Rabbid Rabbit - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Rabbid RabbitRabbid Rabbit

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.40% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-2002

7.4% ABV, 25 IBUs - This Franco-Belgian style Farmhouse Ale has an effervescent body and a light straw color. Rabbid Rabbit, with it’s light malt body, augmented by spices, is a complex and frothy beverage with a deceptively high alcohol content. March release.
Reviews: 377 | Hads: 1,045

Appearance: Beautiful sunglow/gold body with an isabelline/snow head.

Aroma: Classic saison: Yeasty, earthy, and spicy with a slightly sweet undertone.

Taste: Notes of peach, orange, grapefruit, and lemongrass - all wrapped in yeasty goodness.

Mouthfeel: Considerable carbonation, with a wet finish - extremely refreshing.

Overall: I absolutely love saisons, and Rabbid Rabbit is one of my favorites in that style. If you've not had this, you are truly missing out.

4.87/5  rDev +28.2%

Poures a cloudy golden orange with tons of thick white creamy head.

Smell is of cinnamon apples and coriander, and that is exactly what it taste like as well. The first taste is like bitting into a plate of unsweeted malted cinamon apples. Absolutlely fantastic. The finish is smooth and crisp. This beer is absolutely exceptional. The mouthfeel while bubbly is a little on the thin side, but still good.

I found the drinkability so good I had trouble saving a glass in the growler for my best freind.

4.79/5  rDev +26.1%

Lovely, luminescent amber/orange color, head is a tight 1/4 carpet of whitish fuzz, and there's active carbonation, bubbles rising perennially, a ripe appearance.
Warm, beatiful spices greet the nose immediately, is it cinnamon, aniseed, clove? Coriander, cardamom, lavender? I'm not so sure, nor does it matter, it feels most like pumpkin pie, or gingerbread cookies, or mulled cider, you could be at Grandma's house on Thanksgiving Day with this beer and not know which is which.
I pull my snoot out of the glass and drink at last...bold, bright, brisk hops storm the palate, buzz the tongue, set it stirring. Malt is luscious, and hops are high, lasting long in the mouth. Flavor is fantastic and in copious supply. I'm utterly enamored of this beer!
I had some Dupont before this, reacquainting myself after too long with this classic exemplar of the saison style, and eager to compare the two. There is no comparison, two different animals altogether, the Rabbit owning a unique claim on a particular spice blend, and possessing a fruity profile that goes beyond the citric character of so many others.
Yum. I feels so fine, fresh and fruity in the mouth, with each new swallow, and then the spicy kick rushes in, and it's just an extraordinary sensation!
I'm going to relax with this one, and pretend like I deserve it!
It's that kind of brew!

Thanks, Floyds, and most of all, thanks to cretemixer for the growler!

4.77/5  rDev +25.5%

22oz bomber Pours a rich, hazy golden apricot color with a one finger creamy off-white head. Great consistent lacing.

Nose: Honey, tart peach, orange citrus, light peppery funk. Very well compiled and nothing but amazing scents.

Taste: Sweet apple, tropical citrus, lemon, pepper, barny funk. Sweet at first but clean, crisp finish with zippy, biting bubbles.

Overall a very delicious beer. A bit sweet for the style, but I really liked it and do not think it detracted from it. Flavorful, crisp, and biting. An absolutely delicious beer that I will be seeking out again.

4.75/5  rDev +25%

64 oz. growler.

Among all human consumables, Rabbid Rabbit is unequivocal in depth and complexity. Warm lavendar opens up to pistachio, gingerbread, and quiet clove -- a dominating flavor of chai tea. The spices lead into gentle caramel malt and an absolutely stunning display of fresh, juicy, citric hops.

This beer defines balance for me because it considers so many different elements and presents them as a single taste. Though there's no real presence of a bold Belgian yeast, Rabbid Rabbit uses the very rich mid-boil hops in place of those esters. We're left with a lightly fruity, barely phenolic backdrop for the spices.

[Sadly, all you get are those phenols in the bottled version, which is sharp and dissapointing.]

As my friend Drew pointed out, this is really all about coriander and tons of it. But the way it works with these particular malts and these particular hops creates more flavor sensations than I could expect out of any of the world's cuisine. As opposed to Castelain, the deep coriander isn't at all astringent, helped, I think, by the low bitterness of the overall beer and the moderately rich malt.

I wondered how Three Floyds could possibly make a saison. If they're "not normal" and care almost exclusively about hops, how could they reproduce this delicate Belgian summer beer without making it too bitter or too much against the style?

They've managed to achieve what is, to me, the highest craft of any art: to understand what has come before you, change it, and have your audience wonder why it wasn't always that way. As Cezanne looked out his window each morning and saw the mountains, I feel the Floyds have seen many beers, learned to take God's children and make them their own. This saison calls on all of the great saisons of Belgium from Dupont to Fantome and, though it shares some traits with them, it is a comprehensive revision of the style -- a beer I didn't know I was looking for all these years.

Imagine eating a fruitcake on Opposite Day.

Relax, relax.

4.74/5  rDev +24.7%

2007 spring release. (Black cap)

Pours a deep orange with a white head. Sticky lacing hangs around. Has a sweet smell of a graham cracker pie crust, nutmeg and citrus. Tastes of cinnamon, other spices, banana, and citrus (mainly lemon) hops. Finishes slightly dry and crisp. The 9% ABV is hidden extremely well. Mouthfeel is smooth and moderately carbonated. Drinkability is great. Has a nice refreshing quality to it, like a spiced up Gumballhead. I love how this smells and tastes, truly unique. If it wasn't for the high ABV and the price tag, I could easily enjoy this one all night long. Highly recommended!

4.69/5  rDev +23.4%

Pours a deep golden color, pretty hazy and slightly orangeish. Has about one finger of off-white head which goes pretty quickly and leaves little more than a rimjob behind.

Smell is quite nice and complex, with aromas of fruit and fresh cut flowers, yeast and a bit of funk, spice, ginger, herbs, a bit of honey sweetness, and some hay and grass. Love it.

Taste is quite clean and smooth, and consists of many of the same components from the smell. It's quite floral and herbal, with flavors of ginger, some fruit, spice, wildflowers, bit of residual sweetness. It's a soft, coriander spiciness rather than a sharp peppery one. It has a unique funkiness that seems to be a combination of herbs and yeast rather than yeast alone. There is yeast here, but not in abundance. There is just a ton going on here but it all melds together beautifully, and the ginger cleanses the palate after each sip to allow for the next cornucopia of flavor. Amazing.

The ginger lends a very crisp and clean feel to this, it's very smooth. Feels light in the mouth even though it's probably between a medium and full body. Not at all heavy.

This is a fantastic beer. I'd put it right up there with Dupont as one of the top saisons I've had. It's completely different than Saison Dupont, but wonderful in it's uniqueness. Definitely worth a try. If it weren't 9% I could drink it all day. Ahh Three Floyds, you crazy bastards, this one is a home run.

4.68/5  rDev +23.2%

Hazy gold color. Medium head for a 9% ABV. Aroma is delicate by Saison standards and suggests cloves, ginger, milder yeast (somewhere between earthy and bready) and floral hops - no hint of alcoholic aroma. Malts are blended with fruity esters and seem slightly sweet. Amarillo hops are floral and offer no bitterness. Maybe the best presentation of delicate hop flavors that I have yet encountered. Smooth taste that is light and refreshing to fit the summer season but this is not your simple summer thirst quencher. Complex spices and hop flavors open up with warmth. Pleasant diacetyl taste adds to a full and round mouthfeel. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly sweet (I heard described as honey and bread) - no bitterness. The alcohol may dry the mouth a little but stayed hidden as you finally sense the ABV by effect not taste. Most drinkable.

4.68/5  rDev +23.2%

Not often in life do you have a chance to say, "goddam, this could be just about perfect". You may never have a chance to have a perfect tasting beer in your life, but Three Floyds Rabbid Rabbit comes awfully close.
The first thing you will notice when the glass is poured for you is the colour. A perfect amber. It is somewhere in that special place between clear and hazy. The head was super thin to non-existant with only a film of bubbles in the surface. The carbonation is light.
I burried my nose deep into the glass to get a good feel of the smell. The aroma is grassy with strong undertones of apple, lemon, and flowers.
The taste was unique and very complex. At first I tasted something very familiar. Something I have known all my life. I couldn't quite place my finger on it. But then, after a few sips, it hit me. Apple crisp.
Apple crisp? Am I on crack?
No. If I was on crack, why the hell would I be drinking good beer when I could be out selling myself for rock.
Anyway, I did get a strong taste of apple crisp. It was very comfortable and inviting. Something I could drink often with a chicken dish.

4.67/5  rDev +22.9%

This pours hazy copper, with a bouyant speckling of sediment that looks like sawdust. My slow pour only offers a ring of foam.

Smells quite good to me - a bit off the path of a saison, as you would expect from the crew at FFF, but as they usually do (to my tastes), they have done a very good job of pushing the limits, and making a beverage more enjoyable than ever.

Taste - same thing. I pick up banana, and some dark spice. It overall tastes sweet. Candy sugar? I don't know. The alcohol is WELL hidden - it is only noticed by the thickness, not the taste. Hops are hardly presnet, but lurking there to clean things up at the finish.

Mouthfeel is creamy. Quite good.

Finish is also creamy, slightly watery at the end. It goes down leaving no aftertaste, just noticing a bit of alcohol.

Well, this is another winner from FFF for me. I'd recommend it to anybody looking for a good beer that isn't heavily hopped and slightly sweet.

Update: I keep going back to this beer. Too bad it is $10 a bottle, but I guess I can get 2 or 3 and have them over the next several months as special treats.

The part that brings me back is that is IS different. Sweet, but not a fruit-beer. Creamy. Balanced. Clean. Refereshing. Yummy. It just hits the spot.

...After revisiting this several times I have updated the mouthfeel from a 4 to a 4.5... It is really creamy.

4.6/5  rDev +21.1%

A - 22oz bomber with a very bizzarre scenario depicting a giant rabbit monster throttling a David the Gnome sort of character. Ok, whatever. The brew is an orangish bronze hue, cloudy, and golden around the edges. This one has a foamy 1 and 1/2 finger head and lots of sugary lace.

S - Butterscotch, ripe fruit, yeast, some toffee and caramel candy notes, and a banana scent that is closer to banana Laffy-Taffy than real bananas.

T - Sweet and caramely at first, then hoppy and floral in the middle before a wave of peppery alcohol spice kicks it up a notch. This is candy-sweet, slightly fruity, floral, hoppy, grassy, and very spicey. A superb brew!

M - Moderately carbonated, slightly acidic, medium/light in body, loads of spicey alcohol warmth, with a somewhat dry finish.

D - Excellent except for the price...I paid an arm and a leg for this one! I love the strange, unique, and complex flavors.

4.59/5  rDev +20.8%

On tap at Hopleaf and the bartender actually did not recommend this one but being from East Coast, eager to try.

Poured into goblet from tap and extremely impressed.

A: Very nice puffy cloud head on top of a wheaty looking light orange hue. The lacing was think and continued to substantiate itself back into what head was left through the beer. Good looking beer.

A: Belgian. Yeast and coriander and something else floating around. Based on what Ive read on other reviews, apparently chamomile. I like it.

T: Here again like the aroma, belgian yeast tied nicely into this beer. The spices were nothing short of delicious. The earthiness was great and the alcohol level was a shock to me. Did not taste one bit of it.

M: A bit fizzy but chewiness was a bit higher than most belgian beers. Carbonation was appropriate.

D: As mentioned, alcohol level was shock to me. Ive really started to like the style and FFF knocked did a great job. The coriander and other spices were a real treat.

Get out and try this one. Need some in Jersey if you dont like it.

4.59/5  rDev +20.8%

everything everyone else said. But CHAMOMILE!!!!
it shows a bit off a copper color, maybe a bit lighter.
the nose is very floral for a saison. were looking at some breadiness along with hop floral notes. the hops are a bit grassy, as in ...standing in a fresh cut flower patch.
to taste, wow!!!! chamomile, saison regulars (tang, spice, bread but add the 3floyds funk of hops and malt)
all in all, id buy this in a growler any day. thanks 3floyds.

4.59/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This is a very refreshing and unique beer. Light malty taste with a hint of citrus, however the after taste is grassy. It has a really earthy aroma and it really smells funky, but it's a really enjoyable beer.

4.57/5  rDev +20.3%

Props to my brother for bringing me this great beer to Florida.

Pours a golden cloudy yellow orange with nice head that quickly disappears.

Smell is of Wedding Cake, Cinnamon, and Chai Tea.

Taste starts off very sweet and finishes with the taste of ginger and cinnamon. There is no taste of alcohol despite the 9% ABV. I could drink two easily.

Mouthfeel is medium to thin

Drinkability is great the bomber was gone before I knew it.

Overall its a great brew. I think it falls more in the line of a fall beer as opposed to summer. I could see myself drinking this along side pumpkin beers in October/November. Its not your typical Saison, but is wonderful nonetheless. The sweet spiceyness of the beer would make it a wonderful way to finish off any meal. It's my new dessert in a bottle.

4.55/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Balls...once again, I'm impressed in a big way by 3F's. 22 oz bomber into my giant snifter...whoa, big yeast funk, just like I would want from the style...I am really impressed, I've never had a saison with that kind of funk from an American brewer (the lauded Hennepin included). Hops takes a back seat, which I am glad to smell. Strong malt sweetness, but the yeast funk is really driving this saison, exactly on point for the style. Tongue follows through with what the nose promised. A sweet and well balanced malt profile, hops in the boil for balancing but not bitter, and a huge well-developed yeast character. It also says they add chamomile and rock candy to the brew kettle, which I take to mean they add it during the boil. Very interesting. Alcohol is well-hidden. Tastes like 6% instead of 9%. Mouthfeel is as flawless as most 3Fs that I've had.

One thing that impresses me so much about this beer is how unique it is while also being true to its style. I think it could take the 'Pepsi challenge' with most champion French and Belgian saisons (and, of course, American), although perhaps some purists would beg to differ. Until they tried this beer, that is. If they could find it. You can get DuPont anywhere, but not the Rabbit (this bottle purchased at Nick's, Hammond, IN, down the road from the brewpub(which might be out of stock by now, since it is only released one month per year).

Huh, wow, I'm still drinking this and am still surprised by its sheer excellence, especially as it warms a little. I kind of picked this bottle to prove to myself that not all 3Fs beers are incredible, as I figured they would screw up a saison like most American brewers (Hennepin and Le Merle excepted of course). However, this is simply the best American saison I've ever had and I'd be interested to hear anyone's recommendations of their top American saisons too.

4.54/5  rDev +19.5%

22oz bomber poured into a chalice.

Many thanks to Tizzod, Midwestern beer guide...

Drank this with pork-bacon burgers with camembert and gorgonzola, specifically designed to pair with a saison.

This brew pours an orangey amber raising a small quickly receding head. Active carbonation is apparent. The aroma is stunning, delicious and unique; the chamomile scent, if that is what it is, is fruity and herbal, with some cinnamon and nutmeg in there, and sweet candi sugar malt as well...just a hint of band-aid. This is one of those empty bottles you keep wanting to smell.

The taste really follows through and is consistent with the expectations raised by the nose. A balanced sweetness, herbal tang, totally delicious and very successful effort at the elusive saison style. Thoroughly impressive!

4.54/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on draft, in a tulip.

A - Poured a murky, dark orange. Finger-and-a-half, frothy head.

S - A ton of fruit, citrus and berries in particular.

T - Really heavy sourness right up front; the yeast hits hard and fades into a complex, multi-faceted sweetness and spice. A subtle maltiness hangs around throughout.

M - Medium-full-bodied, and slightly aggressive fizziness.

O - Not at all what I was expecting. Very wild and flavorful.

4.53/5  rDev +19.2%

fresh rabbid rabbit -yum!

pours bright cloudy yellow golden orange with a 2 finger off white head that had good retention and left lacong all down the glass

smell is light bready banana clove earthy yeast

taste/mf - one of the best american sasions - this is a mild sasion - non of the harsh booze that i get in some - lots of smooth creamy sweet malts cut with just the right amount of fruit/spice that that the belgian yeast brings to the table

drinkability is great - one of the easiest drinking 9% abv beers out there and one that is light enough to quench my thirst on a hot summer day of a cool spring/falll night

4.52/5  rDev +18.9%

Last of a box from dakkon54!

Its really cloudy, even for a saison. Tight white head. The smell is loaded with spicy yeast esters. There an odd hint of tobacco smoke as well. The taste is very spicy, like they added black pepper. Lots of banana, and a light body. Very peppery and spicy, yes it necessitates being mentioned twice.

4.51/5  rDev +18.7%

RR is a beautiful saison.

Was lucky enough to enjoy RR in a tulip glass in the FFF brewpub during DL Day. The ambiance of the event may have levitated my review, but I've had the pleasure of this rabbit before.

There's none of the Alpha King wort present in RR, as this is a pure and independent interpretation of a Belgium, and its done very well. The appearance was a cloudy, deep yellow. A wonderful bouquet, and the mouth feel had a bit more alcohol content than I remember. Given the alcohol content it was a bit drier than my recollection, but it only forces you to slow down and savor this delicious beer.

4.49/5  rDev +18.2%

Really a interesting beer all around, from the color, to the smell and taste. Stronger abv farmhouse ale beer. Orange hazy color with small white head. Very sweet complex floral flavor with definite banana taste. Enjoyable to drink in the spring outside!

4.49/5  rDev +18.2%

One of my two bottles I picked up waiting in line for Dark Lord.

Appearance- A golden yet slightly toasted banana amber hue met with some suspended yeast more toward the bottom of my tulip glass. Ona and a half finger head reatains for little more than a minute with hardly any film.

Smell- The combination of rock condy and chammomile is very nice and unique. This maintains the traditional Belgian herbal aroma with some American flair.

Taste- A great medium sugary herbal prfile forms immediatley. Light, summery fruits mix with sugars and oddball herbs that are to describe in detail but are indeed very sweet and more specifically apple like.

Mouthfeel- A tart and earthy beginning and finish. Very sweet saison if I do say so. Mild carbination and a little dry. But good dry.

4.48/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Picked up 3 or 4 of these at dark lord day 2008. Finally getting around to opening one now.

Appearance- pours a hazy coppertone straw. Head is a bit on the smaller side given the style, even on a harder pour. Bits of lacing.

Smell- smells kind of like apple pie to me... interesting for sure. Spicy. Chamomile. Pumpkins. Pretty complex. very faint pepper with suggestions of hay. All these meld together pretty well in the smell, so lets try the taste.

Taste- Not surprisingly, much the same as the smell, but I'll reiterate anyway. Great pumpkin/apple pie taste which makes for a very interesting combination. Chamomile and spicy notes abound. Honey-like flavors as well. Overall fruity, spicy, malty, and complex. Subtle hoping.

Mouthfeel- slightly dry, big malt flavor keeps this medium-full bodied.

Drinkability/conclusion- not sure why I waited so long to try this one, and I'm equally not sure why this only is rated a B+ currently on BA. This is one of the better saisons I've had in a while I must say. Not style defining by any stretch of the imagination, but very very solid, and more enjoyable to me than many that fit perfectly into the mold. And after all... "It's not normal!"

4.47/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A hazy yellow with a nice frothy head that settles at about half a finger.

Peppery, with a hint of citrus.

Pepper taste confirmed mostly at front, ending with a squeeze of lemon and some mellow malt.

Light, crisp, and refreshing. For a beer like this, I kind of wish it would not linger quite as long on the palate.

A wonderful saison fit for a hot day.

Rabbid Rabbit from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.