Moloko - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

MolokoMoloko

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: tjthresh on 08-23-2005

8.0% ABV, 30 IBUs - This Milk Stout is brewed with a portion of golden naked oats and lactose milk sugar to give it a rounded and full-bodied mouth feel. With a deep roasted and slightly sweet maltiness. August release.
Reviews: 504 | Hads: 1,821

I've had Young's Double Chocolate Stout (C - ) and Bell's Special Double Cream Stout (A) so I have been both disappointed and delighted with the samples tested. Now, this offering from Three Floyds, a 22 ounce bomber purchased for $9.99 at Delock's Liquors in Munster (just a stone's throw from Three Floyds Brewery) is magical from the start--better than even Bell's offering, if that is possible. I don't know much about this style of beer (more an IPA and Wheat beer fanatic) but I love this one from Three Floyds. American-made makes it even better. Appearance is exceptional, as is smell, taste, mouthful and drinkability. I cannot find fault in anything about this beer.. .. Two hours after the initial pour the beer has warmed up considerably and it's even better. So I suggest to pour and then let it sit two or three hours before drinking. It's scrumptious!! (867 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

The pour is right up my alley. It's dark and thick. Pitch black, syrupy only darker, with a nice light brown head up top. Moderate retention and a spotty lace left behind.

The smell is right up there too. Dark roasted malts, a slight char scent, and your nose picks up the lactose milk sugar. You can almost smell the sweet.

I can't think of anything that I'd change. It's sweet and malty up front. The roasted smokiness follows the beer as it crosses the tongue. Slight chocolate taste and some toffee or caramel.

This is top shelf also. Sweet, smokey up front, the faintest bit of bitter in the finish to balance. Extremely creamy and smooth. Not sure how you could make it better.

Overall, it's an amazing beer. It's the easiest drinking beer I can recall. Everything about it is first rate and it's got good alcohol to boot. Easily one of the 5 best beers I've had. (873 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +17.1%

Had this on tap at the brewery...but this review is written from a growler filled from said tap. [Growler was capped on 10.7.05, opened on 10.16.05. It was kept on ice from the time it was capped until it was opened, and showed no signs of deterioration. I have a bit left in the growler, and I have NO worries about it going past its prime before I drink it. :)]

It's a very dark brown- alomost opaque, but with some cola-coloured edging where the light gets through. This is topped by a dark tan head with bubbles at about medium size.

The smell is almost all coconut -but there's a hint of dark malt behind it. It gets good marks, as it's such a unique aroma for beer, but seems oddly hypnotic. This one grabs you from the first inhalation.

Wowsa! The flavour is quite smoky- yet also slightly sour, slightly coconutty, and not TOO roasted. Very nice stuff.

A low tight carbonation reveals a medium liquid. It's just *slightly* oily.

This one gets top marks on drinkability. Fabulous...very complex. It seems there's a new flavour at every sip. I'd really like to see FFF bottle this one. It's sad to know I may never have it again if they don't.

Be well
-UF (1,180 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +17.1%

This is a prime example of the Milk stout. Creamy, malty, thick and Dark. The extra bit of sweetness at the end pairs wonderfully with chocolates and desserts. By the end of the bottle my class had collected streaks of foam the whole way down. A sure sign of proper carbonation. (278 characters)

Wow!

This pours nice and black. Not any head, perhaps from the growler.transfer. A continual ring regenerates itself as it sits. It laces a bit.

Smells sweet. I cheated - looked at the other reviews. I couldn't put my finger on it, but coconut does come to mind now that I see it mentioned.

Taste is very nice. Quite a bit of sweetness, as you would expect, but not too much. I do like sweet-slant beers, though, but this just seems to hit it right in the pocket because there are pine hops and dry hops balancing that out.

Mouthfeel is nice and creamy. Not watery at all.

Finish is very interesting. The creaminess goes down very sweet, and you pick up the bitter pine hop at the end of the finish. There is a hint of dryness too, and it really balances out the drink.

I love this drink. I hope some day I can find it in a bottle so it is more accessable. To the brewers: Job well done.

Update in April 2006: Now that the brewpub has been open for a while, Three floyds has discontinued putting many of their specialty beers in growlers. Please call first if you are expecting to fill a growler, I'd hate for you to make the trip and be disappointed. I still recommend the trip out there, the beers are great, but you will have to do your sampling on site.

Update in 2011: I've found bottles of this stuff in northwest indiana liquor stores. The bottles are just as good as the growler. As I sip, I can't believe it is an 8% brew. Talk about hiding the alcohol! I also noticed some cocoa in the nose, and, mmm - oop, it's gone now! (1,542 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +17.1%

A - This beer poured a deep black color that produced a fluffy tan head that had great retention and laced the side of the glass nicely

S - This beer produced aromas of milk chocolate, subtle coffee notes, and some roasted malts

T - This beer was a great experience for me, I love Stouts, and I really enjoyed this Milk Stout. The taste had milk chocolate, roasted malts, and some coffee notes

M - This beer had a medium to heavy body and a light amount of carbonation

D - This was a very drinkable beer, more of a treat beer for me, and not a sessionable one, but a Stout I would get as much as possible (609 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +16.8%

I also sampled from the same growler, at the same time as Flip and dnrobert below. As per Flip's review, he says it lost nothing from tap to growler.

This was just a fricking unique beer. Very difficult for me to describe. I've never had another beer like it.

Coconut was definitely prominent. Very smooth, kinda... milky. Hint of smoke.

I dunno. Amazing beer, and many thanks to Flip for sharing at our private tasting... (431 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +16.8%

This was a bomber poured into a snifter.

A: 4.0 deep dark with a dark head and decent lacing
S: 5.0 this is what a stout should smell like, nice and chocolately and then dark malt
T: 5.0 very chocolately upfront and then followed by deliciously smooth roasted malts and a very slight hop finish
MF: 4.5 great carbonation, with a sexy, thick body
O: 4.5 great beer and I wish I could give it a 4.75 for overall. This is one of my favorite milk stouts. (451 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +16.3%

Had fresh from the tap at the Brewpub. Poured into a Tulip glass.

A: Very rich dark dark brown in color w/ a mocha colored head, very nice looking stout. Very pleasing to the eye in the tulip.

S: Smells very strongly of coffee, chocolate and heavily roasted malts. You can smell the sweetness in there and I can't get COFFEE out of my mind when smelling this, espresso to be exact. Very high quality smell.

T: One of the best stouts I've ever had on tap. It was very tasty and incredibly complex for me. I got roasted malts, espresso, mocha, milk chocolate, caramel, and a little hint of hoppiness that balanced everything out. Nice sweetness that stays with you after each sip, makes this a delight to drink and would never get old.

M: HAs some carbonation in there, little more so than most milk stouts, but I tend to prefer this. It makes it more drinkable, and for ME it gives it a creamier fuller mouthfeel. Love it, great concept.

Overall I will be drinking this almost religiously when I'm in a mood for a sweet stout, or a stout in general. I have a few 22oz bombers that I will be sampling in the near future when not drinking it fresh on tap. Great offering from FFF. (1,187 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +16.3%

The Three Floyds Moloko Stout was a terrific surprise. This may very well be my favorite all around tasting stout. It has a sugary composition but almost a milkshake finish. I highly reccomend this beer, its a must try!! Leave it to Three Floyds, I have yet to try a beer from them that didn't completely blow me away, and shock me with its flavor. This Moloko Stout is a desert in liquid form. (394 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

Popping the cap releases light coffee, large pitted fruit, prune and dried fruit aromas with a suspicion of bacon. Moloko pours inky black with a thin, tan head. The beer attacks the palate with dark dried fruit (dates and fig), cocoa warped around light coffee beans, grain and grainy spice, and a light sweetness all floating in a big, luscious, creamy texture that is a delight to drink. The flavors are rich, complex, layered and well balanced. (448 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

This is one of my new favorite milk stouts around.

It pours a creamy, silky jet black velvet with a two finger mocha head that fades slowly to leave foamy rings of milky lace.

The smell is of rich belgian chocolate, roasted coffee and earthy, musty undertones. Simple but intense. Dominant milk chocolate with hints of vanilla.

The taste follows the nose with milk chocolate melting and blending into robust roasted coffee notes, brown sugar, oats, and caramel add to a rich, complex flavor. Earthy tones of hops balance things out and a touch of vanilla completes it. Rich, sweet, and roasty like a heavily creamed mocha.

Creamy, milky, silky, smooth, thick and chewy. Absolutely delicious. Awesome example of a milk stout. (730 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a mug.

A: Pours a solid black with a slight cream head that dissipates leaving some lacing.

S: Milk chocolate and creamy malts.

T: Mmm! Milk chocolate through and through. You get a malt milkshake buttery flavour in the back and just a tad of alcohol twinge in the finish.

D: Very drinkable. Its a big beer and it tastes like one, but the flavours are so well blended thats its a joy to drink. Only the ABV will keep you from pounding these.

Overall: This is a great brew. One of my favorite American Imperial stouts. Its delicious through and through. Delightfully complex flavour and an incredible heavy whipping cream mouthfeel. Do not pass this one up. Highly recommended! (713 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +15.1%

Serving type: poured from bottle

A: Nice dark color, coffee black. Good one finger tan head. Good retention

S: Sweet, savory, lactic, slight coffee, freshly ground coffee beans, subtle chocolate, silky, slightly toasty.

T: Beautiful. Lactose, sweet sugar, little chocolate, fresh creme, butterscotch, toffee, caramel, would pair well with caramel truffles.

M: frothy thick body, silky, decadent, creamy, wonderful carbonation for this type,

O: This is an outstanding offering from FFF. Nothing short of amazing. (518 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +15.1%

650ml bottle poured into a Gulden Draak tulip glass.

Appearance- Motor oil black with mocha head that sits about a half fingers worth on the surface. Decent lacing.

Smell. Wow mouth watering. Roasty malt, coffee grounds, and oatmeal.

Taste- Oatmeal, coffee, chocolate and some bitter hops that give a perfect stout balance.

Mouthfeel- So silky and smooth like drinking an ice coffee with a chocolate milk mouthfeel.

Overall- This is world class. Definitely my favorite milk stout. The burnt coffee, chocolate, oatmeal and bitter hops work so well then add in the silky mouthfeel and it's so damn drinkable. I'm already a bit sad that this is only a seasonal and the place I bought it only had this one. (707 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +15.1%

This was my first milk stout and let me say I will be back to get more when I'm in Indiana this summer. Holy crap that stuff is amazing!

Poured into a Duvel glass this beer is like liquid chocolate milk from word one. The velvety pour cascades as the head forms (tan) and the body is the color of about 60% Cocao.

The aroma is amazingly like milk chocolate. There is a sweetness in the nose and smells that remind me of fresh whole chocolate milk. There might be a bit of coffee on the back end but the chocolate is all you can say with definity.

The taste is sweet but balanced with a velvety smooth finish that brings the flavors of cocao, coffee, and vanila together in one amazing flavor. The taste is long and big.

I now know what perfect stout mouthfeel is like. This is like drinking chocolate velvet. This has the smoothness of Dove chocolate. Amazingly rich.

Is it possible that this beer is 7 percent? There is no way! There is absolutely no alcohol in the nose or the taste. The flavors are what are prevelant here. Absolutely amazing. Best thing I've had from FFF. Next on the list - Dark Lord! (1,112 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

22oz bomber poured into a tulip.
Pours dark coffee color.
You can smell the chocolate and lactos. There is a touch of coffee.
Tasty creamy chocolate milk. A creamy mouth feel. Really good Milk stout. No over pronunciation of the lactos. Smooth, creamy easy drink.

This was so good I don't know if I'd want to share. I love sharing good beers but this is one I don't want to tell anyone I have so I can enjoy the entire bottle. Mmmm.... Good work 3 f's. (453 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This pours a coffee black in color with a velvety consistency and a cocoa-creamy head.

There’s a roasty note under the lactic-tartness, with a full milk-chocolate character. I get an amped up lactic tartness atop a milk chocolaty sweetness. This is an intense and sweet milk stout, one for sipping and sharing. (313 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +14.1%

Month three of the Three Floyd’s seasonal sampling; thanks to Kahn’s in Indianapolis, I was able to get this beer on the first of the month instead of the twenty-first! And let me tell you, I’m glad to be drinking this one. A big, sexy stout from Three Floyd’s? Yes please. Most of the beers I’ve had from them have been awesomely hoppy (which I love), but it’s good to see some darkness from them. Anyway, I rushed home and opened it, and this was my experience:

A: An equally appropriate name for this one would be “Black Beauty.” It’s a gorgeously dark brew that, surprisingly, still has a luster to it. It’s black like a freshly-shined Italian leather shoe, not like motor oil; that may be because it’s actually a really dark brown, which is apparent via the reddish hues where the light shines through the bottom of my glass. The head is a thing of beauty, too, with the color of light, untreated wood and a thick bubbliness that can’t be overlooked. The suds last for minutes at a time, and leave attractive lacing. A look like this gives the impression that the boys from Munster have thrown down the milk stout gauntlet with this creation.

S: What a delightful roasted character! Coffee, of course, is one of the biggest scents, and dark, woody alcohol makes its point alongside it. Hops are fresh and floral, aromas that add a desirable contrast to the forward roasts. Slight sugars at the end remind me of chocolate-flavored Tootsie Pops, which brings back fond memories, indeed. This nose is excellent.

T: The first thing I notice is a breathlessly light sweetness; if you can imagine biting into a bakery-fresh cream puff, that's it. The malted oats and lactose milk sugar pay dividends to palate, as they push the taste towards sugary nirvana. It’s incredible. The hops are soon to arrive, delivering just enough pop to keep this beer from getting too thick. Overall, the flavors are pretty mellow, making it easy for them to balance. The aftertaste is mild as well, keeping tastes of roasted malts and hops alive for just a few moments. Though the palate is not very intricate, it serves to make this beer unbelievably quaffable.

M: This is by far the highlight of this brew. It has a silkiness on the tongue that is unrivaled by any other beer I’ve had – ever. It’s smooth as velvet, perpetuated by a weightlessness that I can’t even explain. It’s phenomenal.

O: What an impressive stout! Now I know why Three Floyd’s has an entire day dedicated to their biggest, darkest beers. This has been the best monthly release I’ve had yet from Three Floyd’s, and it’s hard to think of it being bested anytime soon. And the funny thing is, it’s the cheapest of them all! Only $7.99 for a bomber! At a price like that, I’ll be drinking this by the gallon if I can get my hands on enough of it. (2,851 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass. No dating info but this is an August release according to the website and is the 2010 version. It was pitch black in color. It had a thin cocoa head that settled into a very thin collar. Almost no lacing and none sticking.

The aroma was very good and featured roasted malt, milk chocolate, slight coffee and lactose. Enjoyed sniffing this one over and over. The flavor was outstanding. Great mix of sweet (but not too sweet) chocolate and lactose with slight bitter and sour from the coffee. Dangerously drinkable at 8% ABV. Mouthfeel was full and creamy with good carb levels. Great aftertaste.

Overall, an excellent beer that I highly recommend. One of the best in the style for me. Can't wait to try again next year closer to the release date and on-tap after I move to Indy. Not avail here in TX so shipped back from Indy. Rotation - if avail near me this would be in the regular rotation while in season. [R;Y] (963 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Huge thanks to IrishHockey for this brew. Poured into a snifter. No freshness date.

A- Pours a densely opaque black color with a 3/4 inch dark tan head that has good retention before reducing to a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a large, bubbly patch of surface foam. Thin but resilient lacing leaves a solid ring around the glass.

S- Lots of coffee and milk chocolate in the nose that's in the middle of the spectrum as far as roast goes. Faint alcohol aroma shows itself after some short, sharp sniffs.

T- Luscious milk chocolate and smooth dark roast character. Caramel and burnt sugar come to mind. The flavors are straightforward and blend perfectly. Light note of coffee.

M- The complexity comes in with the creamy mouthfeel that's bold and stands up with the robust body. Slick and not overly chewy

O- Just as outstanding as I was expecting. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to watch A Clockwork Orange to celebrate cuz that's how I do. (965 characters)

Reviewed: August 5th, 2011

Vintage: 2011

Serving Type: 22 oz bomber poured into a sniffer.

A: Pours the color of a dark Americano (coffee) with walnut colored foamy head. Head rentention is strong.

S: Roasted cocoa and other roasted malts (barely?). This is quickly followed by a sweet sugary lactose aroma.

T: Roasted malts and a nutty flavor that I did not detect in the aroma. Sweet lactose finishes off this taste! Love it!

M: So silky smooth! Not surprising that the texture reminds me of chocolate milk.

O: Great example of the style! I am so glad I have another bottle in the fridge to consume! Would love to get this year-round! If you see it...buy it! (667 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +13.4%

A- Pours thick and black as night. About a 1.5 finger chocolate brown head. Decent retention and good lacing. Slight hints of brown hues creep in on the edges with some light.

S- Sweet chocolate flavors dominate the nose. Slight hints of coffee roasts. Also hints of lactose sweetness mixed in with the chocolate.

T- Chocolate and coffee blend seamlessly into an almost decadently sweet, yet slightly bitter stout flavor. Darker flavors like anise and even some slight brown sugar hints also peak through.

M- Slightly overcarbonated and a tad bit thin. Really, the heavy and sweet flavor profile disguise the thin texture fairly well. Little to no alcohol heat. Quite creamy and smooth.

Overall, this is a stout from Three Floyds that gets me excited to eventually try dark lord. Pretty darn good. This is what milk/sweet stouts should model themselves after. (863 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +13.2%

The best beer I have had from 3 floyds so far, have tried robert the bruce, alpha king, and gumball head all just ok. AAah but this for 8 bucks a 24 oz bottle (casanovas hudson wi) pretty steep for someone trying to retire in a few years, a real splurge. This beer was extremely tasty, a real fine sipper, so the 8 bucks was not a total waste like some of the other 3 floyds fare. if cheaper I would definately stock up. No head, yet bubbles are present and emerge in your mouth. Hard to describe, like liquid candy maybe , thick, sweet, dark, complex, caramel, but not syrupy. Smells like bailys irish creme, maybe good quality freshly roasted coffee in as well. Its alcohol content is about half hidden. Drink half a bottle and your head will know. When I get to the bottom of the bottle I will only have pleasant memories of this a fine strong flavorful milk stout. (868 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +12.7%

Vision
Inky darkness with a coffee colored foam that lasts exactly like it should. Not much carbonation viewed from the top. Not much lacing around the sides.

Bouquet
The smell goes through an evolution. From the initial pour there is a heavy presence of burnt grains, toffee, faint coffee grounds, and faint ethanol. I could smell a little bready malts as well.

After the fantastic head had settles to a skin and collar there are new molecules. Dark chocolate comes through strongly now with more coffee notes. It was like the main character died in mid-play and a new actor roamed forward. Truly awesome.

Flavor Profile
I actually feel like I taste chocolate milk. The burnt grains peek up but quickly run off into the murky depths to allow others to step forward. The next is milk chocolate that blends nicely with coffee.

As the finish comes about the coffee comes forward and exudes a smoky screen of defense. The campfire flavor quickly breezes away and reveals that it is actually doctored up coffee. It has been modified with dark chocolate to be mocha. The finish lingers delightfully on the back of my tongue.

Oral Sensations
It is the epitome of milk. It has that strong body that only milk truly owns. The way in which it swirls in my mouth and flows down is perfect. I have the gentle caresses of the smooth liquid roll through and make me just gush that this is pure liquid velvet.

Conclusions
This is that beer that as soon as you drink it, you realize you should have bought more. You realize you traded this and should have kept more for yourself. This beer is fantastic. I would drink this all night long. At seven percent, I just might. (1,664 characters)

Moloko from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.