2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial StoutBourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  15.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Dark Lord aged in bourbon barrels for one year. Recently has used a blend of barrels from Heaven Hill, but has also been Woodford Reserve and others in the past

Formerly known as Oak Aged Dark Lord.

(Beer added by: mcallister on 04-29-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 470 | Reviews: 170 | Show All Ratings:
kmeves

4.35/5  rDev -4.8%

On tap at GTMW '09: Pours an opache black with a small dissipating tan head. Aroma is strong oak, fruity sweet (plums and raisins) and very rich. Flavor is strong oak yet very sweet with dark fruit, rich chocolate, coffee and a nice undertone of flower, herbs and grapefruit. Finish is very long and warm with molasses and dark fruit. Large bodied, quite a bit more alcohol apparent than the non oak version. Still one of the best beers I have ever tasted.

08-11-2009 17:54:42 | More by kmeves
alcstradamus

Washington

4.65/5  rDev +1.8%

Sampled at the 2009 Great Taste of the Midwest

Pours like liquid sludge, when I was finished with this I couldn't even pour the remaining few drops out because they were stuck to the walls of the glass like maple syrup. Huge dark fruit nose just like regular Dark Lord, with the oak also being prominent. Taste was very sweet, the oak stands out and unfortunately has a bit of a harshness to it, so I couldn't rate the taste a 5. Full bodied and thick, I prefer the regular Dark Lord to this version though just because of the harshness. My 3 oz. was more than enough to satisfy.

UPDATE 4/26: Had a chance to try the newest batch of this beer and I must say, it was MUCH better this year. The harshness from the oak was gone, and all the flavors melded together very well. I'm still not sure it is an improvement on the base beer, but it is good enough that I have to bump the taste score up to a 5

08-09-2009 18:09:45 | More by alcstradamus
alleykatking

Indiana

4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

Finally getting around to reviewing my notes from DLD. Had on tap of course!

A- Pours a thick dark motor oil black color. I held this up to the light and it had no accent to it at all....just dark black. It had about a half finger mocha/tan head that wasn't very impressive and went down rather quickly. Lacing was sticky on the sides of the glass but I think regular DL beats this one out in the appearance catagory.

S- This has the same highlights as the DL with the coffee and chocolate I think dominating along with some darker fruits and something else I can't place my finger on. Some distinct oak and bourbony undertones come and go when I sniff at this along with faint vanillia aromas as well. This beer is making my mouth water just smelling it.

T- Big oaky...bourbon taste right upfront that powers with the chocolate and coffee taste of the DL. The balance is maybe a little off but that is only opinion. I get hints of the vanillia blending almost perfect with a brown sugar taste I get. This beer is big and it knows it. A heavy hitter with different tastes around every turn. Can taste the alcohol a little more with this one.

M- This is a heavy hitting mouthfeel. Not a huge carbonation leaves this beer knocking on your palate until you force it to leave. Leaves a nice amount oaky, coffee, chocolate taste on the tounge. This beer feels good in the mouth still after being so big and heavy.

D- This beer is sadly for me a one beer and move onto the next for me. It is good but so damn heavy that it feels like I'm drinking a meal. Plus there was two other DL's I had to try while I was talking with friends.

07-08-2009 21:54:09 | More by alleykatking
Steamhead

Kentucky

4.15/5  rDev -9.2%

The '09 was, in my opinion, a step down from the regular Dark Lord and two steps down from Vanilla Bean Dark Lord. This seem the least polished of the three. The nose was hotter, the mouthfeel had lost some of the rich creaminess in exchange for a bitter wood tannin, and just did not leave a great impression. Still a solid beer that most breweries would sell their soul to produce, but for the perfection that is expected with Three Floyds it was good, but not great.

05-14-2009 11:35:53 | More by Steamhead
Kegatron

4.72/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap @ the Three Floyds brewpub on 4/25/09 during DLD. Served in a snifter.

Pours as black as an oil slick into the glass with a burnt and charred mocha colored tan head. Standard D look for this, except that the head looks a tad thin and more foamy than the regular Dark Lord. The aroma is just thick with bourbon warmth and pervasive accents of wood and vanilla that lie on top of the RIS notes of chocolate, coffee, molasses, and dark fruit tang, giving an extra level of hugeness to this bouqet. Wow, this is big in the nose!

The taste starts with massive barrel notes of boozy bourbon and oaky accents that is more than an equal for the massive sweetness and roast of the Dark Lord. The bourbon never seems to get overpowering to me because the original flavor profile was so huge to begin with. Finishes with a tangy, boozy, and dry feel that warms the palate and sticks in the mouth. The mouthfeel is hugely chewy and viscous with most of the heat from the beer appearing to come more from the bourbon notes and less from the ABV of the body itself. A warming, steady sipper here.

Well there's certainly nothing understated about this beer. Bourbon-aged Dark Lord is what you want and bourbon-aged Dark Lord is what you GET! Luckily I greatly enjoy both and found a good balance between the two aspects, despite just the overall mammoth flavors and strength going on here. I greatly enjoyed this.

05-06-2009 17:01:47 | More by Kegatron
brdc

4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

Had this on tap at DLD 09.

Pitch black, motor oil, no highlights, and a thin but fluffy dark tan head that holds for a little bit and leaves some lacing that coats the side of the glass.
Aroma is quite impressive, dark fruits abounding, molasses, coffee but not too much coffee, chocolate, bread and alcohol. Oakiness and vanilla, perhaps some extra heat as compared to the regular version.
It is a very thick, oily beer as expected, complex, with coffee, bittersweet chocolate, sweet caramel, molasses, fruits, vanilla but some noticeable heat, brandy like, which does not blend perfectly.
This is an incredible beer, but IMHO, one step down from regular DL. The oak aging did not match perfectly. Still a fantastic beer.

05-04-2009 02:34:39 | More by brdc
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

4.88/5  rDev +6.8%

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: approx 45 - 50 degrees
VINTAGE 2009 (Had @ DLD)

Much like Dark Lord, this one is solid black. It has a small head of tan foam that dissipates to a ring aound the edge of the surface. Lacing is a touch better than the 'regular' version, but still not very much. It's still very thick and viscous, sliding down the sides of the glass.

This is where it steps out away from it's brother. Nice big oakiness joins the chocolate and coffee notes. Dark fruits are still present, just a little more subdued. Wonderful bourbon-like notes. The vanilla is brought a little more forward. Nice caramel toffee notes.

Taste follows the 'regular' version, as well. This one brings along nice notes of charred oak, vanilla and bourbon. Molasses comes forward a touch. Lots of brown sugar notes. Slight hint of tobacco.
The oak aging really mellows the flavor profile out, making this one not nearly as sweet as the 'regular' version and giving it a drier finish.

While this one is still full-bodied and creamy and yes, thick, it loses just a touch, comparatively. If I weren't comparing it to it's brother it would score perfect anyway, but this one is slightly less, in that sense. In the 'regular' DL review, I said it deserved to be rated with a 7 for mouthfeel. This one still deserves a 6.

While this beer is incredible and totally worth the wait to get the chance to try it, I think that I actually prefer the 'regular' DL just slightly better. That shocks me, because I love barrel-aged brews, in general. I just like the big, bold, malty sweetness in the other one, which is toned down in this one.
Also, the booziness is more prominent in this one, which is not a bad thing, but it's better when you don't know that it's there.

05-01-2009 17:37:49 | More by coldmeat23
brewdlyhooked13

4.8/5  rDev +5%

Enjoyed on-tap at DLD.

Poured in a little plastic cup, I would have transferred it to my sampling glass but a few of us bought several glasses of each to pass around, so it stayed in the plastic.

The stuff is rich and black, just a wisp or two of mocha around the edge.

It smells richly of roasted malts, espresso, and the with the certainty of oak. Not as stunning as the vanilla variant but good in its own right.

Tastes like Dark Lord would - rich with dark malt and bitter chocolate, but with an oak edge that is very nice. The wood pushes the sweetness of the beer back a little, providing some nice balance. Lots of espresso and booziness on the swallow, and a long finish of the same. The thickness of the beer helps it hang around, also subduing carbonation somewhat.

An awesome part of the day, we had one and ordered three more.

05-01-2009 02:16:25 | More by brewdlyhooked13
Damian

Drank on-tap at Dark Lord Day 2009
Served in a plastic cup

The beer poured super thick and dense, like used motor oil. Not a ray of light penetrated this sludgy mass. A small, frothy, clingy, coffee-colored head capped the liquid.

The aroma was simply amazing. Sweet, robust and complex with strong indications of oak and bourbon. Lots of vanilla-like sweetness. Some brown sugar and caramel notes appeared as well. Boozy without being overly alcoholic.

The taste was just as astounding as the smell. Sweet, rich malts came through strong up front. Coffee-like. Deep and dark yet super smooth and not overly roasty. Bourbon and molasses were also noticeable. Lots of vanilla and oak too. Dark fruits appeared in the center. The lingering finish was oaky and whiskey-like. Brown sugar notes were apparent. Overall, incredibly interesting and quite complex.

The mouthfeel was ridiculously good. Ultra-heavy and creamy with a fine, mild carbonation. If there is a more rich and dense brew out there, I have yet to try it.

Drinkability was simply off the charts. The beer was incredibly smooth and balanced. Sweet for the style without being cloying. At 15% ABV, it drank like something half its strength.

This beer alone made my 1,000 mile journey to Dark Lord Day 2009 worth it. Simply put, Oak Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout is the best beer to ever pass my lips.

05-01-2009 01:07:55 | More by Damian
SykDoc

4.97/5  rDev +8.8%

Had on tap at DLD '09 and reviewing notes.

Poured into a plastic cup. It pours a thick, motor oil black. A minimal dark brown head forms and quickly reduces to almost nothing. The left over oil slick on the glass is great.

The aroma was fantastic. There were nice levels of oak mixed with the usual suspects of intense dark chocolate and sweet malts. There was also a nice mixture of tobacco. Mild coffee notes.

The flavor was fantastic. This was a nice blend of the standard dark lord with a healthy, but not overwhelming oak taste along with a pleasant bourbon that rounds out the complexity.

The mouthfeel as expected, thick and smooth. It has a low level of carbonation that highlights the flavor superbly. Full bodied and somewhat sticky at the finish with a nice level lingering on the tongue.

This was fantastic. I love Dark Lord and this is comparable and I believe I am actually rating it better. I would love to compare this head to head with the original. It is very drinkable and about the only thing that may hinder drinkability is the strength but I will getting my hands on this again in the future, extremely good.

04-30-2009 01:24:21 | More by SykDoc
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.8/5  rDev +5%

A huge thanks goes out to an unnamed BA who helped me out with this one. Quite possibly the biggest think on my bucket list of beers. I have been waiting far too long to try this one. Served chilled and poured into a pint glass.

The pour was black as night. Small head of tan faded quickly leaving behind only the slightest bit of brown clinging to the sides of the glass. Seriously black as night on the pour here though with an intensly dark look to it. The aroma was wonderful. Tons of oak notes here hit you first with the sweet molasses and tobacco notes following up nicely. Smooth, subtle and wonderfully complex flavor here. Not the harsh oak, I found this to be very close in flavor to the 03 BA speedway, mature would be the best word for how it tasted. Really very well done. Very sweet tasting, especially on the finish here with notable light vanilla touches that mingled well with the oak notes and really full feel on this one, about as thick and creamy as a beer can get. Alcohol noted, but not overwhelming.

Overall this was soo worth the wait for me. A wonderfully complex beer that was accented perfectly. A different beast the the DL itself, this is something I would love to see come around much more often.

04-30-2009 00:54:17 | More by mikesgroove
Beerkovich

4.78/5  rDev +4.6%

This would be my favorite beer of all time if it weren't recently dethroned by its brother, Vanillabean. One of the best liquids on the planet. Every year I build it up, but it just never ceases to blow me away.

Appearance: black tar, with a thin mocha head that soon dissipates into psychedelic swirls--coats the sides of the cup with a translucent film that does not budge. LOOK AT IT!!!

Nose: HAHAHAAA!!! All I can do is laugh. What kind of BEER is this?!?! Toasted oak, bourbon, molasses, vanilla, butter toffee, still a trace of dark fruit, and then just so much more that I just can't even describe--maybe the byproducts of yeast reactions that I don't understand--I don't know.

Flavor: Holy god. This stuff brings tears to your eyes. It just makes you shake your head and wonder how the hell something like this is even made by humans. This is in the same tier as Napa reserve cabernets and Ardbeg single malts. In the words of my Uncle, upon trying it for the first time two years ago, "HOLY SHIT THERE ARE FLAVORS FLYING AT ME FROM ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!" Again, dark chocolate, buttery charred oak, bourbon, vanilla, intelligentsia espresso, yeast flavors, mineral flavors, molasses, port, fruit, but listing these words simply do not do it justice. A lot of oak aged beers have a similar flavor profile to this....but just do not even approach the mind-boggling sophistication of this elixir. Astoundingly good.

Mouthfeel: Heavenly. Like a mature, top-tier wine or a mature, barrel strength whiskey--oily, viscous, creamy, silky,....but way heavier!

Drinkability: what more can I say? I still vividly recall the first time I tried this at Dark Lord Day '06. I had never tried any version of DL before, and while waiting in line to pick up my bottles, a friend of a friend walked up to me and handed me the rest of his cup and I swear I do not remember anything that happened for the next five minutes. Time slowed down, others' voices became distant...I had an out of body experience. All I could do was shake my head, flail my arms, and grin like an idiot.

And as others have attested, somehow the vanilla bean version is better...so do I have to change one of my 5's to 4.5?

04-29-2009 23:57:05 | More by Beerkovich
nrbw23

4.97/5  rDev +8.8%

A- Looks just like the regular DL. Pitch black with a brown head.

S- Smells like the normal DL with a more bourbon, nutty and wood smell. I think this one smells good.

T- Follows the regular version with a bigger bourbon taste and nice amount of wood as well.

M- Huge and thick and low carbonation.

D- Sipper just like all the other Dark Lords and easy to drink.

I had all three of these pretty much back to back and gonna give the edge to the vanilla bean but I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. Nice work!

Scored a couple of glasses of this beast again at DLD '10 and its a great brew.

04-29-2009 18:51:01 | More by nrbw23
Thorpe429

4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

On tap at Dark Lord Day 2009.

A: Very dark with a small tannish head.

S: Sweet malt with bourbon, oak, dark chocolate, coffee, and dark fruits.

T: Much the same as the nose, but with more of the oak presence coming through, especially as it warms.

M: Very heavy with low carbonation.

D: Excellent. The taste only gets better as it warms--one of the best sippers around.

04-29-2009 02:11:46 | More by Thorpe429
MPLS

4.3/5  rDev -5.9%

From memory...10 oz pour @ the brew pub, so this one was in glass and not plastic. I remember them saying it was from '08.

A: Big, bold, and black like DL. More head from this guy than the vanilla bean DL from what I remember.

S: Big bold roasted malt, bourbon, chocolate, molasses, alcohol.

T: The barrel adds what I picked up as bourbon and some dryness akin to oak barrels. This guy felt bigger than any of the other DLs, ABV is probably the same, but bourbon characteristics made it seem higher. Great up front roast, not as much sweetness as the other variants of DL, but big dry finish.

M: Thick and viscous, would not have it any other way.

D: Another way to celebrate DLD and will try this guy again next year. Big beers are wanted by my taste buds.

04-28-2009 06:44:48 | More by MPLS
dukedevil0

4.45/5  rDev -2.6%

Sampled at Dark Lord Day '09 in a clear plastic cup.

A: Pours like a black hole, with no light getting through and some copperish/khaki colored bubbles that settled down to almost nothing.

S: Smells very similar to the original of course with some additions; major chocolate, slight roast, but more vanilla/butterscotch flavors similar in most oak aged beers

T: just like the scent, the flavor was also obviously very similar to its regular DL brethren; chocolate big time, slight roast, and the addition of some vanilla, butterscotch with much more of a boozy flavor finish. I don't know if this had ANY bourbon addition to the aging process or if they were just normal barrels or oak chips or what, but it definitely seemed like there was some bourbon in this.

M: Super creamy and coated everything it touched. Low carbonation, similar to a syrup but it matched the rest of the beer excellently.

D: I really enjoyed the flavor and addition of different tastes from the oak aging, although it seemed to increase the boozy alcohol flavor big time which sort of cancels out each other. If they could keep the flavor additions and knock down the alcohol, then this would easily overtake the regular DL for me.

04-27-2009 02:48:00 | More by dukedevil0
pwoods

4.38/5  rDev -4.2%

Sampled at DLD '09

Pours jet black, no light, thick as motor oil. Oily and resinous on the glass. A moderate head forms and has some retention. Decent lacing throughout. Great depth from the barrel aging. Very woody and oaky with that wisp of vanilla. A very small smoky character in the back that I wish was bigger. The barrel really rounds the beer out, making the deeply roasted malts more enjoyable. Taste is much the same. The barrel blends everything very nicely. A touch of cherry comes out as it warms but it's nearly hidden behind all the other potent flavors. Body is fuller than full and is a bit chewy. Carbonation is somewhat low but manages to make the beer velvety nonethelss. This a very big beer. It drinks decent for the size but it's huge and wants you to know it. The barrel and aging does wonders for the beer.

04-27-2009 01:05:06 | More by pwoods
younger35

3.63/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this yesterday at Dark Lord Day '09. It was so nice to be able to get a glass of Oak Aged Dark Lord and Vanilla Bean Dark Lord, plop down on a couch and compare/review them. Great job by FFF this year. Drank from a classy plastic cup.

Appearance- Pours a jet black with a sort of soft, creamy dark tan head that sticks around for quite some time. A weak cap and thick collar remain the rest of the beer leaving a light bit of lacing (copied from the Vanilla Bean Dark Lord, they were exactly the same).
Smell- Loads of deeply roasted malts, a bit of sweet molasses and some very woody oak. The smell isn't necessarily harsh but the oak is fairly pungent. Some vanilla and milk chocolate along with some licorice and a touch of smoke. Some dark fruits as well but the oak really is fairly dominant.
Taste- I don't necessarily think that the barrel aging really helps Dark Lord (unlike the Vanilla Bean). I find it to be semi astringent with almost too much barrel. Plenty of vanilla still though and a bit of bitter roasted coffee. The sweetness seems to be quite a bit more advanced that the regular Dark Lord as well. Tons of bourbon soaked cherries, prunes, dates, figs and any other overly ripe dark fruit you can think of. Finishes with a touch of smoke and a bit of boozy oaky bourbon like quality.
Mouthfeel- Big and rich and creamy with a smooth silkiness and a bit of boozy astringency.
Drinkability- Uhh... Out of the three Dark Lords this one was by far my least favorite. Just not a big fan of the barrel aging which is weird because I usually enjoy the added complexity. Maybe I was just a bit spoiled by the Vanilla Bean? Either way glad I got to try it.

04-26-2009 21:02:20 | More by younger35
Sean9689

4.58/5  rDev +0.2%

On tap @ DLD '09.

Pours black with a brown head with nice lacing along the cup. Smell is amazing, you just want to eat it! Chocolate, malts, oak, roasted nuts. Very rich on the nose, I was excited what it's going to taste like! Taste is just as good. Very rich, sweet, and epic. Mouthfeel is think/rich, perfect for a RIS.

04-26-2009 16:03:10 | More by Sean9689
MasterSki

4.1/5  rDev -10.3%

I've had this two years in a row in a plastic cup pour. I took some brief notes this year, so here it goes - a lot of this will be complementary to my review of Dark Lord (when I finally get around to reviewing the regular variety). Some of this text is borrowed from my Vanilla-bean review, where appropriate.

A - Think quick-dissolving mocha foam, nice ring of lace, pitch black with a hint of red at the edges. It's about all I expect from a 13% RIS.

S - Oak-barrel, but not the stupid amount I experienced in oak-aged Behemoth. There's also a touch of vanilla and almond that I get from most good barrel-aged brews, plus the cadre of "regular" Dark Lord smells. It's different from regular Dark Lord, but not a huge improvement.

T - I found the oak-aging to simplify the taste of Dark Lord in a way that wasn't altogether positive. The oak-aging really brings out the booziness and heat and smooths out a lot of the really interesting flavors from the regular Dark Lord. It's still pretty delicious, but just slightly acerbic.

M - Thick, near milk-shake consistency, with tons of residual stickiness, and low carbonation. This is the way RISes should be down - other brewer's take note.

D - This is a mild step in the wrong direction - takes the least drinkable elements of Dark Lord and amplifies them a little bit. It's hot, palate-beating, and not really much more interesting than the regular variety. Worth trying, but not worth waiting hours in line to try.

04-26-2009 04:16:23 | More by MasterSki
Cedromar

2.7/5  rDev -40.9%

So...yeah, I had one full glass of OA Dark Lord an hour ago. It's was horrendous. I got my toes crushed by the keg and then when I tasted it after waiting a couple hours for it, it just was a huge let down.

Looked pretty good, the smell was average of average DL, no Vanilla or Oak in the scent.

Taste- Wow, this sucks. I'm sorry, normal '09 DL = OMG. '09 OA DL=bad. No taste of Oak at all and overpoweringly sweet. The few drops I had of Kaggen and Surly Two beat the shit out of this brew.

Mouthfeel- Good, just like normal DL, thick and delicious.

Drinkability- It tasted awful, somewhat like '08 Darkness awful. I can see if people like it, but it had no taste of Oak at all. NONE. No wood. Vanilla bean DL was AMAZING though.

04-25-2009 21:10:43 | More by Cedromar
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

4.68/5  rDev +2.4%

Black, soulless body with a thin, dark tan head. Everything the original Dark Lord is, both in aroma and taste, but now given a hearty soak in bourbon -- something I highly recommend. Strong bourbony accents blend in well with the other strong flavors. Thick, somewhat sticky body with almost nil carbonation. Enjoyed at this year's DLD, it really helped take the edge off standing around for hours upon hours in a line.

11-21-2008 17:17:31 | More by ChainGangGuy
egajdzis

4.33/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured an opaque black color with a small, quickly diminishing, dark tan head that left sticky tan lacing on the glass. Aroma of bourbon, roasted malts, chocolate, smoke, nuts, and dried fruits. Taste of sweet chocolate, roasted malts, mocha, maple syrup. brown sugar, smoke, bourbon, with a fair amount of alcohol coming across. A Dark Lord mouthfeel should be a little more vicious, but either way, it's a pretty solid beer... I still prefer the cask of regular DL I had at the Maproom in 04.

11-09-2008 23:45:21 | More by egajdzis
hopdog

4.45/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured a dark black with reddish/brown edges and an averaged sized off white head. Aromas of wood, bourbon, chocolate, roast and dark fruits, Tastes of wood, stronger bourbon, vanilla, roast, chocolate, brown sugar, espresso, and molasses. Medium alcohol finish. I do like bourbon so I enjoyed the bourbon quality to this.

11-06-2008 14:35:29 | More by hopdog
Blursimarsi

Sweden

4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

(Bottle, thanks to SQNfan) If Blursimarsi cannot come to Dark Lord Day, then Dark Lord Day has to come to Blursimarsi. Pours compact dark brown to black. The aroma is fat with oak/bourbon up front bringing tones of vanilla, coconut, light smoke and alcohol. In addition, lots of malt roasts with dark chocolate and chocolate ice cream as the most notable but there is also some room for coffee/espresso. Sweet sugary and dark fruity with tones of molasses, maple syrup, rum raisins and prunes. Hints of raspberries, nuts and celery. The flavour is medium to heavily sweet, light to medium bitter and medium to heavily roasted/burned. Bourbon, vanilla, coconut, dark chocolate, rum raisins, burned caramel, some coffee, mint-ish alcohol warmth, molasses and light smoke. The mouthfeel is extremely fat and oily yet smooth, soft and velvety with a balanced sticky ending. Aftertaste of bitter chocolate, coffee, bourbon hop dryness and molasses. Full bodied. Extreme but well balanced. Wow!

10-04-2008 03:34:24 | More by Blursimarsi
Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub