Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial StoutBourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout

Wants: 1,482
Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  15.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Dark Lord aged in bourbon barrels for one year. Recently has used a blend of barrels from Heaven Hill, but has also been Woodford Reserve and others in the past

Formerly known as Oak Aged Dark Lord.

(Beer added by: mcallister on 04-29-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
hayesez

4.95/5  rDev +8.3%

Was definitely looking forward to having a few glasses of the oak-aged Dark Lord again this year. This was my favorite the last few years and being that one can only have it once per year, I was getting anxious! Judging by the number of people at the event several hours before the gates even opened, we figured it would behoove us to get in there quickly!

Poured into the cheap plastic cup, it really just doesn't do this beer any justice. It is still a nice looking pour - thick, oily, black, and messy. Just enough juice on the pour to create a slight frothy head. I have a feeling this would be quite nice in a snifter, but I digress.

Ah yes - wood and bourbon. Really doesn't smell that much like standard Dark Lord, but damn impressive. Sweet smelling, with some syrup or maple and some chocolate. I really like what the barrel has done to this beer.

And every bit as impressive on the palate as I remember. As expected from the smell, there is quite a bit of bourbon presence that is not around in the standard version of Dark Lord. I'm not as good at detecting the woodiness in the taste, but the smoothness given by the barrel-aging process is amazing. This is by far my favorite of the three Dark Lords - if not for being served in a plastic cup, it would certainly receive a perfect score. Very thick, chewy, and oily - I love the way it coats the mouth and hangs around long after the beer is gone. One of the detractors of Dark Lord over the past couple of years has been the sweetness. The oak-aging replaces that sweetness with a more mellow smooth taste - this is why it is so amazing.

Tough to rank the drinkability on a three ounce pour - which is why it is imperative that one gets several glasses! And even after several glasses, I'm lining up for more. I still contend that Three Floyd's should bottle about 50 bottles of this per year, and then produce 50 "golden tickets" that are different than the normal ones. A true Willy Wonka experience. If you get one of the special golden tickets in the mail, you can redeem it for a bottle of the oak-aged. Something to think about Nick.

Regardless of the chaos of Dark Lord Day (which I truly enjoy), the oak-aged Dark Lord alone is enough to bring me back every year. A masterpiece.

Consumed: 4/24/2010

05-10-2010 06:07:29 | More by hayesez
slimstout

Iowa

4.9/5  rDev +7.2%

Enjoyed at Dark Lord Day 2010.

Appearance: Black, thick, no head to speak of.

Smell: Luscious.

Taste: As I drank this, I honestly thought that it was a taste of Heaven itself. Malty. Vanilla. Chocolate. Coffee. Clearly oak-aged. Absolutely heavenly.

Mouthfeel: Sooo smooth and thick. It reminded me of silk or velvet.

Drinkability: If not for the ABV I could drink it for all eternity.

05-06-2010 21:42:12 | More by slimstout
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

Had this on tap at DLD 2010 in the brewpub.

Served into a tumbler/snifter glass.

Served with 1/2 finger of creamy tan head. Color is just like vanilla bean dl: pitch black.

Aroma: Straight up oak, chocolate, and malty. Rich. Big caramel sweetness. Subtle aroma, but awesome. Very well done.

Taste: sweet malts with lots of caramel and cream. Some toffee flavors. The oak is present with a big wood flavor (yes I just typed big wood). Some raisins and molasses. Chocolaty goodness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, warming, and creamy. Full bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. Hot aftertaste. Ends malty and warm.

Overall, not bad at all. Very fine beer. The VB is better, but I am not complaining with this one. Very drinkable and I am glad I got a chance to try this one.

05-04-2010 14:20:47 | More by mothman
tmgiddings

4.43/5  rDev -3.1%

On draft at Dark Lord Day 2010 - Pours jet black with a thin wispy, chocolate head. Aroma is complex- vanilla and bourbon dominate with mollasses, chocolate, and soy sauce. Taste is similar - mollasses, chocolate, bourbon, coffee, and alcohol, Mouthfeel is both oily and creamy. My favorite imperial stout.

05-03-2010 23:50:46 | More by tmgiddings
jrallen34

4.43/5  rDev -3.1%

I had this on tap at dl into a 12oz plastic cup. The beer is black as expected with a medium tan head. The aroma is nice with the oak dominating the front, nice notes of vanilla and sweet chocolate. The taste is also lots of oak but not overpowering or annoying. It really adds a lot to the original dl but not quite as good as the vanilla.

05-03-2010 20:21:49 | More by jrallen34
womencantsail

4.38/5  rDev -4.2%

A: The pour is viscous and black with just a bit of tan foam around the edge of the glass.

S: A definite oak and bourbon presence to the nose without the intense sweetness Dark Lord usually has. Certainly some sweet chocolate and vanilla with a bit of dark fruits.

T: The oak aging gives this one a bit of a tannic character and some bitterness that the original does not exhibit. The bourbon, vanilla, and oak flavors are quite strong but still allow the chocolate, roast, licorice, and dark fruits to show.

M: The body is thick and chewy with a low, smooth carbonation.

D: I like this one much better than Dark Lord. The oak aging here has helped to balance the beer out and mitigate the overwhelming sweetness.

05-02-2010 22:15:30 | More by womencantsail
vacax

4.28/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours a viscous black, oily with coating properties from both malt and alcohol. A few bubbles around the rim of the glass are compact and stick around. Aromas waft up of dark malts, maple, dark fruit, oak, umami, bourbon, and mineral elements. Most of the overly sweet malt characters from Dark Lord are here replaced by thick oak with spirit notes and a bit saltier than the regular liquid dessert.

The flavor brings the same loads of dark malts to the tongue, in addition to being brownie batter a lot of oak pops up, minteral, even tealike and oxidized flavors pop up a bit. I could see how some people would prefer this to regular Dark Lord, as the oak changes a lot of the sweetness into an oaky more savory experience, though molasses and malt is still here. Body is full and viscous with a coating feeling on the palate and a palpable low-moderate carbonation to match.

Interesting twist on Dark Lord, not as sweet, but I think I prefer the sweeter malts to the oaky twist in this case. The flavor is intense, which is fine if the taste is perfection, but this isn't quite it.

05-02-2010 18:08:36 | More by vacax
bierenutz

4.7/5  rDev +2.8%

I had the pleasure of having this on tap at the FFF brewpub on DLD, and immediately after having a DLVB, and this was better.
A-Black, nuff said there. Out of the tap and "rested" there was no head or lacing to comment on.
S-Rich and complex with bourbon, roasted malts, oak and chocolate aromas with hints of vanilla and dark fruits.
T-If someone made a mocha flavored bourbon, it would taste like this. Very, very nice and the flavors linger and remind you why this beer is so highly rated.
M-Creamy, thick and low carbonation.
D-Excellent beer and one of my all time favorites. Well worth the wait and deserving of the hype.

05-01-2010 23:23:46 | More by bierenutz
chaz01

3.33/5  rDev -27.1%

Had a couple 3 oz servings at 2010 DLD in a plastic cup. Of the 3 variations of Dark Lord that I tried, this was my favorite.

A: Jet black oily in color with a thin brown head.

S: Bourbon and oak flavors dominate the aroma

T: More bourbon and oak in the taste, with notes of chocolate and alcohol.

M: Thick and syrupy mouthfeel with a dry cocoa finish. More alcohol flavors in the finish.

D: I realize drinkability and availability are different, but given the beer is only available 1 day a year for a 3 oz serving, I'm not sure how drinkable you can rate the beer. Saying that it pairs really well with my Italian Sub that I got standing in line doesn't quite sound right.

05-01-2010 17:42:38 | More by chaz01
AgentZero

4.72/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Had this on tap at Dark Lord Day 2010, poured into a plastic cup. Nicely black with some brown lacing sticking to the sides, I kind of think the plastic cup adds to the lacing effect, but it looked very cool.

S - It smells like Dark Lord, but with some nice subtle wood flavor added. Great chocolate, bourbon, oak smells with the normal Dark Lord greatness.

T - I love Dark Lord, especially the 2010 batch, and this is an improvement. Great cocoa, caramel, and a touch of espresso and huge oak influence that is perfectly done. Hints of vanilla and a bit of bourbon. Wow.

M - Thick, full bodied, coats the tongue.

D - So heavy, it would be hard to drink tons of, but all things considered, could do a lot more of this than anyone reasonably should be able t.

04-29-2010 22:45:10 | More by AgentZero
khumbard

4.88/5  rDev +6.8%

A 10-12oz sample poured into a little clear plastic cup amongst about 9000 people waiting in line. I was too late to get any VBDL, but was very excited to get to try this one. Appearance is definitive Dark Lord, a small dark tan head. The nose on this one is awesome. Oak and bourbon up front, with dark lord sweetness behind. Chocolate and dark fruit. The taste follows the smell and really delivers. The barrel comes through strong with bourbon and vanilla. The oak really smooths out all of the complex dark lord flavors. Coating and thick mouthfeel, that lingers until you can have another sip. Dark Lord is an incredible beer, but this is an unbelievable beer. One of the best beers I've had the pleasure of having. Can't wait until next year.

04-28-2010 00:20:34 | More by khumbard
PrinceDarren

4.8/5  rDev +5%

I had the pleasure of trying both the Oak Aged and Vanilla Bean Dark Lord at DLD 2010. While I would describe the VB DL as a kinder, gentler version of regular Dark Lord, the Oak Aged version is every bit as brutally massive (and then some).

The Oak Aged Dark Lord is simply a more complex version of the real deal. The added wood character slaps you around with yet one more characteristic compounding something that is already very complex.

As with the VB DL, the only advice I would recommend for further improvement is to allow this to mellow out with some age. Being freshly tapped from a new keg obviously doesn't allow this - but it would be cool to have a bottled version of Oak Aged Dark Lord to lay down for a few more months.

In all, I like the Oak Aged Dark Lord that much more than the regular version. I hope they produce more next year!

04-27-2010 22:07:44 | More by PrinceDarren
billab914

4.22/5  rDev -7.7%

Got to have a small glass of this at Dark Lord Day 2010. The pour was pitch black with some dark chocolate lacing clinging to the sides of the glass. It's one of the darkest and thickest looking stouts I think I've ever seen. It left a little lacing on the glass but not a lot.

The aroma had a big vanilla and oak wood presence with a good amount of bourbony alcohol flavor to it as well. It also had dark chocolate, roasted malts and a little dark fruit to it. The barrel added a very nice complex aroma to it, it was a little strong but didn't overwhelm the beer.

The taste also has a large oak, vanilla and bourbon presence to it. The bourbon flavor gave it a warming alcohol finish. Also present were some dark roasted and chocolate flavors but they definitely took a backseat to the barrel flavors.

The mouthfeel was nice and thick with low carbonation. Very nice mouthfeel on it considering I like thick and heavy stouts. Drinkability was decent although the alcohol and barrel characteristics were a little strong. The 4-5 oz glass that I got was plenty for me.

Overall a very nice modification of Dark Lord. I enjoyed the glass I had but probably wouldn't have gotten another one, especially if this was a beer available all the time. It felt like the barrel characteristics were a little overpowering and became the main flavor of the beer instead of Dark Lord being the main flavor with some barrel characteristics to enhance the complexity. Don't get me wrong it was delicious and great for the serving size they gave out, just couldn't justify any higher scores for it based on that.

04-27-2010 14:42:44 | More by billab914
woosterbill

Connecticut

4.58/5  rDev +0.2%

My buddy snagged a sample of this for me, along with regular DL for both of us, while I was standing in line for bottles. Thanks Beast!

On-tap in the parking lot into a plastic cup, then transferred to my tasting tulip.

A: Viscous black body with some nice dark brown foam. Looks amazing.

S: Very sweet, very potent aroma of roasted malts (lots of chocolate, some coffee), bourbon, vanilla, and oak. Lovely.

T: Follows the nose, with restrained booze overseeing a luscious medley of sweet, malty, oaky, bourbony goodness. Awesome.

M: Smooth, thick, creamy body. Sticky, but enjoyable, with expectedly low carbonation.

D: Super sweet and super strong, but the oak aging makes this tasty enough to make me want far more than the small sample. Considering how many high-test beers I've sampled today, though, that probably isn't the best idea.

Notes: This is an awesome, delicious beer, and is far more impressive than this years fresh regular DL. While I look forward to seeing how that ages (and I have very high hopes), there's no question that today this is the more delectable beverage. I'm still kicking myself for not getting in line for the Vanilla Bean DL right away, though. Here's hoping I can make it back next year!

Cheers!

04-27-2010 14:36:20 | More by woosterbill
DmanGTR

4.43/5  rDev -3.1%

Had this on tap at DLD 2010. Review from notes on 4/24/10.

A - Poured a deathly black, lovely dark brown hue in the light with a scant tan head. No lace remained. 4.0

S - Big, roasty, and lots of caramel. Hint of vanilla and charred oak in the background. Touch of figs and dark fruit as well. 4.5

T - This robust beer is definitely a highlight of the day. The intense cocoa, caramel, and roasted barley mingles with the delicate tones of vanilla and wood, finishing extremely rich with an everlasting dark chocolate and plum finish. 4.5

M - Not as viscous as I had thought it would be, but a lovely richness with moderate carbonation. 4.0

D - For the abv, highly drinkable. 4.5

04-27-2010 14:32:10 | More by DmanGTR
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

4.75/5  rDev +3.9%

6 oz tap pour into a clear plastic cup at Dark Lord Day 2010.

A - The syrupy pour is totally black with a tiny ring of dark tan foam. Like VBDL, it's not much to look at. It's got even less foam on this pour.

S - The aroma is very heavy of roasted malts and strong oak wood. A small chocolate and alcohol hint comes out with a warming finish. Bold presence and deep nose.

T - It starts with a big oak flavor with tons of chocolate and roasted malt flavors going on. The alcohol is smooth and kept under control by a well-balanced barrel finish.

M - Oak-Aged DL is just as thick and viscous as VBDL with a rich, full body and smooth, throat-coating finish. The alcohol adds a soft warming sensation to the finish too.

D - For how rich and full-bodied this bold RIS is, it's a winner that deserves it's recognition. I think the balance of oak flavor without the pesky and cliché alcohol burn in this RIS is very well done. Nicely drinkable for it's potency too.

04-27-2010 04:09:05 | More by BeerFMAndy
cpetrone84

4.97/5  rDev +8.8%

Had on tap at the pub of three floyds on Dark Lord Day 2010.

A-pours a completely black, opaque, motor oil looking liquid that is thick and viscous looking. Tan colored head that is tight, thick and creamy. Some light retention and lace

S-the nose is amazing, bourbon forward and right up front. Notes of vanilla and oak set in next with some nice dark chocolate and notes of espresso.

T-The bourbon and vanilla oakiness comes in right up front. Tons of dark chocolate set it next melding with the vanilla from the oak, chocolate brownie. Sweetness takes over, but in a soft well orchestrated way. Anise turns to dark cherries and plums with a hint of alcohol in there to let you know how big this is.

M-this is the biggest stout I've ever had. It is huge, somehow bigger than any dark lord and bigger than the vanilla bean that I sipped right next to this. It should be higher than a five if possible. It is extremely smooth and creamy, soft on the palate, this needs a knife to get through it in the best of ways.

D-this is the best stout I have ever had. This is also the best beer I have ever had and is in a league of it's own. Beers could potentially get a higher rank with me b/c of the typically lack of head retention and lace of Dark Lord; but it will take quite a brew to ever top this!

04-27-2010 02:35:13 | More by cpetrone84
nickd717

4.85/5  rDev +6.1%

On tap at DLD, finally! Brings me up to 95/100 on the Best of BA, but what a moving target that list is. Maybe I was a little drunk when I had this (ok, let's change that "maybe" to a "definitely"), but this one really stopped me in my tracks and made me appreciate just what the hell I was drinking: one of the greatest beers of all time!

Pours as black as the BeerAdvocate website background, and as thick as Aunt Jemima syrup. A well-formed brown head sits on top and leaves some lacing on the glass...er...plastic cup.

The nose on this one is out of this world. So much going on. It smells like a rich chocolate cake, along with coffee, roastiness, candied fruits, oak, and bourbon. Even puts regular Dark Lord to shame here.

Flavor is similarly amazing. The sweetness of Dark Lord really mellows out with the oak aging. Lots of milk and dark chocolate, coffee, molasses, brown sugar, and candied plums and raisins. Oak and bourbon blend seamlessly and do not overwhelm in the least bit.

Incredibly full-bodied and rich on the palate. Carbonation level is medium-low, exactly as appropriate for a beer like this.

Overall, wow, this is unbelievably good. I'll knock it down a half-point on the drinkability just because it's so overwhelming, but as drunk and full as I was, I had no problem taking down the 6oz pour. (Wish it hadn't been so easy!) Hope I get to have this awesomeness again at some point in the future.

04-26-2010 22:43:05 | More by nickd717
bamadog

Kentucky

4.47/5  rDev -2.2%

I was sure to get my sample of this at Dark Lord Day 2010 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Review is from notes taken on 4/24/2010 and poured from the tap to a plastic cup (blasphemy, I know, but it's what they were offering).

Appearance: Comes to me very black and viscous looking (I should note that it's not nearly as thick as the '08 DL that I was able to sample - didn't get to review though as my pour was not quite deep enough to get everything out of it); has about a 1/4 finger of deep dark brown head that fades quickly to nothing other than a thin ring around the surface of the same color; the body is, of course, entirely opaque (I think this actually feeding off of any light around it) and it leaves behind no lacing.

Smell: About what I would expect, actually, and it's awesome. Tons of smoke, wood (with a bit of a sweet vanilla aspect to it from the barrel aging); big alcohol that is a little bourbonesque in nature; lots of dark, burnt and roasty malts and bit of a deep and dark, ripe fruity (cherry?) aspect hiding out in there.

Taste: Pretty much matches the nose to a "T." Lots of that smokey and woody aspect and followed with a hint of sweet vanilla; that big alcohol is definitely present and it's quite hot (I have no idea what year this was made, but if I had to guess I would say it's relatively fresh); again those nice dark, burnt and roasty malts provide tons of flavor and that cherry-like flavor hiding out continues to do so and makes the occasional appearance between the other, more dominant flavors.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy, with tons of thick sticky coating holding all over the mouth that allows the nice roasty and bitter flavors to linger for what seems an eternity. In the end, it's a tad gritty, but I like that in a stout, and one of this magnitude certainly does not disappoint.

Drinkability: The flavors and smells alone are enough to keep this high, despite the very present ABV. Also, the mystique and rarity of this beer alone would perhaps keep me coming back for more if it was something that was actually more available. I'm pleased that I got to try it though.

04-26-2010 18:32:57 | More by bamadog
abrand

4.55/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Brought to me in line at the 2010 DLD while in line by a very generous gentleman.

The oak aged DL pours jet black with a small ebony head that quickly fades and leaves no lacing. Smell is chocolate, sugar and LOTS of oak. The wood characteristics dominate all other aspects of this beer. The taste is similar to the nose with Oak up front, some chocolate malts and nuts in the middle, followed by a wood finish. Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy. Great tasting stout but I agree with others in that the oak may be just too much. It is a great cousin of Dark Lord but not sure I could handle much more than the small sample I received.

04-26-2010 03:03:11 | More by abrand
rhinos00

Colorado

4.33/5  rDev -5.3%

Finally got to try this one. On-tap at DLD '10.

A- Poured a dark, chocolate brown color. Looked very thick, like motor oil. Produced minimal amount of head. Dissipated instantly.

S- Sweet malts with molasses. The sweetness in the aroma was very potent. The background had a slight hint of vanilla, bourbon and tons of oak.

T- Much like the aroma, actually exactly like the aroma. Sweetness upfront from various malts and molasses. Some bourbon and vanilla in there as well. The finish was dominated by an overwhelming amount of oak. Really wanted to give this a 4.25, but couldn't...so I rounded up.

M- I loved the mouthfeel of this beer. Thick, chewy and viscous. Coated the palate very well.

D- I'm glad they served this in a small 6 oz. glass (could of been 8 oz.). If I had any more it would have been very difficult to put down.

Overall, a very good beer. That being said, at $9 a pour, I will pass from now on...much better bourbon, oak-aged beers out there at a better value.

04-26-2010 01:01:53 | More by rhinos00
levifunk

Wisconsin

4.97/5  rDev +8.8%

Had this at DLD '10.

I was walking a bit warm by the time I got to try this, but had it a second time side by side with DL. I don't know if I would have been able to compare them unless I had them next to each other. DL is amazing, but the OA is even better. The oak aging does wonders to tone down the sweetness of DL...making it more drinkable IMO.

04-25-2010 21:44:15 | More by levifunk
sweemzander

4.05/5  rDev -11.4%

Had on tap @ DLD 2010! Huge thanks to BeerFMAndy for snagging a glass of this for me!

(A)- Pours thick & black as night. Produced a quickly dissipating brown head.

(S)- A rich dense molasses with a rather potent woody bourbon-like burn

(T)- Rich, with a big woody & bourbon-like sweetness with some dark cocoa & molasses. Very similar to the smell.

(M)- Dense, but thinner than the vanilla bean variation. Has a good carbonation level. A big, almost dry woodiness, yet has a bitterness too from the roasted malts.

(D)- A good stout. Not as successful as their vanilla bean variation in my opinion, but has its own special qualities the other ones do not. Unique and interesting on its own. I would also like to see how this one ages, but yet again, this is only available one day a year!

04-25-2010 20:20:16 | More by sweemzander
hooliganlife

Missouri

4.15/5  rDev -9.2%

2010 dark lord day pour

dark as night, no head what so ever, no retention, no lacing, just thick black stout.

tons of oak with subtle hints of vanilla and booze. light scents of dark fruits

mild sweetness, tons of oak which gave off a nice subtle vanilla favor. bits of molasses. the roasted malts took the back seat and the hops were also overpowered by the brute oak flavor.

very thick, a bit syrupy, mouth coating

this was good, very good, but the least favorite of the dark lords. the oak was a bit powerful so too much of this and i would be wanting to move on.

04-25-2010 01:55:03 | More by hooliganlife
hawks10

4.75/5  rDev +3.9%

Served on tap at Dark Lord Day 2010...about a 6 ounce pour, enough to give me a good idea about this beer...

Pours just like regular Dark Lord...thick, black, oily and viscous, little bit of dark brown head...

Smells of chocolate, sweet roasted malts, brown sugar, molasses, a bit of vanilla and some bourbon and wood aromas as well...

Tastes just as it smells, chocolate and molasses, some vanilla and bourbon and a tiny bit of drying oak, not much though. Really enjoyed the complexity of this beer and enjoyed the fresh Dark Lord on tap...

Thick and creamy, chewy and coating...full bodied with good carb...

Another winning variation of Dark Lord, slightly prefer the vanilla bean though...

04-25-2010 00:07:52 | More by hawks10
Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub