Follow our progress ...

Alpha King | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Alpha KingAlpha King

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2000

Reviews: 1,788 | Ratings: 6,229
4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

A dark orange color with a great off-white head. Very dark for a Pale Ale.
Hops and fruity esters dominate but bread is also present.
Very interesting malt profile. Very unique, unfortunately I cannot place the flavor. Lots of hops and a biscuity sweet body to keep things balanced.
A full body and a great mouthfeel with great carbonation.
An absolutely fabulous APA. Possibly the best I have yet to try.

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

A- Pours a light amber with one finger head. Minimal to no lacing as she goes down.

S- Piney right off the bat and citrus hops. You can smell the bitters in it as well.

T- Pine is again the starter. The hops finish is surprisingly more bitter than I expected, I don't care for the finish here.

M- Thinner easily a beer for a warmer day with the mouthfeel as light and carbonated as it is.

D- For 6 percent I would say it is very drinkable and hides the booze well. Some beers when you reach this point struggle to hide the booze while maintaining the integrity of the beer.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Alpha King moves near the top of my favorite pale ales, which was surprising because I did not really enjoy Three Floyd's Dreadnaught IPA.

The ale poured a perfect orange body with a lingering head. It looked beautiful in the glass. The aroma is citrus, pine and grapefruit tang, but a malty sweetness is also present.

The taste is bracing, but well-balanced. The NW hops are loaded into the flavor, but not at the expense of a very enjoyable, almost session-beer like smoothness. Wow, a very, very good beer.

Perhaps, my experience with this pale ale was the result of perfect lining up of the planets, but I can't remember drinking a better tasting pale ale in a long time.

4.92/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Schlafly pint glass. Dark amber, orange-tan head, slightly cloudy/hazy. Decent but not spectacular lacing. Pretty much everything I look for in a Pale.

S: Drool-inducing hop headiness. Evergreen and grapefruit-smelling hops and lots of them. The only brew I can think of that's better smelling - off the top of my head - is Troegs Nugget Nectar. And this is real, real close.

Taste. oh, dear me. Everything I want in a Pale. Everything. Hard hit of hops up fromt, mellowing into a spicy middle, finidhing with a bread-like maltiness. Very hoppy for a straight Pale. Hoppier than most IPA's, really. Delicious.

Mouthfeel takes a little ding b/c of the pure up-front strength of the hops. Once that's over and it hits the middle it opens up nicely. Smooth drinking after that.

Drinkability. I could drink this all day, every day.

This just entered by personal HoF. It is going to be a standby for as long as I can get it. I'm going back to Leo's Carry Out next weekend to get more, just to have around.

Bottom line: wow. Believe the hype. It's that good.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

had this on draft at Pazzo's in Lexington, KY. out of all the beers we tried, this was by far the best of the lineup. if you saw all of the offerings this joint has on tap, you would know this is saying something.

orange and gold, with a pale colored cap. lots of lacing all the way down the pint glass

The nose is citrusy hoppy. Not overpowering but just a good mix of orange peel, grapefruit and all things citrus

The flavor has a citrusy hop bite that is more characteristic of IPA's than APA's. plenty of malt to balance things out. Flavors include grapefruit and orange peel primarily.

The mouthfeel is plenty smooth, medium body with just the right carbonation. no complaints here.

Drinkability is high... nice and smooth, very well-balanced.

Alpha King does seem more like an IPA than a true APA. I ain't complaining because that's just my game! I will be looking for a clone to brew and if you know me, you know that is the ultimate compliment. well done, FFF.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle brought back from Indiana.

Appears - beautiful burnished red-orange; one finger thick clingy head

Smells - dazzling grapefruit, more than hints of bubblegum, slightest pine zest; refreshing blast to the sinuses

Tastes - as the scents suggest; pine, hops, sweetness and citrus; malt back; well-balanced; slowly fading hop bitter end

Mouthfeels - gushing, entire palate coating; just brighter than creamy, silky smooth; a perfect bite of carbo

Overalls - love it; an epic example of the style; savor every sip if not readily available in your area; 3 Floyds has my absolute favorite labels/marketing as well

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

Paid $1.71 for a 12 oz single.

This is probably the best standard pale ale I've ever had. Definitely the Alpha King; as the name implies, a seriously hopped beer here. Malt is second (but still present) to citrusy hops. Wonderful. A great session beer. I wish we could get more 3 Floyds stuff in NW Ohio.

4.89/5  rDev +14.8%

Picked this up tonight in the cold section at a bottle shop in Highland IN and an consuming in my Munster hotel room Dark Lord Day eve.

Poured in a clear 10 oz plastic cup. Not much head. A dark copper color - darker than what one would expect from a pale ale.

Exceptional pale ale aroma - citrus hop aroma and a touch of bread from the malt.

Flavor is clean and fruity with high hop bitterness.

Halfway through, I'm swirling to generate a head. Interesting that the head is a very light tan. A reflection on the darkness of this pale ale. Not to the point of detracting, but certainly worth noting for a pale ale.

One of the best.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured a clear mahogony topped with a frothy cream head. Head never completely dissappears from the glass. Aroma starts with a wiff of pine and a floral accent. Carbonation is low to moderate. The taste blankets the tongue with hops, but there is some malty sweetness underneath.

If you are a hophead, this is a must have, but don't rule this out if you aren't. For a beer with this kind of hop bitterness, it is very drinkable.

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%

Bottle. Clear copper/orange pour beneath a thin, but persistant bone white head.

Aromas of freshly sliced grapefruit and orange dominate with a hint of pine and caramel malts in the background.

Mouthfeel is fairly light and smooth.

Although somewhat tauted as a hop-bomb, I found the balance of this APA to be its strength. The citrusy/pine hop flavors are incredibly balanced with the caramel malt sweetness to make this a classic, benchmark APA. Finishes clean and crisp with a fairly aggressive bitterness. Great stuff!

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

bottle served around 50f....pours with a very large head into a pint glass. interesting variant on pale ale, as normally they are not hop-bombs.

Nose is overwhelmingly hops, surprise surprise. The taste starts out with a dominant hop note (don't know which variety), the background of the beer almost invisible at first. Eventually some of the pale malt fades into the aftertaste, but this is without a doubt a hop bomb, as intended.

At 6% sessioning this might be a bit short-lived, but it is a very enjoyable hoppy beer, typical of the quality I have found in 3 floyds' products.

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

A - Pours a clear, off-white head with very dense bubbles. Much of the head dissipates after a minute, leaving a nice ring. Light amber color to this beer, and it is very clear as well.

S - The two scents that caught my nostrils was the smell of floral hops and the spicy smell of alcohol. Maybe a hint of apple?

T - The hops are undeniable. Little to no malt present. As with most APAs, it left a dry, tart aftertaste in my mouth. The taste of alcohol was a little strong for a beer of this type (in my opinion).

M - Medium bodied with little carbonation

First of all, I really enjoyed the beer. My only concern is that it seems more along the lines of an IPA than APA to me. Otherwise, a great beer!

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

on-tap at Bar Deville. Hard to go wrong with 3F's. Great pour from the bartender. Rich amber color with a hoppy but balanced nose. What a great beer. Will do a bottle review sometime too. Try it for yourself. If you can find it. I go out sometimes even when I feel like kicking back and watching a movie to drink this on-tap because 6 packs are so hard to find, even though this brewery is not far from Chicago.

4.44/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was checking out some of my old reviews to see if I needed to update anything when I found that I had never reviewed Alpha King...what the hell's up with that! It's one of my favorites. So, I had to go get a sixer for a fresh viewpoint...

Anyhoo, on with the review:
Nice amber color, good head that left some lace on the glass. Too much yeast floating around. The yeast didn't bother me while drinking, but it wasn't a very appetising (sp?) sight. Grapefruit and floral hops dominate the oh-so-wonderful aroma. Pretty damn hoppy for an APA (really closer to IPA). Wonderful bitterness in this beer. It's a must for hopheads. Nice thick mouthfeel. This ale, truly, is "meat, drink, and cloth" - it's all one needs in life. At 7+ abv, this is a pretty damn drinkable beer.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured an orange color with a small, off white head, that left nice lacing on the glass. Citrusy hop aroma, as well as a bitter hop flavor, with some grape taste as well. Very nice malt backbone as well. This can be drank more frequently than Dreadnaught.

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in my Pizza Port commemorative pint glass. Pours deep orange amber with minimal white head.
Smells citrusy and grassy.
Tastes hoppy and smooth. Hops are present but not overwhelming.
Mouthfeel nice as well. I drank this straight, but I'd love to pair it with a good pizza. Very drinkable as well. The more I drank this beer, the smoother it got.

4.07/5  rDev -4.5%

Appearance is a hazy copper amber with a nice thick two finger white foam head.

Aroma is grassy, hoppy; piney, spruce, fir.
Fruity; lemon, berries.

Taste is light sweet malt with a citrusy, lemony hop aftertaste.

Nice carbonation and nice hoppy aftertaste. Very high drinkability for this one. A solid session beer.

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

A- A golden red color with a low white head and a nice amount of activity.

S- Just strong hop kick in the nose. Overall a very pungent nose.

T- Smooth taste with a very nice hop kick at the end but not overwhelming. This beer is nice and balanced with citrus flavors thrown in.

M- Good thickness and nice amount of activity it really helps the flavors.

D- A nice quick session worthy beer. I would recommend this beer ever to non hop heads because I don't like hops for the sake of hops but I enjoyed this beer a lot.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Thanks to the one and only Beerpanther - purveyor of beer extraordinare. And a helluva good guy.

I will start of by saying that I've had this beer before, and from what I remembered I kept thinking it was misclassified, and that it was really more of an IPA. Well, it isnt. This here, folks, is just one damn fine pale ale.

A: Pours a reddish amber with a small white head, which dissipates quickly leaving a ring of lacing around my pint glass. It's a very earthy looking beer - i feel it is what a good homebrew should look like.

S: Whoa hops gallore! Maybe the smell is why I thought it was an IPA. Some definite spiciness and alcohol presence in there. Some kind of fruit, maybe pomegranite in there as well.

T: Oh, so good. So good. Hops hit immediately, but they receede quickly and the sweet apple flavors dominate. Also some pear and nectarine in there. It's quite a fruity beer, but it is definitely the sweetness of the fruit that overshadows any other flavors.

M: Silky smooth. I can't really image a Pale Ale feeling better than this.

D: So easy. The sweetness really makes this an easy to drink pale ale. It is just perfect. The hope are prevelent, but not overwhelming to the point where I only want one or two.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

12oz bottle, great trade from seeswo.

pours a somewhat murky amber, slightly hazy. ridiculous, billowing head, recedes to a 1/4 layer of foam and lacing for days. 3.5 for liquid appearance, 5+ for head.

smell is awesome - tons of toasty goodness with a perfectly balanced zing from the hops. taste is solid - again big malt presence, the hops are nicely done without banging you over the head. mouthfeel is top notch - full on the palate, but finishes extremely clean.

wish this was on west coast shelves, it'd be a go-to for me.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

After having reviewed Avery's Maharaja, I thought my taste buds were primed to pay my respects to the Alpha King. I picked up a six-pack on a trip to Indy, and have been holding them for...heck, I don't know...

Appearance - Light amber in coloring, no haze. The carbonation is very fine, supporting a slight ring. Lacing is minimal.

Smell - After reading several reviews, I was expecting the typical "grapefruit/hop bomb" nose. Not the case with this one. Minor citrus nose. Slight grassy and "fresh feel nose" is about the best I can describe.

Taste - Starting from the end, nice dry finish. Well done. This could have hindered the acceptance of this brew, but thankfully the need for balance was well considered. Good malt sweetness middle adds to the profile with little hop "stickyness" hindering the taste. The initial presentation was again well balanced. I hang on this word (i.e. "balanced") for the simple reason that it is far easier to err on the side of a hop-bomb than to present a well-balanced offering.

Mouthfeel - Smooth and mellow, considering the potential. Very nicely balanced with the typical hop bite absent. Kudos to those who understand the role malt plays in the overall profile.

Drinkability - What shall I do with my remaining 5 bottles? Drink them seems in order. Very nice offering and approachable for someone who isn't a hop-head. Nicely balanced and well presented.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Reviewed at Charlie's Ale House in Munster, Indiana on 8/4/05. Pours a brilliant deep copper color with a medium size white head, compact. Nose screams hops, yeah, Northwestern Hops, yeah again. The flavor is dry and malty, and is dominated by the hops just waiting to attack. Finish is full of hops, the beer is full of hops, this is good stuff.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured into a snifter from the bottle. Can't tell if the guy on the bottle is a merman or a goblin of some sort.

Appearance: Pours a wonderfull bronze and honey hue. Nice head that did not grow too large and settled into a small layer of lace on top of this gorgeous liquid.

Smell: Hop and floral aromas mix right off the bat. As I keep smelling I detect very sweet apples almost like a crumb cake or struedel, very delicious. Great balanced aroma.

Taste: Very strange in that the hops are definitely there yet they are not. Balanced and yet etheral hop blend. Some slight citris rind, toast, apple mead, and an alcohol content that is superbly hidden.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium with average carbonation. Lightly syurpy and very pleasant.

Drinkability: WARNING! This beer has the potential to put you down for the night if you are not careful. I could easily drink 3-4 and not even realize it. It was a true pleasure to put this offering from FFF between my cheek and gums.

-cheers2beers-

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

From my mental notes.

A - Deep amber body, 1 finger head.

S - Mildly hoppy aroma of the more earthy variety, classic pale and caramel malts detectable.

T - Well hopped for an APA but still appropriate, earthy hops, well balanced. Not real sweet but rather a bit bready malt-wise.

M/D - Medium to full body, easy to drink, but I can find similar examples of the style locally.

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

This is another beer my wife brought me home :) This beer pours a dark bronze with a very light head. The smell is not overpowering but what I can catch I get nuts and alcohol. The inital taste is nutty! Beautifully nutty and the it follws with malts. A very nice beer and definatley something I could drink all night if it was more readily available on Long Island

Alpha King from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.