Rabbid Rabbit - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.40% ABV

Availability: Spring

7.4% ABV, 25 IBUs - This Franco-Belgian style Farmhouse Ale has an effervescent body and a light straw color. Rabbid Rabbit, with it’s light malt body, augmented by spices, is a complex and frothy beverage with a deceptively high alcohol content. March release.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-2002)
3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

cold from the tap like opaque clover honey to a 12oz goblet with a 1/2 finger frothy white short lasting head leaving a ring of lace after each sip.

super subtle aroma of spice and citrus.

nice balanced blend of honey, spice, orangey citrus and a hint of lemon. a funky farmhouse hops makes it's way to the front after a few sips.

medium bodied, bigger carbonation than expected, creamy smooth. mostly sweet with faint bitter to the back of the tongue.

drinkable - sure, a couple.

robwestcott, Mar 31, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

22oz capped bottle. its about time i tried another three floyds beer, and a seasonal picked up the day it hits the shelves here seems perfect. drank from my duvel tulip.

A- this one pours out a very hazy golden orange colored body with a full finger of bright white head on top. the head lasts for a while, and leaves behind a solid wall of lacing. very nice.

S- the first thing that comes to mind after taking a whiff of this is fruity. lots of pear, apricot, peach, nectarine, and green apples greet my nose. it also seems very spicy. lots of coriander and black pepper.

T- after taking a sip i get an initial blast of spicy pepper and coriander. after that im able to pick up a variety of summer fruits. green apples, pears, peaches, nectarines, and a little bit of tangerines. a little bit of toasted bread and honey also sneak through.

M- medium bodied, bordering on light. the carbonation is a bit high, but it seems to work with this one. the alcohol seems pretty well hidden with all the spiciness here.

O- easy to finish and another win for three floyds. not your average saison. check this one out if youre either a fan of the style or a fan of the brewery. too strong to have another one of, but a bottle split between two people seemed perfect.

jwinship83, Mar 29, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Very hazy, cloudy apricot-orange pour. Head quickly recedes, little lacing. Looks yeasty.

Smell: A bit of a no-show; yeasty, malty and peppery.

Taste: Very muddled and yeasty, with some peppery flavors and light malts. Not impressed. Randome bits of corander, herbs and spices. I get vitamin D milk on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Slightly thin for what it is. Carbonation is a bit low, bubbles are too big.

Overall/Drinkability: I didn't finish the bomber, I was not impressed with this beer as compared to others of this style. 3F is a great brewery, but you can't be good at everything.

craytonic, Mar 23, 2011

Pours a pretty hazy yellow with a slight head that fades away relatively quickly. Leaves good lacing.

Smell is classic saison to me. A refreshing bit of lemon, yeast, and I can pick up a bit of the chamomile. Smells really sweet.

Just like the smell, this is pretty classic saison to me. Light lemon/yeast/spices. I think a variety of the spices and stuff like clove, coriander, and chamomile really distinguish this ale.

Mouthfeel is full of carbonation.

Overall, pretty good. When I think of saisons, I think of really nice, refreshing beers, and this is certainly one despite being 9% ABV. This is my first Three Floyd's beer, and will definitely not be my last!

RTJakarta, Mar 22, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +16.2%

A- poured a solid cloudy amber with a great fogginess. a light almost white head on top formed on top from a highly carbonated body, the duvel tulip kept the head around a little longer than i would have otherwise thought.

S- lemon citrus, slight caramel sweetness on the nose, maltiness is pretty solid with a light character. light and refreshing.

T- seemingly light and refreshing, pretty lemony again, light spice, light belgian yeast characteristics which seem pretty nice. seems a little bit sweet, but has a nice complexity and solid crispness, the coriander seems pretty light, but its noticable and gives a decent undertone to the rest of the beer.

M- high carbonation at the pour, which seems right to style,

D- Overall a pretty solid beer all around I really enjoyed this one.

LiquidBread219, Mar 20, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +20.7%

fresh rabbid rabbit -yum!

pours bright cloudy yellow golden orange with a 2 finger off white head that had good retention and left lacong all down the glass

smell is light bready banana clove earthy yeast

taste/mf - one of the best american sasions - this is a mild sasion - non of the harsh booze that i get in some - lots of smooth creamy sweet malts cut with just the right amount of fruit/spice that that the belgian yeast brings to the table

drinkability is great - one of the easiest drinking 9% abv beers out there and one that is light enough to quench my thirst on a hot summer day of a cool spring/falll night

jsh420, Mar 16, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured into a tulip from a 22oz bomber.

A - Pours a nice slightly bright and orange golden straw color with a thin .25 inch head with medium sized bubbles that dissipate quickly. Slightly hazy look but not too foggy.

S - Sweet clove hints starts off with then some nice clove. Good funk and phenolic aroma. There is some awesome spice to this beer. Pepper and coriander are extremely present. There is some slight hints of celery as well. Very refreshing and enticing. The aroma is good but I would enjoy some more of the barn aroma.

T & M - Starts off with some nice smooth malt and bread character that develops into a nice sweetness. Hints of clove and pear/apple juice are present. The phenols in this beer are intoxicating for me. Very nice. The spices are also very good with nice pepper and delicious coriander hints all over. It is quite flowery as well. There is some good crisp carbonation and a nice clean flavor. It could use a bit more funk but its still good. There is a nice hop bitterness and dry feel at the end.

D - Very high in terms of flavor but the hidden 9% ABV might be a bit much. Very god take on the style. Not classic but a good interpretation.

JoEBoBpr, Nov 18, 2010
3.05/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Review from 7-10

A - Doesn't look very good. Golden-peachy with no head. Looks lifeless.

S - Smells like a big sweet pale-malty slight mess, honestly. Big apple aromas. Not to be confused with aromas of The Big Apple. I am also getting some strong peppercorn. As it airs out, the sweetness is somewhat tempered, but is still not stellar.

T - The peppercorn is in full-force, coupled with a caramel sweetness and an apple juice tang. I finally got around to reading the bottle, and it says that this is brewed with chamomile, which accounts for the spiciness, I guess. This beer tastes 'experimental', I don't know what else to say. Reminiscent of beers from Kleinbrouwerij De Glazen-Toren and to some degree some Fantome and De Dolle, I wouldn't be surprised if a beer from the aforementioned brewers were a reference point in this brew's creation. It is not a failure, nor a success.

M - The beer is too flaccid to be this big-bodied, or too big-bodied to be this flaccid. Either way, it misses the mark.

D - This beer is one of the most flawed beers I've seen from FFF, I am surprised by it.

ktrillionaire, Nov 12, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +15.4%

The RR pours a murky tinged gold with medium consistency and a quickly dissipating thin white head. It's definitely got some funk to it. It smells yeasty, sweet, and has this spicy funkyness to it. The flavor echoes the aromas. The spicy funkiness hits you after the sweet yeast flavors and is in between pine and citrus. It drinks pretty smoothly and has moderate carbonation. I really like this one. It's unique yet what I'd expect from the style. I recommend it.

aasher, Oct 31, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Got this one from EchoCharlieEcho, cheers Elisabeth!

Pours apricot colored with a pinky of ivory colored head. Minimal head retention & lacing, some oily sheen to this

S: Apple skins & white grapes & pears once warm

T: Follows the nose, also getting candi sugar & chipotle pepper spicyness (??? it's working for me) & dryness up front. Apple peels, peppery hops & slight earthy funk as this warms. Finishes dry, fruitty & with a slight honey sweetness & peppercorn

MF: Medium bodied, slick with minimal carbonation

Drinks easy enough, the ABV is well hidden. This one is a bit different, nice change of pace, not really a "go to" Saison IMO. I come to expect a lot from FFF, this really didn't deliver

russpowell, Oct 20, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -8.5%

poured into a tulip

A.

A golden straw colored beer. about 1 fingers worth of white head. a little effervescent looking.

S.

I'm getting some flowery hops and a little pepper and some spice. That's about it however.

T.

peppery spice and yeast. a little malt in there. not really hoppy at all. decent tasting but the pepper and spice is a little too much for my taste.

M.

about medium bodied. very carbonated. flavors linger around in the mouth a bit.

D.

a decent beer, but the combo of it being relatively high alcohol and the fact its not a favorite of mine. i wouldnt really rank it that high.

cetherid, Oct 17, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +13.5%

I hate how FFF never puts the date on bottles, however, I'm aware that this was an April release and the store where I recently bought this from probably held onto this longer than they should have.

A: Very cloudy, yet bright orange with about and inch to inch.5 pillowy head that quickly dissipated.

S: Chamomile, muted citrus, and tons of yeasty goodness.

T: Full of taste with the chamomile being the most prominent, and I chuckled when I tasted the rock candy in the aftertaste. The best way to drink this is to hold a sip in your mouth for a few seconds then swallow. After doing that a few times, I could actually taste FFF taste profile on the end! There are some many spices in this dang beer, I actually lost count after about 1,000,000!

M: Sweet and candy-like....How many times have you actually heard that combo to describe a saison? I need to scrub my tongue to get the chamomile and yeast off, but dammit...I like it!

D: One of the weirdest beers I've ever tasted and the sweetness might start to grate on me after a while, but this brew is fantastic. I had had this one last year and forgotten how good it was. When the season rolls around again, I'll definitely trade for a couple more of these or get my family in the Midwest to pick me up some more.

Chaney, Oct 06, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Dan for bringing this one by the other night. Pours a cloudy yellow/amber with a minimal amount of white foam. Aromas of brown spices, black pepper and Belgian yeast. Flavors of candi sugar, brown spices and yeast. A pretty decent effort, and enjoyable, but not among the upper tier of U.S. saisons.

emmasdad, Oct 04, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -16.4%

I have no idea what inspired the name of this beer, but I hope to find out someday. Maybe it means nothing. Mabye it's like the "33" on a bottle of Roling Rock. Who knows? If the name is a bit different, but the beer is bit....well, not as good as it used to be. This Rabid Rabbit tastes a bit like a strong Euro-lager with a somewhat unpleasant phenolic character. Not as a complex as I remember, nor as tart and spicy. It is golden to amber in color. There is alcohol and some decent bitterness I suppose, but overall I'm very disapointed with this beer.

marcobrau, Sep 20, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured from 22oz bottle into Tulip.

A. 1 finger head. Pretty thick lacing. Good retention. Color is pure golden.

S. Smell is somewhat hoppy for a Tripel. Nice spice note that you also dont usually find in a Tripel. Some white pepper aroma. Pretty spicy aroma.

T. Taste is very peppery as well. Some malt and belgian yeast lie below. I like pepper dont get me wrong, but I also like my Tripels. Interesting combination, and one that I think goes together well, but I would ease the pepperiness.

M. Medium bodied. Medium carbonation. Pretty dry but the pepperiness lingers on.

D. Fairly drinkable. This is a unique beer. I know that pepper and saison are a good combo. This might be just a little too peppery.

siradmiralnelson, Sep 10, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

poured out of a 22oz bottle into a Reidel Stemless Red Wine Glass

it pours a hazy orangeish yellowish with a nice soft 1" head on it.

smells nice and yeasty with some nice spices to it, not blowing me away on the smell, but mostly like a Saison should smell

taste is kind of bland for me which is too bad as most of the 3F brews i've had are full of flavor. This didn't have enough of citrus, or spice for me to really get excited about it. It was very drinkable and tasty though, just not up to the top quality thats avaliable for this style.

very easy drinking with great smooth mouthfeel

psiweaver, Aug 26, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance- light copper in color, small white head, quickly disipating, little lacing

Smell- peppery, clove, sweet fruit, a bit grassy. the aroma reminds me of a triple.

Taste- a bit spicy, lots of clove and banana, subtle hints of the chamomile. flower-y!?

Mouthfeel- medium body, average carbonation

Overall- Very drinkable. Solid brew, may have held on to this bottle a bit too long. When fresh this beer is hard to beat.

JLeege, Aug 22, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

22oz bottle purchased at Dark Lord Day 2009. We bought a half case for my fiancee, who loves this beer. We stored these in our beer fridge at 42 degrees. This beer was opened to celebrate a friends birthday about 16 months after its bottling date.

Clear orange with some copper and amber hints. Head hangs on with a meager strength before fading away. Just not a great looking saison due to the lack of head and lace.

Smell is a mixture of fruit and herb. There's some peach and apricot hints, then the chamomile takes over. It provides lavendar and flowery hints, and makes this uniue and very good.

This beer tastes great. It has nice herbal qualities from the tea, lavendar and corriander notes, and it has some nice sweetness from the malt. Candi sugar and honey combine with fruitiness to create a unique and pleasant American take on the saison.

Mouthfeel is good for the style. It has medium body and appropriate medium carbonation. The beer is drinkable and enjoyable. The chamomile provides the depth most American saisons are missing from their Belgian farmhouse counterparts. This is a unique and enjoyable beer, recommended for all, and something I would buy again.

jampics2, Aug 13, 2010
2.85/5  rDev -24.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Dogfish shaped pint glass. Poured a hazy amber color with a thin spotty white head. The head disappeared after a minute or so and didn't leave any lacing.

The aroma has a peppery spice to it with a slightly fruity, citrus flavor going on as well. It has a decent aroma to it overall, but it smells like it could have a ton of spice in the taste which scares me.

The taste hits me with a huge unexpected peppercorn flavor right off the bat. Wow is that peppery. It has a bit of a citrusy, orange peel flavor to it and a bit of tart fruit as well, but it's tough to get past the strong spice. The pepper spice is just way too strong for me overall. I will say it tastes incredibly light for being 9%.

The Mouthfeel is on the lighter side with carbonation being on the moderate side. Drinkability is average at best for me, the pepper flavor was just too much for me. It seemed to have some good flavors but they were just overshadowed by the spice. Not one of my favorite FFF beers overall.

billab914, Jul 23, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

650 ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Hazy orange color - very murky looking, thick head recedes quickly. Lots of yeasty sediments collects at the bottom of the glass.

S: Peppery, spicy aroma.

T: Lots of orange peel with a little rum. Very spicy -- mainly peppery type grains of paradise flavor with some alcohol notes.

M: Pretty full bodied beer with lots of carbonation.

D: Nice summer beer to drink on the patio on a hot day. Definitely get another bomber, but I'll be a little more careful in the pour, as there's lots of sediment in this beer.

chaz01, Jul 04, 2010
3.3/5  rDev -12.5%

22oz. bottle poured into a tulip. No bottled date.

(A)- Pours a hazy golden hue that produced a good foamy white head.

(S)- A spicy, very spicy cinnamon and ginger-like apple and wheat aroma.

(T)- Pretty much just like the smell; a fruity apple profile with a spicy background of nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon. Reminds me of apple pie.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. Rather fruity and spicy. Crisp. A much different take on the style. Smooth too, especially considering it is 9%ABV.

(D)- A tasty brew. When you consider the style though, it fits, but in a twisted or bizarre way. I definitely was hoping for some funk, but this is a much more fruit and spice driven one. Not bad, just not what I was expecting. 3 Floyds has better offerings.

sweemzander, Jul 01, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -1.9%

Special thanks to Bluejacket74 for hooking this up.

A- Poured from the bottle with a diffuse white head and a collar. No substantial lacing. The body was a hazy pale amber color with a moderate carbonation observed from the sides of the glass.

S- A rich aroma that is yeast forward... a spicy phenolic Belgian yeast aroma presides over a dry pale malt base. Impressions of artisanal bread dough. No hop aroma at all.

T- As anticipated, the pale malts and Belgian yeast dominate the palate. Spicy on the midpalate. Moderately bitter in the dry, peppery finish... not exclusively a hop bitterness... more quinine-like. Overall, I feel like this lacks complexity and deviates substantially from the prototypical saison.

M- A medium body, leaning towards the thin side, with a unique texture that is partially influenced by an abrasive carbonation. A bit of astringency in the mouthfeel as well.

D- Reasonably drinkable... the high ABV is actually well hidden... I never would have guessed 9% ABV by taste alone!

jgasparine, Jun 28, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

22oz bomber courtesy of bauermj thanx for hooking me up

A: poured a pale hazy orange with yellow highlights and a thin head that left very little sticky lacing.

S: apple pepper aromas and orange zest dominate the nose with faint banana and coriander notes. There is also some spice, sweet malts, slight wheat and booze.

T: there actually is pepper flavors apples faint bananas spices and wheat malts. The orange zest and booze are faint but are there in the back.

M: medium to full body with a low amount of carbonation that had a sweet and spicey finish.

D: pretty decent saison from FFF. I think they had their own take on the style and made it a little bit more intresting; Probably not one of my favorite from 3 floyds.

Gobzilla, Jun 24, 2010
3.08/5  rDev -18.3%

I am finally getting around to reviewing this one-- I had it one last year and a couple times this year. I poured this into Duvel tulip.

So this beer does not smell or taste like anything put out by Three Floyds. The slight lemony, grassy, and herbal notes on the aroma mask a hint of banana and bubblegum. A pale light sweet malt comes across on the taste as well-- but no big flavor really smacks me in the face. This is a pretty simple and easy drinking 9% saison. It is what it is, I guess.

The beer looks like a decent saison-- a golden straw color with a white frothy 2 finger head. The mouthfeel is medium and in need of just a bit more carbonation. The lingering aftertaste is sweet ans thick-- almost syrupy.

The beer is very easy drinking for being 9%... But not all that refreshing as I have come to expect from the style. This is certainly not the huge, boundary-pushing beer that I'd expect from Three Floyds. It isn't bad-- but it doesn't blow my mind either.

AleWatcher, Jun 22, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -14.3%

Big thanks to livewire78 for giving this as an extra.

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Hazy golden orange with minimal head.

S - Slightly funky, with bananas and hints of black pepper.

T - Lots of spice. Tastes of pepper and coriander. Big belgian yeast flavors, and remarkably bitter. Some funkiness, but not overly so. Noticable alcohol heat.

M - Pretty dry, but not as bone dry as some saisons I've had. Low to moderate carbonation.

D - Not the most drinkable beer out there. A little overly bitter, and the spices don't meld particularly well.

Overall, not bad but not my favorite Saison. Very in your face, with not much in the way of balance.

Tiklmelmo, Jun 09, 2010