Apocalypse Cow - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Apocalypse CowApocalypse Cow

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: mdm46410 on 11-23-2008

9.5-11.0% ABV, 100 IBUs - This complex double India pale ale has an intense citrus and floral hop aroma balanced by a velvety malt body which has been augmented with lactose milk sugar. With this different take on an IPA we have brewed an ale that is both pleasing to drink and, once again, “not normal.” Cheers! June release.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,812 | Reviews: 457

3.26/5  rDev -23.3%

Pours a slighly hazy amber with some golden edges with a finger of white head. Leaves some nice sticky lacing.

Aroma is filled with hops, but I get some fresh cut grass or bubblegum that I'm finding kind of off putting. Also a good dose of caramel in the background that is saving the day and evening things out.

The taste is focused on sweet caramel and that same hop profile pops up again, kind of killing the party for me.

Mouthfeel is relatively thick with a decent amount of carbonation. It goes down fairly easy for a big DIPA, but some of the flavors are off-putting to me and I won't be seeking this one out again.

3.28/5  rDev -22.8%

As a big Three Floyds fan I was excited to try this version of an IPA and was hoping to have another Dreadnaught type experience. I am sad to report that didn't happen. Overall, too cloying and sweet. Certainly some fun stuff happening, but just too goopy..

Nice creamy white head forms atop a bright copper beer with excellent clarity. The color is startling and very nice. Some lacing forms and the head does fade rather quickly.

Aroma is bright and a true balance between the citrus hops and floral notes and the bold sweetness. It's right here that you get your first sense of what is to come.

Flavor just grabs you with the bold sweetness. Some deep tropical fruits, citrus hops and certainly fresh, but the bitterness almost takes a back seat to the sweetness. There is a slight touch of alcohol, but again the sweetness takes over and masks this.

Body was a bit too thick and not creamy, but almost syrupy.

I didn't find this extremely drinkable, and was a touch disappointed. If you love overly sweet DPA's then this is your beer. It's just not mine.

3.31/5  rDev -22.1%

Appearance - Deep, hazy tangerine color. 2 fingers of thick foam head. Great retention. Thick lacing.

Smell - Citrus, bread, slight herbal note

Taste - Weird. Probably the first FFF brew I can say right off the bat that I don't care too much for. Citrus and pine hop note up front is quickly overwhelmed by the malt and lactose. Odd aftertaste. Slight alcohol bite.

Mouthfeel - Med/heavy body, acidic, high carbonation, wet sticky finish.

Overall - Probably the most overrated FFF brew I've tried to date. Not bad, but not great either. Disappointed at what I spent on this bomber. So many great brews available for much less, even from FFF! Zombie or Alpha King 6 pack >>>>>>> Apocalypse Cow bomber, all the same price. Will pass on this next time. On the bright side, at 10-11% ABV, it gives you a nice buzz very quickly.

3.32/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

My biggest liquor store option in the college town of Bloomington, IN suggested that I try Apocalypse Cow. I was surprised at the price, but purchased anyway (almost $13 for 1 bottle). I'm not really an IPA fan as of now, so that is probably why I didn't find this beer as good as some others I have had. Just like the description on the bottle, it has a sense of difference from other IPAs, which was a positive for me in this case.

3.35/5  rDev -21.2%

Good beer. Pours a cludy orangey/rust color. Taste is hoppy (not Arctic nor Zombie like) but not overly. This actually tastes like a Bell's Two Hearted. Although the bottle states 9.5 ABV I believe BA indication of 11.0 as you can smell the alcohol as it lingers in the tulip glass. Also feel the burn as it goes down.

Overall another decent FFF brew but far from there best. Keep it a seasonal and ramp up the Zombie Dust production so you can bring it to the East Coast.

3.39/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Chilled bottle into a glass. Courtesy of lurchingbeast. Thanks, Frank. Our many trades have lurched their way into some of my favorites. <3

A: Pours a clear, golden amber (sap colored) body with a finger of off-white head. Great retention, with minor lace.

S: Pungent, bright citrus that tells me that this is a fresh bottle. It's a zesty tangerine character, with pineapple, grapefruit, and orange coming through. This: this is what I enjoy about IPAs. It has a touch of brown sugar (crystal malt?) and sweetness that I don't really want here, but I'll allow it.

T: Again, a beautiful cornucopia of citrus flavors. The horn of plenty delivers pineapple, orange tangerine, grapefruit, even a smidge of pine. I am enthused by all of these, but there is an unapologetic sweetness that lends a candied tint. I won't say it's bad, but after a while it wears on me, particularly with a sweet burn in the finish.

M: It is oddly heavy, so much so that I simply felt distressed and uncomfortable halfway through the bottle. Maybe I'm getting old, but there was a sweetness and body to the beer that just wore on me and made it difficult to finish.

O: It's too bad this doesn't come in 12oz bottles, as it would really benefit the consumer. Come on -- you package your most drinkable beer in 12oz'ers and your heaviest beers in 22oz bottles? More like Three Idiots. I'd have this again, but only with a second person present (which is getting increasingly rare).

3.41/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.43/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Bottle (2013)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, Hugonaut13!

A gorgeous, sticky IPA. Cloudy dark orange with a persistent, creamy, big-bubbled, near-white head. Leaves the glass simply coating with sticky, irregular, messy spiderwebs of lace. Gorgeous.

Sweet, candied orange peel in the aroma along with biscuit and sweet caramel. A bit of alcohol is present in the aroma on deeper inhalations. Certainly hoppy, but this beer's heft and strength may become it's downfall. To go along with all those hops are big malt additions, lots of sweetness, and a definite booze presence. That being said, what is there to expect with an 11% ABV DIPA? Even the best of the style have some warming presence.

As with the aroma, the flavor is bold, big, and sweet. Lots of hop bitterness, sweet, candied grapefruit zest, caramel sweetness, along with some toasted biscuit, and a sightly astringent alcohol character. The flavors actually come together quite nicely, but the lingering finish is what detracts overall, for me.

Medium to full bodied for the style. Thick, sweet, and slightly syrupy.

I'm glad I got to try this, but it's not a devastatingly good beer, like I was hoping it might be. Solid, sweet, big, and bold are all words I would use to describe this beer. That being said, I will hungrily devour the entire bottle and be more than happy to do the same to another.

For the haiku portion of this review, I present to you:

Apocalypse Cow
Please come out and take a bow
You ain't no fat sow

3.45/5  rDev -18.8%

Three Floyds made a very sudden reappearance in Hudson Wisconsin, just across the border, so I made a quick foray to pick up a bottle of this. Love a good DIPA & need something to nurse after my Twins just absorbed a first game beating from the m*ther*** Yankess.

Anyways. Pours reddish, clear, filtered, no bunk on the bottom of the bottle or in the glass. Smells like a solid DIPA, nice waves of citrus, pine, & spring flowers. Also a dangerous amount of sweet malts.

The Cow...too much malts. The sweetness of the malts (& possibly lactose, though I detect little of it) swerve in front of hops & get all tangled up, resulting in a brew that's sweet up front with a nice bitter twang on the donkey's end. But for a DIPA, this is too gentle, too kind, too willing to hand out money to the poor. I expect a DIPA to kick the poverty-stricken. And the rich, too.

The lactose adverised on the label - which I dig, 3F can always turn itself into an art company if the beer thing doesn't work out - is felt more in the mouthfeel, in a creamy, soft, silky kind of way. One bomber split with the wife is good for me.

Pretty good beer, but wouldn't make it anywhere near my list of favorite DIPAs. More hops, less malt. This plays right into the "middle coast" stereotype of a DIPA.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Apocalypse Cow from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.