Broo Doo - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Broo DooBroo Doo

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Availability: Fall

This beer is brewed during the hop harvest with a portion of unkilned or “wet” hops fresh off the vine. Apricot in color, Broo Doo’s nose has dominant orange, pine sap and floral notes, balanced by a glazed nut and toffee malt body. This celebration of the hop harvest has intense tropical fruit, citrus and spicy accents that showcase the complexity of the hops we all love.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-19-2006)
4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

22 ounce bottle. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a hazy amber/orange color with a half-inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both pretty good. Aroma is citrus (grapefruit, pineapple) and pine hops along with some caramel malt. The taste is the same as the aroma, citrus and pine hops and caramel malt. It's a little more hoppy than malty, but for the most part there's good balance in this brew. There's also has a good bitter hoppy finish. Mouthfeel/body is medium and it has good carbonation. Drinkability is very good, it's smooth and easy to drink. I think this is a pretty good IPA, I'll definitely have to buy more of this in the future. I'm sure it'll be even better fresh.

bluejacket74, Jul 19, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -21.5%

A dark orange color is given off by the brew with a foam head that sticks around for a while and leaves a nice ring minutes after the initial pour. A strong hop presence comes to the nostril and with some malt and barely hinting around in the back.

This beer will give a hop lover his fix, that is pretty much what it is the entire time , I taste some spice in the middle , but hops are all throughout the taste experience. This isn't exactly my style IPA I like a little more flavor in them then just hops, I'm more of a dreadnaught fan than this one.It is a little heavy on the palate and has just the right amount of carbonation. Good mouthfeel overall.

This is a decent drinker for IPA but I still prefer more citrus to keep the hop build up from overload.

bgreg3, Jul 11, 2009

Big thanks to deliriumfest for this one. My first three floyds beer. Poured from a 650 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Very cloudy burnt orange. One finger of white head that just sat there. Tons of lacing.

Smell: Almost a weird bubblegum sweet smell behind the bitter hops. Interesting.

Taste: It's bitter and smooth at the same time, which is weird, but very good. There's an initial hop bite, but its not as harsh as a lot of IPAs. In fact, I'd say this tastes more like a double, with how much is packed into this. There is definitely a nice, hoppy, bitter aftertaste, that lingers for a long time. I haven't gotten any real citrus notes like some have mentioned, but there's also no date on the bottle, so I have no idea if this is an older bottle, or if I'm just tasting different things. Either way, not a bad beer. A little bit watery on the finish, however.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, and good thickness to support the flavors.

Drinkability: For a regular IPA, phenomenal. Would have definitely thought this was a DIPA by the taste. It's not my favorite style of IPA, however, as I generally prefer more citrus flavors - maybe if I have the chance to go where FFF distributes, I'll try to pick up some another time. I enjoyed this though.

StarlightSeraph, Jun 18, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

3 Floyds Harvest Ale

Poured from the 22oz bottle into a Belgian goblet. Relatively fresh, was bought in March this year.

Appearance- Beer pours cloudy and amber golden with a finger of creamy white head, and ample lacing on the sides of the glass. Beer appears to be a bit red when held to the light, the cloudiness is something of a surprise as there is likely no wheat to be found. It may be unfiltered I guess.

Smell- Oh Bobby. This sweet hop nectar comes leaping from the glass straight into my nose. Grapefruit and pear upfront. So rich, the comments on the bottle call it the finest American malts which I pawned off as a catch phrase, but it actually smells like they are using fine quality malt here, maybe not 2 row, maybe maris otter for this one. The grapefruit here smells fresh and I think this beer would be fine for breakfast.

Taste- Now here is our cream filled crumpet. The citrus is upfront quickly followed by a pine and grapefruit chaser with a wonderful smoothness that coats the tongue and mouth instantly. Malt is very even and balanced, slightly buttery. The finish is smooth and slightly sweet with an excellent hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel- Spicy, creamy, medium high in carbonation (it tried to gush but we were quick on the pour), medium full bodied, very tasty.

Drinkability- Very smooth and drinkable, the hop bitterness is amazingly balanced and 3 floyds is living up to their great expectations that everyone knows that they deliver with.

blakesell, Jun 13, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

Acquired via trade...thanks Josh! 22 ounce bottle poured into the new SA glass. No abv info or bottling info is present.

A-Pours a hazy amber that is extremely orange in the light. Has a one finger off white head that slowly recedes. Leaves a lot of sticky lace.

S-Lots of grpefruit hops that have kept up remarkably well. The caramel malts are more pronounced, as expected, due to some age.

T-The grapefruit taste is upfront and dominates. The sweet malt hits in the middle, but is a lot more restrained than it is on the nose. The finish is just full on grapefruit bitterness. It has an aftertaste that reminds me in a lot of ways of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

M-Medium bodied with crisp carbonation.

D-Went down quite easily. Lower abv means this is sessionable.

I was quite impressed with how good this beer considering it has a little age on it. I look forward to acquiring a fresh bottle in a few months and will rereview it.

mjl21, Jun 04, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

From bottle into pint glass. This is FFF's seasonal wet hop brew, falling somewhere between an American IPA and a DIPA. Pours a hazy amber with a thick rocky head that carries a bright grapefruit scent with a bit of caramel underneath. Rather than knocking you senseless with the strength of the hops, this beer is more about showcasing various hop flavors. At first the citrus comes to the front, nicely balanced by some subtle malt sweetness. Then the hops take over, going from grapefruit to a rich bitterness and finally a crisp hop smack to the back of your throat. Despite the prominent hop presence, this isn't as much of a hop assault as its DIPA cousin, Dreadnaught. That, plus the near absence of any taste of alcohol, makes this a very drinkable beer.

chicagobeerriot, Jun 01, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

As a 3F's diehard I have to say, this is my favorite of all their labels. Fantastic. But anyway, this isn't a industrial design review website so on to the beer. I really like the way this beer looks, dark orange with a off-white head that craters nicely. The smell is super fantastic, hops and sweetness. It really does convey that harvest theme. The taste doesn't quite stand up to the smell and appearance, this could be due to the bottle being a little older. It isn't bad, it just seems to have a hole in the middle of the taste if that makes sense. Fantastic hop slam on the front and a sweet malt backbone, I just think the middle of your taste with this beer is a bit lacking. That being said, this is still a really good beer and I would absolutely seek it out again.

SwiftyMcBeer, May 04, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

A medium amber color, with some carbonation visible in the glass. A two and half in head forms, that is cream in color, clings to the glass and laces slowly down the sides. A floral scent at first, followed by a grassy and citrus fragrance, with touches of pine at the end. A surprisingly a hearty malt flavor at the front, with bread and cracked grain flavors, with touches of tobacco. Then the hops make their appearance, bringing a strong citrus taste followed by a earthy and pine flavor, that seems to linger on the palate for some time. A consistent mouthfeel, staying medium bodied all the way through. This a good beer, the strong hops in the aroma and flavor are very good. One taste and you know where this beer comes from.

cameraman, May 03, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -4%

Had this at the beer festival at the Rotten Apple in Grafton.

Great color. A really deep orange, not amber. Nice head with some great lacing on the glass. Right away I could smell citrus and pine. Made my mouth water. The taste did lived up to the aroma. This was my favorite beer of the day and you have to love the graphics on the bottle.

Wheelinb, Apr 22, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

Ordered this beer from Archer liquors in Chicago. Poured into an imperial pint glass. Pours a nice dark orange-red color with half inch head. Great aroma of citrusy hops, some light caramel, honey, and spice(wow). Lot of pine? in the taste which was great. I also tasted some very light coconut and some caramel. Very unique tasting to me. Reminds me of bourbron for some reason. Very well balanced and smooth. I love this beer. Wow. I wish I had a few more bottles left.

atpben, Apr 17, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

I've been waiting to try this one for a while. Despite this bottle being a few months old, Broodoo starts kicking ass right out the gate. It pours a very hazy amber color and has a strong orange tint to it. A creamy off-white head stands over two fingers tall. It receded slowly and left waves of sticky lace on the glass. Very impressive.

The nose is very nice, but falls just shy of excellence. I'm surprised at how hoppy it smells. I don't know when this is normally released, but this bottle is a few months old. Somehow the hops managed to retain a good deal of their citrusy, piney characteristics. There's plenty of grapefruit, pineapple, and mango to go around. Sugary sweetness is noted. Pale malts are present, but I'm not picking up any of the caramel variety at all. Gotta love that. Broodoo really does have an enticing smell. I'm really close to pulling the "4.5" trigger, but it's just not quite there. Maybe I need to seek out a super fresh bottle this fall.

The flavor profile is very consistent with the nose. It's sweet and sugary up front. Grapefruit, pineapple, and a little mango are noted. They're obviously attributed to citric hops. Again, the hops have held up well. They provide a nice bitter bite and have an excellent flavor. Pale malts are present, but there's no caramel here. It should come as no surprise that Broodoo falls on the hoppy side of the fence, even with a few months on it. I was anticipating this to be pretty well balanced, but that's not the case. It's not overly hoppy or bitter, but is definitely skewed in that direction. Alcohol is not noted in the least. It's masked very well. It has a sweet, bitter, and dry finish. Once again, it's a close call as far as score goes. At the end of the day, it comes up just a tad short.

The body is medium and has a very smooth feel. Carbonation is a little active, but isn't too distracting. Maybe just a little. Drinkability is very high. I really like the flavor here and it goes down too easy. I'm not certain that this bottle is 5.5% abv, but it doesn't seem too big. At that level...well...you do the math.

There's no doubt, Broodoo is very impressive beer. I was a little apprehensive of how it'd be at a few months old, but I'm very pleasantly surprised. It's held up well. I'm guessing a fresh bottle with amped up hops would trigger an amped up score. I've already decided to pursue such a bottle this fall and will perhaps revisit this review. I'm guessing the final score here is a little short of what it really should be. Nonetheless, it's very good. Highly recommended.

prototypic, Apr 14, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

A wet hopped beer from Three Floyds, now that sounds like something to get excited about. Many thanks to heliosphan for sending me a bomber of this. Poured in to a tulip glass a hazy dark orange, with two fingers of white head. Notes of honey citrus and pine come through in the smell, along with a tiny boozy quality. Taste from the hops is rye bread, garlic, mint leave, some tangerine or clementine, overall very tasty. Mouthfeel is about medium, with the hops dominating (as they should) with a little malt kick here and there. Drinkability is solid; I had no problem whatsoever polishing off this bottle. Final thoughts are that this is a good, not great fresh hop beer from Three Floyds. Perhaps I was expecting too much from them considering their other offerings. Either way I will say that this is a tasty brew that is more than deserving of a purchase from you. Cheers

jamie2dope, Apr 09, 2009

Appearance: Cloudy amber orange colored with an off white head.

Smell: Hops and caramel mix well with pine and grapefruit. There is an underlying spiciness also and another fruit I cant quite figure out. Mango?

Taste: Pine and hops up front with a definate caramel ending. The sweet malt flavor was very good but was not a bitter as I was expecting.

Mouthfeel/drinkability: Medium body and carbonation and a dry finish.

meatmallet, Apr 06, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

I found this review written on an envelope under some papers on my desk. I received this as an extra in a trade with Pwoods, which is awesome because I didn't have to trade for it. I collected trolls when I was a 6 years old so this beer is nostalgic.

Poured into a pint glass, the beer is orangish gold with a nice two finger head. The retention and lacing are both excellent.

The aroma is of fresh hops. Grapefruit, and grassy, earthy, piney wet hops. Alcohol is apparent as well. The flavor is bitter grapefruit hops with a caramel malt backbone. The hops have notes of pine and an earthiness with some alcohol. The finish is long, dry, and bitter.

The beer has great carbonation, a medium-full body, and a sticky mouthfeel.

HopHead84, Apr 05, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +3%

Pours a perfectly clear amber color; not sure I've seen a beer so clear before. Smells a nice clean hoppy smell, nothing overwhelming. Not a crazy hop bomb, just a nice IPA.

Very drinkable. Not sure what I paid for this, seems like it was a bit on the pricey side though. Good quality beer, glad I tried it.

jpalarchio, Mar 24, 2009

Bottle from Keg Liquor.

Poured hazy copper color with a large frothy off-white head that lasted with excellent lacing. Moderate to heavy sour citrus hop and small sweet aroma. Medium body with a smooth texture and soft carbonation. Moderate to heavy citrus bittersweet flavor with a moderate sweet finish of medium to long duration.

Very good complex brew and nice change of pace.

tmoneyba, Mar 24, 2009

In a snifter:

Broodoo has a dark amber body and pours with two fingers of off white head. Lacing for days in sheets. Smells pretty obviously of ganja, with a ton of grapefruit and lemon as well. Way more malty that I expected. Fruity and floral notes bring the beer through a refreshing aftertaste. Out of balance for an ipa, but its quite good nonetheless. Piney. It's unfortunately a touch watery but not bad, and its well carbonated. Relatively forgiving to the palate and absolutely delicious, and therefore quite drinkable.

schroederm, Mar 22, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Ruby in color, perfect head, looks great. Huge hoppiness right away with some citrus notes. Hop/malt combo makes this one a great sessionable brew. Light-medium and very refreshing. Love this IPA...glad I know where to find some more or else I might be crying at the moment. Going to buy some more, that's for sure.

Sean9689, Mar 20, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

22 oz bottle purchased for me by a friend at Keg Liquors in Indiana. Poured into my Sierra Nevada Hop Tulip glass.

A: Pours a nice copper color with a with an off-white frothy head. It seems to stay around a quarter inch thick for quite a while. It leaves loads of lacing.

S: A nice citrus hop aroma. Pineapple and grapefruit seem to be the dominant smell.

T: This one is incredibly tasty. Just a bit of sweet caramel malt flavor is quickly washed away by a ton of citrus hop bitterness. The finish is very clean.

M: The feel is nice and thick for the style. The carbonation gives it a bit of creaminess. Very nice and smooth.

D: This one goes down super easy for the style. Part of that is due to the relatively low ABV, clean finish, and smooth feel.

GatorBeerNerd, Mar 18, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

Appearence is a nice cloudy deep orange color. There is only a thin halo of head left around the rim with nice lacing.

The smell is of fresh hops, citrus hops, and a bit of caramel malt.

The taste isn't quite what I would expect from a harvest ale. This tastes basically like an ipa. Its sweet citrus then quickly over to bitter hops. The malt comes in a bit at the finish. Its medium bodies and low in carbonation.

The drinkability on this is quite high. I thought this was great and a different take on what I've had in usual harvest ales. Definitely worth a try.

ShrLSU, Mar 02, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

Appearance - Dark amber with a deep orange tint. Very supple white head pillows on top, before fading into a thick ring with substantial lacing.

Smell - Tropical fruits are very well represented. Bitter hops are backed by a sweet caramel aroma.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Hops are present, but don't really jump out and grab a hold like they should. Instead a very smooth toasted caramel malt lays down a backbone, and gives it a breadiness. Does finish a little bitter, but not as biting as it should be. A little lite in the feel and somewhat watery. After awhile this one just gets a little bland.

Drinkability - Not as good as some of their year round releases, but worthy of the Three Floyds label. Decent, but a pretty average experience.

ryrust5301, Mar 02, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -4%

Poured from the bottle a hazy amber-orange with a healthy off-white head which quickly faded.

Aroma of sweet caramel malts, orange, and floral hops, and a bit of earthiness.

Tastes of orange, grapefruit upfront, followed by pine, bread, and caramel. Light bitterness to the finish.

Medium bodied, smooth, and moderately carbonated.

This one was not as hoppy as expected. If anything, it leaned to the malty side. Still, a pretty nice IPA from FFF.

Monkeyknife, Feb 27, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

First of all, kudos to the sterling Sun Singer in Champaign for stocking its shelves with several Three Floyds wares. Broodoo is the fourth of five different new offerings they have I've tried, and it's incredible. Enjoyed with a sirloin pot roast with potatoes, carrot, and mushrooms.

A thin but durable finger of off-white head tops a cider-orange body with dark yellow highlights; dense lacing on the Duvel tulip only augments the positive impression Broodoo has begun. Lush, citrusy nose with grapefruit, orange, and lemon with some caramel malt--excellent. As is the taste. The citrus dominates, but the malt is a fine accompaniment.

Where Broodoo comes together is in the mouthfeel. It's gritty and resiny as I like with brawny IPAs, but also smooth from the malt. Broodoo strikes a great balance as an IPA, a testament to its genius from Three Floyds. Highly drinkable, Broodoo is a tremendous IPA, better than I expected and one of my top ten.

Sublime.

Gehrig, Feb 22, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -18%

Got this in a recent trade with fogdog: my FFF dealer.

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Opaque, auburn body with loose, soapy, off-white head. Dissipates to a thin, bubbly film after a short while. Pretty sticky looking - nice lacing. Looks pretty damn malty, but otherwise very good!

Smell: Extremely floral and perfume-like, with a bit of astringent alcohol. There's some caramel malt as well as some piney hops. Smells okay I suppose, but not at all like I anticipated (or hoped).

Taste: Pine throughout. Big and malty with a mildly bitter, oily hop finish. Caramel, pie crust, herbs, and spices as well. Not really diggin this.

Mouthfeel: Really malty; thick and creamy for the style. Carbonation is a bit low, but it fits the style well. Wish that this were a bit more balanced, but whatever.

Drinkabilty: This is my second FFF IPA, and I'm again left unimpressed. Both have felt and tasted over-malted and heavy. Too heavy and a bit bland.

Taste:

Mouthfeel:

Drinkkability:

ThreeWiseMen, Feb 09, 2009

22 oz shared by azagthoth yesterday.

Pours a hazy light orange color (haziness is the only place the appearance lost points), 3/4" white head, good retention and good lacing. The foam was very thick and heavy, it slid down the sides of the glass like oil or something viscous.

Aroma is very resiny like it should be very bitter and sweet and malty. The hop smells were mostly piney with a touch of orange.

Flavor was alright only because the hops seem to be a bit subdued (possibly damaged in shipping or maybe the bottle is just a few months old). Good flavor regardless but not much bitterness left. Heavy on the pine, touch of citrus, very resiny.

Body is medium, possibly a bit on the heavy side for an IPA. Quite drinkable.

t0rin0, Feb 07, 2009