Apocalypse Cow - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Apocalypse CowApocalypse Cow

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Availability: Summer

9.5-11.0% ABV, 100 IBUs - This complex double India pale ale has an intense citrus and floral hop aroma balanced by a velvety malt body which has been augmented with lactose milk sugar. With this different take on an IPA we have brewed an ale that is both pleasing to drink and, once again, “not normal.” Cheers! June release.

(Beer added by: mdm46410 on 11-23-2008)

RWNay, Sep 20, 2012

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

verset, Sep 13, 2012

MichPaul, Sep 10, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

This was lugged back from a trip to Chicagoland by my wife. Unfortunately when we shared the first bomber, it was far too hoppy for her. Second bottle was split with a very ill friend. Unfortunately on that one, he is also diabetic, and after 2 sips, the sugar was too much for him, so it would be more accurate to say I drank the bomber solo. Notes are as follows.

Apocalypse Cow has your standard beer commercial pour, light amber of color, and plenty of near-white head.

The smell is a pleasant mashup of sugar and spicy (not bitter) hops. 100 IBU though? Really? I'd buy half of that.

First gulp. Nice. Hoppy. Complex. Second gulp. Picking up on more of the sugar. The hops are starting to drown. Man, this is as sweet an IPA/DIPA as I've ever had, and I'm not sure it's a good thing. Seems like the Floyds were going for balance and tipped the scales the wrong way.

But oh, this drink has a great consistency. As thick and frothy as a mug of root beer. Really great.

I found the sugar somewhat overwhelming, and that's the takeway from this beer. We wound up paying about $10.99 for this bomber, which is comically overpriced for the modest level of enjoyment I had from it. At this price, hell no, not recommended, but at a saner price, sure. But I would be more interested in trying other FFF beers first.

lurpy1, Sep 09, 2012

OrestesMethuon, Sep 09, 2012

Gvice13, Sep 08, 2012

SCZ, Sep 07, 2012

Redsoxfanman85, Sep 07, 2012
4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

2012 Vintage poured into FFF Teku glass

Appearance: Cow poured a light copper-orange color with two fingers worth of head. Head is fluffy and a great brilliant white color with very tight small bubbles. It settles quickly and leaves some nice lacing behind.

Smell: Up front there is a definite tropical fruit presence with mango, melon, pineapple, some honey. Not at all resiney in the nose to me and to be honest smells "smooth" to me. It's as if the lactose milk sugar has thrown in a very unique twist here even in the nose.

Taste: Oh WOW I think I just found my favorite DIPA to date! I am getting the orange-tangerine, grapefruit, peach, melon, and mango. Just a ton of citrus and tropical notes but this is followed up by an awesome caramel and honey sweetness in the backbone that smoothes everything and makes this highly drinkable in a dangerous way! Alcohol is so well hidden I can't believe this is 11%.

Mouthfeel: Like I've said a couple times before this is one smooth DIPA and I'm thoroughly enjoying it! Hops are most definitely there but not in an in your face way. Carbonation is moderate and adds a slight prick on the tongue.

Overall: Well what more can I say? Simply amazingly well done FFF! Everything works in this beer and I really can not find anything wrong with it. Just plain stellar!

sleuthdog, Sep 06, 2012

captainbearcat, Sep 02, 2012

JohnTomaszewski, Aug 31, 2012

mrebeka, Aug 31, 2012
4.68/5  rDev +10.1%

This is probably my newest favorite IPA! I can only hope the one I just brewed will come close. Bold aroma with a creamy mouth feel. Awesomeness in a pint sized glass. Wish there were more barrels coming to Wisconsin soon. What a great beer to come out of Indiana.

rldavis1116, Aug 31, 2012