Rabbid Rabbit - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.40% ABV

Availability: Spring

7.4% ABV, 25 IBUs - This Franco-Belgian style Farmhouse Ale has an effervescent body and a light straw color. Rabbid Rabbit, with it’s light malt body, augmented by spices, is a complex and frothy beverage with a deceptively high alcohol content. March release.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-2002)
stairwell2811bre

MrBuckHigh

05-08-2013 14:16:57 | More by MrBuckHigh
ScottR

1.95/5  rDev -48.3%

Serving type: 22 oz. bottle, poured into snifter.

A: Hazy gold, not much head, *very* light lacing.

S: Almost none. If I sniff really hard I can smell peaches somewhere in the distance.

T: Not like any saison I've ever had -- no fruit, no tartness, and all the wrong sort of spicing. That would be okay if I liked the taste (I'd just stop thinking of it as a saison and enjoy it for what it was), but I don't; the spice tastes almost like black pepper, which I like, but not in beer.

M: Pleasant enough in its own right but too thick and heavy for a saison. Very low carbonation.

O: Disappointing. I like some of Three Floyds' other beers but this one just doesn't do it for me. It's not a saison, it doesn't know what it wants to be instead, and whatever it is, I don't care for it.

05-04-2013 21:04:50 | More by ScottR

lswilma

Wisconsin

01-19-2014 23:41:53 | More by lswilma
ChadQuest

Looks like a Saison. slightly hazy gold. Nothing remarkable on for the head/lacing.
Flowery Esters and spring plants, lots of soft bready yeast, a pinch of spices, and light watery fruits like melon and honeydew.
Mouthfeel is full bodied for the style, with a lack of carbination, lost Abbey style. Not very enjoyable IMO for a saison. this one has a low drink factor because of the feel and alcohol present.
Overall one of the less amazing beer from a very amazing brewery. Ok, probally the worst beer i've had from them.

Chad

05-28-2010 05:22:12 | More by ChadQuest
pschul4

2.25/5  rDev -40.3%

04-25-2012 18:36:47 | More by pschul4
lordkman

2.28/5  rDev -39.5%

Poured into my Delirium Tremens Tulip. Poured right out of the refrigerator, but let it warm up significantly in the glass before tasting.

A: Great orangish appearance. Reminds me of a perfectly ripe peach. Lacing is clumpy and lingers.

N: Spice, specifically peppercorn, is foremost but is rounded out nicely with summer fruits (peach and apples predominantly). Hints of banana esters really hit home that this is a Saison. While I do enjoy the components, I don't feel they work very well together in this beer.

T: Lots of pepper on the on the front palate that leads into a subtle candy sugar sweetness that lingers. Again, the components don't play nicely together and seems a bit one dimensional with the spice dominating. The alcohol is perfectly masked though, especially for rocking out at 9%.

M: A bit buttery and thick for the style. Carbonation is well done.

D: At 9%, it is definitely not session-able, however it is quite drinkable, so be careful!

Overall I think this is just too sweet for a Saison and far too one dimensional for my liking. The spice one dimensionality and real lack of complexity make this kind of a dud in my book. Definitely a different take on the Saison style, but not to it's benefit.

04-05-2010 05:36:09 | More by lordkman
lulubrewer

Kentucky

2.3/5  rDev -39%

Served on tap in a pint glass. At $4 a pint which was a great price.
If you take the Saison Dupont as the definition of a saison (which I do), this beer IS NOT A SAISON.
a- Great look.
s- fruity,spicy. A little citrusy (lemony) and an overall smell similar to a cheap litchi liquor. Really weird for a saison.
t- Same as smell. A weird sweet litchi flavor. Nothing really of a saison. Not terrible, but not really pleasant to my taste.
m- a little too sweet (not attenuated enough) to my taste.
overall: doesn't really have anything in common with a traditional saison. The beer is not dry enough and the flavors sweet flavors. The fruitiness/spiciness is really too present and on the chemical side (to my taste). It almost taste like someone poured a little bit a of cheap litchi liquor/flavor into a beer.
Not a bad beer, but not great. And NOTHING LIKE A SAISON (flavor, smell and mouthfeel).

Just for the information, the Saison DuPont has no spices, no sugar. It's 100% pils malt, continental hops and yeast. Everything comes from the yeast (even the high attenuation). It's dry and highly carbonated.

05-09-2013 14:28:48 | More by lulubrewer
JudgeRoughneck

Louisiana

2.38/5  rDev -36.9%

Rabbid Rabbit has a modest head and a deep golden color that strikes me as a bit on the dark side. The smells are faint but spicy and fresh. This is a deeply tangy and rather spicy beer, though I can't really pick out identifiable spice tastes. Not very much in the way of earthy or yeasty qualities here, but this is none the less a complex beer. Mouthfeel is kinda thick and syrupy, but doesn't hurt drinkability much as it seems to kind of blunt the spices. Highly carbed this might be a bit harsh. Drinkability is dangerous for a beer of this ABV. Not the faintest hint of booze. It definately had me assed. I don't know much about Saison, but I know I really liked this beer, and found myself wishing it had less alcohol so I could drink more of it.

07-24-2006 05:23:37 | More by JudgeRoughneck
PittBeerGirl

2.42/5  rDev -35.8%

A- Hazy pale bronze body that pours with a decent white head. Head eventually fades completely leaving behind very little lacing in the glass. Fogginess is uniform throughout and very dense.

S- Smell is subtle but quite Belgian in nature. A big sweet, bready yeast smell is upfront with lots of cinnamon and clove.

T- Starts off pretty well. A zing of citrus is upfront with hints of spices and lots of yeast to balance it. The citrus zing soon leaves and everything about this beer changes. A healthy dose of cinnamon and an overabundance of bready malt and yeast come forth. I'm one that loves a bread character in my beers but this one has gone too far. The flavor is cloying and hard to swallow. It lingers on and on.

M- Mouthfeel is a bit thicker than I like but is still smooth and creamy. Low to medium carbonation.

D- This is certainly out of character for a saison. I was looking forward to trying this brew from FFF and was pretty disappointed. It was difficult to drink my 750ml bottle of it. I will definitely not purchase this one again.

10-02-2007 16:34:07 | More by PittBeerGirl

06-19-2014 01:07:35 | More by tykechandler
Crosling

Colorado

2.55/5  rDev -32.4%

If they would just call it a Belgian Style ale, I wouldn’t be such a hard critic, but a saison it is not. An ok low 3’s Belgian style, but as a saison, it misses the mark, especially in the appearence and mouthfeel department. Why would I buy this, when I can get Blaugies for the same price?

09-03-2006 16:08:37 | More by Crosling
Thorpe429

2.6/5  rDev -31%

Big thanks to Sean for getting me a bottle of this. I can't believe I havne't tried this until now. Served in a Three Floyds tulip pint because they don't make a tulip.

Pours a very hazy apricot-golden color with a very large eggshell head and loads of lacing on the way down.

The nose starts off with some heavy coriander and spice. There's a bit of pepper behind that, along with some light citrus. The flavor is similarly overwhelmed by coriander. Wow, that is a really hefty addition, and I can't say that I particularly care for it. Behind that is a bit of malt.

Body is medium and a bit chewy with a spicy coriander finish. Really unbelievable how much spice is in this one. Potentially my least favorite FFF beer ever, unfortunately.

04-03-2012 23:40:33 | More by Thorpe429
maxpower

Missouri

2.6/5  rDev -31%

22 oz bottle pours a hazy copper color with a small off white head that doesn't last long and leaves very little lacing in the glass. Aromas of flowers and spice, spicy yeast, honey and hay flavors. Medium bodied with a smooth mouthfeel, finishes dry. Good drinkability for the 7.4% alcohol and that is about it, 9 bucks a bottle I just don't get it.

05-28-2006 19:50:11 | More by maxpower
Vancer

2.65/5  rDev -29.7%

Well I’m a tad bummed with this brew. It’s better as it warms, but still, I’m just not impressed.

Crystal clear amber pour to start, but by end of bottle the swirl added a nice hazy yeast bomb.

Fruity in the aroma and taste, but wow, a quirky orange bubble-gum dominated the taste-buds. Very sweet and gummy brew, it just doesn’t cut it as a saison. And for freakin’ $9 a bomber – brother, I’ll spend my money elsewhere next time.

10-18-2006 15:24:28 | More by Vancer