Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Alpha King - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha KingAlpha King

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.66% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alpha King Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,742 | Hads: 5,933
4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Even more beautiful than I remember,deep,clear coppery amber in color.Nice lace about a half an inch head that stays.Deep fruity hop nose.Awesome drinker,nice balance of sweetness with lingering hops.A little citrusy.

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

One of my all time favorites. One of the few benefits of living in Indiana is being close to Three Floyds brewery.

A- Pours a clear, dark ruby with a thick head that lasts almost all the way down

S- Scents of fruity hops, and a bit of sweet malts

T- Outstanding. A great balance between the copious hops and the malts that keep these hops from running rampant on the palate

M- Rich, inviting, but a bit oily from the hops in the aftertaste

D- Tempted to drink the whole 6, so tasty.

4.19/5  rDev -1.6%

12oz bottle to pint glass.

A: Dark amber color and clear, wispy but thin head. Visibile carbonation.

S: Lots of hops (for a regular pale ale). Citrus like grapefruit. Light fruit like pear. Also some piney notes. Nice pale carmel malts.

T: Nice carmel malt base. Good amount of sweetness. Nice hop bitterness. More citrus flavor and Pear. Very balanced.

M: Light body. Some carbonation and some dryness.

D: Very good pale ale - good session beer. Terrifiic smell. It seems like it's trying to get as close to being an IPA without crossing the line. One of the best Pale Ales I've had.

3.63/5  rDev -14.8%

Tried this for the first time and liked what i found.
A- Clear golden- orange with light head.
S- Fruity hops, slightly spicy.
T- Sharp citrus hops and grains. Nicely bitter. Stone ipa-like, but not quite as harsh.
M- Strong carbonation.
D- Good drinkability with the abv a non-factor.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Thanks to livewire78 for this one.

A - Cloudy coppery gold color with a quarter inch of thin off white head.

S - Grassy citrus hops. Grapefruit, tangerines, and fresh cut grass. Definitely smells more like an IPA than an APA.

T - Again, more like an IPA than an APA. Big luscious juicy citrus and piney hops with a bit of bitterness in the back of the mouth.

M - Moderate carbonation. Slightly creamy. Very nice, medium to full bodied mouthfeel. Finish is the only reason that I could possibly see for calling this an APA. It finishes a little thinner than I'd expect of an IPA.

D - Very drinkable. If I had easy access to this, I would drink it regularly in the summer.

Overall, this is a very good APA, though I definitely wouldn't call it that in a blind tasting. Either way, it's a top notch APA or IPA, whichever you want to call it.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

I've had this beer a million times, but never got around to reviewing it. Tonight is the night!

Poured into my favorite mug.

A: Beautiful, deep amber color.

S: mmm. Subtle hoppiness, with citrus, pine, and malt. I love this smell.

T: Just as I remember. I love this beer. Very smooth blend that gives my taste buds a high-five on the way down to kidney-town.

M: Medium bodied and perfect carbonation.

D: Very smooth, and, although not technically a session beer...this is a great session beer.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Deep turbid amber color, with a decent head. The smell is complex as well as the taste, very spicy, high combination of different hops. The spiciness is combined with high bitterness. I could feel it building up as the beer went down. Light body, clean with a medium to high carbonation.

This one can quench your hop thirst, with a unique and well balanced mix of hops.

2.66/5  rDev -37.6%

Appearance: Light amber-copper color. Clear body, filtered, average carbonation. Inch head of white retains better than average.

Smell: Some piney hops, some floral qualities, but not in the skillfully dry-hopped sense of delicacy. This doesn't have a real strong nose. Some sweet carmelized sugar scents from the malts. Oranges.

Taste: Some light citrus notes, orange and piney hop flavors. Not a real substantial malt base, some dry biscuit and carmel flavors. Not very different than the masses of pale ales out there. This tries to breach the PA - IPA boundary, but doesn't really commit to either. Only the slightest bitterness in the finish. I can't reccommend this beer because it doesn't have any direction.

Mouthfeel: Medium to low carbonation. The body is light and easy to quaff, but doesn't really offer any substance.

Drinkability: Not difficult to drink, but not interesting enough to make me want another. Just because this brewery makes some real gems, doesn't mean that everything it makes is good, or even competent.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

A: Poured with about a fingers worth of head that went away pretty quickly. Has an amazing dark orange color to it. It actually looks just like a cup of properly steeped Lipton tea. Except for the head of course.

S: It smells pretty good. It's very sweet and inviting and all that. I haven't tasted it yet but you can almost taste the bitterness to it just by smelling.

T: It's actually doesn't have as much bite as I thought it would. The bite definitely waits until the end to hit you though but up front you have nice smooth citrusy flavors. That goes into some malty balance leaving with a bit of bitterness. It's fairly sweet... almost too sweet, but nicely balanced.

M: It feels smooth in my mouth. A great feel. It leaves the back of my tongue feeling strange though, not sure if I like that. Kind of makes me want to take another drink to get rid of that sensation.

D: I could drink a couple of these and be content. Not sure if this is one I'd pick up a sixer of but I'd grab a pint when I'm out to dinner or out with friends anytime.

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured a dark red, almost slightly brown. Left a real nice head that stuck around for a while. Whilst drinking this beer, I noticed a very nice lace that clung to the glass for dear life. Very nice.

This beer had a very big taste. Most notable was the floral/bitter combination, mixed with some very heavy citrus malt flavors. Great balance with the hops too. Nice crisp mouthfeel with just the right amount of carbonation. The aftertaste was huge, with a pleasant bitter/fruity taste that lingered on my tongue till the next sip.

This is a great beer that begs to be drunk time after time

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Color is a beautiful copper color...

Smell is so citrus, so awesomely hoppy. I love IPAs and this reminded me of some of my favorites. I am a huge fan of Pride & Joy Mild Ale, so I expected some more hops out of this. I was not disappointed. Bitter, citrus and a just a hint of something sweet.

I could guzzle this right down, but the ABV is keeping me from doing that. This is going to be one of my new favorites.

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

A very good APA

A - A deep gold almost brown beer, cloudy and thick, cannot see through glass poured into

S - Smells of citrus and floral notes, sweet malts

T - first taste is a creamy maltiness that leads into the citrus and slight floral aroma, going fast into the bitterness at the end, the tast that lingers in your mouth is a floral taste

M - Mouthfeel is a creaminess and then the bite at the end, leaves the palate dry and wanting a nother drink but not parched

4.09/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

L - copper, not super see through, but a pleasant color. white head that seems to clear pretty fast
S - fruity and hops, little must which is a bit unpleasant
T - much better than the smell, sweet malts with a pleasant bitter finish - nothing earth shattering in terms of aggressive flavor but very well done and solid for the style.
F - little watery at first, but a solid effervescence - I could chug it if I wanted to waste its deliciousness - basically a nice balance of bubbles
O - pretty big fan, prob one of the best pale ales I've drank - worth coming away from reviewing beers to come back to note it for my own reference

out of a large wine glass poured out of a bottle

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours a beautiful russet-amber with a 1 finger tan head. Absolutely beautiful beer to look at. Nose is fruity and hoppy, with just hind of underlying breadiness. The palate leads with hoppy citrus, but doesn't go to the almost juice-like citrus extreme of some more modern pale ales and IPAs. The fruitiness here is anchored to a solid, bitter, hop base. The bitterness carries through in the finish, with a touch of maltiness. Mouthfeel is neither too thin nor too thick. Overall, a beautifully balanced pale ale. The bright, bitter hops, and chewy malt finish make this easily one of my favorites in the style.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Very aromatic take on the APA. Lots of citrus hop aroma, but still had some caramel malt character. A light amber appearance with good head retention. Good, clean, hop flavor with a good balance with the malt. Tasted as part of a sampler, so it was less hoppy than the IPA, but still had a good amount of hop bitterness. The bitterness didn't linger and finished clean. Had a good mouthfeel, carbonation was just right. Even with the hops (68 IBUs) it was not overly astringent and was very refreshing. A very well balanced beer and definitely their "flagship" beer.

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

A- Pours a rich amber, bronze color with a nice marshmellow colored head. Leaves a nice clingy lace after each sip.

S- The first thing to hit my nose is citrusy hops, underscored by a biscuity malt.

T- Huge taste of citrus hops, a bit of pine flavor as well. Balanced very well by a smooth caramel malt flavor. Finish is of bittering hops.

M- Medium Body, maybe a bit full for a pale ale Slightly slick mouth feel, Carbonation is a bit subtle.

D- Very drinkable. It really begs me to have another.

A very stern and assertive pale ale, but very balanced and approachable. This was the first craft beer I ever drank, over a year ago, and I wasn't a very big fan of it then. Now that my taste has developed a bit, my reaction is quite the opposite, and I know I will make this one of my regulars.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Presentation - Six pack with typically ridiculous looking 3 floyds labels on the bottles. No label on the back or neck, just the front. Into my pint glass with the handle painted 'republic of liberia'

Appearance - Shit is brown nearly. A lovely orangey brown, when held to the light it glows amber, tinged with tangerine and gold around the edges. Head retreats rapidly into foam, likely just my sedate pour. I have seen this stuff foam before at my friends. Against the light there's some floaty bits and constant bubbles nucleating and rising to sustain the foam in the middle of my glass. Don't mind the floaty bits, they're good for you.

Smell - Floral, citrus, and light light hints of malt. Can't really comment here more than that, other than to say it smells straight up like an IPA, not no APA.

Taste - Massive hops. This ain't an APA folks, this is a improvised explosive device full of hops. Comin in under the radar like, fooling me into expecting something akin to an SNPA. This has very similar hop flavors to two hearted ale by bell, and has the bitterness in the aftertaste of GL commodore perry IPA. There's a light malt backbone, it's definitely there, enough to distinguish itself from the aforementioned brews. Bready perhaps, or toast, or biscuit-like. Then the orange and grapefruit and flowery notes.

Mouthfeel - Light, crisp, refreshing, effervescent. Medium body resting on those few malt notes.

Drinkability - Other than a bit of a bitter citrus aftertaste this stuff is plenty refreshing. If you like hops, this will be right up your alley. If not, approach with caution.

The only problem here is that the malt isn't there enough for this style. While objectively I like this beer tons, it is not an APA. So I gotta go with all 4.5s here. It's three floyds, sure, but its no dark lord or behemoth, something that dominates the playing field in its respective field.

3.73/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours out maroon in color with a small white head with little retention.

Smell is very nice tropical with a little pine and some sweet caremal. Taste is definately some more nice tropical with a small amount of pine. There is also some nice caremal to even things out. Great beer. Mouthfeel is sorta medium and great for the style.

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Pours a not quite hazy, not quite clear honeycomb color with a 1.5 finger slightly tan head.

Smell: Citrusy, mostly oranges and pineapple but just a hint mango. Bits of malty sweetness and piny hops can be detected as well.

Taste: Very balanced. Aggressive, but not harsh hoppiness washed down with a sharp, citrusy malt sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Dry, but not sharp. Very smooth going down, with moderate carbonation.

Overall: Holy shit, I'm impressed. This might be the best beer I've ever had.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Really great beer that's readily available. I could drink it all day. Among FFF beers, would still take Zombie Dust over it, and maybe even Gumballhead just because it's lighter and unique for a wheat beer.

3.49/5  rDev -18.1%

This beer poured a nice coppery color with a small white head that stuck around for a little while, and then left a nice lace pattern down my glass. The smell was at first very hoppy and then that went away and there was a smell that was very malty. The taste was more malty than hoppy, however you could tell that there were a lot of hops in there. I think that there could have been more hops in this beer, especially seeing as how it is called alpha king. This was a nice beer, but I have had better. I will try this again if I ever get a chance. It is always hard to rate a beer on one experience. i think that this beer would be great with a RANDALL.

4.94/5  rDev +16%

This is the beer that is responsible for me not being able to be satisfied with any other.

Excellent color, although that doesn't do much for me. Strong hop aroma. Equal hop flavor with just enough body to balance it and a clean mouthfeel.

I can enjoy one or two, or enjoy it all day and night.

4.21/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Here we go:

A - Pours a clear copper color with just off-white head and great lacing

S - Lots of citrus, a bit of floral hops, not much else

T - Great hop-forward taste, with just enough malt at the tail end to keep it in great balance.

M - Rich, not creamy but not over-carbonated either, really good.

D - A great beer with enough alcohol to keep it interesting without being overpowering, I could go for a few.

Really nice Pale Ale

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very solid IPA. Smooth mouthfeel and hoppy taste, with a subtle background maltiness.. Pleasant, hoppy aroma. Gives an even, strong taste of hops while not being overly bitter. Definitely very drinkable as a daily beer, think this would supplant Furious as my go-to if it was available in my area.

3.24/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I'll qualify this by saying Pale Ales aren't my favorite type of brew, but I tried this one after alot of encouraging from my IPA friends and was pleasantly surprised! The taste was very interesting and hoppiness didn't overwhelm the fruit overtones. The aroma caught my interest immeadiately. The bitter finish was quite strong which I know is typical, but not to my liking. If I had to choose a Pale Ale of those I've tasted, I found Alpha King to be quite unusual and worth a try.

Alpha King from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.