Alpha King - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha KingAlpha King

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.66% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alpha King Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,718 | Hads: 5,826
3.28/5  rDev -23.2%

Aroma - Pine and citrus hops and a lot of them.

Appearance - Poured reddish yellow with a trickle of residual carbonation

Taste - Surprisingly sweet and not overly bitter at all. Smooth but this must be an older bottle since I'm not getting the hop bite that I would expect from a FFF APA. (291 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -23%

way to hoppy for my taste..seems overly bitter ..tried on a number of occasions in a bomber poured into a pint glass also sampled on tap..just not my thing this more a matter of personal taste (193 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured a deep orange color with a small white head that disappeared rather quickly. Nose is sweet, malty, citrus and floral and pretty malty too. Taste is malty, some citrus and hop bite. Mouthfeel is ok. Malty, citrus and kind of blah. Nothing spectacular. Overall an average Pale for me. (289 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -22%

Definitely not my style of beer, but I wanted to try something different.

Pour deep yellow, with white head. Smell was that of grapefruits and other citruses.

Taste wasn't doing it for me. I'm not sure what a "good" pale ale or IPA is supposed to taste like, but this tasted like Pine Sol to me. Not very pleasant at all.

Seems like this is a hit for certain beer drinkers, but for those with my tastes it's best to avoid. Overall it's just a wacky, piney taste that somehow seems shouldn't be in any drink. (510 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -21.8%

12 oz bottle poured into uk size sam smith pint glass

appearance: very slightly hazy amber/reddish with an initial 1/2 inch head that drifts down to a wisp that just covers the top of the beer and leaving some attractive lacing.

Smell: At first i get some nice grainy malty aromas of barley and then of course there are the hops which are predominant. Little bit of citrus and floral notes here as swell a little bit subdued actually, maybe its too cold.

Taste: There is a slight upfront flavor of the malt and then it is all hops, pretty intense for the style actually. Even tastes a little boozy? citrus punch from the hops, very dry beer with not too much sweetness.

Overall: this is the 6th ive had of this 6-pack that i had imported from indiana (not all at one time) and i can honestly say that this one didnt do it for me. I would take a dales pale, snpa, or a anchor liberty ale over this any day of the week and all of those beers are cheaper and easier to get. A let down (987 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -21.5%

Very smooth hoppy but less hoppy then zombie dust tatse way better then pride and joy a mild pale ale but not to mild. malty and bitter describes this pale ale also a light hint of citrus hops but overall a good beer i would have this once in a while but gumball and zombie are still there best beers on the market (314 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -21.3%

I'll preface this by saying that IPAs aren't really my thing.

A: dark amber in color, just over a finger if head with good lacing and retention.

S: very hoppy, hops with more hops and a hint of malt.

T: much like the smell, but smoother than expected. Starts & ends bitter, pretty well done for an IPA tho.

M: medium-body with average carbonation. Feels really pleasant in the mouth, a strongpoint of this brew for sure.

D: again IPAs aren't really my thing, but considering the style this is about what I'd expect. (520 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -20.4%

I was actually a little disappointed based on the hype. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty good, but i do not think it is the class act of its style.
Poured into a pint glass, has a nice head for a bit, gives pretty lacing like you would expect. It looks really good. The taste is where it loses me a little. It's good, but I think there are others that are better. Pretty drinkable, could easily sip at it all day... (415 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -20.4%

Pours a robust copper color with about a finger’s breadth of off-white, almost ivory colored head comprised of medium-sized bubbles. Respectable retention and lacing. The aroma is of spicy and earthen hop cones, a bit of pine sap, some wet earth, and orange citrus. It tastes similar, but with a greater emphasis on the orange citrus. A bit of lemon rind and grapefruit come through as well. Earthen notes, including grass and pine, are more predominant than the spicy character that was notable on the nose. Hint of caramel malt on the end. Mouthfeel is somewhat thin, but rich in carbonation with a nearly effervescent quality. Finish is wet and refreshing, but doesn’t linger longer than wanted. Overall, this is a very drinkable and enjoyable pale ale. While commendable, it lacks a certain depth that some other top-tier examples may provide, seeming somewhat one-dimensional. Still, this only adds to the drinkability, as it prevents it from becoming too filling or overwhelming; in that regard, great success here. (1,025 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -20.4%

A : Pours a good amber color with a thin white head that leaves good lacing behind

S : Some malt but mainly citrus hops.

T : Hop bomb. Loads of hop flavor, a little too much. Mainly citrus flavors. There's a little bit of malt but not enough of a balance.

M : Medium bodied, good carbonation

D : A little too much on the hop side for me. I prefer a more balanced beer. (373 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -19.9%

Thin head evaporates to surface mottling over dark, brownish-amber beer. Nose is fruity and piney hops. Alpha indeed. This beer is straight up bitter. It may be the bitterest beer I've ever had. Deeply resinous with bigearthy/ cinnemon in finish. Mouthfeel is thick and sticky.

This is a well-made brew but not my style. I'm way more into FFF's Gumballhead, which I consider an IPA also (though it is wheat-based), and showcases Amarillo hop flavor beautifully. (465 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -19.9%

Pours a darker than expected, ruby hued amber with about 50% clarity and a small fizzy head.

The smell is hop forward, more so than anticipated. Sweet ripe citrus, grapefruit and lemon mostly. Also there is a candy-like sweetness that is very apparent along with green, leafy notes as well.

Hop candy and loads of grapefruit kick this one off. Solid caramel infused backbone that works fairly well with the fruity hop oils. When you exhale some bitter pine and citrus pith are evident, but not overwhelming. Loads of fruity esters along with the seriously sugary malts make me feel like this would be hard to drink a bunch of. Interesting and fairly complex.

Mouthfeel leans on syrupy for such a low ABV brew. The carbonation rests on the low end of the scale here and doesn't help me to enjoy the brew as much as I would like.

I thought this would be a knock out. I'm sad to say that I am somewhat disappointed, I bet I would groove with this more if I'd tried it on tap. I can see why people would really dig this, but for a PA it just doesn't do it for me. (1,064 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -19.4%

I waited for awhile to try this beer. In fact, probably ever since I joined this website I've been wanting to try it. APAs and IPAs are my favorite two styles, and as this was highly ranked, was on my "to-drink" list, yet I could never find it at my local liquor stores. (Too much demand, limited quantities stocked).

Finally found this and tried it. Drinkable, with good but not intense hop flavors/aromas. Lighter body.

Overall it's just an OK pale ale. Not bad, just not great. If you have the option of buying a Daisy Cutter (and I know this isn't really a fair option to many), buy the DC. Daisy Cutter is by far a top example of the APA style, and has a certain crispness to it that Alpha King can't boast. (714 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The appearance isn't too much. Color of one of the lighter shades of leather with an off-white head that was neither large nor long lasting. Nose is malty with hops that are dominated by the Christmas tree-like over the citrus but both are present. Flavor is surprisingly thick malt for a pale beer with a nice balance with the hops. Kind of a slick mouthfeel, but not as slimy as some. (386 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -19.4%

Really cool bottle label, foil backed picture with "It's not normal" visible in the right light. Great packaging.

Poured into a standard pint glass, brownish red, a bit turbid with a foamy head. Smell is of citrus and bitter bitter hops.

Taste, at first I taste the yummy citrus hops. Then it gets really bitter with the taste of a dark bitter malt backbone. A bit of an earthy planty flavor in there too. Maybe with a sweeter malt flavor I would, but I'm not especially enjoying this. The lingering bitterness is just not doing it for me. A Dale's Pale ale is a bit more accessible to my taste. As I go though, it's going down easier, but still not ideal. (659 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pretty nice stuff, quite sweet at first, then quite bitter towards the end. Rich palate, full of flavour, a soft smooth texture. Sweet malts, a nicely bitter aromtaic hops. Main flavours of lychee, pine, grapefruit (sweet). Satisfying bitterness. A slightly stronger version of an APA, Tasty stuff. (298 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -19.2%

A: Orange and hazy with good head. Not much lacing.

S: Sweet and hoppy; very typical

T: Syrup like taste with a light bitter finish. Couldn't pin-point out any distinct flavors...but perhaps a honey like sweetness.

M: Light body and carbonation; just about perfect for this type of beer.

D: Could drink all night if needed.

Overall: A good beer...not great. One of the better pale ales I have tasted. (405 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pale average appearance. Not alot stands out. There is an above average hop presence, but it seems to fade into thin air as you drink. Slight white head. Overall a slightly above average pale ale. (200 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -18.3%

This beer poured a nice coppery color with a small white head that stuck around for a little while, and then left a nice lace pattern down my glass. The smell was at first very hoppy and then that went away and there was a smell that was very malty. The taste was more malty than hoppy, however you could tell that there were a lot of hops in there. I think that there could have been more hops in this beer, especially seeing as how it is called alpha king. This was a nice beer, but I have had better. I will try this again if I ever get a chance. It is always hard to rate a beer on one experience. i think that this beer would be great with a RANDALL. (655 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -18.3%

Consumed 04/25/08/.

Pours a hazy medium gold with a two finger, white (light yellow?) head.

Aroma is soapy.

Flavor is restrained but interesting. Some caramel maltiness and strong but smoothly bitter. Juicy, whistle-whetting brew.

Well balanced, very drinkable. (265 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -18%

Bottle: Poured a deep amber color ale with a small white foamy head with minimal retention. Aroma of strong bitter hops with some floral malt. Taste is mostly overpowered by hops with some caramel malt. I’m not sure I get what is suppose to be so great about this beer, seems to me that it lack balance. Will give this another try though. (339 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -18%

I was hoping this would be a better beer, but was slightly disappointed. Slight head and not much if any residual lacing. The aroma was nice, slight citrus but not much else. Flavor was nothing special, a generic IPA. Maybe the batch was old...? Seemed to taste a little ’medicine-y’ at the finish. (302 characters)

Bottled 5.22.14 and poured into a teku

A: darker amber or copper

S: initially i picked up lots of malty breadiness and tart citrus aromas. after letting it sit awhile, i found an intensely concentrated aroma of orange. there's also a fair bit of pine underneath everything. i was turned off at first but the orange and pine aromas are pretty nice.

T: this beer is dry and bitter. i get a lot of citrus bitterness and a little bit of sweet orange maltiness.
not much going on here for me. it's bitter and malty, so right on point for the style, but it's a bit uninteresting.

M: very dry and bitter; medium-bodied

O: straight-up bitter and hoppy beer that didn't do it for me (679 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -18%

12 oz bottle courtesy of buckeyenation, thanks!

Medium nut brown color with a very sticky white head and lots of lacing

Smell is sweet malt and hops of a citrus grapefruit pith in nature.

taste is green. Lots of hot hop oils, bitter, grassy, and pretty unbalanced. Not enough malt backbone to stand up to the hop making it, IMO, a pale ale hop bomb.

mouthfeel is oily but very well carbonated. even with the great carbonation this one was still pretty mouth coating.

It was easy to drink, would have been more enjoyable if it had a bit more maltiness to balance it some. (578 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -18%

Thought this beer was good, but a little on the 'meh' side as far as my expectations go. Had high hopes as I've absolutely loved everything I've tried from Three Floyds so far, especially since this is their "flagship" beer. But it just didn't do it for me. It was definitely a good pale ale, however one-dimentional. Would have again, but wouldn't seek out. (358 characters)

Alpha King from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.