Hank On Rye - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Hank On Rye
No picture.
good

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Smoked Beer |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: jeonseh on 03-07-2008

This beer, created in honor of Henry Chinaski, was a collaboration between Three Floyds and Jonathan Cutler of Piece Brewery. Its delicate, spicy, smoked character is derived from a portion of smoked and rye malts. Formerly known as Ham On Rye.
Ratings: 192 | Reviews: 60
3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

On tap at Three Floyds on the day before Dark Lord Day. Served in an imperial pint.

Appearance
This has a nice color. Its a deep, rusty red with browns interspersed. The head is a very light tan and leaves decent lacing.

Aroma
Indeed, very smokey. It does smell a lot like ham, but at this point I didn't even know what I was in for. The smoke isn't all that roasty. Its more of a cured meat type of smell with a nice rye snappiness to it.

Taste
I was taken aback as soon as I tasted it. Its very big on flavors of baked ham. The ham is perceivable throughout the whole taste but really comes out strong on the aftertaste. It really blows my mind. I keep picturing the glazed rind of a baked ham. I'm not entirely sure I like it. Its not totally gross, but it does come close.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied and kinda slick. The carbonation is soft and pillowy.

Overall
Very interesting. It blows my mind how much like ham this stuff tastes. Well worth a try, just for the experience, but I wouldn't buy copious amounts of this.

3.87/5  rDev +3.8%

A- Pours a reddish brown color with a pretty thin tannish colored head.

S- Ok I was warned via text by Mbpbugeye about this one. Man he was right on. This brew some how smells like a ham sandwich on rye just like the name go figure. Pretty amazing and confusing.

T- This ham taste totally dominants this brew. Some smoke, very light coffee, and rye spice.

M- Medium in body with a pretty good amount of carbonation.

O- This is a very interesting beer. Its not bad by any means just very very different. I had no problem putting this one down and laughing my ass off about how it tastes like a ham sandwich. I don't think I'd drink this one on a regular basis though.

4.3/5  rDev +15.3%

Tried this on 26 Apr 2011 at the Brewpub. Served in a nonic pint glass.

Small light brown head. Lightly carbonated. Clear light brown color. Aroma is smoky with just a touch of meatiness. The flavor starts with a lot of smoked bacon. Moderately sweetly smoky. Then more smoky meatiness. Nicely malty sweet underneath the bacon. Just a very light bitterness in the finish. Medium body, moderate alcohol.

Definitely the meatiest tasting smoked beer I have had.

4.32/5  rDev +15.8%

A - A dark, brownish amber color with a finger of white head. Some fat lacing and spots left on the sides.

S - The wife was convinced this beer was actually made with ham. Very smokey with a great bacon/ham smell to it. There is some slight malt backbone there besides the smoke, but you have to strain to smell it. I think it smells fantastic.

T - Tastes like bacon or ham on rye. Really awesome, and a great change of pace if you've been drinking something sweet. A little bit of malt sweetness with a tiny pinch of hops complete the flavor profile.

M - Medium bodied, if carbonation gets any higher it will lose points for it, but it's fine.

O - I really liked this beer, maybe I'm just on a cured meat kick, but it tastes like a sandwich. A nice change from anything sweet.

3.58/5  rDev -4%

From 03/05/11 notes. Growler shared by Thorpe429; thanks Mike!

a - Pour a murky amber, orange color with one inch of fluffy white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of smoke, roasted malts, rye, and wheat.

t - Tastes of rye, smoke, roasted malts, toasted malts, and smoked meat.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - A pretty interesting smoked beer. I thought there was more smoke and meat in the flavor than the nose. Not the smokiest I've bad, but pretty enjoyable and glad I got to try it.

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

Growler provided by Thorpe. Thanks. Beer is kind of amber with a thin head of bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass, evidence of carbonation, looks like beer.

Aroma is quite smokey, I suppose it smells like a meat smoke house.

Beer is thinner than expected, not getting much in the way of rye though. It has a nice smokiness to it, decent but ultimately flat one note flavor. One of my least favorite Three Floyds beers to date but I would have it again on draft if possible.

3.52/5  rDev -5.6%

I tried this on tap at the brewpub. This pours a translucent brownish, dirty amber with a one finger off white head. The smell is of weak ham. For a smoked beer I expected a little more. There isn't much pork to it and the smoke is really subtle. It tastes of a ham sandwhich on rye, as I guess it should but it's not really that impressive. I expected the flavors to be more bold. It drank smoothly and was pretty light in body. This beer wasn't anything too special but I'm glad I could try it.

3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

Growler shared by Thorpe429. Thanks Mike!

The beer appears a golden amber hue with a quarter inch of white head that leaves some decent lacing upon the glass. The aroma is of smoke and smoked malt. I don't think I could single out ham, per se, but I could get a sense of smoked meat in the nose. The flavor is decent and follows the aroma. I didn't enjoy this brew nearly as much as my favorite authentic rauchbiers, but it was good nonetheless. The body was a tad thin for my liking. A fun beer, I would have it again.

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

A- transparent yellow with white lacing
S-smells exactly what a toasted ham sandwich would smell like.
T-exactly like it smells. Ham sandwich. Incredible how they do this. Wow
M-medium bodied and smooth
D-very dinkable. I don't even need food! Job well done

3.97/5  rDev +6.4%

Had no clue what to expect with this one.. But... Yeah

Pours a amber brownish with a tint of red hues, no head to spak of but well carbonated. Looks pretty decent.

Smells.. Like ham on rye. Im impressed honestly. It's not off-putting.. Just smells like ham on rye.

Tastes .... Like ham on rye. Im amazed. Smokey, meaty, lots of rye spices. So weird yet good

Such an odd brew but really tasty. I'm shocked and amazed!

3.77/5  rDev +1.1%

Picked up this growler at Three Floyds last weekend to share at a local tasting. Served in a Bruery tulip.

Pours a moderate red-amber color with a very thin off-white head that doesn't stick around too long before falling and not leaving too much behind. The nose brings some lightly-smoked malt along with a bit of roasted--you guessed it--ham. There is a bit of bready malt there as well. Taste doesn't quite bring home the bacon like I would have liked, though it certainly wasn't bad. The base malt seemed to take up too much of the flavor. Medium body with a slightly-smokey finish. A good brew, but the taste didn't live up to the nose.

4.52/5  rDev +21.2%

Imbibed at Bavarian Lodge in Lisle, IL 01/26/2011.

Appearance -- Hued like a mahogany desk with a slim cap of creamy beige head. Looks delightful.

Smell -- Meaty! There is a definite ham sandwich aroma that arises from a gentle swirl of the glass. Spicy rye, cocoa, mild ground coffee aroma, ad floral hops round out the nose. Lots going on. Beguiling.

Taste -- Meaty? Only slightly. The ham sandwich character so prominent in the nose is somewhat muted in the flavor - for the best? Assertive rye spiciness, gentle woodsmoke, cocoa, gently roast malt, coffee, floral hops, and a modicum of malt sweetness. Lingering flavor of, yes, ham on rye.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-full body with an abundance of foamy carbonation.

Drinkability -- Coming into this beer, I thought it would be an interesting novelty. However, this turned out to be my favorite rye beer to date. Lots of complexity coming from the grist with spicy rye, woodsmoke, and roast malt. Well balanced, but still keeps one at attention. If you ever have the chance to try this, don't hesitate or you will live to regret your poor decision.

4.29/5  rDev +15%

On tap at the brewpub...review from notes.

A- Pours a brownish cola color. One and a half finger whtie head that shows medium retention. No real lacing on the beer as I drink it down.

S- Big time rye in the front of this. Smokey meaty aroma in the middle of this combines the two aromas and makes my mouth water. This smells like well....ham on rye!

T- Smokey flavors right off the bat. There is a underlying sweetness to this but only in the front half. A light rye becomes the background but pops up for the middle for a second and stays through the ending. This tastes like a ham on rye through and through.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation was a little lacking I thought. Tastes were smokey and left everywhere from the palate and long into the aftertaste. Flavors blended well together and matched up evenly. No real alcohol drying on the palate.

D- This was a couple and done beer. I enjoyed it a lot for the fact that it tasted like it was suppose too. Smoked beers I like but only a couple pints please.

4.04/5  rDev +8.3%

Had this one at the Columbus Bar in Columbus, Indiana.

A: Golden yellow body, no head at all, no lacing.

S: Wow smells just like a ham on rye. Hardwood smoked ham fried in a pan and placed on fresh marbled rye.

T: And she tastes just like she smells, Smokey rye. Very interesting brew. I think it would go really well with some super hot Gumbo or Jambalaya.

M: I would like more body here, and more carbonation, maybe Ii got an old brew, but good nonetheless.

D: The strangeness grows on you as you drink it. One you should definitely try on.

3.7/5  rDev -0.8%

A: Amber with a cream colored head.

S: The aroma is definately that of a ham on rye. Very smokey with almost a salty flavor as well.

T: Smoked rye really jumps at you with a very meaty/hammy aftertaste.

M: Medium to heavy in body, yet fairly smooth.

D: Not a session beer. One or two at the absolute most.

A must try beer at least once if you're ever visiting FFF.

3.78/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a clear and visibly highly carbonated brown color with a thin and creamy tan head. The aroma is vague but gives off hints of sweet malty grain. The taste is also sweet and a touch of grain with a subtle background of smoke. The body is medium and very drinkable but the brew is slightly tart from beginning to end. The finish is slow and sees an slight increase in tartness and smokiness, and both of which linger after the end.

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

Had some at the FFF brewpub. Great smoky flavor, detected some meaty flavors of bacon. Looks and smells great.

A: Clear Dark Brown, small white head

S: Meaty, Smokey

T: Somewhat dry and smokey, Bacon

M:Great beer to drink slowly and enjoy the complex rye and smokey flavors.

D:Had another after my first glass and could have easily had more if not pressed for time.

3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

On tap at the Black Sparrow.

Pours like an amber, medium head. No complaints.

Smells like a dull rye. The grain is straight rye--interesting, tangy. But you don't got the usual hop profile that mixes things up.

Tastes like a smoked dull rye. Pumpernickel blends with flowers, powdered tang (the orange drink), and light nodes of smoked meat. Ends on a small dose of hop bitterness. Neat, but nothing remarkable.

Figured it'd be a rye, since, well that's in the name. Didn't expect the smoke, even though I should have. My one complaint is that this isn't nearly smoky enough--it tastes a *little* meaty, but when you get a big, big rauch it actually tastes like a hickory farms sampler. I'd never thought I say this, but if Three Floyds had just been a little more bold then this beer would have been great.

3.77/5  rDev +1.1%

Very clear chestnut with large carbonation bubbles and no head.

A little smokey with caramel malts and spicey rye notes. Hints of pine and herbal hops.

Nice smoked meats. Ham ha on the finish spicey rye aspect with a carmalized malt sweetness that really balances out the drying smoke.

Mouth is a little light and thin yet good carbonation. Easy rinker.

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

I went to 3 Foyds lastnight with a buddy and this was the first beer we drank of the night. I have heard good things about this beer and they are all true. It really smells like and tatse like ham on rye! It has a bacon after tatse that I thought was great! Who doesnt like bacon? Overall very good beer and I hope its still on tap next time I visit 3 Floyds!

It was served in a pint glass. Appearance was a medium color of brown with a small head that faded away quickly. Smell was great. Taste was good!

3.8/5  rDev +1.9%

A pint served on tap at Bavarian Lodge in Lisle IL

It pours a clear brown color that is just a shade lighter than cola. A two inch head dies down within the first minute to just a small ring of bubbles.

The nose is very heavy on the smoked malt. It's quite nice and underneath that I can detect just a little rye.

The taste is smoky with lots of caramelized sugars. Fairly reminiscent of a nice honey glazed smoked ham without the ham flavor; if that makes sense. I can get just a little rye on the end and if the rye taste would have been more prevalent I think they would have pulled off perfectly what their goal was.

It was served too cold for my liking (more of an establishment critique). The high amounts of smoked malt were a somewhat too harsh on my mouth but still pretty drinkable despite the smoke. I was very excited when I saw this on the tap list and am glad to say it was a very interesting and enjoyable beer. It's making me appreciate and seek out some more smoke beers since their flavor profiles are always a unique one.

3.87/5  rDev +3.8%

Served in a pint glass at FFF 1/16/10. Special thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

A: Served a clear, dark brown. Capped with a tiny, off white head that immediately evaporated to a thin skim that left no lace.

S: Aroma, of well, smoked meat. Some roasty malt and rauch malt, too.

T: See above with more ham.

M: Smooth with subtle hints of prickle.

D: Good, but not earth shattering. I've been wanting to try this for a while, and I'm glad we were able to, but I'll probably pass on it next time I see it.

3.84/5  rDev +2.9%

Had this on tap, poured into pint glass. Amber body with with minimal light tan head. Smells smokey, like smoked cheese with some spicy mustard. Taste follows the nose. Smokey, bready malt and spice. This brew is aptly named. Medium body with moderate carbonation and a smoky finish. I had to try this for the name alone. I was pleasantly surprised. I could not drink a bunch of these, but would get one again and I think my appreciation would grow from increased exposure to this style.

4.2/5  rDev +12.6%

I tried this on tap at an establishment in the mid-state that shall remain nameless - poured at draft temp into a pint.

A - a dark copper/caramel brown shade w/ good clarity and thin cap of white. Very little lace clings and the bead is tiny.

S - Slight sweetness in the smell w/ mild smokey nose w/ subtle spice. The scent is much like cured meat w/ its sweet and smoked scent

M- A very light feel w/ lots of carbonation, mild creamy texture and moderate sweetness as it finishes

T - A sweet malty rye flavor w/ a taste that has a subtle yet noticeable smokiness. The flavor has mild fruitiness w/ subtle toast elements and a candy-like edge w/ caramel malt smoothness. The rye comes through very well in the taste as mild bitterness offsets the malts.

D - A solid beer w/ serious rye flavor. I am always looking for new rye ales to try and was very happy to try this one. A very drinkable beer - highly recommended

4.05/5  rDev +8.6%

A pint glass (2 actually) served at the [name removed for privacy purposes, never thought that Ffej would advocate censorship] on 2-Jan-10. My affinity for rye beers is well documented.

A: The ale has a cuprous bronze color, somewhat dark but still translucent. A steady stream of carbonation only results in a modest head on both glasses. Little to no lacing occurred.

S: The ale has a sweet smoky aroma, not overpowering but definitely there, with bacon being prominent. A spicy rye bread body adds additional depth.

T: Much like the nose, the flavor is a one-two punch of smokehouse and thick rye. The smoky flavors are curehouse-like, with a salty, honey ham presence. Rye bread is a strong compliment to the smoke, a thick meaty meal in a glass. The FFF hop profile, normally in your face, is reserved, adding a floral bite near the end of the sip.

M: The mouthfeel is sweet, enhanced by the smoke. Rye adds a firm bready flavor, mildly spiced. A pleasant beer to sip through.

D: I debated having something else after my first glass but realized that it was too good and I must have more! A nicely smoked ale.

Hank On Rye from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.