Hank On Rye - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Hank On Rye
No picture.
good

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Smoked Beer |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: jeonseh on 03-07-2008

This beer, created in honor of Henry Chinaski, was a collaboration between Three Floyds and Jonathan Cutler of Piece Brewery. Its delicate, spicy, smoked character is derived from a portion of smoked and rye malts. Formerly known as Ham On Rye.
Ratings: 192 | Reviews: 60
1.94/5  rDev -48%

Haha, this beer is hilarious. It tastes exactly like a ham sandwich. There is absolutely nothing else to say about it. It tastes like a salty ham sandwich.

I have no idea how they did it, but it's spot on. Unfortunately, even though they nailed the taste, ham sandwich isn't a very good beer flavor.

I definitely give FFF points for originality and successfully doing what they were trying to do, but other than that, this is not an enjoyable beer.

No big deal, though, these guys have earned the right to experiment. Still the best brewery in the world, in my opinion.

1.98/5  rDev -46.9%

On-tap at Revolution.

Pours a clear amber with a small off-white head that lingers around the edge.

Aroma of smokey campfire mixed with medicinal cherry throat lozenges. Not good.

Upfront taste is light smokey malts with a slightly sweet fruitiness. Malty middle with some caramel sweetness and piney hops. The finish is a unique combination of pine, smoke, and citrus. Lingering smokey flavor.

Medium body with moderate carbonation. Clean finish.

Not a fan of this at all. Really hard to drink, even for a smoked beer. The aroma of cough syrup throws the taste off before it even hits the tongue. Comes across as a malty IPA gone awry with smoked malt. Disappointing.

3/10/2012

2.75/5  rDev -26.3%

I HATE to give FFF a review like this but here goes. I did not like this brew. I only had a couple sips because I wouldnt have been able to drink anymore than that. Its seriously like a piece of salt ham. I'm sure thats what they were aiming for but its a very wierd taste! Unless you have food you cant drink it IMHO.

2.8/5  rDev -24.9%

From notes on 3/21/14

On tap at 3 Floyds. Smokey aroma. Very smokey flavors. First beer like this. But not to big of a fan of the smoked malt. Its got a nice bitterness. My girlfriend likes it more than I do. To much like smoke flavors.

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

On tap at Three Floyds on the day before Dark Lord Day. Served in an imperial pint.

Appearance
This has a nice color. Its a deep, rusty red with browns interspersed. The head is a very light tan and leaves decent lacing.

Aroma
Indeed, very smokey. It does smell a lot like ham, but at this point I didn't even know what I was in for. The smoke isn't all that roasty. Its more of a cured meat type of smell with a nice rye snappiness to it.

Taste
I was taken aback as soon as I tasted it. Its very big on flavors of baked ham. The ham is perceivable throughout the whole taste but really comes out strong on the aftertaste. It really blows my mind. I keep picturing the glazed rind of a baked ham. I'm not entirely sure I like it. Its not totally gross, but it does come close.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied and kinda slick. The carbonation is soft and pillowy.

Overall
Very interesting. It blows my mind how much like ham this stuff tastes. Well worth a try, just for the experience, but I wouldn't buy copious amounts of this.

3.39/5  rDev -9.1%

A: Nice amber colored pour with an average sized cream colored head. Just small spots of lace left behind.

S: The aroma is very smokey with hints of meat and salt. Touches of spice as well, but very earthy.

T: Very bold smoked flavor. Not your normal smoke either. This one is very meaty like homemade jerky. Touches of salt and spicey rye as well. Does in fact taste a bit like a sandwich. All you would need is a splash of pickle juice to make it complete.

M: Medium in body, pretty smooth.

D: They serve it in an imperial. Could easily be served in a 1/2 pint in which they serve most of their big beers. Uniquely enjoyable, but not one to be sessioned.

3.52/5  rDev -5.6%

I tried this on tap at the brewpub. This pours a translucent brownish, dirty amber with a one finger off white head. The smell is of weak ham. For a smoked beer I expected a little more. There isn't much pork to it and the smoke is really subtle. It tastes of a ham sandwhich on rye, as I guess it should but it's not really that impressive. I expected the flavors to be more bold. It drank smoothly and was pretty light in body. This beer wasn't anything too special but I'm glad I could try it.

3.53/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap.

It is a lighter amberish brown.

The smell is smoky, I guess smoked ham isn't too far off.

The flavor is sweet and smoky. Not the best smoke beer I have had but decent. IT is sweet with a brown sugar hint going through it along with a nice smokiness.

A good one.

3.58/5  rDev -4%

From 03/05/11 notes. Growler shared by Thorpe429; thanks Mike!

a - Pour a murky amber, orange color with one inch of fluffy white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of smoke, roasted malts, rye, and wheat.

t - Tastes of rye, smoke, roasted malts, toasted malts, and smoked meat.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - A pretty interesting smoked beer. I thought there was more smoke and meat in the flavor than the nose. Not the smokiest I've bad, but pretty enjoyable and glad I got to try it.

3.6/5  rDev -3.5%

Had this on tap at FFF into a nonic pint glass. According to the menu it has 20 IBUs and was brewed in honor of Henry Chinoski and was a collaboration with Johnathon Cutler of Piece Brewery.

A -- a light magohonoy color with stream of golden light and even seems like there is a bit of an orange color haze that also pervades this beer. It was also mildly opaque as only a small amount of light seemed to go through this beer. There was a small white head that sat on top for a few seconds before fading away leaving on a light white head that sat on the sides of the glass.

S - smell is hints of cured meat; mostly ham more than other cured meats and there is also a light smokiness that seems to come forth from this one.There also is a light hint of orange to me that seems a bit out of place and on the whole, don't think this one is all too fragrant.

T - the first taste is a slightly sweet malt that seems to sit on the tongue and give the taste of almost caramel or maple syrup. However, the main taste comes forth which is smoked kielbasa in my opinion. There is a light bit of sweetness that combats some of the smokiness and it almost tastes a bit like a sweet drizzle on the kielbasa. Have to say that the main flavors are truly a kielbasa smokiness especially in the aftertaste as the aftertaste reminds me of the smoked aspect of the meat and even a bit like the greasy, fat aftertaste on gets from eating said kielbasa. Overall, an interesting and unique brew and can definitely saw they reached their goals of making a beer that taste like cured meat.

MF - a nice, thick and full bodied brew that one can definitely tell they are drinking. Almost makes it taste like you are eating a full meal and would say this beer taste and feels like eating a mouthful of kielbasa and sauerkraut. There is a light amount of carbonation and there is also a bit of a greasy coating that is left on the tongue which reminds me of the feeling after eating kielbasa.

D - a beer that would be a perfect replacement for a kielbasa and sauerkraut meal as the smoky meat taste is so prevalent. On the whole I am not too sure as to how I feel about this beer. It is good and interesting and accomplishes its goal but after a while it started to get old and a bit too much for me. The greasy meat aftertaste started to wear on me and really had no desire to have another. On the whole, I would say this is a beer worth trying but not one that I would try again after having the experience once.

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

Growler provided by Thorpe. Thanks. Beer is kind of amber with a thin head of bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass, evidence of carbonation, looks like beer.

Aroma is quite smokey, I suppose it smells like a meat smoke house.

Beer is thinner than expected, not getting much in the way of rye though. It has a nice smokiness to it, decent but ultimately flat one note flavor. One of my least favorite Three Floyds beers to date but I would have it again on draft if possible.

3.7/5  rDev -0.8%

A: Amber with a cream colored head.

S: The aroma is definately that of a ham on rye. Very smokey with almost a salty flavor as well.

T: Smoked rye really jumps at you with a very meaty/hammy aftertaste.

M: Medium to heavy in body, yet fairly smooth.

D: Not a session beer. One or two at the absolute most.

A must try beer at least once if you're ever visiting FFF.

3.7/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this beer at the Three Floyds Pub in Munster.

This beer is a shock to the senses. The weak need not apply. VERY strong taste that will wake up those dormant taste buds!

the aroma was strong, but not overpowering. I could detect a hint of sweet apple juice in the nose, but that was soon dominated by the smokiness that ensued.

The taste was ORIGINAL. I have never had a beer like it. It indeed tastes like a Ham on Rye, as the name implies. Smokey, spicy, with a nice hoppy presence that made me want to continue to drink it. I had it with the Reuben and what a match it was!

This beer is one you have to talk about. You know, that beer you get your friends to try. You either love it or you hate. I LOVED it. Going to have to get a growler to take back to "experiment" with some beer buddies.

3.77/5  rDev +1.1%

Picked up this growler at Three Floyds last weekend to share at a local tasting. Served in a Bruery tulip.

Pours a moderate red-amber color with a very thin off-white head that doesn't stick around too long before falling and not leaving too much behind. The nose brings some lightly-smoked malt along with a bit of roasted--you guessed it--ham. There is a bit of bready malt there as well. Taste doesn't quite bring home the bacon like I would have liked, though it certainly wasn't bad. The base malt seemed to take up too much of the flavor. Medium body with a slightly-smokey finish. A good brew, but the taste didn't live up to the nose.

3.77/5  rDev +1.1%

Very clear chestnut with large carbonation bubbles and no head.

A little smokey with caramel malts and spicey rye notes. Hints of pine and herbal hops.

Nice smoked meats. Ham ha on the finish spicey rye aspect with a carmalized malt sweetness that really balances out the drying smoke.

Mouth is a little light and thin yet good carbonation. Easy rinker.

3.78/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a clear and visibly highly carbonated brown color with a thin and creamy tan head. The aroma is vague but gives off hints of sweet malty grain. The taste is also sweet and a touch of grain with a subtle background of smoke. The body is medium and very drinkable but the brew is slightly tart from beginning to end. The finish is slow and sees an slight increase in tartness and smokiness, and both of which linger after the end.

3.78/5  rDev +1.3%

Sampled at DLD 08. Appeared in a nice tulip like glass, a nice amber with white head.
Smell is massive rye notes and nice smokey sweetness.
Taste is a knockout rye with a good malt balance and I suppose some hops. This thing really tastes and smells like a ham sandwich. I'm impressed....but....how? I never wanted a ham sandwich so much in my life. Mild carbonation and very smooth. Feels a little thin and mild. Not sure about drinkability just due to the massive rye. One suited me just fine.

3.79/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Darker gold in color and nice white head that shows medium retention.

S: Big time rye in the front of this. Smokey aroma later on, pretty nice.

T: Rye up front with some smokiness up front. There is a underlying sweetness to this but only in the front half. Very much reminiscent of a ham on rye.

M: Medium mouthfeel. Tastes were smokey and left everywhere from the palate and long into the aftertaste. Nice dry rye to it.

O: A nice change of pace, not something I would crave however.

3.8/5  rDev +1.9%

A pint served on tap at Bavarian Lodge in Lisle IL

It pours a clear brown color that is just a shade lighter than cola. A two inch head dies down within the first minute to just a small ring of bubbles.

The nose is very heavy on the smoked malt. It's quite nice and underneath that I can detect just a little rye.

The taste is smoky with lots of caramelized sugars. Fairly reminiscent of a nice honey glazed smoked ham without the ham flavor; if that makes sense. I can get just a little rye on the end and if the rye taste would have been more prevalent I think they would have pulled off perfectly what their goal was.

It was served too cold for my liking (more of an establishment critique). The high amounts of smoked malt were a somewhat too harsh on my mouth but still pretty drinkable despite the smoke. I was very excited when I saw this on the tap list and am glad to say it was a very interesting and enjoyable beer. It's making me appreciate and seek out some more smoke beers since their flavor profiles are always a unique one.

3.84/5  rDev +2.9%

Had this on tap, poured into pint glass. Amber body with with minimal light tan head. Smells smokey, like smoked cheese with some spicy mustard. Taste follows the nose. Smokey, bready malt and spice. This brew is aptly named. Medium body with moderate carbonation and a smoky finish. I had to try this for the name alone. I was pleasantly surprised. I could not drink a bunch of these, but would get one again and I think my appreciation would grow from increased exposure to this style.

3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

Growler shared by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike!

The beer appears a golden amber hue with a quarter inch of white head that leaves some decent lacing upon the glass. The aroma is of smoke and smoked malt. I don't think I could single out ham, per se, but I could get a sense of smoked meat in the nose. The flavor is decent and follows the aroma. I didn't enjoy this brew nearly as much as my favorite authentic rauchbiers, but it was good nonetheless. The body was a tad thin for my liking. A fun beer, I would have it again.

3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

On tap at the Black Sparrow.

Pours like an amber, medium head. No complaints.

Smells like a dull rye. The grain is straight rye--interesting, tangy. But you don't got the usual hop profile that mixes things up.

Tastes like a smoked dull rye. Pumpernickel blends with flowers, powdered tang (the orange drink), and light nodes of smoked meat. Ends on a small dose of hop bitterness. Neat, but nothing remarkable.

Figured it'd be a rye, since, well that's in the name. Didn't expect the smoke, even though I should have. My one complaint is that this isn't nearly smoky enough--it tastes a *little* meaty, but when you get a big, big rauch it actually tastes like a hickory farms sampler. I'd never thought I say this, but if Three Floyds had just been a little more bold then this beer would have been great.

3.87/5  rDev +3.8%

Served in a pint glass at FFF 1/16/10. Special thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

A: Served a clear, dark brown. Capped with a tiny, off white head that immediately evaporated to a thin skim that left no lace.

S: Aroma, of well, smoked meat. Some roasty malt and rauch malt, too.

T: See above with more ham.

M: Smooth with subtle hints of prickle.

D: Good, but not earth shattering. I've been wanting to try this for a while, and I'm glad we were able to, but I'll probably pass on it next time I see it.

3.87/5  rDev +3.8%

A- Pours a reddish brown color with a pretty thin tannish colored head.

S- Ok I was warned via text by Mbpbugeye about this one. Man he was right on. This brew some how smells like a ham sandwich on rye just like the name go figure. Pretty amazing and confusing.

T- This ham taste totally dominants this brew. Some smoke, very light coffee, and rye spice.

M- Medium in body with a pretty good amount of carbonation.

O- This is a very interesting beer. Its not bad by any means just very very different. I had no problem putting this one down and laughing my ass off about how it tastes like a ham sandwich. I don't think I'd drink this one on a regular basis though.

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

A- dark copper color, off white head sticks around for the duration of the beer.
S- Aroma is sweet malts, some smoke, and minimal hops.
T- Really sweet flavor, somewhat smokey but not even close to the band aid flavor I have had in some smoked beers. And like the name implies, there is a very sweet maple glazed ham flavor that lingers through the aftertaste. Very unique.
M- Medium carbonation and a heavy sticky body.
D- Overall this one lives up to its name, but I could not drink more then one of these due to its sweetness. A very unique beer that I am glad I got to try.

Hank On Rye from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.