Rabbid Rabbit - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Rabbid RabbitRabbid Rabbit

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.40% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-2002

7.4% ABV, 25 IBUs - This Franco-Belgian style Farmhouse Ale has an effervescent body and a light straw color. Rabbid Rabbit, with it’s light malt body, augmented by spices, is a complex and frothy beverage with a deceptively high alcohol content. March release.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 969 | Reviews: 369

1.99/5  rDev -47.1%

Serving type: 22 oz. bottle, poured into snifter.

A: Hazy gold, not much head, *very* light lacing.

S: Almost none. If I sniff really hard I can smell peaches somewhere in the distance.

T: Not like any saison I've ever had -- no fruit, no tartness, and all the wrong sort of spicing. That would be okay if I liked the taste (I'd just stop thinking of it as a saison and enjoy it for what it was), but I don't; the spice tastes almost like black pepper, which I like, but not in beer.

M: Pleasant enough in its own right but too thick and heavy for a saison. Very low carbonation.

O: Disappointing. I like some of Three Floyds' other beers but this one just doesn't do it for me. It's not a saison, it doesn't know what it wants to be instead, and whatever it is, I don't care for it.

2.01/5  rDev -46.5%

Looks like a Saison. slightly hazy gold. Nothing remarkable on for the head/lacing.
Flowery Esters and spring plants, lots of soft bready yeast, a pinch of spices, and light watery fruits like melon and honeydew.
Mouthfeel is full bodied for the style, with a lack of carbination, lost Abbey style. Not very enjoyable IMO for a saison. this one has a low drink factor because of the feel and alcohol present.
Overall one of the less amazing beer from a very amazing brewery. Ok, probally the worst beer i've had from them.

Chad

2.25/5  rDev -40.2%

2.32/5  rDev -38.3%

Poured into my Delirium Tremens Tulip. Poured right out of the refrigerator, but let it warm up significantly in the glass before tasting.

A: Great orangish appearance. Reminds me of a perfectly ripe peach. Lacing is clumpy and lingers.

N: Spice, specifically peppercorn, is foremost but is rounded out nicely with summer fruits (peach and apples predominantly). Hints of banana esters really hit home that this is a Saison. While I do enjoy the components, I don't feel they work very well together in this beer.

T: Lots of pepper on the on the front palate that leads into a subtle candy sugar sweetness that lingers. Again, the components don't play nicely together and seems a bit one dimensional with the spice dominating. The alcohol is perfectly masked though, especially for rocking out at 9%.

M: A bit buttery and thick for the style. Carbonation is well done.

D: At 9%, it is definitely not session-able, however it is quite drinkable, so be careful!

Overall I think this is just too sweet for a Saison and far too one dimensional for my liking. The spice one dimensionality and real lack of complexity make this kind of a dud in my book. Definitely a different take on the Saison style, but not to it's benefit.

2.36/5  rDev -37.2%

Served on tap in a pint glass. At $4 a pint which was a great price.
If you take the Saison Dupont as the definition of a saison (which I do), this beer IS NOT A SAISON.
a- Great look.
s- fruity,spicy. A little citrusy (lemony) and an overall smell similar to a cheap litchi liquor. Really weird for a saison.
t- Same as smell. A weird sweet litchi flavor. Nothing really of a saison. Not terrible, but not really pleasant to my taste.
m- a little too sweet (not attenuated enough) to my taste.
overall: doesn't really have anything in common with a traditional saison. The beer is not dry enough and the flavors sweet flavors. The fruitiness/spiciness is really too present and on the chemical side (to my taste). It almost taste like someone poured a little bit a of cheap litchi liquor/flavor into a beer.
Not a bad beer, but not great. And NOTHING LIKE A SAISON (flavor, smell and mouthfeel).

Just for the information, the Saison DuPont has no spices, no sugar. It's 100% pils malt, continental hops and yeast. Everything comes from the yeast (even the high attenuation). It's dry and highly carbonated.

2.42/5  rDev -35.6%

Rabbid Rabbit has a modest head and a deep golden color that strikes me as a bit on the dark side. The smells are faint but spicy and fresh. This is a deeply tangy and rather spicy beer, though I can't really pick out identifiable spice tastes. Not very much in the way of earthy or yeasty qualities here, but this is none the less a complex beer. Mouthfeel is kinda thick and syrupy, but doesn't hurt drinkability much as it seems to kind of blunt the spices. Highly carbed this might be a bit harsh. Drinkability is dangerous for a beer of this ABV. Not the faintest hint of booze. It definately had me assed. I don't know much about Saison, but I know I really liked this beer, and found myself wishing it had less alcohol so I could drink more of it.

2.5/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

A- Hazy pale bronze body that pours with a decent white head. Head eventually fades completely leaving behind very little lacing in the glass. Fogginess is uniform throughout and very dense.

S- Smell is subtle but quite Belgian in nature. A big sweet, bready yeast smell is upfront with lots of cinnamon and clove.

T- Starts off pretty well. A zing of citrus is upfront with hints of spices and lots of yeast to balance it. The citrus zing soon leaves and everything about this beer changes. A healthy dose of cinnamon and an overabundance of bready malt and yeast come forth. I'm one that loves a bread character in my beers but this one has gone too far. The flavor is cloying and hard to swallow. It lingers on and on.

M- Mouthfeel is a bit thicker than I like but is still smooth and creamy. Low to medium carbonation.

D- This is certainly out of character for a saison. I was looking forward to trying this brew from FFF and was pretty disappointed. It was difficult to drink my 750ml bottle of it. I will definitely not purchase this one again.

2.52/5  rDev -33%

If they would just call it a Belgian Style ale, I wouldn’t be such a hard critic, but a saison it is not. An ok low 3’s Belgian style, but as a saison, it misses the mark, especially in the appearence and mouthfeel department. Why would I buy this, when I can get Blaugies for the same price?

2.62/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Big thanks to Sean for getting me a bottle of this. I can't believe I havne't tried this until now. Served in a Three Floyds tulip pint because they don't make a tulip.

Pours a very hazy apricot-golden color with a very large eggshell head and loads of lacing on the way down.

The nose starts off with some heavy coriander and spice. There's a bit of pepper behind that, along with some light citrus. The flavor is similarly overwhelmed by coriander. Wow, that is a really hefty addition, and I can't say that I particularly care for it. Behind that is a bit of malt.

Body is medium and a bit chewy with a spicy coriander finish. Really unbelievable how much spice is in this one. Potentially my least favorite FFF beer ever, unfortunately.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Rabbid Rabbit from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.