Alpha King - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha KingAlpha King

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.66% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alpha King Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,732 | Hads: 5,887
4.63/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Alpha King is alphucking good. That's a play on the sofa king fake commercial - it's sofa king good. It is amazing and worth all the praise. I have had other good, no great, brews from this brewer, but never before this gem, and now I think they deserve blind faith from this one great brew.

It is a little dark and has decent lace. The aroma is not pronounced, but it is still sublime.

The taste is amazing. Malty, for sure, but still well balanced with all kinds of hops bitterness. This is the best tasting pale ale ever. The aftertaste is sad, because the ale is going away. Otherwise, it too is sublime, with malts and hops staying on the tongue for a long time. It tastes as though the alcohol would preclude you from drinking more than one, but I think I could do SEVERAL of these, and be in heaven, so I will try to get more. But alas, they are rare, and in demand. Rightfully so. (890 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into my dogfish head IPA glass.
Appearance is a clear amber color with two finger big bubble head.
Aroma is great. Pine, floral, slight citrus.
Flavor is pine, hop bitterness and floral with a perfectly balanced malt backbone.
If I can describe this beer in one word it's "balanced".
Mouthfeel is medium with a slight lingering bitterness.
Overall I could drink 6 of these and not co plain one bit.
Paired excellently with my grilled chicken dinner.
Perfect end to the day. (487 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A - rich red/amber color

N - citrus and subtle apple fruit aroma very pleasing to the nostrils

M - light but creamy mouth feel

T - strong hoppy bitterness with the citrus and apples right there to accent. Great refreshing fruit taste

O - love this beer. I wasn't expecting to like this beer as much as I did when first tried. With its relative easy availability (at least here in Illinois close to the Indiana border) and excellent balance of hoppy/fruity flavor, this will be a go to beer for me for all occasions. (521 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Served on tap in Carmel IN.

A: Very deep amber with about a finger off white head with moderate retention.

S: moderate floral hop aroma with citrus notes, particularly grapefruit and strong orange. Very good.

T: virtually like the smell - floral hop bite with lingering citrus notes without being too piney like an IPA. Hits the right notes.

M: creamy mouthfeel but medium bodied and very fresh.

Not innovative but does everything right in one of my favorite styles. (471 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I really don't know why I haven't rated this beer in the past. I have been thoroughly enjoying this beer for over 10 years. This truly is one of my favorite go to IPA's. Not over the top and really no frills, just a great drinking brew. And finally here is my review.

I pour this brew from about 4 inches above the glass to achieve two full fingers of rocky light tan head. Body is a perfect tone of deep mahogany amber.

Nose is very nice with tones of citrus and fresh cut grass. Soft but nicely fragrant.

With first sip you are comforted by how incredibly balanced this beer is. The malt backbone is perfect here in how it works with the very piney, woodsy hops that play all over the palate. Abrasive and wonderfully bitter without being harsh in any way.

Really well drinkable and a great accompaniment to lots of food. Mouthfeel is attractive and enjoyable. This is a classic IPA. (892 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I should have know it was fresh but bottled 5/12/14 so less than two weeks old! Does it ever get old though it sells so fast and at $3.99 a bottle DAMN!

A - Looks more like a Old ale than a pale ale. A very deep copper brown with a solid 2 inches of head. Makes for great lacing and still a a ring of lace after a few sips!
S - Really muted smell mild pine or citrus and no pale malts I can detect. I know it's not me I just smelled a Victory 1337 and it was very hoppy.
T - Ok so its defiantly got an intense hop bite which clings to the tongue after each sip. West coast abrasive but mild enough to session I am really digging this.
M - For the ABV its quite light to medium and smooth. I could see why this is popular.

Overall I could see why this brewery is quite good for an extreme pale ale it flourishes and I would consider picking up more offerings especially if they started using the 12oz format more often! (920 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very solid IPA. Smooth mouthfeel and hoppy taste, with a subtle background maltiness.. Pleasant, hoppy aroma. Gives an even, strong taste of hops while not being overly bitter. Definitely very drinkable as a daily beer, think this would supplant Furious as my go-to if it was available in my area. (297 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 5/7- drank 5/21...only 2 weeks old!

A- Pours amber with a tallish white head as poured. Fades to a light covering with lacing on the glass.

S- Mid level smell of hops...not overpowering

T- Hops don't disappoint. Citrus flavor are nice and balanced.

MF- Feels smooth in the mouth. Coats it and fades aways at a good pace to not oulive its welcome, but leave you ready for the next gulp.

O- Overall, its an enjoyable pale ale. Easy drinking, tasty and easier to get than most other 3 Floyds. (503 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Served on tap into a nonic glass.

A- Poured a dark orange color with off-white frothy head that left chunky lace.

S- Citrusy, piney, sweet caramel, grapefruit, and floral notes.

T- Citrusy, piney, sweet caramel, sweet cracker malt, grapefruit, and floral notes.

M- Incredibly smooth and creamy, dry, soft carbonation, medium body, and refreshing.

O- An incredibly balanced and smooth pale ale. I was shocked my how impressive and strong the malt character was on this beer, it laid a great foundation for all the hop character. (532 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: The beer is very hazy and caramel amber in color. It poured with a quarter finger high beige head that quickly died down, leaving lacy webbing of bubbles on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of caramel malts are present in the nose underscored by notes of citrusy hops. The citrus becomes stronger as the beer warms up.
T: Like the smell, the taste starts out with flavors of caramel malts and transitions of flavors of citrusy hops that linger through the finish and contribute a light amount of bitterness.
M: It feels medium-bodied and very crisp on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer has a very good balance between the malts and hops—you get a lot of the citrusy aromas and flavors with only a slight amount of bitterness. (807 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a rather enjoyable pale ale. Please note that pale ales, IPA's etc are on the low end of my spectrum for beer likes, which will certainly bias this review.

Appearance: Outstanding pour. Very rich amber color, opaque in nature, with an initial one inch head. The appearance his very appetizing. Head quickly foams down to a thin line.

Smell: There is a slight citrus undertone to the more powerful straight hops aroma. Not overwhelming, but certainly enticing.

Taste: There is a subtle sweetness hiding under the hoppy bitterness. I think the bitterness is a little overpowering for my tastes, it hits quite hard initially, I can detect a citrusy sweetness underneath, and then it finishes quite bitter. The bitterness lingers in the mouth 30 seconds after the last swallow. I understand this is in the IPA spectrum, but that is not the flavor I appreciate to linger in a beer. Some would score this quite high for their fondness of this quality.

Mouthfeel: A rather effervescent beer; sparkly and pops in the mouth with every drink.

Overall: This is a very good craft beer, I would certainly share this among those who love their hoppy bitter beer. (1,165 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -5.4%

Bottle shared with stillmatic2232.

Pours a dark amber, with a one inch head, and some good lacing down the glass.

Smells like spicy, earthy hops, caramelly, toasty malt, and a bit of pine.

This tastes like a very well balanced pale ale. It's hoppy, but not overwhelmingly so. There's a good malt backbone that tastes crackery and toasty, alongside a nice hoppiness reminiscent of pine, citrus, and earthy pepperiness (whatever, that's not really a word).

Medium bodied, creamy mouthfeel, low carbonation. Quite drinkable.

Not flashy, just pretty delicious. (561 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Three Floyds Alpha King

F=6 ?

Poured into pint glass

A: Dark amber to brown in color as carbination slowly rises to the top of glass

S: Meh . . . nothin' really

T: Ok, again . . . Nothin' exciting. Not bad but rather boring

M: Medium-sized feel. Good bitter finish

O: Was kinda excited to try my first 3F offering but Alpha King is a boring beer. Just not fun to me. Not sure what the hype is about. I won't be back. (424 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance:
Hazy, Deep Caramel, Amber color, excellent lacing, small-slightly off white head
Nose:
Not overpowering, subtle, piney hops, slight malt, crisp and clean
Palate:
Crisp and refreshing hops notes, light malt, citrus, floral with some fresh fruit notes weaving in and out
Overall:
One of my favorites from 3 Floyds, it often gets overshadowed by Gumball head, but just like I said with Zombie Dust, this is the better pint.

-BeerandWhiskeyHQ.com (456 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -18%

I was hoping this would be a better beer, but was slightly disappointed. Slight head and not much if any residual lacing. The aroma was nice, slight citrus but not much else. Flavor was nothing special, a generic IPA. Maybe the batch was old...? Seemed to taste a little ’medicine-y’ at the finish. (302 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -8.4%

This is my first time drinking a Three Floyds beer. I am a West Coast/NW IPA type of guy, so this is a first. My first impression was, it's alright. After have a few more drinks I began to appreciate the beer. I will be receiving some other Three Floyds in a couple of trades and am looking forward to tasting some of their other higher rated beers. The difference between the brewing is noticeable. SoCal IPAs are hoppy and NW IPAs are more subdued, but more complex...This APA can fit the mold.

This is a solid beer. (519 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into tulip glass

Thanks to brewzma for this!

A- a dark red with a very frothy head. Looks almost like a cream.

S- citrus hops with a little but of pine and sweetness to it. Hints of grape as well.

T- a lot of honey taste with hints of citrusy hops and pine. Aftertaste has a strong pine taste like eating grass or flowers , but in a good way.

M- very very thick for a pale ale. Especially on the back end. Slight carbonation but nothing too fizzy in the mouth which is strange for how carbonated it was when i poured it.

O- overall, this is good. Smooth and delicious. The hops aren't over powering and the hops blend really with the malt. Not the best pale ale but very good. (704 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -2.6%

A-Pours darker than I would have expected. It's coppery. Head is an off-white growth. It retains quite well, keeping most of its height throughout. Consistent lacing rings.

S-Pine and citrus without a doubt. Grassy as well. Also some caramel malt and bread. Assertively hoppy upon each sniff. More IPA than anything else.

T-Chewy pine and grass with a bunch of candied oranges and grapefruits. Some caramel and bread crust. Straightforward but well built.

M-Bitter and dry. Medium bodied. Drinks quite easily. Aftertaste is moderately long lasting.

O-I have always wanted an Alpha King. Finally got the go-ahead on this one. I found it to be an above average IPA/Pale Ale hybrid but not much more than that. (711 characters)

4.27/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Served on-tap at Sergio's World Beers in Louisville, KY

A: Pours a very lightly hazy medium golden honey orange in color with light to moderate amounts of active visible carbonation and significant amounts of copper highlights. The beer has a finger tall dense foamy light beige head that slowly reduces to a thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Strong aromas of citrus/grapefruit zest, citrus/orange rind, and herbal hops over a light aroma of slightly sweet grainy malts.

T: Upfront there are light flavors of slightly sweet grainy malts with a touch of caramel malts as well. That is followed by the just shy of moderate flavors of the hops - citrus/grapefruit zest, citrus/orange rind, and herbal. Light amounts of lingering bitterness are observed.

M: Medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly sticky and hints of dryness in the finish.

O: This is a wonderful beer that I thoroughly enjoyed and really appreciated trying after looking for it during my travels over the last couple of years. Definitely one I wish I had easier access to and that I could enjoy more readily. Highly recommend and definitely in my top 100 of all time. (1,292 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Hazy almond shell brown, solid stream of bubbles. Off-white head with stellar retention, polka dotted lacing. A little dark for a 'pale ale' but enticing nevertheless. Plus that head....

S: Pine resins and citrus. Clean and clear.

T: Nose plus mild malt sweetness. Tasty.

M: Medium bodied, creamy. Fine carbonation.

O: Really nice, good hop presence and balanced by malts. But if I've gone out of my way enough to find it, there will probably be it's better version (Zombie Dust) available, too. (502 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

very copper pour with lots of effervescence and a super creamy tan head. a very beautiful pour and almost perfect in appearance. that's my take....
some citrus aroma, and another, unidentifiable smell... not a great smell... kind of metallic. might have been the ride from indiana....
taste is crisp, mellow and smooth. hop bitterness at the finish, citrus in the middle. some mentioned a 'bubble gum' taste; I can see that although it's not altogether distinguishable. a very nice flavor, very easy to drink with a decent abv to boot!
very smooth. very decent. been waiting a long time to try my first Three Floyds.... thank you to Mike!!!! for the opportunity.... overall, a very good beer! no date on the bottle, which sucks, but very very good.... (751 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Currently on tap in the Pint Room (Dublin, OH). First time trying this pale ale from 3Floyds.

A: copper color with minimal head
S: simple citrus smell; expected more hops
T: expected better; I've had other pale ales that compare to this
M: very smooth and drinkable
O: good, but not extraordinary; maybe I just don't like pale ales that much, but being a 3Floyds brew I had to try it (384 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle dated 1/16/14

A - bright orange hue

S - Citrus notes on the nose...

T - Citrus, but not nearly as hoppy as what I'm comparing it too, Zombie Dust

M - Solid, not too sticky, enjoyable

Overall, this is a solid pale ale, but not up there with the top beers I've had. Crisp and enjoyable though. (309 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

One of the last of my wonderful haul from my rather one-sided trade with BigStein88. I got so much more than he did. But Im working on evening that out a little.

Funny metallic multi-colored label of a crazy-eyed, naked Alpha King dropping hops into a glass of beer.

Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into a Sierra Nevada IPA glass. Clear amber with a two inch tall white head which receded slowly to rocky surface foam and dense patterned lacing.

s: Citrus so strong it made me cough. But then so did the FW Velvet Merlin I had earlier, so maybe it's just me. Vinegar later, which always makes me cough. So maybe it's the beer after all. Fortunately after awhile that fades away.

t: A sort of bubble gummy initial flavor was quickly overshadowed by a wave of piney hop bite. Became slightly vinegary, but not enough to be bothersome. Later a pleasing malt/hop balance is achieved with piney hops prominent.

m: Medium with good body and very smooth.

o; It looked and at first smelled so good, the taste was a bit odd but ok. Perhaps an old bottle, no date info anywhere I could find, and Dating Beer does not list any info on how to find it if it IS there somewhere. None of the fruitiness a pale ale ought to at least hint at. (1,230 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my Branchline tumbler. Bottle dated 1/16/14. Right at two months.

Gold brown put with thick white head. Liners and left a lot of lacing. Dark for a pale.

Pine and bread in the aroma. Like a bakery in a forest.

Smooth and balanced. The second best balance I've ever had with a hoppy beer (after Pliny). Herbal, grassy up front with a pine after-taste.

Smashing pale ale. I think the best I've tried. Thanks to BeerJesus for this throw in! (474 characters)

Alpha King from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.