1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial StoutBourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  15.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Dark Lord aged in bourbon barrels for one year. Recently has used a blend of barrels from Heaven Hill, but has also been Woodford Reserve and others in the past

Formerly known as Oak Aged Dark Lord.

(Beer added by: mcallister on 04-29-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next › last »
Ratings: 470 | Reviews: 170 | Show All Ratings:
SchmoTerp

Alabama

4.78/5  rDev +4.6%

All the hype is well deserved - one of my favorite and most complicated beers to date. This imperial stout was truly the thickest beer I've ever had and was certainly one of the most favorful. The most surprising characteristic was its smoothness in all of its boldness. It's unfortunate they will not bottle this one but then again, that's what's so great about it.

Loved it.

05-01-2008 01:09:05 | More by SchmoTerp
dboon

4.22/5  rDev -7.7%

PVW bottle. Joan Jett black pour with a chocolate head. Huge bourbon aromas. This version, like the ’10 DL in my opinion, is not thick and motor oil like as previous years. The taste was very sweet with lots of molasses, chocolate malts, vanilla, and very very muted bourbon flavors.

07-25-2011 20:46:00 | More by dboon
Greencoat

4.83/5  rDev +5.7%

Bourbon Barrel 2010 on tap at the FFF pub after DLD.

A: Thick and black. You could use it to lube up an old engine. Slowly dissipating, tan head. Legs like a supermodel.

S: Nice balance of bourbon, malt sweetness and a little coffee hiding in the background.

T: Wonderful balance of all things awesome. Bourbon most certainly played a supporting role in this one. Far less angular that non-BBA 2010, it doesn't have the eccentric bitter bite that it's little brother has. Nice boozy warmth and plenty of fig, coffee and toffee. Delicious.

M: Thick enough to brush your teeth with. Very low carbonation. The time in the barrel and this being a year old now make it nice and smooth.

O: I'm very impressed with this one. I was lucky enough to be at the brew pub right when they opened the day after DLD. It allowed me to really dissect this one without the craziness of the previous day's festivities surrounding me.

If you're ever in a situation in which you can try this guy out, take advantage of it. This was magical beer.

05-02-2011 21:46:09 | More by Greencoat
ADTaber

South Carolina

4.72/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draft at the FFF Brew Pub during DLD, poured into a snifter

A: pours black like spent motor oil with a thin layer of brown head that leaves virtually no lacing

S: bourbon, dark chocolate, vanilla, roasted coffee and malts, trace of dark fruit

T: similar to smell, semi-sweet chocolate, bourbon, a hint of vanilla, oak, roasted coffee and malt, a trace of dark fruit

MF: heavy, fairly low carbonation, leaves a syrupy coat on the palate

Overall: sweet, but not as sweet as the vanilla bean, quite tasty, definitely glad that I got to taste it

05-02-2011 01:12:27 | More by ADTaber
Cedromar

2.7/5  rDev -40.9%

So...yeah, I had one full glass of OA Dark Lord an hour ago. It's was horrendous. I got my toes crushed by the keg and then when I tasted it after waiting a couple hours for it, it just was a huge let down.

Looked pretty good, the smell was average of average DL, no Vanilla or Oak in the scent.

Taste- Wow, this sucks. I'm sorry, normal '09 DL = OMG. '09 OA DL=bad. No taste of Oak at all and overpoweringly sweet. The few drops I had of Kaggen and Surly Two beat the shit out of this brew.

Mouthfeel- Good, just like normal DL, thick and delicious.

Drinkability- It tasted awful, somewhat like '08 Darkness awful. I can see if people like it, but it had no taste of Oak at all. NONE. No wood. Vanilla bean DL was AMAZING though.

04-25-2009 21:10:43 | More by Cedromar
ajsdad06

4.55/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I think 6 oz. draft into a plastic cup @ DLD the past two years (rating is from 4/08).

This pours jet black with no real head to speak of; perhaps a few tan bubbles scattered about. It is so thick that it refuses to leave the sides of the cup.

The aroma has the big sweet caramel malt, roast,etc from the base Darklord and adds bourbon, light oak, anise, and hints at the abv.

The flavors are intense and include roasted malt, chocolate,coffee, caramel, vanilla,oak, bourbon, and anise. There is a dark chocolate like bitterness.

Definetly full bodied, with the flavor lingering for quite some time. It is worth the time away from the tasting tables to enjoy this special brew once a year.

07-20-2011 00:16:46 | More by ajsdad06
gbbass16

Missouri

4.78/5  rDev +4.6%

On tap at Dark Lord Day 2011. Thanks to the girl who traded me hers for a cigarette. She had no clue...

This was another epiphany for me. Pour is dark and black with virtually no head. Smell lights up your nose with burnt, sweet, and no heat. Mouthfeel is really think and wonderful. Taste is an expolosion of coffee, carmel, chocolate, coffee, dark wood. Awesome RIS!!! I am gald to have 4 bottles resting comfortably that I wont open until mid 2012. Every so often, I go to the closet just to stare at them....

11-24-2011 19:05:24 | More by gbbass16
stouts4me

Popped this total badboy at 1 of my retirement parties, and shared it with 8 friends and family;the taste floored everyone.

Aroma was strong, but "typical Dark Lord ".

Appearance very black with just a tip of dark tan around the edge, not too much foam, drops away fast.

mouthfeel is VERY typically Dark Lord, sweet, thick, deliciously so.

Taste - OMG - so frickin' good, wow ! we also had Rare, Choco Rain and others, this stood way taller than the rest, totally my favorite right now. Sweet, coats your mouth with delicious vanilla, cherry and bourbon flavors, not at all hot after sitting for almost a year.

If I can trade for more, I won't think twice about trading away most anything for more of this monsterously flavorful beast.

02-13-2013 05:34:47 | More by stouts4me
monkeytoe

4.55/5  rDev -0.4%

(Notes from 2006 Dark Lord release day)

Served in a small opaque plastic cup.

Black with the smallest ruby-port hints with a small old-gold persistent head.

Smell: amazing. The anticipation from the smell is just beyond imagining--my mouth is watering. Dark dried fruit, coffee, caramel, cocoa, and some hops bitterness. Maybe some fennel and licorice?

Everything in the nose is in the taste plus a rich syrupy dark soy sauce like savoriness. Some bourbon- and vanilla extract- like alcohol, especially in the out breath. Some oak-y barrel and vine threaded through the deep rich flavors. Complex bitterness with hops, coffee, and unsweetened chocolate sharing the spotlight.

Thick, velvety, oily mouth feel, but not too tongue-coating--I don't feel the need for a tongue scraper after few minutes like some thicker beers leave me.

Here is where I will be controversial. I don't want a bunch of this. It is definitely in the plus 70 cocoa chocolates and port camp in that a small amount satisfies. I want it often, just not glasses of it.

05-10-2006 01:28:21 | More by monkeytoe
Steamhead

Kentucky

4.15/5  rDev -9.2%

The '09 was, in my opinion, a step down from the regular Dark Lord and two steps down from Vanilla Bean Dark Lord. This seem the least polished of the three. The nose was hotter, the mouthfeel had lost some of the rich creaminess in exchange for a bitter wood tannin, and just did not leave a great impression. Still a solid beer that most breweries would sell their soul to produce, but for the perfection that is expected with Three Floyds it was good, but not great.

05-14-2009 11:35:53 | More by Steamhead
lungboy

4.58/5  rDev +0.2%

Sorry to say, I did not like this as much as the Dark Lord in a bottle. The sharpness imparted by the oak aging was almost a non-sequitur amid the usual hearty, strong, nourishing flood of savory liquor that is the Dark Lord. It was almost like having a Dark Lord Boilermaker, and that just doesn't make sense. Maybe with a few years (5 or so) it would be an improvement, but since I didn't enter the lottery for the bottle of Oak Aged Dark Lord, I may never know.

All this aside, it was one of the best beers I have had the honor to sip.

05-06-2006 05:41:12 | More by lungboy
Synergy87

Wisconsin

4.65/5  rDev +1.8%

Bottle was staring at me in the fridge as I was out of beer. I'm going to attempt to review this beer as a beer advocate instead of a drunkard, because I'm half way done with this godly brew. Yes it is that good. Here we go.

2012 Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord: 241/420

A: Black as sin

S: Bourbon, alcohol

T: Bourbon, no coffee flavors here (almost 4 months old, so no surprised there), sweet sugary fruits, wood

M: Absolutely my favorite part next to taste for this beer, it's so damn ridiculously smooth, I can't describe it, and the carbonation is very minimal, but perfect for the style. Absolutely love the mouthfeel on this one, smooth, smooth, smooth.

O: I can't wait to get tickets for Darklord Day 2013 to have more of this lovely brew. I am looking forward to getting a bottle of the vanilla bean version next year, as this years vanilla bean DL on tap was just amazing. If you get the chance to trade, try this fresh, or try this at all, I highly recommend it. Amazing. Godly.

07-14-2012 03:50:09 | More by Synergy87
Blursimarsi

Sweden

4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

(Bottle, thanks to SQNfan) If Blursimarsi cannot come to Dark Lord Day, then Dark Lord Day has to come to Blursimarsi. Pours compact dark brown to black. The aroma is fat with oak/bourbon up front bringing tones of vanilla, coconut, light smoke and alcohol. In addition, lots of malt roasts with dark chocolate and chocolate ice cream as the most notable but there is also some room for coffee/espresso. Sweet sugary and dark fruity with tones of molasses, maple syrup, rum raisins and prunes. Hints of raspberries, nuts and celery. The flavour is medium to heavily sweet, light to medium bitter and medium to heavily roasted/burned. Bourbon, vanilla, coconut, dark chocolate, rum raisins, burned caramel, some coffee, mint-ish alcohol warmth, molasses and light smoke. The mouthfeel is extremely fat and oily yet smooth, soft and velvety with a balanced sticky ending. Aftertaste of bitter chocolate, coffee, bourbon hop dryness and molasses. Full bodied. Extreme but well balanced. Wow!

10-04-2008 03:34:24 | More by Blursimarsi
tmgiddings

Indiana

4.43/5  rDev -3.1%

On draft at Dark Lord Day 2010 - Pours jet black with a thin wispy, chocolate head. Aroma is complex- vanilla and bourbon dominate with mollasses, chocolate, and soy sauce. Taste is similar - mollasses, chocolate, bourbon, coffee, and alcohol, Mouthfeel is both oily and creamy. My favorite imperial stout.

05-03-2010 23:50:46 | More by tmgiddings
Beerkovich

4.78/5  rDev +4.6%

This would be my favorite beer of all time if it weren't recently dethroned by its brother, Vanillabean. One of the best liquids on the planet. Every year I build it up, but it just never ceases to blow me away.

Appearance: black tar, with a thin mocha head that soon dissipates into psychedelic swirls--coats the sides of the cup with a translucent film that does not budge. LOOK AT IT!!!

Nose: HAHAHAAA!!! All I can do is laugh. What kind of BEER is this?!?! Toasted oak, bourbon, molasses, vanilla, butter toffee, still a trace of dark fruit, and then just so much more that I just can't even describe--maybe the byproducts of yeast reactions that I don't understand--I don't know.

Flavor: Holy god. This stuff brings tears to your eyes. It just makes you shake your head and wonder how the hell something like this is even made by humans. This is in the same tier as Napa reserve cabernets and Ardbeg single malts. In the words of my Uncle, upon trying it for the first time two years ago, "HOLY SHIT THERE ARE FLAVORS FLYING AT ME FROM ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!" Again, dark chocolate, buttery charred oak, bourbon, vanilla, intelligentsia espresso, yeast flavors, mineral flavors, molasses, port, fruit, but listing these words simply do not do it justice. A lot of oak aged beers have a similar flavor profile to this....but just do not even approach the mind-boggling sophistication of this elixir. Astoundingly good.

Mouthfeel: Heavenly. Like a mature, top-tier wine or a mature, barrel strength whiskey--oily, viscous, creamy, silky,....but way heavier!

Drinkability: what more can I say? I still vividly recall the first time I tried this at Dark Lord Day '06. I had never tried any version of DL before, and while waiting in line to pick up my bottles, a friend of a friend walked up to me and handed me the rest of his cup and I swear I do not remember anything that happened for the next five minutes. Time slowed down, others' voices became distant...I had an out of body experience. All I could do was shake my head, flail my arms, and grin like an idiot.

And as others have attested, somehow the vanilla bean version is better...so do I have to change one of my 5's to 4.5?

04-29-2009 23:57:05 | More by Beerkovich
tyee

4.95/5  rDev +8.3%

(This was tasted on tap at the DL release day 2006. It was served in a plastic cup and I transferred it to a pint glass).

The head was small and redish tan with some swirls on the top. The appearance of the beer was densely black.

The smell was of coffee, oak, bourbon, chocolate, rasins and vanilla. Faint hint of hops.

The taste was heavenly! I savored each sip. Rich chocolate, bourbon, rasins and coffee with a slight bitterness at the back end.

The mouthfeel was thick and not too carbonated. This coated the tongue nicely.

Drinkability was wonderful. The aging did this 2005 vintage DL well. The flavors have all blended nicely and the bourbon gives you a real kick in the palate.

I would have to say that this is the best barrel aged beer I have ever had. I was privilaged to try this one. Way to go Nick and all the folks at Three Floyds!!

05-17-2006 15:08:11 | More by tyee
slimstout

Iowa

4.9/5  rDev +7.2%

Enjoyed at Dark Lord Day 2010.

Appearance: Black, thick, no head to speak of.

Smell: Luscious.

Taste: As I drank this, I honestly thought that it was a taste of Heaven itself. Malty. Vanilla. Chocolate. Coffee. Clearly oak-aged. Absolutely heavenly.

Mouthfeel: Sooo smooth and thick. It reminded me of silk or velvet.

Drinkability: If not for the ABV I could drink it for all eternity.

05-06-2010 21:42:12 | More by slimstout
kdesch

4.43/5  rDev -3.1%

I was at DLD 2008 and tasted the Bourbon and the vanilla bean DL on tap.

The Bourbon barrel DL, was really amazing. It is not something I would drink every day (even if I could). The mouthfeel is what really stands out about this beer, it is very coating and penetrating, a very different sensation from most other beers. The taste and smell are all wonderful, as I could remember the taste and smell for hours after drinking the beer. (that or it dried up on my nose and no one told me).

Put simply if you get a chance to drink a beer like this you should.

04-28-2008 01:37:33 | More by kdesch
DonKruse

4.95/5  rDev +8.3%

I'm a newbie to craft beers but went to a festival with some guru friends of mine and they let me try some of this. This beer has a full and very smooth simple flavor. I don't know enough about beer to say what the flavors were but I wanted to say even as a newbie I can still appreciate this beer.

03-12-2012 01:37:25 | More by DonKruse
« first ‹ prev | 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next › last »
Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub