Alpha King - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha KingAlpha King

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.66% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alpha King Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,717 | Hads: 5,820
4.48/5  rDev +4.9%

A -A really deep, very attractive dark color that looks like a mix between orange and cooper. Maybe a color one could call rust. There is a nice creamy slightly dirty looking head as well that sits on top of this one and leaves some nice lacing.

S - A nice hoppy, floral and citrus smell coming of it, rather fragrant as one can smell this one coming from miles away. There are also a few light notes of pine mixed in there as well which just adds even more to the hop dominance of this beer's nose.

T - The taste is just great and the citrus and pine hop aspect of this beer are the first tastes that hit your mouth. I would have to say the citrus seems to lean a bit more towards the orange aspect in my opinion. However, the hops are not at all overpowering and would not call this a hop bomb as all of a sudden there is a nice hit of sweet malts that come in to relieve your tongue from the hoppy onslaught. This is one superbly balanced beer as you are given a nice dose of both hops and malt without being blown away by either. hits you as first but not at all overpowering. Really a great beer that I just love.

MF - The mouthfeel is also great as it is super smooth and the carbonation is just right as there is a light carbonation that comes in and goes well with the hops and the body is there but not too thick or syrupy which makes this one really easy to drink as well. The after feeling is a light tingle that sits in on the mouth and because of the malt, I don't find myself feeling like I want to pucker to combat the hops bitterness.

D - Drinkability is really high on this as I could see myself buying this and just drinking one after another. It could possibly be the beer of choice for those nights when one just wants to drink beer after beer instead of sipping along. I also have to add that if I were ever stuck on a deserted island with only one beer this is the one beer that I would hope is with me since I do not think I could ever tire of this one as it just brings you everything you want in a beer and does it greatly. (2,054 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +2.8%

A- Pours a deep, sunset orange with a small head.

S- Smell is absolutely perfect. Sweet, floral tones with a huge aromatic pineyness.

T- Taste is milder than expected from the ipaesque nose but good none the less. Starts off with a huge hit of piney hop flavor but mellows quickly into sweet maltiness and very little if any hop bitterness.

M- Creamy with a good amount of carbonation. Theres something different about the three floyds mouthfeel that I can't put my finger on. At first with Dreadnaught I thought it was lack of carbonation but now im thinking it may be to creamy for a pale ale or ipa.

D- This would be an absolutely excellent session beer. One of my favorite pale ales to date. Has all of the hop flavor but none of the bitterness which makes it pretty drinkable. (785 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to DrBayern for this amazing pale!

Pours a rich, cloudy honey/amber color, with a big lasting, and lasting, and lasting beige head. Never seen anything less than a rich stout hold onto a head the way this did. Smell is huge bold hops, citrusy, and fruity sweet caramel and is just mouthwatering. Taste is very nicely hopped, but not overdone at all. A great flavorful sweetness really rounds this beer out, and a nice satisfying bitterness, and full mouthfeel make this one of my all time favorites. A must try if you like American Pales. (550 characters)

Goddamn, this is one of the best beers I've ever had. It pulls down my pants and taunts me. Thanks to Louisdog for the trade. Pours a deep orange color, lots and lots of white foam that leaves an opaque layer on the glass. Smells strongly of citrus. Tastes of citrus, some malt, and a solid amount of bitterness. Outstanding balance of flavor. Close to IPA territory, and in fact I've had IPAs that were less intense. Strong but not too much carbonation, and I was done with it before I realized what had happened. Jesus, how do those Floyd guys do it? And by the way, which one's Pink? (586 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +4%

The first thing that hits you is the fresh and pungent citrus hops. This, as the title implies, is a Northwest hop festival in a glass or bottle.

It pours with a small but firm head that dissipates quickly and has a amber hue. Take the time to smell the hops before you drink this one, it really has a beautiful aroma that seems like it came right from some grassy field.

It also has a subtle taste not from the base malts, hops, or the crystal malt that gives it its amber hue. My guess is 3 Floyds uses a small amount of a speciality malt that provides a bit more depth and background flavor without overwhelming the simplicity of this IPA.

As the name suggests, this is a bitter beer, but it has the smoothness of my guess, Centennial hops, which is firm but very drinkable. It is also very clean, in the West Coast tradition, with no noticeable esters or yeast flavors that would be typical of an English IPA.

This is a very clean, super example of a West Coast style IPA that is highly drinkable. If I could get this locally, I would be stocking it up. (1,062 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks to TheodorHerzl for the chance to try this.

A- Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours amber with yellow highlights. Little to no head, some light lacing on top.

S- A sweet nose lots of hops. Notes of grapefruit and orange. I actually get an almost hard candy smell.

T- I get a good malt backbone w/ some nice hops character. I nice caramel with citrus notes. This is a really tasty beer. I am not getting blown away w/ hops like I thought I would. This is a very balanced beer.

M- This is a pretty thick pale ale but it is nice on the palate. Lower carbonation than I would expect though.

D- I could definitely have a couple of these. I think I should road trip to Munster, IN! (701 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Alpha King Pale Ale pours a hazy orange with a tan head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. The aroma is citrusy hops. The flavor is also dominated by citrusy hops, and the malt is up to the job of balancing this beer nicely, but stays in the background. This is a hoppy beer, but it's not a as strong as a DIPA type beer, I think I could session this beer all night. Very enjoyable. (381 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

A- Copper in color and semi transparent. Nice, thick pillowy sheets of lacing and 3/4" of head.

S- Grapefruit and sweet caramel malts.

T- Nice bitter hops blended well with deep caramel backbone.

M- Medium to thick with high carbonation.

D- Very high. Almost a perfect score here.

Overall- This was a quick review while taking a break from brewing. My friend had some in the fridge and I have been dying to try it. Very sweet and a nice offering all the way around. Glad I finally got to give it a go. I would definitely seek this one out. (544 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +4.4%

This was my third or fourth occasion to sample this fine brew and thought it was time for a review.

I poured it aggressively from a bottle into a pint glass, yet it only produced about a 1/4 inch tan head that was gone in under 2 minutes. The color is a brilliant clear orange amber with barely noticable carbonation release. Decent lacing down the glass.

The smell is of course hops over the top, but there are also fruity esters and possibly a bit of not-unpleasant coppery scent.

The taste of this beer is very good. It is pleasantly bitter at first, but a hint of malt creeps in midway before a dry finish. Altogether a great taste sensation with this beer.

Mouthfeel is fine and good with low carbonation.

Drinkability is excellent. A classic example of american hoppiness. Too hoppy to compare to most other american pale ales, this one holds its own next to the best american IPAs such as Mad Hatter. (914 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

Acquired in a trade with vj2slow

Appearance is a clear amber-dark orange hue, head is a thick off-white layer of sudsy foam that dissipates to a thin ring, spotty lacing on the glass

Smell is mild-to-moderate hops, mostly light citrus, pine resin, and floral/grass, nice backbone of bread/biscuit malts, touches of fruit zest and spices

Taste is floral and earthy hops held in check with pale bread malts, great balance, some bitter citrus and roast malts creep in, finish dominated by bitter hops, very delicious

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, watery yet slick texture, mild carbonation

Drinkability is very high, I really like the balance between hops and malts, this is a very hop-forward pale ale in the session range with very little alcohol presence, i'm glad i was able to get a 6-pack of this tasty ale! (813 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +7.3%

12 ounce bottle purchased from Walnut Liquorette for three dollars

A-Golden brown color with an orange tint, 3/4 inch soapy white head, great retention, phenomenonal lacing

S-Various types of hoppiness, lots of citrus, some nice bready malt aromas, pine scents, straw, barley

T-Lots of citrus at the beginning, grapefruit and lemon mostly, some chewy biscuit-like malt balances it out beautifully, dry and chewy finish, got a little sweeter when it warmed, amazingly smooth

M-Chewy mouthfeel, medium size body, lots of carbonation, fairly bitter and creamy at the same time

D-Could drink these all night, would make a great session beer, low in alcohol, super light on the stomach, great diversified taste keeps you coming back

Have heard this beer is cream of the crop of Three Floyds releases other than Dark Lord, did not disappoint, best pale ale I have ever had, will buy a six pack next time I make it to this store even though it is fifteen dollars (961 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

Appearance: Dark amber with a slight tan head. Head disappears almost completely after the first couple of sips.

Smell: Sweet citrusy hops along with a nice floral scent dominate the nose. There is a bit of a malty smell in the background as well.

Taste: Citrusy hops up front with a slight bitter finish. As with the nose, there is a bit of malt in the middle of the sip between the hop flavors.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth beer. Medium body and not much in the way of carbonation. Nice hop flavor lasts for while in the aftertaste but is not too strong.

Drinkability: Pretty good beer. Very drinkable for a beer that focuses on hops. One of the better Pale Ales out there and definitely easy to drink. (704 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

We have had the Alpha King all over, in bottle and on-tap, at the brewery and other places, but I don't think we had it from the cask before. What a fantastic beer! Nice dark amber with a good froth in the glass. The smell is full, hoppy and floral. On the palate, all the good things of Alpha King are emphasized in this super-smooth and drinkable brew, floral hops, fruit, length. I was reminded of Fuller's London Pride and Brakspears (RIP) in particular as examples of a complex fruity bitter. (497 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +7%

Balanced hop aroma without residual bitterness. Heads up decently. Nice malt tones combine with hops of the style to make a beer that's scarily drinkable. Very clean mouthfeel. Has always been one of my favorites; for an IPA this drinks waaaayyy too easily. (257 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +11%

Finally getting to some of the Three Floyds brews. A golden amber pour is topped off by a one-finger tan head that dissipates in it's own good time leaving a jagged lacing behind. Smells of bold, citrusy hops which are rounded at the edge and present perfectly. I've never experienced this aroma in an APA. It's of a different class. Tastes of grapefruit covered with table sugar. The hop bitterness that follows is actually icing on the cake. I'm so enjoying drinking this one that I find it hard to write. Mouthfeel is smooth and comforting, but it also leaves you feeling like you're drinking a real-mans beer. There's something going on here that sets this one apart from the rest of the pack, and that's a mighty big pack we're speaking of. (745 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance: Pours a clear copper with garnet hues. The head is a fluffy two fingers, with coloration like that of lightly toasted meringue. The head retains well, while the lacing is hearty.

Smell: The citrusy hops reveal themselves quite clearly, accompanied by roasted barley malts that balance the aroma. Orange peel, ripe apricot, and a subtle zestiness provided a spice that I can't quite identify. Very pleasant.

Taste: The hops infuse the beer with a citric bittersweetness. Flavors of grapefruit and apricot predominate. There is also a very satisfying roasted nuttiness that pulls through to add some heft to the taste. The finish is mostly bitter, but also contains notes of barley malt.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and slick on the tongue. Warming to the palate and throat.

Drinkability: Well balanced, striking a satisfying compromise between refreshment and satiation. An excellent brew that is an exemplar of the style. (936 characters)

L: The beer itself is a dark orange amber color. The head is a light off white.
S:I am picking up a combination or apricots and grapefruit. Niehter of which totally stick out.
T:The hops a nice floral on the back. Those are matched up and balanced well with a touch of sweet malt.
M:Like many pale ales, this one is big fat, round and syrupy.
D:This is probably one of the best pale ales I have had. (400 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +5.2%

12 oz bottle

Pours a light amber color with a white frothy head. The points I detracted for the fleeting nature of the head (although the initial lacing was pretty good) were easily made up by the vibrant color and excellent clarity.

Kinda, sorta, slightly hoppy aroma here! Dominated by grapefruit hop varieties, with each sip demanding a requisite sniff first. (almost) distrating from the flavor. Excellent, and I can't bring myself to downgrade it for not being very "Pale Ale-ish"

This is a great tasting beer, whatever it is. The hop assault fails to quite match that projected by the aroma, but only just. Also, where I only got hops in the nose, there is a solid pale sweet malt backbone easily noted here behind the citric hops attack. Quite crisp, obviously refreshing, and nothing "off" in the lingering bitterness of the finish.

At times I find myself thinking the beer is a bit thin, but the body seems to suit it. Carbonation is slightly on the low side, and as such I have trouble not draining the glass in one motion. Wish this was available locally, but then so do BA's in about 43 other states! (1,117 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Thanks to tpd975 for the chance to try it, it was a bonus beer!

Pours a copper/orange color with plenty of head and a little bit of lace.

Smell is quite floral, plenty of hop aroma with a citrus edge.

Considering how strong the hop smell was, I expect more bitterness from the hops but well pleasantly surprised at how balanced it was with the sweetness of the malt. Though that's not to say there's a lack of it, cause there's plenty of hops going through. (460 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

I've had this a number of times but never had the occasion to review it. This review is based on a some I had on draft at the Map Room. Poured an orange/amber with a thin head that faded to a ring that stuck around. Smells of fruity apricot, cherry, a touch of rhubarb, with citrus as a top note. The taste is beautifully balanced and fruity,similar flavors as those found in the aroma, with cherry, vanilla, and citrus being especially pronounced. Nice hoppy bitterness in the finish. Mouthfeel is smooth, perfectly carbonated, a little rich. My absolute favorite session beer.I would have this around all the time if it were available in my area. (648 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +9.4%

Had this on tap at Sportstime Pizza. Reddish bronze color, with a thin white head that disappeared before too long. Slightly hazy. Moderate lacing. Smell is a wonderful harbinger of what is to come. VERY hoppy, mainly citrus. If I thought that the nose was hoppy, it was nothing compared to how it actually tasted. This bad boy is like a hop bomb. Amazing. The hop flavors actually come at you harder and faster after you swallow, kind of like when a roller coaster goes down the first big hill. Thicker on the mouthfeel than most pale ales, though this is definitely a good thing. With such a low ABV, this is easily sessionable. One of my new favorites, especially when I'm craving hops. (689 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

This was a delicious, smooth, go-to beer. Poured a deep, rich amber orange. You can see through it, but only dimly.

I didn't really observe the head too much, but it seemed fairly standard. Had a few centimeters and then disappeared.

Aroma was definitely fruity or hoppy, some floral elements and really a treat to smell. Oranges, slightly caramel or toffee scents lend a more smooth texture to the smell. The hops don't become overpowering because of this.

The taste was similar in that you can definitely taste the hops, but they are not so prominent as to be the star. They mix well with the maltiness and some toffee, creamyness and make for a very easy to drink beer. (678 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

This is a pale ale? If it was indicative of the style, I might actually try pale ales more often.

Pours a clear, vibrant burnt orange. Nice inch or two head that dissipates to a thin film and good lacing.

Smells of grapefruit and pine. The taste is a bit more balanced, though it has a ridiculous amount of hoppy goodness for a pale ale. Some sweet caramel malt for balance, and even a splash of orange ... or maybe something tropical ... as well.

A good beer, my favorite of this style. (493 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a nice deep orange with a nice frothy white head that dissipates and leaves good lacing on the walls of my pint glass. Fantastic floral hoppy nose with big scents of citrus fruit and some sweet malt lagging behind. The scent is very vibrant and fresh. Great citrus hop bite at the front of the palate with tastes of grapefruit and fresh tangerines with just the right touch of sweet biscuity malt to round everything out. Medium bodied with medium carbonation that is smooth, crisp, and clean. A good session beer that goes well about anytime you could want.

Great beer from the boys in Munster. I award them with having this in my fridge at all times. (659 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -14.1%

Thanks go out to SPLITGRIN for this one.

Served from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Clear, bronze color beer is dispensed and topped with a one finger sized, white head that dissipates rather abruptly into a light film, with large bubbles on top. Looks like a glass of sweet tea.

Aroma is fruity and piney. Orange juice and caramel. A nice malty background on this one. Pretty aromatic. Perhaps more citrusy than anything else. Not bad.

Not quite as hoppy as the aromas would lend. Possibly due in part to some dry hopping. Slightly bitter. Flavors consist of a caramel maltiness as well as some fresh grain and malt flavors. Decent amount of hop flavor as well.

Finishes dry and is light bodied. Certianly nothing wrong with this one but nothing mind blowing either. I would recommend this as a nice, solid, everyday beer. (831 characters)

Alpha King from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.