2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Apocalypse Cow - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Apocalypse CowApocalypse Cow

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Availability: Summer

9.5-11.0% ABV, 100 IBUs - This complex double India pale ale has an intense citrus and floral hop aroma balanced by a velvety malt body which has been augmented with lactose milk sugar. With this different take on an IPA we have brewed an ale that is both pleasing to drink and, once again, “not normal.” Cheers! June release.

(Beer added by: mdm46410 on 11-23-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,362 | Reviews: 429 | Show All Ratings:
BrewerB

3.68/5  rDev -13.2%

A while back aasher mentioned that Apocalypse Cow was his favorite Three Floyds beer. So I added to my wants. A couple months later, it arrives in a box, courtesy of the same fine BA-er. Thanks Al for knocking off a much coveted Want!

Pours a mostly clear orange color with an off-white foam that's holding up well. Lemon and pine hit the nose first though that's quickly followed up with by some citrus, orange scents. Malt doesn't appear to be making much of an impact. While not as overly intense in the hop flavor department, it's the fruity flavors that come up first. Honeydew, cantaloupe? Hard to put a label on it but it's certainly not of the citrus variety. Bitterness is there but it doesn't strip the enamel off my teeth. Alcohol is clearly present as is a certain sweetness that doesn't seem normal for the style although isn't unpleasant, either. Slightly thick/chewy but medium bodied with a moderate level of carbonation.

Overall an enjoyable beer that masks its strength well, presents some interesting textures and flavors for the style, but lacks a bit of the punch I like from a DIPA. I'd love to revisit the beer with a fresher bottle as I suspect this may have been on the shelves for a few months. I'll certainly be enjoying the rest of it and am glad to have gotten to try it. Thanks again, Al!

09-15-2011 03:32:25 | More by BrewerB
miketd

3.65/5  rDev -13.9%

Bonus from Stfun thanks Josh! Pours a gold/orange with a creamy off white head. Aroma is tons of citrus and pine with some other tropical fruit. Hmm, I was expecting the flavor to be very bitter, but it's very subtle. Smooth and creamy... like a fruit cocktail. Good, but different. Full mouth and easy to drink.

07-26-2009 12:24:21 | More by miketd
SpeedwayJim

3.63/5  rDev -14.4%

Thanks to pittsburghkid66 for this one. Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

A: Pours a creamy 1.5 finger fine off-white head with good retention. Beer is a cloudy ruby red. Lacing is ringed at the top but spotty going down with little cling.

S: Intense citrus and floral hop aromas invade the nose while a cane sugar sweetness tickles the back. Burnt caramel is also present and gives a real accurate preview of the taste.

T: A bit of a malt bomb off the bat. Really rich caramel and burnt brown sugar with a richness that's unlike most other IIPAs. Hop presence is there but its faded into the background and completely dominated by the sweetness. A bit of vanilla somewhere along the line too. Finish is messy with a big aftertaste of caramel malt.

M: Medium bodied, slightly carbonated, and probably the smoothest IIPA I've had to date. Notice the trend here. This one is very different. Finish is messy with a sticky, partially oily aftertaste.

D: A very different IIPA that definitely sets itself apart. Brewed with lactose, the body here is very smooth... not something I like in my IPAs. This one lacks a certain cleanliness and crispness and the malt flavor is completely dominating. Well worth a try for its uniquness but I won't be having this one again.

06-04-2010 02:14:28 | More by SpeedwayJim
LucienDeRubempre

3.63/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured into tulips.

Really underwhelmed by this one compared to my experience with Dreadnaught. Not sure if it was the 'lacto sugars' or what, but this was too sweet with a thick, sticky, frothy mouthfeel that really turned me off. Some citrus and herbal tones, but not much complexity or drinkability.

07-26-2010 03:09:03 | More by LucienDeRubempre
Reaper16

Alabama

3.6/5  rDev -15.1%

22oz. bomber poured into a tulip glass

Pours a very light-for-the-style color somewhere between straw yellow and lemon peel. There was a finger or so of white foam with no real lacing to speak of. Pretty 'meh' looking.

Interesting stuff coming out of the aroma. The hops dominate, of course. Pine and orange peel mostly. Some floral smells are in abundance. I feel like the aromas are muted, that this beer is past its prime, but the hops are still plenty strong. Some bready malt in informed by the unique cream cheese/buttermilk thing going on as a result of the lactose. It is strange but sort of works.

The taste of Apocalypse Cow takes the strangeness of the aroma and amplifies it. There is an initial floral & pine bite from the hops but it quickly cedes to sweetness. Bizarre, creamy, candy sweetness. The finish has some fresh flowers that linger but also a lot of residual sweet dairy flavor. Crazy stuff, this. I'm scoring it a 4.0 because of how fun it is.

The mouthfeel has a certain creaminess to it, as you'd expect from what is essentially a milk/sweet IIPA. If you've read my reviews then you know that I dislike thick bodies in my hoppy beers, and Apocalypse Cow suffers from that same problem for me. It is mitigated however by the fact that the beer's unique flavors wouldn't be as fully realized without such a large body. Drinkability has to be average for the style. The only thing compelling you to drink more is the novelty of it all.

This is a very innovative offering from Three Floyds. It is absolutely worth a try; it is a fun, original beer that the brewery should be commended for making. I actually like this a lot more than my scoring would indicate.

08-11-2010 03:50:25 | More by Reaper16
buschbeer

3.6/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

1 PINT 6 FL OZ bottle
Served in a tulip glass

A - This beer is amber in color with three inches of off-white head.

S - I get some citrus. I also get some anise. I did not notice it until I tasted the beer.

T - The one thing that stands out to me is the taste of anise on the finish. It has the typical IPA flavors up front, citrus, pine, etc. That anise taste is really different for an IPA.

M - Moderate

O - I am not a fan of anise. This taste caught me way off guard. I am a fan of Three Floyd's IPA's, but this may be the exception.

07-29-2013 00:38:19 | More by buschbeer
vdoz3

Oregon

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

I was a little let down with my first impression of this beer so I decided to post a review to hammer out my concerns with it.

The body is enticingly orange, hazy and unfiltered. Kind of like the body of Odell's IPA for those who've experienced it.
I realize the beer is past its prime so I'm not surprised that the nose isn't bursting with hops, same for the taste. The nose instead gives off a sticky, resinous, orangey pine flavor.
The taste is mostly made up of sweet malts and ends on a particularly sweet note which I attribute to the lactose.

The mouthfeel, while smooth, is not particularly luscious, which is what I was expecting from the lactose, and I think is what I was hoping for (and is throwing me off). Plus, it ends on a really sweet, sticky note (a pet peeve of mine).

Overall this beer is definitely tasty, and at 11% it definitely hides its alcohol nicely. But it's not coming together for me into the finished product I was hoping for. Oh well.

11-14-2010 06:24:11 | More by vdoz3
ratedz

Kansas

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass. Pours a hazy golden orange color with about a finger of fluffy, off-white head.

Nose is full of floral and citrus notes. Orange zest, grapefruit, and mango are what I am picking up on mostly. There is a slight sweetness, probably a result of the lactose.

The first thing I notice upon my first sip was the sweetness from the lactose sugar. It definitely adds a slight variant that I'm not used to tasting in a DIPA, but it's not a bad thing. After it sits on your tongue for a little bit, some of the citrus hops that were present in the nose come out to play. The sugary sweetness comes back for the finish and lingers on the tongue long after the beer is gone.

The lactose makes this a little thicker feeling than the typical DIPA and the carbonation level is light to medium. I thought it was a little overly sweet, which knocked the drinkability down just a bit. The 9.5% ABV is hidden quite well. A fairly good DIPA, but a little too sweet for my personal preference when it comes to the style. Glad I was able to try it, but probably not one I'd buy frequently.

12-14-2010 01:20:59 | More by ratedz
yourefragile

District of Columbia

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

22oz bomber split 3 ways.

Pours a dark, cloudy rusty copper with a frothy off white head. Slightly darker than Arctic Panzer and with better retention and more lacing. Aroma and flavor are both a little too sweet for me, caramel and bubblegummy with light tropical fruits. Finish and mouthfeel are slightly syrupy and thick. A more malt forward and sweet DIPA, I didn't enjoy this as much as Dreadnaught or Arctic.

02-03-2011 00:22:50 | More by yourefragile
womencantsail

Bottle thanks to Jeff.

A: The beer pours a cloudy orange color with a finger or two of off-white head.

S: A lot of sweet citrus aroma to this, mostly oranges and tangerine. A touch of pineapple, some grapefruit, too. Sweet malt and toffee aroma, maybe a bit of sugar and pine.

T: The flavor is definitely on the sweet side, too. Lots of sweet citrus and malt. There is a nice citrus component to it, but there is a bit too much sweet malt/sugar flavor. A moderate bitterness and pine, but it's still too sweet.

M: Medium bodied with a medium level of carbonation.

O: While it has Some nice citrus notes, this was just way too sweet.

09-21-2011 05:46:57 | More by womencantsail
drink1121

3.55/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

A-Poured into my Duvel tulip. Bright golden orange with a little haze. No retention, but good lacing.

S-I think this bottle may be a little old because the hops arent what they should be. I smell mostly malt, little pine hops.

T-Similiar to the smell,malty and slight pine hops. Little disapointing from the other reviews. Slight lactose flavor.

M-Love the mouthfeel, the lactose creates almost a "base" feel, very slippery. Its fun and I like it.

D-Dissapointing, as the bottle is old. If they brew this again, I will try and get a fresh one and review again. However, I still liked it, so I can only imagine what it was fresh.

12-10-2009 03:41:35 | More by drink1121
TurdFurgison

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

Bomber purchased from Armanetti's for about $11. This beer is crystal clear and copper colored with a full froth that laces into small islands on the glass. The smell is all hops, resin and citrus. On second sniff that's not quite true, there are a lot of sweet aromas there too, this smells like it might ride the barleywine line. While the taste is definitely not barleywine this is much sweeter than I'd prefer for a DIPA. I appreciate the hops but the sweetness becomes cloying and gives me pause. I can taste the lactose in the aftertaste, which is pretty unique for an IPA. But it seems heterogeneous, almost a two-to-three phase system (hops, lactose, ethanol) where the individual parts contradict rather than compliment each other. Thick bodied and sticky (at least this complements the hop resin aroma) but hard to drink very fast. Just too much evident alcohol and clashing flavors. Worth a try but I won't get it again (and I almost had it on cask last night at the Map Room, wonder how that turned out).

06-27-2009 03:10:38 | More by TurdFurgison
lurpy1

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

This was lugged back from a trip to Chicagoland by my wife. Unfortunately when we shared the first bomber, it was far too hoppy for her. Second bottle was split with a very ill friend. Unfortunately on that one, he is also diabetic, and after 2 sips, the sugar was too much for him, so it would be more accurate to say I drank the bomber solo. Notes are as follows.

Apocalypse Cow has your standard beer commercial pour, light amber of color, and plenty of near-white head.

The smell is a pleasant mashup of sugar and spicy (not bitter) hops. 100 IBU though? Really? I'd buy half of that.

First gulp. Nice. Hoppy. Complex. Second gulp. Picking up on more of the sugar. The hops are starting to drown. Man, this is as sweet an IPA/DIPA as I've ever had, and I'm not sure it's a good thing. Seems like the Floyds were going for balance and tipped the scales the wrong way.

But oh, this drink has a great consistency. As thick and frothy as a mug of root beer. Really great.

I found the sugar somewhat overwhelming, and that's the takeway from this beer. We wound up paying about $10.99 for this bomber, which is comically overpriced for the modest level of enjoyment I had from it. At this price, hell no, not recommended, but at a saner price, sure. But I would be more interested in trying other FFF beers first.

09-09-2012 14:25:54 | More by lurpy1
maximum12

3.45/5  rDev -18.6%

Three Floyds made a very sudden reappearance in Hudson Wisconsin, just across the border, so I made a quick foray to pick up a bottle of this. Love a good DIPA & need something to nurse after my Twins just absorbed a first game beating from the m*ther*** Yankess.

Anyways. Pours reddish, clear, filtered, no bunk on the bottom of the bottle or in the glass. Smells like a solid DIPA, nice waves of citrus, pine, & spring flowers. Also a dangerous amount of sweet malts.

The Cow...too much malts. The sweetness of the malts (& possibly lactose, though I detect little of it) swerve in front of hops & get all tangled up, resulting in a brew that's sweet up front with a nice bitter twang on the donkey's end. But for a DIPA, this is too gentle, too kind, too willing to hand out money to the poor. I expect a DIPA to kick the poverty-stricken. And the rich, too.

The lactose adverised on the label - which I dig, 3F can always turn itself into an art company if the beer thing doesn't work out - is felt more in the mouthfeel, in a creamy, soft, silky kind of way. One bomber split with the wife is good for me.

Pretty good beer, but wouldn't make it anywhere near my list of favorite DIPAs. More hops, less malt. This plays right into the "middle coast" stereotype of a DIPA.

10-08-2009 01:53:53 | More by maximum12
ehammond1

3.38/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Bottle (2013)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, Hugonaut13!

A gorgeous, sticky IPA. Cloudy dark orange with a persistent, creamy, big-bubbled, near-white head. Leaves the glass simply coating with sticky, irregular, messy spiderwebs of lace. Gorgeous.

Sweet, candied orange peel in the aroma along with biscuit and sweet caramel. A bit of alcohol is present in the aroma on deeper inhalations. Certainly hoppy, but this beer's heft and strength may become it's downfall. To go along with all those hops are big malt additions, lots of sweetness, and a definite booze presence. That being said, what is there to expect with an 11% ABV DIPA? Even the best of the style have some warming presence.

As with the aroma, the flavor is bold, big, and sweet. Lots of hop bitterness, sweet, candied grapefruit zest, caramel sweetness, along with some toasted biscuit, and a sightly astringent alcohol character. The flavors actually come together quite nicely, but the lingering finish is what detracts overall, for me.

Medium to full bodied for the style. Thick, sweet, and slightly syrupy.

I'm glad I got to try this, but it's not a devastatingly good beer, like I was hoping it might be. Solid, sweet, big, and bold are all words I would use to describe this beer. That being said, I will hungrily devour the entire bottle and be more than happy to do the same to another.

For the haiku portion of this review, I present to you:

Apocalypse Cow
Please come out and take a bow
You ain't no fat sow

06-18-2013 02:07:09 | More by ehammond1
Arbitrator

3.35/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Chilled bottle into a glass. Courtesy of lurchingbeast. Thanks, Frank. Our many trades have lurched their way into some of my favorites. <3

A: Pours a clear, golden amber (sap colored) body with a finger of off-white head. Great retention, with minor lace.

S: Pungent, bright citrus that tells me that this is a fresh bottle. It's a zesty tangerine character, with pineapple, grapefruit, and orange coming through. This: this is what I enjoy about IPAs. It has a touch of brown sugar (crystal malt?) and sweetness that I don't really want here, but I'll allow it.

T: Again, a beautiful cornucopia of citrus flavors. The horn of plenty delivers pineapple, orange tangerine, grapefruit, even a smidge of pine. I am enthused by all of these, but there is an unapologetic sweetness that lends a candied tint. I won't say it's bad, but after a while it wears on me, particularly with a sweet burn in the finish.

M: It is oddly heavy, so much so that I simply felt distressed and uncomfortable halfway through the bottle. Maybe I'm getting old, but there was a sweetness and body to the beer that just wore on me and made it difficult to finish.

O: It's too bad this doesn't come in 12oz bottles, as it would really benefit the consumer. Come on -- you package your most drinkable beer in 12oz'ers and your heaviest beers in 22oz bottles? More like Three Idiots. I'd have this again, but only with a second person present (which is getting increasingly rare).

07-04-2011 02:55:06 | More by Arbitrator
Gooball201

3.33/5  rDev -21.5%

Good beer. Pours a cludy orangey/rust color. Taste is hoppy (not Arctic nor Zombie like) but not overly. This actually tastes like a Bell's Two Hearted. Although the bottle states 9.5 ABV I believe BA indication of 11.0 as you can smell the alcohol as it lingers in the tulip glass. Also feel the burn as it goes down.

Overall another decent FFF brew but far from there best. Keep it a seasonal and ramp up the Zombie Dust production so you can bring it to the East Coast.

11-27-2011 11:42:07 | More by Gooball201
sbxx

3.29/5  rDev -22.4%

Appearance - Deep, hazy tangerine color. 2 fingers of thick foam head. Great retention. Thick lacing.

Smell - Citrus, bread, slight herbal note

Taste - Weird. Probably the first FFF brew I can say right off the bat that I don't care too much for. Citrus and pine hop note up front is quickly overwhelmed by the malt and lactose. Odd aftertaste. Slight alcohol bite.

Mouthfeel - Med/heavy body, acidic, high carbonation, wet sticky finish.

Overall - Probably the most overrated FFF brew I've tried to date. Not bad, but not great either. Disappointed at what I spent on this bomber. So many great brews available for much less, even from FFF! Zombie or Alpha King 6 pack >>>>>>> Apocalypse Cow bomber, all the same price. Will pass on this next time. On the bright side, at 10-11% ABV, it gives you a nice buzz very quickly.

07-11-2013 20:01:53 | More by sbxx
Reagan1984

3.28/5  rDev -22.6%

As a big Three Floyds fan I was excited to try this version of an IPA and was hoping to have another Dreadnaught type experience. I am sad to report that didn't happen. Overall, too cloying and sweet. Certainly some fun stuff happening, but just too goopy..

Nice creamy white head forms atop a bright copper beer with excellent clarity. The color is startling and very nice. Some lacing forms and the head does fade rather quickly.

Aroma is bright and a true balance between the citrus hops and floral notes and the bold sweetness. It's right here that you get your first sense of what is to come.

Flavor just grabs you with the bold sweetness. Some deep tropical fruits, citrus hops and certainly fresh, but the bitterness almost takes a back seat to the sweetness. There is a slight touch of alcohol, but again the sweetness takes over and masks this.

Body was a bit too thick and not creamy, but almost syrupy.

I didn't find this extremely drinkable, and was a touch disappointed. If you love overly sweet DPA's then this is your beer. It's just not mine.

06-17-2009 12:35:11 | More by Reagan1984
321jeff

Maryland

3.25/5  rDev -23.3%

Pours a slighly hazy amber with some golden edges with a finger of white head. Leaves some nice sticky lacing.

Aroma is filled with hops, but I get some fresh cut grass or bubblegum that I'm finding kind of off putting. Also a good dose of caramel in the background that is saving the day and evening things out.

The taste is focused on sweet caramel and that same hop profile pops up again, kind of killing the party for me.

Mouthfeel is relatively thick with a decent amount of carbonation. It goes down fairly easy for a big DIPA, but some of the flavors are off-putting to me and I won't be seeking this one out again.

02-03-2011 00:47:53 | More by 321jeff
Rhanson11

Indiana

3.25/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

My biggest liquor store option in the college town of Bloomington, IN suggested that I try Apocalypse Cow. I was surprised at the price, but purchased anyway (almost $13 for 1 bottle). I'm not really an IPA fan as of now, so that is probably why I didn't find this beer as good as some others I have had. Just like the description on the bottle, it has a sense of difference from other IPAs, which was a positive for me in this case.

07-17-2013 07:17:15 | More by Rhanson11
bound4er

Wisconsin

3.13/5  rDev -26.2%

From a bomber.

Pours hazy with a golden orange color producing about a finger width of white head with spotty lacing. This beer's aroma is strong - I can smell it from the table it is sitting on next to me. Lots of complexity here - licorice, resinous hops, biscuit and some alcohol. It really invites you in for a sip. Unfortunately, the taste is a let down. Some booze, funk and a building, taught hop bitterness all work against this beer. A smooth, full bodied feel makes up for some of the taste letdown. Not the most drinkable or likable beer in the world. I guess I was expecting more from FFF. I need to get my hands on some Dreadnaught - I have a feeling it will be more to my liking.

10-19-2009 00:44:08 | More by bound4er
alcstradamus

Washington

3.05/5  rDev -28.1%

Nice amber color with a little less than a finger of head even with a fairly hard pour. Smell is very "bright" (if bright was a scent!), not much in the way of hops really. A bit milky and light. The taste is similar...very sweet hop profile with a milkiness that is distracting. On the full side of medium bodied and fairly sticky, this one is really just not that appealing. I won't be buying this again.

08-02-2009 00:07:34 | More by alcstradamus
jpmclaug

South Carolina

3.05/5  rDev -28.1%

Poured from the bottle into my Duvel tulip. Thanks to BarrytheBear for this awesome extra.

A - Bright, glowing orange body with a small white head on top.

S - A bit of a citrus hop smell with a hint of pine. Not especially pungent.

T/M - Really malty for a DIPA. Slight citrus hop presence up front before giving way to a sweet body. Can't specifically pick out the lactose notes but this is pretty sweet. Bit of a syrupy feel. with a light carbonation

D - Something about this just doesn't agree too much with me. I'm not sure what it is but I am struggling with a bomber of this. Maybe a 12oz serving of this would be the way to go. Not awful by any means but not amazing either. Worth trying for the novelty I guess but the bottle art is the best part of this beer.

09-29-2010 22:42:02 | More by jpmclaug
jzeilinger

2.98/5  rDev -29.7%

Recently picked up a bottle of this on a trip to Indiana, I understand this is a June release beer so my expectations are low coming into this since it's not as fresh as it could be, with hoppy beers, I always like them best within the first 3-4 after bottling. On the positive side, this is one of the coolest labels I've seen in quite awhile!

A - Pours a hazy medium orange color with a light layer of thick and creamy foam. The foam sticks to the sides of the glass like syrup glue.

S - There's a distant and faded pungency consisting of oranges and grapefruit, floral bouquet, and a lightly sweet caramel, doughy malt.

T - There's a small amount spicy zest, the little that's left gives it a slight citric tang. Light caramel malt that's a little doughy is present throughout and never gets overpowered by the hops. After a start of malt sweetness the hops eventually surface part way through in the form of faded fruit: pineapple, orange, red grapefruit and mixed up with the floral taste. I read alot of complaints about the booze presence with this beer, but it wasn't bad at all.

M - Thick medium body and it coagulates the spit in my mouth which I assume is a product of the lactose addition. Otherwise, slick and viscous.

O - The aroma coming from the citrus character has a slight bit of tangy zing to it, if this was released in June, at 5 months out already, I'd really love to smell a fresh one of these, this bottle is definitely over the hill and the nose is faded. I absolutely hate how it makes my mouth feel like I just drank a glass of milk, I can do without the lactose. I didn't think I could ever rate a bottle of Three Floyds this low and I think it may be the first for me, had I not paid $10 for the bottle, it would end up down the drain. I want to try this one when it's fresh because it's a shell of it's former self right now and with a stronger hop presence, I could learn to live with the lactose. I want to get my hands on a younger bottle because I know this has to be much better than what it is right now. When that happens, I will without question, change this review to a much more favorable one.

11-28-2011 21:41:21 | More by jzeilinger