Alpha King Pale Ale - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Alpha King Pale AleAlpha King Pale Ale

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.66% ABV

3 Floyd’s flagship beer, Alpha King is a big American pale ale that pours a deep amber with a creamy head. This ale is brewed with Centennial, Cascade, and Warrior hops giving it an intense citrus aroma and a crisp hoppy finish.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alpha King Pale Ale Alström Bros

BEERschlitz, Oct 24, 2013
4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

A- Poured a copper clear color with an inch of off-white head. It lasted a reasonable length, and left big lacing
S- Big Floral hops bursting from my snifter glass, smells delicious
T- Burst of sharp bitter hops all over the place, a solid malt background provides a nice base, although they are deep below the hops, leaves a slowly lingering hop bitterness as it leaves your throat
M- medium body with a sharp carbonation
D- very high, delicious

Atron67, Jul 27, 2007

jman005, Feb 11, 2013

JandJMD, Aug 09, 2013

mythaeus, Nov 24, 2013

harrylee773, Feb 27, 2012

davet100, Aug 19, 2013
4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Rich mahogany body capped by a thick, sticky head. Looks good enough to drink.

Impressive citrus themes with undercurrents of ginger and hibiscus. This needs drinkin'.

Piney hops coat the tongue with a fantastic sweet/sour duality (almost like a loganberry; look it up if you don't know what it is). Spicy finish. Awesome.

Low on carbonation, almost like an English bitter with a creamy mouthfeel perfect for all-night consumption. God, I love this beer. One of my favorite sessions with a taste that keeps on giving.

malcontent, Jan 04, 2007

YalovaIA, May 09, 2012
4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Received by trade a good beer kind of nutty flavored.

A - Copper dark brown

S - malts, biscuty, bread

T - slighty acidic, small amounts of citrus

M - Froth, again slightly acidic okay.

D - Hmm after average ratings this brew has above average drink. Why? Well it doesn't fit the categories that are used but the beer is good!!!

Casey10, Aug 30, 2009

KFrank729, Oct 29, 2012

4Socialanxiety, Sep 10, 2013

Rick778, Apr 30, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -23.7%

FullObs, Nov 15, 2013

timoteo833, May 24, 2014
4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Wow. It's been too long since I've had this fantastic American Pale Ale. As I poured this beer into a straight-sided pint glass, the huge, piney hop aroma and wonderfully sustaining, lacy foam was the first thing I noticed about this beer. The first sip was full of juicy, sugary and caramel malt flavors laced with heaps of spicy, citrusy hops. The body is fairly thick, but doesn't keep me from taking larger sips. The alcohol does slow me down. I don't recall this beer being so strong. The lasting bitterness stay with you for a long time. The finish is not only quite bitter, but much drier than I remember. (I really like a dry finish.) All the complexities of this beer, the sugary, almost tropical fruit flavors that seem to meld with the citrusy hops and caramel malt are truly wonderful. When this beer is fresh the hops really shine through and almost steal the show. The remarkable complex hoppiness and maltiness of this beer make it really stand out on its own.

marcobrau, Oct 05, 2004
4.44/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Well its a damn fine APA, I for one am glad its not a Dales clone, meaning its not really an IPA in a APA wrapper.

A: Looks like it could be an Oktoberfest beer by the pour, its amber cooper colored with a nice rich creamy head that lasted about 5 minutes.

S: wow nice, fruity pine, grapefruit hops hits you at first. Those 3 hops blend quite well but not so overpowering its in the IPA range.
I get bread from the malt, and yeast, some clove like highlights also.

T: wow I can tell I am going to wish I lived closer to this place soon. This knock Dales PA, in the dirt, too bad I have to mail order to get this. ok its hoppy but balanced perfectly to style.
Its got a very bread and clove like front end and that is complemented by those hops.

M: medium body, crisp. has a bite.

D: well I only bought 2 but I wish I had bought more.

azorie, Aug 09, 2009

jadler16, May 02, 2014

Hirshi, Nov 26, 2013

djgustafson, Feb 15, 2014
4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Caramel color with a one finger creamy head which leaves moderate lacing.

Smells of sweet malt with some citric hop notes. A nice balance.

Up front this has a sweet malty taste which lays on the tongue, but it hits you with a fair amount of bitter hop bite afterwards.

Thick and slippery mouthfeel.

This was my first beer from Three Floyds, so I didn't know what to expect. It ended up reminding me a lot of SN Pale Ale or a Firestone Double Barrel Ale with a hoppier finish. Nice beer, but I won't feel too upset that we don't get it where I live. There's a number of beers in this style we do get here which are less expensive and just as enjoyable. However, I am still glad I got to try it.

JBogan, Mar 02, 2009