1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Munsterfest - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

MunsterfestMunsterfest

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: beachbum1975 on 10-15-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next › last »
Ratings: 552 | Reviews: 215 | Show All Ratings:
lbaker

Indiana

3.85/5  rDev +1.9%

Okay, im in love with FFF (no matter how bad golden tickets piss me off) and oktoberfest...so I've been wanting this one for awhile! Lucky enough to find some bottles left over and Vine Table, lets go..

(a) Pours a traditional marzen color, dark amber/carmel color. Head almost dissapears immediately, good amount of carbonation, but would like to see a more marzen-esque head on this brew. (4/5)

(s) Great sniff. Tones of carmel, tons of malts. (3.5/5)

(t) Delicious, everything I want in an oktoberfest. Tastes like fall! Great amount and variety of malts make this brew very easy to gulp! (4/5)

(m) A little flat, looking for more bite on the pallete for this one. (3.5/5)

(d) I would like to see a higher abv% on this one, but then again it wouldnt be a traditional marzen...but then again FFF isnt a traditional brewery. Whats nice about this brew is that unlike other fests, I doubt it gets dumbed down every year. I will look forard to this one on draft this fall. (4/5)

03-19-2010 23:06:38 | More by lbaker
OHLRangers

22oz bomber purchased at the brewery and poured into standard pint glass.

Poured a burnt orange color, with a slight off-white head which quickly dissipated. Good amount of carbonation. My 13-year old said the color was "amazing".

Some grassiness in the aroma, but caramel is the prevailing smell.

The caramel maltiness comes through in the taste, but there is a gentle bite from the hops on the back of the tongue, too. Medium body, crisp in the mouth and highly drinkable.

A nice version of a favorite style of mine.

11-13-2008 01:42:44 | More by OHLRangers
chicagoanbeerone

3.4/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

not to much aroma to this beer which is surprsing for fff but it is a lager style beer. The color of the beer was really good and the tatste was good with a bit extra hops then a regular lager style beer very refreshing and crisp. it was very very smooth with a slit bitterness at the end. no water or alcohol taste good with small malt like tatse
overall one of the best lager style beers u can buy so try it

11-03-2012 18:45:36 | More by chicagoanbeerone
vdoz3

Oregon

4.6/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Satisfied New Yorker drinking Indianan beer thanks to a trade with brundo4. Thanks Ben! 22 oz bottle poured into my Coca Cola bell glass (it's shaped sorta like an imperial pint glass...)

I realize I rated 4.5 across the board, and will disclaim that part of that is Marzens are one of my favorite styles when done correctly...and this was definitely done correctly.

A - Deep orange brown, brighter around the edges. Hazy, not too cloudy but not crystal clear. Would like to see a bit more head, I suppose. Froth is always nice.

S - Rich, sweet roasted (caramel?) malts

T - Smooth beginning that leads to more of that sweet roasted malt. The taste ends on sweetness, leaving it on your tongue. The sweetness isn't cloying or too prevalent, it just tastes like delicious sweet bread.

M - Smooth and fulfilling.

D - Definitely one of the best American Oktoberfests I've come across.

03-24-2010 03:23:50 | More by vdoz3
Jeebs

3.03/5  rDev -19.8%

A: Pours a hazy deep golden orange with a tiny off white head. The head dissipates almost instantly leaving nearly no lacing.

S: Smells biscuity with spiced malts, sweet with a bit of fruitiness.

T: Much like the smell, bready/biscuity sweetness with spiced malts.

M: Light to medium bodied with light carbonation. There isn't really anything that stand out with the mouth feel it's pretty bland and boring.

D: Drinkability is average at best, this beer is just too bland. This beer is not even close to being worth $8 a bomber.

02-20-2010 21:15:19 | More by Jeebs
adamhdv

Indiana

3.73/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours bright amberish orange with a thin fading head. Little lacing, if any after a few minutes...

Smells sweet. Malts and citrus upfront.

Taste of caramel and sweet bready citrus, slight metallic note.

Mouthful is alright, could use a little more carbonation...

Overall, very drinkable. Was hoping for a little more from FFF, but it's still a very legit brew. Could be a little darker and more bitter, then I would have been totally satisfied.

02-01-2009 05:05:46 | More by adamhdv
sfreshnock

2.73/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

22oz bottle poured into 20oz tumbler.

Beer pours near bronze with little to no head which dissipates immediately. The beer has a sweet smell that is soon overpowered by alcohol and corn, unpleasant. The corn taste dominates and sits in the back of your mouth. Tastes like a roided' out Budvar. I have so much faith in FFF but I will not be having another. Taking into consideration where I purchased this from it should be very fresh.

10-18-2007 02:05:21 | More by sfreshnock
jordanblaskey

4.2/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

A:
Pours a hazy, luscious golden caramel brown with an equally gorgeous mocha one-and-a-half finger head that quickly diminished into nothing.

S:
Caramel, lemon, orange, banana, clove. Toasted biscuits and bread.

T:
Bready malts coated in caramel with a garnish of lemon. Very fresh tasting. Hops bite you at the finish.

M:
A very smooth, light brew. Perfect amount of carbonation. Extremely drinkable.

O:
A very reserved beer from FFF, but extremely delicious nonetheless. Very glad I picked this up.

11-07-2011 06:04:07 | More by jordanblaskey
SpoonMeForkMe

3.68/5  rDev -2.6%

A: Poured a deep orange/brown. Decent head settled down to a thin veil over the top. Semi cloudy with decent carbonation.

S: I got honey, caramel and toffee all over this but the faintest bit of lemon grass or maybe something similar...

T: I'd say the nose correlates well with the palate here. I'm getting roasted malts, caramel, toffee, a little bit of bready/yeasty poking through. Creamy on the palate, coats nicely and lingers for a few moments. Just long enough to pick up that metal tinge another reviewer mentioned. Thin bodied but not wimpy by any stretch.

Over all I liked it. It's absolutely not what I was expecting out of 3 Floyds and it almost taste more like something made by Upland, which is not a bad thing in my book. Just not what I was expecting.

10-10-2011 19:07:15 | More by SpoonMeForkMe
fryman

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%

A-Pours a slightly hazy reddish copper. A tannish head forms and hangs on the glass nicely.

S-The nose is earthy and kind of grassy with notes of wet grain and a mild sweetness.

T-Clean malt sweetness is follwed by clean and mild hop bitterness. This beer is very straightforward and fairly simple, but very enjoyable. A little complexity comes from an acidic upturn at the finish and a faint raisin-like flavor.

M-This brew has a medium body that suits it well.

D-Quite drinkable, though it would be a hefty session beer.

10-13-2010 02:53:13 | More by fryman
BigBass

3.2/5  rDev -15.3%

I love Marzen beir so I could not wait to get this in my hands fresh.

Pours a golden orange hue with a touch of champagne to it.

Alot of spices up front with all kinds of fruit. Im getting apple cider or juice right away, with a little malt character. Fresh baked bannana bread on the back end.

Wow, not what I expected at all. Alot of fruit, clove, and cider with malt character. Almost has that hefe twangg, sourness to it.

This has some wine-like quality for some reason. Carbonation is a little much for me and would like to see more body. I think they were going for high drinkability and missed.

10-02-2010 04:12:00 | More by BigBass
sandmaker

3.78/5  rDev 0%

I was looking forward to this beer. I've been enjoying the Octoberfest and Harvest ales lately as a relief from the IPAs that I have barraged my palette with all summer. The color is just as pretty and red as the leaves that decorate the trees here in the midwest. The flavor is calm and smooth. Atypical of what FFF's usually prides themselves on. I think the calm and subtle flavors would start to disappear after more than a pint or two, which is disappointing. I can't say that its my favorite harvest ale, but FFF have continued to brew beers that I continue to enjoy and look forward to.

10-14-2010 00:30:28 | More by sandmaker
Coltalenaven

3.24/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Stopped by FFF in Munster, IN and picked up a few assorted bombers. Nice to obtain a fresh bottle of this Oktoberfest I've never sampled.
Pours a dark amber brew with a 3 finger semi creamy head. Quickly settles down to a thin film with no mentionable lacing.
Aroma is malty sweetness and the taste is the same.
A really smooth lager with a pretty abundant malt quality. Very similar to many of the American Oktoberfest beers I've sampled but a solid example and a pretty high quality beer in general as are all the FFF beers.
Overall a high rated beer in my opinion and something I would pick up every season.

01-20-2013 02:09:13 | More by Coltalenaven
BitterBosh

Kentucky

3.2/5  rDev -15.3%

At first, I really didn't like it, it seemed way overcarbonated & just way too thin & oily. But, after a while of drinking & letting the tulip glass sit, the alcohol smell & think taste broadened to a robust amber lager that I didn't think was coming at all. Let this brew sit for a while, it really opens up after a bit of warmth. The head will be gone by then, but it tastes so much fuller & organic this way. Right out of the fridge, its thin & oily. Must try some more Three Floyds offerings!

P.S.: I forgot to mention the hops...To me, the hops in this particular Oktoberfest lager taste far more citrusey (sp?) & biting than most other 'fests I've had. I like that about this brew, & with the sweetness added from letting it sit for a bit, this makes for an Oktoberfest that is in a league of it's own.

11-01-2013 07:39:19 | More by BitterBosh