Alpha Kong - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha Kong
No picture.

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  10.50% ABV

Beer added by: orbitalr0x on 03-13-2005

A super fruity, dry hopped, Belgian sextuple, with notes of cardamon.

4.02/5  rDev 0%

a - first pour from the bomber into a tulip glass had a two-fingers thick beautiful eggshell-colored cascading head. but it was gone almost as quickly as it came. the second pour had some staying power and left nice lace and sheeting. not sure what the difference was. the body was a dark amber color.
s - sweet and fruity, hints of candy apple and bubble gum.
t - caramel, toffee with an underlying spiciness. this is syrupy sweet, almost too sweet.
m - heavy and sticky, really coats the tongue.
d - definitely a sipper. comes through a little hot. best to be shared with someone and it's definitely one of a kind. (616 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

Picked up this bad boy at Binny's for $15.99 (it better be good). Have been wanting to try it for some time so I'm glad I found it. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale tulip.

Appearance- Pours a nice orange/red with excellent clarity and about a ¼ very fine white head. The cap recedes pretty quickly revealing a spotty top and a ultra thin collar that leaves no lacing.
Smell- Very in-yo-face and easy to tell this one's gonna be a sipper. Very sweet with tons of banana, clove and nutmeg. Brown sugar and toffee is plentiful adding to the aforementioned sweetness. Slightly dirty with that old familiar Belgium bite and warm whiffs of alcohol abound.
Taste- Hella warming with a big blast of fruity alcohol from the start. Lots of Belgium body and style with a nice American twist. A bit grainy and raw with all of the sweetness that was mentioned in the nose. Almost cloying but I think this bottle probably has enough age on it to help cut some of the early sweetness. Bananas and cloves are the primary flavors along with the mustiness from the yeast. Finishes a bit hot but not bad for 15%.
Mouthfeel- Medium to heavy body with about perfect carbonation. Slightly warming and sticky as it goes down.
Drinkability- Like most people who have reviewed this brew already said, find a friend. It's a big beer to mess with by yourself. Like most FFF offerings this is very well done and pretty damn tasty, plus over-the-top. If you have a (1,439 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -3%

A bomber, which is too much of this beer to drink alone in good judgement (but that's not stopping me), into a large tulip.

Pours a thick clear deep coppery amber. No head at first, as the carbonation fights and cascades through the body to form a tight creamy head that fades slowly to a bubbly film.

Nose is very deep, sweet, and full, with up front banana and grains. Almost like banana bread or bananas foster, with caramel and sugar plus a myriad of other scents. Rich fruity smells of raisin and date deepen the banana, with a lot of breadiness and some whiffs of tangy fruit hiding out in the back.

Taste - go easy on this guy, a big swig could easily lay you out. Caramelly, sweet, with tangy fruits. Again, rich with syrupy banana, dates, and some alcohol heat at the finish. There's a lot more than that, but it's like drinking a rich sweet fruit bread.

Feel puts this one at one of the heaviest beers I've tried. Body doesn't seem as thick as it feels, a bit like syrup, making 22oz somewhat intimidating. Some astringency cuts through the thickness. Carbonation is only present enough to lightly tingle on the tongue, swallowed in the body of this beast.

As much as I really like this beer, I can't reasonably give it more of a rating for drinkability. It's a good sipper, but it's big, with an abv to match at 15%. I'll be working on this one all afternoon. If you can't handle serious and intimidating beer, walk away from this one. (1,452 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -2.2%

Obtained in an awesome trade with Blanchette (many many thanks)

I think I could have let this sit another few months as it is a bit hot on the alcohol, but i've been waiting awhile to try this...

A- poured a very hazy dark amber into the glass, not an impressive head retained at all

S- besides alcohol (no surprise there) the upfront nose is a sugary banana and something else candy-like, bubblegum maybe?

T- following in suite with the aroma, this is one sweet yet boozy beer. There are traces of banana, raisin, and pear that I could pick out but the alcohol does cut it down a little.

M- i was not surprised at the heavier feel of this beer given its hazy appearance and high abv. It kinda leaves a residue in the mouth that is sweet burn.

D- oh, oh it's tasty and was well worth trading for. The high abv however packs a punch, this bottle is worth sharing (or not, i definitely didnt) (897 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +8.7%

I got this in a trade with joe1510. Thanks Joe!

This pours a clear amber with a very small head of foam that leaves the scene rather quickly.

The smell...yeah...lots of dark fruit, caramel malt, bubble gum, clove, banana, and alcohol.

The taste on first sip and man, I'm getting a lot of candy sugar along with notes of banana, clove, apple, dark fruit, caramel, some yeast, and some alcohol. Very warming but no surprise there but this will do me for the night, me thinks. ;^)

The mouthfeel is medium though at times, it seems to border on syrupy, the carbonation is light, and it finishes with a slight tartness that lingers on through the aftertaste. Wow.
I love how the sweet part of this brew mixes so well with the tartness from the apple and dark fruit. To me, this one definitely taste like a Belgian and my hat's off to Three Floyd's. Very very nice brew! (869 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +12.9%

Cripes this is a serious beer! Its billed at the Three Floyds pub as a "Belgian Sextuple - 16%abv".

A= This brew is a deep, unfiltered, cloudy, orange-amber color. There was a very small 1/4 inch white head which died quickly. No lacing present.

S= This beer has a huge nose to it. Practically an insane amount of fruity, yeasty aromas with scents of banana bread, nuts, candied fruit, and a hint of brown sugar. There is also the unmistakable alcohol smell which is unavoidable at this abv.

T= Flavors much the same as the scent indicates. Not quite cloyingly sweet, but close. Definitely a sipper...

MF= Very full bodied and rich. I found the carbonaton quite ample for a Belgian ale with barleywine characteristics.

D= As others have said, this is a big beer. Not for the weak palate, but definitely a treat for those who love fruity Belgian yeasts and the kick of uber-barleywine abv. I'll be having this one again! (927 characters)

4.02/5  rDev 0%

A: Pours a murky amber sort of copper hue with a rather puny one finger egg shell white head. The head dies rather quickly and leaves no lacing. Ample carbonation for the style.

S: Holy moley this one has an aroma. An insane amout of strong over ripe with banana with a hint of nuts. Apple comes next with definte notes of big league chew bubblegum. Clove yeast along with a bit of crushed blacked pepper and all spice bring this one together. It finishes with the burn of booze along with a bit of dark brown sugar.

T: Holy moley it carries over to the taste. Talk about taste overload, this is it. Let's start with the booze, this one is 15% ABV and you know this right from the start. Once you get past the burn you begin to enjoy the sweet big league chew type bubble gum flavors. Apple makes and appearence as does banana. The spices come next with clove dominating, but allspice, and black pepper make themselves known as well. The booze taste lingers throught and contiues to burn as this one disappears down the throat.

M: As full bodied as they come. This one is thick, rich and downright smooth for the ABV. The carbonaton is ample for the style.

D: Man I drank it myself and I should be rewarded. This is one big, eh HUGE beer.

Overall: I love 3 Floyds more than I can describe. They are always pushing the envelope and let me tell you they took Belgian and pushed it off the map. Huge aromas, huge ABV, and even bigger taste. This is not your average mans brew. It is to be enjoyed by the Kong class of men. (1,526 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -8%

22 ounce bottle received in a trade with bassmantin, thanks for giving me the opportunity to try this rare treat, split with my buddy today after a long horrible day at work for both of us, poured into my Chimay goblet

A-Medium orange with some brown and red highlights, not near as dark as you would think it is judging by its high ABV, small 1/4 inch bubbly white head, not much retention, some lacing only at the beginning

S-Tons of apples, sweet malt, Belgian yeast, sugar, sour candy, dates, figs, prunes, dates, raisins, plums, pommegranates, toffee, lots of booze, bananas, bubble gum, black cherries, and oranges

T-Started off tasting sweet but the big alcohol flavor did not attack until later, lots of dark fruit at the beginning, then some spiciness in the middle, followed by a huge boozy finish, got progressively harder to drink as it got warmer, super hot taste that did not lack any flavor, tons of granny smith apples and caramel malt towards the end, hard to drink the eight ounces or so I poured into my glass, like nothing else I have had

M-Spicy, hot, sweet, strong, and malty mouthfeel all at once, do not know how else to describe it, lots of alcohol on the tongue, thick body for its color, could have probably used some more carbonation

D-Could have never drank this bottle by myself, ABV is a whopping fifteen percent and you can certainly taste it, not smooth and gives new definition to a sipper, cannot imagine anybody polishing one of these off on their own

Needed try this as soon as I saw it was bottled, been in my cellar for close to six months and finally decided to pop it tonight, strongest tasting beer of this style I have ever had, would try again, could possibly get better after a year or two of aging, recommended (1,762 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +14.2%

I've waited a long time for this to come my way in bottled form since I first heard of this very intriging brew. Pours to a honey amber colored body hosting a fuzzy one inch perfect tan head that almost looks like browned at the edges. Fades to a skim in about a minute. Nose is wonderfully fragrent with strong notes of banana, mellon, vanilla and fruity taffy. Wow, at first sip you get love, in the form of thick silky richness. Phelonic fruitiness and zesty spicey notes. Carmalized pears are wraped in electric alchol fuzz on the tongue. This beer is huge and truely a sipper. It makes quads look weak. The 15% alchol is balanced quite well and represented by a robustbelly warming. Yet another run by the nose gets the distinct scent of circus peanuts. This beer is a blast to drink, enjoy one with a friend. Mouthfeel is thick as expected. Nicely drinkable but beware of the alchol. If you think you are drinking a "strong ale" you may want to reevalute after this one. (976 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle courtesy of iconoklaztor: Poured a deep copper color ale with a small foamy head with minimal retention and no lacing. Aroma of sweet malt is totally dominating. Taste is also dominated by sweet malt with some candi sugar notes. I couldn't detect any fruity ester or dry fruits elements or even some toffee notes. The whole taste spectrum is dominated by sweet malt. Medium body with low carbonation and no apparent alcohol. I thought this was really one-dimensional and would have expected some complexity- I don't get why this is arte so high. (552 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%

Had this on tap at FFF's brewpub. When the waitress brought it over, it had a dark amber/orange/red color with no visible head and a strong smell that was very fruity, bubble-gummy, and caramel. It almost reminds me of dried fruit in these bins at the health food store.

The viscosity looked almost to be syrupy-thick as I swirled it around the glass while drinking it, but not quite. The mouthfeel was full of flavor and sweet and creamy and had a warmness on the swallow. This is a very drinkable 16% abv beer and can sneak up on you! (537 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -1%

This beer pours a fantastic color. Its almost like a nice aged bourbon. The smell is fantastic. The first thing I smelled was spice and bubble gum. The instant I tasted this brew bubble gum and spice came to mind. It has a huge spice taste with a bubble gum finish. I wouldn't be able to drink more than one of these mostly because of the price.

Overall, a great brew from FFF! It has a nice taste and appearance but its a little hard on the wallet and head the next morning. Try it! Enjoy it! (495 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a medium brownish red color. Very little head and weak lacing.

Smell is very sweet with a lingering alcohol aroma. The taste is quite robust - a great mixture of complex flavors. Spiciness, bubble gum, alcohol, with a decent amount of carbonation. This is a very interesting beer.

Overall: Takes you on a magical journey but the fare is expensive ($15+) (361 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +6.7%

Who else but tpd975 to hook me up with this monster, you kick major ass, thank you!

22 oz. bomber poured into a tulip.

Pours a murky dark copper hue with a one finger off-white head that dies down to a thin pillowy ring of bubbles. Swirling the glass leaves some webbing on the sides, but it doesn't last long. Smell is strong banana bread with a hint of metallic notes. Pepper and spice enter the nose with a carmelized almond scent. Some nuts and cane sugar tingle as well. Very complex smell, and I'm shocked by the 15% abv. Sweet Bazooka Joe flavor up front with banana and coconut as well. Pear, apple, and grape with a pepper sting. A warm rum like flavor in the aftertaste that's felt throughout the body. Mouthfeel is full and thick but surprisingly smooth. Carbonation is almost not there, but fits the beer quite well. I started to "feel" this one after half a glass, wow. This one goes down much too easy for the huge abv. bill, but I'm not complaining. Three Floyds does Belgian, and they did it right. I'm amazed by this beer. Thanks again Greg :) (1,062 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -5%

Thanks to SPLITGRIN for the trade.

I've been saving this one to drink with a friend since the 15% abv is a bit intimidating. So I took this one with me to a skiing trip with some friends this weekend and split half a bottle with one of them.

Poured an amber color, one of the darkest belgian pale ales I've seen so far, with about 1/2 inch of head.

I picked up the banana gum aroma right away on this one, so did my friend a few minutes later. Then I concentrated and could detect some sweet melon and a mix of tropical fruits. The slight aroma of alcohol made me think of cherries, or a berry smoothie. Also there were some toasted malts and hints of caramel.

Tasted like dark fruits, cherries, bananas, ripe melon, and toasted bread. A bit of an alcohol heat.

Mouthfeel was a bit syrupy, but decent.

It was a little hard to drink for my friend, he seemed to taste the alcohol more than I did and he didn't like the beer too much for that reason, although he did finish his glass. Drinkability is quite low if you plan on drinking this one yourself, share it. (1,066 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Shivtim and Georgiabeer for sharing this with me in the impromptu BA gathering yesterday at the Brick Store.

Poured into a tulip. I got the first pour which produced no head but was a nice deep yellow to light amber. Carbonation forcing it's way to the surface though which gave off a great fruity aroma..this had a big nose to it..a bit of bubblegum, banana, plums and raisins..and I'm sure there were some other esters there but my nose isn't that good.

The taste was surprisingly malt heavy...which gave the feel a bit of thickness..the taste had some complex fruit going on in there and a very mild but assertive hop ending. The overall character of this beer is huge in all aspects..but I found it very interesting for the high ABV it was not very "hot" at all and had very little alcohol taste to it at all..very smooth and enjoyable..the ABV prevents more than one serving responsibly for a night.

My only regret to this one was that I didn't have the time in my schedule to sit down with 3 other cool BAs to share and really discuss this at length. I have to get together with these guys some time to have a few and spend some time with some great BAs (1,175 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +5%

Thanks very much to Shivtim for sharing this with a few of us at the Brick Store Pub. I'dlooked for this on a couple of occasions in the past and it has always eluded me. Poured a shining amber- this beer is so viscous that it fairly shimmers in the glass. The first glass out of the bottle had no head at all. The rest had a slow to form head that then quickly faded. The bubbling from the carbonation oozed up through the thick liquid like lava lamp bubbles. The smell starts with heavy notes of bubblegum as well as a lot of sweetness, enough alcohol to stun you, and quite a bit of fruit including banana, pear, apple,cherry, and some plum on the finish. There are also notes of white pepper. This is a huge, thick, sweet beer- its a monster, and I like it,but I sure wouldn't want to drink it all the time. Still, a pleasure to while away an hour sipping on a glass or two. (878 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

Biergotter Brewclub brewday tasting extravaganza, I purchased this one at Whole Foods in Chicago.

Pours a clear orange/amber, thin white head forms, settles down to a thin ring, leaves a few lace spots behind, and some nice legs on the glass. Smell is sweet, tons of caramel, bubblegum, alcohol, honey, floral, bananas, spice, big aroma. Taste is similar, tons of caramel, bubblegum, bananas, alcohol, bread, candi sugar, some floral, spices, kind of cinnamon and nutmeg, very big flavour. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with low carbonation, not to be trifled with. I think its a cool concept and is a pretty kickass beer, and surprisingly drinkable for 16%. (664 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -30.1%

This beer is certainly a technical accomplishment, but like a lot of technically difficult beers (such as: Bud/Miller/Coors Light, Triple Bock, 120 Minute Ale, ect.) it isn't terribly interesting to drink.

The beer pours a deep red-gold, with almost no head. What little head there is, manages to form a nice right around my chalice, but I can't say I'm terribly impressed.

The beer's smell is awkward. It is as though it can't decide whether it wants to be a Tripel or a weizen, so it splits the difference. Lots of clove, candy-corn, banana, and a hefty dose of booze.

The beer's taste maintains the awkward medley found in the nose, but a deep honey is added to it. That's it. Just honey. A blast of alcohol prevents the beer from beng cloyingly thick, but it is still quite sweet.

The mouthfeel is neither thin nor thick. That strange Belgian neither-nor. I don't much care for it myself, but I can't penalize it for being vaguely in-style. But it is "in-style" in the way a lot of American Belgians are, that is to say, a vaguely offensive mockery of the real thing.

Drinkability. Well, overall this beer tastes like a lot of sub-par American tripels. You know, they have a strong yeast presence, are overly sweet, and don't really come together. It isn't a terrible beer, but at around $20 a pop, I really wouldn't recommend it except for the most die-hard Tripel fan.

I mean, I get it. We have massively malty beers like British Barleywines. Those have been pushed to the extreme, right? We also have massively hoppy beers. Those have also been pushed to extremes, right? We also have yeasty beers that have been pushed to extremes, Tripels and Quads are those beers. But FFF decided that they were less of an "extreme" form of brewing and more the norm, so they would supersize them. Why? It is like an Octoplebock. Why? (1,837 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A very interesting beverage. The first "sextuple" I've had, and the only one I know of. The beer pours to a dark ruby color, fairly hazy with all the residual sugars. The carbonation is apparent, but not over the top. The head is tiny, as expected, and consequently the retention is quite poor. No lacing sticks to the glass.

The smell is quite intense. Heavily caramelized malts, doughy, biscuity, raisins and other dark dried fruits, banana, clove, bubblegum, candi sugar, rum, plenty of alcohol. There is just too much going on here, and the alcohol burns the nostrils into a state of numb. The taste is very similar to how I've described it in the nose (although everything seems to come together a little more), so I'll omit that part of the review.

The body is intensely thick and soft. Surprisingly it isn't a cloying sticky sweet mess, however. There is a decent bitterness in the finish that balances it out fairly well for such a monstrous ale. Alcohol burn isn't all that bad, but you can definitely tell it is there.

As you could imagine, drinkability suffers a big from the intense flavors and high alcohol. Pretty good, but probably one of my least favorite FFF brews. I'm not an "extreme beer just for the sake of being extreme" consumer, so your experience may differ from mine. (1,298 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -6%

Viggo shared this one at the Biergotter club brewday/tasting. Thanks Eric!
This one was pretty much clear and a deep orange colour. The head was super fine, though thin, and settled into a longlasting ring and fine skim on the beer's surface. Aroma was all over - bubblegum, orange, bready yeast, mellow alcohol, banana, cloves, and (unfortunately) a bit of hot solvent. Same in the flavour, except the cloves and banana were less noticeable. Medium bitterness with a lot of sweetness. Warm, nearly hot alcohol towards the end. Medium to full bodied with moderate carbonation and a bit of stickiness. Pretty good overall. About what I expect from 3F and fairly drinkable, but it needs to sit for a while until the hot edge is tempered. (735 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +2%

From notes

22 oz into bicentennial Mason jar.

A: Very nice to look at. Pretty good head that disappears.

S: Pink bubble gum. Cane sugar. Caramels and rums.

T: Tastes like it smells. I didn't take very good notes on this one, but this is a very good beer definately worth a try.

M: I remember this beer having a very nice and full body.

D: Pretty sweet but pretty good. Very strong too. If you likie sweet and strong then go get em (438 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful reddish amber color with little head that disappears fast. It even LOOKS thick.

Smell is sweet & fruity. Lots of banana with some raisins. You can smell the alcohol - not a big surprise considering the high ABV.

Taste is malty & sweet. Bananas & raisins again with some bubble gum thrown in. Alcohol is prevalent, but not overpowering (again, considering the high ABV).

Mouthfeel is thick & chewy - almost like cough syrup - with very little carbonation. I love it.

This is a beautiful and delicious beer - great for a special occasion. I'd been looking for it for a while, so just getting my hands on it was a special occasion! (642 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +7.5%

Had this on tap at 3F brewpub on 1/10/08.

A- a deep golden amber/orange color that represents maybe what I would call a bronze. The color itself was rather attractive but there was really no head on it at all. I am beginning to think that the lack of head is a feature of on tap beers at 3F. It seems that they try to max the amount of beer in the glass so they give you no head. I think they should just buy bigger glasses n give us some more foam.

S - Super fragrant. The smell is a ton of large notes of mango/banana and clove. Very sweet smelling and hard to not notice the sweetness of this brew. Love how the smell just comes off of it so that there is not a huge struggle to tell if there is anything there at all.

T- A sextuple and with that comes some super sweetness that at first hits the tongue. Tastes a lot like a candied banana dipped in caramel and mango sauce. It actually also kinda had the taste of your normal pink bubble gum too. After this shocking sweetness, the beer becomes a bit spicy and almost think that I taste some pepper in it. Also, can definitely taste the warm alcohol in this one which is expected given the high ABV. However, don't find this overpowering at all but instead think that it actually adds something to the beer that is a bit necessary to offset the sweetness. A very big beer and pretty good overall the only downside would be that it is kinda sweet.

MF - very sticky in the mouth at first with a low amount of carbonation that comes in later as the flavors and warming character of the alcohol hits the mouth. I think that the mouthfeel matches the character of the flavor and I really like when a beer does that. Also, the higher alcohol flavors leaves the mouth with a warming, numbing character to the mouth.

D - A very good beer on the whole but I definitely could not drink more than one beer. The high alcohol of this one and the super sweetness makes it such that I could never really have more than one of these guys. This is definitely a beer that pushes the limits but it does so in a way that makes it good and not overbearing. Another quality beer from 3F. (2,124 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -0.2%

Makes me think of beer syrup. Such a deep, tawny amber. You can tell the liquid wants to stick to the side of the glass. No head, and cant see any bubbling due to the beers opacity, not the best looking Belgian I've seen. The aroma is thick with heavily caramelized bananas and dates.Sometimes it reminds me of nail polish. You can smell the body of this beer. The taste is an insanely sweet beer. Lots of fruity caraemels malts. Then a soft plum slowly fruit follows towards the finish. Just a potpurri of dark fruits...and alcohol. Although for 15% alcohol, it is integrated very well with the dark fruits. Only one a week for me, if it was more readily available. (666 characters)

Alpha Kong from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.