Moloko - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

MolokoMoloko

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: tjthresh on 08-23-2005

8.0% ABV, 30 IBUs - This Milk Stout is brewed with a portion of golden naked oats and lactose milk sugar to give it a rounded and full-bodied mouth feel. With a deep roasted and slightly sweet maltiness. August release.

1.25/5  rDev -69.7%

2.06/5  rDev -50.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A: Pours a pitch black body with very minimal brown head. No lacing to speak of.

S: Smells a bit like burnt tar or leather. No sweetness detected, but perhaps some burnt coffee beans? Not what I would expect from a milk stout and not too excited to try it.

T: I would never guess this was a milk stout. I never knew what people were talking about when they said something tasted like leather, tar, or tobacco until I had this brew. Strong burnt flavors over power anything else. Definitely a drain pourer and I guess a bad bottle. No detectable flavors of lactose, vanilla, or anything else people described.

M: Thin body; low carbonation; watery texture.

O: I was really looking forward to having this, but it would take a lot for me to try this again. I ended up giving my glass to my husband who just ended up pouring it out. Does not taste, smell, or feel like a milk stout in any way. Very disappointed.

2.27/5  rDev -45%

Poured from bomber to pint glass.

A: Pours jet black, absolutely no head. A little bit off the bat with a vigorous pour, but leaves just fast with evidence of even being there.

S: Bitter coffee and mocha. Slight bitter chocolates and roasted malts. Nothing really else pops out at me.

T: Feels very watered down. The flavors of coffee take a backseat to nothing unfortunately. It's not terrible, but nothing bring me back wanting more. I wish this came in a 12 oz. because I hate drain pouring, but this guy is not something I'd want to have again.

M: Medium/heavy bodied. Medium carbonation. Smooth, but falls flat on the palate and doesn't really leave anything worth mentioning.

O: I'm going to hope that this is just a freshness issue and not a beer issue because I love Three Floyd's and this really fell short. I'm looking forward to trying this guy on tap or when I know it should be fresh.

2.65/5  rDev -35.8%

Bottle date: unknown.

A: Dark brown ale with low translucency. A whim of a head forms and falls to a weak central cap of mocha colored foam. No lacing. Should have a little head and some sticky lacing.

S: lactos, resiny hops, slight sweetness (very hidden). Stone fruit.

T: Bitter, resiny hops. Not much going on here. Not sweet at all, metallic hints. Burnt. Maybe even a little sour.

M: Full bodied with medium to lo carb. Faintly dry finish, hits the head here.

O: Not impressive whatsoever. Not a drain pour, but not worth having twice.

2.75/5  rDev -33.4%

2.83/5  rDev -31.5%

A slow tall pour gives a nice pillowy mocha colored head, but left unattended for a mere 30 seconds im left with a fairly uneventful almost watery looking brew in my glass. The initial appearance is ebough to chalk up a few points though.
Fairly mediocre amount of excitement on the nose, with a bit of milk chocolate and lactose. Again, not bad, just not very exciting.
A few sips into this im really just not feeling it very much. Although i know milk stouts are generally on the lighter side body wise compared to their big brothers, this one just seems too light, its kind of boring. The only thing that gives it much life is the bit of bitterness left on the tongue after each sip. Watery is the adjective that comes to mind when thinking about the overall body and mouthfeel. Compared to some other great milk stouts, im a rather let down by this one.

2.97/5  rDev -28.1%

This is a first for me; this is really the first Three Floyd's beer that I would characterize as disappointing. Mouthfeel was troubling...it seemed almost greasy or oily in my mouth, and the flavor seemed a dichotomy...like a mix of too-sweet sweetness and some nice milky creamy flavor.

It poured black with not very much off-white head. Aroma was intensely roasty and definitely predicted the sweetness that I described above in the flavor. Mouthfeel was a bit strange.

OK...I found this beer interesting, but compared to my first experiences with Gumallhead, Alpha King, and Dreadnought, which were downright eurphoric...well let's just say it wasn't the same.

I bought this 22oz bottle at Big Red Liquor in Bloomington, IN.

Moloko from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.