2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Apocalypse Cow - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Apocalypse CowApocalypse Cow

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Availability: Summer

9.5-11.0% ABV, 100 IBUs - This complex double India pale ale has an intense citrus and floral hop aroma balanced by a velvety malt body which has been augmented with lactose milk sugar. With this different take on an IPA we have brewed an ale that is both pleasing to drink and, once again, “not normal.” Cheers! June release.

(Beer added by: mdm46410 on 11-23-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,362 | Reviews: 429 | Show All Ratings:
roger617

4.58/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap poured into snifter

A: 4.25 Pours bright golden with 1 finger of head. Great lacing.
S: 4.5 Powerful hop aroma. Nothing short of what I'd expect from 3F with this style.
T: 4.75 Amazing flavor profile. Great hop flavor balanced with a strong bitter sweet malt. The lactose is present, but by no means dominant.
M: 4.25 Silky smooth, well carbed.
O: 4.5 3F never ceases to amaze me. This is one delicious beer that I would recommend to any fan of the style.

06-26-2013 21:05:54 | More by roger617
IrishHockey

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%

I think this is my favorite beer that I have had from Three Floyd's. It's kinda like a kicked up, sweeter Zombie Dust IMO. Has some citrus notes to it and its kinda sweet, but not over powering sweet. I paired this with the pulled pork sandwhich from the brew pub (I recommend this too).
This is one that I would have to be careful with though. It drinks easy and has a fairly high alcohol content.

Served on tap at the brew pub in a snifter 8/2012

10-16-2012 14:04:24 | More by IrishHockey
rldavis1116

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

This is probably my newest favorite IPA! I can only hope the one I just brewed will come close. Bold aroma with a creamy mouth feel. Awesomeness in a pint sized glass. Wish there were more barrels coming to Wisconsin soon. What a great beer to come out of Indiana.

08-31-2012 02:43:34 | More by rldavis1116
VncentLIFE

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%

Interesting concept from 3Floyds. On tap at 4th Street Cafe in Columbus.

The body is a bit darker than usual with a smaller than average head. The smell is loaded with a balance of fruit and pine with a good amount of resinous flavors as well. The taste has the same quality as Blackheart, but different. Blackheart has oak, but this has Lactose. The lactose works wonders balancing out what would normally be a overly bitter resinous beer, and magically you get a very creamy balanced slightly fruity and resinous IPA that drinks WAY below the 11%.

07-27-2012 20:29:56 | More by VncentLIFE
EdCooper

4.48/5  rDev +5.7%

It may not look like much, and although I consider myself a beer connoisseur I don't use flowery words/descriptions, this is a great beer. And that's coming from a guy that likes stouts. Unlike the mass produced wussy yellow beers, this has a unique flavor. I didn't notice the citrusy taste at first; but it's definitely there; in a good way. You have something in your mouth, and it isn't beer flavored water. I bought this as an evening beverage, but it could suffice as a heavy alternative to a hot afternoon drink, especially if super cold. Primarily because the flavor is so robust. Non-beer fanatics probably don't understand how a beer can be light and robust at the same time. Eating sour cream & habanero gourmet pretsels with it, so consider that. But I'd give it a 4.7-4.8 overall. I bought 3 beers tonight, and this is the one I looked forward to tasting. Tasty!

07-07-2012 04:17:45 | More by EdCooper
mattboyer182

4.93/5  rDev +16.3%

A - Pours a cloudy yellowish orange with a big two fingered white fluffy head.

S - Its smells insane! So much hops! Piney and citrus and bitter. Lots of grapefruit.

T - Awesome hoppy flavor. Great bitterness and citrus flavors and comes in sweet from the sugars! Such an amazing idea.

M - Medium bodied and medium to high carbonation.

O - Fantastic IPA. So much fun seeing what Three Floyds keeps doing with IPA's.

09-15-2011 21:26:57 | More by mattboyer182
cagocubs

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-Tap poured into snifter glass.

A: Pours a darker amber with 1 finger white foamy head that laces the glass.

S: Sweet: Caramel. Hops. Citrus. Earthy notes.

T: Holy Apocalyptic cow! Earthy hops, malt, and pine come through. This is a complex taste. Has a nice bitter bite from hops with some sweet carry through. The lactose makes this taste hard to define. The aftertaste is full of taste and keeps you wanting more.

M: Creamy, medium bodied. Smooth and finishes with a great aftertaste. Sweet mouth is unique experience.

O: I can't say I have ever had a beer that has confused me and left me wanting more than this. It has complex flavors that keep you guessing and sipping more.

07-30-2011 06:54:16 | More by cagocubs
woosterbill

Connecticut

4.53/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at the brewpub into a Goblet.

A: Clear, slightly reddish pale amber body under a finger of fine off-white foam. Good retention for the strength, and solid lacing. Stunning DIPA.

S: Candied grapefruit, plain and simple: big citrus hops mixed with prominent (and enjoyable, non-cloying) caramel malt. Delightful.

T: Opens with big, juicy, bitter grapefruit hops, followed by some malt sweetness, and finished with huge bitterness and some of booze. I wish this were the 9.5% listed on BA instead of the 11% claimed by the chalkboard, as the alcohol presence is the only drawback to this delicious beer.

M: Creamy, full body with lots of carbonation that starts prickly but smooths out beautifully. Very nice.

O: When I first had this beer during my first visit to the brewpub two summers ago, it was my favorite beer of all time. Two years of solid beer geekery later, and it's still pretty high on the list - I've certainly had a good number of beers I prefer, but there's just something about how perfectly the juicy, citrusy hops go with the malt and lactose sweetness. Even as an avowed lover of hop-centric, "West Coast" style DIPAs, I can't get over how damn delicious every sip of this beer is. This is by far my favorite of the three FFF DIPAs, and is certainly among my top 5 favorite examples of the style.

Cheers!

07-28-2011 18:42:38 | More by woosterbill
Dan3279

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

This was the second beer that I had on tap during my first trip to Three Floyds and I am thrilled that I got a chance to try it The beer was served to me in a snifter glass with a hazy golden orange body with an one inch white head that left some nice lacing. The aroma is dominated by citrus, caramel notes, and tropical fruits, it is just a great smelling beer.

The taste is excellent, a lot of the tropical flavors dance around with the citrus hops with a bit more sweetness than bitterness. The mouthfeel is a bit on the heavy side, it is a creamy beer with a good amount of carbonation. I really didn't notice the lactose milk sugar but I am sure it added to the sweetness that I picked up.

This is an outstanding beer that again I wish I could get here in Ohio. Its something different and another great offering from Three Floyds. Its a special DIPA and not your run of the mill double, its worth checking out.

07-16-2011 00:51:31 | More by Dan3279
askewsour

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

Appearance- Poured into a snifter, pours a hazey orange color with two fingers of thick white head. Some bit of lace left behind.

Smell- citrus notes on the nose. Slightly grassy, with some sweetness underneath.

Taste- Actually starts out fairly sweet, with a light hoppiness. Citrus hops and taste of lemon/orange. Very slight aftertaste of milk from the lactose sugar.

Mouthfeel- Medium body and carbonation. Incredibly smooth and creamy. Easily drinkable despite high ABV %

Overall- Not your typical Imperial IPA. Definitely stands out from the rest of the Three Floyds fleet of beers. Arguably the best they brew in my opinion as they stray away from their typical solution of just adding a ton of hops to what ever beer style they are making. A Must try.

07-13-2011 01:21:18 | More by askewsour
ModemMisuser

Indiana

Have had this twice now - once @ FFF and once @ Black Sparrow in Lafayette.

Color is cloudy orange/yellow. Scent is grapefruit!!!, maybe a little pineappley... tropical fruit, basically. Taste is fairly hard to describe - grapefruit/pineapple for sure. But the lactose changes it a bit, but not in the way you might think. It adds a sweetness mainly - definitely not a malt sweetness; you can tell it's something else. Mouthfeel is somewhat creamy - not like a milk stout - but definitely creamier than a normal IPA.

Good beer. The lactose doesn't come through overmuch for me, but it still adds something that other IPAs definitely don't have. I would probably choose this over a "normal" IPA, but as a non-IPA-head, I'd probably opt for another style anyway.

07-06-2011 16:07:04 | More by ModemMisuser
chicagoabbot

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Bright orange body with plenty of lacing, almost neon in its cloudy excellence. Aroma is incredibly fruity and...buoyant...it has a hop profile completely unique to this beer and a ton of smoothness in the nose. It smells absolutely delicious.

An incredible beer in the mouth and on the tongue. Perfect mouthfeel, but unlike any other beer. It has an excellent sharpness and dryness to go along with big bitterness, loads of malt depth and a smooth, barely present, yeast character. Alcohol is hidden like a diamond under a blue velvet cover.

I really can't say enough good things about this beer. It is completely unique. It is almost perfect.

07-06-2011 07:16:53 | More by chicagoabbot
AleWatcher

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

On tap at FFF.
Served in a snifter.

Nice clear dried-apricot color body with a stark white cap of about half a finger. Thick clingy rings of lace hang with great vengeance and furious anger.
Mmmm. That IS a tasty beer.
The nose holds notes of massive tropical and citrus fruit hops over a sweet malt and sugar base.
The beer has some caramel malt with a healthy dose of added sugars and an intense bitterness. The pineapple, grapefruit, and orangey hop notes are lush and vibrant.
The only downside is the finish betrays the overall smoothness by allowing a slight alcoholic boozy note to surface.

The body is great-- thick and heavy and holding ample carbonation.

Overall, this is a great beer, albeit one I couldn't see myself drinking everyday.

06-29-2011 17:35:12 | More by AleWatcher
EricCioe

Montana

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

On tap at the brewpub, 20 June 2011.

This pours a hazy orange with a one and a half finger ivory head leaving nice lace on the way down. On the nose there are pungent citric hops with a bit of pine beneath it. In the mouth the citric hops are at the fore, but there is a bit of sweetness creeping in mid-palate. The body is full and creamy, the milk sugar giving a more palate-coating feel than most DIPAs give.

Overall, this is another feather in the DIPA hat of the Floyds. Like Blackheart, this is a nice departure, not a gimmick, but something different enough to separate it from the two more standard DIPAs.

06-21-2011 01:53:38 | More by EricCioe
SwiftyMcBeer

3.78/5  rDev -10.8%

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I feel like this was a below Three-Floyds effort for Three-Floyds. To be fair, they make some of my favorite beers so this was still quality brew. Maybe it was the lactose involved which turned me off. It was too sweet or didn't have enough hops bite for me, not quite sure. I would drink it again, just wouldn't rush back to it.

08-24-2010 04:35:47 | More by SwiftyMcBeer
DefenCorps

Oregon

3.88/5  rDev -8.5%

On tap at Paradiso in Dupont last night.

Pouring a hazy orange/mango in color, this beer has a nice off-white head with good retention and nice lacing. The nose is quite good. While sweeter than I like my IPAs, this is still good with plenty of tropical fruit with mango in particular, with some citrus (orange) and a definite malt character, this is solid. The lactose is an interesting accent here. The palate opens with a juicy hop character with tropical fruit, citrus and a moderate malt sweetness. Medium in body with moderate carbonation, this beer has some sweetness on the finish with the lactose character being noticeable. Hop character is moderate and mostly flavor with low bitterness. Solid stuff, I enjoyed my 12oz glass, but wouldn't drink too much

07-25-2010 15:28:00 | More by DefenCorps
BEERchitect

Kentucky

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

I don't know what 'Apocalypse Cow' means, but I know what one tastes like. Turns out quite bitter... with with the wholesome goodness of hoppy citrus and tropical fruits.

Juicy aromas of tropical appricots, pinapple, and mangos are mixed with sharp grapefruit and tangerines. A soft, very soft, caramel scent rides just underneath the showcase of hop aromas.

Deep orange and with a murky haze, the beer is much more opaque than expected even for a big IPA. Light carbonation fuels a stubborn, froathy, but low lying head of ivory foam. A veyr sturdy and masculine look.

Flavors return once again to the massive hop profile. Grapefruit, oranges, mangos, pineapples, and appricots all swirl together in a zesty and mouthwatering taste. Complex and powerful with a bold bitterness that works hard not to interfere with the hop flavor. Light caramels, light breads/dough, and a yeasty quality may be a result of the added lactose- not as sweet as expected but with a non-descript malty flavor that avoids syrup or cloying taste.

Very creamy and full early on but when the combined dryness of the hops and alcohol rise at mid palate, the beer turns more crisp, clean, and refreshing despite the gravities and sugars involved.

It turns out that the lactose adds more body and simplistic malt character in place of extra caramel flavors and sweetness, making the beer creamier and cleaner- I didn't really see that comming. Still, the beer cleans up well going into the finish for that refreshing finish of citrus and tropical fruits.

07-25-2010 06:33:58 | More by BEERchitect
robwestcott

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

tapped at yogis for Indiana beer week.

from the tap a hazy honey orange to a 12oz snifter with a 1/2 finger long lasting head leaving nice lace.

strong aroma of tropical fruit followed by pine and citrus.

fairly thick and syrupy to the tongue on the first few sips, tasting of pine and citrus hops. sweet forward followed by a medium bitter.

smooth, but bitter.

drinkable ? I suppose, but I'll stop with one -- will be popping a bottle in a few days.

07-15-2010 22:59:06 | More by robwestcott
DAllspaw

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%

Served in tulip at 3F brewpub. Light orange, with some haziness but definitely looks substantial in the glass. Nice 1 inch off-white head and incredible lacing, very sticky.

Smell was everything you'd want from a double, loads of citruis and pine, but not a grapefruit bomb either.

Taste was out of this world. Tons going on with the hops and malt but I never tasted any alocohol, likely a product of the lactose, which greatly smoothed out ths taste and frankly enabled me to taste more of what's in there. .

I have a new favorite from 3F. I only wished they sold in growlers, this is incredible.

07-15-2010 16:11:52 | More by DAllspaw
Lintyfresh

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The color was light yellow-orange with a nice haze to it. My dad held it up to the sunlight from the window at the Three Floyds Brewpub and noted that it looked like a more yellow version of Blue Moon.

The smell was excellent. It had all the usual aroma associated with a DIPA.

The taste was also exceptional. Like the Dreadnaught (my baseline for any DIPA), the high alcohol content was hidden very well. The strong hops definitely came out in this, and the lactose sugar was noticeable in the finish.

The mouthfeel was warmer than with most DIPAs I've had on tap, but the temperature was normal. I wonder if this was from the lactose sugar. It surprised me how well that went with the taste, as I usually like my DIPAs to be as cold as possible.

Again, the lactose sugar adds a nice finish that makes this more drinkable than a beer with this alcohol content should be.

Overall this is an excellent beer to try if you're a Three Floyds follower like myself. The bottle artwork is great, and this beer is great bottled. But it's even better on tap, with a smoother mouthfeel and a slightly stronger aroma.

07-13-2010 01:01:02 | More by Lintyfresh
hansgruber

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

At the brewpub served into a snifter..

Hazy orange color with a very fluffy one finger head and great lacing.

Huge orange citrusy notes initially. Smells lovely. The nose kinda died down and was not as intense while drinking.

Orange, citrusy, slight bitterness, very smooth. Bitterness lingers and lingers
No sweetness detected from lactose. Just adds to the overall smoothness.

Carbonation is high, bit too prickly even towards the bottom Very smooth and pretty full body. An almost creamy texture as it warms.

07-09-2010 06:48:54 | More by hansgruber
fear025

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

Aroma:Tons and tons of grapefruit.

Appearance:This beer is very orange in color, and it's pretty hazy. The foam lingers a long time.

Taste:Heavy citrusy hops in the foretaste. This is a hugely bitter beer, that showcases what a DIPA can be. As a homebrewer, I've experienced that dry hops can taste a whole lot different than the flavor they eventually impart, in this beer though, the flavor comes through like some of those dry hops that I've smelled in the past. The midtaste of this beer is very sweet from the lactose, and the sweetness stays on my tongue through the aftertaste, with the hops still very much present.

Mouthfeel:Very thick and rich mouthfeel. It's got enough carbonation to

Drinkability:This is a fantastic beer that really showcases what Three Floyds does well: Hops!

07-06-2010 16:17:31 | More by fear025
yeahnatenelson

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

Appearance -- Pours a cloudy gold with one finger of white, bubbly head that quickly dissipates into a thin fog. Lacing covered every square inch of the interior surface of the glass.

Smell -- Tropical fruit and floral hops, cane sugar and melon sweetness, some faint caramel and nutty roast aroma.

Taste -- As in the nose, the hops are predominately in the floral and tropical fruit vein, mostly aromatic but offering up enough hop bitterness to round out the lactose sweetness. Malts are sweet and faintly roasted: caramel, cane sugar, honeydew. On the sweeter side of balanced for style, but well-crafted.

Mouthfeel -- Easily the smoothest IPA, single or double, that I have ever had. Medium in body, moderate creamy carbonation. Lingering feel is dry and a bit chalky.

Drinkability -- An IIPA brewed with lactose comes out of left field and may not necessarily be your cup of tea. That said, this is an expertly crafted beer that provides a very unique experience.

This beer was a pleasure to drink, but I did dock points for straying from style in taste and mouthfeel.

07-05-2010 23:27:37 | More by yeahnatenelson
emerge077

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

10 ounce pour, into a small flute at Brixies in Brookfield.

A small glass was the perfect size, honestly I don't think I could finish a bomber. Dreadnaught on the other hand...

The color was golden leaning slightly towards orange. It's clarity was high. The foam was amazing, both in texture and visually. It was super creamy and soft, a nice compliment to each sip. The sides of the glass were literally coated, it was a very dense and sticky foam.

Aroma was off the charts tropical, dried papaya, mango, citrus and dank green hop vegetation. This aspect was where Apocalypse Cow mooed heartily.

Feel was moderately slick and resinous, palate coating and dense. The vegetal hop element was dominant, and ebbed with a moderate leafy bitterness. The lactose sugar sweetness was also dominant, giving the impression of hop candy. There was some of the fruit present from the aroma, but there could have been more. Alcohol felt like 10%, a little hot, limiting the drinkability side of things.

For now I prefer Dreadnaught, but this was fun to try. The art by Dan Grzeca is pretty awesome too.

07-10-2009 16:10:56 | More by emerge077
fbomb13

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%

This beer is very aromatic, tasty and fullbodied. This is definitely a must have for IPA and beer lovers, alike. The color and aroma suuplement the taste of this beer tremendously. I recommend
enjoying this beer in a pint class or less, seeing as it is a slow dri ker and the alcohol content is plenty for any beer.

06-30-2009 01:49:58 | More by fbomb13