Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial StoutBourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout

Wants: 1,585
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  15.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Dark Lord aged in bourbon barrels for one year. Recently has used a blend of barrels from Heaven Hill, but has also been Woodford Reserve and others in the past

Formerly known as Oak Aged Dark Lord.

(Beer added by: mcallister on 04-29-2006)
Reviews by Phatz:

I promised not to review anything from Dark Lord Day. There was too much happening. This is my one exception. I had glass after glass because several people kept saying wow that it too hot for me here you want to finish mine. Oh my God what were they thinking. This was the most easy drinking whiskey I have ever had. It is certainly closer to bourbon than to beer. The beer seemed much higher than 13% ABV to me but the hot alcohol had the softness of a 10 - 20 year old bourbon. WOW! Everyone who has been to my house knows that Woodford Reserve is my favorite go-to Bourbon. I am not makin this up for the sake of this review. I always have it on hand. Wouldn’t you know, the wonderful geniuses at Three Floyds that hand crafted this beer JUST FOR ME, picked my regular bourbon for aging this beer. Yes, This is Dark Lord, aged for a year in none other than Woodford Reserve Bourbon Barrels. Oh my God! I just about passed out this was so freaking good. I went week in the knees and I was not drunk.

Appearance: When I received this beer in a plastic cup there was no head on it. I poured it into my snifter glass and it stirred up very little head but in the glass it did showcase a nice tan head. Several times through drinking this beer various friend emptied there plastic cups into my snifter each time revitalizing a tiny bit of head in this otherwise murky black body.

Smell: Everything I love about bourbon and more flooded my nose. Rich scent of various woods, just like the Woodford Reserve I makes me think of my freshly moistened humidor. Dark roasted malts and barley, black coffer and thick bitter sweet chocolate and of course a wallop of vanilla oak bourbon flavors.

Taste: The biggest complaint people had on this hot day was the beer is too much like bourbon. If that is the biggest gripe, then gripe on my friends. I LOVE IT! This is absolutely everything I could ever want in a drink. It is the best of both world. It is what I love about two different drinks met in one glass. Yes the alcohol does not hide. So you sip the beer like you would any other liquor. It takes drinking it differently than a more “typical” beer but it is certainly worth it. The dark chocolate malts and fruits blend right into the woody vanilla oak and somehow it creates what feels like very layers of flavors and leaves your mouth with the feel of bourbon on the tongue and throat and face.

Mouthfeel: The swallow is very hot but the massive rich oily smooth feel coats every inch of your mouth and then some. I can feel the hot alcohol and warm boozy black grains making my face go numb as works its way from my tongue to my cheeks, my tonsils and up through my sinuses until my whole face seems to going flush enjoying the magnificence that this masterpiece exudes.

Drinkability: When I sit down with my favorite liquor I don’t start just putting them back one after another. Drinkability is the duration for which I can enjoy that drink. I would take it slowly, but I could enjoy this dink all day long.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, May 05, 2007

Dabeel, Jun 05, 2013

newk340, Feb 04, 2012
4.85/5  rDev +6.1%

Sampled this many times at Dark Lord Day the past few years. Always arrives in the plastic cup, but that doesn't detract from this massive brew. Impenetrable black, oily, viscous and thick with a layer of deep dark tan foam on top. Looks like 10K+ mile used motor oil. Aromas reek of deep dark malts with notes of coffee and chocolate all drenched in a wonderful, woody bourbon that jumps out of the cup to greet you. It's really hard to describe but it all comes together perfectly and the aroma is divine.

Sipping this brings you immediate warmth as the big, dense malts collide with the rich bourbon and wood notes. Chocolate, caramel, coffee and molasses all work in as it flows down. The brew is on the sweeter side but never becomes too sweet as it's nicely balanced with a solid bitterness. Finishes with lingering bourbon notes. Simply amazing.

Mouthfeel is big, viscous, chewy and heavy. It's so damn good, albeit a bit hard to drink when you are standing out in the sun. After the tasting tables, a cup of this is usually what does me in every Dark Lord Day. Still, given the chance I would drink this until I fell down. Spectacular stuff that I look forward to every year!

orbitalr0x, Jun 09, 2008

NWer, Jan 12, 2013
4.9/5  rDev +7.2%

The aroma was a bunch of oak and bourbon, smoke, and dark dried fruits. I Think the oak was the big player for most of the beer, until it had warmed enough. This it had tons of bourbon. Very syrupy an oily looking. Pitch black with a rich brown head. Coat the plastic cup it was served in nicely. Very well balanced. Everything blended quite nice. True to the original. Oak and vanilla. Roast and dark fruit flavors. Very rich, lush, and slick over the tongue. Long finish. Top notch.

tjthresh, Feb 09, 2008
4.9/5  rDev +7.2%

mctizzz, Mar 11, 2012
4.43/5  rDev -3.1%

Was pitch black in color with a brown head that retained very well and managed to leave some lacing behind. Nice aromas of vanilla and bourbon, with oak coming into play as well. There was also some roastiness, but the vanilla and bourbon seemed to be the strongest. Taste is a blending of vanilla, maple syrup, bourbon, wood, with a finish of some coffee and bourbon. Mouthfeel is thick and very smooth, the bourbon seems to almost lighten it up just a tad, however. Carbonation was on the lower side of medium. Great beer, and probably even more enjoyed in the winter months by a fire, but this sample was enjoyed out in the sun at DLD.

If you are desperate to find out what this beer is like, buy a Bourbon County Stout. BCS is 99% of what this beer is, IMO.

badbeer, May 03, 2007

olradetbalder, Nov 13, 2014

BrandonDZ, Apr 30, 2014

fo1ksguitar, Sep 03, 2012

MicroBeerMan1980, Jul 13, 2014

bpfrush, Nov 14, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +4.6%

Bottle (2012)

Thanks for opening this with me, MarkIntihar!

Nearly black, though very heavy and substantial looking in the glass. Shiny and oily, with a small brown head that leaves dots of stick.

Rich, inviting, monstrous aroma of bourbon (vanilla, oak, maple, alcohol hint), chocolates, and roast. This combines marvelously well. As this warms, there's just a hint of an off vegetable-like note, but it's certainly not distracting, especially because it tastes so good.

Any flaw found in the aroma is completley hidden in the flavor. Rich, layered notes of vanilla, bourbon barrel, molasses, chocolates, and roast combine for an incredilby drinkable, though incredibly significant, substantial barrel-aged RIS.

Full in body, thick, heavy, luscious.

One of the finest beers I've had.

ehammond1, Jul 15, 2012

Cynic-ale, Friday at 12:23 PM
4.75/5  rDev +3.9%

Bearded_Infamy, May 24, 2013
4.85/5  rDev +6.1%

Had a chance to try this the Tuesday after DLD in an empty FFF brewpub so I had a chance to write a proper review. Served in a stemless goblet that looked like a rounded old fashioned glass.

A - Black as anything. Super dark and absolutely no light can get through this one. Nice and thick as well as they body just coats the glass. There was a bit of a mocha colored head when it came out but as with any beer with this much head, it had no chance at all of surviving. Have to say it managed to leave a few bubbles on the surface that reminded me a bit of a black swamp that one would see in a horror movie. Have to say this did leave a lot of lacing for a beer that barely had any head as the whole little glass was spotted with lacing.

S - A huge nose that is filled with odors of vanilla, caramel, and toffee. Definitely can tell the effects of the BA as I could smell the cinnamon and whiskey spices even from far away. I was surprised to notice that I actually smelled some cherry and plum/prune dark fruits odors in there as well that gave this beer some added complexity.

T - Yikes, this is one beer that manages to be both flavor packed and yet subdued and balanced. At first, i get a big sweet, vanilla, toffee, and caramel flavors that roll in. After this and towards the end of the beer is when I start to notice how those spicy Woodford reserve barrels have affected this beer. Can just taste the effects of the oak and the spicy cinnamon and pepper it imparts. Also seemed to get a hint of cherry and plum in the beer as well as roasted cocoa and chocolate. Have to love having all that in there together.

MF - Just a bit thinner than I like my RIS's to feel. It does have really nice prickly feeling on the tongue that goes well with all of the spiciness that we find as a result of the oak aging.

D - Lets just say that this is a 13% huge stout and yet I have no trouble at all drinking the whole glass. This is a beer that just makes you want to have more of it. It is complex and flavor packed and I never felt overwhelmed or tired of drinking it. Each sip brought a new experience to me. Love that I got a chance to actually sit down and try it in an experience other than DLD because it let me really appreciate all that it is.

jeonseh, Apr 29, 2008

freehafe, Nov 07, 2014
4.93/5  rDev +7.9%

(Served in a short plastic cup)

A- This beer has an inky black body that stains the side of the cup after each sip the head is a thin cinnamon brown that turns to a small ring around the edge pretty quickly.

S- The powerful smell of oak and coffee roasted malt come through even as I lift the cup of the table. The complex smell is very smooth and blended but notes of bourbon and coffee come through with faint molasses and a hint of vanilla.

T- This slightly sweet black malt has flavors similar to the smell with bourbon and vanilla coming through with a nice wood flavor. The soft taste of coffee beans comes through at the finish.

M- This beer has a full creamy mouthfeel with no alcohol warmth or astringency.

D- This is what Dark Lord has been missing. I like DL for its big punch in the face flavor but the aged in oak DL is blended all those flavors an added some more mysterious layers. This was truly an amazing beer.

Thanks to Diesel for buying this round.

rhoadsrage, May 01, 2006
4.38/5  rDev -4.2%

Sampled at DLD '09

Pours jet black, no light, thick as motor oil. Oily and resinous on the glass. A moderate head forms and has some retention. Decent lacing throughout. Great depth from the barrel aging. Very woody and oaky with that wisp of vanilla. A very small smoky character in the back that I wish was bigger. The barrel really rounds the beer out, making the deeply roasted malts more enjoyable. Taste is much the same. The barrel blends everything very nicely. A touch of cherry comes out as it warms but it's nearly hidden behind all the other potent flavors. Body is fuller than full and is a bit chewy. Carbonation is somewhat low but manages to make the beer velvety nonethelss. This a very big beer. It drinks decent for the size but it's huge and wants you to know it. The barrel and aging does wonders for the beer.

pwoods, Apr 27, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +3.9%

dinovis, Jun 19, 2014

Reappropriated, Mar 24, 2014
4.15/5  rDev -9.2%

373/420

Pours very dark brown near black oil, very minimal heavily burnt over-roasted head. Oily consistency in the glass.

Smooth sweet aroma of port, umami-soy sauce, vanilla, dark chocolate, sweet oak, dark fruits and a touch of bourbon. Tastes follows the nose well - a lot of port, umami, dark fruit and chocolate. Very nice sweet vanilla and booze on the finish. Very vanilla forwards as it warms.

Beast of a beer, drinks like a port - kind of strange liquor. Do not pick up on nearly as much bourbon as I anticipated and hoped for, but it still works well. I anticipated this being much richer in espresso and dark chocolate considering the 2011 is the base. The PVW was significantly better

timc100, Sep 06, 2014

Deetz, Jul 18, 2014

twowheelssoar, Oct 16, 2013
Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub