Alpha King - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha KingAlpha King

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.66% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alpha King Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,735 | Hads: 5,895
4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

My favorite to drink from the Tap at the Three Floyds brewery. Served a little cool for my taste but with some warming ( I transfered it from the cup to my glass) became bursting with hop aroma and hop flavor that I swear were just picked from the binds. Even with the competing aromas of the brewery in the background, I found Alpha King could dominate them and put them in their place

. The hops were just another level above what I found in the bottled Alpha King. Rich malt flavors that I love are not accidental. Only the best barleys are used at this brewery.

I drank several other 3F's offerings outside in front of the new brewpub that will soon open - finding their delicate flavors and taste easier to appreciate.

Worth a trip to the brewery to taste these beers as Nick Floyd and his associates intended them. (831 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Schlafly pint glass. Dark amber, orange-tan head, slightly cloudy/hazy. Decent but not spectacular lacing. Pretty much everything I look for in a Pale.

S: Drool-inducing hop headiness. Evergreen and grapefruit-smelling hops and lots of them. The only brew I can think of that's better smelling - off the top of my head - is Troegs Nugget Nectar. And this is real, real close.

Taste. oh, dear me. Everything I want in a Pale. Everything. Hard hit of hops up fromt, mellowing into a spicy middle, finidhing with a bread-like maltiness. Very hoppy for a straight Pale. Hoppier than most IPA's, really. Delicious.

Mouthfeel takes a little ding b/c of the pure up-front strength of the hops. Once that's over and it hits the middle it opens up nicely. Smooth drinking after that.

Drinkability. I could drink this all day, every day.

This just entered by personal HoF. It is going to be a standby for as long as I can get it. I'm going back to Leo's Carry Out next weekend to get more, just to have around.

Bottom line: wow. Believe the hype. It's that good. (1,104 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

This is excellent! Three Floyds has done a great job with their flagship beer. Comes out a nice copper color and has very good head and nice lacing. It has a wonderful scent, very hoppy without being overly bitter. The same for the taste, along with a great caramel taste as well that serves to sweeten it a bit. Went down very easy. It was so good I got a growler of it to take home. (384 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours a medium caramel-amber topped with a two finger creamy ivory head, leaves puffy rings of lacing with webs connecting them.
Nice strong citrus hop aroma, pine and floral, clean and crisp, good malt presence in the background.
Citrus, pine, toffee and floral flavor notes, grapefruit and orange. Hoppy but 'mellow'.
Medium-full bodied, crisp and dry, a very good hoppy session APA. Thanks to Qarre for the sample. (420 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

What Amazes me about this beer is the aroma – Being a home brewer I get to know the smell of brewing very well. The mash and the boil and the addition of hops. Smells great! This beer captures all of that and retains it in the beer. This beer is unlike any beer in the world!! A nice grainy flavor and aroma. Nice hoppy flavor This is the best 6% session beer in the world Also considering Three Floyds Crazy High prices on some of the other beers, It’s also a tremendous value. Great on tap also.

This is my deserted island beer! (535 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

oh, how i've long waited to taste your juices! like the flowing locks of an auburned redhead, she drops into the glass, forming into a lovely finger of head. popping the cap off releases all that is holy, from 2 feet away, I know what is to become of my mouth. the grapefruit, the flowers, the pine, mostly the grapefruit. indeed there is a sweetness as well to this lass, and as she comfortably nuzzles my tongue, the flavors design to leave me in love with a pale ale? silly floyds. anyways, $4 a 12 oz? why not? in fact, i did it again. (539 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

Had this beer first at a great pub in indiana... pitchers were on sale that night and i was a happy camper. Finally found it again at a gourmet grocery store in Indianapolis and paid a pretty penny for it. absolutely worth every shiny copper coin. first bottle i opened had almost no carbonation i was quite disappointed... and in a cunning play by the beer gods, i never got to drink that first bottle.

let me pause for a second to tell a quick story... i've now purchased 2 different highly rated pale ales for 10 bucks a six pack. beeradvocate users gave Bell's Two Hearted Ale and Alpha King great reviews... and apparently cursed them in the process. when i purchased Two Hearted Ale a couple months ago, i spilled 2 of the bottles in a matter of an hour. a tragedy! now fast forward to the present when i just spilled a pint glass of semi-uncarbonated Alpha King on my brand new printer.

I told you the Beer Gods didn't want me to drink that sub-par brew. Thank God the next beer i cracked open produced a beautiful head with great lacing... every sip has been a pleasure and i'm gripping the glass with 2 hands this time. (1,130 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

Yep, I will make the drive, whenever possible to Indiana to aquire this pleasure. An assault of pure unadulterated delight on the senses.
Pours a luscious, redish amber, slightly hazy. An inviting white head that disapates to a minimum after a few moments, but that could of been my glass. nice lacing...I can't wait to smell it.
Strangely, smells upfront to me of complex malt and sweetness if that makes any sense. Of course the hops are there as well. I think my lupulin threshold is still on the mend from my recent bout with Bear Republic Mach X... I can't wait to taste it!
What a fantastic balance. the slightly bready malt interingles with the somewhat citrus, and earthy hops on your pallet in a seductive dance of the gods! In my opinion one of, if not the best "Pale Ale" I have had.
A near perfect mouthfeel, enough viscosity to be interesting but not too thick.
I could chuck these back my gullet for a fortnight. (931 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

Alpha king on tap into a pint glass

A-nice amber color, white 1 finger head, lots of life non stop bubbles but not crazy
S-heavenly, lots of citrus and hops
T-same as the taste, if not better
M- lively.wet finish
O-amazing, get this if you can, no way this is just a pale ale cause it kicks all other pale ale asses (322 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +15%

Ok, Father's Day is over and the boys are in bed. Now it's time to treat my self. I want something special, flavorful, but not over the top as I want to go to bed soon.
As I look into my fridge I see an Alpha King...perfect!
Appearance looks much more like an IPA than an APA. Maybe it's a double APA. Just Kidding. Oh man, I could just sit here and sniff this for hours. A cornacopia(sp) of aromas. Orange, bannana, grapefruit, mango, and pineapple come to mind. Flavor is the perfect hoppy beer. Tons of hop flavor with out the hop bite. Sure I've had hoppier beers, beers that make your mouth pucker. And I've loved them, but I've never had anything quite like this. Maybe it's super balanced, maybe the amount or type of malt they used. I don't know enough about brewing to distinguish the differences, but I do know this is a damn fine beer, and my taste buds are going crazy and jumping for joy. Feels great in the mouth. Chewy for a light to medium bodied beer. Drinkability? Well I'm going to have to switch it from my gots list to my wants as that was the only one I had. But when I get another one it will go fast.
The perfect beer to cap off a fine father's day. (1,176 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +14.5%

Picked this up tonight in the cold section at a bottle shop in Highland IN and an consuming in my Munster hotel room Dark Lord Day eve.

Poured in a clear 10 oz plastic cup. Not much head. A dark copper color - darker than what one would expect from a pale ale.

Exceptional pale ale aroma - citrus hop aroma and a touch of bread from the malt.

Flavor is clean and fruity with high hop bitterness.

Halfway through, I'm swirling to generate a head. Interesting that the head is a very light tan. A reflection on the darkness of this pale ale. Not to the point of detracting, but certainly worth noting for a pale ale.

One of the best. (641 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Hands down one of my favorite beers. It has a strong citrus smell followed by a fresh hoppy scent. It rolls down the palette, intoxicating and bursting with flavor. I have had the opportunity to have a glass from a cask at Three Floyd's brew pub and the flavors are more present than on the tap or in the bottle. Dont expect to like any "lite" beer after this gem. (364 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

I had this beer on tap several weeks ago at the Comet cafe in Milwaukee. I loved it ... I found it at an offsale in Hudson Wisconsin (chicones) and bought a six .... what a great beer a nice balance between hops and just enough malts. This might become my new go--to beer when I don't feel like an IPA or Imperiall IPA. Others have described the beer well and the nuances - I can highly recommend this beer if you like a great not too hoppy Pale Ale. (450 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +14.1%

I remember the first time I has this beer. Instead of a case of Rhinelander, I started buying a bunch of craft and import singles. One booze fueled night, fate led me to 3F Alpha King. The only thing I remember from the actual taste is thinking they'd infused it with grapefruit. Thus was the beginning of my addiction to hops. At this point hopmarred beers are a dime a dozen, it is the rare one that actually balances it that rates high. This is not an extreme beer. It is just a really great IPA. Seek it out. (512 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +14.1%

Slightly cloudy off-orange in color. Decent tiny tan head that maintains superior retention. Near sugary lines of patching will retain until the sunlight of tomorrow is upon us. The nose is largely citrus hops, a sinus cleansing dose; pine cones and grapefruit, crossing the IPA side here! Bold and big…are the hops, citrus and piney in flavor. To get technical, my seasoned taste buds can quickly pick up on the centennial and cascade hop offerings; warrior hops, hmm. Massive flavor of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice and orange peels. There is a moderate caramel malt backbone, yet it is certainly second fiddle to the three letter h word. Full bodied and loaded with flavor. The best APA on the market, search for it, find it, secure it. World class! A liquid-hops-induced delight! (788 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +14.1%

went in with skepticism, and was quickly put in my place. this may very well live up to the hype of being the best APA out there.

thick, cloudy orange-brown color with a big head and lots of sticky lacing. smells like fruit preserves, orange juice, hops, herbs, caramel. tastes like herbal tea, natural fruit juices -- cherry, orange, grapefruit, peach...; tons of hops, but they're nicely blended with bread and malt flavors. this is complex, which is something i don't normally associate with the style. robust in the mouth, but very smooth, and very refreshing. this could be guzzled by the gallon, the only obstacle being the abv. (637 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured a hazy amber into a pint glass, smells of citrus like many others have stated. Man does this stuff taste great. A nice slap of hops, floral aromas and malts. The hoppy aftertaste comes back for another round. Wow! There is no point in rambling any further. If you like APAs - GET SOME! Simply delicious. This is the best beer I have ever had. (349 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +14.1%

Dark Copper in color, smells like a good southern biscut, but earthier... coming from the hops. The taste and mouthfeel go hand in hand. It's a two stage beer, hops vs malts, with each trying to steal the stage from the other, yet the juxtaposition of the two holds it all together. It has a natural sweetness like maple syrup.

This beer is uber drinkable and is a fantastic, complex beer that will not, no matter how hard you try, taste the same everytime. That is not because it's inconsistent between brewings, but rather because the taste will conjur up different memories and imagery everytime... it's that good. (620 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +14.1%

Picked this one up on a trade as a toss in. I appreciate it bro!

Appearance: Nice bronze ale in color. Like that of a shiny new penny! Actually it is a solid looking Pale Ale, although its not all that pale. Head retention is pretty solid, nothing overly carbonated but it sits nicely on top of the beer throughout the entire pour.

Smell: Damn! This beer has tons of citrus, grapefruit, tangerines, tropical fruits like mangos and some peach notes. It has a nice aromas, one of the best I have ever ran across.

Taste: The nose pretty much leads you to where the taste is. Its very tropical fruit driven with the aforementioned fruits dominant. Some grassy malts going on as well. Decent body and my only complaint is that it is a bit thick on the mouthfeel. I wish it finished a little cleaner, but that is a mild complaint really.

Overall: Solid brew. I would love to get my hands on more of this one! (907 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

Big thanks to beereality for the beer.

Pours out to a transparent bronze. Nice offwhite head with good lacing. Smell is interesting, I don't know how to describe it.

Initial taste is nutty. Then the sweet malts hit your palate. Ends with a very fruity hops taste to stay in your mouth. Bitterness doesn't come around until well after your sip.

Texture seems a little thick, compaired to water.

All in All, this is a very fine well built beer. It's a damn shame that it's not available in Texas. (498 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

Pale Ale? Try hoppy IPA. The hops put other PA's to shame. This is one of my fav's, but I don't want to stock it all the time because the artwork on the bottle is a little frightening. If you can get past that, it's one fine PA....probably the best. Typical PA color and head on the pour, but right away you can detect the hops in the nose. Taste is complex and incredible. Good balance of malt and hops at first, then the hops kick in in the finish and you get that citrusy sensation that comes with the stronger IPA's....in fact, close to a Double IPA. Buy this one if you see it!!! (584 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

This is my go-to beer. I can't express how much I love this one. Whether you want to call this an APA or an IPA it suits either label. Just pure hoppy brilliance.

The beer pours a beautiful deep orange with a nice white head.

The nose is almost all hops. Lots of pine with some subtle grapefruit. As a hop-head, the smell just makes me want to dive right in, and I usually do just that.

The taste does not disappoint the nose. Hops is what you smell, and that is exactly what you taste. Tons of pine and citrus bitterness. Some malt shows up on the back end, but the palate is pretty hop fried by that point. lol.

This is the flag ship beer of my favorite brewery. I love this beer. Top 10 favorite of mine definitly. Thanks, FFF. (735 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

I have been to the tops of the pale ale mountain after drinking this beer! Looks nice and dark auburn with a creamy head. Good carbonation. Smell is hoppy and earthy with an acidic burn in the nose. Taste brings me those juicy citrus centennial hops. There must be cascade hops in here as well. But there's a sharp acidic bitterness in the finish which makes this beer nearly perfect. Alcohol is wonderful in its bite. Malt is not the strength here but definitely goes well with the hops. There a floral element in the flavor and maybe, just maybe a bit of nuttyness in the bottom. Great, great beer, I need to go get more! (623 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

Picked up a growler the night before the XV party last weekend.

A: amber color with a orange hue. Carbonation was muted after a week in the growler but still grew a 1 finger head after an aggressive pour. As I am drinking it leaves a modest lacing down the glass.

S: Smells of piney grapefruit. Don't pick up any malt but don't fault them on this based on their hop forward reputation.

T: resinous citrus hop flavor with a modest but good balance of malt sweetness backing it up. Does not have an overly aggressive back of the tongue bitter.

M: This is a growler so again the carbonation is somewhat muted. I enjoy this though as it makes a somewhat dry beer a bit more slick.

O: This is my favorite pale ale style. This is the brewery that started the midwest craft revolution and for good reason. This is a wonderfully balanced beer and hopefully someday will be a session beer that I can enjoy at my local watering hole here in Minnesota! (947 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured out of a bottle into my pint glass. I've had the dreadnaught which blew my mind and I have a Dark Lord in my fridge. This will be my second FFF offering.

A - A darker golden color with an off white head.

S - Hops, floral aroma, citrus, just as nice as my college GF.

T - Nice level of hops for a pale ale. A subtle piney bitterness with a citrus sweetness to balance it out

M - Smooth, Crisp, Refreshing

D - Probably the best Pale Ale I have ever had. Very well done. I have loved their ipa and pale ale, cant wait to crack open the dark lord. (558 characters)

Alpha King from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.