Blackheart - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  8.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

A throwback historical ale brewed when English IPA's were hopped up to last the long voyage from England to Colonial troops in India, using English malts, English hops, English yeast and aged slightly on toasted oak for a 19th century taste.

(Beer added by: philberinghele on 03-21-2008)
4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

I drank this from a the bottle into a chalice.

The pour and appearance are pretty disappointing. It pours a dark orange, that is clear with a finger white head that disappears fast. Minimal lacing. Just not a very pretty ipa.

Smells very citrusy, orange dominates but has a nice finish with hops coming in after the first big smell.

The taste is nice and smooth very orangy that lasts even through the finish. The bitter end is very sharp but quick, finishes fast.

I actually prefer this to dreadnaught, but not one of the top IPA's I've head.

3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

Nice golden amber, scent of floral. Goes down easy, with a caramel-like hint and a pronounced hoppy bitterness. Smooth and tasty, and totally representative of a good, solid IPA. Not a groundbreaking or unique brew, but certainly solid and enjoyable.

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%

Received in a trade with paco1029384756- thanks Frank! Bomber served into a pint glass, cellar temp.

Appearance is excellent- a clear, coppery liquid with a fine 2 finger head which stays around for a bit. Smells caramelly and sweet. Taste is a bit sweet, and I was surprised at the subtle taste of the hops in this English IPA. They're in the background- a bit bitter, but not overwhelming. Taste and mouthfeel are almost barleywine-ish. A little lighter, but the Malt taste is up front. Very dry, the beer leaves almost zero aftertaste. It's there and then gone. I would say drinkability is not that high, but I just realized this beer is going down faster than I thought.

4.43/5  rDev +9.9%

Served from a 22oz. bomber with some wicked artwork in my SABL glass at between cellar and fridge temp.

A - Orange-amber in color with a visible viscosity in the pour and a soap-bubbly off-white head that didn't rise too high, but had quite good staying power. Lacing is erratic but quite visible.

S - Honey butter and orange marmalade sweetness above a toasted bready malt profile. Very interesting!

T - Sweet and enticing up front, with a fruity juiciness that reminds me first of grilled peaches, and then of overripe apricots. Also get an interesting taste of mild melba toast. Warming alcohol and tartness comes in the middle, followed by a very pleasant and quite green hop bitterness that replaces any lingering sweetness with an engaging dryness. Aftertaste is toasty, but not as biscuity as I was hoping for. Overall, a very well rounded taste profile.

M - Thick and powerful entering the mouth. Velvety smooth and fluffy. Swallow is like liquid Jello in consistency. Fantastic -- reminds me of the awesome mouthfeel of Dogfish Head 90 Minute.

D - This is one seriously yummy EIPA that (thankfully) doesn't contain the signature overabundance of Amarillo hops (or any, for that matter). It's a really good recipe, and the toasted oak aging really adds a nice hit of extra flavor to help brace against the 9% ABV. One of FFF's better "rare" offerings.

3.93/5  rDev -2.5%

Acquired via trade...thanks Josh! 22 ounce bottle poured into a imperial pint glass. No bottling info or abv info is given.

A-Pours a semi-clear orangish amber that really glows in the light. Has a one finger off white head that thins out but retains a decent layer. Bubbles continually rise from the bottom of the glass. Lots of lace is left.

S-The nose never really pops enough for me. Citrus notes come out, as well as some earthy/grassy notes. Caramel malt is definitely noticeable.

T-The citrus hops are more present than in the nose. The caramel malt comes on very fast. Thw oak used to age the beer is definitely apparent on the finish. As it warms I pick up on some spicy earthy hops that can be attributed to the English hops used. The oak aftertaste gets bigger as this one warms. I found that all of the various flavors really came together after it had sat in the glass for 30 minutes.

M-Thicker bodied with crisp carbonation. It is smooth and creamy.

D-It is a big beer with a lot of complexity. I wouldn't go with more than one 22 ounce bottle in a session.

A pretty good beer overall. I know they used all English hops, yeast, and malts, but to me it was a cross between a citrusy American IPA and a spicy/earthy English IPA. The oak added a unique flavor that worked. Next time I would let the bottle sit out longer before cracking.

3.9/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured into a pint glass, this is a pretty dark peach color with a low but dense head on it. The nose is sweet and fruity, and while it has plenty of hops, it's certainly no hop bomb. They're lightly floral, and accent the malt rather than overwhelm it. There's lot of malt to taste... bitterness and hop flavor are present in big amounts, but the heavy maltiness is the major flavor. Viscous fruitiness as well. Lingering malt at the close. The body is heavy, so I guess they didn't cut it with any adjuncts.

Interesting enough, but not a beer I'd care to get again, given the hefty price tag.

3.08/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Received in a trade for some Hopslam; thanks, Drew! Poured into a pint glass, this beer had a nice golden body with a thin white head. Aroma is of hops, sugar and vanilla. Full bodied creamy and syrupy mouthfeel. This beer is mostly sweet and overly oaky with an almost cloying finish that has very little hop bitterness. I appreciate the brewer's intent with the oak and low bitterness to make this taste more authentic as if the barrel had sailed for months, however it just wasn't my cup of tea. I don't think I'll be having this one again soon.

4.28/5  rDev +6.2%

This is the third time I've had a chance to sit down and enjoy this beer. I've needed to try it a few times to give it an accurate rating because of the complexity of the flavors found in this tasty English IPA. The first time I tried it I was a little overwhelmed by the flavors I was experiencing and could not identify them. One of the unique flavors that I detect in this beer is an after taste of English Toffee. The mouth feel is smooth and creamy. It's not too carbonated, so I can get a better sense of the various flavors. As with many Three Floyds, this is a great beer, but I can only drink one or two glasses before I get overwhelmed by the flavor.

3.73/5  rDev -7.4%

Ordered from Archer Liquors. Hazy burnt orange color with bright white centimeter head This definitely isn't an American-style IPA, as I still have feeling in my tongue. Hops are more floral in character and there's a crapload of malt and sugar to back them up. A bit buttery. You can definitely taste the oak in this one. Mouthfeel is pretty thick, a little syrupy and sticky, and carbonation is medium. Overall I like this a lot. Very interesting departure typical American styles.

4.28/5  rDev +6.2%

22 oz. bomber from Archer Liquors - part of my first order from them, and this is the first one of the goodies I'm cracking. A longtime want from a favorite brewery of mine! Poured into a 22 oz. brandy snifter.

Appearance: Pours a clear, attractively-hued beer, a bright orange reddish sunset amber brew, a little darker than I imagine most English IPAs are, but no matter. The head doesn't have much staying power - the one finger of light tan or (perhaps more accurately described as) off-white head fades relatively quickly, but does leave behind a persistent sheen atop the surface, a thick, soapy collar, and a great deal of stringy, leggy lacing, the effects of which are magnified after each sip - a good sign of hop content. Carbonation is of an average size and average speed, though it's rather infrequent. All in all, a good start.

Aroma: Earthy, herbal hop overtones mingle on about equal ground with apricots, oranges, and peaches, along with a faint, singeing tickle. Is it the alpha acids, or the alcohol? I'm gonna go with the former, because (having tasted this one), the alcohol seems to be so well-integrated, so well-hidden, that it doesn't really factor in to the proceedings at all. It's really impressive, actually. The underlying malt base is authentically English, biscuity, graham cracker-esque in its spiciness.

Taste: Quite tasty. Obvious East Kent Goldings are prominent and large up front - very English, very appropriate, and in this case, very nice. A spicy, earthy, herbal presence is about half of the the dominant hop presence in this one - it's faintly minty, but also faintly reminiscent of juniper. The remaining half, however, is decidedly American, if not in the actual hop usage than certainly in the presentation - heavy citrus, orange zest, peaches, and white grapefruit - the combination of which with the more traditionally-English notes (at least, as I perceive them) provides a fantastic juxtaposition, well-rounded and mutually enhancing. The backing malt bill is moderately roasted, biscuity, and moderately attenuated, the effects of which are magnified by a mineral aspect inherent in the water and the moderate to high level of piney bitterness attributable to the hops. Though I can appreciate what seems like it might be oaky, earthy, wooden notes if I concentrate significantly,

Mouthfeel: Crisp carbonation in a moderately thick body makes for a nice enhancement of the moderate bitterness and the spicy, juniper berry-esque hop notes. It's thick, but not nearly as sticky as it might be, on account of the relative high-attenuation of the malt bill ... or maybe it only seems that way? It events out a little as things warm and the body thickens.

Drinkability: What a great brew. It's essentially an English DIPA, a (faux-)style I've never had occasion or the opportunity to try before. I'll be damned if it feels or seems like a Double/Imperial anything, however - the alcohol on this one, though formidable on paper, is nowhere to be seen or felt. As many have mentioned, yes, the bottle artwork is grotesque, but it's in no way indicative of the contents. What's within is a well-crafted, unique, drinkable, and enjoyable brew from a great brewery. Perhaps a little tough on the wallet at $9 or $10, but I could see this as an occasional special treat, or paired with some spicy, braised meat or Mexican food of some sort. Color me impressed.

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

Received a bottle in a trade with Beersis81. It poured a transparent orange with a one finger head into a perfect pint glass. The head retention was not great.

Very clean smelling. vanilla, oak, caramel, orange citrus.

Malty and oak up front than transition into a strong,but pleasant bitter finish. A slight hint of chocolate is present as well. It's nice to have and English IPA as it easy to focus on American varieties.

The mouthfeel is great as all the flavors stand out on there own while also balancing each other out. One sip tickles multiple tastebud on my tongue which is great. There is not prevalent booziness to this treat.

Overall, this is my first beer ever from three floyds and I have enjoyed it greatly. I look forward to trying more in the future.

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a very nice dark copper with sweet head and nice lacing. Huge hop scent, slightly overwhelming at first; extremely floral with a vit of jerky in the nose. Huge hop flavor, too; like a tangerine jerky stick; very hoppy (EK Golding I think are the primary), needs more malt to it, but wonderful if you like hop bombs. Goes down quite smooth for a 9% brew.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

22oz bottle with no freshness information poured into my sierra nevada hop tulip glass.

A- this one pours out a clear copper colored body with a long lasting bright white head. the head leaves small rings of sticky lacing on the sides of my glass after every sip.

S- small amount of caramel malts upfront, and a big blast of floral, citrus, and pine hops. a small amount of odor from the wood.

T- the oak aging comes through a lot stronger in the taste than in the smell. it leaves kind of a medicinal taste in my mouth. caramel malts upfront, and a lot of hops at the end. floral, citrus, and pine. just like in the smell. no trace of the alcohol. nice and bitter. the oaking isnt overpowering like in some barrel aged DIPAs.

M- medium bodied and very smooth. moderate level of carbonation.

D- easy to finish, like any three floyds IPA. i like this one as a seasonal. that way i know i can get it when its fresh, and i wont have the temptation to pay 12$ for a bottle of this that often. overpriced, but a good beer none the less. the most enjoyable barrel aged IPA ive had.

3.9/5  rDev -3.2%

Hazy copper color with a light white head. Little lacing is left behind.

The first smell I pick up is the oak which for a brief second reminded me of whiskey with a vanilla scent. That's followed by classic English bittering hops and sweet caramel scent.

This is a full-flavored brew and the bittering hops blend well with a bready malt backbone. The wood flavor is a little much for me, but does keep it interesting.

Medium bodied mouthfeel with a buttery texture. The finish is very dry and pleasant.

I started off strong on this bomber, but by the end of it I was getting a little sick of the wood taste, it was a little too much like licking furniture. Overall, a good brew though.

4.03/5  rDev 0%

If Samuel Smith were to brew a DIPA, they could do worse than replicate this FFF effort. A slightly cloudy, coppery pint topped by a thin white head leads to a full-bodied brew perfectly balanced by a substantial hop presence in the back of the throat and the depths of the nostrils. The English hops lend a more subdued quality to this style than the left coast big-C hops typical of DIPAs. A nice dry oak flavor backs up the hops like Entwistle did for Townsend, keeping this extreme brew tamed and the taste buds clamoring for more.

3.9/5  rDev -3.2%

Received a bomber as an extra through a trade with abbddull, thanks andy!!

Poured a nice copper color with a 1 finger head. Smelled of citrus hops, oak and a hint of vanilla. Very smooth on the tongue, I think it must be the oak. I find most oak aged beers to feel this way. Hops were present in the taste but I think the oak pretty much took over. No hint of 9% alcohol whatsoever. I easily put the bomber down at dinner. I liked this beer but I would have preferred more hops and less oak taste. I thought it was good but as the beer warmed the oak was too prevalent. I love FFF beers and I was happy to try this. Dreadnaught and alpha king are 2 of my all time favorites.

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

I have just been a 3 floyds IPA drinkin machine , I had dreadnaught the other day , and apocolypse cow the other night , they're good though plus the artwork is cool

app-4.0 It's an amber color a little hazy nice white foam head that sticks about 1.5 inches high for a minute or few.

smell-4.0 This smells sweet with a little bit of a citrus kick; not as overwhelming as other fff IPA's I smell a strong roasted malt or something , o joy!

taste-4.5 Complex , I taste a quick citrus hit at the beginning then it goes to the taste of toasted oak a little bit of a hoppy finish , very desirable though, not too powerful on the finishing hops.

mouthfeel-4.0 A little more than medium nice feel to let sit.

drinkability-4.0 I could probaly drink 2 or 3 bombers to myself without any problem , thats good

not a must try, but a great brew none the less
if your from nw indiana or southside of chicago , there is no reason not to pick up some of the 3 floyds IPA's, Brilliant!

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

ratpack, thanks for the brew buddy!

A - slightly cloudy bronze colored beer on our hands here...w/ a thin foam-like head, not bad

S - very fruity at first whiff(apricot, peaches apples) light floral and citrus hops. rich caramel malts and some alcohol, smells very inviting

T - very rich and buttery taste and slightly fruity, but backed by a biting bitter Brit. hop. the alcohol definately pokes it's head out and adds some warmth on the way down. incredible balance and sweetness for what is essentially a DIPA. Love the English ingredients in this one, but i am glad the good 'ol American's turned up the hop factor resulting in what could be one of the best faux English ales i've encountered.

MF - massive body, light to medium carbonation but still goes down with relative ease despite higher abv.

D - 22 oz. wasn't quite enough for me, i could probably do another 22, but then it is time to move on. give this one a try if you have the chance!

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

22oz bottle from the Archer Liquors, in Chicago.

A- Pours a beautiful dark orange/copper. The fluffy white head drops back down but stays and sticks to my glass. Slight carbonation visable, hazy.
S- There's a certain malty sweetness to the smell, and some faint piney hops in the background.
T - Ok, so I've had this beer fresh, and it was delicious. This bottle has been aged, and it still holds up well. The hops have faded some, but the malt backbone isn't overpowering. Still tastes really balanced.
M- A little dry, prickly, but overall pretty smooth and medium bodied. Not a lot of carbonation.
D- For a high ABV beer, the alcohol is well hidden. Combined with the malt/hop balance makes for a drinkable beer.

Overall, a balanced, drinkable English IPA. FFF is known for hopping the bejesus out of their beers (and I don't complain), but both fresh and aged this beer was balanced and well done. I'll take more.

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%

From bottle into tulip glass. Pours a clear light copper with two fingers of head that slowly fade, stubbornly clinging to the sides of the glass. The smell presents mostly malt characteristics (warm caramel/creme brulee) with a pleasant whiff of grapefruit underneath and a touch of oak and vanilla. The mouthfeel is rich, medium-bodied, with enough carbonation to keep all flavors working at the same time. Sweet toffee takes the lead with some grapefruit tartness. The finish is a wonderful mix of bitter hops and light alcohol rounded out by the subtle oak characteristics of smoke and vanilla. This beer truly displays balance. No single flavor dominates and no IBU records are broken. Instead, this beer provides a complex balance of elements that seemlessly meld in every way (mouthfeel/smell/taste). If at all possible, this should be in your fridge right now.

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

I had this one on-tap at the Three Floyds brewpub on 6/5/2009.

A= This ale poured a clear copper color, with a 1/2" cream colored head and moderate carbonation release. The head settled to a skim and left sheets of lacing down the glass.

S= Aromas of sweet caramel malts and a super frech and fruity English hop note. Some faint oak wood scent mingled in there too. Very little alcohol detectable in the smell.

T= Biscuit and caramelly malt sweetness up front followed by some nice and fresh English hop resins. The wood kicked in with a dry oakiness, some vanilla, and a spiciness that meshed perfectly with the hops. The finish was dry and full of a great malt/hop balance.

MF= Medium bodied with a moderate carbonation level and fairly crisp feel.

D= This is how I have always imagined the IPAs back in the day would taste after making the long sea voyage from England to India. Very good balance of flavors, with the oak complimenting the hops very nicely. The ABV stays dangerously well hidden. A most outstanding ale that I will seek out again for sure.

Picked up a bottle from the new batch at Binny's LV. Served in my Surly pint glass.

A - One finger of late-rising off-white foam that settles to a nice cap and lingers for a while, with some sticky lacing coating the sides of the glass. Slightly hazed apricot color with lots of suspended solids and the occasional bubble lazily floating upwards. I would have liked a little more head volume, but otherwise pretty attractive.

S - Lots of candied citrus hoppiness with plenty of orange and tropical hints. Well balanced with caramel and bready malts, as well as some mild nuttiness. There's also a moderate amount of oakiness that seems to come out more as the brew warms. The elements seem pretty harmonious, although I can see it getting out of balance as it ages (a significant problem, seeing as there are still bottles from last year out there). Still, a fresh bottle smells terrific.

T - The flavor has a lot more of the oak and vanilla flavors imparted from the wood chips. These flavors seem to slap around both the citrus hoppiness and the honey and caramel malts a little bit. The aftertaste is very woody and only features a hint of hop bitterness. Apparently the '09 batch is far more oaky than usual, but I have no baseline of comparison not having had the '08 version - my biggest point of comparison is OA Arrogant Bastard, and this is significantly oakier. Somewhat unbalanced, and unlikely to improve as the hops fade over time.

M - Carbonation is moderate, only a slight carbonation tingle which actually complements the oak flavors. Medium viscosity and nice residual stickiness. It's not the smoothest brew, which is a little disappointing for an "English" IPA (I have visions of cask beer).

D - The oak is very fatiguing. I'm looking at the half-full bomber and wondering what I've gotten myself into. It's delicious enough to finish, but the high ABV and oakiness make this something to avoid for sessions.

I think Three Floyds needs to moderate the oak presence in this as well as their barrel-aged beers. If anything, they become less complex, harsher, and less drinkable (see OA Dark Lord and OA Behemoth). So much of the depth of flavor is just obliterated. I know the Floyds are all about extremes, but perhaps tasteful restraint is becoming the new counter-culture.

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

Thanks goes to Finman for this little lovely.

Poured from a bomber into a pub glass. An inch of white foamy head forms off the pour, receeding to a colar and plenty of sticky retention. The color is a gorgeous super hazy almost murkey pale golden copper.
Awsome visuals on this, I dislike the transparent filtered look of most ipa's.
Bottle art is interesting, I dont quite get it, but its definatly tatoo worthy.

Aroma of buttery buscuits and alot of sweet malty aroma. Honey, and rind like in hops with a hay like touch.

The taste on this is sweet and malt dominant upfront, but like Barb Marley said ''dont let that fool ya''.
Orange peel comes through the taste midway and things begin to dry out. Resulting in a big dry hop pucking bitter explosion through the swallow. Alot of great grain taste here with just a touch of roasty character. Its sweetness makes this exceptionally drinkeable and really helps mask the abv. It would be easy to get wasted on this one, lovley sweet delicious nectar.
Still remaining sweet until this point at the swallow. But hops come out blasting here, dry pine and alot of wonderful citric notes of orange peels and a touch of grapefruit.
Lingering dry and buttery.

Slickness across the tounge with a hop oil like texture on the brew. Its a little sticky as well with a chewy thick mouthfeel and a creamy testured provided by carbonation. Not much sting, just mellow smooth carbonation.

Terrific brew! Looks great and tastes delicious.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

TPatuto and I split a bottle of this and loved it. It poured a great looking straw color with a small head that quickly turned into a light haze on top. The smell was the only lacking part of this beer to me, just didn't get alot out of it. Taste was great! A touch of bitterness and then the oak took over. Sweet vanilla with a little bite like a whisky. Went down smooth and was REALLY easy to enjoy. Would buy this again in a heartbeat!

4.53/5  rDev +12.4%

A - Nice copper color. Short head, about a half inch. Gone pretty fast. Light filminess from the head after it was gone.

S - Light malty sweetness and vanilla. Oakiness is present, but not pervasive or offensive. Light hops background, pleasant for an english IPA

T - Good Malty Sweetness. Light Vanilla notes, light bittering hops. A small bit of spicy sweetness comes through. Can't put my finger on what, but give it another dimension.

M - Medium body. Sweetness and light spice linger, along with a small (albeit very small) amount of hoppiness.

D - VERY drinkable. very enjoyable. Good Balance and pleasant throughout.

Blackheart from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub