1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial StoutBourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  15.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Dark Lord aged in bourbon barrels for one year. Recently has used a blend of barrels from Heaven Hill, but has also been Woodford Reserve and others in the past

Formerly known as Oak Aged Dark Lord.

(Beer added by: mcallister on 04-29-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next › last »
Ratings: 470 | Reviews: 170 | Show All Ratings:
hayesez

Indiana

4.95/5  rDev +8.3%

Was definitely looking forward to having a few glasses of the oak-aged Dark Lord again this year. This was my favorite the last few years and being that one can only have it once per year, I was getting anxious! Judging by the number of people at the event several hours before the gates even opened, we figured it would behoove us to get in there quickly!

Poured into the cheap plastic cup, it really just doesn't do this beer any justice. It is still a nice looking pour - thick, oily, black, and messy. Just enough juice on the pour to create a slight frothy head. I have a feeling this would be quite nice in a snifter, but I digress.

Ah yes - wood and bourbon. Really doesn't smell that much like standard Dark Lord, but damn impressive. Sweet smelling, with some syrup or maple and some chocolate. I really like what the barrel has done to this beer.

And every bit as impressive on the palate as I remember. As expected from the smell, there is quite a bit of bourbon presence that is not around in the standard version of Dark Lord. I'm not as good at detecting the woodiness in the taste, but the smoothness given by the barrel-aging process is amazing. This is by far my favorite of the three Dark Lords - if not for being served in a plastic cup, it would certainly receive a perfect score. Very thick, chewy, and oily - I love the way it coats the mouth and hangs around long after the beer is gone. One of the detractors of Dark Lord over the past couple of years has been the sweetness. The oak-aging replaces that sweetness with a more mellow smooth taste - this is why it is so amazing.

Tough to rank the drinkability on a three ounce pour - which is why it is imperative that one gets several glasses! And even after several glasses, I'm lining up for more. I still contend that Three Floyd's should bottle about 50 bottles of this per year, and then produce 50 "golden tickets" that are different than the normal ones. A true Willy Wonka experience. If you get one of the special golden tickets in the mail, you can redeem it for a bottle of the oak-aged. Something to think about Nick.

Regardless of the chaos of Dark Lord Day (which I truly enjoy), the oak-aged Dark Lord alone is enough to bring me back every year. A masterpiece.

Consumed: 4/24/2010

05-10-2010 06:07:29 | More by hayesez
DonKruse

4.95/5  rDev +8.3%

I'm a newbie to craft beers but went to a festival with some guru friends of mine and they let me try some of this. This beer has a full and very smooth simple flavor. I don't know enough about beer to say what the flavors were but I wanted to say even as a newbie I can still appreciate this beer.

03-12-2012 01:37:25 | More by DonKruse
jegross2

4.95/5  rDev +8.3%

Reviewing the 2012 Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout from Three Floyds Brewing Company out of Munster, Indiana. This is bottle number 4 out of 420. We consumed this bottle as part of a Dark Lord (and Behemoth) vertical to celebrate the then-impending, now-official marriage of my friend Scott Nicholas. Thanks again for bringing the bottle Scott, and congratulations!
Score: 99

2012 vintage bottle served in a stemmed wine-style glass and enjoyed on 09/19/12.

Appearance: Pours an ink black color with a thin layer of beige head that settles to a ring around the glass. Poor lacing, but excellent cling and retention with what little lacing there is. 4/5

Smell: Smooth bourbon, milk chocolate, oak, dark chocolate and a surprising amount vanilla (though there is less vanilla than the Bourbon Barrel Aged Vanilla Bean Dark Lord). Brown sugar and dark fruit too. There is the faintest hint of coffee in the nose. Huge doses of chocolate and smooth bourbon are present in the aroma. A slight roastiness and more oak comes out as the beer warms up. The aroma is bold and perfectly balanced. 5/5

Taste: Brown sugar, sweet bourbon and light vanilla. The sweetness is nowhere near the level of the base beer, which greatly lends to its drinkability. This tastes a lot like the Bourbon Barrel Aged Vanilla Bean Dark Lord, but with less vanilla character -- shocking, right? The Bourbon Barrel Aged Vanilla Bean Dark Lord seemed sweeter than this variant as well, though I would not characterize either variant as remotely being "too sweet." Molasses and raisin flavor too. No coffee. Like the nose, the flavor is bold and balanced. There is a light alcohol warming effect on the palate in the finish, as might be expected from a 15% ABV beer, but this beer is far from boozy. To the contrary, it is smooth and easy to drink. 5/5

Mouthfeel: Viscous and full-bodied with minimal carbonation. The beer is sweet, slightly sticky and creamy on the palate. 5/5

Overall: This beer's only real flaw is it's cost. As with all barrel aged Dark Lord variants, this beer cost $50 retail and was only obtainable at retail pricing by having a winning scratch off lotto ticket that each person got after buying a ticket to Dark Lord Day (and even then, you had to claim one of the four variants before they ran out). Those who struck out on the Dark Lord Day lotto would have to pay an even higher premium via trade or otherwise, as this beer sold for $300+ on eBay before eBay halted alcohol sales earlier this year. This beer is substantially less sweet than the base beer, but it's still a sweet (just not "overly sweet") brew.

Recommendation: This is one of those few highly hyped, hard-to-get, extra-premium priced beers that absolutely delivers, but there are plenty of comparable beers out there that cost half as much (or less). This is one to seek out and try for the purpose of ticking, but I recommend trying to acquire one with a group of friends to share to ease the cost.

Pairings: Drink this decadent beer as it's own digestif. It's heavy enough to suffice.

Cost: $50 for a 750 ml bottle.

11-27-2012 19:46:46 | More by jegross2
mcallister

4.97/5  rDev +8.8%

Dark dark brownish black like a sludge oil. Very gooey almost with a prevelant tan head and thick sticky lacing.

Coffee, vanilla, bing cherry, cocunut, toffee, toasty oak, and bitter cocoa. No alcohol present in the aroma, but a nice malt background.

Huge beer, delicious cappuccino, fresh coffee grounds, toasty coconut, malty caramel, and dark choclate, heavy cream, honey, mollasses. Massive and uncannily silky smooth. Slight alcohol burn in the chest. Somewhat high is residual sweetness but not coyingly so. Could drink this monster all day long if the high alcohol doesn't get you first. Nearly a perfect beer.

04-29-2006 19:11:00 | More by mcallister
nrbw23

4.97/5  rDev +8.8%

A- Looks just like the regular DL. Pitch black with a brown head.

S- Smells like the normal DL with a more bourbon, nutty and wood smell. I think this one smells good.

T- Follows the regular version with a bigger bourbon taste and nice amount of wood as well.

M- Huge and thick and low carbonation.

D- Sipper just like all the other Dark Lords and easy to drink.

I had all three of these pretty much back to back and gonna give the edge to the vanilla bean but I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. Nice work!

Scored a couple of glasses of this beast again at DLD '10 and its a great brew.

04-29-2009 18:51:01 | More by nrbw23
SykDoc

Wisconsin

4.97/5  rDev +8.8%

Had on tap at DLD '09 and reviewing notes.

Poured into a plastic cup. It pours a thick, motor oil black. A minimal dark brown head forms and quickly reduces to almost nothing. The left over oil slick on the glass is great.

The aroma was fantastic. There were nice levels of oak mixed with the usual suspects of intense dark chocolate and sweet malts. There was also a nice mixture of tobacco. Mild coffee notes.

The flavor was fantastic. This was a nice blend of the standard dark lord with a healthy, but not overwhelming oak taste along with a pleasant bourbon that rounds out the complexity.

The mouthfeel as expected, thick and smooth. It has a low level of carbonation that highlights the flavor superbly. Full bodied and somewhat sticky at the finish with a nice level lingering on the tongue.

This was fantastic. I love Dark Lord and this is comparable and I believe I am actually rating it better. I would love to compare this head to head with the original. It is very drinkable and about the only thing that may hinder drinkability is the strength but I will getting my hands on this again in the future, extremely good.

04-30-2009 01:24:21 | More by SykDoc
levifunk

Wisconsin

Had this at DLD '10.

I was walking a bit warm by the time I got to try this, but had it a second time side by side with DL. I don't know if I would have been able to compare them unless I had them next to each other. DL is amazing, but the OA is even better. The oak aging does wonders to tone down the sweetness of DL...making it more drinkable IMO.

04-25-2010 21:44:15 | More by levifunk
cpetrone84

4.97/5  rDev +8.8%

Had on tap at the pub of three floyds on Dark Lord Day 2010.

A-pours a completely black, opaque, motor oil looking liquid that is thick and viscous looking. Tan colored head that is tight, thick and creamy. Some light retention and lace

S-the nose is amazing, bourbon forward and right up front. Notes of vanilla and oak set in next with some nice dark chocolate and notes of espresso.

T-The bourbon and vanilla oakiness comes in right up front. Tons of dark chocolate set it next melding with the vanilla from the oak, chocolate brownie. Sweetness takes over, but in a soft well orchestrated way. Anise turns to dark cherries and plums with a hint of alcohol in there to let you know how big this is.

M-this is the biggest stout I've ever had. It is huge, somehow bigger than any dark lord and bigger than the vanilla bean that I sipped right next to this. It should be higher than a five if possible. It is extremely smooth and creamy, soft on the palate, this needs a knife to get through it in the best of ways.

D-this is the best stout I have ever had. This is also the best beer I have ever had and is in a league of it's own. Beers could potentially get a higher rank with me b/c of the typically lack of head retention and lace of Dark Lord; but it will take quite a brew to ever top this!

04-27-2010 02:35:13 | More by cpetrone84
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.97/5  rDev +8.8%

Thanks to Brad for sharing this at his tasting on Saturday!

2010 vintage, served side by side with Dark Lord and Vanilla Bean Dark Lord.

Oak Aged Dark Lord pours a near jet black, with hints of brown visible at the upper edges of the glass when held to the light. Head and lacing are somewhat subdued, but given the serving medium, I couldn't ask for more. A great big aroma of rich roasted malt and oak barrels. Wow. Dark Lord is one of my favorite beers, and I find the addition of oak barrels to be quite wonderful. There is a prominent licorice note in the taste. Someone described the feel as "oil slick in the gulf" and I have to agree. Thick and chewy, this beer leaves a coating of stout residue in your mouth that utterly blankets the palate. This is remarkably smooth, given the high alcohol (it is higher this year than previous vintages), and gives a nice, warm burn as it slides down. I really hope I can go to DLD next year and get some of this fresh from the tap.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

On tap at DLD 2011.

Simply delicious. Similar in some regards to Goose Island Bourbon County Rare. The beer is full of flavor and wonderfully smooth. Alcohol content hidden beautifully. Lingering aftertaste of delicious bourbon. Warming sensation as it goes down. World class.

05-17-2010 17:05:40 | More by Huhzubendah
Thehuntmaster

South Africa

4.98/5  rDev +9%

750ml bottle 15.0% Abv.
Served lightly chilled in an over sized wine glass
2012 Vintage
Bottle Number: 393/688

I am not sure I can thank futura123 enough for sending this my way, I never thought I would get the chance to try the bourbon version of one of my favorite beers!

Appearance: As with the regular Dark Lord, the barrel aged version pours out thick and viscous. The beer appears pitch black in the glass, but a back light reveals some deep red along the edges. A rough pour yields a small, creamy, tan coloured head that, as expected, fizzes away pretty quickly. A swirl coats the glass in a thick yellow tinted film, that fades into heavy alcohol legs.

Smell: Good lord, as with the regular DL, the nose here is absolutely sublime! If you don’t like sweet beers, I think this is one to avoid! The initial nose offers copious amounts of sweet toffee, chocolate fudge, salted caramel, caramelized (nearly burned) brown sugar, bourbon and sweet vanilla. Further contemplation and warming yields: Liquorice, a little coffee, dark fruits (cherries and raisins), oak and molasses.

Taste: As the nose promised, this is one of the most delicious beers in all of beerdom, I have a feeling that my glass is going to disappear far quicker than it should! Flavour notes include: Sweet toffee, chocolate, caramel, fudge, butterscotch, bourbon, vanilla, oak, caramelized sugar, dark fruits, molasses and liquorice. There is a touch of the 15% noted in the finish, but I couldn’t bring myself to dock a point for this as the rest of the flavour is just that good!

Mouthfeel: Perfect, absolutely perfect! The body is thick, chewy and quite sticky, with a medium level (usually too high for my tastes, but it works so well in this case) of insanely smooth carbonation.

Overall: Bourbon Dark Lord is one of the few beers that far exceeds any and all hype surrounding it - this is easily one of the best beers I have ever had had! I would absolutely kill for a shot at the vanilla bean version!

12-17-2012 09:35:34 | More by Thehuntmaster
karst

Missouri

Served at the 2006 Dark Lord release party. $6 per serving - priceless!

Dark that is espected from a monster stout. Fine golden head rest above the darkness of the glass.

Aromal of oak barrel that complements the espresso, dark roasted barleys, chocolate, dark fruit nothing in the Three Floyds pub rivals this aroma.

Taste of decadent dark chocolate espresso malt with prunes, figs and caramel/chocolate-covered-cherries.

Mouthfeel is prototypical - the oak permeates all and seems to clean up the intense flavors. Alcohol is unnoticable in a sea of aromas and flavors. Perilously drinkable.

The pre- release Imperial Stouts offered up by those making the pilgrimage were a nice prelude but quickly fade from memory with the arrival of this at the booth. An excellent meal from the whole roasted hog added to the experience.

My complements to Nick Floyd and his crew for all their efforts in bringing another excellent vintage of the Dark Lord. Hope to return soon. Enjoy the bottle of Cherry Stout from Missouri!

04-30-2006 19:03:15 | More by karst
Phatz

I promised not to review anything from Dark Lord Day. There was too much happening. This is my one exception. I had glass after glass because several people kept saying wow that it too hot for me here you want to finish mine. Oh my God what were they thinking. This was the most easy drinking whiskey I have ever had. It is certainly closer to bourbon than to beer. The beer seemed much higher than 13% ABV to me but the hot alcohol had the softness of a 10 - 20 year old bourbon. WOW! Everyone who has been to my house knows that Woodford Reserve is my favorite go-to Bourbon. I am not makin this up for the sake of this review. I always have it on hand. Wouldn’t you know, the wonderful geniuses at Three Floyds that hand crafted this beer JUST FOR ME, picked my regular bourbon for aging this beer. Yes, This is Dark Lord, aged for a year in none other than Woodford Reserve Bourbon Barrels. Oh my God! I just about passed out this was so freaking good. I went week in the knees and I was not drunk.

Appearance: When I received this beer in a plastic cup there was no head on it. I poured it into my snifter glass and it stirred up very little head but in the glass it did showcase a nice tan head. Several times through drinking this beer various friend emptied there plastic cups into my snifter each time revitalizing a tiny bit of head in this otherwise murky black body.

Smell: Everything I love about bourbon and more flooded my nose. Rich scent of various woods, just like the Woodford Reserve I makes me think of my freshly moistened humidor. Dark roasted malts and barley, black coffer and thick bitter sweet chocolate and of course a wallop of vanilla oak bourbon flavors.

Taste: The biggest complaint people had on this hot day was the beer is too much like bourbon. If that is the biggest gripe, then gripe on my friends. I LOVE IT! This is absolutely everything I could ever want in a drink. It is the best of both world. It is what I love about two different drinks met in one glass. Yes the alcohol does not hide. So you sip the beer like you would any other liquor. It takes drinking it differently than a more “typical” beer but it is certainly worth it. The dark chocolate malts and fruits blend right into the woody vanilla oak and somehow it creates what feels like very layers of flavors and leaves your mouth with the feel of bourbon on the tongue and throat and face.

Mouthfeel: The swallow is very hot but the massive rich oily smooth feel coats every inch of your mouth and then some. I can feel the hot alcohol and warm boozy black grains making my face go numb as works its way from my tongue to my cheeks, my tonsils and up through my sinuses until my whole face seems to going flush enjoying the magnificence that this masterpiece exudes.

Drinkability: When I sit down with my favorite liquor I don’t start just putting them back one after another. Drinkability is the duration for which I can enjoy that drink. I would take it slowly, but I could enjoy this dink all day long.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

05-04-2007 23:09:02 | More by Phatz
iconoklaztor

Indiana

This beer poured with virtually no head what so ever. It was probably served a little cold but I was probably the 10th person to get this so I'm guessing it was due to that.

The color of this brew was as dark as a beer could get, IMO. It coated the cup like the nastiest motor oil from the most run down POS you could imagine. (I still have the cup)

The smells was phenomenal. Smells of vanilla, bourbon, chocolate, chocolate cake, and a little burnt coffee made up this beast.

The taste simply cant be put into words but I will make a poor attempt at it. It was probably the most balanced beer I've ever had. At no point did this beer reveal any of its 13%. It was super creamy, Bourbon-y, and very chocolaty.

The mouth was so rich and creamy and thick and malty. I am honored to have tried this brew.

Overall, this beer is the best beer I've ever tried. It, IMO, can't get much better than this. I'm excited to see what can top it.

04-29-2008 23:25:48 | More by iconoklaztor
bassmantin

Bought a cup of this for $5 at Dark Lord Day. Definitely worth it.

It has all the great characteristics of the regular Dark Lord (great mouthfeel, incredible malts, you know...), but the oak aging mellowed the super-sticky sweetness which was my least favorite thing about regular DL. It's great what the aging did for this beer.

I generally say that aging isn't worth the expense, but in this case it mellows the beer and further adds to the great complexity.

05-20-2008 00:40:26 | More by bassmantin
Crosling

Colorado

Draught, Dark Lord Day 2008. Original Dark Lord is a 5.0 beer for me, a 1 year barrel aged version just takes it to another level. Has the smoothness, intensity, layers of flavor and incredible body of Dark Lord, with additions of whiskey, charred oak, vanilla and coconut. One of the best beverages I've consumed.

06-19-2008 03:41:09 | More by Crosling
Damian

Drank on-tap at Dark Lord Day 2009
Served in a plastic cup

The beer poured super thick and dense, like used motor oil. Not a ray of light penetrated this sludgy mass. A small, frothy, clingy, coffee-colored head capped the liquid.

The aroma was simply amazing. Sweet, robust and complex with strong indications of oak and bourbon. Lots of vanilla-like sweetness. Some brown sugar and caramel notes appeared as well. Boozy without being overly alcoholic.

The taste was just as astounding as the smell. Sweet, rich malts came through strong up front. Coffee-like. Deep and dark yet super smooth and not overly roasty. Bourbon and molasses were also noticeable. Lots of vanilla and oak too. Dark fruits appeared in the center. The lingering finish was oaky and whiskey-like. Brown sugar notes were apparent. Overall, incredibly interesting and quite complex.

The mouthfeel was ridiculously good. Ultra-heavy and creamy with a fine, mild carbonation. If there is a more rich and dense brew out there, I have yet to try it.

Drinkability was simply off the charts. The beer was incredibly smooth and balanced. Sweet for the style without being cloying. At 15% ABV, it drank like something half its strength.

This beer alone made my 1,000 mile journey to Dark Lord Day 2009 worth it. Simply put, Oak Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout is the best beer to ever pass my lips.

05-01-2009 01:07:55 | More by Damian
tpd975

Hand bottle provided by gunhaver.

A: Pours as dark as night, flat pitch black with only a bubble or two for a head. The beer is thick, dense, it literally coats the glass.

S: Huge vanilla aromas, from the wood I guess. Nothing artifical about the vanilla though, it is like creamy buttery vanilla. The wood component is huge as well. Like fresh cut oak. Strong roasty notes are there along with hints of molasses and chocolate.

T: Holy Hell! There is nothing like this beer. It is the king of barrel aged beers in my mind without a doubt. Fudge like chocolate up front along with a big blast of roast. The oak component is huge and so enjoyable. Vanilla manages to push through with hints of bourbon. A slight milky coco puffs flavor can be picked up as well. Simple flavors that seem to just meld together perfectly. Really is a perfect beer.

M: Full bodied, lacks carbonation from the hand bottling, but it really don't suffer. I like lower levels of carbonation on RIS' anyway.

D: Wonderful, would love to drink all night until I pass out. Reason enough to make a trip to Dark Lord Day.

09-04-2009 13:09:45 | More by tpd975
kaips1

Kentucky

On tap at DLD

A- dark blackhole goodness, no light penetration
S- slight vanilla, lots of bourbon and chocolate some oak
T-amazing chocolate slight boubon that flows and follows the darkness perfect, some possible dark fruit hints
M-not too heavy very viscous and pleasant, wet finish no presence of the abv at all
O/d- I could drink this forever, it's so mellow and delicious and smooth, it make me think of 1 yr old kbs but maybe a bit sweeter

Get this if you ever can

04-30-2011 15:53:28 | More by kaips1
illidurit

Bottle shared at RBSG 2012 Grand Tasting. I don’t even know what to say about this beer. It’s a whole new level for imperial stouts that I didn’t know existed. All those other reviews of other imperial stouts that talk about "fudge" and "brownies" and "roasted coffee" and "barrel notes" may as well be talking about dog food. This beer is so vivid, so delicious, it’s like brownie concentrate with caramel, nuts, syrup. Body is full and soft, unlike the oily chore that is regular Dark Lord. It’s definitely really really sweet, but in sample size it’s unparalleled. Maybe the biggest highlight of a great night.

08-16-2012 05:41:05 | More by illidurit
stouts4me

Popped this total badboy at 1 of my retirement parties, and shared it with 8 friends and family;the taste floored everyone.

Aroma was strong, but "typical Dark Lord ".

Appearance very black with just a tip of dark tan around the edge, not too much foam, drops away fast.

mouthfeel is VERY typically Dark Lord, sweet, thick, deliciously so.

Taste - OMG - so frickin' good, wow ! we also had Rare, Choco Rain and others, this stood way taller than the rest, totally my favorite right now. Sweet, coats your mouth with delicious vanilla, cherry and bourbon flavors, not at all hot after sitting for almost a year.

If I can trade for more, I won't think twice about trading away most anything for more of this monsterously flavorful beast.

02-13-2013 05:34:47 | More by stouts4me
« first ‹ prev | 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next › last »
Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub