Rabbid Rabbit - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub

Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub visit their website
Indiana, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.40% ABV

Availability: Spring

7.4% ABV, 25 IBUs - This Franco-Belgian style Farmhouse Ale has an effervescent body and a light straw color. Rabbid Rabbit, with it’s light malt body, augmented by spices, is a complex and frothy beverage with a deceptively high alcohol content. March release.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-2002)
4.28/5  rDev +13.5%

I hate how FFF never puts the date on bottles, however, I'm aware that this was an April release and the store where I recently bought this from probably held onto this longer than they should have.

A: Very cloudy, yet bright orange with about and inch to inch.5 pillowy head that quickly dissipated.

S: Chamomile, muted citrus, and tons of yeasty goodness.

T: Full of taste with the chamomile being the most prominent, and I chuckled when I tasted the rock candy in the aftertaste. The best way to drink this is to hold a sip in your mouth for a few seconds then swallow. After doing that a few times, I could actually taste FFF taste profile on the end! There are some many spices in this dang beer, I actually lost count after about 1,000,000!

M: Sweet and candy-like....How many times have you actually heard that combo to describe a saison? I need to scrub my tongue to get the chamomile and yeast off, but dammit...I like it!

D: One of the weirdest beers I've ever tasted and the sweetness might start to grate on me after a while, but this brew is fantastic. I had had this one last year and forgotten how good it was. When the season rolls around again, I'll definitely trade for a couple more of these or get my family in the Midwest to pick me up some more.

3.55/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Dan for bringing this one by the other night. Pours a cloudy yellow/amber with a minimal amount of white foam. Aromas of brown spices, black pepper and Belgian yeast. Flavors of candi sugar, brown spices and yeast. A pretty decent effort, and enjoyable, but not among the upper tier of U.S. saisons.

3.15/5  rDev -16.4%

I have no idea what inspired the name of this beer, but I hope to find out someday. Maybe it means nothing. Mabye it's like the "33" on a bottle of Roling Rock. Who knows? If the name is a bit different, but the beer is bit....well, not as good as it used to be. This Rabid Rabbit tastes a bit like a strong Euro-lager with a somewhat unpleasant phenolic character. Not as a complex as I remember, nor as tart and spicy. It is golden to amber in color. There is alcohol and some decent bitterness I suppose, but overall I'm very disapointed with this beer.

3.63/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured from 22oz bottle into Tulip.

A. 1 finger head. Pretty thick lacing. Good retention. Color is pure golden.

S. Smell is somewhat hoppy for a Tripel. Nice spice note that you also dont usually find in a Tripel. Some white pepper aroma. Pretty spicy aroma.

T. Taste is very peppery as well. Some malt and belgian yeast lie below. I like pepper dont get me wrong, but I also like my Tripels. Interesting combination, and one that I think goes together well, but I would ease the pepperiness.

M. Medium bodied. Medium carbonation. Pretty dry but the pepperiness lingers on.

D. Fairly drinkable. This is a unique beer. I know that pepper and saison are a good combo. This might be just a little too peppery.

3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

poured out of a 22oz bottle into a Reidel Stemless Red Wine Glass

it pours a hazy orangeish yellowish with a nice soft 1" head on it.

smells nice and yeasty with some nice spices to it, not blowing me away on the smell, but mostly like a Saison should smell

taste is kind of bland for me which is too bad as most of the 3F brews i've had are full of flavor. This didn't have enough of citrus, or spice for me to really get excited about it. It was very drinkable and tasty though, just not up to the top quality thats avaliable for this style.

very easy drinking with great smooth mouthfeel

3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance- light copper in color, small white head, quickly disipating, little lacing

Smell- peppery, clove, sweet fruit, a bit grassy. the aroma reminds me of a triple.

Taste- a bit spicy, lots of clove and banana, subtle hints of the chamomile. flower-y!?

Mouthfeel- medium body, average carbonation

Overall- Very drinkable. Solid brew, may have held on to this bottle a bit too long. When fresh this beer is hard to beat.

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

22oz bottle purchased at Dark Lord Day 2009. We bought a half case for my fiancee, who loves this beer. We stored these in our beer fridge at 42 degrees. This beer was opened to celebrate a friends birthday about 16 months after its bottling date.

Clear orange with some copper and amber hints. Head hangs on with a meager strength before fading away. Just not a great looking saison due to the lack of head and lace.

Smell is a mixture of fruit and herb. There's some peach and apricot hints, then the chamomile takes over. It provides lavendar and flowery hints, and makes this uniue and very good.

This beer tastes great. It has nice herbal qualities from the tea, lavendar and corriander notes, and it has some nice sweetness from the malt. Candi sugar and honey combine with fruitiness to create a unique and pleasant American take on the saison.

Mouthfeel is good for the style. It has medium body and appropriate medium carbonation. The beer is drinkable and enjoyable. The chamomile provides the depth most American saisons are missing from their Belgian farmhouse counterparts. This is a unique and enjoyable beer, recommended for all, and something I would buy again.

2.85/5  rDev -24.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Dogfish shaped pint glass. Poured a hazy amber color with a thin spotty white head. The head disappeared after a minute or so and didn't leave any lacing.

The aroma has a peppery spice to it with a slightly fruity, citrus flavor going on as well. It has a decent aroma to it overall, but it smells like it could have a ton of spice in the taste which scares me.

The taste hits me with a huge unexpected peppercorn flavor right off the bat. Wow is that peppery. It has a bit of a citrusy, orange peel flavor to it and a bit of tart fruit as well, but it's tough to get past the strong spice. The pepper spice is just way too strong for me overall. I will say it tastes incredibly light for being 9%.

The Mouthfeel is on the lighter side with carbonation being on the moderate side. Drinkability is average at best for me, the pepper flavor was just too much for me. It seemed to have some good flavors but they were just overshadowed by the spice. Not one of my favorite FFF beers overall.

3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

650 ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Hazy orange color - very murky looking, thick head recedes quickly. Lots of yeasty sediments collects at the bottom of the glass.

S: Peppery, spicy aroma.

T: Lots of orange peel with a little rum. Very spicy -- mainly peppery type grains of paradise flavor with some alcohol notes.

M: Pretty full bodied beer with lots of carbonation.

D: Nice summer beer to drink on the patio on a hot day. Definitely get another bomber, but I'll be a little more careful in the pour, as there's lots of sediment in this beer.

3.3/5  rDev -12.5%

22oz. bottle poured into a tulip. No bottled date.

(A)- Pours a hazy golden hue that produced a good foamy white head.

(S)- A spicy, very spicy cinnamon and ginger-like apple and wheat aroma.

(T)- Pretty much just like the smell; a fruity apple profile with a spicy background of nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon. Reminds me of apple pie.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. Rather fruity and spicy. Crisp. A much different take on the style. Smooth too, especially considering it is 9%ABV.

(D)- A tasty brew. When you consider the style though, it fits, but in a twisted or bizarre way. I definitely was hoping for some funk, but this is a much more fruit and spice driven one. Not bad, just not what I was expecting. 3 Floyds has better offerings.

3.7/5  rDev -1.9%

Special thanks to Bluejacket74 for hooking this up.

A- Poured from the bottle with a diffuse white head and a collar. No substantial lacing. The body was a hazy pale amber color with a moderate carbonation observed from the sides of the glass.

S- A rich aroma that is yeast forward... a spicy phenolic Belgian yeast aroma presides over a dry pale malt base. Impressions of artisanal bread dough. No hop aroma at all.

T- As anticipated, the pale malts and Belgian yeast dominate the palate. Spicy on the midpalate. Moderately bitter in the dry, peppery finish... not exclusively a hop bitterness... more quinine-like. Overall, I feel like this lacks complexity and deviates substantially from the prototypical saison.

M- A medium body, leaning towards the thin side, with a unique texture that is partially influenced by an abrasive carbonation. A bit of astringency in the mouthfeel as well.

D- Reasonably drinkable... the high ABV is actually well hidden... I never would have guessed 9% ABV by taste alone!

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

22oz bomber courtesy of bauermj thanx for hooking me up

A: poured a pale hazy orange with yellow highlights and a thin head that left very little sticky lacing.

S: apple pepper aromas and orange zest dominate the nose with faint banana and coriander notes. There is also some spice, sweet malts, slight wheat and booze.

T: there actually is pepper flavors apples faint bananas spices and wheat malts. The orange zest and booze are faint but are there in the back.

M: medium to full body with a low amount of carbonation that had a sweet and spicey finish.

D: pretty decent saison from FFF. I think they had their own take on the style and made it a little bit more intresting; Probably not one of my favorite from 3 floyds.

3.08/5  rDev -18.3%

I am finally getting around to reviewing this one-- I had it one last year and a couple times this year. I poured this into Duvel tulip.

So this beer does not smell or taste like anything put out by Three Floyds. The slight lemony, grassy, and herbal notes on the aroma mask a hint of banana and bubblegum. A pale light sweet malt comes across on the taste as well-- but no big flavor really smacks me in the face. This is a pretty simple and easy drinking 9% saison. It is what it is, I guess.

The beer looks like a decent saison-- a golden straw color with a white frothy 2 finger head. The mouthfeel is medium and in need of just a bit more carbonation. The lingering aftertaste is sweet ans thick-- almost syrupy.

The beer is very easy drinking for being 9%... But not all that refreshing as I have come to expect from the style. This is certainly not the huge, boundary-pushing beer that I'd expect from Three Floyds. It isn't bad-- but it doesn't blow my mind either.

3.23/5  rDev -14.3%

Big thanks to livewire78 for giving this as an extra.

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Hazy golden orange with minimal head.

S - Slightly funky, with bananas and hints of black pepper.

T - Lots of spice. Tastes of pepper and coriander. Big belgian yeast flavors, and remarkably bitter. Some funkiness, but not overly so. Noticable alcohol heat.

M - Pretty dry, but not as bone dry as some saisons I've had. Low to moderate carbonation.

D - Not the most drinkable beer out there. A little overly bitter, and the spices don't meld particularly well.

Overall, not bad but not my favorite Saison. Very in your face, with not much in the way of balance.

3.58/5  rDev -5%

Acquired this from gratefulbeerhead so a big THANK YOU goes out to him!
Consumed 5/28 poured in to my Portsmouth tulip

A: This beer pours a hazy burnt orange with a two finger of khaki sudsy head. Head recedes at a moderate pace and leaves wispt lacing on the glass.

S: Nose definitely has hints of alcohol in it, corriander and clove, faint caramel malts, and a bit of yeast.

T: Taste is rather sweet on the forefront, caramel notes, hints of a buttery nature filter through before a breadiness and yeast flavor fill out the middle. Clove, and a rather large dose of corriander come in and finish this beer out.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, creamy and oily texture fill out this one.

D: Goes down ok, milk kick, nice twist of the style. This is a decent beer to have, though the corriander was a bit too overwhelming for me.

Looks like a Saison. slightly hazy gold. Nothing remarkable on for the head/lacing.
Flowery Esters and spring plants, lots of soft bready yeast, a pinch of spices, and light watery fruits like melon and honeydew.
Mouthfeel is full bodied for the style, with a lack of carbination, lost Abbey style. Not very enjoyable IMO for a saison. this one has a low drink factor because of the feel and alcohol present.
Overall one of the less amazing beer from a very amazing brewery. Ok, probally the worst beer i've had from them.

Chad

4.08/5  rDev +8.2%

Three Floyds. Masters of balls-to-the-wall imperial stouts, barleywines, double IPAs, and...saison?? Guess I'm going to find out. Just the very idea of this strikes me as possibly being out of their comfort zone, so I'm pretty interested to taste how Three Floyds pulls this off. Is this some kind of joke, or a serious attempt at the style? At any rate, live review here. I'm just gonna drink and write, we'll see what comes out.

You may not think of saison when you think of Three Floyds, but the label on the bottle is the very epitome of this brewery's garish, irreverent over-the-top style. It's pretty cool, you can't help but smile and laugh at it. It's a psychedelic Easter Bunny on a 'roid rage. At least that's my interpretation.

Appearance is a little below the admittedly-high par for this style, with only a thin cap of foam adorning the top of my tulip. Clear-ish gold, though the second pour with the sediment clouds things up considerably. Have to give 3F big props here for not filtering this beer - maybe they really are serious about this.

Aroma is all saison - perfume-y lavender, wildflowers, a little old-sock yeasty funk. A little maple syrup as it warms?

I have to admit, my first glass, I was not terribly impressed. It seemed too alcoholic, and was too harsh as a result. At least that's what I thought. It goes to show that first impressions are sometimes wrong, as the more I have of this, the more I like it. The 9% ABV seems to calm down, allowing the drinker to get a handle on what this beer is all about. It's peppery, no doubt - the Belgian yeast strain has clearly worked overtime. I also get notes of black tea and lavender accompanying a fleeting sweetbread. You might have expected an uber-hoppy interpretation of this style, yet the hops, while present in their grassy, spicy goodness, are kept in check by the active yeast. I'm guessing 3F used Saaz here.

I'm on the second pour, and the addition of the sediment has only helped the beer, giving it a noticeably softer, rounder mouthfeel and even more flavor depth.

Have to admit, based on the first few sips I really thought this was going to be a slog. It's not a quick drinker, but over the course of a bomber to myself, it proved to be very enjoyable. Now, I'm not going to put it up there with Fantome and Saison Dupont, but it is a cool stab at the style from an American brewery not known for it.

3.28/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a slightly hazy golden yellow color with a small/no head and white ring..the smell is spice and fruit,slight clove and coriander.the taste is crisp with a spice and clove hit first then some fruit and corriander maybe some pepper and lemon or citrus peel..the mout feel is medium and this brew did not impress me for the style it was just average..FFF is one of my favorite go to brewery's ..this style is not there forte .this will be a try one and done 4 me

3.78/5  rDev +0.3%

A- Dark orange, especially for a saison. Poured small head that settles and dies instantly to less than a film- completely disappears.

S- Smells very sweet almost as if the rock candy is evident in the nose. Also very floral and some lemon in the after smell...

T- Taste is overall sweet. There is a strong vanilla taste that is balanced by a citrusy fruit- orange or lemon almost. The taste is finished out very sweet, like a fig.

M- Medium to full-ish bodied and lightly carbonated. Would liked to this be to a bit lighter

D- Unfortunately I drank this on the same night I had Saison Dupont so that is the comparison. Not nearly as drinkable or smooth and the flavors are good, but don't balance quite as nicely.

3.58/5  rDev -5%

2009 Vintage 22oz bottle poured into my Three Floyds imperial pint glass...pretty much exactly 1 year old at time of review...

Pours a golden straw yellow. About 2-3 fingers of soft white head form after a fairly vigorous pour...very slight bit of haze...

Wow, spicy! Maybe a little too much spice for my tastes...the nose somewhat indicates I may not really care for this beer, as I am not a fan of over-spiced saisons...chamomile, pepper, clove and an overall spicy yeast aroma dominate the nose...also somewhat fruity and sugary, a bit of sweetness emerges after your nose gets used to the spice...

OK, not quite as over-spiced taste as the nose would elude to. Sweet and sugary, bit of bubblegum and some tropical fruit. Some earthy and ever so slight bitter hop presence. Belgian yeast and peppery...bit of an alcohol burn after a few sips...

Medium bodied and lightly carbonated...slick on the palette due to the low carb, tangy, spicy and alcohol burn intensifies as you drink...

Not a bad beer at all, just not my style...I like more of the funky earthy saisons than this type of spicy (too much IMO) saison...

3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

Hazy amber to orange color with a small head which recedes quickly. The aroma has apricots, peaches, coriander, and cloves. The taste is just like the aroma, only somewhat stronger and peppery. Very nice.

Medium bodied, slick feel, decent carbonation, and the alcohol is well hidden for 9.0 % abv. I would not hesitate to buy this again.

4.55/5  rDev +20.7%

RR is a beautiful saison.

Was lucky enough to enjoy RR in a tulip glass in the FFF brewpub during DL Day. The ambiance of the event may have levitated my review, but I've had the pleasure of this rabbit before.

There's none of the Alpha King wort present in RR, as this is a pure and independent interpretation of a Belgium, and its done very well. The appearance was a cloudy, deep yellow. A wonderful bouquet, and the mouth feel had a bit more alcohol content than I remember. Given the alcohol content it was a bit drier than my recollection, but it only forces you to slow down and savor this delicious beer.

4.28/5  rDev +13.5%

Golden-orange with a thin white head that fades quickly.
Belgian yeast, ample hops, and malts come in first on the nose. Peach, orange, apple, and bubblegum follow.
Taste is peppery malts intertwined with the Belgian yeast flavor. Fresh fruits, including peach, apple, orange, and apricot can be detected. Sweet bubblegum flavor accompanies, presumably from the rock candy. Finish is malty, with some pepper and grapefruit.
Mouthfeel is smooth, with a low level of carbonation. Finish is slightly dry. Medium-light body.
Drinkability is very good. There is little to no alcohol presence in the nose or taste. Unique tasting saision, almost like a blend between a saison and wheat ale.

3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a rich orange/yellow. Cloudy with no chunks. Smallish head drops to a film after 3 minutes.
Smell is hops, malt, yeast, citrus (orange/tangerine/lemon), spice. Well balanced. Less hoppy than some of their other offerings.
Taste is all that the nose promises with some alcohol note.
Medium bodied, tightly effervesent, slightly warming in the throat and back of palate. Some resiny aspect to the aftertaste is the only knock I can find. A very good brew indeed. Glad I stopped in.

2.28/5  rDev -39.5%

Poured into my Delirium Tremens Tulip. Poured right out of the refrigerator, but let it warm up significantly in the glass before tasting.

A: Great orangish appearance. Reminds me of a perfectly ripe peach. Lacing is clumpy and lingers.

N: Spice, specifically peppercorn, is foremost but is rounded out nicely with summer fruits (peach and apples predominantly). Hints of banana esters really hit home that this is a Saison. While I do enjoy the components, I don't feel they work very well together in this beer.

T: Lots of pepper on the on the front palate that leads into a subtle candy sugar sweetness that lingers. Again, the components don't play nicely together and seems a bit one dimensional with the spice dominating. The alcohol is perfectly masked though, especially for rocking out at 9%.

M: A bit buttery and thick for the style. Carbonation is well done.

D: At 9%, it is definitely not session-able, however it is quite drinkable, so be careful!

Overall I think this is just too sweet for a Saison and far too one dimensional for my liking. The spice one dimensionality and real lack of complexity make this kind of a dud in my book. Definitely a different take on the Saison style, but not to it's benefit.

Rabbid Rabbit from Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub