Alpha King - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha KingAlpha King

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.66% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alpha King Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,749 | Hads: 5,987
4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From a bottle purchased from the brewery mid Jan 2014. Poured in a Sam Smith pint glass.

Appearance: pretty orange color, good head and retention. Slightly cloudy. 4.5

Smell: sweat citrus. Not all grapefruit, slightly piney 4.5

Taste: Hop forward for sure, not overbearing? Very balanced, certain.y that same citrus smell is tasted also. 4.75

Mouthfeel: smooth, perfect carbonation. Enjoyable

Overall: excellent to be sure. Not ZD but really good APA. For the flagship beer and most attainable of a hard to get brewety, excellent

4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

at the map room in chicago.

a. absolutely gorgeous golden orange, rich color. finger or two of thick sensuous white head that is always there and leaves an awesome web of lace on the glass.

s. the smell is superb, its hard for me to describe, even to myself (just wait to i get to the taste!) its really hoppy and fresh, woodsy. also sweet.

t. oh my goodness, characteristics dont do it justice. it deserves a "oh my" and a "hell yea". really bready and hoppy, the mix is incredible, the hops add this amazing sweetness and tartness that is familiar yet utterly mind-blowing. its just so good.

m. perfect amount of carbonation and silky beer texture.

d. i could drink an infinite amount of this beer and continue to be happy and curiously engaged.

3.68/5  rDev -13.6%

Brew poured a nice dark copper with about 3/4" of slightly off white head that faded rather quickly. The color reminds me of good summer sun tea.

The smell is all malt to me. A little citrus and pine, but barely any scent of hops on the nose. Nothing that stands out particularly.

From the taste, I get malt forward and then the lingering hop bitters on the tail end with a little wheat bread. The hops aren't quite strong enough to last too long like some IPAs/APAs, but it lingers for a few minutes.

Mouthfeel Is very solid and standard for all the better brews of this style. Creamy and well carbonated so that it just dances on the tongue enough to make you want another sip. Fairly Dry finish.

Overall I didn't like this beer until after my first few drinks. Maybe because I had to trade for it and I might have had it on a pedestal, but it grew on me as it went down rather quickly. I think I could drink several of these and at a nice low abv, it would make for a long evening.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

This is a very good beer i loved it alot and was well worth the trip to chicago for it.
Apperance-light brown in color and light in the head when served slightly foamy not to much to distract you from this good beer.
Smell- Smells of well most brown and light IPA's citrusy and inviing.
Taste- This is where you really get into the good beer. It tasted amazing and really brought you to want more and more. citrus and malty hints at the same tame quite a unique beer and i can understand the cult following.

4.24/5  rDev -0.5%

(a)Pours a ruby-esque dark carmel with a deep tan medium foam head. Leaves good lacing, perfect carbonation. (4/5)

(s) Hopheads World-wide, get a good sniff of this brew. Heavy on the hops but a perfect citrus balance. Not your traditional APA, this stuff puts some of the strongest IPA's to shame. (5/5)

(t) Taste delivers what the smell promises. Hints of orange, lemon...like a gumballhead on juice who just 5lbs of hops for dinner. (4/5)

(m) Good amount of bite, works the palette nicely. Not too sweet with the citrus and not too overpowering on the bitterness. (4/5)

(d) I would say the most I would have of these in one sitting would be 3...but for as much bite and punch this packs its suprizingly drinkable. (4/5)

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Okay there is not much I can add to the reviews already given. This is a great APA. I give it 4s to 4.5s across the board. It's an A beer. If you can find it, drink it. Watch dating however. I really liked it and wish I had picked up more than one bottle from the store.

Cannot belive I have never reviewed my all time favorite beer. Being from Chi town I remember tasting the very first batches of this beer on tap at The Hop Leaf in Andersonville. My friend's and I were blown away. Keep in mind that 10 -11 year's ago, there were no really big beer's like this. The floral and citrus flavor that is derived from this beer was mind blowing. We would drink pitcher after pitcher... And the alpha king on the tap handle looked very alluring, you knew you were in for a treat.

Forget about the look's and the lacing with this one. The only thing you need to know is the superbly balanced malt and hop ratio... Yes this is a hop bomb, however in a very gentle sort of way... The aroma just wreak's of floral and citrusy hop's galore, in addition to the Belgian Caravienna malt's that hide in the backround. It's fine touches like the different malt and hop blend's that push this beer above and beyond greatness...

Drinkability is off the chart's. I could and have drank a case of these when I'm on a bender.
Sure you will have a hangover but you will have a good time knocking them down

I'm trying to keep this review simple. This beer just kick's ass. But don't take my word for it. Go out and get some and see for youre'self. All in all, one of the best brew's ever made. Do not miss this one...

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Pours a deep amber, with a thin off-white head that dissipates quickly. Mild to moderate lacing.

S: Deep piney aroma

T: Tastes very strongly of pineapple, with a slight malt sweetness.

M: Surprisingly carbonated, given the small head and unimpressive lacing. Very crisp.

D: Carbonation and great flavor make this one very drinkable. A very good beer.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured into Pint glass and formed a 2 finger head. Still some left as it climbs down the glass.

Great nose caramel upfront and grapefruit at the end.

Taste is great nice malty body more citrus at the end with a little Pine.

One of my favorite APA's hits the Palate just right!!!

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Great beer. Pours into the glass and leaves a nice tan head, which remains for the entire beer. A beautiful copper colored ale with a little bit of cloudiness from the yeast from the bottom of the bottle. A few small bubbles make their way up, not overly carbonated. Smells like pine and citrus, and slightly sweet, maybe like caramel. The taste is outstanding, finding a nice balance between hops and malts. Hints of grapefruit at first with a nice, earthy aftertaste. A pleasant hop flavor lingers long after swallowing. Leaves a nice, slightly slick feeling in the back of the mouth. This is a fantastic APA which seems to find a hop/malt harmony that can satisfy hop-heads and non-hop-heads alike.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a deep amber/orange with a beauitful white pillow one finger head. Lots of citrus and pine hops, with a malt sweetness supporting it the whole way. Taste is very balanced between a solid malt profile and some great hops. We could drink this bad boy all day.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

A: Pours to a clear orange color with a persistent one finger beige head.

S: (I fear I may have gotten an older bottle) Nose is a fine balance of caramel malt and citrusy hops.

T: This is delicious citrus hop juice. Labeled an APA, drinks more like an IPA. I mean, this *is* an IPA. An absolutely fantastic IPA. Balanced enough to not be overbearing, but still hop forward. Medium bodied and everything I want out of a hoppy beer. So good.

M: Medium bodied, nice lively carbonation.

O: Buy this beer. Trade for this beer. /drool

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Alpha King - Pale Ale @ 6.0%

Appearance: Slightly cloudy amber color. Darker than I expected from a pale ale. Great head with sufficient lacing throughout the entire glass. The cap almost broke my opener so this was sealed with love!

Smell: Citrusy large presence of hops. More of an IPA type smell to it than a Pale Ale. A nice sweet malt hint that I can't wait to taste.

Taste: Wow, not any typical Pale ale for sure! A huge concentration of hops. I'm getting a toffee-like hint along with big hops, piney, grapefruit undertones. A well balanced pale ale? Didn't know that this could exist. For a Pale Ale, this is superb, hell if you told me this was an IPA, I wouldn't argue. It blows many IPA's I've had, away.

Mouthfeel: The brew has a creamy feel which covers the palate with flavor from first swig. I don't know if this is a pale ale. I would classify it closer to an IPA.

Drinkability: This beer puts SNPA to shame. It is an APA on steriods and holds a very solid complex hoppy, malty, bitter-sweet masterpiece together. I could drink this all night. Too bad its not readily available in SoCal. I got this in a trade from Northertimber.

In all, this beer would rate as one of the best Pale Ales that I've ever tried. The folks at 3 Floyds are amazing and I can't wait to try Dreadnaught someday. Thanks Chris for this one!

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle a deep amber color with 1/2 inch head. Smells of citrus and floral hops. A slight hint of malt till the hops kick in. Tastes almost like an IPA with the big hop flavor. Very Nice! Has a medium body and goes down smooth. The hoppiest of the APA's I've tried yet. An awesome beer that I plan to go back to many times in the future.

Bottle. Poured a nice amber, nice slightly off-white head that left lacing. Aroma was very inviting, nice citrus and pine notes. Flavor is slight hoppy, again nice citrus and pine flavors, very subtle, not over the top. Will be having this one again.

4.92/5  rDev +15.5%

Huge hop presence in the nose, with much to offer in the malt department. Taste is quite sweet with huge hops to make it nice and bitter. I actually used to prefer this from the bottle slightly more, as it is less sweet, but now tap is where it's at. At any rate, an amazing session ale.

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Love this beer! Pours a perfect darkish-golden and smells of awesome grapefruity-ness. The hops really stand out, as in most 3 Floyds beers. Head was 1.5" and laced fairly nicely along the glass. This might be my favorite overall beer, and it's quite drinkable.

4.21/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz bottle to glass.

Looks great...reddish brown ale color. The head of my beer was short, 1/2 finger with minimal lacing. I do believe this beer has some age on it though.

Smells fantastic...Citrus pines like a lime and pinecone crossbreed.

Its a good Hoppy ale. Im still new to the world of IPA's or Big hoppy beers but this one is actually enjoyable to drink unlike some.

4.56/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Very good Pale. Definitely heavier on the malt side than what I had expected but in a good way. I got notes of biscuit, toffee and carmel that i would usually get from an Amber.

4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

This bees is defiantly the "King" of Pale Ales in my book. The wonderful golden copper color and thick creamy head delighted me at the start. The smell was rich and floral from perfect dry hopping. The taste was excellent. A complex blend of grains balanced with hoppy floral esters and bitterness balanced this beer beautifully. Starts out smooth and sweet, becoming bitter and piney, with a citrus middle and a tart, floral finish. Hail the King!!

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Wow, I'd forgotten how much I liked this beer. It reminds me so much of my senior year in college, where my favorite local bar often had Alpha King on tap. Ah, those were the days...

Anywho, on to the review. This brew pours a lovely golden oaky color with a medium-sized head. The smell is absolutely to die for, a sweet and complex aroma of hops, hops, hops! The taste is similarly divine, a sharp, spicy bite with the sweetness of a flower garden. It's a relatively intense experience, and probably not everyone enjoys this fine ale as much as I, but this is one brew I'll be coming back to over and over again.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Another great beer from my favorite brewery.

Nice coppery color with a light head that sticks to the glass.

Nice hoppy aroma and some sweet caramel malt.

Taste is just the way I want my APA's. Big hop bite with some slightly toasty sweet malt flavor.

This is a great sessional APA on the verge of an IPA.

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%

In classic Three Floyd's style, this beer sits outside the box of the traditional style the claim. Therefore, I will be rating this beer as if it were an IPA because I feel it much better fits that category.

Appearance: This beer pours a deep copper bronze with a light slightly brown lacing for a head. It is quite clear with only a slight haze showing when the glass is swirled.

Smell: This beer smells freaking amazing! There is a deep floral hop spice along with a rich caramel malt backbone. There is a definite hint of fresh orange and lemon zest to nicely round out the nose. I would describe the aroma of this beer as fantastically full. Meaning, I can take huge, deep breaths of the beer and be extremely pleased and excited to take the next drink.

Taste: There is a nice balance between a bready malt sweetness and a rich floral, grassy, spicy freshness. As the flavor builds there is a definite character of chewy bread crust and bitter lemon peel. As you swallow the beer finishes there is a distinct, but not unpleasant, lingering bitterness along with a mild alcohol warmth.

Mouthfeel: This beer has a medium full body that coast the palette without being overly full or viscous. The beer has a medium to low carbonation and a dry finish that make the beer quite refreshing and drinkable.

Drinkability: This beer is drinkable to the point that it could get you in trouble. It's in that danger zone of having an extremely nice aroma, complex flavor, and full body without being exhausting on your palette. There is an alcohol warming letting you know that it's a big beer, but without a shocking enough warning to make you want to stop drinking after quite a few pints. ;)

OVERALL IMPRESSION: I think this is a fantastic representation of an IPA. It has a good hop component without being harsh and a nice malt character to create balance for the strong hop presence. The beer has amazing layers of flavor and aroma. The fact that this beer is also so drinkable makes it a nice addition to any wonderfully packed beer fridge. Alpha King is absolutely delicious and a must buy, in my opinion, for IPA lovers.

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%

With everything the Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald has to offer but just lacks a little on the finish. Great drink and one of my more favorite beers.

A: Pours a dark brown color nearly black. Creamy brown colored head shows decent head retention. Little bit of lacing but not as much as I'd like to see from FFF.

S: MMMmm so very delicious smell of dark chocolate and a bit of nutmeg maybe? I know I can smell some earthy spices in there and it's a good thing!

T: It's a little harsh on the hop taste for a porter but it's not unwelcome. Again you get a chocolate to add to this cause it's very strong with this and the nutmeg does remind me of christmas.

M: Very smooth the alcohol and hops come through a bit but not to much, very nice and creamy coat to this beer.

D: Three Floyds is yet to disappoint me and I must say all of there beers are damn near all A+ on drink-ability.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

I should mention that this is my go-to beer, so I might be a smidge biased...but only because I really like it.

A: Color is a dark caramel-orange. Aggressive pour yields a finger and a half of creamy head that dissipates slowly and leaves good lacing behind.

S: Strong citrus and floral notes. I love the way this beer smells.

T: Citrus forward, but overall a great balance between the hop bitterness and malt sweetness.

M: Perfect carbonation, doesn't totally dry out my mouth, but also doesn't feel flat. Just awesome.

O: Like I said, this is my go-to beer, so this is the one I'm all about. I love just about everything about this one.

Alpha King from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.