Hank On Rye - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Hank On Rye
No picture.

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Smoked Beer |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: jeonseh on 03-07-2008

This beer, created in honor of Henry Chinaski, was a collaboration between Three Floyds and Jonathan Cutler of Piece Brewery. Its delicate, spicy, smoked character is derived from a portion of smoked and rye malts. Formerly known as Ham On Rye.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
4.24/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On tap at Three Floyds Brewpub. Served up in a Nonic pint glass.

First off, I'm biased towards smoked beers. It's one of my favorite styles. Just know that going in.

Smell, smokey sweet malt, bit of apple juice, and small and delicate hop aroma.

Taste, Wow, and Holy crap on a stick. Heavy peat and smoke flavors abound. A little bit of sweetness comes through, but then a mild hop bitterness crushes it into submission. A low hop profile really lets the rye and smoke flavors dominate, with is perfect for the style.

Overall, simply delicious. This has now replaced Black Sun Stout as my favorite Three Floyds beer. Please, for the love of God, start bottling this. I'll figure out how to get it into PA after that. (721 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +9.7%

Served in Imperial Pint glass from the pub...

A- Pours a deep orange copper color with about an inch of light tan head that settles and leave minimal lacing.

S- Haha... wtf?! This smells just like a honey baked ham. There is a lot of sweet caramel and honey with a nice smoke to back it up. Craziness...

T/M- WTF?!?! This tastes just like a honey baked ham! I just don't get it. There is a spice component from the rye that took over as the beer warmed up a bit, but it was predominately a very sweet beer with some nice smokey undertones to balance. Great medium body with low carbonation that really sits on the tongue and makes you think you are drinking your dinner.

O- Wow... This beer is out of this world. The only downfall of this beer is that a full 16oz is a bit much. At first this was my dads favorite beer of the night, he couldn't believe it- so I traded him for his Gumballhead. I noticed after awhile he wasn't drinking it much anymore. I asked what was up and he said he loves it, but it was just too much. So we traded back and then it was hard for me to finish! Anyway, its a great beer, but a sipper and something to enjoy in small quantities. I really appreciate what FFF did here and the score is fairly high because it is one of the best specialty beers I have ever had and think it truly is masterfully crafted to taste how it does. (1,360 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

Had this on-tap at Poor Phil's in Oak Park. Served in a 20 oz tumbler.

Poured a brownish-gold, with a two inch head that stuck around. Decent lacing throughout.

Smell is somewhat bready and spicy, with a strong but not overwhelming presence of smoke. Actually smells quite similar to ham and less like smoke.

Taste is spot on for a ham and rye sandwich. I'm not sure how they did it, but it tastes exactly like the name. There is a nice smokey/honey flavor from the malt that tastes like ham, and a spicy contributor from the rye malt. Eminently quaffable, and the taste does not linger too much in the finish.

Mouthfeel is full, creamy, and has a slight slickness to it. Medium carbonation.

Overall a very drinkable beer. I would definitely come back to this beer again. Everything is balanced and seems to fit well together. (832 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -1.8%

Had this on tap, poured into pint glass. Amber body with with minimal light tan head. Smells smokey, like smoked cheese with some spicy mustard. Taste follows the nose. Smokey, bready malt and spice. This brew is aptly named. Medium body with moderate carbonation and a smoky finish. I had to try this for the name alone. I was pleasantly surprised. I could not drink a bunch of these, but would get one again and I think my appreciation would grow from increased exposure to this style. (487 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +23.8%

This was one of the best beers in my opinion that Three Floyds had on tap. I guess they didn't think it was good enough as they no longer brew it and currently have no plans to do so again.
Great dark amber color, one of the best smelling beers ever! It obviously smells very smoky, definitely like smoked meat. Great malt, leaves you feeling kinda thirsty. You definitely need a glass of water after this. Has a very thin head, leaves good lacing on the side of the glass. I would pay good money to see this on tap again at FFF. They really had to cut back on some excellent brews once the economy tanked. I feel their pain, but damn they need to brew this one again! (668 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +5.4%

What can I say about the Ham on Rye?? Wow. We all thought we smelled smoked ham when sniffing the glass. There was incredible balance in the complexity - a smokiness that didn't overpower the maltiness and spiciness of the beer. The mouthfeel was medium-bodied and the carbonation was light.

This needs to be bottled and released as a seasonal beer. It's perfect for that weekend afternoon in the fall when you want to grill a big fat reuben sandwich for a football game. (473 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -5.4%

A: Amber with a cream colored head.

S: The aroma is definately that of a ham on rye. Very smokey with almost a salty flavor as well.

T: Smoked rye really jumps at you with a very meaty/hammy aftertaste.

M: Medium to heavy in body, yet fairly smooth.

D: Not a session beer. One or two at the absolute most.

A must try beer at least once if you're ever visiting FFF. (372 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this beer at the Three Floyds Pub in Munster.

This beer is a shock to the senses. The weak need not apply. VERY strong taste that will wake up those dormant taste buds!

the aroma was strong, but not overpowering. I could detect a hint of sweet apple juice in the nose, but that was soon dominated by the smokiness that ensued.

The taste was ORIGINAL. I have never had a beer like it. It indeed tastes like a Ham on Rye, as the name implies. Smokey, spicy, with a nice hoppy presence that made me want to continue to drink it. I had it with the Reuben and what a match it was!

This beer is one you have to talk about. You know, that beer you get your friends to try. You either love it or you hate. I LOVED it. Going to have to get a growler to take back to "experiment" with some beer buddies. (803 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

Served on tap into a pint glass in Arlington Heights, il. Tuscan Wine Shop does it again.
Light amberish look, not too dark.
Not much head and a little lacing to speak of.
Smells smoky, as it should! And honestly without the name being known, ham on rye is a comparison I would give it based on smell alone.
Tastes smooth! Which wasn't expected.
Beat smoked beer I've ever had, bar none....
Yum!!! Would have again! And again! (430 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

Had some at the FFF brewpub. Great smoky flavor, detected some meaty flavors of bacon. Looks and smells great.

A: Clear Dark Brown, small white head

S: Meaty, Smokey

T: Somewhat dry and smokey, Bacon

M:Great beer to drink slowly and enjoy the complex rye and smokey flavors.

D:Had another after my first glass and could have easily had more if not pressed for time. (370 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Hank On Rye from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.