Alpha King - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha KingAlpha King

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.66% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alpha King Alström Bros
4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

Drank from a 12 fl oz/355 ml bottle
Served in a pint glass
Thanks to Jeager for including this as an extra in our trade

The beer poured a crystal clear, deep reddish-amber color with a two-finger, frothy, off-white head that slowly faded to a thick ring. Spotty blocks of lacing trickled down the glass.

The aroma was intensely hoppy yet balanced. A bold, citrusy, spicy orange quality was apparent along with rich, sweet, caramel malts.

The taste was hoppy and zesty yet incredibly smooth and well balanced. Malty and a touch sweet up front with some mild brown sugar notes. Citrus fruits (candied orange peel and grapefruit) were immediately noticeable as well. Spicy in the center. The snappy and clean finish was piny and dry initially and became more intense (and more bitter) as the beer warmed.

The mouthfeel was medium/fuller bodied for the style. Outrageously creamy with a fine, medium carbonation. Silky smooth and supple on the palate.

Drinkability was simply outstanding. This is an easy-drinking yet oh-so-flavorful pale ale. What more could one ask for from a session brew?

Simply put, this is an incredibly solid and well-crafted beer. For a pale ale, it was definitely the most intense version I have yet to try (it more closely resembled an IPA than a pale ale). Overall, another winner from the folks at Three Floyds.

4.23/5  rDev -0.7%

i excitedly pour this into my ballast point pint glass. a great two finger head pops up above the amber color. fantastic retention. leaves a nice creamy amount of lacing on the sides.

smell is a nice mix of sweet malt and good hops.

taste is great. drinks easy. nice hop presence. citrusy and refreshing. great sweetness in the aftertaste.

mouth is smoooth. goes down incredibly easy.

my buddy vic put it the best. you could drink 50 of these. if i had the option to i could easily put back a sixer of this.

4.94/5  rDev +16%

This is the beer that is responsible for me not being able to be satisfied with any other.

Excellent color, although that doesn't do much for me. Strong hop aroma. Equal hop flavor with just enough body to balance it and a clean mouthfeel.

I can enjoy one or two, or enjoy it all day and night.

4.11/5  rDev -3.5%

Let me start by saying yummy...this is what I look for in a pale ale.

In the glass, the beer had a rich copper color to it, with a thick 1 inch head that clung heavily to the sides of the glass as it receded. The opacity of the beer caused me to do a double take; it looked only slightly clearer than a hefeweissen.

The smell was not as potent as some recent beers that I have tried. I picked up mostly sweet and malty notes, with a mild hop character as well.

The taste was delicious: the beer began mildly sweet and finished mildly dry with some nice fruity/caramel notes, not too overpowering in any flavor, but just enough to make you want to drink more. Well balanced. I picked up a much stronger citrus/grass/hop flavor when I burped (I love the beers that give hop burps) Also, I enjoyed the heavier body of the beer. A couple of these would fill you right up.

3.99/5  rDev -6.3%

Alpha King pours a fairly murky, amber color with gold highlights and an off-white head. Lots of citrus hops on the nose, along with some underlying caramel notes.

The taste starts with sweet caramel, followed by bunches of hop flavor and bitterness. Lots of citrus flavors, including pineapple juice. The mouthfeel is nice and full with a medium amount of carbonation.

Overall, I really liked this beer but it didn't quite live up to the hype.

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

I swung by the stellar Neil St. Piccadilly this morning for some wares, since I hadn't done any ardent sampling in weeks. Great timing on my part. In addition to nabbing what should be some nice winter beers and more, it was a treat to see that they had some Three Floyds selections. I hadn't tried a new pale ale in quite some time, and this was just what the beer doctor ordered.

Alpha King made a magnificent first impression on the eyes and nose. Two pillowy fingers of white froth lay atop a clear burnt orange body, coating the Ommegang glass with decorative lacing--beautiful. I'm not kidding when I say that, after opening Alpha King, I stood at the counter in my kitchen and sniffed the bottle for a full minute. When I judge a beer's aroma, I do so out of the glass, but it starts for me out of the bottle. Holy crap! It's flush with citrus hops, loaded with tangerine and orange, and doesn't fade as it warms. Wow.

It's listed as a pale ale, but is at least as much an IPA given the heavy hop taste, that bitter flavor, that I love. Yet it's also smooth and creamy as a good pale ale. Both styles are represented well, incorporating fruit and hop bitterness, all with some malt heft. Very nice, even with a slight flattening near the end.

This is not to be missed, a fabulous pale ale that I'd contend is more IPA than APA. Regardless, hop lovers shouldn't be disappointed after enjoying this, a genuine treat and the best in what few Three Floyds wares I've had the good fortune to sample. It won't be the last time. Outstanding.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

A: Appearance is golden with very clingy white lacing. VERY inviting to say the least!!

S: Citrus right from the opening of the bottle. Hop aroma and a little pine scent.

T: Dead on for this style. Alpha King I am not worthy of your greatness.

M: Full and sticky. Stays with you all the way from front to back and leaves you wanting that next sip!!

D: Exceptionally high. I have had this beer on so many occasions yet never took the time to review. Could easily drink the four that I have left.

This is just a fantastic american pale ale. Three Floyds shows me again that they know how to put out high quality beer. From now on ,I will give the King the respect he deserves!!

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

My absolute favorite beer at the moment!!!

Pours a hazy copper color into the pint glass with an agressive pour produces a creamy 1" head that dissapears quickly but leaves a medium lace around the glass as I drink.

Smell is like whoa!!!! Very hoppy, which I love so I was excited. Also citrus is very evident especially grapefruit.

Tastes just like I expected after smelling it. Hoppy, citrus, with a slight pine hint. Tastes like fresh cut grapefruit. My favorite tasting pale ale to date. Three Floyds is lying when they call this a pale ale. Should be an IPA. A pleasent bitterness creeps up after you swallow. I love the taste...

Sticks to the mouth perfectly

I consider this to be very drinkable. Wouldn't quite call it a session beer but wouldn't mind having 3 or 4.

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

a: This was a clear golden color with reddish cherry highlights. It was served to me with a thick, creamy white head that lasted until the glass was empty.

s: Wave after wave of fresh citric hops. Wonderful!

t: This is as perfect as a one dimensional beer can be. Just a fresh, citric hop blast. Nothing subtle and very little malt backbone.

m: Bless the Brass Rail for serving this at a proper temperature. I've never had such a creamy pale ale. It also had a nice, sticky, resious feel.

d: What a tease. I find my new favorite pale ale on-tap at the Brass Rail, and now I might never find it again.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a deep copper red color with a decent sized white head.

Smell is citrus pine and resin mixed with apple, pineapple, and pear. There is a decent malty caramel character hiding behind the hops.

Taste is hoppy and bitter but is balanced nicely with a bit of malt sweetness.

Mouthfeel is not too astringent.

Drinikability is very high. This is in my top 3 IPAs.

4.6/5  rDev +8%

Poured a violent pour into a pint glass. Look was light red copper, nice little lacing.
Smell was fruity, mellow malt, Bannana bread, Smells a little musty. Heavy pale ale odor.
Taste was a hop forward bitterness. Then a perfect balance of the light and carmel malts. Ends with a slight bitterness. Medium body fits the style.
Mouthfell was very smooth yet bitter.
This is by far the best APA ive ever had. It is very drinkable and walks the line of becoming an east coast style ipa. Though not overly bitter. If you haven't had this beer your missing out!

Appearance: A nice pour, has a reddish tint to it and it appears a little cloudy. Not much of a head (poured into a pint glass) which reduced to a very thin lacing.

Smell: Hops. Lots of hops. A little citrus is in there as well.

Taste: Just as hoppy as it smells - very nice! I tend to find the citrus in the back as well. A nice balance with the bitterness that lingers in the mouth.

Mouthfeel: Kind of pungent, leaves the mouth a little dry once swallowed.

Drinkability: This is definitely an enjoyable beer. It packs a bit of a punch (for me anyway) and the bitterness is nice -- something that could be sipped on for a long night.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours an orangish copper color with a thick tan head. The nose has a big bouquet of fruity and floral hops along with big fruity malts. Taste is also an explosion of citrusy hops over sweet bready malts. A medium body is nicely carbonated and goes down quite well. A very well made brew.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured to a nice offwhite head. Head didnt last real long. Had some nice lacing that left rings with every swallow. Ale was reddish brown in color. Also poured a little cloudy. Smelled of floral and hops. You know that flowery smell. Also of malt and pine. Had a strong slightly bitter pine taste. Also tasted malt and a little alcohol. Slightly bitter aftertaste hung around a while. Felt good in the mouth. I thought the carbonation was right. Felt light. The problem you run into is that you just want to start chugging because its tastes to damn good. You would have to be carefull with the slightly higher alcohol content.

4.07/5  rDev -4.5%

A great extra from a generous BA knocks off an unlisted want. A vigorous pour yields a 1 finger head. Dark reddish brown with minimal lacing. There is a nice floral hop aroma with a trace of citrus. The taste is well balanced, with a small and sweet malt backbone balancing out the astringent hops. The beer is medium bodied with good carbonation, and I want another.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

america IPA style for a pale. amber IPA look with spotty lace. quite malty and backed with some hop fruitiness. grapefruit, orange peel, (both mature sweet and young bitter), and the metallic nature of green tea. mild floral jasimine. solid pale. but more an IPA. american. very plentiful approach. doesn't really pick up on the more delicate aspects of a pale. great beer but the power drill mistaken for a screwdriver.

4.77/5  rDev +12%

Poured out of 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A- Dark golden brown color. Slight amount of white fluffy head that dissipated through consumption.

S- Smell of west coast hops and citrus galore.

T- Taste is in the same category as Pliny and Dreadnaught. Hops are very present, but not overly powering. Citrus flavor adds a nice balance to even out the strong hop flavor.

D- Medium bodied beer with little carbonation.

Wow! Three Floyds has impressed me again. This is a quality beer that can easily be mistaken for an IPA and still hang with the best of them.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Normally, when I sit down at my favorite pub, the bartendar knows that I will order one of two beers. But, this past week, I was feeling a bit bold and decided to embark on an adventure and have only consumed beers that I have not had before (or in quite some time). While on this adventure, I found myself into a beautifully poured pint of Alpha King.

A- A cloudy, light copper color. A nice, airy small head that quickly fell.

S- Hops were quite noticable- then took in a fruity and floral aroma and something that reminded me of being in the woods.

T- I think the fruity smell influenced my ability to taste this beer. So, a decent amount of fruit and hops on the front end...a bit pine-y on the back.

M- Low carbonation- easy but somewhat dull.

D- Delicious!

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

Received this puppy from Beereality in a trade. Thanks amigo!

Appearance: Rusty copper orange with little head or lacing.

Smell: Refreshing and delicious! More hop presence than I was expecting from a Pale Ale. Some grapefruit and a slight pine/floral hop smell.

Taste: Amazingly crisp and refreshing with a wonderful hop presence. Not overpowering, but the hops do grab your attention.

Mouthfeel: low carbonation but still an easy drinker.

Drinkability: doesn't get any easier to drink than this. This would go in my permanent rotation if it was readily available on the east coast.

4.36/5  rDev +2.3%

Sampled this six pack while lost in Southern Indiana. Out of the bottle it poured a copper color with some mandarin highlights around the edges. The off white head was fluffy, laced well and retained well too. Great looking brew. The aroma was bright and hoppy, lots of citrus, some floral notes and slightly resinous. The taste was equally spot-on for the style, first a bitter hop bite followed by grapefruit and lemon zest. Behind that was the deeper malt balance, biscuity and solid along with some pine. As I continued to sample it the hops developed more nuances, orange zest, kumquat and hemp or it's smokable cousin. Quite complex and yet approachable like that cute, late 20's, school-teacher you want to chat up at the end of the bar. The mouthfeel was smooth, medium bodied and it finishes crisp. Like the school teacher, glad I took this one home.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Hazy copper body topped by small beige head. Aroma is medium sweet, grapefruit. Taste is grapefruit, medium sweet, fairly intense bitterness. Still, the sweetness lends decent balance to the hops. Medium body. Nice hoppy ale. A little fruity, nice finish. Another great beer from Three Floyds.

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

This is a really tasty pale ale. Often I am bored by pales and feel little motivation to drink them. Alpha King is certainly an exception. Serious malt foundation and serious hops. Though the hops are well balanced against the malt flavors and don't drown the flavor. If you told me this was an east coast IPA, I wouldn't question it. Regardless of labels, this is a great one.

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

A: Nice pale amber color, almost clear but with a minimal haze. Head is a decent foamy off white color that dissipates at an average speed leaving a nice blanket on the surface. Lacing is also fairly good, leaving some sticky curtains around the sides.

S: Smells like a winner to me, citrus abound, slightly resinous, malt sweetness mixed with a nice hop bitterness. Not as aromatic and mouth watering as Gumballhead, but nonetheless still a great aroma all around.

T: Taste starts off with a bitter hop bite, but nothing outrageous...just a quick blast of resinous hops to set the stage, followed by a melody of citrus flavors and then a sweeter caramel like malt finish to round it out.

M: Carbonation, like almost all FFF beers, is always just right. Crisp, refreshing drink. This is my first meal of the day :) Goes down real easy. Smooth taste and creamy feel near the end.

D: As far as Pale Ale's go this is right up there. Maybe I'm partial to the brewery after trying most of their stuff and being thoroughly impressed, but what can I say, I like the way FFF makes beer. Highly drinkable.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

It pours copper colored with an off-white head and good lacing. We're off to a good start.

The smell isn't terribly strong, but some nice floral hops greet you when you take a whiff. And is that a hint of sweet maltiness I detect?

The flavor? Holy shit. This is the hoppiest APA (or any non-IPA pale ale) I've ever tasted. The best part is, it even has a touch of maltiness in the finish. The upfront, however, is all hops. Floral and citrusy, and they accompany the minor malt in the finish with some great hop bitterness. If I was blindfolded, there's no way that I would think that this was anything else but an IPA.

The mouthfeel is a touch beyond medium-bodied. It's not chewy, but it's thicker than your average pale ale. I dig it.

I'm definitely going to have to add this to the regular beer rotation from here on out. Three Floyd's continues to make a fan out of me. This surpasses Robert the Bruce as my favorite amongst their kickass brands.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Got this on trade from jwinship83 - thanks!

A - Pours a hazy copper/orange. Small off-white head that stays throughout the glass.

S - Floral aroma with strong citrus hops. Very crisp smelling.

T - Where the malts at? Hop dominance up front, but without the typical bitterness, they are sweet and crisp. Subtle malt finish.

M - Medium body, slightly sticky sweet hop aftertaste.

D - So crisp and fresh tasting, easy drinker here. Excellent APA.

Alpha King from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.