Rabbid Rabbit - 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Rabbid RabbitRabbid Rabbit

3 Floyds Brewing Co. visit their website
Indiana, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.40% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-2002

7.4% ABV, 25 IBUs - This Franco-Belgian style Farmhouse Ale has an effervescent body and a light straw color. Rabbid Rabbit, with it’s light malt body, augmented by spices, is a complex and frothy beverage with a deceptively high alcohol content. March release.
Reviews: 377 | Hads: 1,044
1.99/5  rDev -47.6%

Serving type: 22 oz. bottle, poured into snifter.

A: Hazy gold, not much head, *very* light lacing.

S: Almost none. If I sniff really hard I can smell peaches somewhere in the distance.

T: Not like any saison I've ever had -- no fruit, no tartness, and all the wrong sort of spicing. That would be okay if I liked the taste (I'd just stop thinking of it as a saison and enjoy it for what it was), but I don't; the spice tastes almost like black pepper, which I like, but not in beer.

M: Pleasant enough in its own right but too thick and heavy for a saison. Very low carbonation.

O: Disappointing. I like some of Three Floyds' other beers but this one just doesn't do it for me. It's not a saison, it doesn't know what it wants to be instead, and whatever it is, I don't care for it.

2.01/5  rDev -47.1%

Looks like a Saison. slightly hazy gold. Nothing remarkable on for the head/lacing.
Flowery Esters and spring plants, lots of soft bready yeast, a pinch of spices, and light watery fruits like melon and honeydew.
Mouthfeel is full bodied for the style, with a lack of carbination, lost Abbey style. Not very enjoyable IMO for a saison. this one has a low drink factor because of the feel and alcohol present.
Overall one of the less amazing beer from a very amazing brewery. Ok, probally the worst beer i've had from them.

2.32/5  rDev -38.9%

Poured into my Delirium Tremens Tulip. Poured right out of the refrigerator, but let it warm up significantly in the glass before tasting.

A: Great orangish appearance. Reminds me of a perfectly ripe peach. Lacing is clumpy and lingers.

N: Spice, specifically peppercorn, is foremost but is rounded out nicely with summer fruits (peach and apples predominantly). Hints of banana esters really hit home that this is a Saison. While I do enjoy the components, I don't feel they work very well together in this beer.

T: Lots of pepper on the on the front palate that leads into a subtle candy sugar sweetness that lingers. Again, the components don't play nicely together and seems a bit one dimensional with the spice dominating. The alcohol is perfectly masked though, especially for rocking out at 9%.

M: A bit buttery and thick for the style. Carbonation is well done.

D: At 9%, it is definitely not session-able, however it is quite drinkable, so be careful!

Overall I think this is just too sweet for a Saison and far too one dimensional for my liking. The spice one dimensionality and real lack of complexity make this kind of a dud in my book. Definitely a different take on the Saison style, but not to it's benefit.

2.36/5  rDev -37.9%

Served on tap in a pint glass. At $4 a pint which was a great price.
If you take the Saison Dupont as the definition of a saison (which I do), this beer IS NOT A SAISON.
a- Great look.
s- fruity,spicy. A little citrusy (lemony) and an overall smell similar to a cheap litchi liquor. Really weird for a saison.
t- Same as smell. A weird sweet litchi flavor. Nothing really of a saison. Not terrible, but not really pleasant to my taste.
m- a little too sweet (not attenuated enough) to my taste.
overall: doesn't really have anything in common with a traditional saison. The beer is not dry enough and the flavors sweet flavors. The fruitiness/spiciness is really too present and on the chemical side (to my taste). It almost taste like someone poured a little bit a of cheap litchi liquor/flavor into a beer.
Not a bad beer, but not great. And NOTHING LIKE A SAISON (flavor, smell and mouthfeel).

Just for the information, the Saison DuPont has no spices, no sugar. It's 100% pils malt, continental hops and yeast. Everything comes from the yeast (even the high attenuation). It's dry and highly carbonated.

2.42/5  rDev -36.3%

Rabbid Rabbit has a modest head and a deep golden color that strikes me as a bit on the dark side. The smells are faint but spicy and fresh. This is a deeply tangy and rather spicy beer, though I can't really pick out identifiable spice tastes. Not very much in the way of earthy or yeasty qualities here, but this is none the less a complex beer. Mouthfeel is kinda thick and syrupy, but doesn't hurt drinkability much as it seems to kind of blunt the spices. Highly carbed this might be a bit harsh. Drinkability is dangerous for a beer of this ABV. Not the faintest hint of booze. It definately had me assed. I don't know much about Saison, but I know I really liked this beer, and found myself wishing it had less alcohol so I could drink more of it.

2.5/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

A- Hazy pale bronze body that pours with a decent white head. Head eventually fades completely leaving behind very little lacing in the glass. Fogginess is uniform throughout and very dense.

S- Smell is subtle but quite Belgian in nature. A big sweet, bready yeast smell is upfront with lots of cinnamon and clove.

T- Starts off pretty well. A zing of citrus is upfront with hints of spices and lots of yeast to balance it. The citrus zing soon leaves and everything about this beer changes. A healthy dose of cinnamon and an overabundance of bready malt and yeast come forth. I'm one that loves a bread character in my beers but this one has gone too far. The flavor is cloying and hard to swallow. It lingers on and on.

M- Mouthfeel is a bit thicker than I like but is still smooth and creamy. Low to medium carbonation.

D- This is certainly out of character for a saison. I was looking forward to trying this brew from FFF and was pretty disappointed. It was difficult to drink my 750ml bottle of it. I will definitely not purchase this one again.

2.52/5  rDev -33.7%

If they would just call it a Belgian Style ale, I wouldn’t be such a hard critic, but a saison it is not. An ok low 3’s Belgian style, but as a saison, it misses the mark, especially in the appearence and mouthfeel department. Why would I buy this, when I can get Blaugies for the same price?

2.62/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Big thanks to Sean for getting me a bottle of this. I can't believe I havne't tried this until now. Served in a Three Floyds tulip pint because they don't make a tulip.

Pours a very hazy apricot-golden color with a very large eggshell head and loads of lacing on the way down.

The nose starts off with some heavy coriander and spice. There's a bit of pepper behind that, along with some light citrus. The flavor is similarly overwhelmed by coriander. Wow, that is a really hefty addition, and I can't say that I particularly care for it. Behind that is a bit of malt.

Body is medium and a bit chewy with a spicy coriander finish. Really unbelievable how much spice is in this one. Potentially my least favorite FFF beer ever, unfortunately.

2.63/5  rDev -30.8%

22 oz bottle pours a hazy copper color with a small off white head that doesn't last long and leaves very little lacing in the glass. Aromas of flowers and spice, spicy yeast, honey and hay flavors. Medium bodied with a smooth mouthfeel, finishes dry. Good drinkability for the 7.4% alcohol and that is about it, 9 bucks a bottle I just don't get it.

2.69/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer was a strange experience for me. I could'nt find Rabbid Rabbit in Cincinnati or Indiana. On a trip to Philly I found a few bottles at the Foodery. What the?

The beer was served in a wide mouthed wine goblet.

Apperance: The beer poured a hazy gold copper tinged coloration. The head was two fingers high. The head was fluffy and long lasting.

Smell: What happened to the smell? The beers smell was almost not present. The beer has faint floral/ herbal tea smells.

Taste: I was seriously disappointed with this beer. This was like drinking a very weak sweet Celestial Seasons herbal tea. Frankly this beer was not brewed to my taste.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: This beer is slightly less than medium bodied. The beer has a dry peppery finish. The beer is a bit too subtle and sweet for my taste. This was a strange beer experience for me. This is a Three Floyds beer I dont like and will not buy again. I suggest to my other BA's to drink something else.

2.7/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Well I’m a tad bummed with this brew. It’s better as it warms, but still, I’m just not impressed.

Crystal clear amber pour to start, but by end of bottle the swirl added a nice hazy yeast bomb.

Fruity in the aroma and taste, but wow, a quirky orange bubble-gum dominated the taste-buds. Very sweet and gummy brew, it just doesn’t cut it as a saison. And for freakin’ $9 a bomber – brother, I’ll spend my money elsewhere next time.

2.77/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Pours a virtually opaque orange-yellow with over three fingers of fluffy white foam.

Smell: Light banana esters from the yeast and bottle-conditioning, peppery spice, a bit musty and somewhat sweet. Overall, fairly faint and unimpressive.

Taste: Herbal spiciness and subtle fruitiness. Not sure if its just from reading the description but I do get hints of rock candy sugar. Has a spicy sweet alcoholic finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, fairly thin, and surprisingly low carbonation.

Overall, I really did not care for this beer. It's labeled a saison but it doesn't feel like one to me. I found it to be overly spicy and lacking in fruitiness/tartness (both of which are characteristic of saisons). The low carbonation was also very strange and unappealing and probably the worst thing about this beer. It's brewed with rock candy and chamomile, which I found interesting but ultimately the flavors don't mesh well and the resulting brew is disappointing. I would never buy this again and I frankly I wouldn't even recommend it, especially at an inflated $11 a bottle.

2.8/5  rDev -26.3%

Bottle shared by Fisherman34- big kudos to Kris for sharing this rare bottle of FFF!! I had high expectations for this brew, but it didn’t quite live up to them. Aroma- was earthy spices and cinnamon. Poured out a foggy orange, with no head or lacing to speak of. First time I’ve seen that with a saison style beer. Taste was like a big old bowl of cinammon toast crunch- very bready, toasty and extra helpings of cinammon and sugar. Mouthfeel was pretty thick and carbonation was medium to low- not in style. The finish of the beer was more dry than sweet , and I picked up some booziness on the finish. Not my thing, but an interesting take on the style. Thanks again for the share Fisherman34!

2.85/5  rDev -25%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

22 FL OZ. bottle in a tuplip glass.

A - Cloudy orange with a thin white head.

S - Really sweet like candy. The bottle says they put rock candy in there and it is very apparent in the smell.

T - Very unique flavor. I don't know if I really like it or not. I know I can't drink a lot of it. It is like drinking rock candy. Weird!

M - Light bodied with good carbonation.

D - I'm not a fan. It's too weird.

2.85/5  rDev -25%

A- Pours a golden haze with a head that looks like a thick sea foam. The bottle says a slight haze, but I find it a little more on the heavy side.

S- Was expecting a little more anything from this, but just really don't find much there.

T- Taste like a standard belgium.

M- A little alcohol burn in the back of the throat. With a little less carbonation than I would hope for.

O- A standard Belgium that doesn't really do much for me.

2.89/5  rDev -23.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Dogfish shaped pint glass. Poured a hazy amber color with a thin spotty white head. The head disappeared after a minute or so and didn't leave any lacing.

The aroma has a peppery spice to it with a slightly fruity, citrus flavor going on as well. It has a decent aroma to it overall, but it smells like it could have a ton of spice in the taste which scares me.

The taste hits me with a huge unexpected peppercorn flavor right off the bat. Wow is that peppery. It has a bit of a citrusy, orange peel flavor to it and a bit of tart fruit as well, but it's tough to get past the strong spice. The pepper spice is just way too strong for me overall. I will say it tastes incredibly light for being 9%.

The Mouthfeel is on the lighter side with carbonation being on the moderate side. Drinkability is average at best for me, the pepper flavor was just too much for me. It seemed to have some good flavors but they were just overshadowed by the spice. Not one of my favorite FFF beers overall.

2.93/5  rDev -22.9%

A: Nice pumpkin gold color, somewhat hazy. Huge semi-tight white head billows over the top of the glass.

S: Floral and yeasty with obvious Belgian strains. Some banana, spice and coconut.

T: Very tropical. I was surprised when I smelled coconut, yet even more surprised when I tasted it. Friggin banana esters thru the roof, what the hell is in this beer? Obvious coriander with clove, chamomile and a strong cookie dough after taste. Really sweet, almost syrupy...cloying. Poor attempt at bittering hops towards the end to balance it out...this beer is anything but balanced.

M: Bit thick and syrupy. Does not fit the style well.

D: It was hot and I was thirsty. Generally saisons and heat go really well together. I was hoping for something a bit dry that begins the self perpetuating cycle of drinking a saison because it makes you thirsty. This is just sweet.

2.96/5  rDev -22.1%

Pale hazy yellow with a sticky white head.

Sugary-spicy smell, toffee, chamomile is evident, hints of alcohol.

Very sweet in the mouth. Holy cow. Chamomile is there in spades, especially the dry finish. Otherwise, syrupy toffee and lemon and a splash of alcohol.

Full bodied, creamy and smooth. I think 3F is the king of mouthfeel.

A unique saison. Comfortable enough beer, too sweet for me (and for the style, really). One will suffice. I'm not likely to have this beer again, hence the low drinkability score. I'm a bit disappointed, but 3F is better at hoppy than subtle anyway.

Bought this one at Amarnetti's this weekend. I have been looking forward to trying a local saison. Maybe I had my hopes to high since it was 3F, but I was a bit disappointed. It poured a fairly clear amber hue. The sweetness hits you in the nose. THe alcohol was too up front for me, especially for a saison. I found the chamomile accents off-putting, as well as the sweetness. The mouthfeel was ok, but lacking the fullness I look for in a saison.

I think if 3F's said they were making a strong belgian ale in the spirit of Duvel, I would have had a very different approach to this beer. The profile of it fits much better with that style. I liked Rabbid Rabbit, but I really would not call it a saison.

Bottle from Robertdoesbeer: Poured a slightly dark yellow color ale with a medium bubbly white head with minimal retention. Aroma of spices is interesting with some subtle (for 3F anyway) citrus hops. Taste is a bit puzzling with a nice mix between some sweet malt and great spice mix. The end is a bit too dry and a tad too hoppy for my own taste. Body is way too thin for the style and way too filtered IMO. Even though it is an interesting beer, there is no way that this is close to the farmhouse Saison style being brewed in Belgium.

A- Hazy amber color, white frothy foamy head.

S- The brett smell is there for sure, right up front. Very sour and yet there is a great sweet cherry malt smell.

T- Cinnamon is very large, but there isn't much else in terms of taste. Malty with a touch of cherry, but nothing else. I'm not getting much else in terms of flavors.

M- Thin and not much else.

D- Meh, not really. The cinnamon taste is weird for a beer like this. Not digging it.

Bottle poured into a tulip glass

While I was hoping for a great experience with this beer, it's just okay. Rabbid Rabbit does not have that great saison smell that lures you in nor the full flavor.

The taste falls flat. It has a bit of complexity but fades quickly and doesn't have the hoppy citrus blend I prefer.

Try a Boulevard Saison Brett, you will enjoy much more.

3.02/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Review from 7-10

A - Doesn't look very good. Golden-peachy with no head. Looks lifeless.

S - Smells like a big sweet pale-malty slight mess, honestly. Big apple aromas. Not to be confused with aromas of The Big Apple. I am also getting some strong peppercorn. As it airs out, the sweetness is somewhat tempered, but is still not stellar.

T - The peppercorn is in full-force, coupled with a caramel sweetness and an apple juice tang. I finally got around to reading the bottle, and it says that this is brewed with chamomile, which accounts for the spiciness, I guess. This beer tastes 'experimental', I don't know what else to say. Reminiscent of beers from Kleinbrouwerij De Glazen-Toren and to some degree some Fantome and De Dolle, I wouldn't be surprised if a beer from the aforementioned brewers were a reference point in this brew's creation. It is not a failure, nor a success.

M - The beer is too flaccid to be this big-bodied, or too big-bodied to be this flaccid. Either way, it misses the mark.

D - This beer is one of the most flawed beers I've seen from FFF, I am surprised by it.

3.05/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

This beer has an almost rancid resiny aroma. The taste follows suite. If someone were to make a beer out of Brussels sprouts this is what I imagine it would taste like. Somehow it is light on the tongue with a relatively smooth finish. I almost found the finish better than the beer itself. Fairly pleasant after taste.

3.06/5  rDev -19.5%

A: Golden-yellow with crazy haze. Fluffy head that hangs around for a while. Little lace.

S: Like a Hefe. Bananas, pepper, clove. Is this a Hefe?

T: Pepper is there. This is a Hefe. Good but different and unexpected.

M: Smooth, tasty. Easy drinking.

O: Good beer but not a Saison at all. A Hefe!

Rabbid Rabbit from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.