Apocalypse Cow - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Apocalypse CowApocalypse Cow

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: mdm46410 on 11-23-2008

9.5-11.0% ABV, 100 IBUs - This complex double India pale ale has an intense citrus and floral hop aroma balanced by a velvety malt body which has been augmented with lactose milk sugar. With this different take on an IPA we have brewed an ale that is both pleasing to drink and, once again, “not normal.” Cheers! June release.
Reviews: 475 | Hads: 2,024
3.81/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours yellow (watch for the sediment). Has a floral smell. Taste is a bit odd. Almost like hops and malt are fighting it out. Mouthfeel is a bit waxy. Not a bad beer. Just odd.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bomber to 22 oz snifter.

Apperance - This beer is beautiful, its like a murky golden orange with a great looking 1 finger head that stays.

Smell - Extremely floral and citrusy, I can pick up honey, flowers, earthy smells, citrus as in orange and grapefruit. A nice sweet malt smell can be caught on the end, this is a nice smelling beer.

Taste - Really digging the sweet candy like beginning, that turns very earthy and grassy. On the end is an awesome bitter citrus finish, picking up grapefruit and honey. This is a kickass brew.

Mouthfeel - This beer feels good on the tongue, almost silky, with a nice bitter finish, could use a bit more carbonation though.

Drinkability - Great for a beer of its size, really drinkable and different, I could enjoy 2 bombers of this probably. I don't know since I only have one, but I would try.

My first beer from 3Floyds.

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

I don't know if it's fair to judge a beer with a bit of age on it, but even a 2009 release of this Three Floyds brew is hitting the spot with some mexican food as an after work snack.

Appearance--Poured into a Duvel tulip and the foamy head is not fading away .. very impressive looking beer.

Smell--Reminds me a bit of Dreadnaught. I detect mango and other fruitiness.

Taste/Mouthfeel--Again, reminds me of Dreadnaught, though the age on this one prevents me from saying it's on par with Dreadnaught because when Dreadnaught is fresh, there's no beer like it.

Drinkability--Very high. I will need to review this one again soon with a 2010 bottle. Still a very tasty treat from my mini fridge of beer goodness.

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

A fresh bomber poured into my sam a perfect pint, it's pours a nice clean dark gold. With at least a finger of thick head that is leaving heavy lacing all over the glass. It has this fresh citrus smell that makes you think of a freshly cracked orange. The taste follows the nose at first but it ends with a sweet taste that you don't expect it's not overpowering but it's present. This is a heavy dipa, it has one of the heaviest bodie for a dipa I've had, it's nice cause it's not that high in abv only 9.5 but it's just so thick of a feeling you gotta pace yourself on the whole bomber it's like eating lunch. Overall im glad I got 2 cause I'm gonna enjoy the next one in about two weeks. As expect 3 Floyds comes through with another stellar Dipa.

3.95/5  rDev -5.7%

Picked this up from my local beer store having never heard of the brew before. Great presentation with a Picasso-esque picture on the front of the bottle. Poured into a 3F half litre glass and shared with a friend.

Appearance is quite nice with tones of opaque amber with very citrusy hues as well. Hues are reminiscent of peaches and the one inch head is an off-white/eggshell color. Viscosity is decent but not as clingy as I would like a DIPA to be.

Nose is a great citrus-based DIPA. Grapefruit and nectarines penetrate the nostrils. A little malt comes through but the thought of sugar-covered grapefruit for breakfast comes to mind when thinking of the aroma with just a hint of candy: perhaps the smell of grape nerds candy.

Taste hits heavy with sweets, warming alcohol, grapefruit, tangerine, nectarine and a sweet milk like taste. It's such a strong and different taste that I almost want to dislike it but I can't... Candy sugar taste but not so over-powering that the malts don't come through. The brew is a bit off-balanced for the style with it leaning towards the hops: Heavy, but super-sweet flavors, bring out the actual flavors and the aroma of the hops so much that I just don't want to mark down for it.

Mouthfeel is great and almost feels reminiscent of drinking apricot juice. Medium body and clean without deep or unpleasant hop bitterness.

I would definitely be up for trying this beer again. Sessionability is low due to high ABV and it's unique flavor. A good brew, all in all, but so different you'll be left wondering what exactly you were drinking... in a good way.

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from the bomber into a tripel glass. Very nice orange/amber color with two finger head that takes a while to dissipate and laces from the rim of the glass to the bottom. As expected, the hops are there right upfront on the nose, with hints of fruit. Somehow I smell something almost like cherries. The hops do hit hard on your first sip, but then mellow out with the lactose. Pleasantly suprised that I was expecting to be hit over the head with pine tree taste but it jumped back from that. The bitterness comes back on the throat and leaves an aftertaste, though not a bad one. You can definitely pick out the the high alcohol "imperialness".

I would not say I am a huge fan of this style, but for me this is surprisingly good. Tried it solely based on 3F reputation and it's limited release and am glad I did!

4.39/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A hazy golden appearance. Nice strong tropical and citrus aroma. Similar flavor with strong fruit but also a big milky sweetness. High bitterness early and in the middle, which fades quickly but then comes back a little at the end. The aftertaste fades a lot by the end of the pint. Really smooth and good mouthful, alcohol is covered well.

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass. Pours a hazy golden orange color with about a finger of fluffy, off-white head.

Nose is full of floral and citrus notes. Orange zest, grapefruit, and mango are what I am picking up on mostly. There is a slight sweetness, probably a result of the lactose.

The first thing I notice upon my first sip was the sweetness from the lactose sugar. It definitely adds a slight variant that I'm not used to tasting in a DIPA, but it's not a bad thing. After it sits on your tongue for a little bit, some of the citrus hops that were present in the nose come out to play. The sugary sweetness comes back for the finish and lingers on the tongue long after the beer is gone.

The lactose makes this a little thicker feeling than the typical DIPA and the carbonation level is light to medium. I thought it was a little overly sweet, which knocked the drinkability down just a bit. The 9.5% ABV is hidden quite well. A fairly good DIPA, but a little too sweet for my personal preference when it comes to the style. Glad I was able to try it, but probably not one I'd buy frequently.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

A- A pleasant looking beer without the haze of your typical IIPA. A nice amount of head and good lacing. A nice stream of bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass.

S- The nose here is very unique. The hope aroma comes through however it is tempered, balanced by the presence of a smooth vanilla.

T- Again the hops hit you first and it is mellowed out by the lactose milk sugars. Some good citrus comes through, orange peel, some mandarin.

M- Crisp, with a good amount of hop-burn. A little more lingering possibly due to the lactose.

O- A really nice beer. Not mind blowing but impressively different.

4.46/5  rDev +6.4%

A- One of the most impressive looking beers I've ever poured. Glowing amber yellow with a perfect one finger white head. Massive amounts of lacing, and great retention.

S- Nice scents mostly piney hops such as simcoe or Amarillo.

T- Marvelous amount of bitter. Perfectly masks the extreme abv percentage. I wish I could say I taste the lactose but I really can't, perhaps some excess sweetness but I can't point that its from the lactose.

M- Fine mouth feel, super smooth, leaves a thin coat but doesn't cling too long.

D- I suppose the beer isn't the most drinkable because of the high abv but I think of that as sessionable, where as drinkable constitutes how much of this stuff I want to drink. Its a great beer that I could drink all night long I should have bought 4 bottles.

4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

A - Poured a yellowish orange with a white fluffy head

S - Smells of Orange rind, floral, spice, hops, sweet candy

T - Orange rind, hops, floral, sweet caramel malt, a little pine

M - Moderate carbonation, full body

D - SUPER balanced IPA. Sweet and hoppy. Very nice one from three floyds

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Thanks to iconoklaztor for the awesome trade.
Poured into a snifter, nice large frothy head that fairly quickly dissipates, leaving a fair amount of lacing. The color is a perfect burnt orange.
The aromas coming from this beer are amazing; citrus, pine, dank weed. Wonderful! I got a nostril full while inhaling too deeply.
The flavors follow the nose. Big citrus, grapefruit, tangerine. A nice piney resin finish. I don't get much if any of the lactose, other than a nice sweet balance to the hops bitterness and bite.
Clean and crisp with just enough lingering residue to remind you of the wonderful elixir that has recently passed through your lips.
If this was available to me it would be a regular purchase. This is up there with some of the best DIPA's I've ever had.

4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a hazy orange with one finger of off white head. Excellent lacing clinging to the glass. Aroma is initially very fruity and sweet, but seems to dissipate quickly. Taste is initially sweet, moving to citrus and finally piney hops. Medium bodied, well-carbonated, and creamy. Very drinkable and little note of alcohol.

Very well done overall, but a doesn't top Pliny the Elder in my book.

3.56/5  rDev -15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

A-Poured into my Duvel tulip. Bright golden orange with a little haze. No retention, but good lacing.

S-I think this bottle may be a little old because the hops arent what they should be. I smell mostly malt, little pine hops.

T-Similiar to the smell,malty and slight pine hops. Little disapointing from the other reviews. Slight lactose flavor.

M-Love the mouthfeel, the lactose creates almost a "base" feel, very slippery. Its fun and I like it.

D-Dissapointing, as the bottle is old. If they brew this again, I will try and get a fresh one and review again. However, I still liked it, so I can only imagine what it was fresh.

4.64/5  rDev +10.7%

Alright first review

I just got lucky enough to pick this one up tonight along with a another bomber from fff.Three floyds has changed my perspective on beer forever and I will be reviewing alot of their brews because they're 5 minutes away from my house!
Lucky me!
Alright on to the cow...

App.- Hazy amber great look the head was about an inch and lasted for a good 10 minutes.

Smell- Smell is fantastic ! you can smell the citrus kick right off the bat along with the sweetness of the lactose milk sugar.

taste- First it starts tangy and citrusly , and very quickly you taste the sweetness of malt and milk sugar , it's mind blowing. Dreadnaughts cousin , but i think better.

mouthfeel- pretty average for a double IPA a little thick, I'd say about medium or a little above that

Drinkability- GREAT! for something this strong wow it drinks so well. a bomber of it will make your blood flow thats for sure.

Overall- If your a fan of dreadnaught its a must try.

4.48/5  rDev +6.9%

Initial appearance after pouring was nice creamy 1 finger head, almost a copper hue. I could barely see through as it was quite cloudy and thick. The smell was a hoppy citrus but then let up into a more malty and sugary smell.

The taste of this is where I almost fell in love. I love IPA's and DIPA's but this one although on the sweet side has such a distinct taste and texture that doesnt get duplicated anywhere I have experienced as of yet.

The slick creamy feel starts out and then a hoppy bite, followed by the lactose sugar and malty tones are balanced out very nicely! Chewy oranges come to mind, with a bit of mango cream.

Overall this is a very very tasty brew. Coming from a 22 oz. you don't need much more than this in one sitting as it definately quenches the palate and the heart of an IPA lover. For the style I definately rate this brew up there with quality and uniqueness not found elsewhere. Ten thumbs up - oh and did I mention Oranges? Definately on the short list for me to pick up again.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

A: cloudy orange with a 2 finger head that dissipates to pretty much nothing with some decent laciing

S: smells great. killer citrus in the nose and just that lovely hops smell that is expected in a double IPA. has a good sweet smell in there too

T: A little bit more of a pine hop comes through along with the citrus notes. The body is real nice and creamy and different. the hops dont attack my tongue like usual and it allows for some easier drinking but still get that huge flavor somehow

M: Nice and creamy on the mouth. Carb is pretty much perfect the the style.

D: 11% is awesome for the drinkability. I would not of guessed that by the way its going down so easily.Like i said before the lactose is kind of getting a coating on my mouth so the hops arent affecting my speed of drink.

3.94/5  rDev -6%

Apocalypse Cow is a big fat, sweet beer, from the addition of lactose, but its got citrus and orange hops bones to back up that heft. As the beer warms the alcohol content becomes apparent but otherwise the 11% disappears.

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%

A- golden amber with two inches of foam. Phenomenal retention.

S- some grassy notes but a little sweet and citrusy

T- incredibly smooth. Terrific balance of hops. Sweet.

M- very smooth definitely hoppy, leaves the mouth dry.

O- Absolutely great beer. 3F rarely disappoints.

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured into Bruery Tulip
22 oz bottle
thanks to CarleyRaes for this brew

Color: Hazy bright yellow/orange. Forms a frothy white one finger head as well. Leaves behind a good amount of lacing.

Nose: Big time citrus and fruit: Oranges, grapefruit, tart tangerine, and peach. pleasant sweetness from the malt and lactose sugar. The hop body brings forth some pine and wet Forest smells.

Palate: Balanced between the sweetness and hoppiness. Full bodied and very drinkable, the carbonation is just right. petite waves of creaminess coat the tongue and then are washed away by the taste of fruit. Very very nice.

Finish: Long with some dryness. Wonderfully complex and sharp. Three Floyd's brewery really know how to use hop and each beer is always a surprise.

4.62/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy orange, with a hint towards redness. Thin white head.

Strong, not overbearing, hop presence that comes across as refreshing (like smelling lemon juice). The hop smell is a mixture of floral, citrus, and fruit. A very demure malt smell.

Starts with citrus hops, moves to the sweet, then before the bitter hop bit comes in it is almost a tea quality. This nebulous tea taste does seem to come from the shift of flavors to the bitter, and it is fantastic. It ends like a bitter IPA, like all Stone beers.

The hoppiness can coat your mouth pretty well, but the bitter makes it feel clean. Very refreshing on a warm day.

This kind of strikes me as a fraternal twin to Permanent Funeral, which has more sweet malt IIPA quality, where this one has a hop citrus bitter IIPA quality. Both fantastic, and excellent entry from FFF.

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured into tulips.

Really underwhelmed by this one compared to my experience with Dreadnaught. Not sure if it was the 'lacto sugars' or what, but this was too sweet with a thick, sticky, frothy mouthfeel that really turned me off. Some citrus and herbal tones, but not much complexity or drinkability.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

A- 4 Caramel golden color that is a little cloudy. Big fluffy off white 2 finger head on the pour that dissipates slowly. Moderately sticky, yet moderately slippery smooth lacing.

S- 4.5 Hops dominate the nose up front, and then there is an intricate blend of other tannins following that is very nice. I get pine, and then even more of a floral and tropical fruit aroma.

T- 4.5 Similar to the aroma, this has a nice hop flavor that is in the majority of the palate. There is more of a pine bite that follows the hops than I expected from the aroma, but it is very crisp and refreshing. On the way down it turns sweeter, perhaps from the lactose milk sugar, and is reminiscent of the floral and fruity scents I detected before. This is very well balanced in the end. I also get no heat from the brew.

M- 4 The Cow is lighter than I expected it to be in body; a shade under medium. It is definitely smooth though and has ample carbonation. It even has a slight creamy finish.

D- 4 The price tag alone would be enough to limit me to one bomber of the Cow on occasion, but this is a very good seasonal offering from TF. It smells and tastes great, and packs a sneaky punch that is warranted by the big brew. I'll look for it when it's released no doubt.

3.78/5  rDev -9.8%

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I feel like this was a below Three-Floyds effort for Three-Floyds. To be fair, they make some of my favorite beers so this was still quality brew. Maybe it was the lactose involved which turned me off. It was too sweet or didn't have enough hops bite for me, not quite sure. I would drink it again, just wouldn't rush back to it.

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

22 oz. bomber (sweet ass artwork, with no freshness) poured into the appropriate SN pint glass...not sure why the cow on the bottle only has one eye...maybe I should read a bit more into the apocalypse. I digress...

3 fingers of frothy off white head with great lacing-very sticky. Great head retention...hazy orange (almost amber) body.

Whoa! Pineapple and grapefruit assault the senses here. Massive hits of spicy and peppery hops with an underlying smell of sweet citrus. My kind of DIPA...very floral!

Sweet citrus notes up front...sweet, sweet, sweet! There is a subtle bitter finish with a small bit of vanilla, but mostly just sweet hops and spicy goodness. Complex yet simple...

Slick, oily, creamy, and smooth=perfection!

I can quaff this from this cow all day long!

I wanted to make this a complex review, but this is just a brew that you have to have for yourself. FFF has outdone themselves this time...it's almost like a mixture of Dreadnaught and Gumballhead...but what can I say, because FFF knows their hops!

Apocalypse Cow from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.