Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Hank On Rye - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Hank On Rye
No picture.

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Smoked Beer |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: jeonseh on 03-07-2008

This beer, created in honor of Henry Chinaski, was a collaboration between Three Floyds and Jonathan Cutler of Piece Brewery. Its delicate, spicy, smoked character is derived from a portion of smoked and rye malts. Formerly known as Ham On Rye.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
3.53/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap.

It is a lighter amberish brown.

The smell is smoky, I guess smoked ham isn't too far off.

The flavor is sweet and smoky. Not the best smoke beer I have had but decent. IT is sweet with a brown sugar hint going through it along with a nice smokiness.

A good one.

4.29/5  rDev +11.4%

On tap at the brewpub...review from notes.

A- Pours a brownish cola color. One and a half finger whtie head that shows medium retention. No real lacing on the beer as I drink it down.

S- Big time rye in the front of this. Smokey meaty aroma in the middle of this combines the two aromas and makes my mouth water. This smells like well....ham on rye!

T- Smokey flavors right off the bat. There is a underlying sweetness to this but only in the front half. A light rye becomes the background but pops up for the middle for a second and stays through the ending. This tastes like a ham on rye through and through.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation was a little lacking I thought. Tastes were smokey and left everywhere from the palate and long into the aftertaste. Flavors blended well together and matched up evenly. No real alcohol drying on the palate.

D- This was a couple and done beer. I enjoyed it a lot for the fact that it tasted like it was suppose too. Smoked beers I like but only a couple pints please.

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

Enjoyed from the tap at the Three Floyds brewpub, inside a nonic pint.

Pale amber, perfectly clear. A 1.5-finger head of dense, creamy foam hangs out for a long time and deposits sticky, full walls of lace when it finally recedes.

The nose: rye bread, anise, salt, cocoa powder, brown sugar.

Very subtle salty meatiness in the flavor, blended with a lot of bread. Cocoa, toast, salty bacon, light campfire smoke, hints of caramel. A meaty, smoky brown ale with perfect balance.

Very light carbonation inside the creamy, medium-full body. Some alcohol numbs the tongue before a slightly dry finish.

I’ve enjoyed few beers with names as descriptive as Ham on Rye. It’s just as flavorful and tasty as the sandwich.

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

On tap at Three Floyds on the day before Dark Lord Day. Served in an imperial pint.

This has a nice color. Its a deep, rusty red with browns interspersed. The head is a very light tan and leaves decent lacing.

Indeed, very smokey. It does smell a lot like ham, but at this point I didn't even know what I was in for. The smoke isn't all that roasty. Its more of a cured meat type of smell with a nice rye snappiness to it.

I was taken aback as soon as I tasted it. Its very big on flavors of baked ham. The ham is perceivable throughout the whole taste but really comes out strong on the aftertaste. It really blows my mind. I keep picturing the glazed rind of a baked ham. I'm not entirely sure I like it. Its not totally gross, but it does come close.

Medium bodied and kinda slick. The carbonation is soft and pillowy.

Very interesting. It blows my mind how much like ham this stuff tastes. Well worth a try, just for the experience, but I wouldn't buy copious amounts of this.

3.97/5  rDev +3.1%

Had no clue what to expect with this one.. But... Yeah

Pours a amber brownish with a tint of red hues, no head to spak of but well carbonated. Looks pretty decent.

Smells.. Like ham on rye. Im impressed honestly. It's not off-putting.. Just smells like ham on rye.

Tastes .... Like ham on rye. Im amazed. Smokey, meaty, lots of rye spices. So weird yet good

Such an odd brew but really tasty. I'm shocked and amazed!

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%

Tried this on 26 Apr 2011 at the Brewpub. Served in a nonic pint glass.

Small light brown head. Lightly carbonated. Clear light brown color. Aroma is smoky with just a touch of meatiness. The flavor starts with a lot of smoked bacon. Moderately sweetly smoky. Then more smoky meatiness. Nicely malty sweet underneath the bacon. Just a very light bitterness in the finish. Medium body, moderate alcohol.

Definitely the meatiest tasting smoked beer I have had.

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

On tap at Binny's South Loop.

A: Pours a clear burnt orange with a nice egg-shell head.

S: Meaty smoked malt. Moderate Canadian bacon, a bit of hoppiness.

T: More smoked malt - bacon, sweet smoke, sweet grain, a slight bitter note. Sweet bready malt in the finish.

M: Medium carbonation, medium-bodied.

O: Not bad, but not as interesting as the rauches of the motherland.

3.97/5  rDev +3.1%

first of all, this is a rauchbeer, not a rye beer.

on tap poured into a nonic pint at the brewpub in Munster, Indiana. pours a rich amber color with a half finger of light tan head that is reduced to a soapy rim after a couple minutes, leaving no lacings.

aroma is quite smokey, with a salted and cured quality that resembles ham. a base of bready malt attempts to hold its own next to the smoke, but seems to be losing the battle. a very subtle spiced quality is most likely from the rye, which does the name good justice. a solid rauchbeer in the nose.

taste is smokey, with a meaty quality and a bready malt note that works with the smoke. caramel malts comethrough as the beer warms a bit, with the smoke lessening in intensity as well. this is definitely one to appreciate in time, with complexity and smoothness really coming through as the brew warms and the palate adjusts to the smoke.

mouthfeel is medium bodied with a lightly salty quality and a finish of residual smoke and a bit of caramel malt.

drinkability is great. as rauchbeers go, it is difficult to produce a brew that is this smokey and also provides a malt backbone that works well with the smoke. this accomplishes that to some degree, but it could be better. cheers!

4.52/5  rDev +17.4%

Imbibed at Bavarian Lodge in Lisle, IL 01/26/2011.

Appearance -- Hued like a mahogany desk with a slim cap of creamy beige head. Looks delightful.

Smell -- Meaty! There is a definite ham sandwich aroma that arises from a gentle swirl of the glass. Spicy rye, cocoa, mild ground coffee aroma, ad floral hops round out the nose. Lots going on. Beguiling.

Taste -- Meaty? Only slightly. The ham sandwich character so prominent in the nose is somewhat muted in the flavor - for the best? Assertive rye spiciness, gentle woodsmoke, cocoa, gently roast malt, coffee, floral hops, and a modicum of malt sweetness. Lingering flavor of, yes, ham on rye.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-full body with an abundance of foamy carbonation.

Drinkability -- Coming into this beer, I thought it would be an interesting novelty. However, this turned out to be my favorite rye beer to date. Lots of complexity coming from the grist with spicy rye, woodsmoke, and roast malt. Well balanced, but still keeps one at attention. If you ever have the chance to try this, don't hesitate or you will live to regret your poor decision.

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

Sampled at DLD 08. Appeared in a nice tulip like glass, a nice amber with white head.
Smell is massive rye notes and nice smokey sweetness.
Taste is a knockout rye with a good malt balance and I suppose some hops. This thing really tastes and smells like a ham sandwich. I'm impressed....but....how? I never wanted a ham sandwich so much in my life. Mild carbonation and very smooth. Feels a little thin and mild. Not sure about drinkability just due to the massive rye. One suited me just fine.

4.49/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

It flies in the face of all logic, but I love this beer. I wish it was bottled. I wish FFF would at the very least would make it annually again.

Appearance - The beer was a darker golden color served with a bubbly white head. The barkeep at FFF served the beer in a pilsner glass.

Smell - The rye is the most impressive note, but I am pretty sure I can also actually smell salt. This one smells like it tastes.

Taste - I think the 2014 batch is a little weaker than previous years. The initial impression that comes to the front is the tang of the rye. But then, the smoke and the saltiness (like ham) balance out the rye. The main drawback of the beer is that it finishes a little weak. The aftertaste veers in a sour direction, with the salt losing its flavor.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is pretty straight forward. The carbonation is pretty average and the beer goes down smooth, leaving a nice coat on the tongue.

Overall - I like this one a lot, but even I start getting bored by the end of the glass. I think the beer itself gets bored with me because it loses interest in tasting the same.

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

A- transparent yellow with white lacing
S-smells exactly what a toasted ham sandwich would smell like.
T-exactly like it smells. Ham sandwich. Incredible how they do this. Wow
M-medium bodied and smooth
D-very dinkable. I don't even need food! Job well done

2.8/5  rDev -27.3%

From notes on 3/21/14

On tap at 3 Floyds. Smokey aroma. Very smokey flavors. First beer like this. But not to big of a fan of the smoked malt. Its got a nice bitterness. My girlfriend likes it more than I do. To much like smoke flavors.

3.6/5  rDev -6.5%

Had this on tap at FFF into a nonic pint glass. According to the menu it has 20 IBUs and was brewed in honor of Henry Chinoski and was a collaboration with Johnathon Cutler of Piece Brewery.

A -- a light magohonoy color with stream of golden light and even seems like there is a bit of an orange color haze that also pervades this beer. It was also mildly opaque as only a small amount of light seemed to go through this beer. There was a small white head that sat on top for a few seconds before fading away leaving on a light white head that sat on the sides of the glass.

S - smell is hints of cured meat; mostly ham more than other cured meats and there is also a light smokiness that seems to come forth from this one.There also is a light hint of orange to me that seems a bit out of place and on the whole, don't think this one is all too fragrant.

T - the first taste is a slightly sweet malt that seems to sit on the tongue and give the taste of almost caramel or maple syrup. However, the main taste comes forth which is smoked kielbasa in my opinion. There is a light bit of sweetness that combats some of the smokiness and it almost tastes a bit like a sweet drizzle on the kielbasa. Have to say that the main flavors are truly a kielbasa smokiness especially in the aftertaste as the aftertaste reminds me of the smoked aspect of the meat and even a bit like the greasy, fat aftertaste on gets from eating said kielbasa. Overall, an interesting and unique brew and can definitely saw they reached their goals of making a beer that taste like cured meat.

MF - a nice, thick and full bodied brew that one can definitely tell they are drinking. Almost makes it taste like you are eating a full meal and would say this beer taste and feels like eating a mouthful of kielbasa and sauerkraut. There is a light amount of carbonation and there is also a bit of a greasy coating that is left on the tongue which reminds me of the feeling after eating kielbasa.

D - a beer that would be a perfect replacement for a kielbasa and sauerkraut meal as the smoky meat taste is so prevalent. On the whole I am not too sure as to how I feel about this beer. It is good and interesting and accomplishes its goal but after a while it started to get old and a bit too much for me. The greasy meat aftertaste started to wear on me and really had no desire to have another. On the whole, I would say this is a beer worth trying but not one that I would try again after having the experience once.

4.06/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had on tap at owen and engine. The restaurant has a great old english pub feel, and this beer is very appropriate for that setting. Pours a burnt orange color with a short head that has great retention. Leaves great lacing. Could use a bit of a larger head, but this beer is very good looking. Aroma is mild, but it is very reminiscent of smokey beef jerky and rawhide. Flavor is bacon all the way. Dry smokey bacon rind. Pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. There is a mild fruity quality to the smoke which is pleasant. Mouthfeel is a bit heavy but the carbonation is pretty on point. Very nice smoke beer from FFF.

4.04/5  rDev +4.9%

Had this one at the Columbus Bar in Columbus, Indiana.

A: Golden yellow body, no head at all, no lacing.

S: Wow smells just like a ham on rye. Hardwood smoked ham fried in a pan and placed on fresh marbled rye.

T: And she tastes just like she smells, Smokey rye. Very interesting brew. I think it would go really well with some super hot Gumbo or Jambalaya.

M: I would like more body here, and more carbonation, maybe Ii got an old brew, but good nonetheless.

D: The strangeness grows on you as you drink it. One you should definitely try on.

4.57/5  rDev +18.7%

I really can't think of a better smoked beer. This look is deep golden, clear, with a small head.

Smell and taste are smokey malt of the finest kind. Silky smooth mouthfeel rounds out the experience. The smoke taste does rival a good ham, and the backbone of rye gives it a perfect offsetting spiciness that lingers. It does have a sweetness that seems like dark brown sugar, but that only gives a note that you want more, not cloying but not dry in any sense.

I have seen this on draft only twice, would put it in my top 10 of all time and wish it was around more. My score is higher than most since smoke beers are among my favorites, not for all, but if you like the style this is the bomb.

1.98/5  rDev -48.6%

On-tap at Revolution.

Pours a clear amber with a small off-white head that lingers around the edge.

Aroma of smokey campfire mixed with medicinal cherry throat lozenges. Not good.

Upfront taste is light smokey malts with a slightly sweet fruitiness. Malty middle with some caramel sweetness and piney hops. The finish is a unique combination of pine, smoke, and citrus. Lingering smokey flavor.

Medium body with moderate carbonation. Clean finish.

Not a fan of this at all. Really hard to drink, even for a smoked beer. The aroma of cough syrup throws the taste off before it even hits the tongue. Comes across as a malty IPA gone awry with smoked malt. Disappointing.

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

A- dark copper color, off white head sticks around for the duration of the beer.
S- Aroma is sweet malts, some smoke, and minimal hops.
T- Really sweet flavor, somewhat smokey but not even close to the band aid flavor I have had in some smoked beers. And like the name implies, there is a very sweet maple glazed ham flavor that lingers through the aftertaste. Very unique.
M- Medium carbonation and a heavy sticky body.
D- Overall this one lives up to its name, but I could not drink more then one of these due to its sweetness. A very unique beer that I am glad I got to try.

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

A pint served on tap at Bavarian Lodge in Lisle IL

It pours a clear brown color that is just a shade lighter than cola. A two inch head dies down within the first minute to just a small ring of bubbles.

The nose is very heavy on the smoked malt. It's quite nice and underneath that I can detect just a little rye.

The taste is smoky with lots of caramelized sugars. Fairly reminiscent of a nice honey glazed smoked ham without the ham flavor; if that makes sense. I can get just a little rye on the end and if the rye taste would have been more prevalent I think they would have pulled off perfectly what their goal was.

It was served too cold for my liking (more of an establishment critique). The high amounts of smoked malt were a somewhat too harsh on my mouth but still pretty drinkable despite the smoke. I was very excited when I saw this on the tap list and am glad to say it was a very interesting and enjoyable beer. It's making me appreciate and seek out some more smoke beers since their flavor profiles are always a unique one.

4.35/5  rDev +13%

I went to 3 Foyds lastnight with a buddy and this was the first beer we drank of the night. I have heard good things about this beer and they are all true. It really smells like and tatse like ham on rye! It has a bacon after tatse that I thought was great! Who doesnt like bacon? Overall very good beer and I hope its still on tap next time I visit 3 Floyds!

It was served in a pint glass. Appearance was a medium color of brown with a small head that faded away quickly. Smell was great. Taste was good!

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

I HATE to give FFF a review like this but here goes. I did not like this brew. I only had a couple sips because I wouldnt have been able to drink anymore than that. Its seriously like a piece of salt ham. I'm sure thats what they were aiming for but its a very wierd taste! Unless you have food you cant drink it IMHO.

1.94/5  rDev -49.6%

Haha, this beer is hilarious. It tastes exactly like a ham sandwich. There is absolutely nothing else to say about it. It tastes like a salty ham sandwich.

I have no idea how they did it, but it's spot on. Unfortunately, even though they nailed the taste, ham sandwich isn't a very good beer flavor.

I definitely give FFF points for originality and successfully doing what they were trying to do, but other than that, this is not an enjoyable beer.

No big deal, though, these guys have earned the right to experiment. Still the best brewery in the world, in my opinion.

3.79/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Darker gold in color and nice white head that shows medium retention.

S: Big time rye in the front of this. Smokey aroma later on, pretty nice.

T: Rye up front with some smokiness up front. There is a underlying sweetness to this but only in the front half. Very much reminiscent of a ham on rye.

M: Medium mouthfeel. Tastes were smokey and left everywhere from the palate and long into the aftertaste. Nice dry rye to it.

O: A nice change of pace, not something I would crave however.

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a clear and visibly highly carbonated brown color with a thin and creamy tan head. The aroma is vague but gives off hints of sweet malty grain. The taste is also sweet and a touch of grain with a subtle background of smoke. The body is medium and very drinkable but the brew is slightly tart from beginning to end. The finish is slow and sees an slight increase in tartness and smokiness, and both of which linger after the end.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Hank On Rye from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.