Broo Doo - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Broo DooBroo Doo

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-19-2006

This beer is brewed during the hop harvest with a portion of unkilned or “wet” hops fresh off the vine. Apricot in color, Broo Doo’s nose has dominant orange, pine sap and floral notes, balanced by a glazed nut and toffee malt body. This celebration of the hop harvest has intense tropical fruit, citrus and spicy accents that showcase the complexity of the hops we all love.

Reviews: 437 | Hads: 1,660

Serving Type: 22oz. bottle, current release

A-light red orange, turning leaves, apricot sounds good too

S-As the bottle says fresh green "wet" hops picked right from the vine

T-Great fresh wet hop profile, lots of orange and piney notes up front with a nice malt backbone perfect for autumn

M-Exceptional mouthfeel extreme drinkability

O-Definitely the best wet hop harvest ale I have ever had and will definitely be getting a couple more this month highly recommmended to hop heads and 3 floyds fans alike (511 characters)

Yes, Three Floyds makes awesome hoppy beers and this is no exception. This is a classic west coast IPA with all the citrus fruit you would expect both in the nose and taste. Tons of hops. Has that solid body that makes it viscous in the glass, almost thick if you could describe beer that way. Lots of lacing. Just a little malt there to keep it from being too rough.

Pours cloudy orange - you can tell right away what's coming. And at 7% it's not that strong, problem is it's $8 a bottle..

I'll admit this is my favorite style, and this is one of the best examples. I put it up there with Pliny, Sculpin, Alesmith IPA. (622 characters)

This beer is amazingly complex with layer upon layer of that delicious hoppy taste and It seems to cling on forever. It seems to swirl between that citrus taste to almost mint and even at times it tastes so fresh that it tastes nearly soapy in a sense. all at the same time it doesn't get too dry or give you that extra syrup taste in your mouth.

smells very hoppy

mouth feel is light

appears mid-orange

one of the best beers that ive had in a while! (458 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +17.3%

Just picked up fresh at 101 bottles in Kent. Good to have THree Floyds back in Ohio!

Appearance - Almost four fingers of head on the pour. THe head is whipped and a bit clumped at the top, but laces to the glass in a soapy fashion. A bit of a musty sunrise orange color to this harvest IPA. I love this bottle art. Trolls, unicorns, princesses and plenty of rainbows! What more could you ask for?

Smell - Wow. Extraordinarily fresh hops are noticeable as soon as the cap is popped off. Plenty of citrus and lemon zest in the nose as well. Fruity overall. Just a great smelling swarm of hops. If a rainbow could give off a scent, I'd imagine it would smell a lot like this.

Taste - This here is an extremely unique beer. Smooth light malt at first, and then a light bite of fresh and delicious hops. Consistent fruit and citrus throughout. A light burn of tingling alcohol and hops in the aftertaste. This beer is so unique that my description really can't do it any justice. You just have to try it for yourself. The taste on this is blowing me away with its uniqueness.

Mouthfeel and Overall - Light to medium bodied. This beer gives me a sort of numbing tingle that makes me feel like I'm drinking something illegal. Perhaps even something experimental. It's good, though. Real good. Hoppy, citrusy, fresh and delicious. I will definitely buy this again. (1,361 characters)

Three Floyds Broo Doo

Appearance: Three Floyds take on the fresh, “wet” hop style pale ale pours a golden, yellow with hues of orange with soapsuds-like head amounting to nearly two fingers. This inevitably slides down the glass revealing an already impressive lacing and coalesces into a thick, white crust. There is a visible moderate carbonation, but nothing out of the ordinary. Really the only gripe to be had here is the color, which is just slightly lighter than may be desirable in a pale ale. Hopefully this is not indicative of a thin malt body.

Aroma: Pine notes are everywhere in this beer, as are pineapples, peaches, and oranges. Honestly, this beer smells like opening up a pack of Starburst, without all the suggestions of artificial flavors. Based on the style, this incredibly fruity opening is not at all surprising; this is very clearly a spotlight for the hops to steal. Still, that does not mean that the malt does not make an appearance; indeed, it is there in a caramel, sweet capacity, suggesting that the light color was a red herring. This beer smells excellent; it is a real bouquet of bombastic hop flavor followed by a moderate malt backbone.

Taste: How does Three Floyds do it? Oranges, tangerines, and peaches smack the tongue immediately, but not in an overly bitter way. These flavors are followed quickly by and mingle with pine and pineapples, creating a fruit cocktail of hop flavor throughout the mouth. Next in this tropical conga line of flavor is the sweet malt that simply exists to give balance to the beer and make it more palatable. Finally, lemons, lemon curd, and rindy, citrus bitterness lend a dryness to the finish. Fantastic.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is medium, as alluded to in the appearance, but there is a definite creaminess and thickness to the body. Furthermore, possibly due to the “wet” hops, the mouthfeel is incredibly sticky in an awesome way. The hops also impart an acceptable astringency throughout the mouth, which really makes itself known in the dry aftertaste. As has been mentioned in reviews of Hopslam and Double Trouble, this astringency forces the drinker to continue imbibing this excellent elixir, which is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

Overall: This is one of the finest beers that have ever passed these lips. This is my first experience with the “wet” hop style of pale ales, and I feel that this example will be extremely hard to top. As a result of this excellent beer, I will actively seek out other examples of this style. My only regret is that I purchased only one of these amazing brews during my recent trip to FFF. The wait until this beer makes its way to Wisconsin will be agonizing. 19/20 (2,699 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

A- 1" thick light tan head on a cloudy orange body with amber hues to it.
S- Huge fresh pine hops hit the nose, hints of citrus but mostly a strong pine aroma. Don't think I have smelt a fresh hopped beer with these kind of hops in it. Maybe just a hint of caramel in the back.
T- Nice thick fresh pine hop. Comes through a lot stronger in the aroma though. Sticks all over mouth and just leaves a nice sticky hop aftertaste. Caramel malts come in a bit more in the flavor than the aroma. Nice light malt to balance this out just a tad.
M- Full body with medium/low carbonation.
D- This is a fantastic beer and if not the best fresh hopped beer I have had (even with a few months on it). I would love to try this a few seconds after it being made. 3F's do it again, I am going to be pissed when I buy one of their beers and it completely lets me down. (852 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

The aromatics on this beer are unbelievable. Perfumy flowers, citrus, and slightly sweet hops. Not that it's necessary after such a first impression, this beer comes through again with a citrusy bitter taste. Ranks at the top of the fresh hop spectrum with Founders Harvest Ale. I'd give the overall edge, for me, to Founders' effort, but the nose on this beer is unmatched. (374 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours an opaque peach color. The head is a bright white, finger thick of different sized bubbles. Retention is slight, and a slight lace is left behind.

The smell is out of this world. The wet hopped beers you can smell from across the room and this is no different. Amazing citrus smell, pineapple. Slight orange peel and pine. Faint malt scent hides in the background.

The taste is as good as the smell. Really, as good a tasting IPA as I can think of. Extremely hop forward, but with what I'm guessing are Cascade hops, it's the way to go. Pine and citrus flirt with the taste buds. Just enough malt and yeast to keep the hops in check.

For an IPA, it's extremely soft on the palate. A split second of sweet followed by high, but quality bitterness. The bitterness lasts into the swallow, but is welcome and never overpowering. Resiny pine coats the tongue and never lets go.

Overall, it's as good an IPA as there is. Sure, it's bitter, but it's supposed to be...however, it's bitter just the way it supposed to be and that makes it an amazing beer overall. I accidentally bought a second bottle by mistake...so glad I did. (1,131 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A bright beacon of the harvest: redolent of green fields—candied by some alchemy, and leaning autumnal in the sunshine of fast-shortening afternoons—punctuated by strange, almost alien expressions of lemon-blossoms and lemongrass. Its nose spurts fresh dry-hopping, which pairs phenomenally with the medium-bodied by extraordinarily clean mouth; meanwhile the malts are pale-orange and juicy in their turbid potency.

Really, this is one of my favorite ales: extremely sessionable, stickily juicy, wonderfully expressive, and all-around excellent. (552 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +15%

Poured from bottle into imperial pint glass. Half inch of white head, great lacing, bright orange/golden in color. Smell is soft fruits, apricots and peaches. Very mild. This one is exploding with amarillo hops. Taste is an intense leafy apricot and peach, green figs, light malts in back ground. Not very sweet. The fresh hops are incredible - smells very fresh. No alcohol in taste. Moderate carbonation and medium light mouthfeel. Not overly dry, but not sweet either. With this kind of taste, how could it not be a 5 in drinkability? I have had this in the past and i dont know if this is a better batch or fresher. Either way i think this one needs to be drank as fresh as possible. (687 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +15%

Thanks to my brother for driving this one out to me from Indiana.

Served from a 22oz bomber in my trusty SABL glass at between fridge and cellar temperature.

A - Gluggy, viscous, tarnished gold color with a slow-motion upward carbonation push to form the proud, marshmallowy off-white head. Head retention is OK, and lacing is good, although not as pervasive as I would have hoped.

S - Step 1 - Take a handful of Amarillo hops, straight from the vine. Step 2 - Place said hops in a strainer bag in an industrial vise. Step 3 - Place cup beneath said vise. Step 4 - Tighten vise completely. Step 5 - Sniff the few droplets of hop juice that fall into the cup. Ta da! Oh, that and a bit of sweet, lightly toasted malts.

T - Thankfully, it's not as sweet as it smells. The front of the tongue picks up a light sweetness that's accentuated by the floral characteristics of the hops. The middle brings forth more of the citrusy notes while the malts start to subside. In the back of the throat, bitter is king, as the malts seem to drop off completely. Swallow is medium dry and definitely bitter, but oddly enough, the mild sweetness found in the front seems to triumphantly reemerge, bringing the taste profile full circle. Very very nice.

M - Just a hair lighter than "syrupy" would describe, and oily slick from the hops. Carbonation is spot-on, with a light tingle that dares the hops to do a better job of numbing the tongue. Swallow is the wash of seafoamy hopjuice ocean.

D - Yummy. Which equals drinkability. This, to me, seems to be like Alpha King, but with a fresher hop profile, and a slightly tamer carbonation and acidity. For my money, I'd venture to say I like it better, even though it's harder to find, especially in a hop-recession year. Yea me! (1,766 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +14.5%

Bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: cloudy peach gold with a thick finger sized head on top.

Smell: Hops, almost a type of hops I've never smelled before. Almost like a fruit version of a hop. It's light and pleasant.

Taste: many layers to describe. First there is the crisp malt flavor, mild bitterness, hops and this weird chocolate flavor that looms over the tasting. Ends with this...peanut flavor. Best IPA I've ever had.

The one thing I hate about Three Floyds, is that there is never enough. Binny's is sold out most of the time and now the local liquor store I buy Three Floyds at has closed. fml. (617 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +14.5%

I wish I had access this beer on a daily basis, but, unfortunately, I live down here in Tn. so I have to drive to Indiana to get this. That sucks but what are you going to do?

This is one of the finest IPAs that I've ever had the privilege to drink. I now see what all of the fuss is about.

Very crisp hoppy aroma to this. Very fresh hops in the aroma and a taste to match. Extremely hoppy but yet very balanced.

I absolutely loved this. (442 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14%

Imbibed at the FFF Brewpub 10/12/2010.

Appearance -- Pours a burnt orange hue with golden highlights and two fingers of sudsy white head. Nice lacing. A little bit more head retention would've made this a 5. Still, phenomenal.

Smell -- Massive citrus hop aroma with fresh cut lemon, grapefruit, and tangerine. Tropical fruitiness is also in the mix, but citrus dominates. Reminiscent of a wet-nap, actually. Mild caramel sweetness also in the mix. Only quip - wish it was more aromatic, that there was more of this intoxicating hop aroma go imbibe. A pretty forgivable failing.

Taste -- Bright, juicy citrus hop flavor dominates all over the place - lemon/lime, grapefruit, tangerine; again, reminiscent of the smell of a wet-nap. Hop bitterness is pronounced, but not bracing. Caramel malt back lends brightness to the citrus notes and keeps the bitterness in balance - nowhere near malty. Long grapefruit pith finish. Excellent.

Mouthfeel -- A hair fuller than medium-bodied with an abundance of fine prickly carbonation.

Drinkability -- It probably helped that I had this harvest IPA within a week after bottling and straight from he source, but it's still heads and shoulders over every other IPA I've had to date. FFF never disappoints in the hops department, and this is certainly no exception. (1,306 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14%

thanks lingtindarkness for this

appearance- poured a nice amber/orange with a thick fluffy 1" head

Smell- nice fresh hops with pine grapefruit and some caramel sweetness

taste- nice fresh hop taste with grapefruit and orange. also getting some tropical fruit as well. mabey pineapple.

mouthfeel- medium body with good carbonation

drinkability- one of the best american ipa's i have had. i will seek this one out again and again and again. (443 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +13.3%

Saw this out of the corner of my eye at the store today and picked up every bomber I could get my hands on.

Pours clear and dark, looks like it could represent the wikipedia photo for an IPA, at least initally before the head starts to fade off a bit. Otherwise a solid, cherry soaked, oak.

This beer smells like almost every well-hopped Three Floyds beer I've tried (with the exception to Dreadnaught). I'm guessing the hops being displayed most prominently here are Amarillo because this beer smells a lot like Gumballhead, it's a little earthier, but has a lot of the same characteristics. After I take the first sip and the beer has coated my tongue, the beer smells like orange juice.

Vinious, piney, now it tastes nothing like Gumballhead and more like Dreadnaught-lite, which is to say, pretty awesome. It feels as though this beer came from the cask rather than the bottle, the carbonation is on the lighter side and feels very smooth, but not insubstantial on the tongue. I'd say that this is a pretty understated beer, it displays a lot of subtle character that I won't go to deeply into, sufice to say that each sip brings something new to the table. Pine and nuttiness here on minute, grapefruit, honey and orange juice in another. I am trying to think of a way that this beer could be improved upon in the taste department, but so far I'm coming up empty, this beer would be near impossible to improve upon and at 5.50% it's damn near sessionable for a FFF beer. (1,479 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured from a bomber bottle into a tulip glass

A - Golden with tangerine hues and one and a half fingers of head.

S - Sweet grapefruit, light pine, some passion fruit, orange, lots of citrus, something that smells like Fuggles hops. Very nice and refreshing.

T - Resiny bitterness and citrus which quickly gives way to a malty sweetness, almost honey-like, and then a bit of bitterness on the backend. This doesn't seem like a 7.0% beer. Tasty.

M - Medium. After a few sips I can already feel my saliva getting thicker but it probably won't bother too many other people.

D - One bomber bottle is enough, I think, but this is so tasty I think I could polish off another one.

Overall a really great offering from Three Floyd's. Delicious, great aroma, the only thing that bugs me is the mouthfeel a bit but I think that's more of a personal issue I have with IPAs, APAs, and any other thick, bitter beers. Don't let that stop you from trying it though. (956 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +13.3%

A: orange copper color. thick off white head that leaves lacing all over. I can't wait to dig in.

S: Dank pine with juicy grapefruit smack me in the face.

T: Slight bitter grapefruit hits me first. Kind of lingers in the middle and finishes sweet.

M: Nice carbonation. Medium body.

O: First FFF brew I've ever had. It's very tasty, and I can only imagine what their other brews taste like! (394 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

Citrus and very earthy aroma. With a nice malt and a hint of sugar/sweetness. A very tasty citrusy grapefruit and a hint of hop resin flavor. Along with something I can't put my finger on. I love the mouthfeel on this IPA. Has a nice dry finish. If you're looking for a big hoppy IPA, look elsewhere. Hops are very mild in this one. However, it does have a perfect balance. I highly recommend any beer from Three Floyds! They have'nt let me down once. ENJOY! (459 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured from 22ox. bomber into rounded glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange-copper with about a half-finger's worth of head, settled after a mildly vigorous pour. Head is off-white, frothy and bubbly. Streams of carbonation buzz about the exterior of this brew. Only the shadows of my fingers can be perceived through the body of this slightly murky beer. Head recedes to a ring around the glass as the brew fades, leaving behind only the slightest traces of lacing on the glass. 4.75/5

Smell: Fresh, citrusy hops burst out into the nostrils on first whiff of this brew. This is the kind of piney, citrusy friend of ours that we know and love, just fresher than usual. Smell settles fairly swiftly after the pour, though maybe my nostrils are already numbed by even just the aroma of the hops in this concoction. A distinct orange strain remains throughout this fresh hop beer. 4.25/5

Taste: Lush tropical citruses and piney, resiny hops don't as much attack as much as flood over the taste buds. Noah would have to build a second ark to float through this sea of fresh, sticky hops. Yet the flavor and bitterness, although very forward and present, is not anywhere close to overpowering. The bitterness starts off on the almost-heavy side but subsides to a wonderful bouquet of floral hops and a just-right sweet, toasty malt backbone to complement the citrus aromas. Just a bit of dryness, a light lingering bitterness, and a juicy orange flavor brings you back for another sip. Bitterness subdues and blends beautifully with the citrus and sweetness as the beer warms. 4.75/5

Mouthfeel: bitter and sticky from the freshly harvested hops, though not as lip-clinging as other harvest hop ales I've had in recent weeks. A bit creamy and smooth on the way down, especially for a bitter-forward harvest ale. Medium carbonation does not inhibit the drinkability at all. Just a little sticky around the lips. Just right. 5/5

Overall: Another fantastic brew from the boys at FFF. Hop-forward yet not so in your face that you can't have a few of these (though they do come in 22oz.-ers, so I wouldn't recommend more than one in a sitting!). Great balance of slightly dry bitterness and juicy sweet malts to keep the drinking easy and the tongue feeling. Too bad this only shows up in October. 4.75/5 (2,299 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +12.4%

Another big thanks to Pat for the bottle....

A- pours a hazy golden orange... huge froathy white head... dissolves leaving a symphony of white lace to the glass

S- big whiffs of tropical gum ball come to mind.. apricot, mango, pineapple slurry... grassy earthiness, sweet caramel as the back drop

T- light pine sap, sweet bitter tropical fruits.. sweet caramel, toasted toffee highlights

M- smoothy and creamy... prickly carbonation... dreaming creamy bitterness lingering...tropical fruits dancing on the tongue

O- its three Floyd's... turn up some metal... and drink... its an experience ....live it (606 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

I have been seeking this one out forever. I have a huge craving for good IPA's and have heard just wonderful things about this one, so it was no wonder that I just had to seek it out and see what the fuss was all about. Received it in a BIF recently and immediately put it into the fridge. Grabbed it out last night for dinner and served it at about 45 degrees into a pint glass. The our was very nice with a rich, and very hazy dark amber color. Lots of hints at orange were riddled throughout this one and there was a tremendous amount of carbonation just streaking skyward. Nice two finger head of white froth on top that receded down into a broken crown of lace that thoroughly coated the insides of the glass. Very solid look for an IPA.

The aroma just leaped forward onto me before I was even ready for it. Huge floral notes of grapefruit and orange. Big-time citrus here. As it warmed it turned a little more fruity, giving way to some apple and peach notes mostly and a nice touch of light grass in the back. This all translated over very well to the flavor which also was wonderful. Deep notes of floral hopes were interlaced seamlessly with touches of apples and a slight chewiness. Lots of grapefruit and orange here that really pushed this one home and made it very fresh tasting. A wonderful medium body on this was laced with great carbonation all around. I was really impressed with this and that crisp, and cleaned out dry finish was the icing on the cake. A nice low ABV harvest ale that I could have literally drank endlessly it seemed. I was super impressed with this in really every aspect.

Overall this was easily one of the better IPA's I have had in a long time. It had that super fresh hop taste that left that almost resin like quality in your mouth. Sticky at times, but always finishing crisp and clean. There is no doubt that I would be thrilled to have this again, and cannot even imagine how could it would be on tap. This is a must try and one that I will seek out again for sure! (2,013 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

Appearence is a nice cloudy deep orange color. There is only a thin halo of head left around the rim with nice lacing.

The smell is of fresh hops, citrus hops, and a bit of caramel malt.

The taste isn't quite what I would expect from a harvest ale. This tastes basically like an ipa. Its sweet citrus then quickly over to bitter hops. The malt comes in a bit at the finish. Its medium bodies and low in carbonation.

The drinkability on this is quite high. I thought this was great and a different take on what I've had in usual harvest ales. Definitely worth a try. (571 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

22oz bottle - No freshness date, but this one is definitely super fresh - Poured into my Three Floyds imperial pint glass...

Pours a glowing golden amber with just a touch of haze. Two fingers of meringue-like white head forms and slowly recedes, leaving some lacing behind...

Smells like Three Floyds. That is now a descriptor. Those of you who frequently drink their hoppy beers (Alpha King, Pride & Joy, Gumballhead and Dreadnaught specifically) know that all of them have a distinct, almost grape like hop aroma...This beer immediately hits you with tons of fresh juicy hops, sweet and fruity, like a tropical fruit salad. Simply fantastic, makes me really excited to taste this one...

Juicy fruity hops overwhelm the palette right off the bat. Fruity and juicy, juicy and fruity. Full of flavor with a lingering bitterness. A touch of alcohol on the lips. A bit of malt sweetness emerges but really doesn't do much to stop the hops. Finishes dry and bitter, like the skin of a grapefruit or orange...

Medium bodied with some lively carbonation. Juicy and somewhat resinous, dry bitter aftertaste lasts forever...

Simply phenomenal!! (1,142 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

My brother picked this one up along with numerous other midwest brews.

A: Pours a lovely golden yellow with a big bubbly head that dies down quickly. Sheet after sheet of lacing.

S: Yeah these are fresh green wet hops. Tons of fresh cut grass and floral scents. Sweet pine sap and hints of fresh squeezed Florida grapefruit.

T: I love the smell, this baby is all about hops. Fresh green grass and and grapefruit assaults the tongue. Typical of 3 Floyd's brews not much in the malt category.

M: Medium to full bodied brew with a dry characteristic.

D: So drinkable, nearly sessionable.

Overall: My favorite harvest ale to date, and this one has a few months age on it. I love 3 Floyd's for their aggressive hops and this one does not disappoint. Tons of flavor and so enjoyable. Man I wish I had a case of this one. My favorite IPA in quite awhile. (854 characters)

Broo Doo from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.