Hank On Rye - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

good

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Smoked Beer |  6.00% ABV

This beer, created in honor of Henry Chinaski, was a collaboration between Three Floyds and Jonathan Cutler of Piece Brewery. Its delicate, spicy, smoked character is derived from a portion of smoked and rye malts. Formerly known as Ham On Rye.

(Beer added by: jeonseh on 03-07-2008)

4.85/5  rDev +30.4%

This was one of the best beers in my opinion that Three Floyds had on tap. I guess they didn't think it was good enough as they no longer brew it and currently have no plans to do so again.
Great dark amber color, one of the best smelling beers ever! It obviously smells very smoky, definitely like smoked meat. Great malt, leaves you feeling kinda thirsty. You definitely need a glass of water after this. Has a very thin head, leaves good lacing on the side of the glass. I would pay good money to see this on tap again at FFF. They really had to cut back on some excellent brews once the economy tanked. I feel their pain, but damn they need to brew this one again!

4.75/5  rDev +27.7%

4.75/5  rDev +27.7%

4.58/5  rDev +23.1%

I really can't think of a better smoked beer. This look is deep golden, clear, with a small head.

Smell and taste are smokey malt of the finest kind. Silky smooth mouthfeel rounds out the experience. The smoke taste does rival a good ham, and the backbone of rye gives it a perfect offsetting spiciness that lingers. It does have a sweetness that seems like dark brown sugar, but that only gives a note that you want more, not cloying but not dry in any sense.

I have seen this on draft only twice, would put it in my top 10 of all time and wish it was around more. My score is higher than most since smoke beers are among my favorites, not for all, but if you like the style this is the bomb.

4.53/5  rDev +21.8%

Imbibed at Bavarian Lodge in Lisle, IL 01/26/2011.

Appearance -- Hued like a mahogany desk with a slim cap of creamy beige head. Looks delightful.

Smell -- Meaty! There is a definite ham sandwich aroma that arises from a gentle swirl of the glass. Spicy rye, cocoa, mild ground coffee aroma, ad floral hops round out the nose. Lots going on. Beguiling.

Taste -- Meaty? Only slightly. The ham sandwich character so prominent in the nose is somewhat muted in the flavor - for the best? Assertive rye spiciness, gentle woodsmoke, cocoa, gently roast malt, coffee, floral hops, and a modicum of malt sweetness. Lingering flavor of, yes, ham on rye.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-full body with an abundance of foamy carbonation.

Drinkability -- Coming into this beer, I thought it would be an interesting novelty. However, this turned out to be my favorite rye beer to date. Lots of complexity coming from the grist with spicy rye, woodsmoke, and roast malt. Well balanced, but still keeps one at attention. If you ever have the chance to try this, don't hesitate or you will live to regret your poor decision.

4.51/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

It flies in the face of all logic, but I love this beer. I wish it was bottled. I wish FFF would at the very least would make it annually again.

Appearance - The beer was a darker golden color served with a bubbly white head. The barkeep at FFF served the beer in a pilsner glass.

Smell - The rye is the most impressive note, but I am pretty sure I can also actually smell salt. This one smells like it tastes.

Taste - I think the 2014 batch is a little weaker than previous years. The initial impression that comes to the front is the tang of the rye. But then, the smoke and the saltiness (like ham) balance out the rye. The main drawback of the beer is that it finishes a little weak. The aftertaste veers in a sour direction, with the salt losing its flavor.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is pretty straight forward. The carbonation is pretty average and the beer goes down smooth, leaving a nice coat on the tongue.

Overall - I like this one a lot, but even I start getting bored by the end of the glass. I think the beer itself gets bored with me because it loses interest in tasting the same.

4.43/5  rDev +19.1%

On tap at the Revolution Brewpub in Chicago this unique brew is a slightly hazed copper color with a thin but very sturdy light oatmeal colored head that leaves a perfect wall of lacing! The aroma lives up to the billing with heavy grilled, smoked ham idea with wheaty-malt rye. Easily worth the price of admission. The flavor gives me sweet smoked ham and herbal hops. I pick up on some pineapple and sprucey hop qualities. This is solidly medium bodied with light carbonation for a somewhat sticky feel. The hop infusion here is just awesome and this is a true keeper. Three Floyd, ya dun it again!

4.38/5  rDev +17.7%

With some research I found out that this brew is a collaboration between the folks at FFF and Piece Brewing. A rye beer brewed with smoked malts, how can you go wrong?

A-Deep copper body with lustrous, golden highlights. This beer practically shimmers in the glass. A thin, light tan head reduces to a thin ring and leaves spotty lace.

S-Light smokiness up front with a backing of malt sweetness and a pronounced spicy kick. Similar to a local meat product called Lebanon Bologna.

T-Wow! Super interesting--Ham on Rye is no lie! Smoky, but not crazy so, with a spicy dry finish. A tangy touch in the end too. This combination works really well.

M-Medium-light bodied sharp and tangy. LONG lingering smoke and spice combination lasts for minutes after I have taken a sip.This one has some serious longevity.

D-Well, I am not going to lie to you--I am a devotee of smoked beers and this one does not disappoint in any way! Mmm, mmm....The spicy aspect works really well and turns this rather mundane smoked amber into a work of art! Ham on Rye--true that! Well done FFF and Piece!

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

I went to 3 Foyds lastnight with a buddy and this was the first beer we drank of the night. I have heard good things about this beer and they are all true. It really smells like and tatse like ham on rye! It has a bacon after tatse that I thought was great! Who doesnt like bacon? Overall very good beer and I hope its still on tap next time I visit 3 Floyds!

It was served in a pint glass. Appearance was a medium color of brown with a small head that faded away quickly. Smell was great. Taste was good!

4.33/5  rDev +16.4%

A - A dark, brownish amber color with a finger of white head. Some fat lacing and spots left on the sides.

S - The wife was convinced this beer was actually made with ham. Very smokey with a great bacon/ham smell to it. There is some slight malt backbone there besides the smoke, but you have to strain to smell it. I think it smells fantastic.

T - Tastes like bacon or ham on rye. Really awesome, and a great change of pace if you've been drinking something sweet. A little bit of malt sweetness with a tiny pinch of hops complete the flavor profile.

M - Medium bodied, if carbonation gets any higher it will lose points for it, but it's fine.

O - I really liked this beer, maybe I'm just on a cured meat kick, but it tastes like a sandwich. A nice change from anything sweet.

4.33/5  rDev +16.4%

Had this on-tap at Poor Phil's in Oak Park. Served in a 20 oz tumbler.

Poured a brownish-gold, with a two inch head that stuck around. Decent lacing throughout.

Smell is somewhat bready and spicy, with a strong but not overwhelming presence of smoke. Actually smells quite similar to ham and less like smoke.

Taste is spot on for a ham and rye sandwich. I'm not sure how they did it, but it tastes exactly like the name. There is a nice smokey/honey flavor from the malt that tastes like ham, and a spicy contributor from the rye malt. Eminently quaffable, and the taste does not linger too much in the finish.

Mouthfeel is full, creamy, and has a slight slickness to it. Medium carbonation.

Overall a very drinkable beer. I would definitely come back to this beer again. Everything is balanced and seems to fit well together.

4.33/5  rDev +16.4%

Tried this on 26 Apr 2011 at the Brewpub. Served in a nonic pint glass.

Small light brown head. Lightly carbonated. Clear light brown color. Aroma is smoky with just a touch of meatiness. The flavor starts with a lot of smoked bacon. Moderately sweetly smoky. Then more smoky meatiness. Nicely malty sweet underneath the bacon. Just a very light bitterness in the finish. Medium body, moderate alcohol.

Definitely the meatiest tasting smoked beer I have had.

4.3/5  rDev +15.6%

On tap at the brewpub...review from notes.

A- Pours a brownish cola color. One and a half finger whtie head that shows medium retention. No real lacing on the beer as I drink it down.

S- Big time rye in the front of this. Smokey meaty aroma in the middle of this combines the two aromas and makes my mouth water. This smells like well....ham on rye!

T- Smokey flavors right off the bat. There is a underlying sweetness to this but only in the front half. A light rye becomes the background but pops up for the middle for a second and stays through the ending. This tastes like a ham on rye through and through.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation was a little lacking I thought. Tastes were smokey and left everywhere from the palate and long into the aftertaste. Flavors blended well together and matched up evenly. No real alcohol drying on the palate.

D- This was a couple and done beer. I enjoyed it a lot for the fact that it tasted like it was suppose too. Smoked beers I like but only a couple pints please.

4.3/5  rDev +15.6%

Served in Imperial Pint glass from the pub...

A- Pours a deep orange copper color with about an inch of light tan head that settles and leave minimal lacing.

S- Haha... wtf?! This smells just like a honey baked ham. There is a lot of sweet caramel and honey with a nice smoke to back it up. Craziness...

T/M- WTF?!?! This tastes just like a honey baked ham! I just don't get it. There is a spice component from the rye that took over as the beer warmed up a bit, but it was predominately a very sweet beer with some nice smokey undertones to balance. Great medium body with low carbonation that really sits on the tongue and makes you think you are drinking your dinner.

O- Wow... This beer is out of this world. The only downfall of this beer is that a full 16oz is a bit much. At first this was my dads favorite beer of the night, he couldn't believe it- so I traded him for his Gumballhead. I noticed after awhile he wasn't drinking it much anymore. I asked what was up and he said he loves it, but it was just too much. So we traded back and then it was hard for me to finish! Anyway, its a great beer, but a sipper and something to enjoy in small quantities. I really appreciate what FFF did here and the score is fairly high because it is one of the best specialty beers I have ever had and think it truly is masterfully crafted to taste how it does.

Hank On Rye from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub