Alpha Kong - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Alpha KongAlpha Kong

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  13.00% ABV

A very complex Belgian sextuple, sweet with caramel notes.

(Beer added by: orbitalr0x on 03-13-2005)
4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

Weirdbeer is my hero, he pulled this out as a semi joke, we opened it. This is possibly my biggest want. It pours a medium bodied bright amber in color with no lacing around the glass. It smells like bubblegum. It has a goofy appealing nose. It's like a Belgian barleywine. It's pretty malty and heavy on Tue caramel malts. The flavors are very sweet and again heavy on the bubblegum. It's very sweet and. Sipper. It's a sextuppel, a huge beer. I like it but its a sipper. This beer is interesting and efficient. Great craftsmanship.

aasher, Oct 17, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle generously shared by smithm1970 at the last Jackie O's release. Very happy to try it, I traded away the only bottle I had last year...

This is a murky golden color, off white foam. Strong aroma, really strong, with toffee and "imperial hefeweizen" notes. Bubblegum and clove, esters, maybe an imperial hefeweizen with Belgian yeast. And alcohol, lots of alcohol.

Caramel and toffee, loads of ethanol, a tasty sipper. Maybe imperial hefeweizen is inaccurate here, more of a Belgian barleywine/hefe. There's a lot going on, threatening to become a mess, sometimes stepping over the line but mostly staying reasonably tasty.

TurdFurgison, Sep 03, 2011
4.1/5  rDev 0%

Bottle shared at Jackie os

Can't believe this one ;)

Pours a pretty clear brownish orange. A nice yellowish tint. Some nice white head that dissipates quickly. Smells malty and boozy. Not much banana on the nose or tongue really. As it warms the booziness becomes more apparent. Banana peaks through. Sme nice light hops. Still pretty nice.

Urbancaver, Aug 27, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +6.8%

Mostly clear with a yellow/orange/brownish hue - nice sized layer of white foamy head on top.

Very sweet in the aroma and flavor wise (but not to the point of making it undrinkable by any means) - along with the ever-present sweetness, some banana & mild tropical fruit flavors lingering as well. A bit of burn from the high ABV make this one a sipper for sure. Well carbonated but with a slightly thick feel to it - very nice mouthfeel.

Very glad I was able to try this - still holding up well after all these years. Seek it out if you can... delicious brew.

thetomG, Jun 13, 2011

Review #200

Decided to pull out something special for this milestone so here it is!

22oz Bottle Into a Tulip Glass at fridge temperature

A- Pours a nice murky almost pinkish brown with a real thin 1 finger white head that dissipates right away. Not much lacing but some serious alcohol legs on the side of the glass.

S- Sweet caramel and toffee up front with tons of banana, bubble gum, and clove from the Belgian yeast. Definitely some alcohol in the background, hard to miss it. Has a slight must to it as well, probably from the age and the cellar it was in.

T- Just like the smell you get a strong creamy caramel body up front with plenty of belgian spice notes to follow. Really sweet overall and plenty of heat in the finish as it warms.

M- Full bodied with low carbonation and a nice wet finish.

SkÅL!

Arenbeer, Mar 28, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +19%

Shared this bad boy with two other BA's. Poured from bomber into snifters.

A: Golden orange with no head. Slight lace clings to side of the glass. This beer has a beautiful Tawny Port appearance.

S: Apricot/ Carmel/ Toffee/ Burnt Sugar/ Boozy

Taste: The apricot and toffee really come out on the palate with a nice warming alcohol feel on the finish.

MF: Port like. Silky and full body, coats the mouth very nicely.

Drink: For 15% abv this goes down easily. Each sip of this brew begs for another.

Overall:
A fabulous beer and a rare treat to savor with friends. As this beer warms the complexity grows. I could not keep my nose of the glass. For those lucky enough to have a bottle of this, it will continue to age beautifully. Cheers!

TriGuy20, Jan 02, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Just found my notes on this guy! I, in my infinite wisdom, decided to crack this beast open well into the night at a tasting I hosted last summer.

Scrawled in my notebook, my notes are exactly as follows:

Sweet
Wow strong
Strong abv throughout
wow big

In retrospect, that about sums up this beer. Huge, gargantuan, palate attacking (see the label), sweet, strong, bold flavor.

"They were who we thought they were." - Dennis Green

Huhzubendah, Dec 22, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +4.4%

How can you not like a Belgian "Sex Tupel?" Almost too much going on here to ferret out the various flavors. Sweet, heading in the direction of syrupy. 15% abv? I have no doubt about that - sharp, peppery alcohol almost stings the tongue at times. Cotton candy, dates, some brown sugar and pear . . . I think.

Brent, Sep 28, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from the bottle into a Bruery tulip. This is my first time having this for almost two years, so I'm interested in seeing how it is drinking these days. I remember that it blew me away when I first had it.

The pour is a burned orange color, like the sun slipping under the horizon on a clear day in Santa Monica. Golden highlights are evident, but the deep orange is predominant. Enchanting, really. An off-yellow head forms and fights vainly for survival, but with a beer of this strength it doesn't have much of a chance. I admire its tenacity though. Clarity is great - this is a beautiful beer.

Smell is very nice. Sweet aromas of banana, bubble gum, and a hint of clove strike me first. As the beer warms, more candy aromas come out, predominantly butterscotch.

While bananas hit me first in the aroma, the taste is all candy up front. Butterscotch, English toffee, caramel, with dried fruit and banana dancing in the background. Booze. What kind of candy is Werther's Originals? It has a lot of that kind of flavor. Clearly this beer is quite sweet, but I don't find it terribly off-putting. The sweetness is not overbearing and the flavors are well-integrated. Long, warming finish.

Mouthfeel is pretty damn good. Sticky, thick, but with enough carbonation that it does not feel heavy or weigh me down.

Drinkability is a tough one. Considering the strength and sweetness of this brew, it's dangerously drinkable. That said, it's not a beer that I can really drink a lot of, certainly no more than a single bomber on my own. But... man... 15%? This is just a beast, and I will review it with that in mind.

Really great beer, very unusual (a Belgian sextuple?) and tasty. I don't know why they stopped brewing this one. Perhaps they will revisit it again in the future. I have two more bottles sitting there waiting for me which I look forward to drinking. This beer is a few years old at this point but I think that it will be fine for years to come.

Highly recommended.

davod23, Aug 23, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +8%

Bottle generously shared by Matt at a recent tasting. BTW, I am ISO this beer. If you have it and want to trade, send me a message. This beer was bottled in 2006 and advertised on the label as a Belgian sextuple, I think we get the point, its big.

Beer is brown and has no head, carbonation is low and there is no lacing. Beer is mostly clear. I swirl it around the snifter to see what's happening and the beer leaves mild legs on the walls of the glass.

The aroma is strong but its not super sweet or boozy, it actually smells a little like bananas. OK, strongly like bananas. I wonder if this is intended, there is a giant monkey on the label. I personally found this quite funny and proceeded to the drinking portion with high hopes.

Beer is sweet and really smooth. There is very little heat for such a big beer and its surprisingly drinkable. It was my general understanding that this beer was quite hot but this is kind of a dream, especially for a 15% beer. It leads off with this maltiness to it, and follows that with this complex, mildly alcoholic fruit center and finishes a little dry. Its interesting. Surprisingly drinkable for such a huge endeavor. I'd definitely have it again.

drabmuh, Aug 11, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -3.7%

22 oz. bottle tried 9 Dec 2007. Courtesy of Phil, thanks!

Head lasts for approximately 3 nanoseconds after pouring. Bright coppery almost ruby in color. Sweet syrupy boozy aroma, reminiscent of bourbon or brandy. Wow that is sweet and strong! Lots of dates, alcohol, bananas foster. Sticky heavy body. Finish is fairly bitter and warming.

Definitely want to sip this one...

htomsirveaux, Jul 01, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Listen! What's the hell is that? OMG it's Alpha Kong here to destroy!!! AK pours up with a light carbonation that creates a tannish-white head that dissipates slowly under a barrage of alcohol, but manages to cover the deep copper-orangish amber body. The sweet candied caramel character almost completely dominates the aroma with hints of allspice, dried herbs and orange blossom honey underlying a noticeable alcoholic warmth. The flavor starts off quite fruity with an expressive caramel maltiness that shows hints of brown sugar, hot caramel apple, buttered rum & toffee/treacle. There's a slight astringent nuttiness (Brazil nut) in the finish that's marked by a slight bitterness which helps to bring balance to this chewy full-bodied barley monster. This self-described "sextuppel" is sure to please a seasoned beer connoisseur, but definitely NOT a beer for the uninitiated. I recommend sharing this Belgian-style Strong Armed Blue Beast with your friends, because handling him wholly could cause temporary blindness. Long live the Alpha Kong from Munster!

CHEERS! Beertracker

Beertracker, Apr 19, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +14.1%

22 oz. Bomber, thanks alleykatking!

Looks like an unfiltered apple cider, a dark golden color and very hazy. Smells like bananas, a little yeasty but mostly bananas and some alcohol. Tastes sweet, alcohol, and bananas. Honestly, I taste Now-N-Later banana candies, very delicious! Mouthfeel is good, the carbonation is still holding up for being aged a year or two, feels good! If you can't tell, I really like this beer and it is unbelieveably drinkable for a beer of this ABV (15abv I think?). Great beer, please brew this again!

Lukafer, Apr 16, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Massive thanks to oldstylecubsfan for passing this one along.

Pours a hazy caramel brown that shows bright orange in the light, with a small off-white head that doesn't leave much lacing, just some sticky legs after each sip.

The aroma is massively sweet - vanilla, caramel, bananas, booze-soaked plums, caramelized sugar, fruity ester galore. It's all surrounded by the ever-present alcohol presence.

The taste is just as huge, definition of a sipper. It's got the shockingly sweet molasses and caramel backbone with chewy sugary fruits just exploding on the palate. The finish has a hint of wood but much, much more than a hint of alcohol.

The mouthfeel is thick, chewy and, of course, sugary sweet.

This is a seriously big beer with tons of flavors (mostly sweet) fighting for attention with the alcohol. I'm not sure I'd peg it at 15%, but it definitely feels higher than 10%. In that respect, it's fairly drinkable for the ABV, but I wouldn't recommend chugging this one...or really even drinking the bomber by yourself. Overall, it's an excellent beer.

gford217, Jan 27, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this up in Chicago in Sept 2008, no idea that this was a discontinued, fondly recalled beer. Just saw there was one on the shelf, looked good, & away I went. Blind squirrel, nut, & all that. No idea how old it was, I'm sure it sat for so long due to the price tag!

Anyways, split the bomber with the wife on our annual vacation, assuring that we didn't have to rise & do anything with syringes or keep anyone alive the next day (OK, that's just my wife). Kong came out flat & muscled, orange flame-red. It looked a little angry. Smell sweet & low.

This simian came to play. Lots of depth in this monkey, with some soft caramel, sweet apples, candied fruit rolled in sugar. All of which took a back seat to the terrifying specter of lighter fluid soaked in fresh fruit, lashing out with a roar. Yikes. I wonder how many decades it would take for this beast to mellow out.

No carbonation, & the alcohol is, ah, apparent, burning like a forest fire before the helicopters & smoke jumpers arrive on the scene. Almost medicinal. Drinkable? Not if I want to go to work with two brain cells to rub together.

Overall? Man. Very good beer. Unique, complex, deep, overwhelming. Hope 3F brings this one back someday, I'd like to sit on one for a decade or two & see what it evolves into further.

maximum12, Jun 29, 2009

A: The pour of this beer looked like it was in slow motion it was so thick. A translucent amber color. There was a touch of white head on the pour but it went away almost immediately.

S: Tons of sweetness. Candi sugar abounds. Quite a bit of fruit in there as well but everything sort of yielded to the smell of booze.

T: Very sweet and dry. The fruit was there and doing it;s best to try to balance out all of the alcohol and for the most part it did a nice job. Really over the top.

M: Like used motor oil. Super thick and coating.

D: Somehow this was really drinkable. The bomber was split amongst several people so that really did help out. Could I drink a bomber of this by myself? Sure. Is it better shared? Definately. Worth checking out at least once.

aerozeppl, May 26, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

A: Lighter amber body with no head.

S: Every light colored fruit on the planet. There is some anise and lots of sugar.

T: Very sweet with tons of candi sugar. Tons of fruit. Slight bitterness In the aftertaste. Pretty boozey.

M: Pretty heavy especially for the color. Almost feels like a liquor.

D: Considering the abv, it's pretty decent, however you can't drink a bottle.

drseamus, May 26, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +8%

This beer has to be one of my favorite offerings from FFF

A-Poured into a pint glass. Deep amber color pours out a little thick to my eye. The ABV on this I think keeps there from pouring a head no matter how hard I try. The lacing on this too is almost non existent.

S- While I was pouring this all I could smell was bananna. I let it sit for a couple of minutes to give it some time to calm down and when I came back although I still smelled the bananna I also picked up some hints of malt and cloves. Also, a little sugary smell (sweet) and of course an alcohol smell.

T- First off let me say that once this beer warms up you can taste more of the alcohol to it and less of everything else. On that note..it had a sugary bananna bread taste to it. While it was still cooler the alcohol didn't really come through like it did once it warmed up. This is an amazing beer.

M- Big, thick, heavy mouthfeel I thought. It packs a little kick with it but is still not over the top as with some beers.

D- I know I hear most people they couldn't drink a full bomber but I have almost always drank this one by myself the many times I have had it. I have had two before in a row and wouldn't suggest that but hey when you like a beer you like a beer right??

alleykatking, Apr 19, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

S: The aroma is loaded with candi sugars and spices, including cinnamin and nutmeg. I was expecting an absolute malt bomb (it is labelled as a sextupel ale), so the restraint and spice profile are quite welcome.

T: The ale reminds me of a biere de Noel, strong on both candi sugars and spices. The first sip reveals a yeasty dryness that I'd normally mistake for St. Bernardus 12 or Rochefort 10. The delicious depth of raisins, candi sugars and plums is intoxicatingly good, both flavorwise and strengthwise. The trademark amarillo hops of FFF are gone, which is fairly surprising when even the Irish stout is a hop bomb. Their absence is not missed and the depth is quite impressive without them. This is a true grand cru offering.

M: Spicy with a great Belgian yeast finish. This beer would taste awesome on a cold wintery, snowy day.

D: Hot damn, 15%? You'd never know it while sipping it but this one is gonna hurt in the morning. One bottle, shared with another would be perfect.

FarmHouseJam, Apr 08, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -29.3%

Ruby amber, clear in color. Slowly rising carbonation somewhat thin head that falls to a ring. Looks nice. Smell is strong of spice and candi sugar. Not too bad but a bit sweet overall. Taste has a good variety of flavors but is somewhat hot and again, sweet. Clove, coriander, orange, pear, apple, honey, caramel, some brown sugar, and lightly toasted bread. A lot going on but just out of balance and overwhelming. Not one of my favorites within the style, though it is quite unique. Lightly creamy in the mouth with a bit of heat and slight dryness. Not so drinkable. Huge monster of a beer, which isn't really necessary here. A struggle to even drink half a bottle of this, compared to others that I could drink a 750ml bottle of because they're more approachable. An interesting beer, for sure. Overall, not one I think I'll return to.

ncvbc, Jan 28, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

Thank you again Scubarex for this fantastic brew in my SS BIF box

A: the head just does not exist which for me is disappointing but at 15% not surprising the body is a very turbulent hazy sunrise of a color. almost like wet hay and straw.

S: the smell is a bit sweet and syrupy, almost cloying, but not bad. there is definitely that cough syrupy sorta aroma, but not so over powering that it dominates the whole show

T: there is a certain sugary sweetness that like the aroma is syrupy in taste but less viscous on the finish there is an apparent malt and caramel backbone that is pushed back by the almost candied fruit taste, most noticeably is the green apple and a prune or raisin taste.

M/D: one think i will have to say, is at 15% you would expect this beer to be a bit of a bear, but its not overly boozy and is really easy on the finish. it has that dried and sugared fruit thing going on, but that's fine and if it is your thing you will love this beer

Redwood21, Jan 21, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -7.8%

22oz bottle, obtained from the brewery about 16 months ago, shared with a few during the nfl playoffs

appearance: poured into a pint glass, clear amber body with virtually no head...darker than you would expect from the style with a lot less lace - this beer certainly streches past the boundaries of the style

smell: strong alcohol, buttery biscuit, candied sugars, honey, sweet caramel, cinnamon and spice, brown sugar, yeast

taste: candied sugar, brown sugar, heavy dosage of booze, buttery. Sweet and fruity - apple, passion fruit, banana and peach. thick malt core with a fiery alcohol presence. this bomber would be near impossible to consume in its entirety without some assistance - interesting but off-style and a bit over the top

mouthfeel: smooth but fiery

drinkability: rough stuff

dirtylou, Jan 04, 2009
3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

Picked up a bomber from Lush Wine and Spirits in Roscoe Village in Chicago, IL.

A: Pours a dark orangy red color with a very little white colored head that reduces to almost nothing. Some lacing on the glass while drinking.

S: acidic, citrousy, alcoholic aromas with some banana too

T: Definitely a big kick in the mouth when drinking this. Tastes similar to the smell with some rye/piney flavors in there too, but that might just be the bite from the alcohol. I get more used to the intensity as I drink it and I like it more either as it warms or as I get acclimated to the flavor, not sure which.

M: Like I said, a kick in the mouth. Very stingy/bitey. Slightly warming from the alcohol. Full bodied.

D: I didn't really fall in love with this beer and being able to taste the high ABV has this low on the drinkibility meter for me.

dukedevil0, Dec 16, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

A- A Dark golden copper color, almost the color of apple juice. The head is very non-existent. Wow I would say sparkling apple juice or something to what this looks like mostly. This isn't normal Belgian Strong Pale Ale look.

S- I can smell clove, honey, and apples. I don't know if the apple juice look has got me hooked on apples or what, but I'm smelling them. I'm also, for the first time, getting the pink bubble gum smell. Also the presence of the high alcohol is there as well. I'm wondering if this is going to be a hot beast or what.

T- Complex for sure. There is the apple juice there up front and on the buds. Bubble gum taste is slightly there. There is honey taste for sure, the slight clove taste is there as well. The fact that this is such a big beer its hard to put a finger on all the tastes here. I think because this has such a high ABV that the tastes are so intense they can't have their own individuality. As far as the abv, its hidden for the most part.

M- This is thick, but it has to be for the high ABV, however, it could have used more carbination to help cut this down a bit.

D- It is good, but I think tis could live in a small bottle as well. But that wouldn't be the style of this brewery. When I think of FFF, its go big or go home. This is big for sure. But This could be big in a smaller bottle. Since I'm a greedy MOFO, I'm not going to share it.

Wetpaperbag, Nov 11, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a ruby brown color with no head.

Scent of bubble gum, caramel, candi sugar, hops, and a hint of oak.

Taste of caramel, candi sugar, strawberries, bananas, and slight bubble gum. Lasting taste of hops. Very sweet and savory taste. Bourbon flavor becomes apparent with some warmth.

Smooth, cloying mouthfeel balanced out with a nice bite.

paco1029384756, Oct 12, 2008