Alpha King - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha KingAlpha King

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.66% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alpha King Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,731 | Reviews: 1,755
4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

12 oz bottle poured dark copper with a small off white head that fell pretty quickly. Dark for a pale ale. The smell is all hops...grapefruit and pine, but more citrus. A small amount of malt comes through, but the smell is definitely about the hops. The first sip yeilds a very balanced hop punch and nice malt. The hops are predominate in this brew and are very citrusy. This is a bit over the top to be classified as a pale ale, this is definitely a very nice American IPA. As the grapefruit flavor dies down, a nice doughy malt flavor comes through and then ends with a nice bitter. Mouthfeel of this beer is medium and nicely carbonated. I will have to say this is another great beer by 3 Floyds and I would drink it very regularly if it was available locally. This beer tastes like the Dreadnaughts little brother. Excellent beer but I think it is mis-catagorized as an APA.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Hop heaven!! I once described this as grapefruit and beer mixed together to a friend, and he was startled to agree. The citrus hop note is unmistakable. The perfect malt note to balance the citrus. If you can find this fresh, it's spectacular. I can't seem to find a fresh 6 pack anywhere. Grapefruit and pine dominate. Mouthfeel is wonderful; smooth and creamy. Three Floyds can't make a bad beer. Buy anything they make, you can't go wrong.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

A- Poured a copper clear color with an inch of off-white head. It lasted a reasonable length, and left big lacing
S- Big Floral hops bursting from my snifter glass, smells delicious
T- Burst of sharp bitter hops all over the place, a solid malt background provides a nice base, although they are deep below the hops, leaves a slowly lingering hop bitterness as it leaves your throat
M- medium body with a sharp carbonation
D- very high, delicious

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

12 oz Bottle Pours a hazy amber with an off white head. Head has good lacing. Aroma has a good mix. I pick up lemon citrus and a good prsence of what may be carmel or molasses malts. aste is excellent a clean well carbonated beer wit great flavors. The mix is perfect. Has a good bitter finish with a nice duration. This is one awesome pale ale. I would drink all of these I can get my hands on. If I see it, I am buying it.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours amber and orange in color with a cream colored head. Aroma is outstanding, smells of a hint of grassiness, sweet vitamin C citrus, red grapefruit, and sweet peaches. Complex taste of sweet oranges up front, quickly followed with bitter grapefruit,a little biscuity and then a dry slightly peppery finish. Mouthfeel is also very good, crisp and clean with a nice mild dryness in the finish. Definitely pushes the envelope of the Pale Ale style category in a very good way. I could very easily continue to drink more and more of this beer, and I probably will.

4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

Part of the Spoils of Charlottesville Run, 4.30.04.

A lovely, slightly candied hop aroma came a-bubbling up from my Alpha King after I poured the translucent nectarine-shaded (yes, I stole that, but it's a perfect description--thanks felonious) brew.

On the front end, I'll say that my expectations for this beer were exceedingly high.

It met them.

This has "everyday beer" written all over it -- in that, it's so good, you'd be lucky to be able to drink it every day. I know I would...if I could. It's flavor is all-around brilliance, subtle yet bright, an intoxicating (beyond the alcohol) blend of sweet citrus and floral hops, melded perfectly with a touch of soft malts around the edges, giving the beer a nice, stiff backbone for the hops to layer upon.

A little more subtle than Stone IPA (expected, because it's not an IPA), but similarly brilliant, especially to be so hoppy, yet so drinkable.

I'm sold. Too bad the nearest place I know to buy one is a four hour drive away...But you know, it's almost worth it.

4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

The beer poured a light Amber color and was almost clear. Bottle said bottle conditioned but similar to Dogfish IPA's I see no sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Beer poured with a good head and had a long lasting lace on the side of the glass.

Smell has a ton of hop arroma...very fruity

This beer tastes better than it smells and it smells really good. Hop flavor throughout but not overwhelming. Each sip and I wanted to drink more. One of the few times I don't mind living in PA because I had to purchase an entire case of this and I'm thrilled I did.

4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

thanks to brewmasternate for this in a trade!

a: dark beautiful copper color with two fingers of thick sudsy head that is leaving big clumps of lacing behind.

s: big burst of citrus with some pine and a sweet bready malt.

t: hops galore with a nice malt presence to balance this out.

m:great carbonation, full body with a hop bite and a clean finish.

o: they dont get much better than this, thanks again nate!

4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from bottle into pint glass, nearly one and half fingers off-white head.

Aroma is orange zest, piney, grapefruit, hints of lemon peel.

Taste is warming alcohol up front with smooth bitterness, followed by lemon notes and decent malt background. Some pepper spiciness, but very little. Lingering bitterness I expect from a good APA, with citrus notes aplenty: orange, lemon, grapefruit. Longer it sits more sweet malt comes through, giving it an extreme balance rarely ever achieved in this style. Hops win out, obviously, but you get such a pleasant amount of perfect caramel malt. It's ridiculous. Definite honey there as it warms up.

Mouthfeel isn't prickly, somewhat drying, makes me ready for another sip. This one goes down so smooth and so fast.

Overall, a damn good brew. Dreadnaught's more balanced little brother, really.

12 ounce bottle purchased from Walnut Liquorette for three dollars

A-Golden brown color with an orange tint, 3/4 inch soapy white head, great retention, phenomenonal lacing

S-Various types of hoppiness, lots of citrus, some nice bready malt aromas, pine scents, straw, barley

T-Lots of citrus at the beginning, grapefruit and lemon mostly, some chewy biscuit-like malt balances it out beautifully, dry and chewy finish, got a little sweeter when it warmed, amazingly smooth

M-Chewy mouthfeel, medium size body, lots of carbonation, fairly bitter and creamy at the same time

D-Could drink these all night, would make a great session beer, low in alcohol, super light on the stomach, great diversified taste keeps you coming back

Have heard this beer is cream of the crop of Three Floyds releases other than Dark Lord, did not disappoint, best pale ale I have ever had, will buy a six pack next time I make it to this store even though it is fifteen dollars

4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

This bees is defiantly the "King" of Pale Ales in my book. The wonderful golden copper color and thick creamy head delighted me at the start. The smell was rich and floral from perfect dry hopping. The taste was excellent. A complex blend of grains balanced with hoppy floral esters and bitterness balanced this beer beautifully. Starts out smooth and sweet, becoming bitter and piney, with a citrus middle and a tart, floral finish. Hail the King!!

4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours a watermelon pinkish color in dim pub lighting,quite nice looking. The covering of thin off-white bubbles hangs for a minute,before falling to a quick death,sheets of lace are bringing this full tilt. This is like a whopping rainbow of hoppy fruitiness pine-apple(zebra stripes gum on steroids). Big bubble gum notes(Bubble Yum) and Star Burst candy flavors,creamy and dreamy. Pretty hoppy for a APA,but not the intense taste bud assaulting hops,more fruity. Juicy and mouth watering from start to finish. Cotton candy beer.A three ring circus of hop,malt and more hops that never disappoints. Well orchestrated and delightful.

4.58/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - Nice brownish reddish body. Darker then most IPA's, lighter than some APA's. Good foam head when poured aggressively, lingers for a decent amount of time.

S - Hop intense - citrus and pine notes are well balanced, neither seems to dominate.

T - I usually like APA/IPA(s) with more citrus flavors than pine, but this is one of the exceptions that tastes more earthy/piney and still fantastic.

O - I live within a few hours of 3 floyds, and sadly this is one of the first beers of theirs that I have tried. I am looking forward to the Zombie dust and I plan to make a trip to the Brewery. I think the hype about 3 Floyds is legit. Prost!

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

APA + Three Floyd's = one damn fine luscious brew I assume!

This pours from the bottle a lovely deep amber with about a half inch of sticky head. The are even subtle hues of red in the mix. The first smell is freakin amazing. It's like I'm running naked through a beautiful sunny field of ripe hops. Yummy grapefruit and citrus tones tickle my nose along with a wonderful floral bouqet. If my nose could have an orgasm...it'd probably be reachin for a smoke right about now. I could sit here and smell this all night!

The first sip reminds me of why APA is my fave stlye...it tastes like a citrusy hop bomb went off in the bottle. Grapefruit, lemon and orange tones ride on a frothy wave of malt. Alpha King is like an ocean wave where everything is drawn together in perfect harmony only to come crashing down on my tounge and journey into my stomach. Bitterness is in harmonious balance as well...this is a brew that begs to be consumed.

Mouthfeel is wonderful...goes down smooth, not too much carbonation, very easy to drink. The same goes for drinkability...this is going to become one of my new session brews alongside SNPA. I could down these heavenly brews all night. 3 Floyd's deserves much praise for this fine example of the style!

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A-This beer pours a crystal clear golden copper with a gentle carbonation and a nice cream tan thin head.

S- The aroma is pure green floral hops. A bit of pine resin with more citrus but very fresh hops. A hint of sweet malt is hidden in the background

T- This beer has a very fresh hops taste with some grapefruit and citrus flavors that is bold but not overpowering with bitterness. It is gentle enough that you can taste the creamy sweet malt that is mostly pale malt. It the softness of a slight bit of wheat.

M-This has a medium full mouthfeel with some creaminess. There is no alcohol warmth or astringency. Very gentle.

D- This is a very subdued beer with a big hops flavor. It can compete with the hop monsters but still make a nice session beer. Very impressive.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle (thanks to BA redbird) into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

This one pours a deep red color with a finger's worth of head that quickly recedes to the edges of the glass. The aroma is great, there's some solid hoppiness backed up by some nice caramel malts. The slightest hint of frutiness takes the aroma to the next level. The taste on this is great, it's quite a big pale ale, with big piney, resiny hops, and big caramel malts. There's also a decent fruity presence. The end has just a bit of sugar sweetness.

The mouthfeel is superb, it's got a lighter body, but still feels full and coating on the backend. This gives the brew a nice, satisfying finish. The drinkability is exceptional, especially considering the relatively high ABV for an APA. Overall, this is just a great pale ale that I'd love to be able to keep on hand at all time. It's just perfectly executed with absolutely no rough ends, a true masterwork of brewing.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Winos In Bowling Green

A. Dark copper/medium copper color. Excellent lacing. Frothy egg-shell color head that sustains very well. Translucent.

S. Very nice fragrance of citrus, grass, pineapple, and resin. Very balanced. Very pleasant.

T. A very balanced taste that follows the nose. A combination of resin/grass and citrus/tropical fruits. Awesome. A nice peppery tingle on the tongue from the freshness. Moderately bitter.

M. Very smooth. High carbonation. Full bodied.

O. This serves as my standard for a pale ale. There are a few better, but many-many that are worse. Of course it is better fresh, but can hold up over time. I love the complex balance of hops: citrusy and resiny. I would keep this in the fridge 24/7 if always available. I see a 6er here and there a few times a year.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

Received a 6-pack of this APA from my cousin Mark when he was visiting in St. Louis, MO. Poured from the 12oz/355ML bottle in my Pint glass. Has no sign of an expiration date.

Appearance- Pours a nice brown/amber color with 3.5 finger of bubbly/frothy head. The retention lasts for a very long time and color with a nice fluffy head that leaves frothy after lacing all over the place.

Smell- Has a nice mix of hops throughout a nice candied/fruit aroma. Grassy hops have the most influence when it comes down to it. (Also, have a hint of a Chai Latte- black tea, honey, or sugars). Great aroma!

Taste- Has a great upfront hop taste once again, not too bitter, and well-balanced (huge hops but nice malts as well). Theres no telling the ABV's in this beer and I dig this! Theres nothing worse than a Pale Ale or APA that has too much of an alcohol taste or aroma to it. The citrus hops play a good part into this beer while the grassy hops are in the aroma.

Mouthfeel- Light- Medium Bodied, Medium Viscosity, Forever hops on the palate. Just what I needed after a long day!

Overall- One of the best APA's I've had yet! I haven't been exposed to many APA's in general, but this just became my #1 on my list. Thanks Mark! The drinkability was pleasant, and such great characteristics with this beer. I would recommend this to anyone trying new styles or need a good APA. Haven't seen this one around St. Louis before and glad to have had the opportunity to have a cousin out of town who gets good beer in Indiana. Cheers Mark!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 days old. Pours a dark amber. Piney and great smell. Taste has some fruit to it as well. Tastes better than lots of IPAs that I have had. Dry and bitter on the back end. Awesome brew.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

12oz bottle courtesy of sativen poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a clear deep copper with a small bubbly head that dissipates quickly leaving minimal lacing. A few bubbles sit out on the top for the duration of the session.

S: A big floral, citrus hoppy aroma dominated by grapefruit and pine. Nice sweet malty aroma in the background to balance this out.

T: Just as in the smell, the taste is dominated by the huge floral and citrus hops - orange, grapefruit, pine, etc. Despite the big hop profile, the balance in the taste is provide by the subtle sweet malts that take over after the initial hop blast.

M: Medium bodied, creamy with a perfect moderate carbonation that just tickled the tongue. Not too sticky but definitely syrupy sweet with the perfect hop bitterness contrast.

D: This would be a staple in my fridge if I had access to it. It is an extremely drinkable APA and I could drink a few of these in a sitting. Highly recommended!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a nice copper/amber color that is slightly hazy. Two inches of fluffy head that left a nice ring of lace as it receded.

S- Beautiful hoppy citrus, but not overly so. Nice notes of orange and pine.

T- Very interesting combination of favors. Hops, caramel, malt in an amazing dance. I'm very impressed.

M - It feels light to drink and smooth. It finishes crisp and leaves a pleasant aftertaste.

O- Very impressed by this beer. It is nicely balanced, easy to drink and keeps my interest through out the glass. Very nice. Too bad I had only one, I think I will have to pursue more of this.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

Copper color with an off white sticky head but who cares how it looks with that awesome smell. All citrus hops. Probably out of the range of a APA and more like an IPA but so what, it's a great beer. Taste shows more of the hops bitterness but there is plenty of malt to balance it out. Dry finish for this full bodied beer. Very drinkable beer, my wife and I flew through a case of this. Would recommend for any hop head out there but my guess is that you've already had it.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: As i poured forth this necktor into my goblet (a FFF Teku) a off white head, 2 fingers tall arose and sustained for a couple of spins of the minute hand. As it fell a chunky honeycomb texture was revealed and laced the edge of said goblet. The ale that spewed from the glass bottle was a dark shade of crimson with a strong haze, but not enought to let the light shine through the edges to provide a glowing orange hue.

S: A fruit from a tropical land; mango, strawberry and melon burst forth from the firm pine forefront. Meager amounts of caramel and bread cower in the background.

T: Firm bittering spews forth to tame the malty sweetness. The tropical melons and stonefruit follow your tounge from the beggining to end, but durring the finale the pine jumps in to steal the last word. Caramel malty flavors are more dominant than the nose would indicate making a nice complex flavor even better.

M: Moderate to dry finish from this ale, carbonation is moderate as well. no off flavors, just a smooth hoppy beer.

O: A very tasty, easy drinking, hoppy beer. The bitterness is smooth and round with lots of aroma but there is still a malt flavor that make it interesting. An old favorite.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

Funny I follow your review, John-boy...

Poured a very murky and very ruddy amber-tan. Showed miniscule carbonation fighting to support a very thin head, some bits of stain, and some sloppy lace.

Smelled of sweet grapefruit and a little pine, but in a big, sticky, and sweet way, as caramel notes tickled about. Tasted of sweet grapefruit and prickly pine with hearty bitter tones, yet was also quite juicy. Had some thin caramelly flavors washing about, but I couldn't help but return to those highly tasty hops of that succulent 3 Floyds style. Simple and tasty, it had creamy notes in the finish and was not as drying as you’d think.

Very thin mouthfeel, and very easy to drink by flavor, alcohol content, and mouthfeel, I could throw this down easy, yet it is good enough to be slowly savored. A toned down little cousin of the vaunted Dreadnaught.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

12oz bottle purchased from the brewery in Munster, IN. Enjoyed at cellar temperature.

Pours a dark amber hue, basically copper, with one finger of beige froth and sheets of webbed lacing on the pint glass. Good clarity and head retention.

Smell is pine sap, burnt caramel, pineapple, honey, mango, dank hops, passion fruit, orange rind, lemon, marmalade, perfume, and crackery malt. Very citric, aromatic, and piney nose.

Taste mimics the aromas with juicy and citrusy navel orange, unripened peach, nectarine, smooth caramel and taffy flavours, floral, herbal, and resinous hops, sugary malt, spicy and astringent bitterness to end.

Mouthfeel is silky-soft, medium bodied, clean and oily juiciness mid-palate, bitter spiciness lingers in the long, drying finish. IBUs make themselves known, yet this is more balanced than your typical hop bomb.

Probably the most complex APA that I've sampled. Just a masterpiece of a beer. If you can get your hands on some Alpha King, don't hesitate to try this nectar.

Alpha King from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.