1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Moloko - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

MolokoMoloko

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

8.0% ABV, 30 IBUs - This Milk Stout is brewed with a portion of golden naked oats and lactose milk sugar to give it a rounded and full-bodied mouth feel. With a deep roasted and slightly sweet maltiness. August release.

(Beer added by: tjthresh on 08-23-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,338 | Reviews: 481 | Show All Ratings:
BrewCrew2010

Mississippi

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A: Pours a pitch black body with very minimal brown head. No lacing to speak of.

S: Smells a bit like burnt tar or leather. No sweetness detected, but perhaps some burnt coffee beans? Not what I would expect from a milk stout and not too excited to try it.

T: I would never guess this was a milk stout. I never knew what people were talking about when they said something tasted like leather, tar, or tobacco until I had this brew. Strong burnt flavors over power anything else. Definitely a drain pourer and I guess a bad bottle. No detectable flavors of lactose, vanilla, or anything else people described.

M: Thin body; low carbonation; watery texture.

O: I was really looking forward to having this, but it would take a lot for me to try this again. I ended up giving my glass to my husband who just ended up pouring it out. Does not taste, smell, or feel like a milk stout in any way. Very disappointed.

12-05-2011 02:38:24 | More by BrewCrew2010
Treebs

2.23/5  rDev -46.1%

Poured from bomber to pint glass.

A: Pours jet black, absolutely no head. A little bit off the bat with a vigorous pour, but leaves just fast with evidence of even being there.

S: Bitter coffee and mocha. Slight bitter chocolates and roasted malts. Nothing really else pops out at me.

T: Feels very watered down. The flavors of coffee take a backseat to nothing unfortunately. It's not terrible, but nothing bring me back wanting more. I wish this came in a 12 oz. because I hate drain pouring, but this guy is not something I'd want to have again.

M: Medium/heavy bodied. Medium carbonation. Smooth, but falls flat on the palate and doesn't really leave anything worth mentioning.

O: I'm going to hope that this is just a freshness issue and not a beer issue because I love Three Floyd's and this really fell short. I'm looking forward to trying this guy on tap or when I know it should be fresh.

05-30-2011 23:52:39 | More by Treebs
harrymel

Washington

2.6/5  rDev -37.2%

Bottle date: unknown.

A: Dark brown ale with low translucency. A whim of a head forms and falls to a weak central cap of mocha colored foam. No lacing. Should have a little head and some sticky lacing.

S: lactos, resiny hops, slight sweetness (very hidden). Stone fruit.

T: Bitter, resiny hops. Not much going on here. Not sweet at all, metallic hints. Burnt. Maybe even a little sour.

M: Full bodied with medium to lo carb. Faintly dry finish, hits the head here.

O: Not impressive whatsoever. Not a drain pour, but not worth having twice.

05-23-2011 17:16:13 | More by harrymel
Kkottonmouthkngz

2.85/5  rDev -31.2%

A slow tall pour gives a nice pillowy mocha colored head, but left unattended for a mere 30 seconds im left with a fairly uneventful almost watery looking brew in my glass. The initial appearance is ebough to chalk up a few points though.
Fairly mediocre amount of excitement on the nose, with a bit of milk chocolate and lactose. Again, not bad, just not very exciting.
A few sips into this im really just not feeling it very much. Although i know milk stouts are generally on the lighter side body wise compared to their big brothers, this one just seems too light, its kind of boring. The only thing that gives it much life is the bit of bitterness left on the tongue after each sip. Watery is the adjective that comes to mind when thinking about the overall body and mouthfeel. Compared to some other great milk stouts, im a rather let down by this one.

04-28-2011 18:09:59 | More by Kkottonmouthkngz
BeerBelcher

2.9/5  rDev -30%

This is a first for me; this is really the first Three Floyd's beer that I would characterize as disappointing. Mouthfeel was troubling...it seemed almost greasy or oily in my mouth, and the flavor seemed a dichotomy...like a mix of too-sweet sweetness and some nice milky creamy flavor.

It poured black with not very much off-white head. Aroma was intensely roasty and definitely predicted the sweetness that I described above in the flavor. Mouthfeel was a bit strange.

OK...I found this beer interesting, but compared to my first experiences with Gumallhead, Alpha King, and Dreadnought, which were downright eurphoric...well let's just say it wasn't the same.

I bought this 22oz bottle at Big Red Liquor in Bloomington, IN.

12-12-2008 22:22:16 | More by BeerBelcher
bgreg3

Indiana

2.93/5  rDev -29.2%

App - So black no light can penetrate it anywhere on the glass. There is a little foam head on the top of this beer, dark brown. It's gone in a jiffy though, leaving just a trace around the glass.

Smell - Smells like sweet sugar and caramel, followed by roasted coffee and chocolate. Hints of vanilla linger in the back.

Taste - Sweet malts and sugars come first and then get moved almost immediately by coffee taste. Then it seems like some chocolate and hops dominate the finish hints of vanilla. Drink this one in saller sips, otherwise the booziness comes through. 3F's usually hides the alcohol better, a rare miss for me from them.

MF - Pretty medium, nothing good and nothing bad. Oh wait, slight creaminess is good.

Drinkability - Give this one awhile, it's a sipper to me. Not all that drinkable, very wet sticky finish.

08-30-2009 02:34:54 | More by bgreg3
illidurit

3.13/5  rDev -24.4%

Bottle courtesy photomike. Pours deep coffee brown with a thin tan head. Chocolatey and fruity aroma, maybe cherries and also a certain nuttiness. Flavor is similar with chocolate, light roast, a little acidity, marshmallows, milk. Mouthfeel is a little too milky and weird, body is a little thin for the abv. Messy, incohesive, but not offensive.

12-07-2009 02:07:48 | More by illidurit
mntlover

Tennessee

3.15/5  rDev -23.9%

Thanks to merlin48 for sampling this one with me.

Pours a deep black with a brown head that falls to a ring not much lace.

Aroma is spot on for the style sweet roasted malts, milk chocolate, light coffee notes. Plenty of lactose sweetness in the nose, nice.

Taste is weird first thing I notice is prickly carbonation, not a plus for this style. roasted malts some chocolate and lactose notes. Flavor is good but whole thing for me is ruined by the mouthfeel, every sip I take its just to fizzy for a stout.

Mouthfeel is medium but carbonation is too much for the style and a distraction.

Overall this one is a big disappointment for me considering FFF brews are usually superior.

08-02-2011 00:29:58 | More by mntlover
CuriousMonk

3.18/5  rDev -23.2%

Poured from a bomber (no date) into a dimpled glass mug. Pours a super dark brown that appears black with a thin layer of head that fizzled immediately to almost nothing. Aroma had a roasteded malt, golden oats, chocolate, lactic sweetness, and a bit of hazelnut. Flavor had a nice roasted malt base, golden oats, milk chocolate, mild coffee, tons of lactic, and light bitterness to it. There was a quite a dose of milkiness, but it seems light on the texture. Mouthfeel is light and silky and the carbonation on the low side. Might had tasted better fresh, perhaps? It had nice flavors and a good example of style, but was too overpowered with that lactose milk sugar for me. I cannot stand beer with too much of that stuff.

02-16-2011 14:34:52 | More by CuriousMonk
KYGunner

Kentucky

3.18/5  rDev -23.2%

Poured with a two finger thin and bubbly head. It looked quite syrupy going into the pint and displays a tar black color. The smell is of faint milk chocolate with very little burnt aroma. The mouth feel is thin and almost watery. I hope that I got a bad bottle because the taste is unremarkable. Almost acidic or metallic in taste I get a sweet aftertaste but that seems to be all. I've enjoyed all other Three Floyd's offerings but this seems to fail on my palate.

10-05-2012 21:31:11 | More by KYGunner
Phelps

Arizona

3.18/5  rDev -23.2%

Another brew sent by Cuzco as part of the Blind Beers BIF, this was poured into my Lost Abbey stemware.

Inky black, a starless night. The head is thin, light tan, and fizzy. It's gone within seconds.

Hmm. Soft smoke and a bunch of teriyaki. Big handfuls of anise, a bit of sweet cocoa.

The flavor pretty well mirrors the aroma. Anise and soy are here up front, along with a little dark chocolate and tangy prunes. The swallow brings sweet milk, cocoa and smoke. Lingering notes of smoky meat.

Body is medium-light, with moderate carbonation. Breaks into fizz as it moves about. Just a touch of alcohol heat.

This has been a want for a while. Glad I got the chance to try it without bias.

11-22-2012 19:26:03 | More by Phelps
DarthKostrizer

3.2/5  rDev -22.7%

Look: Black and totally opaque with a 1/2 inch dark tan head and ok retention with some spotty lacing

Smell: Touch of lactose sweetness some roasted malt and a bit of alcohol

Taste: Your are greeted by a touch of alcohol backed up by some lactose sweetness the back end carries some roasted malt, licorice and chocolate

Mouthfeel: Medium body and mild carbonation and a bit silky

Overall: I honestly am not impressed with this beer. I found the flavor profile a bit muddled and sweet to the point that it was a more distracting than it was good. I am however glad I got the chance to try this beer but I will not seek it out again

01-02-2012 05:37:09 | More by DarthKostrizer
HoboAGoGo

Indiana

3.25/5  rDev -21.5%

Poured black, could see some red around the edges, and had a thick tan head that laced the entire way down the glass. Smelled of vanilla, my un beery friend said it smelled like a fruit rollup. Taste was of roasty malts, some coffee and I thought, an intense vanilla. The sweetness was intense in this brew, and made me a little sick to my stomach. As good as I thought it was, I do not know if I can ever have another one again.

11-12-2005 08:39:49 | More by HoboAGoGo
dancinwillie

Wisconsin

3.25/5  rDev -21.5%

Pours effervescent and black, crowned with a full mousse-like brown head. The foam drops quickly, and noisily as well.

Sweetened and creamed coffee in the nose. Abundant roasted scents.

Milk chocolate is the first flavor I notice. Followed quickly by dark chocolate, roasted coffee, some faint citrus hop brightness. There seems to be some malted milk ball flavor that's really nice. Not bad at all. I don't notice any of the 7% alcohol. Roasted flavor and malted milk ball flavor come forward as it warms. More hop flavor would surely be a plus.

Full and silky. Not over carbonated, but still has that pop to it.

If I ever see it on tap, I may give it another go 'round. Other than that, it was nice to try, good to drink, but I'll probably not get it again in the future. Although on second thought, I'll more than likely get next years release just out of curiosity. Overall impression: good, but not great.

12-24-2008 01:27:25 | More by dancinwillie
bristol2120

3.25/5  rDev -21.5%

Served from a 22 oz. bomber bottle. Pours an opaque coffee brown with a moderate head that quickly becomes a thin cocoa colored layer of foam. Aroma conveys deep chocolate and coffee notes, but they are subdued by a prevailing sense of milky smoothness. Taste features a smooth, milky coffee sensation, but it is overpowered by a predominating alcohol presence: it does take away from the overall character of the beer. Mouthfeel is nice and round, but again, it is a bit overwhelmed by the alcohol presence of this beer. Drinkability is also diminished by the overpowering alcohol presence.

11-28-2009 06:28:51 | More by bristol2120
oakbluff

Manitoba (Canada)

3.28/5  rDev -20.8%

Bomber- appearance dark cola, thin chocolate milk head. Nose- black licorice, vanilla, stale coffee, bakers chocolate. Taste- very sweet- milk chocolate, brownies, light roast. More one dimensional then the nose let on. Body is not that heavy and has robust carbonation. Not picking up much booze heat, fairly easy drinking although the flavour profile does get tiring.

01-09-2011 20:55:14 | More by oakbluff
Vierenner

3.28/5  rDev -20.8%

This beer made it to my want list ... probably from searches for sweet beers lacking hop bitterness. It certainly fit those requirements. I taste a simple sweetness which I actually don't care for ... it's like sugar cubes were diluted into the beer prior to bottling. I also taste a roasted flavor, but that's about it. I was expecting some other flavors sneaking in to provide some complexity ... nope ... too bad.

08-27-2011 00:44:03 | More by Vierenner
Slynger

3.3/5  rDev -20.3%

Moloko pours a jet black with a cap of lightly creamy light mocha color.

Aroma is creamy, dark chocolaty, and darkly roasted.

Flavor brings about the same stuff, but in different rankings. The most prominent feature is the tart cream. Chocolate and unsweetened cocoa combine with a light amount of darkly roasted malts with hints of coffee to fill in the rest.

It is extremely smooth and creamy, feel is very nice.

Not one of my favorites from tripFloyds. A bit too much of a tart cream flavor. A big subtraction to some otherwise nice qualities.

11-09-2008 02:10:07 | More by Slynger
Alieniloquium

3.3/5  rDev -20.3%

650 mL bottle with no bottle date *shakes fist at FFF*. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Black with transparency at the edges. No real head. Collar and an island of foam meandering about.

Smell - Buckets of lactose. Chocolate roasted malt. Just a touch of hop. Way too much lactose.

Taste - Lactose and lots of chocolate. Then more lactose. It's all lactose. A touch of bitter roast in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Really sweet. Not boozy. Not bitter. A little overcarbonated.

Overall - I don't love lactose stouts and this is way over the top. Too much carbonation too.

11-22-2012 16:34:53 | More by Alieniloquium
drumenigma

3.33/5  rDev -19.6%

Myself and the gf grabbed a few bottles of this after the recent DL day. I was pretty excited to break in to it as I love sweet stouts. I have to say though I was a little disappointed with his brew in a few aspects. The color was a solid dark brown/black with no light penetration. The smell gives off a sweet molasses smell with some chocolate and coffee notes. The taste is a little dryer than I expected. I thought it would be a little smoother than what it was. There are other milk stouts I would probably order over this but it is definitely drinkable.

04-27-2010 00:09:07 | More by drumenigma
charlesw

3.38/5  rDev -18.4%

Nice and dark. Tiny head for the first few pours so I went crazy trying to get a decent head. It worked. With effort I got it all of the way up to an inch. Tight brown bubbles that stick around.

Smells thin and metallic.

Tastes a little thin and metallic. On first taste I was happy that it didn't have that sourness to it that so many do. On reconsideration, it does have that sourness.

The body, flavor and sweetness are all too light for this to be truly great. It's not bad.

04-28-2009 22:44:32 | More by charlesw
mentaltraveller

3.38/5  rDev -18.4%

22 oz bomber. This beer pours dark and displays little head. Smells of alcohol, lactose. Taste is sweet, nutty and has some Irish-like maltiness. It has a decent mouthfeel; smooth and easy. The finish is clean for a stout. Overall this beer is decent.

08-10-2011 07:32:30 | More by mentaltraveller
Jeffo

Netherlands

3.4/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Got this at part of the big FFF hookup with thomashardy. I know this trade didn't go as quickly as hoped, so thanks for your patience mate, and thanks for the awesome trade.

From a bomber into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: A black pour makes a one finger, medium-thin, fizzy, noisy, light brown head that quickly vanishes. Poor retention and overly noisy. Black body and some carbonation decorates the wisp at the top. Head quickly fades to a ring and splotchy wisp. By the end, however, it looks totally flat and leaves no lacing down the glass. Decent body, but the head is lousy.

SMELL: Roasted malt, some oats are very apparent, and touches of milk chocolate. Some lactose milk sugar and vanilla, or perhaps sweet cream, are in there as well. Medium strength nose and quite nice.

TASTE: Roasted malts, oats again, and a good dose of milk chocolate and cream. A touch of dark fruits, like dates and prunes, and perhaps a bit of port in there as well. Aftertaste is mild and relatively short lived with some milk chocolate, port, and a touch of lactose sugar. Oats linger nicely.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Not overly creamy or smooth, but fine. Goes down fine and finishes slightly sticky on the palate.

OVERALL: A slightly above average milk stout, and doesn't hold a candle to Surly FOUR, for example. That said, I enjoyed the brew and would gladly have it gain, mostly because I love the imperial milk stout style. The look was the only thing that wasn't up to par, but we don't drink the look, do we? Good beer, and I was really glad to finally try this one. Thanks again thomashardy for the awesome trade!

02-14-2011 14:46:34 | More by Jeffo
brewdlyhooked13

3.43/5  rDev -17.1%

Appearance - pours like a dark cola, sets up even darker, with no light getting through. A brief cover of dark mocha looks good but doesn't last long. Holds a thin collar and puts up a few stray dots of lace.

Aroma - syrupy chocolate, a mild roasted grain, and some chocolate milk powder. Diminishes quickly but holds the chocolate aroma well.

Taste - even opening of grain, lightly roasted, sweetness, and diluted chocolate. The swallow shows a little more roast than at the beginning, and the dark chocolate flavors are more expressive. A faint touch of bitterness or char, nor really sure which. A nice little balancing bit there. Finishes with a touch of molasses maybe, something sweet and a touch vinous.

Mouthfeel - thinner than I'd hoped, and the bubbly carbonation pulls this to the lighter, crisper side more than I'd prefer.

Drinkability - the abv is totally hidden. I could drink another bomber without much problem, but I think I'd tend to seek a milk stout with a creamier, fuller body.

12-12-2008 05:03:20 | More by brewdlyhooked13
Drazzamatazz

Maine

3.43/5  rDev -17.1%

A: Dark black as expected, but little to no head even with a downward pour. Some lacing from the ring of head around the beer.

S: Cocoa powder, chocolate milk, molasses and brown sugar. Sweet yet slightly sour in a fruity sort of way. Vague mineral notes.

T: Definite lactose presence, nice toasted malts, some expected chocolate hues. Again though, a presence of mineral tones with a twang of sourness in the finish. Hops may be any variety or any amount, but you don't notice them at all here.

M: Really sticky but a lot thinner than I was hoping, medium body at best. Carbonation is hidden at first then becomes noticeable.

D: The aroma didn't do much for me in this case, and while the flavor was enjoyable it wasn't as complex as I like my stouts. Alcohol is noticeably present in the finish as well, which I found strange since this has been sitting in my cellar for a few months already. I definitely enjoyed it for what it is, an easy drinking stout, but probably wouldn't go out of my way to get some again.

06-06-2010 22:44:26 | More by Drazzamatazz