Alpha King - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha KingAlpha King

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.66% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alpha King Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,733 | Reviews: 1,755
4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Dark honey colored with a thick and lumpy off-white head that rises up a full inch, and then slowly recedes, leaving thick oily lace around the top of the glass. Aroma is very inviting - citrusy hops and some light malt, some cinnamon and pear. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, very full. Taste is immediately hoppy upfront, citrusy and flowery at the same time, a little sweet, not overpowering. A solid malt backbone and some candy and toffee highlights ride along evenly with the hops. It all works together, nothing overpowers each other. This is great stuff, I could drink it for days. Thanks to BuckeyeNation for sharing.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

A - A cloudy brown with a thin white head that stays with the beer.

S - Citrusy hops all the way, with some breadiness underneath.

T - Follows the smell quite well. Definitely a hop-forward beer with just enough caramel malt and breadiness to keep it in balance. The citrus/grapefruit hops are introduced up front, and the finish is all bitterness.

M - As mentioned above, balanced nicely. Well carbonated and light/medium bodied.

D - Great flavor with a dry finish that makes me want more, and an ABV that allows more than one or two at a time.

Wish this was distributed to MA, as this would be a go-to. A solid "A" beer all the way.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

It's got an extremely dark pour for a pale ale. Think burnt orange with some brown hues. Not quite clear, just a tad murky. The head is gorgeous and resembles an IPA with it's meringue look. Thick sloppy lace.

A citrus bomb in the nose, with plenty of pale malt for support. Orange peel.

Can't think of how you'd improve the taste. I used to think Sierra Nevada made the best pale ale, but this has it beat. Very malty, yet the citrusy hops dominate.

Very smooth and easy to drink. It's really pushing the envelope of pale ales, if it was just a smidge hoppier and more bitter, I'd say it was an IPA with the burst of scent and flavor of the hops and the relatively high ABV. Medium bodied. It's sweet til midsip then the bitterness takes over and lingers.

Arguably the best pale ale in the world, at least of the American variety of pales. This reminds me a LOT of Zombie Dust and with that so hard to get, even with me living in Indiana, this will be my new go to beer.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Thanks to the one and only Beerpanther - purveyor of beer extraordinare. And a helluva good guy.

I will start of by saying that I've had this beer before, and from what I remembered I kept thinking it was misclassified, and that it was really more of an IPA. Well, it isnt. This here, folks, is just one damn fine pale ale.

A: Pours a reddish amber with a small white head, which dissipates quickly leaving a ring of lacing around my pint glass. It's a very earthy looking beer - i feel it is what a good homebrew should look like.

S: Whoa hops gallore! Maybe the smell is why I thought it was an IPA. Some definite spiciness and alcohol presence in there. Some kind of fruit, maybe pomegranite in there as well.

T: Oh, so good. So good. Hops hit immediately, but they receede quickly and the sweet apple flavors dominate. Also some pear and nectarine in there. It's quite a fruity beer, but it is definitely the sweetness of the fruit that overshadows any other flavors.

M: Silky smooth. I can't really image a Pale Ale feeling better than this.

D: So easy. The sweetness really makes this an easy to drink pale ale. It is just perfect. The hope are prevelent, but not overwhelming to the point where I only want one or two.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

I poured this 12 oz. bottle into a large wine glass.

A: a whisper of cloudiness, deep orange-amber color, 1-finger orange-beige head quickly falls into a lovely, sticky cap with good, persistent lacing.

S: tropical/citrus fruit; including pineapple, tangerine, blood orange, grapefruit, underneath the abundant fruit aromas there is a rich, sweet malt core, reminiscent of panettone, also there is juniper, caramel, and orange zest. Wonderful balance and depth; I could sniff this beer forever!

T: all of the aforementioned fruits make a grand entrance at the front, including a bit of apple, quickly followed by the sweet, malty backbone, the middle showcases juniper, pine, and floral notes, as well as honey and caramel, and the long, long finish is tongue-squeezingly bitter with plenty of grass, pine, and white pepper.

M: medium-bodied, creamy/silky start, mineral/oily finish, low to moderate carbonation.

D: This is one wicked Pale Ale. Drinking it again after so many months I am reminded why I love this beer so.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a dark reddish amber with a finger of white head and moderate amount of lacing. Nose is a strong burst fresh resinous piney hops, maybe some grapefruit in there as well, wonderful. Taste is a nice juicy grapefruit and ctirus hoppiness, almost hoppy enough to call this an IPA, but definitely more flavor than bitterness from the hops. A smooth creamy malt flavor perfectly balances any hops, leaving this as an immensely drinkable beer, even for non-hopheads. This beer is absolutely delicious, I don't know if you can find a tastier APA out there.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with the most difficult cap to take off that I've ever had to do - I was using a lighter though. Poured a slightly hazy deep copper color with a nice off-white head. Decent head retention and some lacing on the glass.

Hoppy aroma - I can detect maybe some citrus (lemon) and some grassy notes.

Sweet and crisp taste with a nice hop finish.

Goes down very well. Get a sharp attack on the roof of the mouth that dissipates quickly, but then comes back slightly as an aftertaste.

A very drinkable beer. I have enjoyed this one many times and only wish they distributed to Michigan.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a deep amber/orange with a beauitful white pillow one finger head. Lots of citrus and pine hops, with a malt sweetness supporting it the whole way. Taste is very balanced between a solid malt profile and some great hops. We could drink this bad boy all day.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Balanced hop aroma without residual bitterness. Heads up decently. Nice malt tones combine with hops of the style to make a beer that's scarily drinkable. Very clean mouthfeel. Has always been one of my favorites; for an IPA this drinks waaaayyy too easily.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Wow, this really took me by surprise. I was picking up a barrel of Brooklyn Lager for Thanksgiving and I decided to get something for myself to cover the few days before. I grabbed an expensive 6 of Victory Storm King and this because I remembered the Three Floyd's name. Damn, this is great beer. Pale Ale my ass --- maybe because most others Pale in comparison. The appearance was a burnt amber color with a nice deep tan head. lacing throughout the entire pint all the way down. The smell was floral and hoppy with a nice sweetness with a hint of good things to come. Bam, the taste just smacked me in the face. Flowers, a little grassy but very bright with a serious bite. I'm writing this after my second bottle; if I start the review the same sitting (or day) I can tell it's a winner. The mouthfeel was extremely crisp with a slight citrus twang, but definitely not that syrupy taste that sometimes lingers. This lingered on for a good long while, some of the maltiness crept back in on the tale end. I believe this is very drinkable because I've already decided to start my 2 beer a weekday limit tomorrow... This is right up there with Hop Devil (I know, IPA category but similar in character). I will A-B these one of these days.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

This is a terrific beer that breaths nicely. It is a close as it gets to being a perfect beer for a pre-pasta meal. While I believe Three Floyds really can't do wrong, this one is head an shoulders above even dark lord 2011. It is my favorite way to start a perfect weekend.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a copper color with a creamy off white head.

Smells of grapefruit, pine, orange, strawberry, and some caramel. Very pungent.

Starts with sweet caramel and a slight nutty malt flavor. Fresh hops soon take over the palate. Lots of orange, grapefruit rind, pine resin and hop leaf flavors. Finish is bitter but far from being extreme.

So damn drinkable, unlike a lot of American IPAs there is no harsh lingering aftertastes, yet has more hop flavor than those same IPAs. This is a beautiful beer (especially if you get to try it out of the serving tanks at the brewpub). If I could get this beer where I live, it would be in the fridge at all times. Highly recommended.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Can't believe I haven't reviewed this one. It's one of my standbys. Shame on me. But, nevertheless, a good one to finish off the night.

Pours a hazy burnt orange-gold, with a light off-white head. Head doesn't last for long - it was a wuss pour, so chalk that up to me. The cap sticks around a while though. Great lacing. The nose is citrusy and has a fresh hoppy aroma, but it's not a hop bomb. In addition to the hop flavor, there's good malt backing, and as a result this is pretty balanced. It's smooth and drinkable.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Appearance -- Pours a ruddy amber with two fingers of creamy beige head. Lace all over the place.

Smell -- Grapefruit rind, tropical fruit, some resin, caramel malt. The aroma on this beer puts most IPA's to shame!

Taste -- Massive grapefruit hop flavor, tropical fruit, pine resin, biscuit, caramel malt in spades. Big hop bitterness toward the back end leading to a finish of resin and grapefruit zest.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-bodied, moderate prickly carbonation. Crisp.

Drinkability -- This is a pale ale for the ages. So big, but so balanced. This is never not in my refrigerator. Never.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Thanks to Yetiman420 for his generosity; a truly great BA. Poured from a bottle into my DFH curved pint glass.

A: Pours a dark reddish-brown with a 3/4 inch thick, off-white, head that dissipated over the course of about a minute or so.

S: Pineapple up front, then I picked up some piney hops. This beer is very clean smelling. There is a sweet/ breadiness note in their as well. As I moved through the beer, about 3/5 of the way, I picked up a note of mint. Near the end of the glass I picked up a hint of grapefruit on the nose.

T: There is a bit of orange/ piney hops up front, followed by a bit of sweet pineapple, but this doesn't last too long before giving way to a very small amount of caramel malts which then gives way to a very nice clean bitter finish. It's so amazing that this beer has the complexities that it does, and then it hits a wall and finishes with a dry, bitter, clean finish. Wowing! Great 'til the last drop.

M: Minimal stickiness/ oiliness from the hops, but it finishes dry - which is nice. The carbonation is amazing for the style. While this beer has a lighter body overall, it is more of a fuller body when regarding pale ales, but I think the body is just how it should be.

D: The drinkability of this beer is through the roof! This beer is excellent, has great flavor, is refreshing and has a decently low abv (6%). I could drink this beer anytime and anywhere.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

A - Pours a nice copper hue with a big white head. Leaves nice lace.

S - I guess there must be hops in there, cause I can smell 'em. A little bit of sweet carmel malt too.

T - Nice orangy, citrus hop flavors. Good carmel malt backbone.

M - Good carbo with a medium body

D - Pretty drinkable for that much hops.

Overall, my favortie APA so far. Hopefully it will be easier to locate with the upcomming brewery expansion.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a hazed golden amber. Nose seems to have apricots on it. Flavor is heavy with hops with the apricot present on the palate as well. Just as with other hop happy brews, you get that taste of hops lodged in the back of your mouth and it lingers. Feel is great. I get a silky smooth texture that slides over my tongue. Oh so drinkable. A hop lover and a craft brew lovers dream. Awesome beer.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

A: Rich cooper color. Small white head that leaves minimal lacing.

S: Citrus and piney hop aroma backed up by nice caramel malt.

T: Taste, just like the smell, is a wonderful citrus hop blend. It's balanced out nicely by the caramel malt.

M & D: Medium bodied with light carbonation. Wonderful mouthfeel on this one making it extremely drinkable. Will satisfy your hop fix but backs it up with the smooth malt to turn this one into a great session beer. Wish this was readily accessible.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

A- A nice light amber color. Really nice and surprising in a pale ale. About an inch or so of off-white head. Laces moderately. Good retention on the head.

S- This just blew me away the first time I had it. A blast of citrus hops followed by a light malt sweetness (almost caramel-y). The hops are just out of control (grapefruit, orange zest, floral hops).

T- Good stuff. Again, hoppy and fruity. A little pine that was absent from the nose comes through. Nicely balanced with the malt. Hoppier than most APAs, but just great. This will probably replace SN as my go-to APA. Not the most mind blowing beer I've had (although the nose was probably among the most appealing), but one of the most enjoyable and well put together brews I've had.

M- A little light, smooth, clean. Moderate carbonation. Slight dry finish.

D- Great--I could definitely make a great session out of this.

Totally surprised by this one. I had heard it was good, but I didn't quite understand how good it is. Thought it would be an underwhelming run-of-the-mill APA. Shame on me for doubting FFF.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Nice deep amber. Aroma of malt, citrus and fruit. Taste follows aroma. This has amazing taste. There is a bit of everything going on here...you have it all in nice proportions. This really gives the tastebuds a workout. Starts somewhat yeasty, thenmaltiness, then citrus/grapefruit then fruity finish. Feels a bit heavy and would make it difficult to put many of these away over a short period if time.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Clear copper color, small beige compact head, lots of sheeting lace - Alpha King "Gorgeous George the III" Pale Ale, yep...that'll do.

Mighty fine hopified wiffer for an aroma, highly sweet, softly resinous, calming citrus, slick pine, freshly floral; its got it all in the hop profile. Dreadnaughts little brother for a nose. A hop bouquet! Nicey nice. Yum.

Taste has a well rounded front, slight fruity malts with hop flavors of dulled citrusy stuff. Builds quickly from there with fresh floral tones, crisp yet green like a green bean, toasty just past midway, growing into lingering hop piney bitterness which is pretty full of good Ol' alpha acids to fade off and squeeze out any sweetness remaining. Quite juicy and resinous with a favorable drying of bitterness. Some slight toffee eeks its way onto the sides of the cheeks super later.

Feel is clean, slick, quick the whole way through, about medium body, nearing more lighter due to its remarkable cleanness - calming and smooth in the front, wafting hoppy finish of refined bitterness and light drying for its back.

It's been along while since I've had this, my memory of it had completely diminished 'til now. Now that I've had it again; well I'm wishing 3F still was available here.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

The color is a medium amber, a little bit darker than your average APA. Had a 1 finger head that disappeared quickly, lacing was minimal. There is a walloping hop nose of grapefruit, pine, and flowery esters. My friend calls this "Kind bud beer". The taste is mostly hops, spicy, citrus, yet balanced Medium to light body with a little carbonation. Very drinkable, possibly sessionable, but I usually like to switch up my beer anyway.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

can't believe this is brewed and bottled at schell in new ulm. what a serious and bold beer...cloudy, hazy burnt orange color. nice off white head that sticks. hops explosion in the nose...a citric dynamite blast. tastes awesome. bitter alpha hop madness in the mouth is meakly balanced by a caramel malt body. it IS slightly thin in mouthfeel but the hop party doesn't let you worry about that. hits the spot after a hot day in the sun! a hop-head delite.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a hazy amber color with a cream colored head and has some nice lacing.

Aroma is strong of citrusy and floral hops, like something such as a IIPA. Very nice with notes of grapefruit, bubble gum and a faint caramel smell.

Despite smelling more like an IPA, the taste is more up to par with an APA. A great tasting pale ale with a little malty sweetness up front followed up by some nice citrus flavor.

Mouthfeel is smooth and pleasantly carbonated.

A very drinkable beer. I will buy this again if it is available too me. I had to go out of my way to get this and I am not disappointed. A great beer.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

I have been waiting to try this for a while. I broke down and ordered a sixer from Archer Liquors in Chicago. Very cool looking bottle with the king himself featured on the front. The beer poured a dark orange with a very good head. The smell was so amazing. fresh hops permeated my nose and reminded me of grass, herbs, and flowers. The taste matched up very nicely with hops really shining through. Wow, believe the hype! I think this was better than dreadnaught. This probably ties with Deschutes Hop Trip for my favorite Pale Ale. Outstanding.

Alpha King from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.