Munsterfest - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

MunsterfestMunsterfest

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: frank4sail on 10-18-2002

firstprev| 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next → last
4.22/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours out couldy orange/yellow with amber tints.
Smell is fruity with granny smith skins with a caramel on top.
Taste is fruity like sour apple sauce that has been left out to sour.
Mouthfeel is good here. Smoothe lager. Mellow malt and cane sugars caress the mouth.
Drinkability is good and the abv is just right. (314 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +13.1%

Presentation: 22 oz. bomber bottle with no freshness date. Poured into my Sam Adams pint glass in two parts.

Appearance: Deep golden yellow to light orange in color with a slight head. Not much retention here.

Aroma: Caramel and biscuit notes upfront. Nice smooth maltiness throughout. A touch of herbal notes in there as well.

Taste: Sweet caramel and breadiness throughout. The malt is really smooth and not at all overpowering. It is a really enjoyable flavor profile. Feels like there is almost a touch of spice here too, but mot much. Clean finish. Very limited hop presence.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smooth. Nice lively carbonation works well here.

Drinkability: This does not feel like 6% ABV at all. I found this really easy to drink with such smooth flavor and how clean it finished. I finished the bomber really quickly and definitely could have had another.

Overall, a nice marzen style beer I enjoyed way more than I expected to. I'm usually not the biggest fan of the style but the smooth malt flavors, clean finish, and high drinkability really impressed. I would definitely have this again if I had the chance. (1,136 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +14.5%

A special thanks goes to goodbyeohio for snagging me this one...
Clear auburn with a half finger of off-white head...thin lacing.
One of the better aromas from the style...huge malt presence with floral notes, citrus, and a minty spice with a lingering nose.
Taste is fantastic...toasted, carmelized malt up front with a huge dose of bittering hops, more floral but some citrus in there too. The yeast flavors really add to the balance.
Finishes slightly sweet, but more bitter and dry, making the mouthfeel medium-bodied and very clean.
Not sure of the abv, but I'm guessing below 6% and very easy to consume....the bomber disappears way too quickly.
A great brew in the style from one of the best. (705 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +14.5%

Greetings ! What a lovely shade of amber oak you are, and such a nice hat of ivory – tis a shame it left us so quickly. And that aroma you have, a very nice malty oak, it matches your taste quite nicely. The spices you added mix in well, I will enjoy your stay with me today. The hops round you out perfectly, and even push you over the edge, into a sassy finish that makes me look forward towards another encounter with you.

I’m so glad that orbitalr0x sent you my way in a good trade! (491 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +14.7%

The beer proudly proclaims, "Nicht Normal!" on it, but I'm inclined to respond, "Voll Normaaal!"

Bah! No one got that. It does say, "Nicht Normal" on it, which just means "not normal" in German, whereas Voll Normal mean's "Totally Normal" but is also the title of a film.

Anyway. . . .

The beer pours, looks, tastes, and drinks like a regular Ofest. I mean that. It is a little lighter than the Spaten offering (I drank them side-by-side), but I think it is a little thicker than the Paulaner version (much less the Weihenstephaner!).

I mean, I really had a hard time grappling with the idea that this wasn't a German Maerzen. Good, rich, tasty malts (more vienna than munich) and also nice and dry with a great knacky dry finish at the end. The clean finish is definitely helped by some hops, but unlike any other FFF beer I've ever had, they hops played a very subtle, supporting role.

The beer is surprising in the same way that swapping out a Schwarzbier for a stout is surprising. I was expecting something else and FFF kept me on my toes by delivering something completely different.

This is a spot-on great Maerzen. Come fall, I will be (no doubt) shelling out way too much money for this overpriced bomber. (1,232 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +15.3%

Murkied golden brown with a heavy/dirty orange tint to its hazen body. Fully frothy and big bubbly head of yellowy off-white foam builds to about an inch into my 24oz mug of might. Not much lacing other then a few specks, but given what malt I smell it doesn't surprise me.

Aroma is a straight up solid O-fest nose. Semi nutty, malty breadyness, gooey melting toastyness, and a bit of old green apple.

Taste is just as solid and a straight up O-fest taster. Probably one of the only 3F brews that actually seems to stick to style that I've enjoyed. Perma-malted with lots of bready gooey smoothness slicked with some well rounded nuttyness and a touch of dull apple and even a breeze of chocolate towards the finish in some sips. Which was the only thing I found to be a bit more of the 3F attitude that is normally found in their brews.

Smooth mediuum body if not more so, but sure is slick and malty with a nice chewy side and hold on the tongue well with a rounded dull tang of bread dough and nuts.

Down it goes and goes down with ease! A solid O-fest and no real surprise from 3F that they can actually make a beer to a specific style that its suppose to be. (1,168 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +16.1%

(Served in a dimple mug)

A- This beer has a thick but soapy head that sits on a orangish-deep copper body that is crystal clear. There are tiny strands of bubbles leading up to the surface from the base of the mug. The head last for a good long time.

S- This beer has a light caramel malt note with a hint of sweetness and a toasted malt smell that has a hint of dry fresh grain note to it. Even though the smell is soft the slight sweetness and dryness is very nice.

T- The taste of toasted malt has a faint pot caramel note but it is a good pot caramel note. There is a faint biscuit or dry light toasted note in the malt aswell. The floral hop finish really balances the malt flavors perfectly. The bitter hops flavor doesn't last long in the finish.

M- This beer has a medium-full body with a tight fizz finish that is a bit crisp.

D- This beer has good malt depth with a very nice balance of malt and hops. I think this is the first Oktoberfest beer that I could drink by the liter and not get tired of drinking. Of course, I have never been to O-fest in German. With the soft malt and hops I will have to find this on cask and I think it must be consumed fresh. (1,186 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured from a big bomber to a large glass mug the liquid is a cloudy copper color with good carbonation. The head is 1 finger off white and leaves some lace. It looks spot on for a traditional Marzen.

The small is very good Light roasted caramel malt.

The taste follows and does not disapoint. Great light roasty caramel taste. Just like back in the old country. Nice extra bit oh hops but not over done. Very nice.

The mouthfeel is very plaesent, better then medium bodyand good carbonation make this brew very good.

The drinkability is very good nothing not to like and a very smoth and easy drinking brew, savor it or chug it this is a very fine example of this traditional style.

Many thanks to JPK30 for getting me this beer.
Prosit und Zum Wohl, MK (772 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

Reviewed 12-11-10
Reviewed cold from a bottle to a glass

A - Poured a decent one finger of foam, copper tan color, lots of carbonation present

S - Sweet caramel, roasted malts, hints of hops present

T/M - Medium bodied, smooth crisp flavor, great blend of malts and hop bitterness

D - Very drinkable Oktoberfest, medium bodied, well balanced, I would for sure get this brew again. Another great brew from Three Floyds. I recommend this brew (444 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

Acquired from fogdog courtesy of the 2009 Secret Bunny BIF, so a big "Thank you" goes out to him. Poured from a 22oz bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a deep orange/amber color, with a large off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a very thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of caramelized malts, grain, some fruit, some spice and a good amount of hops.

T: The taste starts out malty and bready with sweet flavors of caramel and fruit. Then a strong hosp presence for the style comes in to provide a good balance. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, clean and dry finish.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easy, not too filling, good kick, nice representation of style, this is a very good beer to drink for a whole evening. (818 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +17.2%

650mL bomber purchased FRESH from Friar Tucks in Peoria. The beer is hazy-translucent and dark orange color with an extremely thin wispy head. The aroma is sweet and malty, lots of fresh bread and I guess a hint of esters. This stuff is delicious, I think I've found my favorite Oktoberfest. Sweet and bready, a little grassland hops, pleasant overall. This is what Oktoberfests should taste like, definitive and near perfect. (426 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +17.4%

This pours rich and crystal clear. It is a deep deep amber, leaving little head with my slow pour.

Smells malty with a nice hop to balance.

Tastes quite malty, a bit of molassis, some other dark flavorey spice, and a nice clean refreshing dry hop to balance.

Mouthfeel is creamy and coarse at the same time.

The body seems somewhat light compared to what I am used to from this brewery, but it is fine for the style.

Finish is a bit wet - the creaminess dissipates on its way down. It ends with a wet spicy flavor.

I could drink this for days straight.

this is another great offering from the FFF brewery - Try it if you can find it! (655 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The beer pours brilliant orange tinted amber under a 1” cream to white foam collar that recedes moderately fast. Big rich malt dominates the aromas and flavor with a trace of DMS seasoning fresh baked bread and spicy malt. The body is medium full while the carbonation is on the low side. I have to drive 30 miles to another state to get these – I should have bought more. (376 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +18.5%

I poured this one from a 22oz brown bomber bottle into my tall pilsener glass.

A= This beer poured a clear reddish copper color with a 1" light tan head. The head quickly dropped to nothing and left zero lace on the glass.

A= I found aromas of caramel malts, bakery sweetness, and a slight spicy hop and alcohol note.

T= This was a very balanced fest bier. Filled with sweet and caramel malts initially, but followed by mild toasted grains and mild hop spice. The finish was an incredibly interesting mix of fruitiness and a slight alcohol bite.

MF= Medium body, moderate carbonation. Nice palate cleansing feel.

D= Very drinkable, probably the best fest bier I have had this year. Highly sessionable! (706 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +18.5%

On tap at the Lafayette Chumleys.

Regular marzen pour; maybe a little limp. An orange like a rusty old pumpkin made of steel. Translucent with a small head.

Smells nice. Rounded, zippy bock malt with hints of wax and cinnamon. Decent dry American hop presence, to boot.

Tastes a lot like it smells only the hops are a lot bigger and the cinnamon much bolder, almost at Spotted Cow levels. Starts for a marzen, big bouquet of spices and light flowers, moving into sweeter, bockier middle with dry American hops and ending on a long, lingering blend of hops, spice, and malt sweetness. Really nice. (600 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +19.3%

Oh my god, I think I just creamed my pants. A Three Floyds lager? Don't get me wrong, I love my ales to death, and a greater percentage of my favorite beers are ales, but there is really nothing better than a well done lager. This one fits the bill quite nicely, and it is quite hoppy to boot (it's Three Floyds afterall). I finally got a chance to try this after just having been out of my Oktoberfest kick for the past month, but now I'm ready to dive right back in after this one.

Pours with a monumental head and an intensely active carbonation to support it. Whew, it's not already too late after O'fest season. Despite the beautiful carbonation, the retention is actually fairly poor, and the lacing ceases to stick. It is also a fair bit hazy, though it has that beautiful clear coppery color that I drool over every October.

The aroma is quite enticing. Has a distinct vegetal lager smell to it, but also a ton of floral hops and some caramel maltiness. The taste is fairly similar. Sweet with caramel and biscuity malt flavors up front fading into a clean, crisp floral hops bitterness. Very clean finish. Only very faintly vegetal. A damn good lager, and an instant favorite for an O'fest.

The body is fairly thick and creamy for the style; and even though the carbonation appears to be intense, it is very soft on the palate. As I have said already, it is very clean with only a hint of caramel sweetness and floral hops bitterness in the finish.

As is the case with most well-done lagers, this beer is uber drinkable. I could drink it by the case if I could afford it and it was available. (1,613 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

Bottle into teku

A- pours clear dark orange with a single finger white head
S-sweet malts, grainy, slightly roasty,
T- starts with sweet malts, nice brown sugar taste, plenty of grain without being dry, some carmel flavor, very subtle hop presence
M- nice texture, coats the tongue more than you would think
O- I'm really impressed by this, I don't usually like their style because it's usually very malty and too grainy. This is so well balanced, great texture, nice sweet flavor, not too thick in texture. I'm glad I got to try this, the best Oktoberfest I've had personally. (578 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +21.2%

A- Thin tan white head on a clody orangish body.
S- Weak smell can't really smell much besdies some malts and some hops with fruits. It is a different smell. Smells like a lot is mixed in it. Some caramel notes with some like orange hints and other tropical notes?
T- A nice blend between malts and hops. It has quite a bit of fruit flavors. Can't really pin point to many flavors since I think it doesn't follow the style well but it is very good! Some pear and fruits come out. I think its well balanced. To big of flavors for a oktoberfest IMO.
M- Medium body with low carbonation.
D- It is really good! I think it tastes amazing. It's a new blend of flavor which follows Three Floyds. I don't know how they do it but they keep making a total new blend of flavors and it keeps coming out amazing. (804 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Satisfied New Yorker drinking Indianan beer thanks to a trade with brundo4. Thanks Ben! 22 oz bottle poured into my Coca Cola bell glass (it's shaped sorta like an imperial pint glass...)

I realize I rated 4.5 across the board, and will disclaim that part of that is Marzens are one of my favorite styles when done correctly...and this was definitely done correctly.

A - Deep orange brown, brighter around the edges. Hazy, not too cloudy but not crystal clear. Would like to see a bit more head, I suppose. Froth is always nice.

S - Rich, sweet roasted (caramel?) malts

T - Smooth beginning that leads to more of that sweet roasted malt. The taste ends on sweetness, leaving it on your tongue. The sweetness isn't cloying or too prevalent, it just tastes like delicious sweet bread.

M - Smooth and fulfilling.

D - Definitely one of the best American Oktoberfests I've come across. (886 characters)

firstprev| 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next → last
Munsterfest from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.