Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout
No picture uploaded.

Wants: 1,709
3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  15.00% ABV

Beer added by: mcallister on 04-29-2006

Dark Lord aged in bourbon barrels for one year. Recently has used a blend of barrels from Heaven Hill, but has also been Woodford Reserve and others in the past

Formerly known as Oak Aged Dark Lord.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 594 | Reviews: 173
4.8/5  rDev +5.3%

I actually enjoyed this beer today at the brewpub. They still had one keg left when they opened this morning. The menu said that it was 2010 DL aged for one year in Heaven Hill bourbon barrels. The nose was of sweet chocolate, vanilla, and light bourbon. The vanilla and bourbon were predominant but neither was overpowering. The flavors were nice and superbly well meshed. The chocolate and bourbon finished quite well together. It was exceptionally smooth, perfect in body. This beer was fantastic.

4.8/5  rDev +5.3%

I had the pleasure of trying both the Oak Aged and Vanilla Bean Dark Lord at DLD 2010. While I would describe the VB DL as a kinder, gentler version of regular Dark Lord, the Oak Aged version is every bit as brutally massive (and then some).

The Oak Aged Dark Lord is simply a more complex version of the real deal. The added wood character slaps you around with yet one more characteristic compounding something that is already very complex.

As with the VB DL, the only advice I would recommend for further improvement is to allow this to mellow out with some age. Being freshly tapped from a new keg obviously doesn't allow this - but it would be cool to have a bottled version of Oak Aged Dark Lord to lay down for a few more months.

In all, I like the Oak Aged Dark Lord that much more than the regular version. I hope they produce more next year!

4.8/5  rDev +5.3%

This would be my favorite beer of all time if it weren't recently dethroned by its brother, Vanillabean. One of the best liquids on the planet. Every year I build it up, but it just never ceases to blow me away.

Appearance: black tar, with a thin mocha head that soon dissipates into psychedelic swirls--coats the sides of the cup with a translucent film that does not budge. LOOK AT IT!!!

Nose: HAHAHAAA!!! All I can do is laugh. What kind of BEER is this?!?! Toasted oak, bourbon, molasses, vanilla, butter toffee, still a trace of dark fruit, and then just so much more that I just can't even describe--maybe the byproducts of yeast reactions that I don't understand--I don't know.

Flavor: Holy god. This stuff brings tears to your eyes. It just makes you shake your head and wonder how the hell something like this is even made by humans. This is in the same tier as Napa reserve cabernets and Ardbeg single malts. In the words of my Uncle, upon trying it for the first time two years ago, "HOLY SHIT THERE ARE FLAVORS FLYING AT ME FROM ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!" Again, dark chocolate, buttery charred oak, bourbon, vanilla, intelligentsia espresso, yeast flavors, mineral flavors, molasses, port, fruit, but listing these words simply do not do it justice. A lot of oak aged beers have a similar flavor profile to this....but just do not even approach the mind-boggling sophistication of this elixir. Astoundingly good.

Mouthfeel: Heavenly. Like a mature, top-tier wine or a mature, barrel strength whiskey--oily, viscous, creamy, silky,....but way heavier!

Drinkability: what more can I say? I still vividly recall the first time I tried this at Dark Lord Day '06. I had never tried any version of DL before, and while waiting in line to pick up my bottles, a friend of a friend walked up to me and handed me the rest of his cup and I swear I do not remember anything that happened for the next five minutes. Time slowed down, others' voices became distant...I had an out of body experience. All I could do was shake my head, flail my arms, and grin like an idiot.

And as others have attested, somehow the vanilla bean version is better...so do I have to change one of my 5's to 4.5?

4.78/5  rDev +4.8%

Enjoyed on-tap at DLD.

Poured in a little plastic cup, I would have transferred it to my sampling glass but a few of us bought several glasses of each to pass around, so it stayed in the plastic.

The stuff is rich and black, just a wisp or two of mocha around the edge.

It smells richly of roasted malts, espresso, and the with the certainty of oak. Not as stunning as the vanilla variant but good in its own right.

Tastes like Dark Lord would - rich with dark malt and bitter chocolate, but with an oak edge that is very nice. The wood pushes the sweetness of the beer back a little, providing some nice balance. Lots of espresso and booziness on the swallow, and a long finish of the same. The thickness of the beer helps it hang around, also subduing carbonation somewhat.

An awesome part of the day, we had one and ordered three more.

4.78/5  rDev +4.8%

4.77/5  rDev +4.6%

A huge thanks goes out to an unnamed BA who helped me out with this one. Quite possibly the biggest think on my bucket list of beers. I have been waiting far too long to try this one. Served chilled and poured into a pint glass.

The pour was black as night. Small head of tan faded quickly leaving behind only the slightest bit of brown clinging to the sides of the glass. Seriously black as night on the pour here though with an intensly dark look to it. The aroma was wonderful. Tons of oak notes here hit you first with the sweet molasses and tobacco notes following up nicely. Smooth, subtle and wonderfully complex flavor here. Not the harsh oak, I found this to be very close in flavor to the 03 BA speedway, mature would be the best word for how it tasted. Really very well done. Very sweet tasting, especially on the finish here with notable light vanilla touches that mingled well with the oak notes and really full feel on this one, about as thick and creamy as a beer can get. Alcohol noted, but not overwhelming.

Overall this was soo worth the wait for me. A wonderfully complex beer that was accented perfectly. A different beast the the DL itself, this is something I would love to see come around much more often.

4.77/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2012 Bottle with about 10 months of age on it. Bottle # 532/688

A - Black Body, very thin brown head.

S - Bourbon, oak, vanilla, raisin, plum, brown sugar.

T - Bourbon, oak, lots of vanilla, tons of dark fruits, hint of coffee, very sweet finish.

M - Very thick, syrupy. Little carbonation.

Fantastic beer. Very reminiscent of Black Tuesday, both really boozy & sweet, though this is more balanced.

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

My sticky sin stained hands hold tight to a 10oz. plastic cup at Darklord day 2008. Used oil black with no head just a skim of dark tan ring on the edge of the cup. Nose is big and thick with tons of deep dark fruit notes and malty sweet port. Thick and really brooding, this is what blackness should taste like. The song "Paint it black" comes to mind. Incredible complexity from dark rich sweetness and smooth long dryness on the end of the tongue. Very port like as expected. This would challange Raspberry Eisbock for my favorite after dinner beer. An attractively brooding mouthfeel. Surprisingly drinkable for its strength.

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.