Blackheart - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

BlackheartBlackheart

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  8.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: philberinghele on 03-21-2008

A throwback historical ale brewed when English IPA's were hopped up to last the long voyage from England to Colonial troops in India, using English malts, English hops, English yeast and aged slightly on toasted oak for a 19th century taste.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,222 | Reviews: 354
3.83/5  rDev -4.7%

Shared this one with eliottJW- many thanks as per usual my friend. Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A deep translucent yellow pour. The carbonation wasn't excessive and two fingers of head quickly recede to some substantive lacing.

Interesting nose on this brew. Sweet malty odors are dominant. Mixing with some interesting hoppy notes the malt odor almost smells fruity. I have to say I just don't get any oak on the nose, though I am looking for it.

THICK mouthfeel! The brew has a heavy syrupy texture and the resinous hop oils just sticks with you after each sip. Ultimately the oils become the beer's dominant feature as each sip is cumulative.

I feel the only thing English about this beer is the ingredients. This beast of a beer wouldn't fly in a pub as it is a little muscular for real cask ale sensibilities. At first it drinks like a heavy old ale, but eventually the cumulative hop oils make for an incredibly bitter piney drinking experience. The oak character of this beer did make a small appearance but was quickly drowned out by the excessive bittering and alcohol bite.

I'd be hard pressed to drink more than one of these bad boys, though as a stand alone drink, it is certainly one of the more interesting brews I've had to date.

4.12/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a dark gold/bronze with a nice white head and some lacing as it goes down. The hops and the oak completely dominate the nose, in a good way. The taste is a little bit of a disappointment after the nose, with the hops and the oak not blending quite enough--in fact, even though this is an IPA, I'm almost tempted to commit the cardinal sin and age this one for a while to see what develops. The mouthfeel is thick for the style but well within range. Drinkability is somewhat hampered by what I feel might be a little too much oak for what it is right now.

4.1/5  rDev +2%

Poured from 22oz brown bomber into a Duvel tulip glass. No freshness date.

A: Bright apricot hue with 1-2 finger off-white sticky head with good retention and loads of lace.

S: Fresh light-colored fruit like peach, pear, and apricot with malt/grain accents and an earthy edge combine with floral, spicy hops to give a very woody aroma overall

T: Full-flavored but much sweeter than I was expecting. Extremely sugary and fruity in the early going with appricot, peach, and orange matched with floral and lightly spiced hops. Very robust, but I wish the malts had a little more toastiness. The oak is not very apparent to me. As the beer warms, the bright fruity flavors tone down and the woodiness factor increases. Alcohol is minimal -- but maybe the fruitiness isn't all malt?

M: Full-bodied and smooth as hell with low carbonation and a sticky sweet and lightly boozy aftertaste with a lot of floral hops too.

D: A really good FFF offering that could use a little more malt depth to be a masterpiece. It is still a unique beer with it's floral and citrus tinged fruity sweetness.

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%

22oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass. No bottled date.

(A)- Pours a cloudy orange color that produced a very thick off-white to light yellow head that is leaving bits of sticky webbing all over the inside of the glass.

(S)- Potent caramelized pineapple with a creamy woody pine lemon pie accent.

(T)- Very very dry with pineapple and grapefruit with a very massive bitter woody pine combined with an equally ridiculous sweet malts of brown sugar.

(M)- Very smooth and creamy despite its massive hop profile. Great carbonation level. Rather strong in the sweet caramelized malt category (makes it feel more like an old ale), but its still great.

(D)- A very unique yet interesting IPA that is rather sweet. It surprised me with its over the top malting which makes it more like an Old Ale, but why follow the rules? Great stuff!

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured a cloudy orange with a two finger head that faded to a collar. The aroma was citrus, not a surprise from the boys at FFF. The taste was hoppy orange and bitter at the start and finish, with malty sweet in the middle. The feel was medium bodied and oily, with sufficient carbonation. Drinkability was good. If memory serves me, Blackheart reminded me of FFF's barleywine.

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle.

Pours a very nice slightly hazy orange copper hue. Very frothy head that leaves a nice lacing on the glass. Head decreases over time but leaves a nice ring. I can taste hints of pineapple, malty, slightly hoppy but not overdone. Fruity prunish pineapple smells. This is a very drinkable beer, makes me wish I had a case for the big game tommorrow.

3.09/5  rDev -23.1%

An English IPA at 9% ABV? Alrighty then. The pour results in a orange, slightly hazy fluid with two fingers of white head. The head has good retention before settling to a thick cap. Heavy spotty lacing is left on the glass. The claim is all English ingredients. Three Floyds must of used the English ingredients I do not like. Where are the floral and herbal hops I adore? Instead we get sickly sweet aroma and taste that is overly sweet and citric. Tangerine, pineapple, sweet malt, honey, all via for attention from the senses. Has alcohol warming in the finish. The aging on oak does add some interesting components if you can get by the sweetness. Adds a slight wood and vanilla flavor. The body is medium with a slick, oily texture. More like a barley wine than a pale ale. I did not enjoy this beer. I love English style ales but this is went into a direction I did not like.

3.7/5  rDev -8%

Big thanks to Big Earl for providing me the opportunity to try this beer. Thanks Dan!

Nice creamy 2+ finger head that is slightly off white. Orange/Amber color with nice clarity and quite a bit of visible carbonation rushing to the surface. A few strands of lacing sticking to the glass.

Ripe Pineapple, Sweet Malt with toasted notes. As it warms you get some nutty aroma as well.

Lots of toasted malt notes out of the shoot. There are definitely the notes of oak here. Fruity sweet in the middle and then some alcohol. I get a sense of coconut and other notes here. Hazelnut? Dull hop bitterness towards the end and lingering with the sweet nutty flavors. The toasted oak does add a lot of depth here.

Medium body with lighter carbonation than the visual lets on.

Nicely drinkable. I find this nice for an Oaked IPA. I've always preferred the freshness of America IPA's vs the toasted more muted nature of English IPA's

3.7/5  rDev -8%

Sampled from a 22oz bottled purchased in Chicago by OnTheRoad.

Looks good with a copper color, great clarity and very little head. The aroma is a complex mix of oak, alcohol, toasted malt and nuts. The flavor is quite intense with oak and alcohol in the lead giving it a bourbon like quality. There's a solid malt contribution (but to me it's overshadowed by the oak and alcohol) and a mild bitterness. After having had a few heavily oaked IPAs, I'm not so sure I like the combination. The mouthfeel is smooth and low in carbonation. This, to me, was the beer's best quality. Overall this one didn't work for me. The oak and alcohol were just too apparent.

4.54/5  rDev +12.9%

Nice-but-unexceptional EIPA pour. Very hazy, orange in the middle, yellow at the ends, capped with a lacy white head.

Smells wonderful! Normally when I say the malt smells of Toffee I mean that there's a rounded, caramel-like sweetness with a creamy or buttery finish that somewhat resembles toffee. This, on the other hand, smells like a Werther's Original, sweet as buttermilk. This miraculously washes against a complex english hop profile that's bitter, spicy, and dry.

Doesn't taste quite as good as it smells. The malt is still exceptionally sweet and buttery, the hops are still big and wonderfully varied, but everything doesn't click as perfectly as they do in the aroma. Still very good, though.

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%

First off the art on the lable is sick. I love that style of tattoo art. My next ink session will be in that style. I saw this at my local store and they hadn't even got the price on the bottles so I assume this is fresh. Poured into my pint glass the beer is orange amber heavy on the orange. The head is enormous. It's a thick creamy white color. It hasn't receded at all so I will have to take a drink to talk about lacing. The aroma is hoppy but, sweet fruit shines through as well. Almost bubblegum like. The flavor is hops and toasted malt. It has a strange flavor that I can't seem to decipher. It's not a bad flavor but, I just have never had an English IPA before so it may be the style of hops. Back to the lacing. Wow! Thick lace completely covers my glass. Medium body with moderate carbonation. Overall a very good yet different beer for me.

4.1/5  rDev +2%

A leviathan or a pirate ship, seldom heard which, as we gaze at the sky through the orange haze. A cap, you see. A largish one, of white, and subsidation to wispy forgotten tomorrows, as the clouds drift along so mimbly-pimbly through the sky, awash with the hues of goldish orange, a sunset a-forming. Crows-caws rending the calm as we lie on the surface, the deck of a massive island or ship as it were, and take in the aromas of orange and sunset with the palm trees, pineapple and earth so prevalent in all of the hogwashery that becomes increasingly difficult to meander through and wrap our little skulls about. A sharp note to it, some honey and spice, an immense island-richness there, a heady and syrupish clamming up the nostril-pipes, leaves a base honey-sweet, as it were, crawling alongst all of the sharpish notesies that swing athrob the bitterish.
And the calamity of a flavour-bog, sameishness with the flopsism from the nostril-brigands, delish, one must say, clearish-like. a balance, though with the syrupish.... pastry? silliness. Syrupish as from the can of yestereve's pineapples, as one can clearly note, a thickish finish.
Not so large in the prickly-tongue, little to remind one of the bookish cotton-tongue, the syrupish wins it up from the ending.
A bit slothy, the saddens from not the havings for this much often... For delish it must be.
We lie on our backs gazing up at the clouds and seeing shapes... and enjoy.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Cloudy goldenrod with a persistent, off-white, two finger head.

S: Big candy sweetness, like a barleywine. Some rotting fruits... orange. Not much hops, oddly.

T: Very sweet, with a polite, balancing hop bitterness on the back. The orange comes out in force, and alcohol is very well concealed for a 9%.

M: Very smooth indeed.

D: High for such a big beer. Watch out.

4.3/5  rDev +7%

I drank this from a the bottle into a chalice.

The pour and appearance are pretty disappointing. It pours a dark orange, that is clear with a finger white head that disappears fast. Minimal lacing. Just not a very pretty ipa.

Smells very citrusy, orange dominates but has a nice finish with hops coming in after the first big smell.

The taste is nice and smooth very orangy that lasts even through the finish. The bitter end is very sharp but quick, finishes fast.

I actually prefer this to dreadnaught, but not one of the top IPA's I've head.

3.97/5  rDev -1.2%

Nice golden amber, scent of floral. Goes down easy, with a caramel-like hint and a pronounced hoppy bitterness. Smooth and tasty, and totally representative of a good, solid IPA. Not a groundbreaking or unique brew, but certainly solid and enjoyable.

4.37/5  rDev +8.7%

Received in a trade with paco1029384756- thanks Frank! Bomber served into a pint glass, cellar temp.

Appearance is excellent- a clear, coppery liquid with a fine 2 finger head which stays around for a bit. Smells caramelly and sweet. Taste is a bit sweet, and I was surprised at the subtle taste of the hops in this English IPA. They're in the background- a bit bitter, but not overwhelming. Taste and mouthfeel are almost barleywine-ish. A little lighter, but the Malt taste is up front. Very dry, the beer leaves almost zero aftertaste. It's there and then gone. I would say drinkability is not that high, but I just realized this beer is going down faster than I thought.

4.4/5  rDev +9.5%

Served from a 22oz. bomber with some wicked artwork in my SABL glass at between cellar and fridge temp.

A - Orange-amber in color with a visible viscosity in the pour and a soap-bubbly off-white head that didn't rise too high, but had quite good staying power. Lacing is erratic but quite visible.

S - Honey butter and orange marmalade sweetness above a toasted bready malt profile. Very interesting!

T - Sweet and enticing up front, with a fruity juiciness that reminds me first of grilled peaches, and then of overripe apricots. Also get an interesting taste of mild melba toast. Warming alcohol and tartness comes in the middle, followed by a very pleasant and quite green hop bitterness that replaces any lingering sweetness with an engaging dryness. Aftertaste is toasty, but not as biscuity as I was hoping for. Overall, a very well rounded taste profile.

M - Thick and powerful entering the mouth. Velvety smooth and fluffy. Swallow is like liquid Jello in consistency. Fantastic -- reminds me of the awesome mouthfeel of Dogfish Head 90 Minute.

D - This is one seriously yummy EIPA that (thankfully) doesn't contain the signature overabundance of Amarillo hops (or any, for that matter). It's a really good recipe, and the toasted oak aging really adds a nice hit of extra flavor to help brace against the 9% ABV. One of FFF's better "rare" offerings.

3.91/5  rDev -2.7%

Acquired via trade...thanks Josh! 22 ounce bottle poured into a imperial pint glass. No bottling info or abv info is given.

A-Pours a semi-clear orangish amber that really glows in the light. Has a one finger off white head that thins out but retains a decent layer. Bubbles continually rise from the bottom of the glass. Lots of lace is left.

S-The nose never really pops enough for me. Citrus notes come out, as well as some earthy/grassy notes. Caramel malt is definitely noticeable.

T-The citrus hops are more present than in the nose. The caramel malt comes on very fast. Thw oak used to age the beer is definitely apparent on the finish. As it warms I pick up on some spicy earthy hops that can be attributed to the English hops used. The oak aftertaste gets bigger as this one warms. I found that all of the various flavors really came together after it had sat in the glass for 30 minutes.

M-Thicker bodied with crisp carbonation. It is smooth and creamy.

D-It is a big beer with a lot of complexity. I wouldn't go with more than one 22 ounce bottle in a session.

A pretty good beer overall. I know they used all English hops, yeast, and malts, but to me it was a cross between a citrusy American IPA and a spicy/earthy English IPA. The oak added a unique flavor that worked. Next time I would let the bottle sit out longer before cracking.

3.9/5  rDev -3%

Poured into a pint glass, this is a pretty dark peach color with a low but dense head on it. The nose is sweet and fruity, and while it has plenty of hops, it's certainly no hop bomb. They're lightly floral, and accent the malt rather than overwhelm it. There's lot of malt to taste... bitterness and hop flavor are present in big amounts, but the heavy maltiness is the major flavor. Viscous fruitiness as well. Lingering malt at the close. The body is heavy, so I guess they didn't cut it with any adjuncts.

Interesting enough, but not a beer I'd care to get again, given the hefty price tag.

3.17/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Received in a trade for some Hopslam; thanks, Drew! Poured into a pint glass, this beer had a nice golden body with a thin white head. Aroma is of hops, sugar and vanilla. Full bodied creamy and syrupy mouthfeel. This beer is mostly sweet and overly oaky with an almost cloying finish that has very little hop bitterness. I appreciate the brewer's intent with the oak and low bitterness to make this taste more authentic as if the barrel had sailed for months, however it just wasn't my cup of tea. I don't think I'll be having this one again soon.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

This is the third time I've had a chance to sit down and enjoy this beer. I've needed to try it a few times to give it an accurate rating because of the complexity of the flavors found in this tasty English IPA. The first time I tried it I was a little overwhelmed by the flavors I was experiencing and could not identify them. One of the unique flavors that I detect in this beer is an after taste of English Toffee. The mouth feel is smooth and creamy. It's not too carbonated, so I can get a better sense of the various flavors. As with many Three Floyds, this is a great beer, but I can only drink one or two glasses before I get overwhelmed by the flavor.

3.71/5  rDev -7.7%

Ordered from Archer Liquors. Hazy burnt orange color with bright white centimeter head This definitely isn't an American-style IPA, as I still have feeling in my tongue. Hops are more floral in character and there's a crapload of malt and sugar to back them up. A bit buttery. You can definitely taste the oak in this one. Mouthfeel is pretty thick, a little syrupy and sticky, and carbonation is medium. Overall I like this a lot. Very interesting departure typical American styles.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

22 oz. bomber from Archer Liquors - part of my first order from them, and this is the first one of the goodies I'm cracking. A longtime want from a favorite brewery of mine! Poured into a 22 oz. brandy snifter.

Appearance: Pours a clear, attractively-hued beer, a bright orange reddish sunset amber brew, a little darker than I imagine most English IPAs are, but no matter. The head doesn't have much staying power - the one finger of light tan or (perhaps more accurately described as) off-white head fades relatively quickly, but does leave behind a persistent sheen atop the surface, a thick, soapy collar, and a great deal of stringy, leggy lacing, the effects of which are magnified after each sip - a good sign of hop content. Carbonation is of an average size and average speed, though it's rather infrequent. All in all, a good start.

Aroma: Earthy, herbal hop overtones mingle on about equal ground with apricots, oranges, and peaches, along with a faint, singeing tickle. Is it the alpha acids, or the alcohol? I'm gonna go with the former, because (having tasted this one), the alcohol seems to be so well-integrated, so well-hidden, that it doesn't really factor in to the proceedings at all. It's really impressive, actually. The underlying malt base is authentically English, biscuity, graham cracker-esque in its spiciness.

Taste: Quite tasty. Obvious East Kent Goldings are prominent and large up front - very English, very appropriate, and in this case, very nice. A spicy, earthy, herbal presence is about half of the the dominant hop presence in this one - it's faintly minty, but also faintly reminiscent of juniper. The remaining half, however, is decidedly American, if not in the actual hop usage than certainly in the presentation - heavy citrus, orange zest, peaches, and white grapefruit - the combination of which with the more traditionally-English notes (at least, as I perceive them) provides a fantastic juxtaposition, well-rounded and mutually enhancing. The backing malt bill is moderately roasted, biscuity, and moderately attenuated, the effects of which are magnified by a mineral aspect inherent in the water and the moderate to high level of piney bitterness attributable to the hops. Though I can appreciate what seems like it might be oaky, earthy, wooden notes if I concentrate significantly,

Mouthfeel: Crisp carbonation in a moderately thick body makes for a nice enhancement of the moderate bitterness and the spicy, juniper berry-esque hop notes. It's thick, but not nearly as sticky as it might be, on account of the relative high-attenuation of the malt bill ... or maybe it only seems that way? It events out a little as things warm and the body thickens.

Drinkability: What a great brew. It's essentially an English DIPA, a (faux-)style I've never had occasion or the opportunity to try before. I'll be damned if it feels or seems like a Double/Imperial anything, however - the alcohol on this one, though formidable on paper, is nowhere to be seen or felt. As many have mentioned, yes, the bottle artwork is grotesque, but it's in no way indicative of the contents. What's within is a well-crafted, unique, drinkable, and enjoyable brew from a great brewery. Perhaps a little tough on the wallet at $9 or $10, but I could see this as an occasional special treat, or paired with some spicy, braised meat or Mexican food of some sort. Color me impressed.

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

Received a bottle in a trade with Beersis81. It poured a transparent orange with a one finger head into a perfect pint glass. The head retention was not great.

Very clean smelling. vanilla, oak, caramel, orange citrus.

Malty and oak up front than transition into a strong,but pleasant bitter finish. A slight hint of chocolate is present as well. It's nice to have and English IPA as it easy to focus on American varieties.

The mouthfeel is great as all the flavors stand out on there own while also balancing each other out. One sip tickles multiple tastebud on my tongue which is great. There is not prevalent booziness to this treat.

Overall, this is my first beer ever from three floyds and I have enjoyed it greatly. I look forward to trying more in the future.

4.18/5  rDev +4%

Pours a very nice dark copper with sweet head and nice lacing. Huge hop scent, slightly overwhelming at first; extremely floral with a vit of jerky in the nose. Huge hop flavor, too; like a tangerine jerky stick; very hoppy (EK Golding I think are the primary), needs more malt to it, but wonderful if you like hop bombs. Goes down quite smooth for a 9% brew.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Blackheart from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.