Apocalypse Cow - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Apocalypse CowApocalypse Cow

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: mdm46410 on 11-23-2008

9.5-11.0% ABV, 100 IBUs - This complex double India pale ale has an intense citrus and floral hop aroma balanced by a velvety malt body which has been augmented with lactose milk sugar. With this different take on an IPA we have brewed an ale that is both pleasing to drink and, once again, “not normal.” Cheers! June release.
Reviews: 471 | Hads: 1,966
4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured from the bomber into a tripel glass. Very nice orange/amber color with two finger head that takes a while to dissipate and laces from the rim of the glass to the bottom. As expected, the hops are there right upfront on the nose, with hints of fruit. Somehow I smell something almost like cherries. The hops do hit hard on your first sip, but then mellow out with the lactose. Pleasantly suprised that I was expecting to be hit over the head with pine tree taste but it jumped back from that. The bitterness comes back on the throat and leaves an aftertaste, though not a bad one. You can definitely pick out the the high alcohol "imperialness".

I would not say I am a huge fan of this style, but for me this is surprisingly good. Tried it solely based on 3F reputation and it's limited release and am glad I did! (820 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass. Pours a hazy golden orange color with about a finger of fluffy, off-white head.

Nose is full of floral and citrus notes. Orange zest, grapefruit, and mango are what I am picking up on mostly. There is a slight sweetness, probably a result of the lactose.

The first thing I notice upon my first sip was the sweetness from the lactose sugar. It definitely adds a slight variant that I'm not used to tasting in a DIPA, but it's not a bad thing. After it sits on your tongue for a little bit, some of the citrus hops that were present in the nose come out to play. The sugary sweetness comes back for the finish and lingers on the tongue long after the beer is gone.

The lactose makes this a little thicker feeling than the typical DIPA and the carbonation level is light to medium. I thought it was a little overly sweet, which knocked the drinkability down just a bit. The 9.5% ABV is hidden quite well. A fairly good DIPA, but a little too sweet for my personal preference when it comes to the style. Glad I was able to try it, but probably not one I'd buy frequently. (1,116 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%

A- A pleasant looking beer without the haze of your typical IIPA. A nice amount of head and good lacing. A nice stream of bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass.

S- The nose here is very unique. The hope aroma comes through however it is tempered, balanced by the presence of a smooth vanilla.

T- Again the hops hit you first and it is mellowed out by the lactose milk sugars. Some good citrus comes through, orange peel, some mandarin.

M- Crisp, with a good amount of hop-burn. A little more lingering possibly due to the lactose.

O- A really nice beer. Not mind blowing but impressively different. (608 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +7%

A- One of the most impressive looking beers I've ever poured. Glowing amber yellow with a perfect one finger white head. Massive amounts of lacing, and great retention.

S- Nice scents mostly piney hops such as simcoe or Amarillo.

T- Marvelous amount of bitter. Perfectly masks the extreme abv percentage. I wish I could say I taste the lactose but I really can't, perhaps some excess sweetness but I can't point that its from the lactose.

M- Fine mouth feel, super smooth, leaves a thin coat but doesn't cling too long.

D- I suppose the beer isn't the most drinkable because of the high abv but I think of that as sessionable, where as drinkable constitutes how much of this stuff I want to drink. Its a great beer that I could drink all night long I should have bought 4 bottles. (784 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

A - Poured a yellowish orange with a white fluffy head

S - Smells of Orange rind, floral, spice, hops, sweet candy

T - Orange rind, hops, floral, sweet caramel malt, a little pine

M - Moderate carbonation, full body

D - SUPER balanced IPA. Sweet and hoppy. Very nice one from three floyds (292 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Thanks to iconoklaztor for the awesome trade.
Poured into a snifter, nice large frothy head that fairly quickly dissipates, leaving a fair amount of lacing. The color is a perfect burnt orange.
The aromas coming from this beer are amazing; citrus, pine, dank weed. Wonderful! I got a nostril full while inhaling too deeply.
The flavors follow the nose. Big citrus, grapefruit, tangerine. A nice piney resin finish. I don't get much if any of the lactose, other than a nice sweet balance to the hops bitterness and bite.
Clean and crisp with just enough lingering residue to remind you of the wonderful elixir that has recently passed through your lips.
If this was available to me it would be a regular purchase. This is up there with some of the best DIPA's I've ever had. (774 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a hazy orange with one finger of off white head. Excellent lacing clinging to the glass. Aroma is initially very fruity and sweet, but seems to dissipate quickly. Taste is initially sweet, moving to citrus and finally piney hops. Medium bodied, well-carbonated, and creamy. Very drinkable and little note of alcohol.

Very well done overall, but a doesn't top Pliny the Elder in my book. (393 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

A-Poured into my Duvel tulip. Bright golden orange with a little haze. No retention, but good lacing.

S-I think this bottle may be a little old because the hops arent what they should be. I smell mostly malt, little pine hops.

T-Similiar to the smell,malty and slight pine hops. Little disapointing from the other reviews. Slight lactose flavor.

M-Love the mouthfeel, the lactose creates almost a "base" feel, very slippery. Its fun and I like it.

D-Dissapointing, as the bottle is old. If they brew this again, I will try and get a fresh one and review again. However, I still liked it, so I can only imagine what it was fresh. (632 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Mid-golden color with a thick, perfect white head. Piney hop nose with a tiny bit of a sweet scent. Taste is powerful hops with a balance of strong malt. Smooth and surprisingly creamy. This a dynamite example of the style! (223 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +11.3%

Alright first review

I just got lucky enough to pick this one up tonight along with a another bomber from fff.Three floyds has changed my perspective on beer forever and I will be reviewing alot of their brews because they're 5 minutes away from my house!
Lucky me!
Alright on to the cow...

App.- Hazy amber great look the head was about an inch and lasted for a good 10 minutes.

Smell- Smell is fantastic ! you can smell the citrus kick right off the bat along with the sweetness of the lactose milk sugar.

taste- First it starts tangy and citrusly , and very quickly you taste the sweetness of malt and milk sugar , it's mind blowing. Dreadnaughts cousin , but i think better.

mouthfeel- pretty average for a double IPA a little thick, I'd say about medium or a little above that

Drinkability- GREAT! for something this strong wow it drinks so well. a bomber of it will make your blood flow thats for sure.

Overall- If your a fan of dreadnaught its a must try. (970 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

A: cloudy orange with a 2 finger head that dissipates to pretty much nothing with some decent laciing

S: smells great. killer citrus in the nose and just that lovely hops smell that is expected in a double IPA. has a good sweet smell in there too

T: A little bit more of a pine hop comes through along with the citrus notes. The body is real nice and creamy and different. the hops dont attack my tongue like usual and it allows for some easier drinking but still get that huge flavor somehow

M: Nice and creamy on the mouth. Carb is pretty much perfect the the style.

D: 11% is awesome for the drinkability. I would not of guessed that by the way its going down so easily.Like i said before the lactose is kind of getting a coating on my mouth so the hops arent affecting my speed of drink. (795 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +8.6%

A- golden amber with two inches of foam. Phenomenal retention.

S- some grassy notes but a little sweet and citrusy

T- incredibly smooth. Terrific balance of hops. Sweet.

M- very smooth definitely hoppy, leaves the mouth dry.

O- Absolutely great beer. 3F rarely disappoints. (277 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured into Bruery Tulip
22 oz bottle
thanks to CarleyRaes for this brew

Color: Hazy bright yellow/orange. Forms a frothy white one finger head as well. Leaves behind a good amount of lacing.

Nose: Big time citrus and fruit: Oranges, grapefruit, tart tangerine, and peach. pleasant sweetness from the malt and lactose sugar. The hop body brings forth some pine and wet Forest smells.

Palate: Balanced between the sweetness and hoppiness. Full bodied and very drinkable, the carbonation is just right. petite waves of creaminess coat the tongue and then are washed away by the taste of fruit. Very very nice.

Finish: Long with some dryness. Wonderfully complex and sharp. Three Floyd's brewery really know how to use hop and each beer is always a surprise. (759 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance-
Cloudy orange, with a hint towards redness. Thin white head.

Smell-
Strong, not overbearing, hop presence that comes across as refreshing (like smelling lemon juice). The hop smell is a mixture of floral, citrus, and fruit. A very demure malt smell.

Taste-
Starts with citrus hops, moves to the sweet, then before the bitter hop bit comes in it is almost a tea quality. This nebulous tea taste does seem to come from the shift of flavors to the bitter, and it is fantastic. It ends like a bitter IPA, like all Stone beers.

Mouthfeel-
The hoppiness can coat your mouth pretty well, but the bitter makes it feel clean. Very refreshing on a warm day.

Overall-
This kind of strikes me as a fraternal twin to Permanent Funeral, which has more sweet malt IIPA quality, where this one has a hop citrus bitter IIPA quality. Both fantastic, and excellent entry from FFF. (877 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured into tulips.

Really underwhelmed by this one compared to my experience with Dreadnaught. Not sure if it was the 'lacto sugars' or what, but this was too sweet with a thick, sticky, frothy mouthfeel that really turned me off. Some citrus and herbal tones, but not much complexity or drinkability. (303 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%

A- 4 Caramel golden color that is a little cloudy. Big fluffy off white 2 finger head on the pour that dissipates slowly. Moderately sticky, yet moderately slippery smooth lacing.

S- 4.5 Hops dominate the nose up front, and then there is an intricate blend of other tannins following that is very nice. I get pine, and then even more of a floral and tropical fruit aroma.

T- 4.5 Similar to the aroma, this has a nice hop flavor that is in the majority of the palate. There is more of a pine bite that follows the hops than I expected from the aroma, but it is very crisp and refreshing. On the way down it turns sweeter, perhaps from the lactose milk sugar, and is reminiscent of the floral and fruity scents I detected before. This is very well balanced in the end. I also get no heat from the brew.

M- 4 The Cow is lighter than I expected it to be in body; a shade under medium. It is definitely smooth though and has ample carbonation. It even has a slight creamy finish.

D- 4 The price tag alone would be enough to limit me to one bomber of the Cow on occasion, but this is a very good seasonal offering from TF. It smells and tastes great, and packs a sneaky punch that is warranted by the big brew. I'll look for it when it's released no doubt. (1,254 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -9.4%

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I feel like this was a below Three-Floyds effort for Three-Floyds. To be fair, they make some of my favorite beers so this was still quality brew. Maybe it was the lactose involved which turned me off. It was too sweet or didn't have enough hops bite for me, not quite sure. I would drink it again, just wouldn't rush back to it. (368 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +8.4%

22 oz. bomber (sweet ass artwork, with no freshness) poured into the appropriate SN pint glass...not sure why the cow on the bottle only has one eye...maybe I should read a bit more into the apocalypse. I digress...

3 fingers of frothy off white head with great lacing-very sticky. Great head retention...hazy orange (almost amber) body.

Whoa! Pineapple and grapefruit assault the senses here. Massive hits of spicy and peppery hops with an underlying smell of sweet citrus. My kind of DIPA...very floral!

Sweet citrus notes up front...sweet, sweet, sweet! There is a subtle bitter finish with a small bit of vanilla, but mostly just sweet hops and spicy goodness. Complex yet simple...

Slick, oily, creamy, and smooth=perfection!

I can quaff this from this cow all day long!

I wanted to make this a complex review, but this is just a brew that you have to have for yourself. FFF has outdone themselves this time...it's almost like a mixture of Dreadnaught and Gumballhead...but what can I say, because FFF knows their hops! (1,030 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%

Three Floyds Apocalypse Cow

Appearance: Three Floyds July specialty selection pours a golden yellow with a slight orange tint. A rocky, soapsuds white head perches itself majestically atop the brassy liquid, but its reign is short lived as it settles down from an imposing three fingers to a more modest (yet tightly bubbled) one. Carbonation is evident, but not overly active, and there are no alcohol legs to speak of. It’s a pretty beer, but nothing really special.

Aroma: The beer smells mainly piney and sweet. There are definite notes of citrus and pine resin, but the milk sugar (the ingredient that sets this one apart as “not normal”) is also present towards the back of the aroma, slightly hidden, but lurking. There are hints of pear and tangerine as far as specifics go, but pine is really the dominant smell. A very slight creaminess is also noticeable, though just barely.

Taste: Complexity is an understatement here. This beer is simply astonishingly deep. The hops hit quickly up front, but are quickly washed away by a formidable creaminess and sweetness (from the lactose and the malts) that would be approaching levels of overpowering and unpleasant sweetness if not for the resurgence of the bitter, piney hops. These flavors fight fervently for the battlefield that is the taster’s tongue, though they eventually settle on terms of a tie and go down together, which is really a win-win for those of us enjoying this delicious drink. I wish I could give this more than five points for this category.

Mouthfeel: …is another homerun for the superior “cow” related beer (sorry, New Glarus; this Wisconsin native still loves you). It is smooth but not watery, bubbly but easy to drink down, creamy but not a mouth-coater. This beer, like the taste (and like all great beers) is balanced perfectly, with a bit of dryness that is not unpleasant.

Overall: Whatever reservations and lack of “It” factor Apocalypse Cow may have had in the first two categories of review it made up for where it really counts. This is a beer that proves sometimes we critics can judge a beer by its cover, or a book by its aroma, or however that goes, and that judgment can be wrong when it comes to the real substance of the book or beer or what-have-you. Those abnormal Floyds from Munster have done it again with this gem of an ale. I’ve been anticipating acquiring this beer for some time, and as it jumped straight into my Top Five beers, it is safe to say it was worth the wait and worthy of the hype. Though the final score will not reflect the awesomeness that is drinking Apocalypse Cow, regulations and rubrics must be followed. 18/20 (2,662 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

poured into a tulip. Date your bottles douchebags...

A: Pours a slightly hazy yellow-orange that really glows. Strong and milky head - not fizzy at all - that receded quickly to a small film

S: Spicy and Herbal hops with slight citrus and a hint of dark fruits....don't know if thats from the malt or hop aroma. Definitely get a heavy sticky-sweetness mixing in with the floral aroma, which I am pretty sure is the lactose. MMM this is not an aroma bomb but smells really fuggin good.

T: Sweet and floral hops on the front: orange, grapefruit, and a bit of melon (probly lactose and floral hop combo making my brain get melon). Real interesting sweetness to it, really digging the lactose addition it is very unique and not overdone at all. This is on the sweeter side for the style, but not in a cloying or overdone way...*cough* knee deep DIPAs *cough*

M: Definitely heavy, but great velvety carbonation. Slightly sticky.

O: This was nothing short of awesome. Never had an IPA with lactose before, but it was super noticeable and equally enjoyable. Expected this to be either average, or way overdone, but it was executed beautifully. Super sweet, but done well. Only complaint I have is that I would have liked a bit more on the nose. (1,244 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +7.4%

Initial appearance after pouring was nice creamy 1 finger head, almost a copper hue. I could barely see through as it was quite cloudy and thick. The smell was a hoppy citrus but then let up into a more malty and sugary smell.

The taste of this is where I almost fell in love. I love IPA's and DIPA's but this one although on the sweet side has such a distinct taste and texture that doesnt get duplicated anywhere I have experienced as of yet.

The slick creamy feel starts out and then a hoppy bite, followed by the lactose sugar and malty tones are balanced out very nicely! Chewy oranges come to mind, with a bit of mango cream.

Overall this is a very very tasty brew. Coming from a 22 oz. you don't need much more than this in one sitting as it definately quenches the palate and the heart of an IPA lover. For the style I definately rate this brew up there with quality and uniqueness not found elsewhere. Ten thumbs up - oh and did I mention Oranges? Definately on the short list for me to pick up again. (1,016 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

Thanks to stickman1220 for this one. Poured from bottle into pint glass, great golden amber with a finger and a half of creamy off white head. Nose has a good malt backbone with great hops. A bit of citrus with loads of honey. On the tongue it is malty, slight caramel, a bit of piney hops with a minute alcohol twinge. Mouthfeel is solid, perfect carbonation with a warming coat from the alchohol. Decent lacing down the glass. Overall, great brew, happy ipa day! (464 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 220z bomber into La Chouffe snifter glass. Purchased at brew pub 1 week ago.

Light orange and cloudy with 2 finger head. Retention is nice, sticks to glass.

Much more citrus rind overtones than pine and floral. Very complex orange, pineapple with some honey. Slightly sweet, soft. Big malt backbone and not too sweet.

This is the most balanced dipa I've tasted. The hops, the sweetness or bread character doesn't overwhelm each other.

Mouthfeel is by far the best I have noticed. So soft, creamy. Bitterness lingers just a bit on your tongue. It goes down fast for a beer of this profile. So drinkable. Despite the IBUs, don't notice it as much.

Overall, beer is brilliant. Different take then the Dreadnaught or Arctic Panzer Wolf. Not better/less but different. The lactic sugar balances the flavor more, softens it and provides more citrus overtones. I love 3Fs. (886 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -2.4%

A: Golden brown (and delicious?) semi-opaque beer, with big mobile bubbles moving up to a frothy two inch head, which leaves a good amount of lace, but dies quickly after the pour.

S: I smell oranges, roses, creamy candy, and notes of hay.

T: The taste is sweet and acidic at first, like orange or peach bitters, followed by a smoother grain flavor, with more intense citrus notes on the finish.

M: This is a chewy beer, but ashy. The finish is both coating and drying to the inside of my mouth.

D: This is and intense and almost perfumey beer, but the cottony feeling in my mouth afterwards kept it from being outstanding. (627 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -12%

Bonus from Stfun thanks Josh! Pours a gold/orange with a creamy off white head. Aroma is tons of citrus and pine with some other tropical fruit. Hmm, I was expecting the flavor to be very bitter, but it's very subtle. Smooth and creamy... like a fruit cocktail. Good, but different. Full mouth and easy to drink. (312 characters)

Apocalypse Cow from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.