Broo Doo - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Broo DooBroo Doo

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-19-2006

This beer is brewed during the hop harvest with a portion of unkilned or “wet” hops fresh off the vine. Apricot in color, Broo Doo’s nose has dominant orange, pine sap and floral notes, balanced by a glazed nut and toffee malt body. This celebration of the hop harvest has intense tropical fruit, citrus and spicy accents that showcase the complexity of the hops we all love.

3.75/5  rDev -12%

4.07/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a bomber bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Had an apricot tinge. Nice white head that dissipated fairly quickly. Foam retention on glass once I started to drink it.

Smell: Had a strong citrus orange smell with pine notes. Smelled strongly of alcohol.

Taste: Quickly took over my palate with a strong floral presence. Juicy at first and then dries out. Taste similar to drinking orange juice, but with a strong alcohol after taste.

Mouth feel: Strong alcohol presence makes your tongue tingle at first, but goes down smoothly leaving a slight burn.

Got this beer for my birthday from a friend. I enjoyed drinking it and would rate it as a 4.

3.64/5  rDev -14.6%

Appearance: Pours a deep golden apricot…fluffy, cloud-like off white head formed and a finger width remains…dense color, not overly transparent, though I can see tons of bubble action when I look close…good looking brew…(4/5)

Smell: Got earthy/piney hops aroma as I poured it, very hop forward…when I stick my nose in the glass, I get tons of (mouthwatering!) robust earthy/piney/musty/resinous hops mixed with strong caramel/toffee malt aromas…sweet and some mild citrus (orange, mandarin)…it’s nice, but I fear the hops have lost a bit of life over the past few months, leaving the sweet caramel/toffee malt to dominate…side note, I definitely get a little bubblegum, tropical fruitiness from the inside of the bottle…(3.75/5)

Taste: Much like the nose, wet hops abound…tons of robust/musty/earthy/piney/resinous hops flavor up front followed by sweet caramel malts…the flavor is somewhat robust but not overly exotic or dynamic…this brew certainly doesn’t have the same life that I normally find from FFF…it has their classic sweet/caramel malt flavor, but lacks in the zesty citrus flavors that I normally expect from them…I do get a touch of lemony citrus bitterness, but it’s faint and certainly could be more…rather straight forward and somewhat plain…(3.5/5)

Mouthfeel: Medium body…light to medium carbonation brings a hint of lemon/citrus bitterness…chewy, smooth, a touch dry in the finish…the feel is really the liveliest part of the brew and saves it from mediocrity…(4/5)

Overall: This is a good brew, but I’m sadly thinking it’s lost a step over the last 4 months as Broo Doo wss bottled in October...the hops flavor is not zesty, lively or fresh and barely hangs on to the sweet caramel malts that dominate the flavor at this point…it’s good and drinkable, but just leaves my palate wanting…I’ve had other IPA’s (Clown Shoes Supa Hero being one) that were a bit aged, caramel malt dominant, but where the citrus hops, or any hops for that matter, still were apparent and influential in the overall flavor…I’m a huge fan of Three Floyds and would put that brewery up there with the best and maybe only second to Bell’s (born and raised in MI), but this brew was a bit disappointing…I wouldn’t recommended rushing to the store in Michigan City, IN where I got this from, but I would try it again next fall when it was a lot fresher…(3.5/5)

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Broo Doo from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.