Dec 06, 2005
4.58/5  rDev +11.7%

I've waited a long time for this to come my way in bottled form since I first heard of this very intriging brew. Pours to a honey amber colored body hosting a fuzzy one inch perfect tan head that almost looks like browned at the edges. Fades to a skim in about a minute. Nose is wonderfully fragrent with strong notes of banana, mellon, vanilla and fruity taffy. Wow, at first sip you get love, in the form of thick silky richness. Phelonic fruitiness and zesty spicey notes. Carmalized pears are wraped in electric alchol fuzz on the tongue. This beer is huge and truely a sipper. It makes quads look weak. The 15% alchol is balanced quite well and represented by a robustbelly warming. Yet another run by the nose gets the distinct scent of circus peanuts. This beer is a blast to drink, enjoy one with a friend. Mouthfeel is thick as expected. Nicely drinkable but beware of the alchol. If you think you are drinking a "strong ale" you may want to reevalute after this one.

SPLITGRIN, Mar 10, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +11%

Poured from 22oz bottle from Sam's wine & Spirits. Poured into glass at the Port's bottle shop. It poured a orange copper color with almost no head. The aroma of candi sugar, malt, belgium yeast, spiced alcohol. Taste of banana, wild honey, corriander, esters dried apricots. Mouth Feel is sticky sweet with a very low carbonation like a medium+ body. I dont think you could throw back much of this beer, but this make an excellent sipper and is truly a beer to ponder.

sfoley333, Oct 14, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +10.5%

I received this one a good wile back and had really been looking forward to giving it a try, but had not found the right time to really get into something this big. Well this past Saturday I decided it was as good a time as any and decided to dive right into , well as best I could. A 2007 bottle that I let warm up and served in a goblet over the course of a couple hours.

Appearance - This one poured out an odd orange and pink colored liquid. Weird color to be honest, with a nice one inch high head of off white colored foam across the top. It faded somewhat slowly, but left behind a nice little bit of a crown across the top and some decent side glass rings, but nothing really to write home about in that department. Good overall haze to it, and it had the look of something that was going to hurt in the end.

Smell - The aroma was huge, but not obnoxious, just really very big. A lot of sweet tones were rumbling all through here. Lots of candied apple, bubble gum, and the unmistakable smell of banana were all clearly evident here and really quite nice. Some light sugary alcohol in the back but I was surprised there was not more to it. It really smelled like candy to me, and in a very good way.

Taste - The flavor was just right along the same path. I was expecting something that was this big to really come off rather strong, but instead it was really quite mellow, relatively speaking. It was enormously sweet with candied sugars, almost unbearably so at times, but really just insanely good. Lots of bubble gum, cotton candy, and candy apple flavors here 9can you catch my drift) with a huge bounce of banana and maybe a touch of apricot. Light alcohol in there, it was remarkable how well it was covered up, though it did start to warm you from the inside out after a while. Finish was nice, smooth with a lingering banana and grain like flavor, super sweet.

Mouthfeel - One of the thickest and most syrup like liquids I have ever come in contact with. It reminded me of strawberry syrup in its consistency. There was some carbonation in it, though not a lot, but enough to make it sickingly sweet, still though it was a thick one to put down.

Drinkability - I am going to have to score this one a five here and I will tell you why. For something that is 15%ABV, I could not tell at all by drinking it. It was insanely smooth and drinkable. In fact I sipped and finished this bottle in about two hours and loved every minute of it. It was just perfect for sipping on and one of the best of the really big beers I have seen.

Overall this was outstanding, and easily one of my favorite three Floyds brews to date. A remarkable example of the style and really just totally solid all around. I would love to get another bottle of this one someday, it was just that good.

mikesgroove, May 03, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +10.5%

Cripes this is a serious beer! Its billed at the Three Floyds pub as a "Belgian Sextuple - 16%abv".

A= This brew is a deep, unfiltered, cloudy, orange-amber color. There was a very small 1/4 inch white head which died quickly. No lacing present.

S= This beer has a huge nose to it. Practically an insane amount of fruity, yeasty aromas with scents of banana bread, nuts, candied fruit, and a hint of brown sugar. There is also the unmistakable alcohol smell which is unavoidable at this abv.

T= Flavors much the same as the scent indicates. Not quite cloyingly sweet, but close. Definitely a sipper...

MF= Very full bodied and rich. I found the carbonaton quite ample for a Belgian ale with barleywine characteristics.

D= As others have said, this is a big beer. Not for the weak palate, but definitely a treat for those who love fruity Belgian yeasts and the kick of uber-barleywine abv. I'll be having this one again!

spointon, Mar 16, 2008