Barrel Aged Alpha Klaus - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Barrel Aged Alpha KlausBarrel Aged Alpha Klaus

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Porter |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: jeonseh on 01-10-2008)

2.75/5  rDev -34.8%

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Bottle number 307/423 opened on 4.20.13

A - Pours a very dark brown with a fizzy brown head that moves to the edges pretty quickly.

S - Strong bourbon, barrel, dark cherry and ripe fruits, sweet.

T - Bourbon, wood, barrel, sweet cherry fruits, finishes with some coffee and chocolate.

D - Mild carbonation with a heavier body.

O - Lots of things going on here: Fruit, barrel, coffee, wood, and sweet. I enjoyed it.

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

4.19/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to CLCardinal 84 for making this trade happen.

I do not have much experience with Three Floyds beers, and have always been curious surrounding their offerings (Dark Lord, Zombie Dust, Arctic Panzer Wolf, etc.). My bottle was Bottle No. 259 of 423.

When I think of porter's, I rarely think of big massive beers and generally jump to sessionable, "smaller" versions of stouts/imperial stouts. While this beer wasn't quite as massive as an imperial stout, it was definitely close. After cracking the bottle open, I smelled the all too familiar bourbon - and it was awesome. Big bourbon notes on the nose. Once in the glass, the beer showed solid carbonation with roughly 2-3 fingers of head. Color was medium tan.

One thing that stood out to me was the color of this beer. For being a porter, it was dark as night. The outer rim of the beer might have showed a light red-brown hue, but there was no light coming through this beer. The color/hue of this beer really reminded me of Victory at Sea by Ballast Point, another awesome massive porter.

Immediate flavors I could pick out were dark fruit, bourbon, some roasty notes, and light caramel. What really stood out to me was how much this beer reminds me of Melange No. 3 from the Bruery. I really loved the unique flavors of this beer - I was surprised the whole way from sip to finish. Where I think this beer falls short is the mouthfeel. Even though it was loaded with all sorts of beer goodness, it was a bit thin. I really wanted this beer to have smack or pop. There were so many awesome components of this beer. This beer was incredibly delicious, and hid the 10% ABV really well. I could have easily opened another bottle (if I had one) and been totally satisfied.

Barrel Aged Alpha Klaus from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub