Gorch Fock - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Munich Helles Lager |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

A light golden colored Franconian style Helles Lager. With a slightly sweet malt body, a noble hop profile and a crisp finish this beer is as traditional as we’ll ever get.

(Beer added by: cretemixer on 04-04-2005)

Gvice13, Sep 08, 2012

K80JOHN, Nov 10, 2012
1.53/5  rDev -58.2%

A- Straw colored, nice fine pure white head.

S- Fruity smelling, is this a lager? Banana, estery, tones throughout. Hot fermentation maybe?

T- Is this supposed to be some weird type of belgian? Estery fruity flavors. Sulfur is evident. Not what I am expecting from a beer labeled as a helles. This tastes like bad homebrew.

M.F.- Dryed out. Clears the palate quickly. Im sorry but the flavors take anything positive away from this beer.

D- I poured the rest of this down the drain. For $9.99 a bottle I would expect something way better.

nicnut45, Dec 12, 2010

ChocolateJesus, Feb 19, 2012

thinwhiteduke, Aug 16, 2012

Shoo65, Jan 12, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

Tastes of over sparging and shitty water. Instant drain pour.

SpasmWaiter, Sep 22, 2014

Kyrojack, Nov 02, 2013
2.63/5  rDev -28.1%

Shared with beachbum1975.

22oz. brown bomber poured into a pint.

A: Light yellow pour. No head or lacing.

S: A bit of oats. Oats? Grainy, a touch of sweetness. No hops. FFF?

T/M: It's a light beer. Or is that lite? There might be a touch of hops in there... lightly floral. Grainy and lightly sweet. I still think of oats. Light body is lowered carbonation.

D: It's light but not good enough to want to drink.

pwoods, Nov 21, 2008
2.75/5  rDev -24.9%

22 ounce bomber split with my buddy Matt, who once again brought back new beers from 3 Floyd's and allowed me to try them with him.

Review written from notes taken Thursday (2 days ago). I believe this is their July seasonal, so this bottle is likely 4 months old, but there's no date on the bottle to either confirm that opinion or get an exact age for the purposes of this review.

Bottle poured into a standard pint glass at Matt's house.

A: Pours a remarkably hazy pale orange color. Carbonation is still visible, despite the yeasty "fog". A thick fluffy white head rises magnificently as the beer pours. Good head retention as well. This is a great looking beer.

S: Muted notes of barley sweetness. Not a lot to be found in the nose. Maybe a bit bready and a touch of toffee to be found, too.

T: Notes of toffee, bread, a touch of yeastiness. Rather mild. Hops are conspicuously absent. Perhaps due to age?

The sweetness here reminds me a bit of an Oktoberfest or Marzen. My buddy just told that this is supposed to be a "German Style" lager, so that makes sense.

M: Heavier than I'd expect from a lager. This probably goes hand-in-hand with the cloudiness. It leaves some stickiness behind on the finish.

D/O: Fun to try, but I feel little need to repeat in the future.

psuKinger, Dec 03, 2011

DonFrap, Jul 21, 2013

Zimm, Aug 01, 2014

Ncpogs, Aug 18, 2014

dwduncan2, Mar 29, 2012
2.78/5  rDev -24%

Thanks to kort27 for this bottle. Poured into a Duvel tulip at fridge temp.

A. A straw colored yellow body with a one finger white head that recedes quickly.Leaves back no lacing.Tons of carbonation.

S. Ok some pine and banana and some sweet grapes.Not much to really write about.

T. Well I get a bitter piney taste.Some spicy notes as well as some fruit probably the banana.I dont know if this is an old bottle or what.

M. Mouth is good medium feel maybe a little on the thin side.There was a good bit of carbonation in this.

Overall Like I said before I don't know if this is a old bottle. But It was just ok nothing special.Wasnt terrible but i would not be seeking this one out again.

Marty30, May 18, 2011
2.8/5  rDev -23.5%

Picked up a bottle while i was in Chicago for Dark Lord Day. Poured into my mini-stein

A: Pours a straw yellow with a thin white head that recedes quickly. Plenty of carbonation

S: Buttery, light malt sweetness, mild earthy hop character. Definitely more butteriness that i like

T: Buttery, light, crisp, mild noble hop flavor. Not really much going on that i can discern

M: This is one category where this beer does well with a nice light feel and pleasant carbonation

D: Why would i want another? I doubt that this style is as poor as this beer is - I'm going to have to look for another

DefenCorps, Jun 05, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -20.8%

Three Floyd's must be good right? Well...

Poured this brew into my Das Boot mug. The color was okay. Resembled a weak wheat beer. Not much of a head to this beer at all. So what does it smell like? Well, honestly I couldn't find much of a smell. I tried agitating this brew...nothing. The taste was okay as well. It just doesn't due Three Floyds justice. I would say its very refreshing and crisp. That being the reason for my 4 on drinkability.

Overall: Three Floyd's is in my opinion the best brewery in the US and possibly the world. This beer, sadly, let me down. Thank god I have a Dark Lord to get my hopes back up! I would say try it for the experience but don't get your hopes up!

iconoklaztor, Oct 16, 2007