2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bourbon Barrel Aged Vanilla Bean Dark Lord - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Bourbon Barrel Aged Vanilla Bean Dark LordBourbon Barrel Aged Vanilla Bean Dark Lord

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  15.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout aged in a variety of Bourbon barrels with vanilla beans.

(Beer added by: mcallister on 04-27-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 716 | Reviews: 207 | Show All Ratings:
justforrazors

Missouri

4.94/5  rDev +4.7%

2013 Vintage, bottle 428/711

Split with my friend Keith who attended DLD with me this year. Served in a FFF mini-snifter. Reviewed from notes.

A- Upon pouring, a mocha head quickly appears and dies down within 30 seconds, leaving a ring of foam around the rim of the glass. The color is opaque black, thick like motor oil.

S- The first thing I can smell is a very strong bourbon barrel presence, but it is quickly joined by vanilla, coffee, and a sweet molasses like aroma. Excellent aroma, it definitely invites you to take a drink.

T- I don't think it would be possible to use any more descriptors for this beer. Black cherries, prunes, vanilla, followed by some tobacco and caramel with bourbon strong on the finish. There is a lingering sweetness that is very familiar from regular dark lord on the back end, and surprisingly little to no alcohol bite, even with the bourbon flavor being so apparent. There is no detectable hop bitterness.

M- Silky smooth, yet very thick at the same time. This is definitely a sipper, but it is very easy to drink. Low-medium carbonation is right on for the style. The flavors linger and change over the incredibly long finish, definitely over a minute later I can still taste the beer.

O- This is a very enjoyable, incredibly complex beer. I'm glad I hadn't drank anything before this, because it was such a pleasure to really get into this beer and enjoy the full range of flavors you can get from it. The bourbon is there on the nose and finish, but the vanilla really outshines it, at least in my opinion. I'm sure that will die down with time, although I think this is simply amazing as it is right now. It was an honor to drink this beer, so very glad I was able to score one this year!

05-17-2013 03:43:21 | More by justforrazors
kdmcguire10

4.65/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Gorgeous beer with silky appearance and a half finger mocha head.

Smell is obviously tons of fresh vanilla bean. Also a big roasty profile and some booze soaked figs.

Taste is like an incredible dessert beer. Super sweet, to the point of being cloying. The vanilla comments the beer perfectly but the residual sugars start to overpower the beer. A little less and the beer would be more balanced

Luxurious mouthfeel. Thick, coats your mouth and lingers. The sugar sticks to your lips long after your swallow. Woke up the next morning and it still coated my mouth

Overall this is a great beer. My preference would be to get the sugar level down just a tad to let the other aspects of this beer come into the spotlight a bit more

07-19-2013 12:06:28 | More by kdmcguire10
godfathermg57

4.85/5  rDev +2.8%

Got a growler in trade thanks to StoutFest.

An incredible beer. There was absolutely no head or carbonation when i poured it which was a bit surprising, however after tasting I can see why. This beer isn't even a beer; it's like a vanilla, chocolate, malt syrup and I mean that in the best way possible. Incredibly smooth, thick, and complex in taste. Definitely one I had to split with friends but one I was glad I had a chance to try. 5 Star beer.

10-25-2011 18:40:39 | More by godfathermg57
ADTaber

South Carolina

On draft at the FFF Brew Pub on DLD, poured into a snifter

A: pours black like spent motor oil with a thin brown head that dissolves slowly and leaves virtually no lacing

S: quite sweet, vanilla, dark chocolate, bourbon, roasted coffee and malt, a hint of dark fruit

T: very similar to smell, very sweet, vanilla, chocolate syrup, a hint of bourbon, roasted coffee and malt

MF: thick/heavy body, fairly low carbonation, coats the palate, alcohol is well hidden

Overall: delicious, sweeter than I expected but still very enjoyable, definitely glad I waited in the Brew Pub line for hours to try this one

05-02-2011 01:08:31 | More by ADTaber
Rau71

4.93/5  rDev +4.4%

Tried this on tap at the Firestone Walker Invitational Beer Fest on 6/9/12.
Pours a dark black with almost zero head. Smells like Vanilla and a hint of the bourbon barrel. Tastes like dessert. Wonderful smoothness of Vanilla and Bourbon on the mouth. Thick and creamy beer, I wanted to make an Ice Cream float with it. at 15% there was ZERO alcohol flavor or feel which is an amazing testament to how great this beer is.

06-10-2012 15:42:00 | More by Rau71
bainard

4.88/5  rDev +3.4%

Let's preface this review with some backstory:

I biked to DLD 2008 from the near NW side of Chicago. It was about 30 miles down to Munster. After leaving at about 8AM, arriving at 11, the one thing I needed the most upon my arrival on a very windy day was a friggin' beer. Luckily, I'd come to the right place. I grabbed a Dreadnaught on cask and a Vanilla Dark Lord while my comrades held me a place in line. I gladly shared the Dreadnaught while hording the Dark Lord for my own, exhausted self. I just recently found my notes for this wonderful treat.

A - The plastic cup gives this one a more collegiate feel. Weird, but charming. Black, Black, Black beer (maybe a sepia note) with sediment lacing the sides of the cup, like sediment while one pans for gold, except you're drinking the gold. Minimal khaki head.

T - Dark Lord. With Vanilla. That's all you really need to know. Roasty malt, soy sauce, molasses, coffee are the dominating notes here besides the indomitable vanilla.

M - If you told me this was a milkshake made with vanilla ice cream and dark lord, I would not have argued with you.

D - One of these had me forgetting about the 45-50 km/h wind and the bike-ride exhaustion. One's all you need. This ruled.

07-22-2008 23:57:39 | More by bainard
islandboi8204

Hawaii

4.65/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours without much carbonation, leaves staining on the glass as it is swirled. Mahogany color.

Smells of chocolate cherry, fruit, vanilla, coffee. Wonderful.

Tastes similar to the smell, but velvety, rich, creamy, savory. Vanilla more present in the taste, but not cloyingly sweet either. Really decadent as a dessert.

Alcohol is very well masked. Not too heavy in the mouth, but a little more carbonation would help make it less syrupy. It's probably missing some from the hand bottling.

Overall, this is incredible. I would drink this all day long, glad I could try it. Looking forward to opening up my other growler, and trying this on tap some day.

12-04-2011 02:54:33 | More by islandboi8204
ajsdad06

4.55/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Draft at DLD 11.

Pours a viscous oil like black with a smal ldense tan head.

The aroma is everything the original is and then some: sweet, chocolate, dark fruits, vanilla, oak, bourbon, and light coffee.

The flavor is much of the same: chewy sweet malt, vanilla, dark fruits, chocolate, some roasted at times, and light coffee.

Everything mentioned would be enough to classify this as an excellent beer, but for me the mouthfeel pushes it into another category. This is sooo smooth and creamy I could kick back and savor this all day (if it weren’t 14%). It is easy to forget about the alcohol with this one.

07-13-2011 03:13:01 | More by ajsdad06
nasty31

Indiana

4.7/5  rDev -0.4%

on tap at DLD

A- Very dark brown, but not as dark as i thought it would be, also sort of thin looking.

S- Massive vanilla aromas up from to go along with a burbon and sweet chocolate smell.

T- Strong vanilla up front, but not not a cheap fake vanilla flavor like most. On the backside you get a strong burbon sweetness to mix with the vanilla. This is probably the best flavor blend in a beer i have ever had.

M- Thinner then expected like said before, but not anything extreme.

Overall this beer is a deadly one. Goes down with no burn at all and tastes amazing. I had several glasses of this and did not realize it until later when i wass on the floor

05-04-2011 16:36:19 | More by nasty31
Kayn169

3.48/5  rDev -26.3%

On tap at Dark Lord Day 2011.

A- Typical of the style, deep dark black. With the smallest layer of khaki head. Almost no carbonation to be seen

S- Hits hard and dominates with the smell of pure Vanilla extract, undertones of Espresso grounds, bittersweet chocolate, and just a touch of bourbon.

T- Wow, it's like taking a bottle of pure Mexican vanilla, and dumping it in a glass of DL, with a large spoon of molasses for sweetness. Insanely sweet, too much for me.

M- I have heard it described as a motor oil consistency, and although it isn't quite that bad, it is pretty syrupy.

O- Overdone. I am a firm believer in accenting a beer with things like vanilla, not making them the star. DL is a good beer that is struggling to even be noticed here. Everyone I talked to in the Pub agreed, it was just to sweet and had too much vanilla. Glad I tried it though. I would say if the vanilla sweetness was cut down it would be an easy A review

05-25-2011 19:16:46 | More by Kayn169
habanosdarklord

4.93/5  rDev +4.4%

On tap at Three Floyds, Dark Lord Day 2011.

A- Black, as you would expect. Really nice tan head appears with a swirl of the glass.

S- The aromas are excellent. Sweet, rich vanilla, dark chocolate, dark red fruits, and rich roasty espresso notes. Complex aromas overall.

T- The flavors follow the nose. Dark chocolate, rich espresso, vanilla and a fruity cherry like flavor as well. This beer was amazing. Period.

M- Very thick, slight carbonation.

Overall, really one of the best beers I have ever had. The complexity is really something to notice with this beer. Great day at Three Floyds. Dark Lord Day was a blast.

05-01-2011 18:33:53 | More by habanosdarklord
udchemist

4.93/5  rDev +4.4%

Had this on DLD 2010 - it was by far the best beer I tried there - and I tried both Pliney's, 09 and 10 DLs and a heap of other beers.
Taste - amazingly complex, with the vanilla and bourbon coming through to me really well. very balanced and hard to figure out what a lot of the tastes were initially - got better as it warmed :)
Pour - not sure, got it handed to me from someone else who had had it a minute or two
Color - oil
Mouthfeel - very thick, coated the throat/mouth (like DL does). Definitely a sipping beer.

overall - way better than DL in my opinion. Can't wait to get it on tap again next year! :)

09-10-2010 03:31:32 | More by udchemist
TStron

4.97/5  rDev +5.3%

On tap at DLD 2010

A - Very Dark. No head but I didn't see the pour and am not sure how long it sat before the waiter served it at our table.

S - Rich vanilla aroma with hints of bourbon. Smells amazing.

T - Great vanilla flavor that is powerful but doesn't dominate over the slight oak and bourbon notes mingled with molasses. Just the right amount of sweetness.

M - Smooth as can be. Low on carbonation. This beer is full of flavors that linger well after a small sip has been taken. This allowed for a 6oz glass to last a long time. Didn't come off as too thick. Just right.

D - I could drink this anytime. I don't think the vanilla would ever get old over the course of many glasses and the alcohol seems about right. Would love to test this hypothesis but unfortunately I was only able to get a small glass about 6oz.

I waited in line for 4 hours to get into the brew pub on DLD and it was absolutely worth it. Any fan of stouts should make trying this a priority and the first thing you do if you make it to DLD. I am amazed at how well the actual thing stood up to all the hype.

04-26-2010 03:40:23 | More by TStron
Simmy7000

4.8/5  rDev +1.7%

Big thanks to StoutFest!
Served into a snifter

A- Pours a very dark brown with no head present. Body appears black but the edges are a ruby-brown color when light strikes them.

S- Definitely has the characteristic Dark Lord smell with a twist. Loads of dark fruit, chocolate, booze combine with a massive vanilla presence. Can't wait to taste it!

T- Waves of creamy, sweet vanilla up front blending into a mix of chocolate covered dark fruits, molasses, and coffee. The finish is a slight hint of licorice coupled with a deep warming from the alcohol. Just decadent, to say the least.

M- Thick, syrup-like body that is on the low side of carbonation. Overall though, it has a silky, smooth feel that coats the mouth while drinking. No hint of the 15% alcohol besides some warmth.

O- What a phenomenal beer, certainly one of the best I have ever had. I am a huge fan of regular Dark Lord and the vanilla seems to blend in perfectly with the base beer, giving it a creamy, marshmallow type flavor on top of an already monster of a beer. Can't wait to have this on-tap directly at DLD next year.

11-05-2011 05:15:30 | More by Simmy7000
TPatuto

Wisconsin

4.88/5  rDev +3.4%

On-Tap into little plastic cup. (I wish it were a bigger cup.)

A - Black and Black. A tinge of brown around the edges almost creates this aura around the beer. The tiny bit of head that existed disappeared in an instant, to a very skinny rim.

S - Aggressive vanilla (go figure, right?) caramel, coffee, dark roasted malts, molasses. Light bourbon alcohol scent as well.

T - Vanilla, cocoa, hints of dried dark berry fruits. Super intense and over the top goodness. Flavors lingered for an extremely long time. Definitely overpowered everything else.

M - Rich and Coating. A tiny hint of alcohol toward the back end.

D - Extremely drinkable. I would love a glass of this in the dead of winter in front of a fireplace. That would probably make me giggle like a 4th grade school girl.

Overall Impression - I loved this and was very happy that Three Floyds went about making this again for '09 DLD. A great effort.

04-30-2009 15:59:13 | More by TPatuto
Weebay

Ontario (Canada)

4.8/5  rDev +1.7%

A- Very dark brown,

S- Strong vanilla aroma and burbon and sweet chocolate.

T- Vanilla up front that fades to a burbon sweetness. Really very excellent.

M- Not as viscous as I expected, very nice.

This was an excellent beer, considering the ABV it went down very easily. Well worth the trip and ticket related stress to get to try it.

05-12-2011 13:45:35 | More by Weebay
marchoftheclouds

A - Black as being inside of a cave

S - It was love at first sniff ... a vanilla BOMB

T - Vanilla beer, no, not beer ... DESSERT! This should be sold to pour over ice cream as a topping ... to be sipped slowly and enjoyed and savored

M - perfect ... A standard for all other beers

O - A great beer and extremely memorable.

I had it on Dark Lord Day after waiting for hours to get into the brew pub for DL on tap. The regular DL was great, but this kicked its butt ... From notes

Until I have a better beer ... this is perfection

12-19-2011 06:30:31 | More by marchoftheclouds
hombrepalo

3.6/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

8oz pour at Dark Lord Day a few years back. A total mess in my opinion. Thick and clumpy with very little head, left a coat of motor oil sheet on the plastic cup. Smells of vanilla extract, chocolate and licorice. Taste is similar with a strong Kick of alcohol, finish is nausiating with a thick sweetness left in the back of the mouth. Really hard to finish 8oz, can't see why this is so highly rated, would like to retry this for a second look.

11-09-2011 17:49:50 | More by hombrepalo
ryanfolty

July 3, 2013 - bottle shared by Joe. This will be rating 1492 for me (on RB), the year that Columbus discovered America. Fitting since this beer marks my discovery of something that is at the same level as Goose Island’s BCS Rare. Yes, what I thought was my one and only 5.0 rating now has a companion. How can I say this is as good as Rare? Well after drinking, my wife and I say to Joe that it is one of the best beers we have ever had, but not sure it is better than Rare. What does Joe go and do, yes he pulls a Rare out of his cellar and we do a blind impromptu tasting!!! I admit on this day the Vanilla DL was better than the Rare (I was able to choose each correctly), but the Rare did not taste quite as good as when I had it initially. I can’t thank Joe enough for his generosity on this night. I guess I will put some actual beer comments in now. Of course this was a black pour with tan head. The aroma and taste were magical blends of chocolate, vanilla and bourbon. Each one in perfect harmony that created an other worldly experience. 2012 vintage, bottle 408 of 934.

07-08-2013 02:24:29 | More by ryanfolty
IrishColonial

4.7/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Many thanks to siege06nd for snagging this bottle for my 30th bday.

A: inky black motor oil, not much head. The head that is there is nice eggshell creamy color.

S: chocolate covered marshmallow, lots of vanilla, still some wood hanging around. Liquid candy.

T: liquid chocolate marshmallows with some smooth bourbon flavor. No heat from the bourbon at all. Still some base Dark Lord taste comes through-molasses, asphalt, soy sauce-which is not my favorite, but easily overcome by the barrel and vanilla. A bit sweet but not syrupy.

M: thick creamy viscous engine oil. Dark and coats the tongue but a light feeling keeps it from being cloying.

O: one of the best beers I've had. It would likely be better if fresher but this is outstanding. The mouthfeel and the way the bourbon and vanilla flavors integrate but also mostly blot out the offensive base Dark Lord flavors.

02-22-2014 20:16:11 | More by IrishColonial
bulldogp04

Indiana

4.53/5  rDev -4%

Appearance: Pours pitch black with a minimal head, very similar to regular Dark Lord.

Smell: Aromas of chocolate, slightly roasted malt, and of course VANILLA....not overpowering on the vanilla like some might indicate.

Taste: The best bottle of Dark Lord you have ever had with an amazing hint of sweet vanilla. Roasted malts, chocolate malt, burnt sugar, slight bit of hops and dark fruit, although not nearly as much as in years past. Vanilla was simply a fantastic addition to this thick and viscous beer.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, viscous, chewy....everything you'd expect from the king of stouts.

04-25-2009 23:51:50 | More by bulldogp04
Steamhead

Kentucky

Dark Lord Day 2009

This beer alone makes the trip to Munster, Indiana worthwhile. After VBDL '08 being very close to perfection, I came to the conclusion this year that if I had a true number one beer in the world then this would be it. Visually, it shares the same distinctive blackness of Dark Lord. Aromatically, though, instead of the roasted Intelligentsia coffee notes, it exhibits a creamy, old-fashioned vanilla milkshake note that I associate with top porters. It was so pleasing and intellectually stimulating that I just sat in amazement at this beer in the Three Floyds brewpub. VBDL was even more intriguing than I remembered. The decadent, palate-coating goodness...the unmistakable weight...the textural mystery of Dark Lord was all there, but deeper, more mellow, and indescribably subtle. The wood tannin has integrated perfectly into the structure. The finish just goes on and on and on into a silent resolution that this is one of the benchmarks of modern brewing. Few other examples could sit side by side with VBDL and take one's attention away from this giant. It is inspiring to see Three Floyds go one step further in perfecting the Dark Lord recipe. This beer carries 13% alcohol the way a top-notch vintage of Lafite-Rothschild carries 13% and that is to say with an impossible juxtaposition of rich, thick extract and ethereal lightness. It is quite a feat that I feel privileged to witness. I marked Dark Lord Day 2010 down in my calendar.

04-30-2009 10:03:14 | More by Steamhead
coffygrinder

4.53/5  rDev -4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was great. It pours jet black. You can smell the sweetness off the back with hints of vanilla. Coffee as well as chocolate also show in this beer. Thick mouth feel, you can almost chew on this beer. Very sweet, I kinda wish that we let this beer age a lot longer but it is what it is. The vanilla shows on the back end behind the sweetness. It is a beer that I am glad that I shared with a friend, I think a whole bottle by myself might be a little much.

Overall it was a good beer. It is super sweet, thick RIS. Something that you want to open with friends unless you like to hord your beer. Share it with some other BA's it will make for a fun night

12-24-2012 15:29:00 | More by coffygrinder
BAstoutsNsours

4.85/5  rDev +2.8%

Had on tap at Hunaphu's Day 2013. 6oz serving. Although I'm unaware of 2011 Bourbon Vanilla DL being bottled, this was listed as such. Staff swore it was Bourbon Vanilla (not Brandy) and it was 2011 vintage. Anywho

A: Dark pitch black motor oil appearance with only a little head.

S: TONS of vanilla on the nose, very raw vanilla bean up front, small hints of cocoa, not much booze considering this is ~15%

T: Taste like a chocolate birthday cake with chocolate butter cream with vanilla bean ice cream on top. LOADS of vanilla, they did not short this thing and I've really never had a beer with so much vanilla in it. If you like your vanilla subtle or as an afterthought, this beer is not for you. Chocolate, espresso, and marshmallow are all there.

M: Thick, viscous, just a tiny bit of carb. Really coats the mouth and encourages the drinker to do so.

O: A very very good beer, this is such an in-your-face beer that it would be hard to drink more than a pour or two. That being said, its delicious and drinks like liquid cake. Like cake, there is only so much you can handle before the diabeetus settles in.

05-09-2013 01:12:24 | More by BAstoutsNsours
Sandbarunner

South Carolina

4.58/5  rDev -3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was a 2012. Got it from a friend and held onto it for a while.

Is it worth the hype??? Well, this beer is awesome! Super heavy booze note when opening. Drank it at 65 degrees. But it fell completely off almost instantly. It hits really hard and then...Gone!

To be perfectly honest! Find a Blendiculous#1 and trade your Dark Lord for it!

Even an Event Horizon from the same date would be better serve. I really wanted this beer to be perfect. Not every beer is perfect!

Right?!?!?!

04-20-2014 03:51:58 | More by Sandbarunner
Bourbon Barrel Aged Vanilla Bean Dark Lord from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub