Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Apocalypse Cow | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Apocalypse CowApocalypse Cow

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Availability: Summer

9.5-11.0% ABV, 100 IBUs - This complex double India pale ale has an intense citrus and floral hop aroma balanced by a velvety malt body which has been augmented with lactose milk sugar. With this different take on an IPA we have brewed an ale that is both pleasing to drink and, once again, “not normal.” Cheers! June release.

Added by mdm46410 on 11-23-2008

Reviews: 479 | Ratings: 2,045
Reviews by sleuthdog:
4.52/5  rDev +8.1%

2012 Vintage poured into FFF Teku glass

Appearance: Cow poured a light copper-orange color with two fingers worth of head. Head is fluffy and a great brilliant white color with very tight small bubbles. It settles quickly and leaves some nice lacing behind.

Smell: Up front there is a definite tropical fruit presence with mango, melon, pineapple, some honey. Not at all resiney in the nose to me and to be honest smells "smooth" to me. It's as if the lactose milk sugar has thrown in a very unique twist here even in the nose.

Taste: Oh WOW I think I just found my favorite DIPA to date! I am getting the orange-tangerine, grapefruit, peach, melon, and mango. Just a ton of citrus and tropical notes but this is followed up by an awesome caramel and honey sweetness in the backbone that smoothes everything and makes this highly drinkable in a dangerous way! Alcohol is so well hidden I can't believe this is 11%.

Mouthfeel: Like I've said a couple times before this is one smooth DIPA and I'm thoroughly enjoying it! Hops are most definitely there but not in an in your face way. Carbonation is moderate and adds a slight prick on the tongue.

Overall: Well what more can I say? Simply amazingly well done FFF! Everything works in this beer and I really can not find anything wrong with it. Just plain stellar!

A - Cloudy, deep orange hue with a retaining head that leaves lots of lace around the glass;
S - Citrus forward with a sweet, malty backbone;
T - Balanced hops with a malty finish, clean and no real alcohol heat, very drinkable for the style;
M - Crisp upfront, fades to that mouth coating reminiscent of milk stouts (it's the milk sugar, duh);
O - Subtly different expression of the same idea that's come to epitomize FFF Brewing: pale, hoppy, drinkable, and reliable, yet ultimately boring. I can't give too much credit to a brewery that fails to (ever) surprise me.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Look - Mainly orange with yellow tint. Thick, small bubbled, slightly off white head. Good lacing. The body is hazy.

Smell - There is that strong dankness. Vanilla. Caramel. Pine. Pineapple.

Taste - The only difference in the taste is the bitterness and alcohol. A little orange and extra citrus thrown in there too.

Feel - Creamy. Milky. Small burst of carbonation but not too much.

Overall - 4.5s across the board. I need this side by side with Cimmerian to see which is my favorite Floyds DIPA (so far). I really like this beer's balance.

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Got the very last 22oz bomber at Woodman's in Oak Creek, WI! Poured into glass

Appearance: Pours a hazy, almost milky, orange with a few bubbles that lazily float up to the top. Has an off-white head that rapidly diminishes with little-to-no lacing on the side of the glass.

Smell: Vibrant citrusy smell with pine. Very bright smell.

Taste: Tastes like your really well executed IIPA with a little bit of a twist. Strong pine notes, some good grapefruit, some dank, and a pinch of milk sugar sweetness that really sets it apart from others in the genre.

Mouthfeel: Much creamier compared to the run of the mill IIPA. Slightly sweet aftertaste, which is definitely different.

Overall: I'd love to get another bottle of this next year when it comes out. Definitely worth my while.

4.09/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Like the 22oz bombers enjoyed every drop of it had my taste buds jumpy and wouldn't mind having this on a movie night like today. This is one of my many favorite double IPAs wish it can come in a six pack as well. Like the art work on it don't know why but very Picasso.

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%

Purchased from the Blatz Beer Cave in downtown Milwaukee. Poured a clear, bright golden body with a white head. Aroma was piney -- smelled like Christmas even -- with hints of sugar. Mouthfeel was full bodied with medium carbonation to keep it on the smooth side. Good malt sweetness with a little oak, balanced with a more subtle hops approach that lasted far beyond the finish. No detection of alcohol in the finish. This beer was pretty much amazing.

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: a burnt golden orange with a hazy consistancy and a thin foam head.

S: sweet hop aromas tease the nostrils.

T: an explosion of sweet malts with the faintest bitter/citrus aftertaste.

MF/D: a cool buzz of light malts leads to a well-bodied, smooth finish.

4.43/5  rDev +6%

Finally found this one up in Milwaukee of all places. Never saw it around IL! Pours into my glass a brilliant deep hazy orange with a solid inch of creamy bubbling white head that leaves sticky lacing everywhere! Aromas kick off with a melange of citrus, floral and pine sap hops. A sugary sweet undertone featuring caramel and wisps of cotton candy as well. The bold hops make you envision a field of fresh green cones sparkling in the sun. Tropical accents. Hoptastic!!

First sip brings smooth, crisp malts upfront with notes of caramel that quickly give in to a wall of oily, bitter hop power. Citric and floral flavors battle it out along with herbal pine accents. Pithy earthy green bitterness attacks the palate. Flows down smooth and slightly creamy from the lactose. Hops linger on in the finish.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with good carbonation. I enjoy what the lactose does for the body here and I'll enjoy the rest of this bomber this afternoon! Overall, it's another bold and flavor packed double IPA from Three Floyds. Glad I got to try this one and I would say it rivals Dreadnaught. Will look forward to when they bottle it again!

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

4.74/5  rDev +13.4%

Translucent, this liquid libation appears lighter than its darker, muddier-looking IIPA counterparts. It's REALLY light--so clear I can see straight through to my fingers on the opposite of my "Sch'wheat" Sweetwater pint glass! Lacing and retention is relatively lacking, but I have to acknowledge it looks like a good, enticing beverage.

Smell is luscious! Pineapples and mangoes take me to beaches and bikinis and bubble gum. Aroma of hop extract makes a man out of me! Reminiscent of Gumballhead, there's a distinct, sweet, candy-to-kids-like appeal that is just too alluring! It's like I'm after the everlasting gobstopper--I can't resist the temptation. A bit like Hopslam, perhaps, the sweet lactose sugar plus bitter yet citrusy hop makes an atmosphere that BEGS for discovery.

Taste is smooth--creamy even! That lightness in the look makes for some easy sipping! Taste is a balanced bittersweetness! It's as if I reserve my sipping, though, just for more smelling. Perhaps my biggest knock to taste is that it's simply second to this amazing aroma. It's easy-sipping and thirst-quenching. At 9.5, this is winner!

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Apocalypse Cow from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.