Broo Doo - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Broo DooBroo Doo

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-19-2006

This beer is brewed during the hop harvest with a portion of unkilned or “wet” hops fresh off the vine. Apricot in color, Broo Doo’s nose has dominant orange, pine sap and floral notes, balanced by a glazed nut and toffee malt body. This celebration of the hop harvest has intense tropical fruit, citrus and spicy accents that showcase the complexity of the hops we all love.

3.75/5  rDev -12%

Pours golden with a white head and great lacing to the sides of glass. Aroma is floral,nutty, a touch of citrus rind, and some toast. Flavor i s similar with the addition of some tropical fruits and pine. A crisp, light mouthfeel. Overall, solid wet hop beer. Wouldn't spend $10 for the bomber of it again though.

3.68/5  rDev -13.6%

I love these Harvest Ales. Pours dark amber in color with a nice rocky two inch head. Spotty lacing is left on the glass. Smell is bittering hops. Taste is juicy bittering hops with a substantial malt backbone for support. As easy drinking of an IPA that I've ever had. Smooth, and juicy on mouthfeel. I could drink a ton of this stuff.

4.06/5  rDev -4.7%

22 oz. bottle served in a DHF signature glass.

A: Pours a semi hazy apricot color with a thick and frothy white head forming on the pour. It recedes slowly to a thick collar that leaves a ton of soapy lace down the glass.

S: Floral and piney, there is a nice underlying tropical fruit smells as well. The hoppy scents rest on a toffee and oaty malt backbone.

T: Bitter pine up front and throughout. Huge initial burst of resinous hops, there is some light floral notes and a kiss of citrus. Light grapefruit and a ton of sweet oat malt on the finish.

M: Medium bodied with a sticky mouthfeel. Nice medium-high carbonation level and sweet/oily hop finish.

O: Much more resinous and bitter than the nose would suggest. Overall it's a nice wet hop/harvest ale, but I'd pick up a Founders Harvest Ale any day.

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured into a pint glass
A: Moderate pour yields 1/4 finger white head with poor retention - more please. Chill hazy amber liquid.
S: Hops (cascade), some estery alcohol, some garlic, pine, whiff of bread.
T: Bitterness is tangoing with the sweet but dry malt. Mostly piney hop. Slightly perfumey alcohol. The harshest hopped wet hop ale I've had. White fir needle, with kind of a soapy bitterness closing.
M: Interesting dryness, prickly, bracing hops.
D: Great for the hophead in me. Bracing, but keeps drawing me back.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Picked up a bottle of this from Dobby's a couple days ago for $9.99. Three Floyds is spendy but generally worth it. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale flute.

Hops are from vine to vat in less than a day.

Appearance- Pours a reddish orange yellow (seriously depends on the light) with a decent one finger bright white head that recedes very slowly. A cap and collar is left the entire beer with a little bit of lacing. (I know there would be more but I just washed my glass in the dishwasher as it was getting a bit dingy)
Smell- Perhaps the most pungent Harvest Ale I'll smelled. Surprisingly citrusy (these fresh hops tend to be a pit more earthy/piney IMO) with loads of pineapple, grapefruit and peach. Bits of fresh cut grass seem to sneak into my nostrils every now-and-again as well. A bit of candy sweetness is detectable with hints of bubblegum and cotton candy. Hard to believe this is only 5.5% ABV because it smells as though it'd be a little stronger than that.
Taste- The smell was pretty nice but the taste is way better! Starts with a bit of light sweetness from the malt before a fairly subtle hop bitterness kicks in. Light brown sugar and a fresh bready maltiness upfront add a nice contrast to the newborn hops. A fairly swift bitter blast kicks in as the "greenness" of the hops really show. It's not the intense hop slap like the nose lead me to believe but it's still the star of the show. Fairly grassy and piney as a bit of grapefruit and orange pith hide in the background. Finishes with a light lingering piney bitterness.
Mouthfeel- Light to medium body with a semi slick feel and moderately crisp carbonation.
Drinkability- The alcohol smells like it would make this a bit more of a chore to drink that it is. It most definitely doesn't. This is one of the few reviews where I actually finished the entire bomber before I finished my review (as you can probably tell from my grammar and liberal use of parentheses). The best fresh hopped beer that I've had to date. Seek out this beer in the limited window it's available and fresh!!

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from bomber into Boulevard tulip. Bottle purchased the day it came in at $8.99, but apparently it was brewed a couple months ago? What's up with that?

A: Pours a beautiful rich golden color with some orange and mild haze. Head is moderate and creamy for an IPA, fairly bright white with average retention. Minimal lacing. This is beer is very inviting.

S: Sticky pine hops hit me first, followed by some sweet citrus and a hint of candied malt that increases as it warms. Telltale damp grass is there as well, reminding me this is a fresh hop ale.

T: Exactly as expected here, which is a good thing. Very dry pine hops with that fresh hop resin. Whenever fresh hops are done right, they do a nice job of reminding me of fresh cut grass early in the spring. This hits the mark, even though it has likely faded a bit.

M: Tight and resinous without being sticky like, say, Surly Wet. Lingers quite a while, with the bitterness hitting early and often.

O: This is a fantastic example of a wet hopped beer, and I it is too bad the price is high and distribution is spotty in my area. Three Floyd's never ceases to impress me with their hopped up ales. Well worth the purchase.

3.99/5  rDev -6.3%

Nothing like a fresh harvest-hopped ale at the start of the season; luckily, that’s what the next beer in my Three Floyd’s monthly beer quest is. I’m glad I got it on the first of the month, too – it’s good to know that a beer this hoppy just came out of the brewery less than a month ago. Plus, the label's pretty awesome: troll dolls, unicorns, and rainbows. Gotta love it.

A: Ok, maybe it’s the kid-friendly label, but I’m getting a gummy bear color from this pour (orange Haribo, to be exact). Nice shine, anyway. The head is silky smooth, nearly white, with a filmy retention that never leaves. Smooth lacing all around, and we’re looking good.

S: Ah, those hops; those flowery, potent hops. On a bed of explosive pine, superbly juicy fruits and pungent flowers sock the palate, almost bringing a tear to my eye. It’s earthy, sweet, and crisp – what more could you ask for? Even the malts, which are definitely not the stars of this show, are a rich caramel treat. I can feel my mouth watering as a peppery spice finishes this one out. Just great!

T: Smooth, clean taste, though not as good as the nose would lead me to believe. The malts aren’t very sweet or thick, shuffling across the palate without much of an impression besides some dim grains. The hops provide a smooth bitter taste, but they fall flat for being so fresh. And, like little crystals of dryness that just dissolve on your tongue, the aftertaste pops out from the hops and decreases exponentially as time goes on. I like the taste, I really do – I was just expecting more from this brew.

M: This is an odd one – it feels flat on the first sip, but froths up as you hold it in your mouth. It’s a decent feel for a brew like this, but nothing more.

O: Very drinkable, but definitely not my favorite IPA. In the nose, it’s a smash hit, but it’s only a little above-average when it comes to the ever-important category of taste. If this has done one thing for me, though, it’s made me excited for the new season and all the harvest ales that are bound to come out. To hops!

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

Bottle into Sam Adams sensory glass, with another gracious bow to Jeff (Alewatcher) for another fantastic beer, high on my list of beers I'm eager to try. This quality of this guy's boxes are so high so consistently, I've come to believe he's the DiMaggio of the beer trading world. I don't see the streak ending anytime soon.

Pours clear cooper-gold, dense, creamy off-whit head on top with great retention and good lacing.

Nose is nicely pungent, green - if you've ever opened up a hop packet and immediately taken a whiff, that same quality is present here. Just a bit of grapefruit and a bit of pine also. Nice nose.

Taste follows suit - raw and pungent and green, this one really smacks you right away. Some underlying bready caramel notes never really emerge to contribute much in the way of sweetness, but certainly support the fresh hoppiness nicely. Again, reminiscent of the brash, green, floral, pungent quality of a hop pellet - fits the bill of fresh hop harvest ale quite nicely. Fresh-hop bitterness has a nice bite to it, lasting quite awhile on the long finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, just a bit on the full side, oily, mouthcoating bitterness that never overwhelms the big hop flavor. Leaves you licking the back of your teeth a bit. Moderate carbonation. Very nice, something about it that I really enjoy.

Drinkability is good; this one reminds me a lot of my hometown brewery Yazoo's Hop Project line of IPA's. Pungent and green and a bit dank, very likable if you're into that side of things. I found it really very enjoyable.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a slightly cloudy orange color with 2 1/2 fingers of head.

Scent of fresh, oily hops and sweet sugary citrus, some fruits add a great balance between the hops and citrus.

Taste of caramel malts, bitter hops and sugars start with a great balance of flavor. Caramel malts linger along with a slight earthiness, some hoppiness in the finish with more malts. Balanced extremely well, but it's not enough to impress.

Mouthfeel is smooth and biting with good drinkability.

A great harvest ale to be sure, one of the better harvest ales I have had. Definitely worth a try, but the usual over-the-top Three Floyds hoppiness is absent from this one, but that just gives it a better balance.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Broo Doo from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.