2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Apocalypse Cow - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Apocalypse CowApocalypse Cow

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Availability: Summer

9.5-11.0% ABV, 100 IBUs - This complex double India pale ale has an intense citrus and floral hop aroma balanced by a velvety malt body which has been augmented with lactose milk sugar. With this different take on an IPA we have brewed an ale that is both pleasing to drink and, once again, “not normal.” Cheers! June release.

(Beer added by: mdm46410 on 11-23-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,362 | Reviews: 429 | Show All Ratings:
Maction

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

A: Golden brown (and delicious?) semi-opaque beer, with big mobile bubbles moving up to a frothy two inch head, which leaves a good amount of lace, but dies quickly after the pour.

S: I smell oranges, roses, creamy candy, and notes of hay.

T: The taste is sweet and acidic at first, like orange or peach bitters, followed by a smoother grain flavor, with more intense citrus notes on the finish.

M: This is a chewy beer, but ashy. The finish is both coating and drying to the inside of my mouth.

D: This is and intense and almost perfumey beer, but the cottony feeling in my mouth afterwards kept it from being outstanding.

06-23-2009 17:51:09 | More by Maction
dbc5

3.86/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bomber poured into Barely Creek wine glass.

A: Pours a golden yellow with a 1.5 finger head with a moderate pour. Head sticks around forever with nice lacing all the way down the glass. Excellent looking beer.

S: Smell is all hops up front. The malt backbone comes in a bit later, but you have to work to get past the intense hop aroma in this one. A huge citrus presence. Not picking up the creaminess from the lactose that others describe in the nose.

T: Hops are still big in this one, but not as dominant as I anticipated from the nose. This is where I am really picking up the lactose presence (it also contributes significantly to the mouthfeel). Light toast, lactose sweetness, and citrus hops.

M: A thicker body than your typical IPA. As mentioned above, the lactose is apparent here. Moderate carbonation. Surprised to pick up a bit of alcohol warmth from this one.

O: A solid beer, but not a great beer. I love Alpha King, Zombie Dust, Gumballhead, Dreadnaught, and Artic Panzer Wolf, but this one doesn't do it for me.

06-21-2013 03:17:23 | More by dbc5
miketd

3.65/5  rDev -13.9%

Bonus from Stfun thanks Josh! Pours a gold/orange with a creamy off white head. Aroma is tons of citrus and pine with some other tropical fruit. Hmm, I was expecting the flavor to be very bitter, but it's very subtle. Smooth and creamy... like a fruit cocktail. Good, but different. Full mouth and easy to drink.

07-26-2009 12:24:21 | More by miketd
emagana

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

received this from a trade(Likathahops) in a pint bottle. thanks

A- POurs a straw yellow with small hints of orange. two finger white fluffy head that slowly brings down some lacing. cloudy! reminds me of a hefeweisen

S- Aromas sweet apricot and stone fruits. Honey also dominates the aromas. honey suckle comes to mind. really enjoy the smells.

T- I dont know how old this bottle was but it starts off with some passion fruit and small hints of pear ans peach. some undeline tones of sweet honey. not over powering and balanced.

D- drinks very well. this is one of my favorite beers by far. i need to seek this out more often.

10-17-2010 22:47:56 | More by emagana
beerhobo22

Nebraska

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

WOW!!!
Very intense hop aroma. Citrus and tropical fruit aromas (Mango and peach) hit you right away. A light golden color with a good white head. Head retention is very good. The beer is served in a tulip glass which helps with aroma and head retention. A medium malt sweetness is well balanced with the hops. The beer is listed at 100 IBUs, but it is not overly astringent. A good mouthfeel (med body), but not overly sweet as to be cloying. This is a very drinkable beer even with such a high ABV.

From the tasting sheet:
"This complex double IPA has an intense citrus and floral hop aroma balance by a velvety malt body which has been augmented with lactose milk sugar. With this different take on an IPA we have brewed an ale that is both pleasing to drink and, once again, "not normal". 100IBU, 9.5%ABV."

06-14-2009 18:27:09 | More by beerhobo22
nbree00

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

A: Pretty low carbonation on this one but definitely not flat. Has a nice cloudiness that compliments the orangish-honey color well.

S: Nice nose on this one, notes of graham crackers, brown sugar, orange blossom, heavy cream and caramel. Really inviting for a double IPA which can sometimes be astringent on the nose.

T: Pleasantly surprised on the flavors here. The lactose integrates nicely giving a subtle creaminess. Flavors of orange cream soda, short bread, caramel, pie crust, lavender and a hint of pine.

M: Above average texture and mouthfeel for me. Could maybe use a little more carbonation but it's so lush it doesn't matter and glides over the palate with a certain silkiness.

O: Overall I am very pleasantly surprised with this. The lactose is a great addition and really rounds out the flavors. Balance is key for me on IPA's and this one certainly achieves that. Recommended!

07-28-2011 03:03:27 | More by nbree00
tripelhops

Missouri

3.9/5  rDev -8%

Got this in a trade from BarryMFBurton-thanks!
poured into a tulip glass, color is a hazy copper gold, thick creamy off white head drops quickly leaving soem laving, but a swirl of the glass foams it up again. A combination of floral, pine and citrus notes rise out of the glass. The taste is sweet and bitter all at once, but the sweetness tast from seat. The lactose gives it a full, silky, creamy mouthfeel, sort of toning down the bitternes from the hops. Intersting brew, for sure, kind of like a light Dreadnaught, sweetened up.

08-12-2011 03:03:38 | More by tripelhops
elginirishpunk

3.98/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured from 22oz bottle. Pours lightly cloudy, and golden in color. Definitly doesn't reasemble most Double IPAs I've had. Light sense of citrus, malt sugars and flouralness. Very light carbonation and very complex hoppy aromas escape while drinking. But finishes with a very palet cleansing that sets it apart from the rest.

08-20-2011 19:39:15 | More by elginirishpunk
TJBurgess

3.78/5  rDev -10.8%

#19

22oz into perfect pint.

A: almost like watered down orange juice in a glass. The 2 inch aggressively poured head maintains a half inch for quite some time.

S: Nice citrus orange with a little hoppiness. Not overwhelming, but more subtle and understated than expected.

T: Wow. Didn't see that malt rush out to punch so hard! The strong bitterness is there, but lacks balance from hops. The malts are very caramely and overly dominant.

M/D: The mouthfeel is incredibly smooth and creamy. There is just something so thick that is atypical that I just can't get past. Once again, 3F changes the way we look at styles, but this is a near miss for me.

Cheers

07-10-2010 00:35:50 | More by TJBurgess
dc55110

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Thanks to iconoklaztor for the awesome trade.
Poured into a snifter, nice large frothy head that fairly quickly dissipates, leaving a fair amount of lacing. The color is a perfect burnt orange.
The aromas coming from this beer are amazing; citrus, pine, dank weed. Wonderful! I got a nostril full while inhaling too deeply.
The flavors follow the nose. Big citrus, grapefruit, tangerine. A nice piney resin finish. I don't get much if any of the lactose, other than a nice sweet balance to the hops bitterness and bite.
Clean and crisp with just enough lingering residue to remind you of the wonderful elixir that has recently passed through your lips.
If this was available to me it would be a regular purchase. This is up there with some of the best DIPA's I've ever had.

07-21-2011 02:08:00 | More by dc55110
kdmcguire10

4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22 ounce bottle poured into a tulip.

Appearance: Lazy, Hazy Orange. One-finger creamy.

Smell: Tons of tropical fruit, well-balanced with the pine. A certain sweetness to it.

Taste: Orange Peel, Peach, Caramel, Sweet. Very Smooth for 11%. Slightly bitter on the finish. So well balanced!

Mouthfeel: Silk-like texture, medium body. Damn smooth.

Overall: Wow. The folks at FFF know how to pull off miracles. The lactose sugars make this slightly creamy. One of a kind DIPA. Get this one if you can!

08-05-2011 01:39:49 | More by kdmcguire10
IrishHockey

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%

I think this is my favorite beer that I have had from Three Floyd's. It's kinda like a kicked up, sweeter Zombie Dust IMO. Has some citrus notes to it and its kinda sweet, but not over powering sweet. I paired this with the pulled pork sandwhich from the brew pub (I recommend this too).
This is one that I would have to be careful with though. It drinks easy and has a fairly high alcohol content.

Served on tap at the brew pub in a snifter 8/2012

10-16-2012 14:04:24 | More by IrishHockey
Davepoolesque

3.83/5  rDev -9.7%

Served out of a 22oz Bottle, No bottle on date.
Received in a trade, thank you jampics2.

A: Burnt orange, lots of cascading bubbles. Tight, slightly off white head.
S: Slightly yeasty, sweet a little bit of citrus. Very muted smell on this one.
T: Malty sweetness up front finished off with some pine resin. Not what I would consider a juicy DIPA. The alcohol was completely hidden.
M: The carbonation helps to coat your mouth in bitter, sticky, resinous glory. Full bodied that finished very dry.
O: My first thought was this tasted like a bigger, fuller version of Bell's Two Hearted. I had this at slightly below cellar temp. Next time I'll start it off a bit colder and see where the flavors go from there as it warms.

07-11-2013 20:31:31 | More by Davepoolesque
RTrain12

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

22oz. bomber poured into my 3F's pint glass.

A: Pours a cloudy yellowish haze with a off white head measuring in at about 1/4" of a inch. Head faded quickley leaving behind some lacing. Lacing sticks around the entire beer.

S: Citrus, pine, grapefruit, and sweet malt.

T: Sweet, light on the malt side, citrus, then followed up by some grapefruit. I must say that the 11% ABV is hidden well in this one. But still feel a little burn as it makes its way down.

M: This/medium bodied. Some prickles on the tonge. Finishes clean with a maly after tatse.

D: Very high drinkability on this one! I wasnt the biggest fan od DIPA, but as of yesterday I think I have changed my mind. Thanks to Alewatcher for that one!

09-16-2010 15:15:14 | More by RTrain12
YumYumGumGum

4.53/5  rDev +6.8%

Three Floyds Brewing Co. is the bomb.

A: Great looking, dark yellow body with more lacing than you can imagine from a 22oz bottle into a bar glass. Two fingers on the first glass of pure white head.

S: Very smooth hop scent, not overwhelming with bitter notes, just smoother, like a cascade-kind of dry hopping effect might have. Lots of floral which I got just before smelling the hops.

T: Great IPA, very sweet, high recommend fresh. This beer didn't need a single day more of conditioning. Pretty different as far as DIPA's go. I haven't had one that I'd compare this to. This is a great one to include in a tasting for novices, because its very easy to breakdown and the taste is wonderful and sweet.

M: Sticky! This is a ultra heavy lacing sticky beer with a small amount of sediment. Very different but enjoyable!

O: Buy this for any occasion from high gravity tastings to summer day drinking. Kind of expensive, bout $13 plus shipping, but a great surprise! Worth the cash.

08-22-2011 15:38:55 | More by YumYumGumGum
injuredreserve

Louisiana

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

Appearance: Pours golden with thin lacy head.

S: Piney hops, grapefruit, lemon zest.

T: Very hoppy bite with a bitterness linger. Definie booziness.

M: Medium body that starts sharp, and finishes mild.

D: Be hard to drink more than 1 in a sitting.

09-28-2010 20:34:32 | More by injuredreserve
imscotty

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: A nice cloudy golden color. Poured with a fair head that died down slowly. Nice lingering lacing. Medium carbonation.

S: Pleasant light malty hoppy floral citrus sweet aromas.

T: Nicely malty and complex. Raisons, floral hops, citrus, slightly bitter, well balanced. The carbonation lingers on the tongue with a nice light bitter, sweet finish.

M: Medium body, finely carbonated

Overall: A great beer overall. On the sweeter maltier end of the DIPA spectrum. The alcohol is amazingly well hidden. Very drinkable and tasty. I think I prefer the Dreadnaught, but that is not a slight. I highly recommend Apocalypse Cow.

01-26-2013 03:19:45 | More by imscotty
CWBlues

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip.

A: This is an unbelievable golden orange. I mean, this thing is like a sunset. I could stare at it for hours. Fortunately for all of us, though, I'm thirsty, and this is getting drank.

S: Citrus and pine, sweet malts. Smells pretty smooth, if that makes sense.

T: This is interesting. Probably one of the more complex IIPAs I've had. Citrus and pine up front, but there's a hit of alcohol in the middle. It rounds out with a milky, malty finish, with a smidge of hoppy bitterness, but the hops are definitely mellowed by the lactose sugar.

M: It feels creamy, which is an odd sensation in an IPA (DIPA/IIPA/whatever). It's incredibly smooth.

O: This is a fantastic IIPA, and it's different. There's nothing I don't like about this brew. The lactose sugar adds an entire dimension to this beer, and I love it. You should try this at least once.

07-03-2011 01:19:11 | More by CWBlues
latackbeer

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Amazing I just reviewed a Great Helles Lager and Jumped to Double IPA but I'm always a Hop Head just need something else one and a while!

3 Floyd's is there one beer that is just awful!?!

Poured into a snifter glass. Big WHITE head fell to a finger left. With great lacing sticking to the side of the glass. TONs of carbonation!! Smells of citrus and caramel base competing. Taste is sweet, a little malt bitterness finishes. Highly drinkable definitely could enjoy a few of these!!

Glad I grabbed this when I did, I almost didn't but a customer of mine almost cleaned me out and I asked him to save some for myself and others!

07-13-2011 03:42:08 | More by latackbeer
vdoz3

Oregon

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

I was a little let down with my first impression of this beer so I decided to post a review to hammer out my concerns with it.

The body is enticingly orange, hazy and unfiltered. Kind of like the body of Odell's IPA for those who've experienced it.
I realize the beer is past its prime so I'm not surprised that the nose isn't bursting with hops, same for the taste. The nose instead gives off a sticky, resinous, orangey pine flavor.
The taste is mostly made up of sweet malts and ends on a particularly sweet note which I attribute to the lactose.

The mouthfeel, while smooth, is not particularly luscious, which is what I was expecting from the lactose, and I think is what I was hoping for (and is throwing me off). Plus, it ends on a really sweet, sticky note (a pet peeve of mine).

Overall this beer is definitely tasty, and at 11% it definitely hides its alcohol nicely. But it's not coming together for me into the finished product I was hoping for. Oh well.

11-14-2010 06:24:11 | More by vdoz3
Patchmaster

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

Split this with fellow BA buddies. This was all our first taste of FFF Cow and didn't let down.

A - Pored a golden brown. Had some white lacing on the glass. Decent size head to it.

S - Very hoppy! With a good bit of citrus fine smell. I love the florally aroma to a good DIPA. This one didn't disappoint.

T - The hops definitely controlled the beer. Hops stand out the most. A little bitter towards the end of the drink. Didn't have the smooth finish that a like in a strong DIPA.

M - This may not be down my alley for a DIPA, but it gets the job done. Don't know if I would gravitate toward it again for an encore, but well worth the experience

D - Definitely worth a ride. I applaud the creativity and thats what keeps me coming back to 3F, but would prefer the APW or Dreadnaught over this one.

07-10-2010 17:04:54 | More by Patchmaster
DmouthCaliBrewz

New Hampshire

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

poured into a tulip. Date your bottles douchebags...

A: Pours a slightly hazy yellow-orange that really glows. Strong and milky head - not fizzy at all - that receded quickly to a small film

S: Spicy and Herbal hops with slight citrus and a hint of dark fruits....don't know if thats from the malt or hop aroma. Definitely get a heavy sticky-sweetness mixing in with the floral aroma, which I am pretty sure is the lactose. MMM this is not an aroma bomb but smells really fuggin good.

T: Sweet and floral hops on the front: orange, grapefruit, and a bit of melon (probly lactose and floral hop combo making my brain get melon). Real interesting sweetness to it, really digging the lactose addition it is very unique and not overdone at all. This is on the sweeter side for the style, but not in a cloying or overdone way...*cough* knee deep DIPAs *cough*

M: Definitely heavy, but great velvety carbonation. Slightly sticky.

O: This was nothing short of awesome. Never had an IPA with lactose before, but it was super noticeable and equally enjoyable. Expected this to be either average, or way overdone, but it was executed beautifully. Super sweet, but done well. Only complaint I have is that I would have liked a bit more on the nose.

07-08-2013 03:55:15 | More by DmouthCaliBrewz
ModemMisuser

Indiana

Have had this twice now - once @ FFF and once @ Black Sparrow in Lafayette.

Color is cloudy orange/yellow. Scent is grapefruit!!!, maybe a little pineappley... tropical fruit, basically. Taste is fairly hard to describe - grapefruit/pineapple for sure. But the lactose changes it a bit, but not in the way you might think. It adds a sweetness mainly - definitely not a malt sweetness; you can tell it's something else. Mouthfeel is somewhat creamy - not like a milk stout - but definitely creamier than a normal IPA.

Good beer. The lactose doesn't come through overmuch for me, but it still adds something that other IPAs definitely don't have. I would probably choose this over a "normal" IPA, but as a non-IPA-head, I'd probably opt for another style anyway.

07-06-2011 16:07:04 | More by ModemMisuser
plinythethirsty

Kentucky

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Lacing head. Fruity (citrus) aroma.
To my palate, the taste doesn't deviate vastly from Three Floyds Dreadnaught. Lots of hops. Very fruity. Mango and pineapple. Some pine. A hint of peach.
It seemed "creamier" than a Dreadnaught, but maybe my judgment's been compromised by reading the label.
I doubt American IPA fans will be disappointed. (But, if you like it too much, it could get you into trouble at its abv.)

08-14-2010 02:51:19 | More by plinythethirsty
leschkie

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

22 oz bottle courtesy of hansgruber. Thanks so much Tom this delicious treat! Can't wait to have it, heard really great things about this one.

Poured into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a hazy dried apricot with a frothy puce head traditional in DIPAs with fairly decent retention. Scattered webs of lace decorate the glass as the head dissipates into a thin ring.

Smell: Immediate floral and citrus aroma, followed immediately with honey, malt, something that reminds me of sugared milk, and black pepper. Very interesting, yet very nice. Aroma is a little weaker than I was looking for though.

Taste: Now I know why the cow is a sacred animal around the world. After having this, I would seriously consider readjusting my belief system. A delicate union of citrus hops, malt, honey, and sweet milk with a slight bite at the finish. This one brings back sweet memories of my first experience with Hopslam. Thank you FFF, thank you for giving me something to hold me over and enjoy until winter.

Mouthfeel: Thicker texture than a typical DIPA, which is right up my alley. Carbination is near-perfection.

Overall: This is one damn good tasty DIPA. In my opinion, the best that FFF has to offer. I wish it had a little more citrus to it, but you can't always get what you want I guess. I milked this cow in less than 10 minutes. That's how good it is!

07-19-2011 01:39:01 | More by leschkie