Alpha King - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha KingAlpha King

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.66% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alpha King Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,717 | Hads: 5,815
4.74/5  rDev +11%

Picked up this gem at the brewery. This is a great session beer.

Great citrusy smell that is a pleasure. Awesome aroma.
Taste is sweet, followed by bitter, followed by a sweet finish. Nice taste.

Mouthfeel is good, but it needs a tad bit more carbonation.

Overall, this is an excellent APA and well worth the money and the effort of finding. (344 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +11%

OHHH...me gusta esta cervesa! Its very good. The nose and taste screams Hops, hops hops. Malt malt malt. (In that order) Huge grapefruit bitterness that the malt attempts to balance, but has a hard time doing so, however it has a nice maltiness that isn't lost to the hops. The head was a bit small and the carbonation was low, but I think this was good as an overcarbonated hoppy beer tends to burn ones tongue pretty good. (424 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +11%

Finally getting to some of the Three Floyds brews. A golden amber pour is topped off by a one-finger tan head that dissipates in it's own good time leaving a jagged lacing behind. Smells of bold, citrusy hops which are rounded at the edge and present perfectly. I've never experienced this aroma in an APA. It's of a different class. Tastes of grapefruit covered with table sugar. The hop bitterness that follows is actually icing on the cake. I'm so enjoying drinking this one that I find it hard to write. Mouthfeel is smooth and comforting, but it also leaves you feeling like you're drinking a real-mans beer. There's something going on here that sets this one apart from the rest of the pack, and that's a mighty big pack we're speaking of. (745 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Appearance is golden with very clingy white lacing. VERY inviting to say the least!!

S: Citrus right from the opening of the bottle. Hop aroma and a little pine scent.

T: Dead on for this style. Alpha King I am not worthy of your greatness.

M: Full and sticky. Stays with you all the way from front to back and leaves you wanting that next sip!!

D: Exceptionally high. I have had this beer on so many occasions yet never took the time to review. Could easily drink the four that I have left.

This is just a fantastic american pale ale. Three Floyds shows me again that they know how to put out high quality beer. From now on ,I will give the King the respect he deserves!! (681 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

[Ph]attest eggshell, 3 inch head I've ever seen! Hung around unto the last sip. A beautiful, copper-bodied pale ale with refreshing citrus hops and a subtle malt combo. Poured into 12oz glass, slightly translucent, and absolutely ZERO floaties. Most refreshing beer I've had in a long time! (290 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

A. Golden with a head that hangs on to glass . Thick creamy head.

S. This is going to be goooood. Citrus hops trying to escape.

T. Delicious , just like the smell. Very drinkable.

M. Creamy soft.

O. One of my favorites and you can get it just by asking. (258 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of my all-time favorite beers. It's both big and highly drinkable. I have trouble categorizing it as an APA because of its explosive aroma and flavors, its extreme hoppiness. Ten years ago this was moderately priced beer, but as Three Floyds has grown in renown, the price has gone up and it can be hard to find, even here is Chicago. At old prices, it was my everyday beer. Now it's a treat. Ah, the old days! (414 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

After reading several reviews about how this beer can be difficult to find, I suppose I should be grateful that it is so plentiful in my town north of Indy. I have this a few times a month on draft, and it is always excellent- perhaps the best balanced APA I've had. Aggressively hopped with fantastic citrus and caramel at the same time. One of so many great Three Floyd's offerings. Believe it or not, this one can be had for $3 a pint or less year-round at two bars in my town. (480 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

This was a delicious, smooth, go-to beer. Poured a deep, rich amber orange. You can see through it, but only dimly.

I didn't really observe the head too much, but it seemed fairly standard. Had a few centimeters and then disappeared.

Aroma was definitely fruity or hoppy, some floral elements and really a treat to smell. Oranges, slightly caramel or toffee scents lend a more smooth texture to the smell. The hops don't become overpowering because of this.

The taste was similar in that you can definitely taste the hops, but they are not so prominent as to be the star. They mix well with the maltiness and some toffee, creamyness and make for a very easy to drink beer. (678 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a deep orange-amber with a two finger head that dissipates into a nice coating on the top of the beer. Very fine particulate matter noticeable when held up to the light. Minimal lacing.

Aroma is very fruity and citrusy with grapefruit dominating. There is also a light orange aroma that I detect. Below that is some sweet malt aroma as well as floral and piney aromatics from the hops. Not an extremely strong aroma, but certainly very mouthwatering.

The taste of this brew is outstanding. Not only are the citrusy and piney hops abundant, but there is also a fairly complex malt backing that contains flavors of caramel and toasted malt.

Mouthfeel is fairly light, but closer to medium. This is one drinkable beer. Probably the most sessionable beer out there for hopheads, in my opinion.

Wow, what a beer. It's a bit on the bitter side but it's remarkably balanced with those sweet malt flavors. I used to think that SNPA was the benchmark for APAs, but now I think Alpha King takes the crown, no pun intended. (1,069 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

I finally acquiried this brew during a roadtrip to John's Grocery in Iowa City. I must say it was worth the wait. To be honest though, I think I was attracted to the beer due to its artwork on the label more than the beer itself. Labeling once again pays off for the brewery. This was a delightful treat.

Poured into an imperial pint glass from the bottle, I received a near perfect pour. An orangish amber body with an off-white two-fingered head. A wonderful aroma of citrusy hops with a hint of pine (can someone please market this aroma as an air freshener?). The hop flavor just coats the tongue and lingers there for awhile. It is strong, but not overpowering. If not for the high ABV, this could be a nice session beer because it isn't heavy and it is very drinkable. (777 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

a-pours with a small head that does not stick around very long. Beautiful clear caramel amber color. A very nice looking beer in a glass.

s-bitter and with a lot of grapefruit. Strong smell overall.

t-strong, bitter, delicious, hoppy. This is powerful APA that keeps hitting.

m-fairly carbonated but it is light and sits well.

d-this is one of my favorite beers. It really works well as a session for someone like me who loves hops. This is an APA on steroids. (464 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours out a deep copper with a beige head with lots of little bubbles rising to the top. The head is quite large and thick, and when settled looks like a mess of cobwebbing everywhere on the sides of my glass! Smells like resiny pine, grapefruit, and gumballs! I can smell it across the room! Really, this beer has some sort of candy-like smell and taste due to Three Floyds malts. They give a somewhat sweet caramel like taste which nicely compliments this very hoppy pale ale. Definitely NOT normal! By far the hoppiest pale ale (which isn't very pale either) I've had to date. Mouthfeel is fine, very good actually. I can hardly believe this beer is 7.35% abv because it is so drinkable. Why the heck didn't I pick up another six pack of this beer sooner? (758 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

I know this is not an IPA but you sure would think it was when you first put it to your lips. very bold and has a very distinctive . One of my new favorites and look forward to trying more from this brewery. (211 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +11.5%

Big thanks to tpd975 for this one on a recent trade!

Pour medium dark cooper with a thick white head that lingers around (pale ale?).

Holy crap, what a bouquet! Intense hops, then more hops, a faint buttersweet maltiness and more hops. Flavor is even better, its like drinking hop juice, there's also a hint of fresh mellon, a very intense floral note, generous citrus, slight spice.

And to top it off, its not overpowering like some hoppy ales tend to be, its incredibly well balanced and drinkable.

Man candy. (515 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +11.5%

Received as part of the Double Trouble BIF.

This beer is a slightly murky orange with a thin head and not much lacing. But the smell is hop heaven. Sweet hop aroma fills the air. Cirtus hints are present as well. This beer is what I think a hopped up beer should be. Sweet, bitter but not harsh. Just nice and smooth to make a very drinkable brew. Mouthfeel is silky smooth. The drinkability is high. In fact, the beer is gone before the this reveiw is even finished. I could certainly go for more of this beer. Off to add it to my wants. (540 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This thing is awesome, a total must have...a perfectly balanced pale ale, yummy caramel malts, delicious citrus hops...fluffs up so nicely on the palate...can't believe I'm here at the brew pub...one ff the tap is all i need, this would go so well with a round of disc golf...having a bit of a beergasm... (305 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

Thanks to IrishMike for this awesome rarity in my neck of the woods.
Pours a real nice dark copper w/ a full frothy tan head...the lacing is thin, but holds on nicely.
Smell is a nice, sweet blend of fruits...oranges and tangerines come to mind. Nice detection of malt as well...smells very inviting.
Damn...this stuff is scrumptous!! What a fresh blast of hops, malt, and caramel...the best Pale Ale I've had to date. Of course, it is no surprise I like hops...and this one is more hoppy than some IPA's I've had, but it is blended so magically w/ the malts, that it can call itself an APA.
The mouthfeel is sublime...so refreshing and just the slightest bitter aftertaste, but it is the sweet malt that sticks with you.
I could enjoy this beer for an entire evening...one of the best I've tried to date in this, or any style. (832 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

We need this stuff in Tejas!!

What can I say? This beer is money. Dark amber color with a peak-filled off white head. Citrus nose with a nice malty balance. Could easily be confused for an IPA...until the clean crisp finish hits you after taking a drink. Perfectly balanced, has a grassy taste and a perfect finish.

I really want to taste more of their offerings. (365 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

While being poured the citrus hop aroma hits you and your mouth starts watering. This is the start of something good.

Pours a hazy copper color with a tight, creamy, off-white head that leaves some lace. Citrus aroma greets you with some grapefruit, pineapple, and hints of sweet malt. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel with a medium body. Starts with a short blast of hop bitterness that smoothes out into a citrus flavor, all the while sweet malt flavors dance about your tounge. Amazingly well balanced, nothing dominates but all the flavors come out nicely. Finishes dry with some sweetness.

7.3% abv?? You have to be kidding me. Not even the least bit noticable in taste. Highly drinkable but watch out or this will hit you like a hammer to the head. A great Pale Ale! (774 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

Chilled to around 50. Should warm up nicely.
Poured from a bottle into my daily-used chalace from cooperrip.
Strong floral and hay aroma immediately hits my nose. No head really to speak of, even though I poured it a bit rough. Nice lace still clinging to the glass 15 minutes after pouring.
Beautiful clean copper color. No haze at all. Quite crisp looking.
As for the taste...WOW. Beautiful hop balance with some citrus notes. Definate "farmy" grain taste. It's like what a fresh mowed hayfield should taste like, minus the dust and bugs.
Warming up now and it's getting better (no surprise there).
Mouthfeel is relatively medium. Beer moves around the mouth nicely, then quietly exits just in time for the next sip.
Beautiful pale ale. Well done. Thank god I'm finally able to get this over here (CT by way of RI).
Up next - Robert the Bruce... (861 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

A- Golden-brown. Clear with lots of carbonation. White, two finger head sits on top and dissipates a little, but a decent head sticks around.

S- Pineapple, lemon, orange, pine, hoppy.

T- Same as the smell, but with a great malt backbone to balance out the hopiness.

M- Good mouthfeel. Lots of carbonation makes this one refreshing.

D- Excellent. It's always hard for me to judge APA's because I have a tendency to think of them as weak IPA's, but keeping the style in mind, it's hard to think of too many ways this could improve. (533 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours out clear amber with a huge, rocky white head. A good deal of lacing on the glass. The aroma is a burst of fruity hops that smells amazing. Extremely fresh hop flavor, and plenty of it. I agree with one of the other reviewers of this beer who wrote that he tasted peach and mango. This is no mere hop bomb without the malt to back it up. There is a nice malty sweetness that complements the hop. No sign of the 7+% abv, as this goes down so easy. This is classified as a pale ale, but it's one the most unique beers I've had in recent memory. Having previously tried the Gumballhead and the Alpha Klaus, Three Floyds is quickly becoming one of my favorite American breweries. (681 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

07/30/05- Received from a purchase at Archers Liquors.

Presentation- 12oz bottle with no dating. Poured into my Shipyard pint glass.

Appearance- Darker golden color. Nice 3/4 inch head and average lacing.

Smell- Huge and I mean huge grapefruit hops. That's about all I can detect because the hops overpower everything else.

Taste- Wow, this is one damn good Pale Ale. Starts off with a huge fruity blast of hops and finishes with a nice smooth semi dark malt flavor.

Mouthfeel- Moderate carbonation, heavier mouthfeel.

Drinkability- I actually felt some of the alcohol kick in at the end of the brew. Not sure if I could session more than a couple of these. But, an amazing hoppy pale ale that I would buy again in a second if I could get my hands on it out here. Hands down one of the top two or three Pale Ales I've had. Maybe the best. (857 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

I've had this a number of times but never had the occasion to review it. This review is based on a some I had on draft at the Map Room. Poured an orange/amber with a thin head that faded to a ring that stuck around. Smells of fruity apricot, cherry, a touch of rhubarb, with citrus as a top note. The taste is beautifully balanced and fruity,similar flavors as those found in the aroma, with cherry, vanilla, and citrus being especially pronounced. Nice hoppy bitterness in the finish. Mouthfeel is smooth, perfectly carbonated, a little rich. My absolute favorite session beer.I would have this around all the time if it were available in my area. (648 characters)

Alpha King from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.